Mundane food post

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 31, 2021, 6:13:02 PM7/31/21
A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real star,
freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter and cooked
in the microwave. It really does taste different than canned.

<https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>

leo

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 6:16:25 PM7/31/21
On 31 Jul 2021 22:12:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
Americans and their corn. A match made in heaven :)

I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
them out most of the time.

Snag

Jul 31, 2021, 6:38:04 PM7/31/21
Not much more mundane than our dinner . I'll be grilling burgers -
turkey for her , beef for me - and doing some hand cut fries in the air
fryer . And fresh tomato slices , I better get out there and pick some
tomatoes !
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

GM

Jul 31, 2021, 8:01:57 PM7/31/21
Not too shabby there, Leo...

;-)

--
GM

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 31, 2021, 8:26:43 PM7/31/21
Two starches but I'd dig in with no qualms! Everything looks quite tasty.

I've got a bag of frozen corn kernels in the freezer and I need to cook them.
Fried corn comes to mind. Mmmmmmm

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 31, 2021, 8:28:17 PM7/31/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 5:16:25 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.1 wrote:

> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> them out most of the time.

Why??? Don't you like corn?? It is a starchy vegetable but it should be
no problem for you if you're eating them with the other mixed vegetables.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 8:47:40 PM7/31/21
Replace the corn with another seriously cooked vegetable and it looks
like traditional Dutch food.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 8:48:58 PM7/31/21
I don't hate corn but we eat that mix often and after a while that
corn becomes a bit much.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2021, 8:55:13 PM7/31/21
Corn? I love corn, dammit - It's my favorite vegetable!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oXNvQmuXh3aZQrei7

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 9:37:23 PM7/31/21
Of course, you're an American.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2021, 9:51:18 PM7/31/21
rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American. That's just so weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1GchaSO1A

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 9:54:05 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:51:15 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
That's because you pretend to be an Asian.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 31, 2021, 10:03:50 PM7/31/21
On 2021-07-31, Bruce 3.1 <Bruc...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> them out most of the time.

I couldn't pass them up. Three ears, right off the stalk, for a buck.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 10:07:02 PM7/31/21
On 1 Aug 2021 02:03:45 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
That's cheap.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 31, 2021, 10:11:27 PM7/31/21
I buy bags of frozen mixed vegetables when I make a pot of vegetable
beef soup. I think it's all a balance of each vegetable but sometimes
it does seem like they went heavy on the corn. Every single spoonful
of soup has at least one kernel of corn in it.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 10:17:33 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:11:24 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 7:48:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:28:14 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>> >Why??? Don't you like corn?? It is a starchy vegetable but it should be
>> >no problem for you if you're eating them with the other mixed vegetables.
>> >
>> I don't hate corn but we eat that mix often and after a while that
>> corn becomes a bit much.
>>
>I buy bags of frozen mixed vegetables when I make a pot of vegetable
>beef soup. I think it's all a balance of each vegetable but sometimes
>it does seem like they went heavy on the corn. Every single spoonful
>of soup has at least one kernel of corn in it.

When they mix things, whether it's vegetables or nuts etc, they always
OD on the cheapest ingredient. I believe corn is a cheap vegetable.
With nuts, they always add mostly peanuts.

dsi1

Jul 31, 2021, 10:33:51 PM7/31/21
Yoose pretending to be an Aussie.

Mike Duffy

Jul 31, 2021, 11:02:53 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:51:15 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

> rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American.

And if you know what's good for you, you'll not forget it!

Anyways, I cooked a trout on my BBQ today, mostly because I'm not allowed
to cook fish indoors. The starch side was roasted parsnip / rutabaga /
potato / sweet potato chunks and the 'vitamin' veggies were leek + red
pepper + vidali onion. As well, there were shitake mushrooms, despite
that fungi are more closely related to animals than plants.

Michael Trew

Jul 31, 2021, 11:26:35 PM7/31/21
Yes, most mixed nuts are at least half peanuts; cheap ones are usually
more than half peanuts.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 11:51:37 PM7/31/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 19:33:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
At least I live there :)

Bruce 3.1

Jul 31, 2021, 11:52:37 PM7/31/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 03:02:48 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy <bo...@nosuch.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:51:15 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American.
>
>And if you know what's good for you, you'll not forget it!

That's the spirit!

dsi1

Aug 1, 2021, 12:09:31 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 5:02:53 PM UTC-10, Mike Duffy wrote:
> And if you know what's good for you, you'll not forget it!

I know what America is and I know who Americans are. You clowns believe that only drunken rednecks with guns qualify as real Americans. You're the one that needs a civics lesson on America, pal!

dsi1

Aug 1, 2021, 12:12:13 AM8/1/21
You might not be a real Aussie but you're certainly a real wanker!

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 1:40:52 AM8/1/21
On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 21:12:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
See, that's typical American redneck behaviour. An Asian would have
said that behind my back.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2021, 5:50:26 AM8/1/21
Looks good. Nothing like fresh corn, although we prefer ours grilled.

For me, it was grilled chicken breast on a salad (romaine, cucumber,
carrot, tomato) dressed with lime vinaigrette. Bread with olive oil
drizzled on it.

Then for dessert, a fall in the laundry room. Luckily, the laundry
basket absorbed most of the damage. Good thing my bones are
still 100%.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2021, 5:52:49 AM8/1/21
I don't care about the corn, but those green beans look great.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2021, 5:55:12 AM8/1/21
Because you so frequently refer to Americans as if you aren't one.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Aug 1, 2021, 7:17:53 AM8/1/21
Jumbo corn muffins with corn niblets.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2021, 7:44:10 AM8/1/21
That's your Cindy-world beliefs. I am an American. What I'm not is a mainlander. You're an American too. You just ain't no Hawaiian. When I say "Americans" I'm including myself and the people of Hawaii. When I say "mainlanders" I'm talking about you guys, not us guys. When I say "Hawaiians" or "Locals" I'm talking about us, not you.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 7:46:46 AM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 04:44:07 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:12 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> > rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American. That's just so weird.
>> Because you so frequently refer to Americans as if you aren't one.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
>That's your Cindy-world beliefs. I am an American. What I'm not is a mainlander. You're an American too. You just ain't no Hawaiian. When I say "Americans" I'm including myself and the people of Hawaii. When I say "mainlanders" I'm talking about you guys, not us guys.

How many years of your fascinating life did you spend on the mainland?

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2021, 7:50:38 AM8/1/21
Sure. If you say so.

Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Aug 1, 2021, 8:02:52 AM8/1/21
On 7/31/2021 6:12 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real star,
> freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter and cooked
> in the microwave. It really does taste different than canned.
>
> <https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
>
> leo

Looks good to me, Leo!

Jill

Bryan Simmons

Aug 1, 2021, 8:05:36 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 10:02:53 PM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:51:15 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American.
> And if you know what's good for you, you'll not forget it!
>
> Anyways, I cooked a trout on my BBQ today, mostly because I'm not allowed
> to cook fish indoors.

When I did my few month pescatarian thing, I fried fish every day. I had moved
back in with my parents, who weren't crazy about my frying fish at 5 AM.

One wonders what *she* isn't allowed to do. ;)

--Bryan

Mike Duffy

Aug 1, 2021, 9:11:18 AM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 02:52:45 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I don't care about the corn, but

I'm flummoxed that this is a half-dozen posts in a row about corn, and
neither Hank nor Bryan has trotted out the dead horse.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 1, 2021, 9:37:48 AM8/1/21
The "4 post waterbed" is the new corn cob, just like "3rd and 4th grade" is
the new 14, 15, 16, 17. Gotta try to stay current on Kuthe's perversions.

--Bryan

Mike Duffy

Aug 1, 2021, 9:47:40 AM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 02:55:09 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Because you so frequently refer to Americans as if you aren't one.

I honestly never noticed it. I think it's because I'm Canadian.

As such, we are technically part of 'America' both in the literal
continental sense as well as 'land of the free', when compared to shit-
hole countries like most of Asia & Africa, &c.

We do feel some national pride, but the only place in Canada where you
see as many flags as in small-town USA is in Quebec, and that's with the
flag of Quebec, not Canada.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 1, 2021, 9:53:09 AM8/1/21
It is mis-labeled anyway. Should read Mixed Nuts, Seeds, Legumes.

Gary

Aug 1, 2021, 10:50:33 AM8/1/21
On 7/31/2021 6:16 PM, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2021 22:12:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real star,
>> freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter and cooked
>> in the microwave. It really does taste different than canned.
>>
>> <https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
>
> Americans and their corn. A match made in heaven :)
>
> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> them out most of the time.

I grew baby corn for a few years until the local squirrels discovered
them. :(

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 11:20:50 AM8/1/21
LOL thanks for that... that was my laugh for the day!

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 11:22:41 AM8/1/21
Ouch, glad you are OK. Did the laundry basket make it? Lol.. job for
mr. duct tape.

Gary

Aug 1, 2021, 11:43:50 AM8/1/21
Yes but a little cream of mushroom soup would have really hooked him up.

Jill: "I don't like cream of mushroom soup"

"I don't care for any mushrooms unless
they are those tiny button ones"

"Mushrooms just aren't my thing."

bruce bowser

Aug 1, 2021, 11:45:40 AM8/1/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 6:16:25 PM UTC-4, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2021 22:12:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real star,
> >freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter and cooked
> >in the microwave. It really does taste different than canned.
> >
> ><https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
> Americans and their corn. A match made in heaven :)
>
> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> them out most of the time.

The Dutch and their Fish. A match made in heaven

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 1, 2021, 12:38:06 PM8/1/21
One corner of the laundry basket is cracked right through.

We don't tend to use duct tape to fix anything. My husband will take
a look at it. If he fixes it, I suspect steel will be involved.

Laundry baskets are about six bucks. I'll probably buy a new one.

Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2021, 1:15:33 PM8/1/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 4:50:26 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Then for dessert, a fall in the laundry room. Luckily, the laundry
> basket absorbed most of the damage. Good thing my bones are
> still 100%.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

How in the world did you fall?? Trip over a wayward towel??
Glad you're ok!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 1, 2021, 1:17:41 PM8/1/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 8:11:18 AM UTC-5, Mike Duffy wrote:

> I'm flummoxed that this is a half-dozen posts in a row about corn, and
> neither Hank nor Bryan has trotted out the dead horse.

Dead horses don't trot, they'd have to be dragged out.

Har-har-har-har.

GM

Aug 1, 2021, 1:18:14 PM8/1/21
Yeah, and stinks like HELL, lol...

--
GM

Mike Duffy

Aug 1, 2021, 3:45:23 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 07:17:44 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Jumbo corn muffins with corn niblets.

Why is everyone posting about corn? Either Bruce is right about corn, or
someone's trying to trigger Hank.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 3:46:14 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 13:11:13 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy <bo...@nosuch.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 02:52:45 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> I don't care about the corn, but
>
>I'm flummoxed that this is a half-dozen posts in a row about corn

Yeah, this thread should be moved to a cooking group.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 3:53:48 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 13:47:35 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy <bo...@nosuch.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 02:55:09 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> Because you so frequently refer to Americans as if you aren't one.
>
>I honestly never noticed it. I think it's because I'm Canadian.
>
>As such, we are technically part of 'America' both in the literal
>continental sense as well as 'land of the free', when compared to shit-
>hole countries like most of Asia & Africa, &c.

There's a bit more land of the free than you seem to think.

>We do feel some national pride, but the only place in Canada where you
>see as many flags as in small-town USA is in Quebec, and that's with the
>flag of Quebec, not Canada.

Minorities are always more vocal.

dsi1

Aug 1, 2021, 4:13:42 PM8/1/21
I enjoy "Letterkenny" but our Canadian friends might find it insulting. That's not right!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 4:21:16 PM8/1/21
I grew chickpeas for one year until the local bandicoots discovered
them.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 4:38:38 PM8/1/21
lol

Bruce 3.1

Aug 1, 2021, 4:39:03 PM8/1/21
If you say so.

Dave Smith

Aug 1, 2021, 5:11:28 PM8/1/21
I love that show. I know that a lot of people won't like it because they
can't follow the dialogue, which is just a barrage of wordplay and
double entendres. It has a special appeal for me because I knew people
like that. When I was a teen my best friend's moved to hobby farm in a
rural area in the same area the show's creator is from. I used to spend
a lot of time up there and met the same types of characters... but not
the gay Goths.

I got my wife interested in the show too. She had a hard time following
the first few episodes but once she adapted to the fast and pun filled
dialogue she was hooked on it.

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 9:00:01 PM8/1/21
I haven't seen a hank post in a day or two. Maybe he's bored of it? Lol

Michael Trew

Aug 1, 2021, 9:01:14 PM8/1/21
As much as I joke about it, I don't frequently use duct tape. I must
admit, however, that I've duct taped cracked laundry baskets in the
past. One is still holding years later.

Mike Duffy

Aug 2, 2021, 12:03:41 AM8/2/21
On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 13:13:39 -0700, dsi1 wrote:

> I enjoy "Letterkenny" but our Canadian friends might find it insulting.

I'm watching that now too. Did you catch "Schitt's Creek"?

dsi1

Aug 2, 2021, 12:22:13 AM8/2/21
I have not. I will check it out. Thanks.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 2, 2021, 1:28:35 AM8/2/21
On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 5:38:04 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
> On 7/31/2021 5:12 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> > A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real star,
> > freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter and cooked
> > in the microwave. It really does taste different than canned.
> >
> > <https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
> >
> > leo
> >
> Not much more mundane than our dinner . I'll be grilling burgers -
> turkey for her , beef for me - and doing some hand cut fries in the air
> fryer . And fresh tomato slices , I better get out there and pick some
> tomatoes !

Turkey burgers and air fryer potatoes sound like a punishment.

> --
> Snag

--Bryan

Bruce 3.1

Aug 2, 2021, 1:32:29 AM8/2/21
On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 04:03:36 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy <bo...@nosuch.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Aug 2021 13:13:39 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I enjoy "Letterkenny" but our Canadian friends might find it insulting.
>
>I'm watching that now too. Did you catch "Schitt's Creek"?

That was great!

songbird

Aug 2, 2021, 6:50:04 AM8/2/21
we got a lot of laughs out of it. will watch again
sometime in the future i'm sure. i listen to them as
Mom watches them.

it's nice have something that doesn't have the f-bombs
all the time.

she's currently watching Burn Notice which is completely
different but also funny and not so much swearing.

songbird

cshenk

Aug 2, 2021, 10:07:59 PM8/2/21
Bruce 3.1 wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2021 22:12:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real
> > star, freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter
> > and cooked in the microwave. It really does taste different than
> > canned.
> >
> > <https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
>
> Americans and their corn. A match made in heaven :)
>
> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> them out most of the time.

Yup! We love corn!

cshenk

Aug 2, 2021, 10:10:33 PM8/2/21
dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 2:48:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:28:14 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> > <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> > fish >> them out most of the time.
> > >>
> > > Why??? Don't you like corn?? It is a starchy vegetable but it
> > > should be no problem for you if you're eating them with the other
> > > mixed vegetables.
> > I don't hate corn but we eat that mix often and after a while that
> > corn becomes a bit much.
>
> Corn? I love corn, dammit - It's my favorite vegetable!
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/oXNvQmuXh3aZQrei7

Major yum! I want to call it a corn and meat frittata but I don't know
what a frittata is. It just sounds good.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 2, 2021, 10:23:24 PM8/2/21
On Monday, August 2, 2021 at 9:10:33 PM UTC-5, cshenk wrote:

> Major yum! I want to call it a corn and meat frittata but I don't know
> what a frittata is. It just sounds good.

A frittata is like an omelet that is not folded but left as in the
skillet and finished in the oven.

Michael Trew

Aug 3, 2021, 1:38:39 AM8/3/21
On 7/31/2021 8:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 2:48:58 PM UTC-10, Bruce 3.1 wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 17:28:14 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>>> Why??? Don't you like corn?? It is a starchy vegetable but it should be
>>> no problem for you if you're eating them with the other mixed vegetables.
>> I don't hate corn but we eat that mix often and after a while that
>> corn becomes a bit much.
>
> Corn? I love corn, dammit - It's my favorite vegetable!
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/oXNvQmuXh3aZQrei7

I hate to say it, but corn is a grain -- not a vegetable.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 3, 2021, 3:58:22 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 12:38:39 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> I hate to say it, but corn is a grain -- not a vegetable.

Corn can be considered a grain or a vegetable based on when it
was harvested.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 3, 2021, 4:15:45 PM8/3/21
"The leafy stalk of the plant produces pollen inflorescences and
separate ovuliferous inflorescences called ears that yield kernels or
seeds, which are fruits."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize>

--
Bruce, for all your fact checking

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 3, 2021, 5:09:52 PM8/3/21
> Bruce, for all your fact checking

"Corn can be considered either a grain or a vegetable, based on when it is harvested.
The maturity level of corn at harvest affects both its use at meals and its nutritional
value. Corn that is harvested when fully mature and dry is considered a grain. It can
be milled into cornmeal and used in such foods as corn tortillas and cornbread.
Popcorn is also harvested when mature, and is considered to be a whole grain. On
the other hand, fresh corn (e.g., corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels) is harvested
when it is soft and has kernels full of liquid. Fresh corn is considered a starchy
vegetable. Its nutrient content differs from dry corn, and it is eaten in different
ways -- often on the cob, as a side dish, or mixed with other vegetables."

https://ask.usda.gov/
(usda - U.S. Department of Agriculture)

Joan, for all your fact-checking.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 3, 2021, 5:23:28 PM8/3/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:09:49 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
They're corrupt. Follow the money! Marxists!

dsi1

Aug 3, 2021, 5:33:29 PM8/3/21
The Hawaiians would call it "little yellow things."

Bruce 3.1

Aug 3, 2021, 5:43:02 PM8/3/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 14:33:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
The first little steps on the path to speech :)

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 6:14:03 PM8/3/21
Whatever that was (looked burnt to me but could be bad lighting) was not
a frittata. It did contain corn and what appears to be some sort of
ground meat.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 3, 2021, 6:16:11 PM8/3/21
I thought that's what they called yoose dinks.

dsi1

Aug 3, 2021, 6:28:50 PM8/3/21
It's what they call those things hanging off of yoose anus.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 3, 2021, 6:33:32 PM8/3/21
We're not going to go into the non-food uses...

> Joan, for all your fact-checking.

--Bryan

cshenk

Aug 3, 2021, 7:06:53 PM8/3/21
Mike Duffy wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2021 18:51:15 -0700, dsi1 wrote:
>
> > rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American.
>
> And if you know what's good for you, you'll not forget it!
>
> Anyways, I cooked a trout on my BBQ today, mostly because I'm not
> allowed to cook fish indoors. The starch side was roasted parsnip /
> rutabaga / potato / sweet potato chunks and the 'vitamin' veggies
> were leek + red pepper + vidali onion. As well, there were shitake
> mushrooms, despite that fungi are more closely related to animals
> than plants.

MAJOR YUM! (sorry, would have skipped the sweet potato but the rest!
YUM!)

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 9:30:37 PM8/3/21
On 8/2/2021 10:10 PM, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>

>> Corn? I love corn, dammit - It's my favorite vegetable!
>>
>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/oXNvQmuXh3aZQrei7
>
> Major yum! I want to call it a corn and meat frittata but I don't know
> what a frittata is. It just sounds good.

I'm sorry, major yum? That's not what I saw. It looked like a burnt
sort of "pancake" containing corn and some sort of meat, perhaps there
was an egg in there as a binder. Some sort of oily looking green beans
on the side.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 3, 2021, 9:48:57 PM8/3/21
Isn't a frittata sort of a half assed omelet?

GM

Aug 3, 2021, 9:59:09 PM8/3/21
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 6:44:10 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 11:55:12 PM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > rfc people feel the need to keep telling me I'm an American. That's just so weird.
> > Because you so frequently refer to Americans as if you aren't one.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> That's your Cindy-world beliefs. I am an American. What I'm not is a mainlander. You're an American too. You just ain't no Hawaiian. When I say "Americans" I'm including myself and the people of Hawaii. When I say "mainlanders" I'm talking about you guys, not us guys. When I say "Hawaiians" or "Locals" I'm talking about us, not you.

U r a FREEK, Poi Boi... you should be shoved into a gunny sack and thrown DEEP down into the Marianas TRENCH...

--
GM

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 3, 2021, 11:14:27 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 8:48:57 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Isn't a frittata sort of a half assed omelet?

It's an 'omelet' that hasn't been folded but finished in the oven.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:10:43 AM8/4/21
lol

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 12:10:07 PM8/4/21
On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 jmcquown wrote:
A fritata is an omelet. We like them made with fried potatoes,
sometimes also with bell peppers.
Corn is my least favorite vegetable... keeps dental floss in business.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 12:19:27 PM8/4/21
No need to finish in the oven, easy in a pan on the stove top... can
be finished by covering or flipping. I make dozen egg frittatas,
after flipping slice into four portions with the edge of a spatula.

dsi1

Aug 4, 2021, 12:51:55 PM8/4/21
I've made a frittata. You get a large heap of onions and fry it gently in some butter until it's caramelized. You then add some eggs and stir in and continue cooking it as a pancake. It's a pretty good dish but it takes too long to caramelize the onions. I don't have not time for frittata!

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 4, 2021, 1:36:37 PM8/4/21
You don't floss after every meal anyway?

No wonder my dental hygienist always tells me I'm doing a good job.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Aug 4, 2021, 2:22:54 PM8/4/21
I certainly do. Mostly because I can't tolerate having bits of food
between my teeth. The only corn I enjoy is cream style canned. To me
corn on the cob is critter food... birds are welcome to my share. We
grew corn twice but no more. Not worth it, takes up too much garden
space and at the time it's ready to pick tons of corn here is
available at a dozen ears for a buck at the many farm stands. For the
home garden we consider corn a garbage crop... mostly the plants
become Halloween/Thanksgiving decorations. And home grown corn is
never as good as that grown by professional corn farmers. Of course
they know how to use proper fertilizers... I've never seen organic
corn at market. In fact all the packets of corn seed I've ever seen
says not for human consumption... corn seed is treated to keep
critters from eating it or birds will eat it faster than you can plant
it. Dried corn is chicken feed.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 3:08:37 PM8/4/21
Jill's used to bland Anglo cooking. Those beans would have too much
flavour for her.

cshenk

Aug 4, 2021, 5:34:22 PM8/4/21
Bruce 3.1 wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2021 02:03:45 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
> <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >On 2021-07-31, Bruce 3.1 <Bruc...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> I only see (baby) corn in frozen mixed vegetables and then we fish
> >> them out most of the time.
> >
> > I couldn't pass them up. Three ears, right off the stalk, for a
> > buck.
>
> That's cheap.

It's actually 4-5/1$ here. Seasonal low price.

cshenk

Aug 4, 2021, 5:37:38 PM8/4/21
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> On Saturday, July 31, 2021 at 5:13:02 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:
> >
> > A pork chop, an exploded and doctored baked potato and, the real
> > star, freshly shucked corn kernels, peppered, slathered in butter
> > and cooked in the microwave. It really does taste different than
> > canned.
> >
> > <https://postimg.cc/qgwkfSFt>
> >
> > leo
> >
> Two starches but I'd dig in with no qualms! Everything looks quite
> tasty.
>
> I've got a bag of frozen corn kernels in the freezer and I need to
> cook them. Fried corn comes to mind. Mmmmmmm

We mostly do 1-2 starches, 1-2 veggies (corn counted with veggies
here), 1 fruit (may be a snack between meals), and most times a
'protein' (often not actually a meat).

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 4, 2021, 6:22:45 PM8/4/21
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:19:27 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 20:14:24 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >It's an 'omelet' that hasn't been folded but finished in the oven.
>
> No need to finish in the oven, easy in a pan on the stove top... can
> be finished by covering or flipping.

Then it's an omelet if you flip. The point of finishing in the oven is to
finish cooking without folding or flipping. Covering it will only produce
a soggy top. No sogginess and even a bit of top browning if finished
in the oven for about 10 minutes or so.

> I make dozen egg frittatas,
> after flipping slice into four portions with the edge of a spatula.

You're not making a frittata, you're making an omelet.

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 6:36:23 PM8/4/21
Didn't you know? Sheldon loves going to the dentist because the dental
hygienist has huge boobs. LOL

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 6:39:46 PM8/4/21
What picture were you looking at Gary? Those green beans were
glistening with *something*. And the whatever it was that contained
corn definitely looked nearly burnt.

Jill

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 7:39:14 PM8/4/21
On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 18:36:14 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
And the dentist can't wait until Sheldon drops by again, because he's
so wildly attractive.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 11:56:16 PM8/4/21
On 8/4/2021 1:36 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I wish I could, but I only do if something is stuck in my teeth. My
teeth are very tight together, and my gums usually bleed when I floss.
It's quite difficult, and I've broken the floss between my teeth, and
even gotten pieces of floss stuck between my teeth. My dentist doesn't
blame me for disliking flossing, but still suggests that I should, of
course.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 11:58:57 PM8/4/21
That sounds good... I think I might have to try that.

Ed Pawlowski

Aug 5, 2021, 12:15:09 AM8/5/21
Instead of doing the onion in butter, chop some bacon and do them together.

dsi1

Aug 5, 2021, 2:07:39 AM8/5/21
I had that same problem but have been using a water flosser for the last decade. It makes flossing dead simple. The Waterpik brand flosser is getting pretty long in tooth so I've ordered a cheaper replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Flosser-Irrigator-Pressure-Cleaner-Electric/dp/B0876YT6RW

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 5, 2021, 5:35:57 AM8/5/21
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:56:16 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:

> I wish I could, but I only do if something is stuck in my teeth. My
> teeth are very tight together, and my gums usually bleed when I floss.
> It's quite difficult, and I've broken the floss between my teeth, and
> even gotten pieces of floss stuck between my teeth. My dentist doesn't
> blame me for disliking flossing, but still suggests that I should, of
> course.

I have tight contacts, too. I use this:

<https://www.amazon.com/Reach-Dentotape-Cleaning-Surface-Unflavored/dp/B000052YAN>

You might consider Teflon floss:

<https://www.amazon.com/Oral-B-Glide-Pro-Health-Comfort-Dental/dp/B00240UWGG>

I don't like Teflon; it's too smooth. But if the alternative were gingivitis,
I'd use it.

Your gums bleed because you don't floss. You're headed for losing
your teeth.

You might consider something like this:

<https://www.amazon.com/GUM-Soft-Picks-Comfort-Dental-Invigorating/dp/B083F7P25B>

I'm surprised your dentist isn't more helpful.

I didn't start taking good care of my teeth until I was in my 30s. Now I have
a mouthful of very expensive crowns and implants.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:10:34 AM8/5/21
Yes and that's when I buy and stock up. Take them home, cut kernals off
the cobs and bag them, one ears worth each bag. Wrap tight and freeze.
No need to blanch the corn. They last WELL for up to 6 months in the
freezer.

That corn is much more flavorful than canned or commercially frozen corn.

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:43:48 AM8/5/21
Sheldon Martin wrote: >I can't tolerate having bits of food between my
teeth.

Simple solution for you, Sheldon. Just take them out before you eat.

It is loading more messages.