Cherry Chipotle Relish

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 26, 2005, 4:16:11 PM8/26/05
to
Just put this on my website, too. I used two canned chipotles for the
second time around (I'd used a couple dried ones the first time around
several months ago.) I prefer the canned.

8/26/05 Cherry Chipotle Relish
------------------------------------------------------------------------
August 26, 2005

Cherry Chipotle Relish
Recipe by Barb Schaller, 2004 Minnesota State Fair Prestigious Processor
of the Pantry and Gedney State Fair Jam Lady
咕arbara Schaller 2005

1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce (there are several in a 6-ounce
can)
1 small onion (about 1/3 cup chopped onion (not too finely cut, but not
chunks, either)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)

In food processor workbowl, chop the chipotle pepper, the onion, and the
garlic. Maybe 5-10 pulses.

In a small sauce pan, combine the onion mixture with the cider vinegar,
bring to boil then stir in the State Fair Cherry Preserves. Let cool
before serving with your favorite grilled meat or cheese. If it's too
spicy for your taste, add more Cherry Preserves and vinegar until of
desired taste and consistency. It will thicken on cooling.

Note: This can be rather spicy -- one of those things that's spicy but
you can't stop eating it! You can adjust the heat with more preserves.

I hope you love it as much as I do.

Dobru' chut'!

Thanks for looking.

-Barb Schaller
Burnsville, Minnesota
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05

Mr Libido Incognito

unread,
Aug 26, 2005, 4:57:48 PM8/26/05
to
Melba's Jammin' wrote on 26 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Just put this on my website, too. I used two canned chipotles for
> the second time around (I'd used a couple dried ones the first time
> around several months ago.) I prefer the canned.
>
> 8/26/05 Cherry Chipotle Relish
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------

> --- August 26, 2005

>
> Cherry Chipotle Relish
> Recipe by Barb Schaller, 2004 Minnesota State Fair Prestigious
> Processor of the Pantry and Gedney State Fair Jam Lady

> ŠBarbara Schaller 2005

>
> 1 chipotle pepper canned in adobo sauce (there are several in a
> 6-ounce can)
> 1 small onion (about 1/3 cup chopped onion (not too finely cut, but
> not chunks, either)
> 1 clove garlic
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar
> 1 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)
>
> In food processor workbowl, chop the chipotle pepper, the onion, and
> the garlic. Maybe 5-10 pulses.
>
> In a small sauce pan, combine the onion mixture with the cider
> vinegar, bring to boil then stir in the State Fair Cherry Preserves.
> Let cool before serving with your favorite grilled meat or cheese.
> If it's too spicy for your taste, add more Cherry Preserves and
> vinegar until of desired taste and consistency. It will thicken on
> cooling.
>
> Note: This can be rather spicy -- one of those things that's spicy
> but you can't stop eating it! You can adjust the heat with more
> preserves.
>
> I hope you love it as much as I do.
>
> Dobru' chut'!
>
> Thanks for looking.
>
> -Barb Schaller
> Burnsville, Minnesota

This works idea works well with most any jam.
I adda little nutmeg.
--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
The ears keep the hat up.

TammyM

unread,
Aug 26, 2005, 7:40:57 PM8/26/05
to
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:16:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
<thisi...@macbogus.com> wrote:

>Just put this on my website, too. I used two canned chipotles for the
>second time around (I'd used a couple dried ones the first time around
>several months ago.) I prefer the canned.
>
>8/26/05 Cherry Chipotle Relish
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>August 26, 2005
>
>Cherry Chipotle Relish
>Recipe by Barb Schaller, 2004 Minnesota State Fair Prestigious Processor
>of the Pantry and Gedney State Fair Jam Lady

>ŠBarbara Schaller 2005

<recipe snippage>

For those of us not blessed enough to have access to the State Fair
Gedney's Goodies, could you propose a reasonable substitute for the
cherry preserves? Or should I just go for the gold and use up my
Peach Melba Jammies (for the brownies) and change the name of the
brownies? Or should I just sit in a corner and pout? (I do this very
well.)

Next time I see you, and there WILL be a next time (promise, not a
threat), I'm gonna git you to sign one of those jars! It's just not
good enough to have that angel face looking at me from the label, I
need an autograph :0)

TammyM, sucking up again

Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 26, 2005, 8:34:46 PM8/26/05
to
In article <430fa7bc...@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net
(TammyM) wrote:

Show me the money. I'm happy to pick some up and ship it as long as its
understood that it's not cheap to mail a 1# jar.
As far as a substitute, ye gods, Tammy, use up that Peach Rapberry jam!
It's got to be an awful color by now. BTW, I have certainly used the PR
jam in the brownies, though I've always swirled a few dollops through
the usual batter, rather than mixing it into the batter as I did with
these. Your call.
For the relish, try some goormet shop (TJ?) or the highbuck supermarket
-- I'm thinking there's cherry preserves out there. I will say that the
Gedney product is chock full of fruit bits -- not puree with a couple
bits here and there.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe

sf

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 12:40:02 AM8/27/05
to
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:16:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> 8/26/05 Cherry Chipotle Relish

thank you dahlin'

:)

sf

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 12:41:34 AM8/27/05
to
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:16:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> 1 cup Gedney State Fair Cherry Preserves (Barb Schaller's recipe)


Shoots! I just read this part - I don't have any on hand.

sf

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 12:45:02 AM8/27/05
to
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:57:48 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

>
> This works idea works well with most any jam.

Thanks, I've never thought about doing that. Wow, I bet Sandra Lee
will like that idea!

> I adda little nutmeg.

I'd substitute allspice because I hate nutmeg, even a little of it.

notbob

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 12:59:53 AM8/27/05
to
On 2005-08-26, Melba's Jammin' <thisi...@macbogus.com> wrote:

> I hope you love it as much as I do.

I had to eat two Tums just reading the recipe!

> Dobru' chut'!

Is that old world for Bubba the Hut?

nb ....feelin' drunk n' ornery ;)


Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 8:07:15 AM8/27/05
to
In article <8OSdnbBfVvL...@comcast.com>, notbob
<not...@nothome.com> wrote:


Close enough!
--

TammyM

unread,
Aug 27, 2005, 4:15:26 PM8/27/05
to
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:34:46 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
<thisi...@macbogus.com> wrote:

>In article <430fa7bc...@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net
>(TammyM) wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:16:11 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> <thisi...@macbogus.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Just put this on my website, too. I used two canned chipotles for the
>> >second time around (I'd used a couple dried ones the first time around
>> >several months ago.) I prefer the canned.
>> >
>> >8/26/05 Cherry Chipotle Relish
>> >------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >August 26, 2005
>> >
>> >Cherry Chipotle Relish
>> >Recipe by Barb Schaller, 2004 Minnesota State Fair Prestigious Processor
>> >of the Pantry and Gedney State Fair Jam Lady

>> >咕arbara Schaller 2005

>>
>> <recipe snippage>
>>
>> For those of us not blessed enough to have access to the State Fair
>> Gedney's Goodies, could you propose a reasonable substitute for the
>> cherry preserves? Or should I just go for the gold and use up my
>> Peach Melba Jammies (for the brownies) and change the name of the
>> brownies? Or should I just sit in a corner and pout? (I do this very
>> well.)
>>
>> Next time I see you, and there WILL be a next time (promise, not a
>> threat), I'm gonna git you to sign one of those jars! It's just not
>> good enough to have that angel face looking at me from the label, I
>> need an autograph :0)
>>
>> TammyM, sucking up again
>
>Show me the money. I'm happy to pick some up and ship it as long as its
>understood that it's not cheap to mail a 1# jar.

Appreciate the offer, dollface. But what kinda cheapass company is
Gedneys to not have a web site where us po' folk Californicators can
buy it off the web rawther than bother our Meen-a-SOTE-an frinds?

>As far as a substitute, ye gods, Tammy, use up that Peach Rapberry jam!
>It's got to be an awful color by now.

ALRIGHT, ALREADY, stop yellin' at me about the !*#$*!&#$!&* PR
jam!!!!! I was saving it for posterior. Posterity. Whatever. Is it
my sparklingly creative imagination or are you getting cranky in your
old .... um ... in your advancing ... golden ... ermmmm ... in your
AARP years? <ducking and running FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!> <speedy little
whippersnapper that I am :->)

> BTW, I have certainly used the PR
>jam in the brownies, though I've always swirled a few dollops through
>the usual batter, rather than mixing it into the batter as I did with
>these. Your call.

I'll give it a shot and feed it to the lads next door. If they
survive, I'll make some for my work folk. "-)

>For the relish, try some goormet shop (TJ?) or the highbuck supermarket
>-- I'm thinking there's cherry preserves out there. I will say that the
>Gedney product is chock full of fruit bits -- not puree with a couple
>bits here and there.

Now this is going to sound dorky, so remember that I'm not of the
preserving persuasion (tm), but what kinda cherries might one use to
make cherry preserves? Could one use frozen cherries? Or Bings which
are the most common kinda cherry in these parts that I've seen. Even
though I'm not of the PP, I might just give it a shot next year....
One nevuh knows....

>-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
>including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe

TammyM

Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 28, 2005, 9:02:24 AM8/28/05
to
In article <4310c801....@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net
(TammyM) wrote:
(snippage)

> >Show me the money. I'm happy to pick some up and ship it as long as its
> >understood that it's not cheap to mail a 1# jar.
>
> Appreciate the offer, dollface. But what kinda cheapass company is
> Gedneys to not have a web site where us po' folk Californicators can
> buy it off the web rawther than bother our Meen-a-SOTE-an frinds?

Ask them. they've got a website: gedneypickle.com


>
> >As far as a substitute, ye gods, Tammy, use up that Peach Rapberry jam!
> >It's got to be an awful color by now.
>
> ALRIGHT, ALREADY, stop yellin' at me about the !*#$*!&#$!&* PR
> jam!!!!! I was saving it for posterior. Posterity. Whatever. Is it
> my sparklingly creative imagination or are you getting cranky in your
> old .... um ... in your advancing ... golden ... ermmmm ... in your
> AARP years? <ducking and running FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!> <speedy little
> whippersnapper that I am :->)

Nope, it's not your imagination. I've always been temperamental and
moody (A true Cancer). Besides that, my sister died yesterday and I've
got a wicked schedule this week.

> Now this is going to sound dorky, so remember that I'm not of the
> preserving persuasion (tm), but what kinda cherries might one use to
> make cherry preserves? Could one use frozen cherries? Or Bings which
> are the most common kinda cherry in these parts that I've seen. Even
> though I'm not of the PP, I might just give it a shot next year....
> One nevuh knows....

I use sour cherries (frozen) from Door County, Wisconsin. It's their
specialty. The Blue Ribbon Cherry Amaretto Jam was made with those and
with a bag of Dole frozen Bings.

Try this.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Almond Jam

Recipe By : Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8/28/05.
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 bags frozen sweet cherries, 12 oz. each -- thawed
and drained
3/4 cup almond liqueur (Amaretto)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 package Ball Fruit Jell Pectin (powder)
4 1/2 cups sugar

Prepare jars and lids according to mfgrs. instructions.

Finely chop cherries.

Combine cherries, almond liqueur and lemon juice in a large saucepot.
Stir in pectin. Bring to a boil tirring frequently.

Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil
hard 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Carefully ladle hot jam into
hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

Wipe jar rim clean and seal appropriately, screwing ring until just
fingertip tight.

Process 10 minutes in a bwb.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : From Homecanning.com website 7/2/02.

_____


> TammyM
--

-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,

including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.

Nancy Young

unread,
Aug 28, 2005, 9:42:31 AM8/28/05
to

"Melba's Jammin'" <thisi...@macbogus.com> wrote

> Nope, it's not your imagination. I've always been temperamental and
> moody (A true Cancer).

Something wrong with that, hmmm??

> Besides that, my sister died yesterday and I've
> got a wicked schedule this week.

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister. Condolences.

nancy


Melba's Jammin'

unread,
Aug 28, 2005, 9:55:33 AM8/28/05
to
In article <4310c801....@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net
(TammyM) wrote:

>
> >For the relish, try some goormet shop (TJ?) or the highbuck supermarket
> >-- I'm thinking there's cherry preserves out there. I will say that the
> >Gedney product is chock full of fruit bits -- not puree with a couple
> >bits here and there.
>
> Now this is going to sound dorky, so remember that I'm not of the
> preserving persuasion (tm), but what kinda cherries might one use to
> make cherry preserves? Could one use frozen cherries? Or Bings which
> are the most common kinda cherry in these parts that I've seen. Even
> though I'm not of the PP, I might just give it a shot next year....
> One nevuh knows....
>
> >-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,

> >including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added 8/27/05.
>
> TammyM

Hey, Girlie, I had my threads mixed up. I posted the cherry jam recipe
thinking you wanted it for the brownies. This might give you a jumping
off place as far as proportions go.

Pay attention: Go ahead and laugh at me, but for a chipotle relish, in
the recipe below LEAVE OUT the raisins spices, nuts, and cornstarch
slurry; and ADD a chipotle in adobo sauce (maybe use two) and maybe
1/2-3/4 cup chopped onion and a minced clove of garlic. Chop the
chipotle/s first. You could chop the cherries or not. If, when you're
all done with it, it's too soupy, strain it and reduce the liquid then
mix it back with the relish. Just some thoughts that should come at
least close to working.


* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Honey Relish

Recipe By : posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 8/2/505
Serving Size : Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Relish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------

2 1/2 cups pitted tart cherries
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup pecans -- coarsely chopped
1 Tblsp cornstarch
1 Tblsp Cold Water

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Cook
slowly, uncovered for 30 minutes. Stir in pecans.

Combine the cold water and cornstarch and gradually stir into cherry
mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

Makes 2-1/2 cups, or 5 half-pints

Refrigerate, freeze or can.

If Canning:

Wash and sterilize 5 half-pint mason jars and lids. Pour hot cherry
mixture into hot jars. Quickly wipe the glass rims clean of any
spillage, and screw the lids on the jars. Carefully set into a large
canner of boiling water. Bring back to boil, and process the relish for
30 minutes. Start counting your time after the water has returned to a
boil. Carefully remove the jars, being careful not to twist the ring
caps at this point. Allow to completely cool. Remove the rings, test
your caps to be sure they have sealed. Store in cool place. Will keep
indefinitely.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Looks like I got this from rec.food.cooking, 4 Aug 1996 - don't
know who posted it then. I've another similar recipe without the
cornstarch. Gack.

_____
--

-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,

Margaret Suran

unread,
Aug 28, 2005, 9:55:34 AM8/28/05
to

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <4310c801....@news.ucdavis.edu>, m...@privacy.net
> (TammyM) wrote:
> (snippage)

y, use up that Peach Rapberry jam!
>>>It's got to be an awful color by now.
>>
>>ALRIGHT, ALREADY, stop yellin' at me about the !*#$*!&#$!&* PR
>>jam!!!!! I was saving it for posterior. Posterity. Whatever. Is it
>>my sparklingly creative imagination or are you getting cranky in your
>>old .... um ... in your advancing ... golden ... ermmmm ... in your
>>AARP years? <ducking and running FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!> <speedy little
>>whippersnapper that I am :->)
>
>
> Nope, it's not your imagination. I've always been temperamental and
> moody (A true Cancer). Besides that, my sister died yesterday and I've
> got a wicked schedule this week.


Barbara, I am sorry to hear of your terrible loss. Marcel joins me
in expressing our deepest sympathy to you and the rest of your family
on the death of your sister, Anne. Love, Margaret and Marcel

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages