OT: Skylights SUCK!

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 8:51:39 PM8/3/21
Just thought I'd add that all CAPS thing for fun. :) Seriously, there
is a large skylight in the master bathroom over the sink area and I need
to have it resealed. It's been pouring down rain and it has started
leaking. I have two buckets sitting under it right now to catch the drips.

Meahile, I've called a professional who works in the building trades and
has done a lot of work on houses in this area (he knew my parents and
did a lot of work for them and also for me in the ensuing years. He's
very busy so I left a message and also an urgent call-back number.

I'm hoping he can recommend someone who will do the work at a reasonable
price. No way am I going to pay someone an exhorbitant amount to reseal
it. That's all it needs.

OB Food: a petite beef filet, seasoned with S&P and garlic powder, pan
seared. Boiled new potatoes tossed in butter with a little dill weed.
Steamed broccoli.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 3, 2021, 10:04:09 PM8/3/21
Don't patch it, do the job right. Get a 300 year slate roof and never
worry again. How are the gutters?

https://oldworldroofingco.com/

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 10:10:33 PM8/3/21
Slate? Not vintage tile? Heh.

The gutters are fine, thanks. Don't need copper. :)

Jill

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 12:47:53 AM8/4/21
On 8/3/2021 8:51 PM, jmcquown wrote:
A house that I lived in growing up had leaking skylights for years.
They do tend to be quite problematic. If yours can be easily sealed,
consider yourself lucky. My step-dad still lives in this house, and
they still leak from time to time decades later. They've been "sealed"
professionally more than once.

dsi1

Aug 4, 2021, 3:46:51 AM8/4/21
My dad installed corrugated fiberglass panel skylights in our patio. It provides good, natural, lighting. The birds like to bathe in the water when water collects in the groves. It's so damn cute to see under them when they're playing in the water. He designed the panels to blow out during a storm. We haven't been able to test out his theory that it would keep the roof from flying off. Hopefully, we never will.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:10:06 AM8/4/21
jmcquown wrote:
> Just thought I'd add that all CAPS thing for fun. :) Seriously, there
> is a large skylight in the master bathroom over the sink area and I need
> to have it resealed. It's been pouring down rain and it has started
> leaking. I have two buckets sitting under it right now to catch the drips.
>
> Meahile, I've called a professional who works in the building trades and
> has done a lot of work on houses in this area (he knew my parents and
> did a lot of work for them and also for me in the ensuing years. He's
> very busy so I left a message and also an urgent call-back number.
>
> I'm hoping he can recommend someone who will do the work at a reasonable
> price. No way am I going to pay someone an exhorbitant amount to reseal
> it. That's all it needs.

Skylights are notorious for leaking eventually. I've fixed many of them.
Shouldn't cost you more than about $150. Either a painter or a roofer
can do that.

Very little work to do it. Clean all around then recaulk with a good
caulking. Most of that price will be just for coming to do a small job
and setting up a ladder to get up there.

If you did it yourself (and already had a ladder), it would only cost
you the price of a good tube or two of caulking...maybe $10 max.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:12:52 AM8/4/21
Michael Trew wrote:
> A house that I lived in growing up had leaking skylights for years. They
> do tend to be quite problematic. If yours can be easily sealed,
> consider yourself lucky. My step-dad still lives in this house, and
> they still leak from time to time decades later. They've been "sealed"
> professionally more than once.

There is NO caulking that will last all that long. Don't be fooled by
their claims. Any caulking outside needs to be redone every few years.

I always used the best available. Example: 40 year caulking. Guaranteed
to last 40 years. LOL. It was the best but the 40 year claim was just
advertising to sell it. They knew full well it wouldn't last that long.

Read the fine print. If it fails within 40 years, return the empty
tubes with original receipt and get free new tubes. Nobody saves empty
caulking tubes with receipt for years and they know that.

Even if you save those, all they do is give you new tubes. A couple of
dollars value each. It's the cost of labor to redo the caulking that
will cost you a small fortune.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 1:15:56 PM8/4/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 20:51:30 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Just thought I'd add that all CAPS thing for fun. :) Seriously, there
>is a large skylight in the master bathroom over the sink area and I need
>to have it resealed. It's been pouring down rain and it has started
>leaking. I have two buckets sitting under it right now to catch the drips.
>
>Meahile, I've called a professional who works in the building trades and
>has done a lot of work on houses in this area (he knew my parents and
>did a lot of work for them and also for me in the ensuing years. He's
>very busy so I left a message and also an urgent call-back number.
>
>I'm hoping he can recommend someone who will do the work at a reasonable
>price. No way am I going to pay someone an exhorbitant amount to reseal
>it. That's all it needs.
>Jill

All you need is a caulking gun and a tube of silicon caulk... in color
or clear. You can probably pay some local teenager to climb up on
your roof and reseal the skylight... $50 should cover it.
A professional will charge $100 just to come look, and then make a
$250 project out of it for a half hour of their time.
We have several teenagers to call for those sort of jobs. Several
work at the golf course but live near us, and they are very good at
land clearing and operating heavy machinary.
Yesterday a 15 year old string trimmed both sides of our creek for $15
an hour, took him three hours but we paid him for four... ensures
he'll return for the next time... weeds don't stop growing. We
planted daffodil bulbs on both sides but after the flowers drop off
and the greenery browns it looks nicer trimmed. I don't like to walk
on the steep insides of that creek anymore, I don't trust my balance
on those rocks anymore and some are loose. We have several jobs here
that we have the youngsters do, I'm getting too old to risk another
fall. I'll prune small branches that I can reach from the ground with
a pole saw but I no longer climb.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 2:32:35 PM8/4/21
No one is concerned with caulking lasting forty years... if a
homeowner gets ten years from a caulking job they need to kiss
someones ass.

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 5:47:18 PM8/4/21
On 8/4/2021 8:09 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Just thought I'd add that all CAPS thing for fun. :)  Seriously, there
>> is a large skylight in the master bathroom over the sink area and I need
>> to have it resealed.  It's been pouring down rain and it has started
>> leaking.  I have two buckets sitting under it right now to catch the
>> drips.
>>
>> Meahile, I've called a professional who works in the building trades and
>> has done a lot of work on houses in this area (he knew my parents and
>> did a lot of work for them and also for me in the ensuing years.  He's
>> very busy so I left a message and also an urgent call-back number.
>>
>> I'm hoping he can recommend someone who will do the work at a reasonable
>> price.  No way am I going to pay someone an exhorbitant amount to reseal
>> it.  That's all it needs.
>
> Skylights are notorious for leaking eventually. I've fixed many of them.
> Shouldn't cost you more than about $150. Either a painter or a roofer
> can do that.

Yes, guy I called first is a house painter; he knows a ton of people. I
also got phone number from the contractor who did the major house
renovation for the guy I work for. I also got a name and number from
the guy in the office across the hall who runs a home inspection
company. (For things like this I always get multiple estimates!)

> Very little work to do it. Clean all around then recaulk with a good
> caulking. Most of that price will be just for coming to do a small job
> and setting up a ladder to get up there.
>
> If you did it yourself (and already had a ladder), it would only cost
> you the price of a good tube or two of caulking...maybe $10 max.

Thanks, Gary. I have a ladder but it's only 6 feet tall and the
skylight is a lot higher than that. Oh, and I do't do ladders (add this
to your "list", heh) due to vertigo. That aside, the skylight isn't
straight above your head. It's set off at an angle so the sun doesn't
shine directly down into the room:

https://i.postimg.cc/0NWXkd4m/skylight.jpg

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 5:58:04 PM8/4/21
On 8/4/2021 1:15 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 20:51:30 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd add that all CAPS thing for fun. :) Seriously, there
>> is a large skylight in the master bathroom over the sink area and I need
>> to have it resealed. It's been pouring down rain and it has started
>> leaking. I have two buckets sitting under it right now to catch the drips.
>>
>> Meahile, I've called a professional who works in the building trades and
>> has done a lot of work on houses in this area (he knew my parents and
>> did a lot of work for them and also for me in the ensuing years). He's
>> very busy so I left a message and also an urgent call-back number.
>>
>> I'm hoping he can recommend someone who will do the work at a reasonable
>> price. No way am I going to pay someone an exhorbitant amount to reseal
>> it. That's all it needs.
>> Jill
>
> All you need is a caulking gun and a tube of silicon caulk... in color
> or clear. You can probably pay some local teenager to climb up on
> your roof and reseal the skylight... $50 should cover it.
> A professional will charge $100 just to come look, and then make a
> $250 project out of it for a half hour of their time.
> We have several teenagers to call for those sort of jobs. Several
> work at the golf course but live near us, and they are very good at
> land clearing and operating heavy machinary.
(snippage)

It's nice you can call local teenagers to do things for you. The golf
course here doesn't hire teenagers. Entirely too much liability for the
kind of equipment they use to maintain it.

I sure as heck wouldn't ask a teenager to climb up on the roof to reseal
the skylight. What does a kid know about sealing skylights? (Trimming
weeds or mowing the lawn is an entirely different thing.) A
professional will at least give me written estimates and a short term
warranty. Besides, if the kid falls and breaks his or her neck that's
on me. Nope, that's just asking for trouble.

Jill

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 6:02:47 PM8/4/21
On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:57:56 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I sure as heck wouldn't ask a teenager to climb up on the roof to reseal
>the skylight. What does a kid know about sealing skylights? (Trimming
>weeds or mowing the lawn is an entirely different thing.) A
>professional will at least give me written estimates and a short term
>warranty. Besides, if the kid falls and breaks his or her neck that's
>on me. Nope, that's just asking for trouble.

It would be a huge coincidence if they fell on you.

Alex

Aug 4, 2021, 7:34:47 PM8/4/21
That's why you rarely see numbers like that on caulk anymore.
Polyurethane will outlast silicone for sure.

froma...@gmail.com

Aug 4, 2021, 10:11:53 PM8/4/21
You should go ahead and hire a teenage boy, Jill, he might
not be good just for "caulking", but also for *cocking*!!!

;-) ;-)

JW Kuthe, RN, BSN, RCN (Registered Cannabis Nurse - PENDING!)

Sqwertz

Aug 5, 2021, 6:57:03 AM8/5/21
Looking from the outside, it appears to be a flush-mount or slightly
recessed skylight. That will probably require more than caulking.

Wait a sec... WTF is up with the mailboxes on your street?!?!?!?
Are they optional and only on one side? And WTH numbered these
houses? What I think I remember of your house it's the one with 4
skylights on the far north edge of the house. But they're all too
small. But the inside picture sure looks like the raised skylight
447.

Anyway, most people could not seal a skylight properly for only $10
on the first try. Not even me. And depending on many "me's" had
been up there with caulk prior to me, you've got a maze of caulking
that you'll never fix without digging it all out and reflashing.

And that popcorn skylight vent inside - AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I tried
removing it just from a small bathroom - Ugh! I did it, but I need
to spackle and paint now..... 12 years ago

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:11:00 AM8/5/21
Just know Jill, a skylight leak can't be fixed on the inside. Have to
get up on the roof to do it from the outside.

And no, not really a do-it-yourself job for most people. If not
experienced with extension ladders and climbing on roofs, call a
professional and just pay the price.

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:13:29 AM8/5/21
The clear silicone won't ever crack in the middle but it will separate
from the edges so it still requires regular maintenance. Can't be
painted over either. Nothing paint wise will stick to it, even primers.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 5, 2021, 11:10:56 AM8/5/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 8:11:00 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Just know Jill, a skylight leak can't be fixed on the inside. Have to
> get up on the roof to do it from the outside.

I don't believe I read any comment from Jill that said she thinks or hopes
it can be repaired from inside the house.

> And no, not really a do-it-yourself job for most people. If not
> experienced with extension ladders and climbing on roofs, call a
> professional and just pay the price.

But I did read she has 3 or 4 contacts to get bids on this job and they're
coming to check out the problem. I'm sure she's grateful for your
suggestion of hiring a professional though.

<@@>

Sheldon Martin

Aug 5, 2021, 2:29:03 PM8/5/21
Jill lives on a golf course, teens are who they hire for trimming
trees and such, most will be glad for a side job like sealing a
skylight after their shift. I hire teens from the local golf course
here all the time. I'm not about to climb a 24' extention ladder for
a caulking job on my roof when I can pay like $50 to have the job done
by a youngster who is very used to climbing. Last year the flashing
around our brick chimney was leaking during a windy rain storm. I
didn't think I was capable of safely climbing up there at my age so I
asked at the golf course and I immediatly got a 16 year old to do the
job. I bought two tubes of quality silicone caulking and I had a
caulking gun. William only wanted $25 but I gave him $40. We were
both happy and he said If I had more jobs to call him. This year he
string trimmed the weeds on both sides of our creek... that was always
a bear of a job for me and now my balance is not as good as it used to
be. No way I can out work a 16 year old, especially one who's not
ascared of hard work.
Jill needs to ask the maintenence crew at the golf course. They won't
need a ladder, a couple of young guys will ride up with a tractor and
one will work the controls and the other will seal the skylight from
the bucket. Probably a 15 minute job plus prep time for the tractor
and Jill can pay what she thinks it's worth to her... two 16 year olds
will be happy with $50. And she'll have young virile guys to call for
her other needs.

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 4:54:46 PM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 2:28 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Jill lives on a golf course, teens are who they hire for trimming
> trees and such, most will be glad for a side job like sealing a
> skylight after their shift.
(snipped)

I already answered this in another reply, Sheldon. Dataw does not hire
teenagers to work on the golf course. They have a full time staff that
maintains the two golf courses. They have separate full time staff to
maintain the landscaping of all other common areas.

For tree trimming and removal they get bids from outside contractors who
are licensed and bonded. In fact they just sent word they're doing some
tree removal on the course that runs behind my house next week. They
offered to put people in touch with that outfit if anyone has large
trees they'd like trimmed or removed (at the homeowners' expense, of
course) since they'll already be working on the island.

There is too much liability for them to hire teenagers to operate that
sort of heavy equipment. I wouldn't hire a teenager to climb up on the
roof. If the kid falls and breaks his or her neck I'd be the one who
winds up paying for it. No thanks. I also would not expect a teenager
to know how to properly seal a skylight.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 4:57:34 PM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 11:10 AM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 8:11:00 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>>
>> Just know Jill, a skylight leak can't be fixed on the inside. Have to
>> get up on the roof to do it from the outside.
>>
> I don't believe I read any comment from Jill that said she thinks or hopes
> it can be repaired from inside the house.

Nope, I didn't indicate that, sorry if posting a pic was misleading. I
do not climb ladders, much less get up on the roof!

>> And no, not really a do-it-yourself job for most people. If not
>> experienced with extension ladders and climbing on roofs, call a
>> professional and just pay the price.
>>
> But I did read she has 3 or 4 contacts to get bids on this job and they're
> coming to check out the problem. I'm sure she's grateful for your
> suggestion of hiring a professional though.
>
> <@@>

Yes, I am in the process of making appointments to get estimates.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 5:09:12 PM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 6:56 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 17:47:09 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> It's set off at an angle so the sun doesn't
>> shine directly down into the room:
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/0NWXkd4m/skylight.jpg
>
> Looking from the outside, it appears to be a flush-mount or slightly
> recessed skylight. That will probably require more than caulking.

I'll find out the scope of work when I get the estimates.

> Wait a sec... WTF is up with the mailboxes on your street?!?!?!?
> Are they optional and only on one side? And WTH numbered these
> houses? What I think I remember of your house it's the one with 4
> skylights on the far north edge of the house. But they're all too
> small. But the inside picture sure looks like the raised skylight
> 447.

447 is the house across the street. What's wrong with the house
numbers? Perhaps you aren't counting the vacant undeveloped lots. Yes,
the mailboxes are all on one side of the street. Mine is across the
street from my house next to the one for 447.

You're right, there are four skylights in my house. The one in the back
corner of the garage and the one in the laundry room are smaller. The
one in the the master bathroom where the tub and toilet are and the one
over the bathroom vanity are slightly larger. They're all on the same
side of the house.

> Anyway, most people could not seal a skylight properly for only $10
> on the first try. Not even me. And depending on many "me's" had
> been up there with caulk prior to me, you've got a maze of caulking
> that you'll never fix without digging it all out and reflashing.
>
> And that popcorn skylight vent inside - AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I tried
> removing it just from a small bathroom - Ugh! I did it, but I need
> to spackle and paint now..... 12 years ago

Yeah... popcorn ceilings. I don't care since I don't spend time staring
at the ceiling. :)

Jill

Mike Duffy

Aug 5, 2021, 5:41:07 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 14:28:54 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Jill needs to ask the maintenance crew at the golf course.

Jill needs to ask for someone who works for a company that is insured
against being sued if the skylight experiences a catastrophic failure or
if someone is injured. I seriously doubt the golf course manager would do
anything of the sort if he has any inkling about employer liability &
responsibility.

> And she'll have young virile guys to call for her other needs.

You lasted 298 words without saying anything degrading. You're getting
better.

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 5:52:32 PM8/5/21
Popeye is like the elderly pedophile man on family guy who wants
sex with Cris Griffin. Popeye will fuck anything that moves.

Popeye would take all risks to have sex. Giggity giggity goo.

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 6:00:58 PM8/5/21
The Squirt man should be able to tell you everything.

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 6:23:34 PM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 5:41 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 14:28:54 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> Jill needs to ask the maintenance crew at the golf course.
>
> Jill needs to ask for someone who works for a company that is insured
> against being sued if the skylight experiences a catastrophic failure or
> if someone is injured.

Yes, I'm already doing that. Licensed, bonded companies. They'll also
likely offer some sort of limited warranty on the work.

> I seriously doubt the golf course manager would do
> anything of the sort if he has any inkling about employer liability &
> responsibility.

I've replied to him twice in this thread pointing out they do *not* hire
teenagers. They have a full time staff to maintain the two golf
courses. It's not some piddly summer vacation job. And yes, it's a
matter of employer liability.

No one in their right mind would hire a 16 year old to drive one of
those pieces of equipment with an extended bucket arm that can reach 200
feet in the air, which is what trimming the live oak trees and pine
trees around the golf courses requires. They bid for and hire
professional tree trimming companies. They don't even expect their own
employees to do that kind of work, much less a couple of 16 year old
kids. Holy cow!

>> And she'll have young virile guys to call for her other needs.
>
> You lasted 298 words without saying anything degrading. You're getting
> better.

I purposely ignored that remark. Maybe Sheldon needs young virile guys
to tend to some needs around *his* house... ;)

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 6:27:44 PM8/5/21
He sure as hell ate enough Pineapples in his navy days.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 6:32:04 PM8/5/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 5:23:34 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> Holy cow!

When did you go Hindu? Do you have one of those dots on
your forehead?

> Jill

--Bryan

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 6:33:47 PM8/5/21
jmcquown wrote:

> I purposely ignored that remark.  Maybe Sheldon needs young virile
> guys to tend to some needs around *his* house... ;)
>
> Jill

From what I can tell, the old woman gets pretty horny. She might
enjoy a young buck's service. Back in old mexico, she had donkeys,
but here, nothing but old Popeye.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 6:58:06 PM8/5/21
But ain't nobody hornier than a trusty shellback.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_i7nZT_Qs

--Bryan

Alex

Aug 5, 2021, 7:14:12 PM8/5/21
I've seen some hybrids advertised but I don't recall the brands. OSI
Quad Max is popular here in FL for windows and doors.  Any experience
with that one?

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 8:29:05 PM8/5/21
On 8/5/2021 9:10 AM, Gary wrote:

>> Just know Jill, a skylight leak can't be fixed on the inside. Have to
> get up on the roof to do it from the outside.

I do know that. That's why I said I don't climb up on ladders or on roofs.

> And no, not really a do-it-yourself job for most people.  If not
> experienced with extension ladders and climbing on roofs, call a
> professional and just pay the price.

I never intended to attempt the repair myself. I kind of wondered why
you and other people started talking about that. The pic was just for
fun. I'm getting estimates from several professionals.

Jill

Mike Duffy

Aug 5, 2021, 9:27:00 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 18:23:25 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> I purposely ignored that remark. Maybe Sheldon needs young virile guys
> to tend to some needs around *his* house... ;)

OSHA rules would probably start with cleaning up the garbage pile outside
his kitchen window.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 6, 2021, 4:27:35 AM8/6/21
All the mailboxes on my street are on one side. The same was the
case for the first two houses I owned.

The mail truck drives down the road once, accessing everybody's
mailbox. People on the other side of the street must cross the
road to retrieve their mail.

My mailbox and that of my neighbor across the street are side by side.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 9:53:58 AM8/6/21
Don't forget...dedicated Catholics wear a black dot on their forehead
after going to church on "Ash Wednesday."

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 9:54:15 AM8/6/21
Not that brand but some white caulking contains silicone as an
ingredient. Those are paintable.

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 10:01:49 AM8/6/21
jmcquown wrote:
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> I don't believe I read any comment from Jill that said she thinks or
>> hopes
>> it can be repaired from inside the house.
>>>
> Nope, I didn't indicate that, sorry if posting a pic was misleading. I
> do not climb ladders, much less get up on the roof!

Your inside pic was a bit misleading plus you said you only have a 6"
ladder. A 6" ladder won't get you on the roof outside, nor will it reach
way up into your skylight.

I've always hated painting those kind of skylight wells. You need a
short extension ladder plus someone footing the ladder for you and it's
really tight trying to move around up in there. Usually found in master
bathrooms. Is that where yours is?

Dave Smith

Aug 6, 2021, 10:08:37 AM8/6/21
So do Anglicans

Sheldon Martin

Aug 6, 2021, 11:08:20 AM8/6/21
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 10:01:18 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>> I don't believe I read any comment from Jill that said she thinks or
>>> hopes
>>> it can be repaired from inside the house.
>>>>
>> Nope, I didn't indicate that, sorry if posting a pic was misleading. I
>> do not climb ladders, much less get up on the roof!
>
>Your inside pic was a bit misleading plus you said you only have a 6"
>ladder. A 6" ladder won't get you on the roof outside, nor will it reach
>way up into your skylight.

A 6" ladder is hamster sized.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 6, 2021, 11:15:03 AM8/6/21
It's fine if you're going to hang pictures or change light bulbs in a ceiling
fixture mounted on an 8-foot ceiling.

Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Aug 6, 2021, 11:22:46 AM8/6/21
The priest puts a little bit of ashes in the shape of a small cross on the forehead.

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 11:23:04 AM8/6/21
On 8/6/2021 10:01 AM, Gary wrote:
>   jmcquown wrote:
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>> I don't believe I read any comment from Jill that said she thinks or
>>> hopes
>>> it can be repaired from inside the house.
>>>>
>> Nope, I didn't indicate that, sorry if posting a pic was misleading.  I
>> do not climb ladders, much less get up on the roof!
>
> Your inside pic was a bit misleading plus you said you only have a 6"
> ladder. A 6" ladder won't get you on the roof outside, nor will it reach
> way up into your skylight.

I know that, so even if I were inclined to climb up on the roof (I'm
not) I don't have an extension ladder.

> I've always hated painting those kind of skylight wells. You need a
> short extension ladder plus someone footing the ladder for you and it's
> really tight trying to move around up in there. Usually found in master
> bathrooms. Is that where yours is?

Uh, yeah, that's where I said it is. Above the vanity/sinks in the
master batrhoom.

Jill

Ophelia

Aug 6, 2021, 11:23:41 AM8/6/21
===

Hardly black dots. It is usually just a small smear:)

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 11:41:41 AM8/6/21
My 4' ladder covered all my needs in an 8' ceiling room. Sometimes use a
5'. The 6 foot ladder use often overkill in those rooms and annoying to use.

I had many ladders that covered all conditions:
- 4' step ladder
- 5' step ladder
- 6' step ladder
- 8' step ladder (rarely used)
- 20' extension ladder
- 24' extension ladder
- 32' extension ladder

That was my limit. Any higher than a 32' covered, they can get someone
else to do the work.

Ophelia

Aug 6, 2021, 1:46:22 PM8/6/21
====

Not in my day:) It is hard to do that on someone's forehead with
your finger:))))

It always turned out like a smudge:)

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 1:54:28 PM8/6/21
He makes the sign of the cross, though, while putting the ash on the
forehead.

Jill

bruce bowser

Aug 6, 2021, 2:26:42 PM8/6/21
On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 11:23:41 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> On 06/08/2021 14:53, Gary wrote:
> > On 8/5/2021 6:32 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> When did you go Hindu? Do you have one of those dots on
> >> your forehead?
> >
> > Don't forget...dedicated Catholics wear a black dot on their forehead
> > after going to church on "Ash Wednesday."
>
> Hardly black dots. It is usually just a small smear:)

I know because I wanted to talk to a girl with ash on her forehead and in the middle of the ash was a cross smear.

dsi1

Aug 6, 2021, 2:56:56 PM8/6/21
That sounds like something one would see in a Hammer Horror film - well, to a heathen like myself, anyway. 👹

Bruce 3.1

Aug 6, 2021, 3:09:54 PM8/6/21
Yes, I remember one girl in my class in the 60s. We weren't sure if
she was special or just weird.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 6, 2021, 3:16:54 PM8/6/21
On Friday, August 6, 2021 at 11:41:41 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 8/6/2021 11:15 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> A 6" ladder is hamster sized.
> >
> > It's fine if you're going to hang pictures or change light bulbs in a ceiling
> > fixture mounted on an 8-foot ceiling.
> My 4' ladder covered all my needs in an 8' ceiling room. Sometimes use a
> 5'. The 6 foot ladder use often overkill in those rooms and annoying to use.

Some of us like a little something to lean on. Those of us who
ascend a ladder once or twice a year.

For everyday stuff, we have one of these:

<https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/little-giant-safety-aluminum-step-ladder-3-step>

Good for getting the sake set off the top cupboard shelf. It also works well
for changing those light bulbs. Anything that requires precision or strength
needs something a little taller.

Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Aug 6, 2021, 3:28:54 PM8/6/21
YOU? Near anything alcoholic? Impossible.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 6, 2021, 3:31:04 PM8/6/21
On Fri, 06 Aug 2021 11:08:14 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
And a 6 ft ladder is shorter than me.

Ophelia

Aug 6, 2021, 3:31:47 PM8/6/21
==

Yes he does:)

Bruce 3.1

Aug 6, 2021, 3:32:46 PM8/6/21
How will you reach an 8 foot ceiling standing on a 6 inch ladder?

Ophelia

Aug 6, 2021, 3:34:37 PM8/6/21
=====

Yes, as I just said to Jill. It was meant to be a cross, but always
ended up as a smear!

Ophelia

Aug 6, 2021, 3:38:27 PM8/6/21
===

<g>

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 6, 2021, 3:39:38 PM8/6/21
Good one. The font on my computer is so small I couldn't tell that was
a double quote.

In any event, I suspect Sheldon was thinking 6 feet and just typed the
wrong symbol.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 3:51:21 PM8/6/21
Ashes do tend to smear. I agreed with you and said the priest makes the
sign of the cross when using his finger putting the ashes on ones'
forehead. I'm not Catholic but am familiar with the practice.

To think, all this started because I wrote "Holy Cow!" in response to
Sheldon suggesting the golf course hires teenagers whom I might be able
to hire to seal the skylight. And Bryan, being Bryan, had to veer it
off in a totally different and irrelevant religious direction.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 6, 2021, 4:13:51 PM8/6/21
You did that deliberately.
Popeye is probably still dreaming of cow titties.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 6, 2021, 5:36:35 PM8/6/21
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:15:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

6" is six inches.

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 6:41:46 PM8/6/21
We know that. I wrote "6 feet tall", not 6".

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 6, 2021, 7:09:10 PM8/6/21
Popeye, yoose will never stretch it to 6 inches. Yoose barely got
by the navy's requirement for a 4 inch dick.

Hank Rogers

Aug 6, 2021, 7:16:25 PM8/6/21
Yes, and yoose can't stretch it that far Popeye.

Hank Rogers

Aug 6, 2021, 8:18:10 PM8/6/21
Popeye got out his ruler to measure his pecker again. If it was
6", he must have stretched it.

Michael Trew

Aug 6, 2021, 10:27:08 PM8/6/21
A 6 footer is nice if you are painting, you can keep the paint bucket
resting up top. Yes, a 4 ft step stool will do it, but you have to hold
the bucket the whole time.

I have a 40' aluminum extension ladder. When I bought a ladder rack for
my truck years ago, the guy told me he'd sell the ladder for $40, and I
figured I couldn't go wrong. It's horrible to use by yourself,
downright dangerous to put up. I've done it, but I'll be looking for a
28' (give or take) extension ladder here at some point.

Michael Trew

Aug 6, 2021, 10:29:48 PM8/6/21
No, Sheldon was teasing Gary about his typo -- Gary said a 6" ladder...
I missed that the first time, and thought Sheldon was saying that a 6
foot ladder is too small for a household. A 6 inch ladder... LOL

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 6, 2021, 11:04:18 PM8/6/21
Depends on your ceiling height. Mine are 9 1/2' but the living room is
a coffered ceiling about 10 1/2'.
When the time comes I'll probably pay to have it done. I'll tempt Gary
to to come down by offering him a nice dinner with a good bottle of wine.

Alex

Aug 6, 2021, 11:09:45 PM8/6/21
I bought my first podium ladder (a 4') and love it.

dsi1

Aug 6, 2021, 11:30:35 PM8/6/21
It's been a problem since people started using this notation. Why anybody would want to use such a silly system is hidden in the stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyh1Va_mYWI

Bruce 3.1

Aug 6, 2021, 11:44:19 PM8/6/21
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 20:30:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
Oh well, since you already use yards, flozzes, weirdo ounces and
half-baked lbs, why not?

Ophelia

Aug 7, 2021, 9:12:09 AM8/7/21
Sheldon wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:10:31 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> >> Yes, guy I called first is a house painter; he knows a ton of people. I
> >> also got phone number from the contractor who did the major house
> >> renovation for the guy I work for. I also got a name and number from
> >> the guy in the office across the hall who runs a home inspection
> >> company. (For things like this I always get multiple estimates!)

> >> Thanks, Gary. I have a ladder but it's only 6 feet tall and the
> >> skylight is a lot higher than that. Oh, and I do't do ladders (add this
> >> to your "list", heh) due to vertigo. That aside, the skylight isn't
> >> straight above your head. It's set off at an angle so the sun doesn't
> >> shine directly down into the room:
> >>
> >> https://i.postimg.cc/0NWXkd4m/skylight.jpg
> >>
> >> Jill
> >
> >Just know Jill, a skylight leak can't be fixed on the inside. Have to
> >get up on the roof to do it from the outside.
> >
> >And no, not really a do-it-yourself job for most people. If not
> >experienced with extension ladders and climbing on roofs, call a
> >professional and just pay the price.
> Jill lives on a golf course, teens are who they hire for trimming
> trees and such, most will be glad for a side job like sealing a
> skylight after their shift. I hire teens from the local golf course
> here all the time. I'm not about to climb a 24' extention ladder for
> a caulking job on my roof when I can pay like $50 to have the job done
> by a youngster who is very used to climbing. Last year the flashing
> around our brick chimney was leaking during a windy rain storm. I
> didn't think I was capable of safely climbing up there at my age so I
> asked at the golf course and I immediatly got a 16 year old to do the
> job. I bought two tubes of quality silicone caulking and I had a
> caulking gun. William only wanted $25 but I gave him $40. We were
> both happy and he said If I had more jobs to call him. This year he
> string trimmed the weeds on both sides of our creek... that was always
> a bear of a job for me and now my balance is not as good as it used to
> be. No way I can out work a 16 year old, especially one who's not
> ascared of hard work.
> Jill needs to ask the maintenence crew at the golf course. They won't
> need a ladder, a couple of young guys will ride up with a tractor and
> one will work the controls and the other will seal the skylight from
> the bucket. Probably a 15 minute job plus prep time for the tractor
> and Jill can pay what she thinks it's worth to her... two 16 year olds
> will be happy with $50. And she'll have young virile guys to call for
> her other needs.

For 64, Jill is still quite fetching! A young laddie might just taka a
fancy to her!

<vbg>

Sheldon Martin

Aug 7, 2021, 10:25:57 AM8/7/21
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 12:39:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
You have nothing to think with.
I'm not who typed for a six " INCH ladder.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 7, 2021, 11:29:34 AM8/7/21
On Fri, 06 Aug 2021 22:29:48 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
A 6' folding ladder works well with 8' ceilings.
Cindy was dreaming of a 6" penis.

We have several ladders, for indoor work with our 8' ceilings a 6'
wooden folding ladder works well. For cleaning rain gutters outdoors
we have a 12' aluminum folding ladder, very stable on bare ground, and
easy top move on grass, simly grab at the top and drag.
We have a 24 foot aluminum extention ladder in our barn (two 12 ft
lenghts)... I bought it at Sears some fifty years ago when I painted
the cedar shake shingles on my first house, a very sturdy ladder with
wide comfortable treads, rated at 350 pounds, I don't believe it's
made anymore. I have a 5 foot aluminum combo folding/extention ladder
that I keep in my office behind the door, very handy for reaching into
the top shelves in the kitchen which is the next room. We have a 6
foot wooden folding ladder that we keep in the basement. Personally I
prefer wooden folding ladders, they are more stable than aluminum for
painting ceilings. Fiber glass ladders are very good for
professionals (elecricians) but expensive, not worth the price for
occasional use. The past two years we stopped cleaning the rain
gutters ourselves, we hired a young guy. The 12 foot aluminum folding
ladder is now retired, hangs from hooks in our garage. The young guy
uses his own ladder to get on the roof and then he walks along the
edge to clean the gutters, I won't attempt that.

There are several companies who manufacture ladders, be sure to buy
and use a high quality ladder. Don't skimp on the price of a ladder.
A good place to buy ladders:
https://www.nationalladder.com/

bruce bowser

Aug 7, 2021, 12:15:20 PM8/7/21
You all use yards too, you just call them meters.

Graham

Aug 7, 2021, 12:54:09 PM8/7/21
No we don't. And anyway, they're metres and they are almost 10% larger
than yards.

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 12:57:59 PM8/7/21
Popeye, yoose always has diks on yoose feeble little mind.

bruce bowser

Aug 7, 2021, 1:21:41 PM8/7/21
No one says metres. They say meters.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 7, 2021, 1:51:12 PM8/7/21
Sure. No argument, now that it's been pointed out to me.

I have better things to do than notice everybody's typos on Usenet. If I
started, there'd be no end to it.

Shall I start proofreading your posts, Sheldon?

Cindy Hamilton

Ophelia

Aug 7, 2021, 1:53:28 PM8/7/21
I did NOT write that!!

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 2:13:05 PM8/7/21
You'll damn sure be busy! Popeye is the living essence of ignorance.

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 2:14:34 PM8/7/21
If you put that in a sig file, it will save you a lot of typing.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 7, 2021, 4:03:56 PM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 1:14:34 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I did NOT write that!!
> >

> If you put that in a sig file, it will save you a lot of typing.

Hank, did you hear that giant WOOSH that just flew over OhFeelMe's
head?? But I bet it was a nice frefreshing breeze.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 7, 2021, 4:08:33 PM8/7/21
In your dialect.

Ophelia

Aug 7, 2021, 4:09:13 PM8/7/21
===

LOL the only whoosh coming here is from your disgusting gob!

Bruce 3.1

Aug 7, 2021, 4:12:40 PM8/7/21
On Sat, 7 Aug 2021 10:51:08 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
Better quit your job first.

Mike Duffy

Aug 7, 2021, 4:22:21 PM8/7/21
On Sat, 07 Aug 2021 10:51:08 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I have better things to do than notice everybody's typos on Usenet.

Surely a computer whiz could easily script one up.

I would, except I would have to pay for additional band-withs.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 7, 2021, 4:34:26 PM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 3:09:13 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:

> LOL the only whoosh coming here is from your disgusting gob!

Forge on!

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 6:16:12 PM8/7/21
I did hear it but I thought it was a soggy depends flying overhead.

I ducked.

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 6:22:49 PM8/7/21
No worry, Popeye takes care of that. He is the most knowledgeable
and literate person here. And he is a pedant ... a stickler for a
accuracy.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 7, 2021, 11:30:57 PM8/7/21
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 5:16:12 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > Hank, did you hear that giant WOOSH that just flew over OhFeelMe's
> > head?? But I bet it was a nice frefreshing breeze.
> >
> I did hear it but I thought it was a soggy depends flying overhead.
>
> I ducked.

Thank goodness!!

Gary

Aug 8, 2021, 6:52:50 AM8/8/21
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> A 6 footer is nice if you are painting, you can keep the paint bucket
>> resting up top. Yes, a 4 ft step stool will do it, but you have to
>> hold the bucket the whole time.

Michael, don't ever put a paint bucket on a stepladder top or the tray.
So easy to knock it off with a BIG mess. Use a pot hook and hook it on
the side of any ladder you get on.

> Depends on your ceiling height. Mine are 9 1/2' but the living room is
> a coffered ceiling about 10 1/2'.
> When the time comes I'll probably pay to have it done. I'll tempt Gary
> to to come down by offering him a nice dinner with a good bottle of wine.

I'll offer you a 'half price deal', Ed.
Just serve me a good dinner with no wine
or serve me some good wine with no food.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 8, 2021, 7:07:30 AM8/8/21
On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 6:52:50 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > Michael Trew wrote:
> >> A 6 footer is nice if you are painting, you can keep the paint bucket
> >> resting up top. Yes, a 4 ft step stool will do it, but you have to
> >> hold the bucket the whole time.
> Michael, don't ever put a paint bucket on a stepladder top or the tray.
> So easy to knock it off with a BIG mess. Use a pot hook and hook it on
> the side of any ladder you get on.

About 10 years ago, we got something like this:

<https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-4-ft-x-4-ft-x-2-ft-Mini-Rolling-Scaffold-500-lb-Load-Capacity-with-Tool-Shelf-I-IMCNAT/205477926>

It didn't come with a shelf, but my husband made one for it. I've never knocked
anything messy off of it.

I like it a lot. I feel much safer on it, and it reduces the number of
ups/downs I need to make while working near the ceiling.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 8, 2021, 7:11:33 AM8/8/21
On 8/6/2021 5:36 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 08:15:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> A 6" ladder is hamster sized.
>>
>> It's fine if you're going to hang pictures or change light bulbs in a ceiling
>> fixture mounted on an 8-foot ceiling.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
> 6" is six inches.

I could reach an 8' ceiling if I used a 6" ladder. :)
I just checked, standing on tip-toes I was only 2-3 inches shy of
touching it.

I can change my kitchen lightbulb standing on tiptoes but much easier to
drag a chair in there to stand one.

I used to have to change it every month or so but not since I put in one
of those new led bulbs. The same one has been working for many years.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 8, 2021, 7:15:34 AM8/8/21
You're becoming old and dogmatic, Gary. Don't be a Sheldon.

Ophelia

Aug 8, 2021, 9:03:01 AM8/8/21
=====

Why would I need to when you are here:)))) Go on... share your
depends, you know you will be a star!!!

LOLOL

Sheldon Martin

Aug 8, 2021, 9:22:31 AM8/8/21
Looks too clumsy to climb up and down, and too wide for most household
spaces. A wooden six foot step ladder has a fold out shelf, perfect
for holding a paint tray with roller or brush. I prefer painting with
a brush... even a cheap brush lays on paint better than any roller...
rolled on paint really doesn't adhere well, tiny bubbles form and
eventually rise to the surface and begin to pop, marring the paint
job. Also a lot easier to wash a brush than a roller.
For any paint job a good drop cloth (not plastic) is manditory.
I don't like to paint from the gallon bucket, I'd rather pour some
paint into the roller tray, not too much... a roller tray clips on to
the fold out ladder shelf, safer and neater than the gallon bucket...
not so easy to move a ladder with a gallon bucket hanging from a hook.
Today there are plastic roller trays, cost pennies, toss rather than
wash.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 8, 2021, 9:39:19 AM8/8/21
Any bulb one has to climb to replace should be LED. As bulbs burned
out I replaced them with LEDs, especially outdoor lighting, cuts way
down on electric bills. There are LEDs that are made with a built in
sensor for on at dusk and off at dawn... I put them in the fixtures at
each side of my front door... the old fashioned brass fixtures look
nice but a PIA to open for bulb replacement. LEDs can easily last for
10+ years and emit a lot more light than incandescents... in the final
anyalisis they cost a lot less.

Michael Trew

Aug 8, 2021, 9:45:24 AM8/8/21
On 8/8/2021 7:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Sunday, August 8, 2021 at 6:52:50 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> Michael, don't ever put a paint bucket on a stepladder top or the tray.
>> So easy to knock it off with a BIG mess. Use a pot hook and hook it on
>> the side of any ladder you get on.

Can't say I've ever managed to do that, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a
fun mess. Especially with my free rickety 6 foot wooden ladder.

> About 10 years ago, we got something like this:
>
> <https://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-4-ft-x-4-ft-x-2-ft-Mini-Rolling-Scaffold-500-lb-Load-Capacity-with-Tool-Shelf-I-IMCNAT/205477926>
>
> It didn't come with a shelf, but my husband made one for it. I've never knocked
> anything messy off of it.
>
> I like it a lot. I feel much safer on it, and it reduces the number of
> ups/downs I need to make while working near the ceiling.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

That looks nice, but nearly blows my budget. I assume the wheels lock?

Michael Trew

Aug 8, 2021, 9:46:38 AM8/8/21
Damn Europeans

Sheldon Martin

Aug 8, 2021, 9:48:17 AM8/8/21
On Sun, 08 Aug 2021 21:15:29 +1000, Bruce 3.1 <Bra...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I've always done my own painting, I've never paid for anyone to paint.
When a ceiling is high it costs a lot less to spend a couple bucks on
an extention pole than pay for a taller ladder.
It is loading more messages.