"ApplePieFilling" ??? What would you use ???

weiler

May 4, 2001, 10:46:33 AM5/4/01
Hi. I keep bumping into recipes that call for "apple pie filling".
Okay, I could buy a can of it, but I'd rather not. What would you
all use in place of the can ? Apples/sugar/water ...

-Kristina

Debbie Deutsch

May 4, 2001, 11:20:03 AM5/4/01
weiler <wei...@voicenet.com> wrote in
<dhzI6.69$e5....@news3.voicenet.com>:

Usually, a fresh apple pie filling calls for apples (granny smith is a
reliable variety, but there are many opinions on what is best), over which
is showered a mixture of sugar (usually white), cinnamon, and a touch of
nutmeg. Sometimes butter is dotted on top. Water is never added. In
fact, the battle is to avoid having the filling turn out too watery. The
variety of apple has some affect on that. Also, various binding agents are
sometimes used, for example, white flour, cornstarch, arrowroot, tapioca,
and another brand-name ingredient (its name escapes me just now) that
Cooks' Illustrated likes and is carried by King Arthur flour.

If you get tired of just apples, you can add raisins, cranberries, or other
complementary fruit to the pie.

That's for fresh apple pie. One of my favorite recipes for apple pie comes
from a cookbook named "Cooking from Quilt Country". It surrounds the apple
slices with custard. This pie is very rich, but it gets raves every time.

Going further afield, Julia Child's recipe for a French apple tart has
applesauce (cooked with some additions) as a bottom layer and thin, neatly
arrayed apple slices on top. This probably isn't what you are looking for,
but it is heavenly and worth a try. Your guests will be impressed.

Debbie

Jay

May 4, 2001, 11:37:23 AM5/4/01
I always make my own apple sauce style filling, sliced/diced apples sugar
depending how sweete the variety of apple is, a teaspoon full of water and
juice of half a lemon, also you can add cinnamon or raisons if you like,
then cook down really slowley, I normally turn my gas hob right down and use
a heavy bottomed pan, and it can take anything up to 1 hr for all the apples
to have gone mushy

HTH

Jay

"Debbie Deutsch" <ddeutsc...@nospam.ma.ultranet.com> wrote in message

PENMART01

May 4, 2001, 12:34:49 PM5/4/01
weiler <wei...@voicenet.com> wrote:

>Hi. I keep bumping into recipes that call for "apple pie filling".
>Okay, I could buy a can of it, but I'd rather not. What would you
>all use in place of the can ? Apples/sugar/water ...

The nicest apple pies I've ever made were where the filling was prepared from
dried (dehydrated) apples, the apple flavor is more intense and the texture
less mushy; obviously there is less work and no waste. Dried apples are easily
available from stupidmarkets at reasonable prices (usually less than fresh)
especially from markets that sell bulk and from so-called health food shops.
And of course there are no storage problems with dehydrated fruits, they last
about forever.

One pound of dehydated apples equals approximately ten pounds of fresh. To one
pound of dehydrated apples add 2 quarts of water and *slowly* bring to a gentle
boil, stir occasionally and cook 5 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and let
rest, covered, till room temperature.

Make a slurry of cornstarch and cold water; bring apples back to boil and add
cornstarch mixture and cook until thick and clear. Turn off heat.

While still hot carefully blend in sugar (about 1 pound), a pinch of salt,
butter (about 2 ounces), a tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and the juice of one
lemon. Cool throughly. May be refrigerated up to two days for later use.

Scale about 3 1/2 cups filling into each unbaked pie crust, cover with top
crust and bake at 425 degrees F for about 45 minutes, until crust is nicely
browned.

I'm writing this from memory as I've never written it down, so you may need to
make minor adjustments for quantities as you go.

Dehydrated peaches work well too.

Sheldon
````````````

Michael Edelman

May 4, 2001, 2:07:37 PM5/4/01
Jay wrote:

> I always make my own apple sauce style filling, sliced/diced apples sugar
> depending how sweete the variety of apple is, a teaspoon full of water and
> juice of half a lemon, also you can add cinnamon or raisons if you like,
> then cook down really slowley,

Cooking the filling beforehand makes for a softer, more homogenous
filling that reminds me too much of the canned product. WHile it is
possible to made a good cooked filling I think one of the nice aspects
of homemade pie is that you can make a more distinctive pie that tastes
fresher and more apple-y.

To that end, I use sliced, peeled apples, a sprinkling of sugar and
apple pie spice, and, optionally, raisins. The apples are arranged in
a circular fashion within the crust, sprinkled with sugar and spice and
then the top is rolled on.

-- mike
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net
http://www.foldingkayaks.org (nomadics)
http://www.findascope.com (choosing a telescope)

JEM

May 5, 2001, 2:28:13 AM5/5/01
Kristina wrote:

>Hi. I keep bumping into recipes that call for
>"apple pie filling". Okay, I could buy a can of it,
>but I'd rather not. What would you all use in
>place of the can ? Apples/sugar/water ...

The recipe for any apple pie, the filling part, will work just
fine, IMO; there are a plethora of them available. Just look in any
"general" cookbook or run a recipe search for "Apple pie".

My "recipe" consists of sliced Granny Smith apples, a combo of
white and brown sugar, lots of cinnamon (I like cinnamon!), some nutmeg,
a pinch of salt and the merest smidge of ginger, a touch of lemon juice,
and some corn starch. Sorry about the lack of definite
amounts, but these days I never measure when making this mixture; I've
been throwing this "recipe" together for so many years that it's become
almost automatic by now. Also, the amounts depend a lot on both the
sweetness/tartness of the apples and Individual Taste.
I do know that I usually use *in toto* about one-third *less* than
the amount of sugar most recipes call for, and that amount is a mixture
of around two-thirds white and one-third dark brown, and I use about
twice as much cinnamon as most recipes call for, but beyond that...)
Sometimes I add raisins or nuts, and sometimes I add a splash of
applejack. Depends on my mood, and what's on hand. When I do add
raisins, I generally soak them for a while in either applejack or cider
-- but not always. <g>

Stir it all up together, let it sit for a bit so the flavors will
meld, and it's nice for *lots* of things. Sometimes I just saute it as
is and use it as a topping for vanilla ice cream (preferrably while it's
still warm, which is positively decadent, IMO!), toast, waffles, or
pancakes. Lovely!
It makes a darkish and rich-tasting apple filling/topping with a
thickish, spicy, syrupy "gravy" that contrasts nicely with the crisp
sweet-tart of the apples.
I also tend to "undercook" it a bit whether it's in a pie or "just
plain" -- I like the apples to be "al dente", rather than soft.

Good stuff, and quite easy to make. I think I'll have to get some
apples tomorrow...

JEM

I don't suffer from insanity......I'm enjoying every minute of it!

Carmen Flores

May 6, 2001, 3:20:34 PM5/6/01
I just use fresh apples chopped in small cubes, with lots of white sugar and
a bit of cinnamon.. but last time i made the pay, my boyfriend confess me
that he prefers not to feel the pieces of apples, he would like me to try
with mashed apples or something like that, i don't know how to do that,
maybe i have to boil the apples first? Does anyone has done such thing?
Carmen

"weiler" <wei...@voicenet.com> skrev i meddelandet

Martha Hughes

May 6, 2001, 7:04:08 PM5/6/01

Carmen Flores <carmen...@home123.se> wrote in message

> I just use fresh apples chopped in small cubes, with lots of white sugar
and
> a bit of cinnamon.. but last time i made the pay, my boyfriend confess me
> that he prefers not to feel the pieces of apples, he would like me to try
> with mashed apples or something like that, i don't know how to do that,
> maybe i have to boil the apples first? Does anyone has done such thing?
> Carmen

Perhaps he can make one for you, just the way he likes it!

Brian

May 7, 2001, 6:50:01 AM5/7/01
Hi

Perhaps try cooking down some apples like the Granny smith or any good tart
cooking apple
that collapses as it cooks (ie cooks to a puree)

s\weeten and spice the puree and use that as a filling tho yould have to
blind bake the bottom shell first i think

if it needed stiffening maybe use some instant clearjel or tapioca ??

anyways just my .05c worth :)

CatMandy99

May 7, 2001, 12:45:14 PM5/7/01
If you don't care to use canned apple pie filling, just make your own.

Slice apples...how many depends on how much you need...for an 8 inch apple pie,
I use about 6-8apples:
2-3 granny smiths
2 macintoshes
2-3 firm, sweet apples, like large gala reds or cortlandts

Peel and slice the apples, put in a heavy skillet with a bit of butter, 3/4-1
cup white sugar, to which a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and some nutmeg has been
added (more or less to taste), and a teaspoon of cornstarch has been mixed in,
and let the apples cook down, over low heat, until tender, but still holding
their shape, and the sugar has formed a thick syrup around the apple slices.

The reason for using different kinds of apples is for the texture. The Macs are
crumbly, they will be sort of "applesaucey" in the pie, and the granny smiths
and the galas will hold their shape, and the blend of sweet and tart apples is
pleasant.

Pre-cooking your apple pie filling is one way to keep the top crust close to
the apples inside the pie, avoiding that dome-like top crust that crumbles when
you try to serve it. :-)
Sheryl
(Remove the crap to email)
Live like there's no tomorrow...
Love like you've never been hurt,
and Dance like there's nobody watching.

Barrie Mather

May 8, 2001, 3:47:35 AM5/8/01

Peel and core the apples - I prefer Blenheim Orange, but they're aweful
hard to get nowadays (in Oz anyway)
cut aples into 1 cm. cubes, or thereabouts. Put apples into saucepan,
covered, on low heat with juice of a couple of lemons. The low heat
will liberate enough fluid to stop the apples catching. Sugar to taste
(not much, 2 tablespoons max), spices of your choice (cardamom)
A tastey variant is replace the lemon juice with a cup or so of
gooseberries, in which case you might need to a couple of tablespoons of
water

Barrie

Michael Edelman

May 8, 2001, 8:48:40 AM5/8/01
Carmen Flores wrote:

> I just use fresh apples chopped in small cubes, with lots of white sugar and
> a bit of cinnamon.. but last time i made the pay, my boyfriend confess me
> that he prefers not to feel the pieces of apples, he would like me to try
> with mashed apples or something like that, i don't know how to do that,
> maybe i have to boil the apples first? Does anyone has done such thing?

Sounds like your boyfriend was raised on pies made with canned filling.
You *could* cook the filling before baking the pie, but I think it would
be easier overall to get a new boyfriend. Do you really want to spend
your life with someone who prefers *cooked* pie filling??? ;-)

-- mike

Jack Schidt

May 8, 2001, 9:05:26 AM5/8/01

"Michael Edelman" <m...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

This is a prime example of issues that need to be raised
before marriage. Here's a little anecdote to illustrate my
point.

I attended a show at a Denver nightclub years ago (the
Mercury Cafe). The nachos there were made with a nice chile
verde and real monterey jack cheese. My date wanted nachos.
When they arrived, my date looked at them momentarily and
sent them back. Marilyn, the owner, came over with a
quizzical look on her face and asked "what's wrong with the
nachos?" I shrugged and became wide-eyed as my date
proclaimed "I like nachos the way they make 'em at 7-11,
with all that orange sauce on them."

"CHECK !!"

Jack Mystery Date

Ginny Sher

May 8, 2001, 12:17:27 PM5/8/01

>I attended a show at a Denver nightclub years ago (the
>Mercury Cafe). The nachos there were made with a nice chile
>verde and real monterey jack cheese. My date wanted nachos.
>When they arrived, my date looked at them momentarily and
>sent them back. Marilyn, the owner, came over with a
>quizzical look on her face and asked "what's wrong with the
>nachos?" I shrugged and became wide-eyed as my date
>proclaimed "I like nachos the way they make 'em at 7-11,
>with all that orange sauce on them."
>

>"CHECK !!"
>

>Jack Mystery Date

Geeze, you were right to drop her like a hot potato.

Best regards,
Ginny Sher

jammer

May 8, 2001, 2:55:45 PM5/8/01

I have worked at 7-11s for years and that is just plain sick...that
fake cheese and chili crap is just that, crap.

Carmen Flores

May 8, 2001, 3:27:34 PM5/8/01

"Michael Edelman" <m...@spamcop.net> skrev i meddelandet

I think that would be a little drastic, actually, here in Sweden people
don't eat much apple pies.. they mostly know McDonald's apple pie, so what
can i expect??? I gotta be a little patient don't u think? Anyways.. thanks
for ur suggestion.. who knows.. right?

Carmen

mccorsp

May 6, 2001, 11:42:38 PM5/6/01
Well you don't need the can. But use Apples, sugar water, cinnamon to taste
and add cornstarch to thicken.

Pre- mix water with the cornstarch. Try 1/3rd cup per 2 cups water. Adjust
if needed.

Mr. Scott