Thunderbird Set Up

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2024, 11:32:16 PMFeb 19

I've downloaded Thunderbird and it's asking me what I want to enter
as Newsgroup Server. Would that be something like EternalSeptember?
I'm clueless.

Hank Rogers

Feb 19, 2024, 11:39:08 PMFeb 19

Hank Rogers

Feb 19, 2024, 11:45:58 PMFeb 19
Go here and sign in to your ES account and I think you'll find all the
settings you need. If not let me (or most anyone) knaw and will try to help
more.

https://www.eternal-september.org/signon.php

Hank Rogers

Feb 19, 2024, 11:48:08 PMFeb 19
Look for a button called "user settings"

Hank Rogers

Feb 19, 2024, 11:53:35 PMFeb 19
Here's a tutorial to set up ES on thunderbird:

https://rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic.narkive.com/4VMcGemC/ot-configuring-thunderbird-for-eternal-september

I don't know how accurate it is, but may help some.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2024, 11:59:02 PMFeb 19
I must be doing something wrong. Thunderbird keeps taking me in circles.
I've got an account now at ES and I enter that at Thunderbird but it asks for it
again.

GM

Feb 19, 2024, 11:59:39 PMFeb 19
Thank you kindly, Hank...

--
GM

Hank Rogers

Feb 20, 2024, 12:03:54 AMFeb 20
I don't understand, please be more specific.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 20, 2024, 12:04:25 AMFeb 20
On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 10:53:35 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers wrote:

I'll have to fool with this tomorrow, too late to get my blood pressure up.

Hank Rogers

Feb 20, 2024, 12:09:22 AMFeb 20
Probably a good idea to start fresh. I'll try to help, but I use the
similar seamonkey newsreader, and not eternal september, though I have used
it in the past, and it is still setup in seamonkey and working.

Maybe a real expert will stop in. Doesn't the squirtz know most everything?

Bruce

Feb 20, 2024, 12:26:37 AMFeb 20
Is it asking for your password?

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 20, 2024, 4:43:40 AMFeb 20
Any time you have a computer problem, your first stop should be google.*
"eternal september setup instructions":

https://rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic.narkive.com/4VMcGemC/ot-configuring-thunderbird-for-eternal-september

Since this is 13 years old, the Thunderbird interface may have moved
things around a little bit.

*Many IT professionals use google any time they get a question they
don't know the answer to.

--
Cindy Hamilton

brooktrout

Feb 20, 2024, 9:50:37 AMFeb 20
Here's another short tutorrial for setting up Thunderbird.
https://www.i2pn2.org/common/Thunderbird/Usenet-Thunderbird.html

If you want to kepp using a browser, here's a web access to usenet site.
https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=rec.food.cooking

Hope to see you after Feb 22.

brooktrout

Feb 20, 2024, 11:10:29 AMFeb 20
brooktrout wrote:

> If you want to kepp using a browser, here's a web access to usenet site.
> https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=rec.food.cooking

Is this the improved version? Hope so. Anyhoo posting from a web browser works.

brooktrout

Feb 20, 2024, 11:20:35 AMFeb 20
Wouldjalookatthat. It even will display headers.
Kiss my grits, Google.

dsi1

Feb 20, 2024, 12:07:03 PMFeb 20
That's nice. Now Agent users can finally find out how word wrapping really works!

bruce bowser

Feb 20, 2024, 12:20:02 PMFeb 20
Its tough to tell whether we're still in the 1990's Stone Age or whether we're in the 21st century.

dsi1

Feb 20, 2024, 12:46:43 PMFeb 20
If you don't understand word wrapping, which is a main tenant of word processing, your level of understanding is still in the 1970's. There's no problem with not knowing what word wrapping is, just don't bandy the word about as if you do. That's lame.

Hank Rogers

Feb 20, 2024, 1:40:31 PMFeb 20
You said it, Tojo.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 20, 2024, 3:34:30 PMFeb 20
This will do me just fine. Thunderbird and eternal-september keep taking me
in circles. There must be something I'm not understanding in the set up so
this site fills the bill and keeps my b/p in manageable levels.

bruce bowser

Feb 20, 2024, 3:35:36 PMFeb 20
It still feels better hearing that DIRECTLY from a help desk, today, now, right at this moment. Rather, than from well-meaning 2nd 3rd or 4th parties.

jmcquown

Feb 20, 2024, 6:32:40 PMFeb 20
Eternal September (free, you need to create a account with them) or US
Blocknews (a small fee but really cheap for the amount of gigabytes you
get that will last for years).

Jill

Bruce

Feb 20, 2024, 6:34:38 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:32:31 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You also need to create an account with Blocknews. It's a matter of
preference. Do you prefer to pay nothing or do you prefer to pay a
small fee?

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 20, 2024, 8:10:30 PMFeb 20
I did create an account at Thunderbird and at ES, but like I said it must
be something I'm doing wrong for them to put me on that merry-go-round. I
gave up and am now using that site that was posted several hours ago.

Bruce

Feb 20, 2024, 8:43:37 PMFeb 20
I think one of your Sisterhood friends should have given you a call
and guided you through the settings.

But maybe this new thing's reliable.

Hank Rogers

Feb 20, 2024, 8:48:36 PMFeb 20
At least the problem is solved. Glad you'll be staying. :)

Too bad it can't work for uncle Tojo. He's bleated and crowed about google
and da future for so many years that it would be a great loss of face to
show up using anything other than google. And yoose know how asians are
about saving face.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 20, 2024, 10:10:28 PMFeb 20
He can use the site that 'brooktrout' posted, it's what I'm using now. He'll
need to sign in with a password and that's about all he'll need.

"If you want to keep using a browser, here's a web access to usenet site.
https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=rec.food.cooking"

Graham

Feb 20, 2024, 10:14:16 PMFeb 20
I got fed up with ES breakdowns so I now have Blocknews/TBird and I have
no problems.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 20, 2024, 10:15:33 PMFeb 20
https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=rec.food.cooking

Leave off the end quote that my post of a moment ago included.

Ed P

Feb 20, 2024, 11:01:06 PMFeb 20
Same here. ES went down to frequently. Blocknews was only a few bucks
for a few years. I've only used 2.06GB so far. Two bucks will last my
lifetime.

Hank Rogers

Feb 20, 2024, 11:40:09 PMFeb 20
ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:

>>> I did create an account at Thunderbird and at ES, but like I said it must
>>> be something I'm doing wrong for them to put me on that
>>> merry-go-round.  I gave up and am now using that site that was posted
>>> several hours ago.
>
>> At least the problem is solved. Glad you'll be staying.   :)
>
>> Too bad it can't work for uncle Tojo. He's bleated and crowed about
>> google and da future for so many years that it would be a great loss of
>> face to show up using anything other than google. And yoose know how
>> asians are about saving face.
>>
> He can use the site that 'brooktrout' posted, it's what I'm using now.  He'll
> need to sign in with a password and that's about all he'll need.

No, he can't use anything but google if he wants to save face. Using that
one would prove he's an ignorant crowing loudmouth. And he knows it.

Bruce

Feb 20, 2024, 11:45:35 PMFeb 20
I've had no ES breakdowns that were so bad that I remember them.

dsi1

Feb 21, 2024, 1:53:34 AMFeb 21
I had problems with Eternal September and other providers. The providers were so wonky that I had 3 different accounts with different providers for backup. My guess is that these services are more reliable these days because they're probably using cloud servers. They'd be stupid not too. I abandoned them over a decade ago and haven't looked back. I'm still looking forward to my retirement - from all this. Oh what a relief that is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7XBkHqxxsr8vQrHL8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sY8Qu7ejuff4f1NR9

Hank Rogers

Feb 21, 2024, 2:19:17 AMFeb 21
Indeed uncle, you can devote all yoose energy to making da future perfect.
It will also give folks in the present a break from yoose blather and
ignorance.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 2:27:02 AMFeb 21
Maybe if I needed it for work, I'd be more careful, but the rare times
I notice a hiccup with my Usenet server, it's always very short. A
couple of months ago, there was a hiccup to do with spam via Google
Groups, I believe. I survived without trauma.

Nice cat, by the way.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 21, 2024, 5:00:32 AMFeb 21
Quite often, something that's free is worth exactly what you paid for
it.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 5:04:34 AMFeb 21
Eternal September works well and is free. How unamerican is that?

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 21, 2024, 9:07:23 AMFeb 21
Perhaps the server you use is better than the one(s) in use by
people reporting problems.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 11:42:11 AMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 14:07:16 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
Yes, that's possible. On the other hand, it's only Usenet. If it
doesn't work for half a day, that doesn't bother me. It would a bit if
it was a mail server.

cshenk

Feb 21, 2024, 3:16:21 PMFeb 21
brooktrout wrote:

> brooktrout wrote:
>
> > If you want to kepp using a browser, here's a web access to usenet
> > site.
> > https://news.novabbs.org/interests/thread.php?group=rec.food.cooking
>
> Is this the improved version? Hope so. Anyhoo posting from a web
> browser works.

Yes, novabbs 1:114/487

Host,114,NC_Net_114_Arizona,Colorado_Springs_Co,Tj_Barlow,-
(Net coordinator AZ)

Site:
,487,Novabbs,Phoenix_AZ,Richard_Miller,-Unpublished-,9600,CM,XX,INA:nova
bbs.org,IBN,IFT,ITN

There's others doing same.

cshenk

Feb 21, 2024, 3:39:40 PMFeb 21
Bruce wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 20:58:58 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 10:53:35 PM UTC-6, Hank Rogers
> > wrote:

> enter >> > as Newsgroup Server. Would that be something like
> EternalSeptember? >> > I'm clueless.
> >> >
> >> Here's a tutorial to set up ES on thunderbird:
> >>

> https://rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic.narkive.com/4VMcGemC/ot-confi
> guring-thunderbird-for-eternal-september >> >> I don't know how
> accurate it is, but may help some.
> > >
> > I must be doing something wrong. Thunderbird keeps taking me in
> > circles. I've got an account now at ES and I enter that at
> > Thunderbird but it asks for it again.
>
> Is it asking for your password?

What makes me laugh is all the TBird tutorials. Xananews doesn't have
one other than the info in the package when you downlad it. Why?
Because it's that simple to setup.

https://xananews.software.informer.com/download/#download_content

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 4:13:10 PMFeb 21
As I keep saying, it can't handle more than a few levels of quoted
text. It makes a mess. Look at this beauty from your post:

Laguna Material

Feb 21, 2024, 4:55:18 PMFeb 21
Hmm, not done with you comrades yet.

Hank Rogers

Feb 21, 2024, 5:11:19 PMFeb 21
Are you saying xana is for dummies?

jmcquown

Feb 21, 2024, 6:22:21 PMFeb 21
On 2/20/2024 10:14 PM, Graham wrote:
I've had both for years, although I recently had to set up ES again
after Blocknews was somehow missing or dropping posts. The thing about
ES was I had to futz around with it to get it let me sign in and then
download the listing of ngs to subscribe to. It was a bit of a PITA but
it works. I have access to both newsservers again.

Jill

jmcquown

Feb 21, 2024, 6:29:13 PMFeb 21
The question is does this web brower access to RFC provide filtering
capability? Or will the newsgroup continue to be flooded with the same
crap posts Google let in?

Jill

brooktrout

Feb 21, 2024, 6:35:30 PMFeb 21
cshenk wrote:

> What makes me laugh is all the TBird tutorials. Xananews doesn't have
> one other than the info in the package when you downlad it. Why?
> Because it's that simple to setup.

> https://xananews.software.informer.com/download/#download_content

Ummm, that's not the latest and greatest version of Xananews.
The world has moved on to 1.21
<https://github.com/graemeg/xananews>

Upgrade! Might fix the broken quoting when you fail to snip.

S Viemeister

Feb 21, 2024, 6:37:35 PMFeb 21
I've splurged.

I pay ten Euros a year for the German newsserver, which filters out most
of the spammy cr@p, and has been very reliable.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 6:38:21 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:29:04 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Your Usenet provider should stop those messages. I hardly see any,
until I go (went) to Google Groups.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 6:40:58 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:22:12 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 2/20/2024 10:14 PM, Graham wrote:
>> On 2024-02-20 4:32 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Eternal September (free, you need to create a account with them) or US
>>> Blocknews (a small fee but really cheap for the amount of gigabytes
>>> you get that will last for years).
>>>
>>> Jill
>> I got fed up with ES breakdowns so I now have Blocknews/TBird and I have
>> no problems.
>
>I've had both for years, although I recently had to set up ES again
>after Blocknews was somehow missing or dropping posts. The thing about
>ES was I had to futz around with it to get it let me sign in

User name and password tend to do the trick.

>and then download the listing of ngs to subscribe to. It was a bit of a PITA but
>it works.

That's between you and your Usenet client and isn't specific for ES.
The procedure for Blocknews would be the same.

>I have access to both newsservers again.

Yay.

dsi1

Feb 21, 2024, 6:49:50 PMFeb 21
On Tuesday, February 20, 2024 at 9:27:02 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Nice cat, by the way.

https://aitestkitchen.withgoogle.com/tools/image-fx

jmcquown

Feb 21, 2024, 6:54:37 PMFeb 21
I used to use NIN. I had problems with it several years ago and
couldn't get any support for a problem so I gave up on it.

Jill

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 21, 2024, 7:20:36 PMFeb 21
That page you posted is their homepage unless I'm missing something.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 21, 2024, 7:20:37 PMFeb 21
jmcquown wrote:

> The question is does this web browser access to RFC provide filtering
> capability? Or will the newsgroup continue to be flooded with the same
> crap posts Google let in?
>
> Jill

I haven't seen any filtering capabilities with this site. But hopefully those
idiots won't make their way here as they loved the Google Groups because GG
never tried to put a stop to them.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 7:20:56 PMFeb 21
I used them for years and they were fine.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 7:22:01 PMFeb 21
On Wed, 21 Feb 2024 18:54:28 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
There's more information on the Internet than any one support person
can give you.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 7:54:25 PMFeb 21
Do you have to manually keep the line lengths reasonable, like on
Google Groups?

Hank Rogers

Feb 21, 2024, 8:43:48 PMFeb 21
Doesn't your majesty have very powerful filters already?

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 21, 2024, 10:00:32 PMFeb 21
I am manually doing that like I did in Google Groups. But I'm going to reply to you with this verrrry long line and tell me if it looks like a mess on your screen. I'll say it is covering the whole posting area I'm using with this service. Do I need to continue manually keep my lines a reasonable length?? I don't mind as I'm used to doing it.

Let me know if this response length makes you want to pull your hair out. 😄

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 11:13:09 PMFeb 21
Yes, it looks like one of those endless Google Groups posts by dsi1,
Lenona, Greg etc :)

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 21, 2024, 11:24:05 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-21, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> I did create an account at Thunderbird and at ES, but like I said it must
> be something I'm doing wrong for them to put me on that merry-go-round. I
> gave up and am now using that site that was posted several hours ago.

I'm speaking from the Mac world, but all you need is a User ID and
password from ES. Everything else is monkeying with Thunderbird until it
accepts ES.
If you don't get too bored with the monkeying, Thunderbird may be worth
it. A lot of people here use it. If you're happy with what you just
found, ignore this last paragraph.
At any rate, don't leave.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 11:33:00 PMFeb 21
On 22 Feb 2024 04:23:57 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2024-02-21, ItsJoanNotJoAnn <ItsJoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> I did create an account at Thunderbird and at ES, but like I said it must
>> be something I'm doing wrong for them to put me on that merry-go-round. I
>> gave up and am now using that site that was posted several hours ago.
>

>I'm speaking from the Mac world, but all you need is a User ID and
>password from ES. Everything else is monkeying with Thunderbird until it
>accepts ES.

That's it. Provided you have your user name and password correct, any
problem is not with ES, it's with Thunderbird.

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 21, 2024, 11:37:14 PMFeb 21
I've used NIN for years without a problem. Thanks to Mr. Wertz, I think,
I hold Blocknews in reserve. I signed up years ago and haven't used a
single byte, but it's ready when I am.
If Blocknews goes under, and I lose the ten or twenty bucks I invested,
I can handle it by shuffling some assets around.

Bruce

Feb 21, 2024, 11:45:09 PMFeb 21
On 22 Feb 2024 04:37:06 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Worst case, you sell your watch :)

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 22, 2024, 12:25:43 AMFeb 22
🫡 Ok, that lets me know that unless I keep my lines at a reasonable length
then they do look like a mess running off the page like at Google Groups.

dsi1

Feb 22, 2024, 1:44:08 AMFeb 22
That's because your reader can only post with a maximum of 72 characters per line before it has to add a carriage return. Modern web pages are possible on a wide range of displays because text and visual elements are able to change size and line length on the fly - instantly.
As a graphic artist, I'm amazed how web pages can fit on tablets, phones, and tablets, in different sizes and orientations. Back in the 80's, getting graphics and text to fit properly on a page was a most vexing problem. These days, I can read rfc posts even on a cell phone. How awesome is that? Of course, posts from archaic programs with forced carriage returns look kind of retarded on a cell phone or narrow display.
You might depend on your computer to make a living but your understanding of your main work tool is practically non-existent. That's a crying shame.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4qHHSz4aDKp56nZ18

Bruce

Feb 22, 2024, 1:47:32 AMFeb 22
There's nothing to understand. Google Groups doesn't follow Usenet
conventions, so GG posts can look very bad. I can live with that.
There's no drama.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 22, 2024, 5:15:28 AMFeb 22
On 2024-02-22, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> That's because your reader can only post with a maximum of 72 characters
> per line before it has to add a carriage return.

Funny, my 1990s-style Usenet client lets me configure the line length.

> Modern web pages are possible on a wide range of displays because
> text and visual elements are able to change size and line length on
> the fly - instantly.

Usenet is not a goddamn web page.

> As a graphic artist, I'm amazed how web pages can fit on tablets,
> phones, and tablets, in different sizes and orientations. Back in
> the 80's, getting graphics and text to fit properly on a page was
> a most vexing problem. These days, I can read rfc posts even on a
> cell phone. How awesome is that? Of course, posts from archaic
> programs with forced carriage returns look kind of retarded on
> a cell phone or narrow display.

And not a single fuck was given.

--
Cindy Hamilton

BryanGSimmons

Feb 22, 2024, 6:58:06 AMFeb 22
On 2/20/2024 10:40 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>> Hank Rogers wrote:

>>> At least the problem is solved. Glad you'll be staying.   :)
>>
>>> Too bad it can't work for uncle Tojo. He's bleated and crowed about
>>> google and da future for so many years that it would be a great loss
>>> of face to show up using anything other than google. And yoose know
>>> how asians are about saving face.
>>>
>> He can use the site that 'brooktrout' posted, it's what I'm using
>> now.  He'll
>> need to sign in with a password and that's about all he'll need.
>>

> No, he can't use anything but google if he wants to save face. Using
> that one would prove he's an ignorant crowing loudmouth. And he knows it.

I'm more concerned about our local pervert.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

brooktrout

Feb 22, 2024, 9:05:32 AMFeb 22
jmcquown wrote:

> The question is does this web brower access to RFC provide filtering
> capability? Or will the newsgroup continue to be flooded with the same
> crap posts Google let in?

Near as I can tell, users can not filter posts. I'm not seeing any spam
from Google.

If Google really does dixconnect from usenet, the spammers will go someplace.
Spammers gotta spam. There's somebody that cares about usenet running
novabbs. Expect spammers to have their account cancelled. Don't fail to
report spam.
mail-complaints-to="use...@i2pn2.org"
Although I expect it will turn out to be another game of whack-a-mole, maybe
spamassasin will prvent spammy posts from being sent.

Still waiting for Google Groups to disappear from usenet.

Dave Smith

Feb 22, 2024, 9:54:50 AMFeb 22
I am not seeing a problem with it.