Tilipia

1 view

Aquari

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
I see these fish in the grocery store. What I see is the whole fish. (I
suppose it has been gutted.) Anyone know how to cook these fish? Are they
like any other fish as far as flavor and texture go? I probably would like to
try one, but I have no idea what to do with it! Thanks for your help.

Libby

notbob

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00

Aquari

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00

The Trinker

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00

Umm...Libby? Epicurious spells is "tilapia".

http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/browse?entry_id=10589

--
DO NOT SEND REPLIES DIRECTLY TO THIS E-MAIL!
tri...@pacbell.net is a spamdump, and is not read.

Cyrit

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
On 01 Apr 2000 21:37:30 GMT, aqu...@aol.com (Aquari) masterminded the
following incredible lines :

**>I see these fish in the grocery store. What I see is the whole fish.
(I
**>suppose it has been gutted.) Anyone know how to cook these fish? Are
they
**>like any other fish as far as flavor and texture go? I probably would
like to
**>try one, but I have no idea what to do with it! Thanks for your help.
**>
**>Libby
**>

It is Tilapia, in California anyways. Ranch 99 markets (Oriental) have it
usually 99 cents a pound whole. I love this stuff.

Suppose to origin from Africa. Now it is the most farmed fish around
here. Fish farmers get the most disease resistant fish and the most pound
of meat per feed dollar. It is becoming very popular. They call it the
Millennium fish, as they claim it will be the most popular fish in 2000 and
beyond.

The meat is semi firm and delicate at the same time. The skin, once you
scrape the scales, can be left on and it is delicate and actually very good
tasting.

In the market they offer Fry service. This is how Tilapia is prepared
most often. Score the meat and simply deep fry the fish. I usually marinate
and BBQ. I use a Miso (japanese soy paste) and rice vinegar mixture to
marinate it in for a couple of hours, then BBQ. It stands up to it very
well.

I have made it steamed, with scallions and ginger. Awesome. I've also
rolled it in Hungarian paprika, salt and pepper, then fried it in a skillet
both sides. Excellent.

This fish is not as bony as most perch like fish are. It is economical
and delicious. If you buy the filets, you pay way too much money, and miss
out on flavor as well.

Hope this helps. I think it is almost not possible to go wrong with
Tilapia. Or however authorities spell it:)

Eat well, and drink deep:)

CyRit

Who : cyrit
Where : @mindspring
Tail end : .com

Zxcvbob

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
> Whatever.....you can always call it by its other name if you can't
> decide which spelling you deem proper: St. Peters Fish.
>
> It is supposed to be the same species of fish that St. Peter did the
> multiplication of the 'loaves and fishes' deal that you read about in
> the Bible.

I don't recall Peter ever doing anything miraculous with loaves and
fishes. Jesus did, twice (Matthew 14:13-21 and Matthew 15:29-39).

regards,
bob

--
"Well he may be a fool, but he's our fool;
if you think you're better than him, you're wrong."

Erik J Carlson

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
If you have any Mexican/American or Central American aquaintances, you might
ask them if they've prepared it. Many of my friends here eat a lot of it and
think its funny how the anglo population here won't buy it. They generally
call it carp. It is very easy to aquafarm apparently.

--
Erik, Type 1 dx at 28
Another example of better living thru' chemistry...

PENMART10

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Aquari wrote:

> I see these fish in the grocery store. What I see is the whole fish. (I
> suppose it has been gutted.) Anyone know how to cook these fish? Are they
> like any other fish as far as flavor and texture go? I probably would like
> to try one, but I have no idea what to do with it! Thanks for your help.
>
> Libby

Can you describe the appearance and size of this fish?

Tilipia includes many types of fresh water perch.
Also, Talapya, a different kind of fish, includes the Jacks and Pompanos, which
are types of perch as well.

If these fish are caught locally to where you live they're more than likely
some species of lake perch. They should be very good eating, with a delicate
white flesh.
But remember, perch are boney, you might want them fileted, but I'd rather pick
the bones.

You can locate information here:

from: www.fishbase.org

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Scomberoides&
speciesname=lysan

Sheldon
````````````
On a recent Night Court rerun, Judge Harry Stone had a wonderful line:
"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

Aquari

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00

>> >It's spelled TALAPIA. Here's some recipes:
>> >
>> >http://www.wbrz.com/recdec99.htm
>> >http://www.wbrz.com/recipmar.htm
>> >http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/recipes/meat/seafood/fish/bronzed-talapia1.rec
>> >http://www.wrigleymansionclub.com/recipe-feb99.htm#talapia
>> >
>> >nb
>> >

>> Thanks for the spelling and the recipes.
>

>Umm...Libby? Epicurious spells is "tilapia".
>
>http://www.epicurious.com/run/fooddictionary/browse?entry_id=10589

I think "tilapia" is how it is spelled in the grocery store now that I think of
it. I have no idea where it comes from, but I will ask the butcher when I go
there early this week. I have never seen filets of this fish, just the whole
fish.... head, tail and all. Filets would make it easier for me.

Libby

Aquari

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Sheldon,

It is about 8 ot 9 inches in length, dark silvery scales and its body is much
rounder and thicker than a trout. From the underbelly to the dorsal fins, I
would guess it measures about 5 inches. Fins just look like basic fish fins to
me! It is always a whole fish, not filets here in the wilds of Idaho where the
checkers don't know what a turnip looks like and don't think that charging me
$7.19 for one whole cauliflower is a bit outrageous! LOL!!

Libby

Libby

WardNA

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
>I have never seen filets of this fish, just the whole
>fish.... head, tail and all. Filets would make it easier for me.

The Safeway here (DC) offers tilapia filets at about $8.00 a pound most of the
time. It's a firm-fleshed fish that tastes and behaves quite a bit like
grouper.

Neil

H. Paul Jacobson

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Erik J Carlson wrote:

> If you have any Mexican/American or Central American aquaintances, you might
> ask them if they've prepared it. Many of my friends here eat a lot of it and
> think its funny how the anglo population here won't buy it. They generally
> call it carp. It is very easy to aquafarm apparently.

I've had it at a couple of Mexican Taquerias (in San Francisco and
Seattle). The whole fish is scored deeply on both sides and deep fried.
Getting the whole fish on the platter with the sides of rice and beans is
a big part of the charm of this dish, called 'pescado frito' (fried fish).
The crisp skin is also good. And you can gross out your friends by
picking at the eyes and the head:-) One fish per person makes a generous
meal with the sides.

Paul

Aquari

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Thanks so much for your comments. A bunch of years ago I had the chance to
take a group of kids to Disneyworld where we saw this fish being farmed and
they said it was the "fish of the future". I don't recall what the fish looked
like, but I do know it was tilapia. That is what got me interested in it when
I saw it in the grocery store.

Libby

pablo

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
In article <Pine.OSF.4.21a.0004020046310.24303-
100...@saul9.u.washington.edu>,
*
Is it the same fish they use for ceviche on Good Friday? I've had that
in Sonora, but could not identify the type of fish.
--
Hasta,
Pablo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

H. Paul Jacobson

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, pablo wrote:

> Is it the same fish they use for ceviche on Good Friday? I've had that
> in Sonora, but could not identify the type of fish.

Most any fresh fish could be used for ceviche, but a 'meaty saltwater
fish' [R. Bayless, Authentic Mexican] is most likely. Bayless mentions a
mackerel, striped bass, grouper (sea bass), halibut and fluke. On the
west coast of South America 'corvina' is the norm (I think this is the
same as sea bass in the US markets).

Shrimp and other shellfish are common in ceviche - in some places more so
than fish.

Paul

Minnie

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
http://www.eattilapia.com/

I saw this website advertised in the fish case at our local grocery store
this evening...thought it might help. Oh and for all of you that are in
Southeastern PA...Genuardi's has tilapia and salmon filets on sale for
$3.99/lb.!!!....only until tomorrow though, new sales start on Wednesday.

enjoy,

Minnie

Zarathud the Reclining

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Check your sources. It's spelled "tilapia".

In article <38E67C5D...@NOThome.com>,
notbob <not...@NOThome.com> wrote:
#snip#

> It's spelled TALAPIA. Here's some recipes:

#snip#

--
Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is
not a crime. -- Ernest Hemingway

Robin Nelson

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
On Mon, 03 Apr 2000 06:35:10 -0700, Scott B. <sco...@northcoast.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 22:54:23 -0600, Zxcvbob <zxc...@tcw.net> wrote:
>
>>> Whatever.....you can always call it by its other name if you can't
>>> decide which spelling you deem proper: St. Peters Fish.
>>>
>>> It is supposed to be the same species of fish that St. Peter did the
>>> multiplication of the 'loaves and fishes' deal that you read about in
>>> the Bible.
>>

>>I don't recall Peter ever doing anything miraculous with loaves and
>>fishes. Jesus did, twice (Matthew 14:13-21 and Matthew 15:29-39).
>>
>>regards,
>>bob
>

>Heheh, you are indeed correct. However, St. Peter was there - and the
>alternate name for the fish in our discussion is St. Peter's Fish.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott W. Binder
>Arcata, Humboldt County, CA
>ICQ #108536
>http://www.northcoast.com/~scottb
>For my Personal Recipe Archive,
>ftp://208.25.189.9

I believe Saint Peter's fish is a common misnomer for tilapia. The
latter is a freshwater fresh originally found in African rivers -- not
the salty Sea of Galilee -- now farmed heavily in Costa Rica, which
is where most of it comes from.

The true Saint Peter's fish is a grotesque but good tasting saltwater
fish the French call Saint Pierre, and the British know as John Dory.