100 Things Restaurant DINERS should always (never?) do

gloria.p

Nov 1, 2009, 2:08:24 PM11/1/09

Sorry if this is not a new idea, but I have been w/o newsgroup
access for three days and I come back to over 1200 messages.
Can't read them all but I have read many of the 100 restaurant
servers thread. I thought it might be interesting to see what
we as patrons of a restaurant expect of ourselves and others.

1. Be kind. Try to understand. Your server may have had some
horrible customers this shift, may have a headache, backache,
sick child, spouse, or parent. The aspect you don't like may be
a company policy.

2. If you need something or the server has done something wrong,
mention it without being sarcastic, hostile, or nasty. This is a
person, someone's child/spouse/parent, not a robot.

3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to
dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
another table. It's the LAW." It was kind of disgusting.

What're your suggestions?

gloria p

sf

Nov 1, 2009, 2:23:05 PM11/1/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:24 -0700, "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to
>dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
>because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
>another table. It's the LAW." It was kind of disgusting.

How juvenile. Hopefully you never dined out with that person again.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

gloria.p

Nov 1, 2009, 2:27:42 PM11/1/09
sf wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:24 -0700, "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to
>> dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
>> because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
>> another table. It's the LAW." It was kind of disgusting.
>
> How juvenile. Hopefully you never dined out with that person again.

No, we didn't. It really surprised me because the couple was
very well educated and each taught in very nice CT prep schools.
(He had a PhD. in Philosophy!) Both were very controlling
personalities, however and had lots of unspoken personal "rules"
for things. :-(

gloria p

cybercat

Nov 1, 2009, 2:41:26 PM11/1/09

"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Excellent post. I have stayed out of this thread, and actually have not read
many posts because I had a feeling it was not a good idea for me to get into
it, lol.

garden-variety dick

Nov 1, 2009, 3:01:06 PM11/1/09

A server needs to be 'on' irregardless of how he/she has been treated
by someone else. That's not the customer's concern. If you try and
sabotage the server/restaurant, then shame on you, you need to face
the fan.

Cheryl

Nov 1, 2009, 3:37:50 PM11/1/09

"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to dinner with
> someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls because "I want to make
> sure they don't serve them again to another table. It's the LAW." It was
> kind of disgusting.

It's amazing the kinds of messes people can make with food! Back in my
waitress experience, and this will give you an idea of when that was, a very
popular rock band, Nazareth, was passing through town after a concert. They
did some really strange things with food they hadn't eaten and the
condiments on the table, and cigarettes. Restaurants had smoking sections
back then. What a mess.

jmcquown

Nov 1, 2009, 6:12:44 PM11/1/09
"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to dinner with
> someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls because "I want to make
> sure they don't serve them again to another table. It's the LAW." It was
> kind of disgusting.
>
> What're your suggestions?
>
> gloria p

What he did sounds terribly disgusting, Gloria. The restaurants I worked in
weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
potatoes to soup kitchens. Sounds like your dinner friend had some serious
mental problems if he was so worried about what was going to be done with
the leftover bread. I'm so sorry.

Jill

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 6:37:30 PM11/1/09
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in news:7l6j0dF3b5tkmU1
@mid.individual.net:

> The restaurants I worked in
> weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
> potatoes to soup kitchens.

Evasive BULLSHIT!!! You instead turned them back on the other customers in
the restaurants you worked in.

Like you never committed a restaurant injustice? Fuck you little miss polly
purebread!

Andy

Pete C.

Nov 1, 2009, 6:55:43 PM11/1/09

"gloria.p" wrote:

> Sorry if this is not a new idea, but I have been w/o newsgroup
> access for three days and I come back to over 1200 messages.
> Can't read them all but I have read many of the 100 restaurant
> servers thread. I thought it might be interesting to see what
> we as patrons of a restaurant expect of ourselves and others.
>
> 1. Be kind. Try to understand. Your server may have had some
> horrible customers this shift, may have a headache, backache,
> sick child, spouse, or parent. The aspect you don't like may be
> a company policy.

Correction: Be polite, but firm. What personal issues the waitstaff may
or may not have are irrelevant to the job they are there to perform and
they need to leave their problems outside of the business environment.
The aspect I'm not happy with may indeed be company policy, and as my
interface with the company, it is the waitstaff's duty to report to
management that another customer complained about the policy. They also
have the option of sending the manager over to discuss the issue with me
directly if they want to avoid being the messenger.

> 2. If you need something or the server has done something wrong,
> mention it without being sarcastic, hostile, or nasty. This is a
> person, someone's child/spouse/parent, not a robot.

Absolutely, always be polite. Remember however that it is the
waitstaff's job to service your needs as the customer, and they are not
doing you some great favor refilling your empty drink, or bringing you
the silverware they forgot 15 minutes ago.

> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to
> dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
> because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
> another table. It's the LAW." It was kind of disgusting.

I can't possibly comprehend this one, and if I were the manager of the
restaurant and witnessed this type of behavior I would ask the offenders
to leave my restaurant and not to return until they learned to behave in
a civilized manner and not disgust my other customers.

Pete C.

Nov 1, 2009, 6:57:03 PM11/1/09

They sound like classic PYVs. One of the reasons I left CT, along with
the lousy weather and unstable economy.

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 7:07:22 PM11/1/09
In my experience for the best dining experience?

Wait your turn.

Andy

Dan Abel

Nov 1, 2009, 7:22:18 PM11/1/09
In article <7l6j0dF...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to dinner with
> > someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls because "I want to make
> > sure they don't serve them again to another table. It's the LAW." It was
> > kind of disgusting.

> What he did sounds terribly disgusting, Gloria. The restaurants I worked in

> weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
> potatoes to soup kitchens. Sounds like your dinner friend had some serious
> mental problems if he was so worried about what was going to be done with
> the leftover bread. I'm so sorry.

What is wrong with offering untouched food to the next unsuspecting
diner? (serious question)

What then, makes it OK to offer the same food to soup kitchens?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Cheryl

Nov 1, 2009, 7:52:38 PM11/1/09

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9CB6BD7...@216.196.97.131...

Oh my.

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 8:08:48 PM11/1/09
"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in

Yeah, shame on me!

Andy

cyberpurrs

Nov 1, 2009, 8:34:03 PM11/1/09

"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Andy has clearly lost what little mind he had.

cyberpurrs

Nov 1, 2009, 8:35:09 PM11/1/09

"Dan Abel" <da...@sonic.net> wrote in message
hahaha! Excellent question.

brooklyn1

Nov 1, 2009, 8:55:48 PM11/1/09
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:52:38 -0500, "Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Um, wouldn't that be Polly Purebred?

maxine in ri

Nov 1, 2009, 9:11:56 PM11/1/09
On Nov 1, 7:22 pm, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
> In article <7l6j0dF3b5tk...@mid.individual.net>,
>
>  "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > "gloria.p" <gpues...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> > > 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN.  We once went to dinner with
> > > someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls because "I want to make
> > > sure they don't serve them again to another table. It's the LAW."  It was
> > > kind of disgusting.
> > What he did sounds terribly disgusting, Gloria.  The restaurants I worked in
> > weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
> > potatoes to soup kitchens.  Sounds like your dinner friend had some serious
> > mental problems if he was so worried about what was going to be done with
> > the leftover bread.  I'm so sorry.
>
> What is wrong with offering untouched food to the next unsuspecting
> diner?  (serious question)

Once it's been brought out to the table, you don't know what's
happened to it. Someone could have sneezed on it, picked it up with
dirty hands (how often do people wash their hands before eating at a
restaurant?), or otherwise passed some type of virus onto the food.
With the butter and margarine containers, if they keep going out and
coming back, untouched, they could spoil. And those are just for
starters.

> What then, makes it OK to offer the same food to soup kitchens?

The OP said that it is _not_ ok for the restaurant to offer those to
the soup kitchen. Has to be stuff that hasn't left the kitchen, where
it presumably is still wholesome for someone to eat.

maxine in ri

cyberpurrs

Nov 1, 2009, 9:45:34 PM11/1/09

"Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9CB6CCF...@216.196.97.131...

Um, that is not exactly what Cheryl meant by "oh my."

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 9:46:58 PM11/1/09
brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote in

Sheldon,

HA! I have a world series in motion to worry about!

You and your Yankees!!!

Andy

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 9:54:40 PM11/1/09
"cyberpurrs" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote in

OK you pussy, what exactly did she mean?

Andy

Nov 1, 2009, 10:00:46 PM11/1/09
Andy <a@b.c> wrote in news:Xns9CB6DEE...@216.196.97.131:

You're just a scamp in sqwertz clothing!

FUCK YOU!!!

poop on toast

Nov 1, 2009, 10:10:41 PM11/1/09
On Nov 1, 1:08 pm, "gloria.p" <gpues...@comcast.net> wrote:

> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN.  We once went to
> dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
> because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
> another table. It's the LAW."  It was kind of disgusting.

"Kind of " disgusting? How about ABSOLUTELY disgusting.

brooklyn1

Nov 1, 2009, 10:20:00 PM11/1/09

Don't blame me... I haven't watched a baseball game since the Bums
left Brooklyn. And just to prove I don't know everything, I never
watch any ball games, I know nothing about team sports... why any
normal person would pay good money to watch infants in adult bodies
running about hither and yon on a grassy field chasing a friggin' ball
is way beyond my comprehension... none of those muscle bound steroid
slurping retards can out perform a forty pound mutt with a frisbee.

Dale P

Nov 2, 2009, 12:49:10 AM11/2/09
"gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message

My suggestion for DON'T do is definitely do not swipe the condiments and
other food stuffs at the table. I have been with friends who pocket the
sugar, sweetener, etc., but the worst was when a couple pocketed bottled
steak sauce and catsup. One lady we were dining with stole the table candle
holder because she thought it was cute. One couple wanted to steal the menu
and have us all sign it for their anniversary dinner. They were hiding the
menu under the table and being all stupid about it. The server than caught
on and offered the menu as a memento of the evening. These were not
especially fancy, costly menus. I was very embarrassed. Oddly, this super
sweet couple who wanted to commemorate their anniversary have long since
broken up. Yesterday was our 32 anniversary. We had a very nice dinner
downtown. Gloria, have you tried the new chain in town, Brio? We went to
the Brio Cherry Creek (old Macaroni Grill building) for brunch today. Very
nice and good food for a good price. We do not prefer chain stores, but
they do serve a need.

Later,

Dale P

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2009, 2:36:12 AM11/2/09
"maxine in ri" <wee...@gmail.com> wrote in message

maxine in ri

Thank you, Maxine! Even food that never left the kitchen wasn't allowed
(due to health dept. regulations) ) to be offered to soup kitchens. I used
to cringe at the number of baked potatoes that were tossed out at the end of
a night because they weren't allowed to donate it. I'm sure soup kitchens
could have made a lot of 'baked potato soup' (which is delicious, BTW) and
could have fed a lot of people.

Jill

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 2, 2009, 2:40:49 AM11/2/09
On Nov 1, 4:22 pm, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

> What is wrong with offering untouched food to the next unsuspecting
> diner?  (serious question)

If it was at the table with the customers, the employees have no idea
if it was touched or what germs may be on it.

> What then, makes it OK to offer the same food to soup kitchens?

I do not see how it would be okay. Can't answer that one.

In the grocery business, a frozen or refrigerated item that is found
somewhere else is not allowed to be sold. It must be distressed. We
mark an X on it with a sharpie marker, and each day, somebody goes
through and scans them for a distress report.

In the deli, any item that does not come in sealed must be thrown away
if it left our sight. For example, if a person orders some sliced meat
or some fried chicken. If they change their mind right at the counter,
we can put it back in the case. If they walk away and then bring it
back, we must throw it away. We keep the label and toss the food.

Even if it appears unopened, we have no way if they opened it took a
bite. Or somebody could try to tamper with it. So, we just can't risk
it.

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2009, 2:42:13 AM11/2/09
"Cheryl" <jlhs...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Andy doesn't realize I've killfiled him for stupid comments like this, so
please allow me to piggyback on your post. I certainly never served anyone
rolls/bread that had been already set out on a table in a restaurant.
Pretty much everyone I worked with adhered to the health department rules,
too. If it wasn't eaten it was thrown out, even if it never made it out of
the kitchen by the end of the night. Not even baked potatoes, which were
baked by the dozens on trays. Andy is pitching a hissy fit again for no
reason.

Jill

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2009, 3:47:09 AM11/2/09
"Dale P" <da...@yahoot.com> wrote in message

> One couple wanted to steal the menu and have us all sign it for their
> anniversary dinner. They were hiding the menu under the table and being
> all stupid about it. The server than caught on and offered the menu as a
> memento of the evening. These were not especially fancy, costly menus.
>
> Dale P
I collect restaurant menus. It's fun :) Your friend doesn't have to steal
them or have the server "catch on". Just ask and say she collects them.
Most restaurants will give them away.

Jill

Andy

Nov 2, 2009, 4:01:52 AM11/2/09

> Andy doesn't realize I've killfiled him for stupid comments like this,
> so please allow me to piggyback on your post.

Make all the stupid comments you like. I don't mind.

What strikes me as strange is you're so friendly and natural to me in chat.
That's called two-faced.

I forget who used the piggyback post bail-out excuse. The lamest cowardly
form of not being able to stand on your own two feet.

I'm really sorry.

Andy

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 10:21:49 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:36:12 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Thank you, Maxine! Even food that never left the kitchen wasn't allowed
>(due to health dept. regulations) ) to be offered to soup kitchens. I used
>to cringe at the number of baked potatoes that were tossed out at the end of
>a night because they weren't allowed to donate it. I'm sure soup kitchens
>could have made a lot of 'baked potato soup' (which is delicious, BTW) and
>could have fed a lot of people.

Maybe it's different during this recession, but back when I was
donating real food to soup kitchens I found out they have no lack of
fresh vegetables (at least here). What they need is meat, which they
stretch a mile in soups and stews.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 10:24:51 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:42:13 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Andy is pitching a hissy fit again for no reason.

Andy has worked in the food industry, but he's pitching an idea that
people who have no experience there tend to have. Best lay that one
to rest.

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 10:34:19 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 03:01:52 -0600, Andy <a@b.c> wrote:

>What strikes me as strange is you're so friendly and natural to me in chat.
>That's called two-faced.

That's the way rfc chat is, Andy. Most people who come in to chat act
civilized. I don't call it two faced, I call it getting to know the
other side of that poster. More than once, I've had the experience of
being able to hold a normal conversation with a poster I can't stand
online... even when we're the only people in the room. I don't go
online afterward and call that person two faced, they stay in my kill
file.

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 10:35:12 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 03:47:09 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I collect restaurant menus. It's fun :) Your friend doesn't have to steal
>them or have the server "catch on". Just ask and say she collects them.
>Most restaurants will give them away.

They're especially glad to give away the menus that are printed daily.
:)

jmcquown

Nov 2, 2009, 10:50:05 AM11/2/09
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:42:13 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Andy is pitching a hissy fit again for no reason.
>
> Andy has worked in the food industry, but he's pitching an idea that
> people who have no experience there tend to have. Best lay that one
> to rest.

I have no idea what you're talking about, sf. He's saying I gave other
customers the rolls/muffins/bread from one table to people at another table.
He said I committed a "restaurant injustice" (whatever the hell that means).
I never did any such thing. Talk about two-faced. He pretends to be all
friendly in chat then makes wild accusations like this with no
justification. What a hypocrite!

OB Food: Lunch will be leftover crashed potatoes and a ribeye steak :)

Jill

Dan Abel

Nov 2, 2009, 11:00:19 AM11/2/09
In article <7l7gggF...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "maxine in ri" <wee...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 1, 7:22 pm, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
> > In article <7l6j0dF3b5tk...@mid.individual.net>,
> >
> > "jmcquown" <j_mcqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > > The restaurants I worked
> > > in
> > > weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
> > > potatoes to soup kitchens

> > What is wrong with offering untouched food to the next unsuspecting

> > diner? (serious question)
>
> Once it's been brought out to the table, you don't know what's
> happened to it. Someone could have sneezed on it, picked it up with
> dirty hands (how often do people wash their hands before eating at a
> restaurant?), or otherwise passed some type of virus onto the food.
> With the butter and margarine containers, if they keep going out and
> coming back, untouched, they could spoil. And those are just for
> starters.
>
> > What then, makes it OK to offer the same food to soup kitchens?
>
> The OP said that it is _not_ ok for the restaurant to offer those to
> the soup kitchen. Has to be stuff that hasn't left the kitchen, where
> it presumably is still wholesome for someone to eat.

> Thank you, Maxine! Even food that never left the kitchen wasn't allowed

> (due to health dept. regulations) ) to be offered to soup kitchens. I used
> to cringe at the number of baked potatoes that were tossed out at the end of
> a night because they weren't allowed to donate it. I'm sure soup kitchens
> could have made a lot of 'baked potato soup' (which is delicious, BTW) and
> could have fed a lot of people.

Sorry, Jill. I realized, after I read Maxine's post, that I had misread
what you posted. And I remembered you posting before that you had to
throw away perfectly good food that had never left the kitchen, which is
sure a shame.

Dan Abel

Nov 2, 2009, 11:04:57 AM11/2/09
In article <7l7grpF...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> > "Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> >> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in news:7l6j0dF3b5tkmU1
> >> @mid.individual.net:

[snipped all]

> Andy doesn't realize I've killfiled him for stupid comments like this

> Andy is pitching a hissy fit again for no
> reason.

He did it to get attention. Looks like he succeeded.

blake murphy

Nov 2, 2009, 11:50:04 AM11/2/09
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:23:05 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 12:08:24 -0700, "gloria.p" <gpue...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>>3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to
>>dinner with someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls
>>because "I want to make sure they don't serve them again to
>>another table. It's the LAW." It was kind of disgusting.
>

> How juvenile. Hopefully you never dined out with that person again.

i read gloria's comment and said 'another freak.'

your pal,
blake

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 11:52:05 AM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:50:05 -0500, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I have no idea what you're talking about, sf.

The idea of recycling food.

>He's saying I gave other
>customers the rolls/muffins/bread from one table to people at another table.
>He said I committed a "restaurant injustice" (whatever the hell that means).
>I never did any such thing. Talk about two-faced. He pretends to be all
>friendly in chat then makes wild accusations like this with no
>justification. What a hypocrite!

Cool down.

blake murphy

Nov 2, 2009, 11:55:03 AM11/2/09
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 19:52:38 -0500, Cheryl wrote:

> "Andy" <a@b.c> wrote in message news:Xns9CB6BD7...@216.196.97.131...
>> "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote in news:7l6j0dF3b5tkmU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> The restaurants I worked in
>>> weren't even allowed to offer the untouched rolls and bread or baked
>>> potatoes to soup kitchens.
>>

>> Evasive BULLSHIT!!! You instead turned them back on the other customers in
>> the restaurants you worked in.
>>
>> Like you never committed a restaurant injustice? Fuck you little miss
>> polly
>> purebread!
>
> Oh my.

and day two of andy's latest psycho wig-out is proceeding nicely.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Nov 2, 2009, 11:56:49 AM11/2/09

i guess cheryl was too polite to say 'christ, what an asshole.'

blake

gloria.p

Nov 2, 2009, 12:06:36 PM11/2/09
Dale P wrote:

> My suggestion for DON'T do is definitely do not swipe the condiments and
> other food stuffs at the table. I have been with friends who pocket the
> sugar, sweetener, etc., but the worst was when a couple pocketed bottled
> steak sauce and catsup.

Stealing anything from a restaurant is cheap, classless and
stupid, since if you ask the manager I suspect they'd give it to
you or in the case of the candle holder, sell it to you
reasonably. That's much better karma and doesn't make your table
mates cross you off their invitation list for dining out. (Maybe
dining in, too. If someone steals stuff from a restaurant, how
do you know they won't steal something they like from your home?)

> Gloria, have you
> tried the new chain in town, Brio? We went to the Brio Cherry Creek
> (old Macaroni Grill building) for brunch today. Very nice and good food
> for a good price. We do not prefer chain stores, but they do serve a need.

No, I haven't. I was supposed to go there for lunch last Monday
with a group of neighborhood women but it was the last day to
pack up my kitchen before the remodeling started and I still had
too much to do even though I had been packing for almost two
weeks. We'll have to try it soon. There's a Brio in the new
section of Park Meadows, too.

There is nothing wrong with a good chain restaurant (and nothing
worse than a bad one.) You'll notice in Denver that the good
upscale chains stick around a lot longer than the single local
places which draw a big crowd when they first open and then fall
off when the sheep decide "newest is better" and flock to the new
"in" spot. Some of them have been very good and I have no idea
what made them fail. (European Cafe is a good example.)

Have you tried The Perfect Landing at Centennial Airport? Mmmmm.
Haven't been there in quite a while, but for Mexican we liked La
Cueva on Colfax. For Thai, quite a few places on Federal are good.

gloria p

Nancy Young

Nov 2, 2009, 1:35:43 PM11/2/09
gloria.p wrote:

> No, I haven't. I was supposed to go there for lunch last Monday
> with a group of neighborhood women but it was the last day to
> pack up my kitchen before the remodeling started and I still had
> too much to do even though I had been packing for almost two
> weeks.

Just a thought: don't forget to take your baking sheets out of
the oven. I'm not the only one who did that. Heh.

nancy

gloria.p

Nov 2, 2009, 6:16:23 PM11/2/09

Are you thinking about the lower drawer of the stove? Our old
one didn't have one because it was a JennAir with a downdraft fan
mounted under the oven.

Actually all my baking sheets and cupcake pans lived in the
trash compacter. We installed a new one because the one we
"inherited" when we bought this house was nasty. We never, ever
used the new one so I started using it to store skillets and
eventually cookie sheets and cooking racks instead. It was very
handy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might salvage the oven racks to use
as cookie cooling racks. If you're making a big batch you can
never have too many. They would be convenient if I ever make
pasta from scratch, also.

gloria p

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 2, 2009, 6:30:51 PM11/2/09
On Mon 02 Nov 2009 04:16:23p, gloria.p told us...

Let's hope you don't ever accidentally push the start button on that
compactor. That could be a real disaster. :-)

Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young

Nov 2, 2009, 6:33:01 PM11/2/09
gloria.p wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> gloria.p wrote:
>>
>>> No, I haven't. I was supposed to go there for lunch last Monday
>>> with a group of neighborhood women but it was the last day to
>>> pack up my kitchen before the remodeling started and I still had
>>> too much to do even though I had been packing for almost two
>>> weeks.
>>
>> Just a thought: don't forget to take your baking sheets out of
>> the oven. I'm not the only one who did that. Heh.

> Are you thinking about the lower drawer of the stove? Our old

> one didn't have one because it was a JennAir with a downdraft fan
> mounted under the oven.

I lost mine when I left them in my inoperable wall oven. After
the remodel was complete, it took me a while before I figured
out Hey! where are my cookie sheets?? Uh, in the oven you
didn't clean out?

Same thing happened to someone else here.

> Actually all my baking sheets and cupcake pans lived in the
> trash compacter. We installed a new one because the one we
> "inherited" when we bought this house was nasty. We never, ever
> used the new one so I started using it to store skillets and
> eventually cookie sheets and cooking racks instead. It was very
> handy.

When my ex inlaws built a house back in the late 70s, they
included a trash compacter, and next to it a special cabinet
for things like cookie sheets. I forget what you'd call that.
A tray cabinet? Anyway, it was that shape only with vertical
slots instead of shelves. I thought that was really handy.

> Thanks for the suggestion. I might salvage the oven racks to use
> as cookie cooling racks. If you're making a big batch you can
> never have too many. They would be convenient if I ever make
> pasta from scratch, also.

Cool idea. Not like you can't get rid of them later if you change your
mind.

nancy

Goomba

Nov 2, 2009, 8:52:04 PM11/2/09

Yup, yup, yup. I can testify.
And they were gooooood baking sheets too, dammit.

Becca

Nov 2, 2009, 8:55:16 PM11/2/09
brooklyn1 wrote:

> Don't blame me... I haven't watched a baseball game since the Bums
> left Brooklyn. And just to prove I don't know everything, I never
> watch any ball games, I know nothing about team sports... why any
> normal person would pay good money to watch infants in adult bodies
> running about hither and yon on a grassy field chasing a friggin' ball
> is way beyond my comprehension... none of those muscle bound steroid
> slurping retards can out perform a forty pound mutt with a frisbee.

Sports are not my thing, either. BTW, you did not mention basketball,
which can only be played by genetic mutants who reach almost 7' in height.

Becca

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 2, 2009, 9:04:17 PM11/2/09
On Mon 02 Nov 2009 06:55:16p, Becca told us...

This is one time I totally agree with Sheldon. :-)

dsi1

Nov 2, 2009, 9:06:38 PM11/2/09
gloria.p wrote:

> Sorry if this is not a new idea, but I have been w/o newsgroup access
> for three days and I come back to over 1200 messages.
> Can't read them all but I have read many of the 100 restaurant servers
> thread. I thought it might be interesting to see what
> we as patrons of a restaurant expect of ourselves and others.
>

> 1. Be kind. Try to understand. Your server may have had some horrible
> customers this shift, may have a headache, backache, sick child, spouse,
> or parent. The aspect you don't like may be a company policy.
>
> 2. If you need something or the server has done something wrong,
> mention it without being sarcastic, hostile, or nasty. This is a
> person, someone's child/spouse/parent, not a robot.
>
> 3. Don't make a mess just because you CAN. We once went to dinner with
> someone who insisted on trashing the bread/rolls because "I want to make
> sure they don't serve them again to another table. It's the LAW." It
> was kind of disgusting.
>
> What're your suggestions?
>
> gloria p

As Dave Barry sez: �A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter,
is not a nice person.� :-)

gloria.p

Nov 2, 2009, 9:21:12 PM11/2/09

Thanks, but as part of our much needed kitchen remodel,
the compactor has been removed along with the rest of the
kitchen, and has been donated to a needy family with lots of
foster kids. We never used it and can put the space to much
better use.

The compactor didn't have a button, it had a knob and I removed
the knob to avoid turning it on accidentally. Someone said that
it makes a good substitute for a safe deposit box. Put your
valuables in the bottom, turn the knob so the ram goes halfway
down, turn it off and remove the knob. That makes it impossible
to open the "drawer" until you raise the ram again.

Do they even sell compactors these days?

gloria p

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 2, 2009, 9:25:16 PM11/2/09
On Mon 02 Nov 2009 07:21:12p, gloria.p told us...

That's a kind act, Gloria.

> The compactor didn't have a button, it had a knob and I removed
> the knob to avoid turning it on accidentally. Someone said that
> it makes a good substitute for a safe deposit box. Put your
> valuables in the bottom, turn the knob so the ram goes halfway
> down, turn it off and remove the knob. That makes it impossible
> to open the "drawer" until you raise the ram again.

Great idea!

> Do they even sell compactors these days?

Yes, they do. When we lived Ohio I had one in each of three different
houses and were a great help, as we only had refuse pickup once a week.

I don't need one here in AZ, as our refuse pickup is twice a week. I have
looked at them, however.

sf

Nov 2, 2009, 9:39:37 PM11/2/09
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:33:01 -0500, "Nancy Young"
<rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

>I forget what you'd call that.
>A tray cabinet? Anyway, it was that shape only with vertical
>slots instead of shelves. I thought that was really handy.

I have one and love it! Every kitchen should have one, no matter how
narrow. There is always a space between cabinets somewhere to put it.

Dave Smith

Nov 2, 2009, 10:25:41 PM11/2/09
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 02 Nov 2009 06:55:16p, Becca told us...
>
>> brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Don't blame me... I haven't watched a baseball game since the Bums
>>> left Brooklyn. And just to prove I don't know everything, I never
>>> watch any ball games, I know nothing about team sports... why any
>>> normal person would pay good money to watch infants in adult bodies
>>> running about hither and yon on a grassy field chasing a friggin' ball
>>> is way beyond my comprehension... none of those muscle bound steroid
>>> slurping retards can out perform a forty pound mutt with a frisbee.
>>>
>> Sports are not my thing, either. BTW, you did not mention basketball,
>> which can only be played by genetic mutants who reach almost 7' in
> height.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> This is one time I totally agree with Sheldon. :-)

I have never been terribly interested in watching sports. I have been to
one professional hockey game and one professional football game. Once a
year I go to see a couple of amateur hockey games because a cousin who
lives about 22 miles away plays in an old guy's league and is in town
for a tournament. We catch a game and go for a few beers.

I have never watched more than an inning or two of a baseball game. It's
about as exciting as watching paint dry. Golf is worse, even slower and
less interesting than soccer. My gawd, they even televise pool and
billiards. The only sporting event like I like to watch is equestrian
jumping.

I get a kick out of all those out of shape pot bellied twits who think
they are athletes because they wear baseball caps or hockey shirts and
watch other people play. And then there are the Canadian version of
soccer fans. Being a multi cultural country, we have our share of
various cultural groups who come out of the woodwork and sport the flags
of their homeland when the old country's soccer team is doing well in
the world cup, but as soon as their homeland team gets bumped out of the
series they go back to whatever, guaranteed not to be actually playing
soccer.

Dale P

Nov 3, 2009, 12:16:52 AM11/3/09
> Dale P wrote:
>

> Stealing anything from a restaurant is cheap, classless and stupid, since
> if you ask the manager I suspect they'd give it to you or in the case of
> the candle holder, sell it to you reasonably. That's much better karma and
> doesn't make your table mates cross you off their invitation list for
> dining out. (Maybe dining in, too. If someone steals stuff from a
> restaurant, how do you know they won't steal something they like from your
> home?)

Boy Howdy are your right on!! If the manager cannot spare the candle
holder, than go to the restaurant supply house and you can probably find
them cheap. Some people would steal the ashtrays in the olden days when
they had the restaurant name on them. It is still an overhead and a
headache for the restaurant to reorder them. I have a couple of place
settings of silverware (real silver) marked as "Brown Palace". I am fairly
sure that my mother bought them at a garage sale when she lived in Longmont
in her older years. I know that no one in my family was eating at the Brown
back then, as we were not that wealthy. I always say that I am going to
send them back to the hotel, but never actually bother to do it. I cringe
to think about who swiped them!!

Dale P

Kalmia

Nov 3, 2009, 10:32:05 AM11/3/09

Don't take a cell call when he or she is trying to take the order.

Don't yell "Hey, waitress" across the room.

George Leppla

Nov 3, 2009, 10:45:32 AM11/3/09
Kalmia wrote:

> Don't take a cell call when he or she is trying to take the order.
>
> Don't yell "Hey, waitress" across the room.

If there is a table cloth on the table, don't take a cell phone call at
any time. I don't mind if people talk on cell phones in McDonalds, but
not in a nice restaurant.

Same goes for hats/caps on men. If you want to wear your John Deere or
Dallas Cowboys cap at McDonalds, thats fine with me. But gentlemen do
not wear hats/caps in a nice restaurant.

And if your kid has a hissy fit in any restaurant, get them out of there
until they are calmed down. I know... YOUR children are perfect ANGELS
and even strangers stop you on the street to tell you how wonderful YOUR
children are. I'm not talking about YOUR children... I'm talking about
everyone else's children... you know... the ones who cry and scream and
whine and stand on their chair and throw their rolls at each other. And
the ones who climb down from their chairs and run around the restaurant
like maniacs let loose on a weekend pass from the asylum. THOSE kids...
not YOURS whom we all know are absolutely perfect.

George L

Dave Smith

Nov 3, 2009, 11:33:23 AM11/3/09
George Leppla wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> Don't take a cell call when he or she is trying to take the order.
>>
>> Don't yell "Hey, waitress" across the room.
>

> If there is a table cloth on the table, don't take a cell phone call at
> any time. I don't mind if people talk on cell phones in McDonalds, but
> not in a nice restaurant.
>
> Same goes for hats/caps on men. If you want to wear your John Deere or
> Dallas Cowboys cap at McDonalds, thats fine with me. But gentlemen do
> not wear hats/caps in a nice restaurant.

You shouldn't wear a hat or cap at a table when you are eating....
period. You can't expect much better at McDonalds.

> And if your kid has a hissy fit in any restaurant, get them out of there
> until they are calmed down. I know... YOUR children are perfect ANGELS
> and even strangers stop you on the street to tell you how wonderful YOUR
> children are. I'm not talking about YOUR children... I'm talking about
> everyone else's children... you know... the ones who cry and scream and
> whine and stand on their chair and throw their rolls at each other. And
> the ones who climb down from their chairs and run around the restaurant
> like maniacs let loose on a weekend pass from the asylum. THOSE kids...
> not YOURS whom we all know are absolutely perfect.

Like the kids whose name all the other diner learn because they are
addressed by name so many times and given warning after warning after
warning, but no consequences.

Kalmia

Nov 3, 2009, 12:54:14 PM11/3/09

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I might salvage the oven racks .... convenient if I ever make
> pasta from scratch, also.

Good suggestion!!

blake murphy

Nov 3, 2009, 3:07:55 PM11/3/09
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:30:51 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 02 Nov 2009 04:16:23p, gloria.p told us...
>>

>> Actually all my baking sheets and cupcake pans lived in the
>> trash compacter. We installed a new one because the one we
>> "inherited" when we bought this house was nasty. We never, ever
>> used the new one so I started using it to store skillets and
>> eventually cookie sheets and cooking racks instead. It was very
>> handy.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. I might salvage the oven racks to use
>> as cookie cooling racks. If you're making a big batch you can
>> never have too many. They would be convenient if I ever make
>> pasta from scratch, also.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> Let's hope you don't ever accidentally push the start button on that
> compactor. That could be a real disaster. :-)

if they're cast iron skillets, could be disaster for the compactor.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Nov 3, 2009, 3:14:15 PM11/3/09
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:33:23 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> George Leppla wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't take a cell call when he or she is trying to take the order.
>>>
>>> Don't yell "Hey, waitress" across the room.
>>
>> If there is a table cloth on the table, don't take a cell phone call at
>> any time. I don't mind if people talk on cell phones in McDonalds, but
>> not in a nice restaurant.
>>
>> Same goes for hats/caps on men. If you want to wear your John Deere or
>> Dallas Cowboys cap at McDonalds, thats fine with me. But gentlemen do
>> not wear hats/caps in a nice restaurant.
>
> You shouldn't wear a hat or cap at a table when you are eating....
> period. You can't expect much better at McDonalds.

seriously. i take off my hat in barrooms also.

but then, i'm not noticeably bald.

your pal,
blake

brooklyn1

Nov 3, 2009, 3:45:21 PM11/3/09
"Dale P" <da...@yahoot.com> wrote:

There's a big difference between taking the 20� ashtray and a handful
of book matches with the big "S" from the Sheraton and swiping your
host's $100 crystal nut bowl. But still, in the case of the ashtray
one should ask... usually you'll be given a brand new one.

Quite a few times I've had acquaintences as dinner guests, people most
of yoose would classify as "friends", and after everyone left I
discovered how my guest bath was cleaned out of aspirin, bandaids,
nail clippers, even nose hair scissors... someone even lifted my
toothbrush.

I'm very careful who I invite into my home, and really prefer to meet
for dinner at a restaurant. I still remember a fellow I worked with
inviting me to Thanksgiving dinner, his wife asked if I would cook so
I agreed, I arrived early that day and began preparing food for like
30 people. Wasn't long there was an occasion I needed to use the
terlit, I was pointed in the direction and when I turned on the light
there was the hostesses diamond engagement ring on the sink vanity...
these weren't po' folk, it was a rock. Immediately I called both over
to point out her ring. They thought nothing of it and choose to leave
it right there, telling me that none of their "friends" would think to
take anything, made me feel like I was insulting them for suggesting
such. I aked if it was real, indignantly they both said of course.
Right there I developed an illness and left while that ring was right
there before both their eyes. The very next day they phoned to let me
know that I was correct and they appologized, after everyone left they
had discovered the ring was gone. Took every bit of willpower I
possesed to keep from calling them imbeciles. I was very happy I left
when I did. I don't really like to accept invites to other people's
homes either, with acquaintances about I much prefer dining out. When
valuables disappear when guests are about it's to be expected, when
left out in the open those things are known as attractive nuisances...
otherwise honest people can lose their mind momentarily when small
valuables and especially cash is lying about untended. Even when
things are put away they can disappear when there's a house full of
guests. And with a house full of guests who does one blame, typically
the new kid on the block... I don't want to be in that position and so
I don't readily accept invites easily. I don't permit guests to
wander about my home freely, I never tell guests to make themselves to
home... to a lot of people making themselves to home means rifling
through your stuff and taking whatever strikes their fancy.

Gregory Morrow

Nov 3, 2009, 7:07:44 PM11/3/09
brooklyn1 wrote:

> Quite a few times I've had acquaintences as dinner guests, people most
> of yoose would classify as "friends", and after everyone left I
> discovered how my guest bath was cleaned out of aspirin, bandaids,
> nail clippers, even nose hair scissors... someone even lifted my
> toothbrush.

The cyberpussie did the *same* thing when she supped at my place, Sheldon...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

brooklyn1

Nov 3, 2009, 9:47:07 PM11/3/09

OMG... I hope you bought a new terlit seat... I'd have booked a suite
for me and my cats at Harrah's Tahoe for a week while my abode was
fumigated by the Orkin man.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Nov 3, 2009, 10:52:30 PM11/3/09
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:45:32 -0600, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>Same goes for hats/caps on men. If you want to wear your John Deere or
>Dallas Cowboys cap at McDonalds, thats fine with me. But gentlemen do
>not wear hats/caps in a nice restaurant.

I was in Dallas a while back at a very nice restaurant with old
friends and was astonished at the sheer number of men with cowboy hats
firmly jammed on their heads.

>And if your kid has a hissy fit in any restaurant, get them out of there
>until they are calmed down. I know... YOUR children are perfect ANGELS
>and even strangers stop you on the street to tell you how wonderful YOUR
>children are. I'm not talking about YOUR children... I'm talking about
>everyone else's children... you know... the ones who cry and scream and
>whine and stand on their chair and throw their rolls at each other. And
>the ones who climb down from their chairs and run around the restaurant
>like maniacs let loose on a weekend pass from the asylum. THOSE kids...
>not YOURS whom we all know are absolutely perfect.

Which is why everyone in a restaurant knew my nephew's name by the
time we finish a meal...and why I only suffered through the experience
once. "Sit down, Jay!" "Quit running around, Jay!" "Don't throw food
around, Jay"...

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Gregory Morrow

Nov 3, 2009, 11:58:04 PM11/3/09
brooklyn1 wrote:

Lol...

At least when she kyped my nose hair scissors she left her diaphragm behind
for "collateral"...or actually mebbe that diaphragm *was* the terlit
seat...!!!

;-)

--
Best
Greg

blake murphy

Nov 4, 2009, 12:48:48 PM11/4/09

nothing more entertaining than a dialog between two men with an abject fear
of pussy.

blake

sf

Nov 4, 2009, 2:51:53 PM11/4/09
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:48:48 -0500, blake murphy
<blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

>nothing more entertaining than a dialog between two men with an abject fear
>of pussy.

It's sounding more and more like pussy envy.

Gregory Morrow

Nov 4, 2009, 4:04:25 PM11/4/09
blake murphy wrote:

I don't "fear" it, blake, being a big queer 'n all I look at pussy
"objectively"...let's say I can view it in a "clinical" manner.

In another life I could even be the cybercat's OB/GYN guy...!!!

:-)

--
Best
Greg

Omelet

Nov 4, 2009, 7:52:34 PM11/4/09
In article <ov01f5l6j1iedf8h8...@4ax.com>,
brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

> even nose hair scissors... someone even lifted my
> toothbrush.

Ok, that's just GROSS!!!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Omelet

Nov 4, 2009, 7:54:04 PM11/4/09
In article <s8b420rei8sm$.1rj93z4e...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

> nothing more entertaining than a dialog between two men with an abject fear
> of pussy.
>
> blake

I was just thinking something similar... <lol>

brooklyn1

Nov 4, 2009, 10:44:13 PM11/4/09
"Gregory Morrow" wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> Lol...
>>>
>>> At least when she kyped my nose hair scissors she left her diaphragm
>>> behind for "collateral"...or actually mebbe that diaphragm *was* the
>>> terlit seat...!!!
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>
>> nothing more entertaining than a dialog between two men with an
>> abject fear of pussy.
>
>I don't "fear" it, blake, being a big queer 'n all I look at pussy
>"objectively"...let's say I can view it in a "clinical" manner.
>
>In another life I could even be the cybercat's OB/GYN guy...!!!

I think there's a twelve step training program:
http://tinyurl.com/y8rzq5v

whud...@hotmail.com

Nov 5, 2009, 2:01:46 PM11/5/09
In article <qth4f5pgdjpu0kcnh...@4ax.com>,
brooklyn1 <grave...@verizon.net> wrote:

> I think there's a twelve step training program:
> http://tinyurl.com/y8rzq5v

Sheldon is just so fucking hilarious.

Not.

Gregory Morrow

Nov 6, 2009, 4:55:44 PM11/6/09
brooklyn1 wrote:

<chortle>

--
Best
Greg

Mark Thorson

Nov 7, 2009, 6:40:21 PM11/7/09
"gloria.p" wrote:

> Sorry if this is not a new idea, but I have been w/o newsgroup
> access for three days and I come back to over 1200 messages.
> Can't read them all but I have read many of the 100 restaurant
> servers thread. I thought it might be interesting to see what
> we as patrons of a restaurant expect of ourselves and others.

Someone has written up a comprehensive list.

http://portlandfoodcoma.blogspot.com/2009/11/100-things-customer-should-never-do.html

--Bryan

Nov 7, 2009, 7:22:23 PM11/7/09
On Nov 2, 8:04 pm, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwri...@arizona.usa.com>
wrote:

> On Mon 02 Nov 2009 06:55:16p, Becca told us...
>

> > brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> >> Don't blame me... I haven't watched a baseball game since the Bums
> >> left Brooklyn.  And just to prove I don't know everything, I never
> >> watch any ball games, I know nothing about team sports... why any
> >> normal person would pay good money to watch infants in adult bodies
> >> running about hither and yon on a grassy field chasing a friggin' ball
> >> is way beyond my comprehension... none of those muscle bound steroid
> >> slurping retards can out perform a forty pound mutt with a frisbee.
>
> > Sports are not my thing, either.  BTW, you did not mention basketball,
> > which can only be played by genetic mutants who reach almost 7' in
> height.
>
> > Becca
>
> This is one time I totally agree with Sheldon. :-)

Sports is the opium of the people.

>                      Wayne Boatwright

--Bryan