Superbowl supper

Dave Smith

Feb 11, 2024, 1:48:15 PMFeb 11
Forget about the nice Sunday dinner for this week. Superbowl calls hand
held food. I am not allowed to do wings but my wife thought pulled pork
would be a better choice. I don't understand her rationale, but I will
live with it. I made up a dry rub yesterday, applied it to the pork but
and left it in the fridge overnight. I put it into the oven at noon and
will give it about 6 hours. I just made a batch of coleslaw and it will
sit and do its flavour melding thing for a few hours.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can view it on a station that will run
the good American ads. It's always been a strange concept to me to plan
to watch the ads as a form of entertainment. I give the advertisers
credit for making their new ads a highlight. I still remember seeing
the cat herding ad on the Superbowl show a few years ago. Unlike Jill, I
was so entertained by the cats that I didn't absorb the fact it was
advertising EDS, but I do remember that was H Ross Perot's company.

Graham

Feb 11, 2024, 2:07:34 PMFeb 11
I'm watching bread dough rise! Far more entertaining.

Bruce

Feb 11, 2024, 3:25:12 PMFeb 11
On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:48:08 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Forget about the nice Sunday dinner for this week. Superbowl calls hand
>held food.

Who won? The Denver Donuts or the Milwaukee Mothballs?

Bruce

Feb 11, 2024, 3:26:06 PMFeb 11
Did a pussycat ever break up with you in a painful way?

dsi1

Feb 11, 2024, 4:11:41 PMFeb 11
I'd watch it but I can't since I don't have any cable service. OTOH, when I could watch the Super Bowl, I never did.

Ed P

Feb 11, 2024, 4:33:59 PMFeb 11
I made chicken thighs last night so will have one again tonight.

I usually have dinner at 6 and watch the news. I'll do that tonight
also, then at 7, I'll choose one of the shows on the DVR to watch.

I often watch 60 Minutes on Sunday night but seems it is not on today
because of some sports event.

Las Vegas was really active last week. It was the World of Concrete
convention. They even have a brick laying competition.

Feb 11, 2024, 4:43:50 PMFeb 11
I read in the newspaper that there is a conspiracy that says that the
result is already decided. Somehow they threw Taylor Swift into the mix.
What's the status on that?

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 11, 2024, 4:57:24 PMFeb 11
The Superbowl is irrelevant to me (except for the Taylor Swift
conspiracy theory). I'll catch the best ads online tomorrow.

Lunch was a quesadilla; dinner is a salad with grilled chicken on it
(lemon vinaigrette).

--
Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Feb 11, 2024, 4:59:39 PMFeb 11
While taking breaks from watching the bread dough rise, I intend making
Welsh Rabbit, possibly in the air fryer.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 11, 2024, 4:59:44 PMFeb 11
The Puppy Bowl! I'm streaming it right now.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Feb 11, 2024, 5:08:00 PMFeb 11
On 2/11/2024 4:59 PM, Graham wrote:
> While taking breaks from watching the bread dough rise, I intend making
> Welsh Rabbit, possibly in the air fryer.

Welsh rabbit or rarebit?

Jill

jmcquown

Feb 11, 2024, 5:09:32 PMFeb 11
I've been watching the Puppy Bowl! Too cute. Oh, and old reruns of
'Columbo' (Peter Falk) on another channel.

Jill

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 11, 2024, 5:09:44 PMFeb 11
On 2024-02-11, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
`
We're taping the Superbowl. I like the ads, and my wife likes halftime.
I used to be a Niner fan but lost interest when the NFL went #woke.
I was a big supporter of Kaepernick, since he was the quarterback for my
college alma mater. He became the Niner's quarterback. Life was good.
Then...

We're having pork short ribs, painted with BBQ sauce, Rice-A-Roni and
probably Mott's Applesauce. I may make some Pillsbury orange rolls after
the pork is done.

Graham

Feb 11, 2024, 5:23:40 PMFeb 11
It was originally spelt "rabbit" according to Davidson's
"Oxford Companion To Food".

jmcquown

Feb 11, 2024, 5:26:13 PMFeb 11
Yes, but there is no rabbit involved. ;)

Jill

Dave Smith

Feb 11, 2024, 5:34:53 PMFeb 11
As a former boss known for his malapropisms used to say, six of a dozen
one of the other. The name is interchangeable.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 11, 2024, 5:47:33 PMFeb 11
On 2024-02-11, Leonard Blaisdell <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 2024-02-11, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> `
>> Forget about the nice Sunday dinner for this week. Superbowl calls hand
>> held food. I am not allowed to do wings but my wife thought pulled pork
>> would be a better choice. I don't understand her rationale, but I will
>> live with it. I made up a dry rub yesterday, applied it to the pork but
>> and left it in the fridge overnight. I put it into the oven at noon and
>> will give it about 6 hours. I just made a batch of coleslaw and it will
>> sit and do its flavour melding thing for a few hours.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't think I can view it on a station that will run
>> the good American ads. It's always been a strange concept to me to plan
>> to watch the ads as a form of entertainment. I give the advertisers
>> credit for making their new ads a highlight. I still remember seeing
>> the cat herding ad on the Superbowl show a few years ago. Unlike Jill, I
>> was so entertained by the cats that I didn't absorb the fact it was
>> advertising EDS, but I do remember that was H Ross Perot's company.
>

> We're taping the Superbowl. I like the ads, and my wife likes halftime.
> I used to be a Niner fan but lost interest when the NFL went #woke.
> I was a big supporter of Kaepernick, since he was the quarterback for my
> college alma mater. He became the Niner's quarterback. Life was good.
> Then...

Then... Free speech happened. Why do you hate the First Amendment?

--
Cindy Hamilton

Mike Duffy

Feb 11, 2024, 5:52:13 PMFeb 11
On 2024-02-11, Bruce wrote:

> Who won?

They did not start yet.

Your ignorance is stupid.

Get back in three hours.

Graham

Feb 11, 2024, 5:58:53 PMFeb 11
No! The name? Lost in the mists of time:-)

jmcquown

Feb 11, 2024, 6:04:42 PMFeb 11
Well you know how people like to bandy about names like shepherd's pie
vs. cottage pie. I just figured I'd throw this one into the mix. :)

Jill

Graham

Feb 11, 2024, 11:36:29 PMFeb 11
You forgot barbecue:-)

Bruce

Feb 11, 2024, 11:55:17 PMFeb 11
Didn't y'all just decide that barbecue is anything you put barbecue
sauce over?

dsi1

Feb 12, 2024, 2:00:23 AMFeb 12

Bruce

Feb 12, 2024, 2:24:42 AMFeb 12
I believe you. It's almost all been eaten already!

>https://photos.app.goo.gl/pUtseGECRAThYVrX8

He reminds me of someone.

Laguna Material

Feb 12, 2024, 5:40:01 PMFeb 12
On Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 4:09:44 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> On 2024-02-11, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> `
> > Forget about the nice Sunday dinner for this week. Superbowl calls hand
> > held food. I am not allowed to do wings but my wife thought pulled pork
> > would be a better choice. I don't understand her rationale, but I will
> > live with it. I made up a dry rub yesterday, applied it to the pork but
> > and left it in the fridge overnight. I put it into the oven at noon and
> > will give it about 6 hours. I just made a batch of coleslaw and it will
> > sit and do its flavour melding thing for a few hours.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't think I can view it on a station that will run
> > the good American ads. It's always been a strange concept to me to plan
> > to watch the ads as a form of entertainment. I give the advertisers
> > credit for making their new ads a highlight. I still remember seeing
> > the cat herding ad on the Superbowl show a few years ago. Unlike Jill, I
> > was so entertained by the cats that I didn't absorb the fact it was
> > advertising EDS, but I do remember that was H Ross Perot's company.
> We're taping the Superbowl. I like the ads, and my wife likes halftime.

I had the Big Game on dvr background mode and checked occasionally for a score then rewinded for the good scenes.
While watching Rockford files recording and Detroit/Philly parking enforcement show. Lots of booting and impounds in Da Hood.
Also needed to crank the oven to 400f to bake chicken boneless thighs, not 350f on the bag.

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 12, 2024, 5:47:55 PMFeb 12
On 2024-02-11, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Then... Free speech happened. Why do you hate the First Amendment?

Your party is the one who screams "MAGA!" all the time, so you tell me.
Free speech for thee but not for me. You just demonstrated equal
intolerance. Ain't that free speech?

jmcquown

Feb 12, 2024, 5:58:52 PMFeb 12
Okay, is it food cooked on a grill which is also called a BBQ or
slathered in sauce and called BBQ? ;)

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 12, 2024, 5:59:49 PMFeb 12
You've just snipped everything that made this discussion meaningful.
I'm done here.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Feb 12, 2024, 6:00:04 PMFeb 12
What does the First Amendment have to do with it? It is the NFL, not
the government. It was not a government law that the guy broke. He
chose to make a political statement during the sinking of the national
anthem had a game whose fans tend to be patriotic. Football is big
money and no one in the business should be doing anything to offend the
people who spend outrageous amounts of money to attend and whose
sponsors pay big bucks to advertise with.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 12, 2024, 6:00:44 PMFeb 12
On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 4:58:52 PM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:

> Okay, is it food cooked on a grill which is also called a BBQ or
> slathered in sauce and called BBQ? ;)
>
> Jill

It's both.

Bruce

Feb 12, 2024, 6:04:15 PMFeb 12
Leo always snips too much.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 4:42:00 AMFeb 13
On 2024-02-12, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2024-02-11 5:47 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2024-02-11, Leonard Blaisdell <leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>> We're taping the Superbowl. I like the ads, and my wife likes halftime.
>>> I used to be a Niner fan but lost interest when the NFL went #woke.
>>> I was a big supporter of Kaepernick, since he was the quarterback for my
>>> college alma mater. He became the Niner's quarterback. Life was good.
>>> Then...
>>
>> Then... Free speech happened. Why do you hate the First Amendment?
>>

> What does the First Amendment have to do with it?

Political speech is a protected right.

> It is the NFL, not
> the government. It was not a government law that the guy broke. He
> chose to make a political statement during the sinking of the national
> anthem had a game whose fans tend to be patriotic. Football is big
> money and no one in the business should be doing anything to offend the
> people who spend outrageous amounts of money to attend and whose
> sponsors pay big bucks to advertise with.

What action did the NFL take? Kaepernick wasn't even benched.
Individual owners didn't sign him after that season. Everybody
exercised their freedom of speech and freedom of association.

If it weren't for a bunch of soreheads on the right (notably
then-President Trump), nobody would have noticed. It would
have amounted to a tempest in a teapot.

Shall we debate whether the national anthem needs to be played at
the start of sporting events? A lot of that performative patriotism
was instituted during the Red Scare. And, of course, the daily
recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools was started to
help turn immigrants' children into model citizens.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 8:51:49 AMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13 4:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-02-12, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Then... Free speech happened. Why do you hate the First Amendment?
>>>

>> What does the First Amendment have to do with it?
>
> Political speech is a protected right.

You are protected from government prosecution. Individuals can still
react. He pissed off the people who pay those outrageous ticket prices
and the sponsors. Look what happened to Bud Light when they had the
twit in a dress telling the world how much he/she likes their piss water
lite beer.They have lost 30% of their sales and that amounts to an
enormous loss for the company who actually paid for that marketing
disaster.

>> It is the NFL, not
>> the government. It was not a government law that the guy broke. He
>> chose to make a political statement during the sinking of the national
>> anthem had a game whose fans tend to be patriotic. Football is big
>> money and no one in the business should be doing anything to offend the
>> people who spend outrageous amounts of money to attend and whose
>> sponsors pay big bucks to advertise with.
>
> What action did the NFL take? Kaepernick wasn't even benched.
> Individual owners didn't sign him after that season. Everybody
> exercised their freedom of speech and freedom of association.
>
> If it weren't for a bunch of soreheads on the right (notably
> then-President Trump), nobody would have noticed. It would
> have amounted to a tempest in a teapot.

But, as you said, it was individual owners who refused to sign him.
The poor bastard used his star status to push a political issue and it
backfired on him.

> Shall we debate whether the national anthem needs to be played at
> the start of sporting events? A lot of that performative patriotism
> was instituted during the Red Scare. And, of course, the daily
> recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools was started to
> help turn immigrants' children into model citizens.

I would be dine with no anthem at sports events. Standing up and holding
your hat over your heart in a public setting is form of political
indoctrination. I support freedom of religion but not public prayer.

Ed P

Feb 13, 2024, 9:44:43 AMFeb 13
You don't have to participate. The idea is to show solidarity and
loyalty, no different that what teams often do on the field at the start
of a game.

You can remain seated and drink your Bud Lite.

Graham

Feb 13, 2024, 10:11:52 AMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13 6:51 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:

> I would be dine with no anthem at sports events. Standing up and holding
> your hat over your heart in a public setting is form of political
> indoctrination.  I support freedom of religion but not public prayer.

As long as freedom FROM religion is accepted.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 11:33:42 AMFeb 13
At American schools, does the day start with a patriotic song and a
praise the Lord, who loves America so much? Or is that only in the
bible belt?

BryanGSimmons

Feb 13, 2024, 11:47:09 AMFeb 13
The only beer called "Lite," is Miller Lite. Lite tastes a bit less bad
and is cheaper than Bud Light, and it is also way lower in carbs. The
only A-B products worth buying are Mich Ultra (if you can easily afford
it), Natural Light (if you can't afford Ultra), and Natural Ice (if you
are poor and looking to maximize alcohol per dollar). Bud Light is for
idiots and frat boys.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 11:57:54 AMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2024-02-13 4:41 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> What does the First Amendment have to do with it?
>>
>> Political speech is a protected right.
>
> You are protected from government prosecution. Individuals can still
> react. He pissed off the people who pay those outrageous ticket prices
> and the sponsors. Look what happened to Bud Light when they had the
> twit in a dress telling the world how much he/she likes their piss water
> lite beer.They have lost 30% of their sales and that amounts to an
> enormous loss for the company who actually paid for that marketing
> disaster.

Yep. I still get tired of people whining about football players
engaging in legal activities.

>>> It is the NFL, not
>>> the government. It was not a government law that the guy broke. He
>>> chose to make a political statement during the sinking of the national
>>> anthem had a game whose fans tend to be patriotic. Football is big
>>> money and no one in the business should be doing anything to offend the
>>> people who spend outrageous amounts of money to attend and whose
>>> sponsors pay big bucks to advertise with.
>>
>> What action did the NFL take? Kaepernick wasn't even benched.
>> Individual owners didn't sign him after that season. Everybody
>> exercised their freedom of speech and freedom of association.
>>
>> If it weren't for a bunch of soreheads on the right (notably
>> then-President Trump), nobody would have noticed. It would
>> have amounted to a tempest in a teapot.
>
> But, as you said, it was individual owners who refused to sign him.
> The poor bastard used his star status to push a political issue and it
> backfired on him.

He apparently was a mediocre player. If he'd been a superstar, the
owners might have felt the risk was worth the reward.

>> Shall we debate whether the national anthem needs to be played at
>> the start of sporting events? A lot of that performative patriotism
>> was instituted during the Red Scare. And, of course, the daily
>> recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools was started to
>> help turn immigrants' children into model citizens.
>
> I would be dine with no anthem at sports events. Standing up and holding
> your hat over your heart in a public setting is form of political
> indoctrination. I support freedom of religion but not public prayer.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 12:05:32 PMFeb 13
This is one issue where this non believer wished people would follow the
words of Jesus in Matthew 6 where he tells people to go to their rooms,
shut the door and pray in private.

S Viemeister

Feb 13, 2024, 12:39:05 PMFeb 13
The _public_ high school I attended in New Jersey, started the day with
the Pledge of Allegiance (with hand on heart, facing the flag), a
patriotic song, a reading from the Book of Psalms, and a protestant
version of the Lord's Prayer.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 12:55:55 PMFeb 13
By the time I attended school, the Nine Old Men had rendered
school prayer unconstitutional. We did do the Pledge, though
the Jehovah's Witnesses were exempt. There may have been a
song, but I doubt it. It would have taken time away from the
education necessary to beat the Russkies.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 1:00:02 PMFeb 13
Do you know if they still do that?

bruce bowser

Feb 13, 2024, 1:06:48 PMFeb 13
On Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 5:09:32 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/11/2024 4:59 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> I made chicken thighs last night so will have one again tonight.
> >>
> >> I usually have dinner at 6 and watch the news. I'll do that tonight
> >> also, then at 7, I'll choose one of the shows on the DVR to watch.
> >>
> >> I often watch 60 Minutes on Sunday night but seems it is not on today
> >> because of some sports event.
> >
> > The Puppy Bowl! I'm streaming it right now.
>
> I've been watching the Puppy Bowl! Too cute. Oh, and old reruns of
> 'Columbo' (Peter Falk) on another channel.

Yep, those 70s police shows are addictive.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 1:17:48 PMFeb 13
They were fun. In the 70s.

Graham

Feb 13, 2024, 2:41:49 PMFeb 13
One can believe what the hell one likes but there must be
restrictions on putting those beliefs into action.
Therefore, "Religious Freedom" must have some limitations.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 2:45:30 PMFeb 13
On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 8:06:48 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> Yep, those 70s police shows are addictive.

I used to watch a few episodes of Hawaii Five-O because it was interesting to see Hawaii as it was in the 60's and see things that no longer exist. We can also see things that are pretty much the same. I used to have a 68 Mercury Parklane Brougham. Curiously, at the time that I owned it, I had no clue that it was a car used in the show. The old Hawaiian movies and TV programs shot back in the old days were kind of corny but interesting from an archaeological perspective. I also used to like to watch old programs shot in San Francisco. I assume that native San Franciscans also view those old shows about their town view them in the same light.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 2:59:42 PMFeb 13
"My religion tells me to be against euthanasia."

Ok, your choice. You'll never receive euthanasia.

"And therefore YOU can't have euthanasia either."

And that's where it goes wrong.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 3:19:32 PMFeb 13

S Viemeister

Feb 13, 2024, 3:49:03 PMFeb 13
I don't know if my old school does - I doubt it, though.

I know that the primary school my kids attended does the Pledge of
Allegiance, with the added 'under God', which I assume helps make up for
the lack of bible reading...

cshenk

Feb 13, 2024, 4:01:01 PMFeb 13
It's defined regionally in the USA as you'ce seen. The best answer is
'both of those get called BBQ'. It's irrelevant that some try to force
a method or a seasoning type.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 4:03:54 PMFeb 13
In my club, we'll say the pledge of allegiance before the start of a meeting. We'll also pledge allegiance to our club. Most times we'll also say a prayer. When I was the club president, I liked to dispense with all that but it's really at the desecration of the club/president.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2024, 4:05:03 PMFeb 13
On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 2:49:03 PM UTC-6, S Viemeister wrote:

> >> The _public_ high school I attended in New Jersey, started the day with
> >> the Pledge of Allegiance (with hand on heart, facing the flag), a
> >> patriotic song, a reading from the Book of Psalms, and a protestant
> >> version of the Lord's Prayer.

In elementary school we always started the day with the Pledge of Allegiance
and yes, facing the flag with hand over heart. I don't remember any patriotic
song or prayer, but occasionally a reading from the Bible.

> > Do you know if they still do that?
> >
> I don't know if my old school does - I doubt it, though.

I doubt it as well.

> I know that the primary school my kids attended does the Pledge of
> Allegiance, with the added 'under God', which I assume helps make up for
> the lack of bible reading...

The 'under God' was added, if I'm not mistaken, by Eisenhower.

songbird

Feb 13, 2024, 4:20:32 PMFeb 13
Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 17:38:58 +0000, S Viemeister
>>The _public_ high school I attended in New Jersey, started the day with
>>the Pledge of Allegiance (with hand on heart, facing the flag), a
>>patriotic song, a reading from the Book of Psalms, and a protestant
>>version of the Lord's Prayer.
>
> Do you know if they still do that?

3rd grade was the last time i remember doing PoA. never
had song or bible reading and no loads prayah either.

songbird

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 4:32:14 PMFeb 13
Assuming it's a public school, like yours was, it's very strange to me
that they force religion on children like that.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 4:33:16 PMFeb 13
Patriotism is frowned upon or laughed at in the Netherlands.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 4:33:58 PMFeb 13
What if children don't believe in God? It's not very inclusive.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 4:35:28 PMFeb 13
I met them when I was 13 or so. They were friendly people.

S Viemeister

Feb 13, 2024, 4:43:52 PMFeb 13
On 13/02/2024 21:32, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 20:48:56 +0000, S Viemeister
That's what I thought!
All students were required to take turns reading the psalms to the class
- I made a point of finding the shortest one I could.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 4:48:53 PMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
"Under God" was added in the 1950s to combat the Red Menace.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 4:49:16 PMFeb 13
Desecration. Good one. ;)

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 13, 2024, 4:52:33 PMFeb 13
When it was added in the 1950s, every child was assumed to be
receiving a proper religious upbringing. They weren't far wrong.
Even I was dragged to Sunday School by my godmother, even though
nobody in my family attended church.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 4:58:36 PMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13 4:00 p.m., cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Okay, is it food cooked on a grill which is also called a BBQ or
>> slathered in sauce and called BBQ? ;)
>>
>> Jill
>
> It's defined regionally in the USA as you'ce seen. The best answer is
> 'both of those get called BBQ'. It's irrelevant that some try to force
> a method or a seasoning type.

My brother's son in law is from North Carolina. He was surprised when my
brother and SiL told him they were BBQing dinner and it was steaks. He
explained that BBQ is a specific dish and done a specific way.

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 5:03:15 PMFeb 13
Yeah. And look at how that turned out. You ended up with the orange menace.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 13, 2024, 5:14:56 PMFeb 13
A barbecue can be defined both ways. Either as a method of cooking or as
a function aka get together. But people do tend to think of barbecue as meats
that have been cooked low and slow.

S Viemeister

Feb 13, 2024, 5:31:12 PMFeb 13
Ah, yes - the godless commies.

Ed P

Feb 13, 2024, 5:38:22 PMFeb 13
The government should step it to see that Youth in Asia are properly
cared for.

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 5:54:29 PMFeb 13
Some people down there might think of BBQ as meats cooks low and slow.
Up this way BBQ is generally something cooked hot and fast over direct heat.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 6:01:35 PMFeb 13
That's a rather interesting, unusual, attitude.

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 6:10:59 PMFeb 13
Medically assisted death is another thing we have here now. I know a few
people who have opted for it to avoid a slow and extremely painful death.

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 6:11:56 PMFeb 13

Dave Smith

Feb 13, 2024, 6:15:19 PMFeb 13
On 2024-02-13 6:01 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 11:33:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:03:50 -0800 (PST), dsi1
>>> In my club, we'll say the pledge of allegiance before the start
>>> of a meeting. We'll also pledge allegiance to our club. Most
>>> times we'll also say a prayer. When I was the club president, I
>>> liked to dispense with all that but it's really at the
>>> desecration of the club/president.
>> Patriotism is frowned upon or laughed at in the Netherlands.
>
> That's a rather interesting, unusual, attitude.

Up here loyalty to the country is generally a positive trait. Going
overboard with it in public events is a different matter and seen as a
negative. We tend to snicker at the things we see from places like North
Korea, China and the US.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 6:16:43 PMFeb 13

Graham

Feb 13, 2024, 6:25:27 PMFeb 13
The latter is what most of the rest of the world would view as BBQ.

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 6:56:57 PMFeb 13
There's a lot of snickering going all around the place. The Westerners are one snickering people.
Meanwhile, in the US, the kids and the adults are out of control!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgZaMs9YJRg

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 7:40:58 PMFeb 13
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 15:01:30 -0800 (PST), dsi1
It's seen as very childish.

Ed P

Feb 13, 2024, 7:43:40 PMFeb 13
It works. No commie attacks since. The hiding under the desks in case
of nuclear attack helps too.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 7:43:47 PMFeb 13
Lol, that would have been my approach too.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 7:48:40 PMFeb 13
Wut?

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 13, 2024, 8:17:51 PMFeb 13
On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:32:02 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I don't think it will matter too much longer. Where I live it used to
be smothered in religion, churches packed on Sunday, no Sunday
shopping, etc etc etc. Now? Congregations are shrinking visibly,
churches are selling two and absorbing what's left of those
congregations into the one. Even funerals, or 'celebrations of life'
are rarely held in churches but rather in funeral homes which have
added rooms for the purpose.

I am not sure about religion in schools, it seems to be more
controversial these days about whether schools allow kids to be the
sex they choose :)

dsi1

Feb 13, 2024, 8:22:38 PMFeb 13
On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 1:15:19 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
BBQ and patriotism just naturally go together. Unfortunately, in this case, it's N. Korean patriotism. The woman in the video says that she was taught that the American bastards use farming tools to shovel food down their gullets. I never thought of it like that! OTOH, divisive patriotism is not a good thing. OTOH, most patriotism is divisive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90&t=142s

lucr...@florence.it

Feb 13, 2024, 8:25:30 PMFeb 13
It's reasonable here, the woman in the condo opposite me had it
because she just couldn't face anymore dialysis treatments however
MAiD still has the clause 'if death is imminent' as a qualifier, I
feel that should be removed.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 8:33:34 PMFeb 13
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 21:17:34 -0400, lucr...@florence.it wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 08:32:02 +1100, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>Assuming it's a public school, like yours was, it's very strange to me
>>that they force religion on children like that.
>
>I don't think it will matter too much longer. Where I live it used to
>be smothered in religion, churches packed on Sunday, no Sunday
>shopping, etc etc etc. Now? Congregations are shrinking visibly,
>churches are selling two and absorbing what's left of those
>congregations into the one. Even funerals, or 'celebrations of life'
>are rarely held in churches but rather in funeral homes which have
>added rooms for the purpose.
>
>I am not sure about religion in schools, it seems to be more
>controversial these days about whether schools allow kids to be the
>sex they choose :)

Organised religion has been on the decline in many western countries.
Maybe the US is dragging behind.

BryanGSimmons

Feb 13, 2024, 8:44:33 PMFeb 13

On 2/12/2024 4:39 PM, Laguna Material wrote:
> On Sunday, February 11, 2024 at 4:09:44 PM UTC-6, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> On 2024-02-11, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> `
>>> Forget about the nice Sunday dinner for this week. Superbowl calls hand
>>> held food. I am not allowed to do wings but my wife thought pulled pork
>>> would be a better choice. I don't understand her rationale, but I will
>>> live with it. I made up a dry rub yesterday, applied it to the pork but
>>> and left it in the fridge overnight. I put it into the oven at noon and
>>> will give it about 6 hours. I just made a batch of coleslaw and it will
>>> sit and do its flavour melding thing for a few hours.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I don't think I can view it on a station that will run
>>> the good American ads. It's always been a strange concept to me to plan
>>> to watch the ads as a form of entertainment. I give the advertisers
>>> credit for making their new ads a highlight. I still remember seeing
>>> the cat herding ad on the Superbowl show a few years ago. Unlike Jill, I
>>> was so entertained by the cats that I didn't absorb the fact it was
>>> advertising EDS, but I do remember that was H Ross Perot's company.
>> We're taping the Superbowl. I like the ads, and my wife likes halftime.
>
> I had the Big Game on dvr background mode and checked occasionally for a score then rewinded for the good scenes.
> While watching Rockford files recording and Detroit/Philly parking enforcement show. Lots of booting and impounds in Da Hood.

Bait car is one thing. I used to watch that sometimes in the break room
at Target, but parking enforcement? I had to deal with the cops over
the past week. My son's old housemate was breaking into the Ferguson
house to sleep there. I'd warned him that I was going to call the cops,
and he'd said, "I don't care." Well, yesterday morning at about 6 AM he
was awakened by a police dog, and put into the back of a squad car in
handcuffs. He had also broken into another friend's parents' house and
stolen a bicycle the night before, so he's facing 1st degree burglary
and theft for that, and trespassing and destruction of property for
breaking into our property. The cops also found drug paraphernalia in
his stuff, so there's that too. The 1st degree burglary is a felony.
Fucking sociopath junkie. I hope that they put him in prison for a few
years.

--
--Bryan
For your safety and protection, this sig. has been thoroughly
tested on laboratory animals.

"Most of the food described here is nauseating.
We're just too courteous to say so."
-- Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Feb 13, 2024, 8:54:21 PMFeb 13
Usually where education is respected.

Bruce

Feb 13, 2024, 8:57:39 PMFeb 13
Yes, things keeps coming back to education.

GM

Feb 14, 2024, 12:13:46 AMFeb 14
"Just desserts" would be to sentence the puke to live with John at The Roach & Cum Rag Inn, lol...

--
GM

BryanGSimmons

Feb 14, 2024, 1:02:10 AMFeb 14
Greg, it's called the *Cumrag & Roach*, but if LaToya fails to either
come up with rent or start opening her legs for Mr. Kuthe's delights,
then he will be needing another tenant.

Janet

Feb 14, 2024, 7:03:40 AMFeb 14
In article <uqgnaq$2902u$4...@dont-email.me>,
Br...@invalid.invalid says...
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/02/11/former-dutch-prime-minister-and-wife-euthanised-together/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/10/duo-
euthanasia-former-dutch-prime-minister-dies-wife-dries-
eugenie-van-agt

" Euthanasia and assisted suicide have been legal in the
Netherlands since 2002 for six conditions, including
unbearable suffering, no prospect of relief and a long-
held, independent wish for death.

A second specialist must confirm the wish, and most cases
are carried out by the family doctor at home."

How very civilised.

Janet UK

Janet

Feb 14, 2024, 7:10:10 AMFeb 14
In article <uqh597$2b6qn$1...@dont-email.me>,
Br...@invalid.invalid says...
Probably so that any POTUS can claim to have God on
their side.

Janet UK.

bruce bowser

Feb 14, 2024, 10:45:30 AMFeb 14
On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 4:52:33 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2024-02-13, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:04:59 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> ><itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

> >>In elementary school we always started the day with the Pledge of Allegiance
> >>and yes, facing the flag with hand over heart. I don't remember any patriotic
> >>song or prayer, but occasionally a reading from the Bible.

> >>I doubt it as well.

> >>The 'under God' was added, if I'm not mistaken, by Eisenhower.
> >
> > What if children don't believe in God? It's not very inclusive.
>
> When it was added in the 1950s, every child was assumed to be
> receiving a proper religious upbringing. They weren't far wrong.

No, Cindy. Protestant and some Catholic money donated to congressional campaigns (having this result) cared only about traditional Christian dominance. They could have cared less how kids from other communities were raised as long as it was kept outside of the traditional Christian community.

> Even I was dragged to Sunday School by my godmother, even though
> nobody in my family attended church.
>
> --
> Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Feb 14, 2024, 1:34:55 PMFeb 14
It's strange that the American conservative Christians can't see that
Trump is the least religious man on the planet. He's the Antichrist.

dsi1

Feb 14, 2024, 2:03:33 PMFeb 14
Screw that shit. In the post-Jesus America, pop stars are the ones who will lead us into the promised land.

https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_021424/

Mike Duffy

Feb 14, 2024, 2:34:21 PMFeb 14
On 2024-02-12, Bruce wrote:

> Leo always snips too much.

And Bruce always snipes too much.

Mike Duffy

Feb 14, 2024, 2:42:49 PMFeb 14
On 2024-02-13, Dave Smith wrote:

> Up here loyalty to the country is generally a positive trait. Going
> overboard with it in public events is a different matter and seen as a
> negative. We tend to snicker at the things we see from places like North
> Korea, China and the US.

Come to Quebec for June 24th.

Cindy Hamilton

Feb 14, 2024, 2:43:03 PMFeb 14
Even though he's [all that stuff], he's God's chosen instrument.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Ed P

Feb 14, 2024, 2:44:36 PMFeb 14
No, no, no. He is a deeply religious man. There is even a photo of him
holding a bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_photo_op_at_St._John%27s_Church

Hank Rogers

Feb 14, 2024, 2:57:35 PMFeb 14
Then it would seem god is getting ready to do another mass
murder, maybe bigger than his big flood killing.

Hank Rogers

Feb 14, 2024, 2:59:46 PMFeb 14
Yes, Snipe and Sniff.

bruce bowser

Feb 14, 2024, 3:01:38 PMFeb 14
Careful !! You might stress QUÉBEC's Champlain St Bernard border crossing north of Plattsburgh, NY. Snowflakes around there might get upset.

dsi1

Feb 14, 2024, 3:07:51 PMFeb 14
On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 1:15:19 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2024-02-13 6:01 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 13, 2024 at 11:33:16 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 13:03:50 -0800 (PST), dsi1
> >> Patriotism is frowned upon or laughed at in the Netherlands.
> >
> > That's a rather interesting, unusual, attitude.
> Up here loyalty to the country is generally a positive trait. Going
> overboard with it in public events is a different matter and seen as a
> negative. We tend to snicker at the things we see from places like North
> Korea, China and the US.

There's a bill proposed to ban foreigners from buying property in Hawaii. Mostly this would affect the Canadians, not the Chinese or Koreans. Maybe they should close off all external sales of property in Hawaii. What we're seeing here is gentrification on a statewide level.

https://www.kitv.com/news/local/legislative-bills-aim-to-ban-foreigners-from-buying-property-in-hawaii/article_bb119fa8-c56c-11ee-bb48-6f1c1304fb5e.html
It is loading more messages.