<Ahem> The Twelfth Annual Schaller Ribbon Report

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 24, 2006, 12:40:36 PM8/24/06
Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
Then it got better. "-)

Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:

Six blue ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly*(8 entries), Chili Sauce (<cough> 3
entries), Corn Relish** (9 entries), Cherry Chipotle Relish***
(Miscellaneous lot, 12 entries), Stewed Tomatoes (8 entries), Tomato
Juice (8 entries).
* <coughs discreetly> Made from juice frozen in 1999
** That makes eight blue ribbons for this stuff
*** YES! The reclamation project worked

One red ribbon: Nectarine Jam (7 entries)

Two white ribbons: Plum Jelly**** (10 entries), Apricot Jam (12 entries)
****Made from juice frozen in 2000

Six pink ribbons: Strawberry Jelly (10 entries), Black Raspberry Jam
(15 entries), Blackberry Jam (13 entries), Peach Jam (20 entries),
Strawberry Jam (41 entries), Apricot Butter (Miscellaneous lot 13
entries).

Could be used for detonation ‹ notify the Bomb Squad: Cherry Jelly (go
figure), Blueberry Jam (I've never entered it before and I'll wager they
didn't like that it had cinnamon in it), Raspberry Jam (Doesn't surprise
me, but hope springs eternal 39 entries), Raspberry Mango Orange Jam
(go figure it's really good; the competition must've been stiff
Miscellaneous lot, 36 entries), Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks (Waal, haall,
I wouldn't eat them, either 21 entries).

Chris got in last night and he and I sat up talking until after 1:30.
He's a fine man, a fine human being. We couldn't ask for better.
IBeTired. He and I will head for the Fair in a couple hours and I'll
put in two hours pitching my Cherry and my Peach Raspberry Jams at the
Gedney booth late this afternoon.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Goomba38

Aug 24, 2006, 12:52:11 PM8/24/06
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)

Damn... I had a fantasy about your beloved (lol) beets scoring big time.
It would have been poetic.
Conga-rats on all other ribbons though! You actually have inspired me to
want to go down to my state's fair in Macon to check it out.
Goomba, a beet lover

-L.

Aug 24, 2006, 12:53:09 PM8/24/06

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)

Congrats, Barb!! I love reading these reports. I don't can anything,
so I am always impresssed with your sense of enthusiasm and creativity.

-L.

Kthonian

Aug 24, 2006, 12:59:12 PM8/24/06
One time on Usenet, Melba's Jammin'
<barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> said:

> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)
>
> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:

<snip>

Wow, 15 ribbons! Willya use a wheelbarrow to get them home?
Congratulations!! I won't comment on the dirt chunks (I always
hated my mom's pickled beets!).

Totally OT, DS (age 9) won a blue ribbon in our county fair
last month for one of his paintings, as well as a "Best of Class"
ribbon. It was his first fair entry, so he's tickled pink. He
wanted to enter it in the State fair (http://www.thefair.com/),
but they don't let kids into the fine arts section until the
Spring fair. Phooey!

Anyway, congrats again, Barb -- bet your mom would be proud...

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 24, 2006, 12:58:15 PM8/24/06
In article <9bCdnd1keb6nRHDZ...@comcast.com>,
Goomba38 <Goom...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> > ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> > numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> > Then it got better. "-)
>
> Damn... I had a fantasy about your beloved (lol) beets scoring big time.
> It would have been poetic.

Yeah, that's we me 'n' Chris thought, too.
But, hey, its boiled dirt. Whaddaya expect? "-)

Nancy Young

Aug 24, 2006, 12:58:23 PM8/24/06

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote

> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)
>
> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:

Well, I'm impressed. That is quite a haul. No wonder the woman
remembered writing your name. Congratulations. Ha ha about the
beets. You shoulda knowed better.

> Chris got in last night and he and I sat up talking until after 1:30.
> He's a fine man, a fine human being. We couldn't ask for better.

And that's really something to be proud of.

nancy

Virginia Tadrzynski

Aug 24, 2006, 1:03:56 PM8/24/06

"Kthonian" <ktho...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Forget the wagon, she's getting a bigger chest to put pin those ribbons on
(laughing at the visual of Barb getting a wheel barrow to carry her chest
full of medals....).
-ginny

zxcvbob

Aug 24, 2006, 1:19:45 PM8/24/06
Kthonian wrote:
> Totally OT, DS (age 9) won a blue ribbon in our county fair
> last month for one of his paintings, as well as a "Best of Class"
> ribbon. It was his first fair entry, so he's tickled pink. He
> wanted to enter it in the State fair (http://www.thefair.com/),
> but they don't let kids into the fine arts section until the
> Spring fair. Phooey!

Enter it in the adult class instead of the children's class. Don't
offer an age unless you have to.

That's what we did when DD entered her mayhaw jelly and some biscotti in
the county fair. She entered as an adult. (she did really well, too)

Bob

Virginia Tadrzynski

Aug 24, 2006, 1:39:58 PM8/24/06

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message

I second that, SBS is entering his coin and stamp collections under the
adult catagories and SBD is entering pillows the same way. They had
catagories for both in the youth division last year but dropped them this
year. I was encouraged to do so by the registrar (on the QT of course) she
said just enter it under the adult's name, if you are entering a lot of
things just add them to the list. The kid still gets the ribbon in the end.
-ginny

nancree

Aug 24, 2006, 1:55:58 PM8/24/06

Nancy Young wrote:
Congratulations, Barb! We'd love to see a photo of all the winning
entries together. I'm very pleased for you, but not surprised.

And by the way, I miss your "Church Reports", a lot! Any chance of
resuming them???

Nancree, (who loves pickled beets--can we still be friends? )

Margaret Suran

Aug 24, 2006, 2:19:07 PM8/24/06

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)
>
> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:
>
> Six blue ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly*(8 entries), Chili Sauce (<cough> 3
> entries), Corn Relish** (9 entries), Cherry Chipotle Relish***
> (Miscellaneous lot, 12 entries), Stewed Tomatoes (8 entries), Tomato
> Juice (8 entries).
> * <coughs discreetly> Made from juice frozen in 1999
> ** That makes eight blue ribbons for this stuff
> *** YES! The reclamation project worked
>
> One red ribbon: Nectarine Jam (7 entries)
>
> Two white ribbons: Plum Jelly**** (10 entries), Apricot Jam (12 entries)
> ****Made from juice frozen in 2000
>
> Six pink ribbons: Strawberry Jelly (10 entries), Black Raspberry Jam
> (15 entries), Blackberry Jam (13 entries), Peach Jam (20 entries),
> Strawberry Jam (41 entries), Apricot Butter (Miscellaneous lot 13
> entries).

Congratulations! This is such great news, since you are still nervous
when it comes to the awards.

I am very proud of you!!!!! When will Sam go to the Fair, to look at
all the ribbons her Babi won this year?

Have fun this week end, with all your loved ones coming to see you.
If I am proud of you, I can just about imagine how they are feeling.

Message has been deleted

Sandy

Aug 24, 2006, 2:35:54 PM8/24/06

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:
>
> Six blue ribbons: Crab Apple Jelly*(8 entries), Chili Sauce (<cough> 3
> entries), Corn Relish** (9 entries), Cherry Chipotle Relish***
> (Miscellaneous lot, 12 entries), Stewed Tomatoes (8 entries), Tomato
> Juice (8 entries).
<snip the many ribbons>

Boy howdy, you be one busy jam lady! Many congratulations on your
ribbon haul! And if you have any trouble getting rid of that blueberry
jam, send it my way....I put a dash of cinnamon in my blueberry
pie...love it!!

Sandy

Kthonian

Aug 24, 2006, 4:50:42 PM8/24/06
One time on Usenet, "Virginia Tadrzynski" <ta...@enter.net> said:
> "zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Kthonian wrote:

> > > Totally OT, DS (age 9) won a blue ribbon in our county fair
> > > last month for one of his paintings, as well as a "Best of Class"
> > > ribbon. It was his first fair entry, so he's tickled pink. He
> > > wanted to enter it in the State fair (http://www.thefair.com/),
> > > but they don't let kids into the fine arts section until the
> > > Spring fair. Phooey!

> > Enter it in the adult class instead of the children's class. Don't
> > offer an age unless you have to.
> >
> > That's what we did when DD entered her mayhaw jelly and some biscotti in
> > the county fair. She entered as an adult. (she did really well, too)

> I second that, SBS is entering his coin and stamp collections under the

> adult catagories and SBD is entering pillows the same way. They had
> catagories for both in the youth division last year but dropped them this
> year. I was encouraged to do so by the registrar (on the QT of course) she
> said just enter it under the adult's name, if you are entering a lot of
> things just add them to the list. The kid still gets the ribbon in the end.

Weeellll, I appreciate the advice, but I don't see it working
out too well in this case. He won his ribbons in competition with
other kids -- although I love his painting (a large fish eating
some shrimp), I can't imagine him doing very well against adult
artists. I think it would be better for him to wait until the
Spring fair. At the very least, he'll learn some patience... :-)

Bob (this one)

Aug 24, 2006, 5:12:38 PM8/24/06
Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website.

Well, not bad for a 12 year old, I'd say. You rookies always
seem to do well.

> Chris got in last night and he and I sat up talking until after 1:30.
> He's a fine man, a fine human being. We couldn't ask for better.
> IBeTired. He and I will head for the Fair in a couple hours and I'll
> put in two hours pitching my Cherry and my Peach Raspberry Jams at the
> Gedney booth late this afternoon.

Cool. The word for the day is "caffeine."

Pastorio

Terry Pulliam Burd

Aug 24, 2006, 11:09:03 PM8/24/06
Good on ya, Barb. Just reading about your entries and prizes makes me
wonder...just how humid is your house come canning time?? <veg>

<applause! applause! applause!>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 24, 2006, 11:09:22 PM8/24/06
In article <v4mHg.1148$bM....@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net>,

Margaret Suran <marg...@no.spam.for.me.invalid> wrote:
> Congratulations! This is such great news, since you are still nervous
> when it comes to the awards.

It's nice that the results are available online early in the day. I
used to go to be there when the buildings opened at 9:00; today Chris
and I didn't get out of here until 2:00 p.m. but I already had the
results. Yeay. (Not nervous, I think, but certainly excited.)

> I am very proud of you!!!!! When will Sam go to the Fair, to look at
> all the ribbons her Babi won this year?

She's going to her first Viking game tomorrow night with her 'rents and
her beloved Uncle Chris. We'll all go to the Fair on Monday; I've got a
radio gig on KSTP-AM <am1500.com> on Monday afternoon sometime after
3:30. I did the same show last year and am pleased to have been invited
back. I show well. "-0) I think they stream the broadcast for online
listening. I don't know what's involved with that. The short straw has
to go on the carnival rides with her. She no longer has enthusiasm for
the Kiddie Rides; she wants the screamers. JAYzuzz!!

> Have fun this week end, with all your loved ones coming to see you.
> If I am proud of you, I can just about imagine how they are feeling.

Thanks. Chris and I had a good time together -- he tells me that his AZ
friends are very entertained by his mother's Fair adventures. I think
I'm going to start charging them!! I won't get around to adding
pictures of the stuff until tomorrow.

Thanks, Margaret.

Blair P. Houghton

Aug 25, 2006, 1:16:11 AM8/25/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
>Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:

Man, that's a lotta toast to schmear!

>Six blue ribbons:
>One red ribbon:
>Two white ribbons:

Congratulations. 45% hit rate, against what looks like
long odds.

>****Made from juice frozen in 2000
>
>Six pink ribbons: Strawberry Jelly (10 entries), Black Raspberry Jam
>(15 entries), Blackberry Jam (13 entries), Peach Jam (20 entries),
>Strawberry Jam (41 entries), Apricot Butter (Miscellaneous lot 13
>entries).
>
>Could be used for detonation ‹ notify the Bomb Squad: Cherry Jelly (go
>figure), Blueberry Jam (I've never entered it before and I'll wager they
>didn't like that it had cinnamon in it), Raspberry Jam (Doesn't surprise
>me, but hope springs eternal 39 entries), Raspberry Mango Orange Jam
>(go figure it's really good; the competition must've been stiff
>Miscellaneous lot, 36 entries), Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks (Waal, haall,
>I wouldn't eat them, either 21 entries).

Got a basket of raspberries yesterday that has more
raspberry flavor than I've tasted in years, but
unfortunately isn't very sweet. I bet it'd make a
hell of a jam. Wish I'd got ten pounds and a case
of Ball jars and one of those funky tong things and
a load of pectin and the URL of a how-to-can-fruit
website and some impetus...

Meanwhile, you've posed me an interesting probability
problem.

What are the chances that given your entries you would
do at least as well as you did, if the results were
determined entirely randomly? It seems reasonable
you've done much better than chance, but I'm thinking
it's quite a bit better than chance. Orders of magnitude
(that's mathematician talk for "gobs") better, maybe.
I.e., you're good.

And I'm just realizing I'm trying to solve this problem
while watching the New America Foundation Symposium on
Middle East Conflict on C-Span.

If that doesn't say I'm one smart feller, I don't imagine
I can invent something that does.

--Blair

Syssi

Aug 25, 2006, 8:04:20 AM8/25/06

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <ntpu...@spaminator.net> wrote in message

> Good on ya, Barb. Just reading about your entries and prizes makes me
> wonder...just how humid is your house come canning time?? <veg>
>
> <applause! applause! applause!>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
-----------

Ya'll need to stop it. If her head swells up anymore she won't fit through
the kitchen door to get any canning done!!

--
Cyndi (again)

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 25, 2006, 10:32:00 AM8/25/06
In article <vIvHg.271592$bN2....@fe09.news.easynews.com>,

Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
> >Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:
>
> Man, that's a lotta toast to schmear!
>
> >Six blue ribbons:
> >One red ribbon:
> >Two white ribbons:
>
> Congratulations. 45% hit rate, against what looks like
> long odds.

Um, 75%, but who's paying attention? Six, one, two, and six pink (4th
place; in some of the baking lots they award to sixth).

> >Six pink ribbons: Strawberry Jelly (10 entries), Black Raspberry Jam
> >(15 entries), Blackberry Jam (13 entries), Peach Jam (20 entries),
> >Strawberry Jam (41 entries), Apricot Butter (Miscellaneous lot 13
> >entries).

:-o)

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 25, 2006, 10:38:53 AM8/25/06
Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:

> Meanwhile, you've posed me an interesting probability
> problem.
>
> What are the chances that given your entries you would
> do at least as well as you did, if the results were
> determined entirely randomly? It seems reasonable
> you've done much better than chance, but I'm thinking
> it's quite a bit better than chance. Orders of magnitude
> (that's mathematician talk for "gobs") better, maybe.
> I.e., you're good.

Not sure I know what you mean. It's blind judging. They tell me (I'm
curious as hell about this stuff and ask questions) that the helper
bees line up the jars (required labels to the back) and the judges come
in to sit and taste. They don't know whose stuff they're tasting.
Also, some of the lots don't get many entries -- my first place chili
sauce was one of three entries in the lot! LOLOL! OTOH, that does NOT
guarantee a bloody thing: The year that I first entered chutney, there
were four entries and mine didn't get first, second, third, OR fourth!
LOL. They don't award all places if they don't think something's worthy
(I think they've got some kind of point range for what's worth blue,
red, etc.). A dear friend of mine entered some craft stuff for the
first time this year. In one lot, she received a fourth place rating.
There was no first, second, third. Maybe hers was the only entry紀da
Know that yet.

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 25, 2006, 4:44:59 PM8/25/06
In article <1156442158....@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"nancree" <nan...@aol.com> wrote:

I've got my notes, just haven't taken the time to write the reports.
Beet-lover, huh? gonna write that down . . . .

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 25, 2006, 4:45:41 PM8/25/06
In article <CbadnfEeMaApR3DZ...@comcast.com>,
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote

> > Chris got in last night and he and I sat up talking until after 1:30.

> > He's a fine man, a fine human being. We couldn't ask for better.
>
> And that's really something to be proud of.
>
> nancy

Yup. We got two gems from the gene pools. Thanks.

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 25, 2006, 4:48:11 PM8/25/06
In article <ccqse2h320dqsunuu...@4ax.com>,

Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpu...@spaminator.net> wrote:

> Good on ya, Barb. Just reading about your entries and prizes makes me
> wonder...just how humid is your house come canning time?? <veg>
>
> <applause! applause! applause!>

I blush.

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

Not so bad, really. My vent fan seems to be decent. And I'm not above
canning with the air conditioning on. Also my spreads don't take much
for cooking and only 10 minutes for processing. The tomatoes were
longer in the waterbath, but I think the weather was decent when I was
doing them.

Jke

Aug 25, 2006, 5:41:04 PM8/25/06
Many congratulations (15)!

I am very surprised your beets didn't win...

Message has been deleted

Victor Sack

Aug 25, 2006, 5:54:13 PM8/25/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:

> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:
>

> Six blue ribbons

Shameful, simply shameful! Why anyone would willingly throw away
another 15 blue ribbons passeth all understanding! Entering you
celestial Barb's Beety Beauty would have automatically gotten you a blue
ribbon not just for it but also for each of all the other entries.
Barb's Beety Beauty, the Jelly of the Stars, is unique and unmatched!
Entering pickled beets is not enough!

Yours in disgust,

Bubba

Felice Friese

Aug 25, 2006, 11:04:57 AM8/25/06

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote in message

> Well, lemme tell you that I was sweating a bit as I perused the list of
> ribbon winners on the State Fair website. I didn't check my entries in
> numerical order and there were sure a lot of fourth place placings. :-0(
> Then it got better. "-)

Did you also get the blue for Most Ribbons Won?

Congratulations!

Felice

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 26, 2006, 9:21:37 AM8/26/06
In article <4l992m...@individual.net>,
"Jke" <moretha...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Many congratulations (15)!
>
> I am very surprised your beets didn't win...

Yeah, me, too. "-) There's enough red wine in there to pickle the
judges. . . . .

Blair P. Houghton

Aug 27, 2006, 12:19:11 AM8/27/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
>In article <vIvHg.271592$bN2....@fe09.news.easynews.com>,
> Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, you've posed me an interesting probability
>> problem.
>>
>> What are the chances that given your entries you would
>> do at least as well as you did, if the results were
>> determined entirely randomly? It seems reasonable
>> you've done much better than chance, but I'm thinking
>> it's quite a bit better than chance. Orders of magnitude
>> (that's mathematician talk for "gobs") better, maybe.
>> I.e., you're good.
>
>Not sure I know what you mean. It's blind judging.

I mean if I entered something in every category, what would
my chances be, if I knew how to make jam but nothing about
what any of the other entries were like. It turns out to
be a terribly interesting problem involving combinatorics
and n-tuples and multichotomies and those squiggly greek
letters and lots of subscript indices...think of it as jam
for the mathematical mind...

>They tell me (I'm
>curious as hell about this stuff and ask questions) that the helper
>bees line up the jars (required labels to the back) and the judges come
>in to sit and taste. They don't know whose stuff they're tasting.
>Also, some of the lots don't get many entries -- my first place chili
>sauce was one of three entries in the lot! LOLOL! OTOH, that does NOT
>guarantee a bloody thing: The year that I first entered chutney, there
>were four entries and mine didn't get first, second, third, OR fourth!
>LOL. They don't award all places if they don't think something's worthy
>(I think they've got some kind of point range for what's worth blue,
>red, etc.). A dear friend of mine entered some craft stuff for the
>first time this year. In one lot, she received a fourth place rating.
>There was no first, second, third. Maybe hers was the only entry紀da
>Know that yet.

Now that's going to gum up the math considerably, if it's
possible to be the "best" in the category but not get
one of the top prizes...

--Blair

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 28, 2006, 9:22:09 PM8/28/06
In article <239Ig.64786$1Q6....@fe04.news.easynews.com>,

Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
> >In article <vIvHg.271592$bN2....@fe09.news.easynews.com>,
> > Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:
> >
> >> Meanwhile, you've posed me an interesting probability
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> What are the chances that given your entries you would
> >> do at least as well as you did, if the results were
> >> determined entirely randomly? It seems reasonable
> >> you've done much better than chance, but I'm thinking
> >> it's quite a bit better than chance. Orders of magnitude
> >> (that's mathematician talk for "gobs") better, maybe.
> >> I.e., you're good.
> >
> >Not sure I know what you mean. It's blind judging.
>
> I mean if I entered something in every category, what would
> my chances be, if I knew how to make jam but nothing about
> what any of the other entries were like.

If there were 8 entries in the lot, you'd have one chance in 8. None of
us knows what the other entries are like.

> It turns out to
> be a terribly interesting problem

It does, huh? :-)

> involving combinatorics
> and n-tuples and multichotomies and those squiggly greek
> letters and lots of subscript indices...think of it as jam
> for the mathematical mind...

But, why, Blair? Why?

> >They tell me (I'm
> >curious as hell about this stuff and ask questions) that the helper
> >bees line up the jars (required labels to the back) and the judges come
> >in to sit and taste. They don't know whose stuff they're tasting.
> >Also, some of the lots don't get many entries -- my first place chili
> >sauce was one of three entries in the lot! LOLOL! OTOH, that does NOT
> >guarantee a bloody thing: The year that I first entered chutney, there
> >were four entries and mine didn't get first, second, third, OR fourth!
> >LOL. They don't award all places if they don't think something's worthy
> >(I think they've got some kind of point range for what's worth blue,
> >red, etc.). A dear friend of mine entered some craft stuff for the
> >first time this year. In one lot, she received a fourth place rating.
> >There was no first, second, third. Maybe hers was the only entry紀da
> >Know that yet.
>
> Now that's going to gum up the math considerably, if it's
> possible to be the "best" in the category but not get
> one of the top prizes...
>
> --Blair

I know what you mean. How can there be two entries, yours scores more
than the other, and you still might not get first place. If I ever quit
doing this (the competing) I'm going to start working there. I wouldn't
expect to judge but would sure have fun with all the buzz and prep.

Blair P. Houghton

Aug 28, 2006, 11:05:28 PM8/28/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:
>> I mean if I entered something in every category, what would
>> my chances be, if I knew how to make jam but nothing about
>> what any of the other entries were like.
>
>If there were 8 entries in the lot, you'd have one chance in 8. None of
>us knows what the other entries are like.

Sure, it's easy when there's one lot.

But out of 19 lots of differing depths, what are your
chances of getting at least 6 firsts plus 3 seconds plus
4 thirds, etc.?

>> It turns out to
>> be a terribly interesting problem
>
>It does, huh? :-)

I have pencil lead in my veins.

>> involving combinatorics
>> and n-tuples and multichotomies and those squiggly greek
>> letters and lots of subscript indices...think of it as jam
>> for the mathematical mind...
>
>But, why, Blair? Why?

Because there's not nearly enough geekiness in
potted fruit!

>If I ever quit
>doing this (the competing) I'm going to start working there. I wouldn't
>expect to judge but would sure have fun with all the buzz and prep.

Your co-competitors will consider it a blessing.

Kind of like that lady that kept killing in the chili
cookoffs then finally switched to organizing.

--Blair

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 29, 2006, 6:46:06 PM8/29/06
In article <Y9OIg.382731$Em2.3...@fe10.news.easynews.com>,

Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
> > Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:
> >> I mean if I entered something in every category, what would my
> >> chances be, if I knew how to make jam but nothing about what any
> >> of the other entries were like.

> >If there were 8 entries in the lot, you'd have one chance in 8. None of
> >us knows what the other entries are like.
>
> Sure, it's easy when there's one lot.
>
> But out of 19 lots of differing depths, what are your chances of
> getting at least 6 firsts plus 3 seconds plus 4 thirds, etc.?

> >> It turns out to
> >> be a terribly interesting problem
> >
> >It does, huh? :-)
>
> I have pencil lead in my veins.
>
> >> involving combinatorics and n-tuples and multichotomies and those
> >> squiggly greek letters and lots of subscript indices...think of it
> >> as jam for the mathematical mind...

> >But, why, Blair? Why?
>
> Because there's not nearly enough geekiness in
> potted fruit!

Allrighty, then. As long as you've got a *reason* for it!

> >If I ever quit doing this (the competing) I'm going to start working
> >there. I wouldn't expect to judge but would sure have fun with all
> >the buzz and prep.

> Your co-competitors will consider it a blessing.

> --Blair

LOL!
I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning
again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in three
years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.

Nancy Young

Aug 29, 2006, 6:48:40 PM8/29/06

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote

> I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning

> again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in three
> years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.

Wow!!! I don't say this often but ... You ROCK!!!

nancy

Margaret Suran

Aug 29, 2006, 7:54:58 PM8/29/06

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> LOL!
> I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning
> again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in three
> years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.

How wonderful! May there be many more of such happy surprises!
What did Sam and Becky and Chris have to say? :o)

Message has been deleted

Damsel in dis Dress

Aug 29, 2006, 9:42:46 PM8/29/06
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:46:06 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
<barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:

>I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning
>again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in three
>years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.

Wow! May I kiss your ladle?

Carol, very impressed!

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 29, 2006, 11:12:09 PM8/29/06
In article <Xns982EC0E34957Bzj...@69.28.186.121>,

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid>

> > LOL!
> > I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning
> > again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in
> > three years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.
>

> I take it with your fame and fortune you are treating us all to a long,
> drunken dinner ;)
>
> Michael

ROTFLMAO!!!! Fame I've got covered; fortune's still at the back of the
bus. I'll come home with about $65. Lessee, now. . . . .I'll have made
four trips over there (3 for PR, 1 with family). Four bus fares for
$20, four tickets for $28, 50 miles roundtrip by car three times to
deliver canning, baking, and pickup the ribbons and displayed jars. Gas
is at $2.63/gallon today. I don't think I'm coming out ahead in a
fiscal sense here. :-) The laugh factor is tremendous, though.

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 29, 2006, 11:15:49 PM8/29/06
In article <mt4Jg.11799$Qf....@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Margaret Suran <marg...@no.spam.for.me.invalid> wrote:

Thanks, Margaret. They were (all four of them, Rob included) a riot.
Niece Patty called to congratulate me (I got the news from her; last
time I checked The List, it wasn't announced there yet) and I moved to
another room to talk to her. When I came back to the kitchen where the
family was breakfasting on yesterday's mini-donuts and this morning's
Raspberry White Chocolate muffins (a no-ribbon winner), Sam asked "what
did you win, Babi?" I told her I was the best and they all broke out in
raucous clapping, cheering, whistling, and screams. I'd been set up.
<grin> "You're the best cooker, Babi." I can still fool her,

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 29, 2006, 11:16:29 PM8/29/06
In article <H7GdnWbRpqvWWWnZ...@comcast.com>,
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

Heh. You should see me with my boogie shoes -- I rock AND roll! "-)
Thanks.

Kthonian

Aug 29, 2006, 11:27:54 PM8/29/06

Whew, me too (yes, I said it). Congrats, Barb -- you deserve it... :-)

--
"Kthonian" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Blair P. Houghton

Aug 30, 2006, 1:03:59 AM8/30/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
>LOL!
>I just found out this morning that I won the grand fromage of canning
>again, the Fair's "Prestigious Processor of the Pantry." Twice in three
>years; twice in its four-year existence. Woo-hoo! What a kick.

Ever canned bread?

--Blair

ra...@vt.edu

Aug 30, 2006, 11:23:48 AM8/30/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:

> Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:

> Six blue ribbons:

> One red ribbon:
> Two white ribbons:

> Six pink ribbons:

Congrats. All this on the new stove I take it? How's that smoothtop
working out for you? I haven't been paying much attention lately so
you may have already talked about it, if so, just point me at a thread
title.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Rusty

Aug 30, 2006, 1:51:38 PM8/30/06
>>>There was no first, second, third. Maybe hers was the only entry‹Ida
>>>Know that yet.
>>
>>Now that's going to gum up the math considerably, if it's
>>possible to be the "best" in the category but not get
>>one of the top prizes...
>>
>> --Blair
>

> I know what you mean. How can there be two entries, yours scores more
> than the other, and you still might not get first place. If I ever quit
> doing this (the competing) I'm going to start working there. I wouldn't
> expect to judge but would sure have fun with all the buzz and prep.

I judge wine at the state fairs and I may be able to help you understand
the judging. We judge by the 5 S's - Sight, Swirl, Smell, Sip, Spit (or
Swallow if you are just drinking wines and not judging them). Each
category has a set number of points i.e. there are 3 points for sight(or
appearance). If it looks like a clear Chardonnay and has no strange
things flowing in it it gets 3 points. Smell (or Aroma) gets 6 points -
3 is neutral and it goes up for clean, good aromas and down for off
aromas. Taste gets 6 points, Aftertaste gets 3 points and Overall (or
the fudge factor)gets 2 points. Any wine under 10 total points is judged
as inferior and gets nothing. 11 -12 points honorable mention, 13 -
14 points bronze medal, 15 - 17 points silver medal and 18 -20 points
gold medal. I am still waiting for that 20 point wine! If they judge
the same way for caning products, that is how you can have 2 entries and
no first place. Hope this helps.

At any rate, I think you did great!! I love reading about all your
adventures and marvel at your energy.

Rusty from MD

Syssi

Aug 30, 2006, 6:42:51 PM8/30/06

"Blair P. Houghton" <b@p.h> wrote in message
--------

I have. They turned out really, really good!
Cyndi

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 30, 2006, 6:58:43 PM8/30/06

Thanks, Bill.
It's working well, thank you. I've been doing most of my cooking in my
Bigass Demeyere kettle/pail/bucket-y thing and doing the bwb in a tall
Farberware stockpot I picked up for $20 -- I can do two levels of half
pint jars in it.

Reminds me -- I gotta go boil some jars for a batch of Cherry Chipotle
Relish (one of the blues).

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 30, 2006, 7:03:12 PM8/30/06
In article <EIKdnewNlaawTWjZ...@adelphia.com>,
Rusty <LaRu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>Now that's going to gum up the math considerably, if it's
> >>possible to be the "best" in the category but not get
> >>one of the top prizes...
> >>
> >> --Blair
> >

> > I know what you mean. How can there be two entries, yours scores more
> > than the other, and you still might not get first place. If I ever quit
> > doing this (the competing) I'm going to start working there. I wouldn't
> > expect to judge but would sure have fun with all the buzz and prep.
>

> I judge wine at the state fairs and I may be able to help you understand
> the judging. We judge by the 5 S's - Sight, Swirl, Smell, Sip, Spit (or
> Swallow if you are just drinking wines and not judging them). Each
> category has a set number of points i.e. there are 3 points for sight(or
> appearance). If it looks like a clear Chardonnay and has no strange
> things flowing in it it gets 3 points. Smell (or Aroma) gets 6 points -
> 3 is neutral and it goes up for clean, good aromas and down for off
> aromas. Taste gets 6 points, Aftertaste gets 3 points and Overall (or
> the fudge factor)gets 2 points. Any wine under 10 total points is judged
> as inferior and gets nothing. 11 -12 points honorable mention, 13 -
> 14 points bronze medal, 15 - 17 points silver medal and 18 -20 points
> gold medal. I am still waiting for that 20 point wine! If they judge
> the same way for caning products, that is how you can have 2 entries and
> no first place. Hope this helps.

Understood. There's a range of the number of points required to be
awarded a first place, second, etc. The range here, I'm *guessing*
varies with the number of entries in the lot. Still, to someone not
familiar with the processes, it does seem odd that of x number of
entries there might not be a first place winner.

Our Fair gets lots of white bread entries -- good ones,. They use
fractions of points in that lot.

> At any rate, I think you did great!! I love reading about all your
> adventures and marvel at your energy.

Thanks. It's a kick. Keeps me off the streets. "-)

Melba's Jammin'

Aug 30, 2006, 7:03:57 PM8/30/06
In article <3%8Jg.121870$1Q6....@fe04.news.easynews.com>,

Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:

In a word: No.
Not a safe plan, according to my USDA and other canning sources.

Victor Sack

Aug 31, 2006, 5:58:45 PM8/31/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:

> Blair P. Houghton <b@p.h> wrote:
> >

> > Ever canned bread?

> In a word: No.
> Not a safe plan, according to my USDA and other canning sources.

Here are some other sources...

Schiffsbrot (ship bread) is a traditional Bremen specialty. See
<http://www.torquato.de/shop/Vegesacker-Schiffsbrot.htm>.

Brownbread (one word, I gather) is a traditional New England specialty.
See <http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/cannedbrownbread.shtml>.

If they can can it, why can't you can it? Can you can-can?

Bubba

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 1, 2006, 12:04:17 AM9/1/06
In article <1hkwut2.1sc35yuw557a9N%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

From the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of
Georgia:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#30

Can I can bread or cake in a jar?

These products are not recommended for canning; choose recipes that you
can freeze. In fact, most of these products are not really "canned." The
directions call for baking in the jar and then closing with a canning
lid. Many recipes for quick breads and cakes are low-acid and have the
potential for supporting the growth of a bacteria like Clostridium
botulinum if it is present inside the closed jar. One university's
research showed a high potential for problems. You will see these
products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and
processing controls not available for home recipes are used. Canning jar
manufacturers also don't endorse baking in their canning jars.

Victor Sack

Sep 1, 2006, 5:50:55 PM9/1/06
Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:

> azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > Schiffsbrot (ship bread) is a traditional Bremen specialty. See
> > <http://www.torquato.de/shop/Vegesacker-Schiffsbrot.htm>.
> >
> > Brownbread (one word, I gather) is a traditional New England specialty.
> > See <http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/cannedbrownbread.shtml>.
> >
> > If they can can it, why can't you can it? Can you can-can?
>

> From the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of
> Georgia:
>
> http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#30
>
> Can I can bread or cake in a jar?
>
> These products are not recommended for canning; choose recipes that you
> can freeze. In fact, most of these products are not really "canned." The
> directions call for baking in the jar and then closing with a canning
> lid. Many recipes for quick breads and cakes are low-acid and have the
> potential for supporting the growth of a bacteria like Clostridium
> botulinum if it is present inside the closed jar. One university's
> research showed a high potential for problems. You will see these
> products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and
> processing controls not available for home recipes are used. Canning jar
> manufacturers also don't endorse baking in their canning jars.

Why are they talking about jarred bread? The products I mentioned are
tinned, not jarred. Don't know about brownbread but Schiffsbrot is
baked in its tin, which is then sealed, then heated again. It does not,
AFAIK, contain additives or preservatives, but does contain dates, to
keep it moist. It is said to keep well for up to two years.

Bubba

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 2, 2006, 11:04:54 PM9/2/06
In article <1hkzurp.q9erub1tm1gw0N%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
> > >
> > > Schiffsbrot (ship bread) is a traditional Bremen specialty. See
> > > <http://www.torquato.de/shop/Vegesacker-Schiffsbrot.htm>.
> > >
> > > Brownbread (one word, I gather) is a traditional New England specialty.
> > > See <http://www.mainegoodies.com/gourmet/cannedbrownbread.shtml>.
> > >
> > > If they can can it, why can't you can it? Can you can-can?
> >
> > From the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the University of
> > Georgia:
> >
> > http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#30
> >
> > Can I can bread or cake in a jar?
> >
> > These products are not recommended for canning; choose recipes that you
> > can freeze. In fact, most of these products are not really "canned." The
> > directions call for baking in the jar and then closing with a canning
> > lid. Many recipes for quick breads and cakes are low-acid and have the
> > potential for supporting the growth of a bacteria like Clostridium
> > botulinum if it is present inside the closed jar. One university's
> > research showed a high potential for problems. You will see these
> > products made commercially; however, additives, preservatives and
> > processing controls not available for home recipes are used. Canning jar
> > manufacturers also don't endorse baking in their canning jars.
>
> Why are they talking about jarred bread?

Because ovah heah it's been a bit of a fad to bake quick breads in a
preserving jar and seal it for storage or gift giving. Not much
preserving going on that involves actual metal cans.

> The products I mentioned are tinned, not jarred. Don't know about
> brownbread but Schiffsbrot is baked in its tin, which is then sealed,
> then heated again. It does not, AFAIK, contain additives or
> preservatives, but does contain dates, to keep it moist. It is said
> to keep well for up to two years.

> Bubba

Ida Know what to say, Bubba Vic.

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 9, 2006, 11:03:00 PM9/9/06
In article <1hknh54.xm7w5xmkhb6qN%azaz...@koroviev.de>,
azaz...@koroviev.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbs....@earthfink.net.invalid> wrote:
>

> > Here's the poop on my twenty canning entries:
> >
> > Six blue ribbons
>

> Shameful, simply shameful! Why anyone would willingly throw away
> another 15 blue ribbons passeth all understanding! Entering you
> celestial Barb's Beety Beauty would have automatically gotten you a blue
> ribbon not just for it but also for each of all the other entries.
> Barb's Beety Beauty, the Jelly of the Stars, is unique and unmatched!
> Entering pickled beets is not enough!
>
> Yours in disgust,
>
> Bubba

Hey, Bubba Vic!! Get this: I picked up my jars and ribbons on Thursday
and be damned if the Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks didn't come in FIFTH in
the placings ã out of 21 jars. Heh! I think that's a riot considering
I have no idea what the icky things taste like. Judge gave me 90 points
of 100. LOL!!!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Wayne Boatwright

Sep 9, 2006, 11:20:25 PM9/9/06
Oh pshaw, on Sat 09 Sep 2006 08:03:00p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

What pickled dirt chunk recipe did you use, Mother Superior?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Oxymoron: Sharp Cookie.

TammyM

Sep 10, 2006, 10:22:56 AM9/10/06

I've tasted said Schaller Boiled Dirt Chunks, and I thought they were
mighty tasty. I think the only one who didn't (aside from Ma Schaller
who wouldn't know her ass from a h... um, I think I better shaddup)
was June who seemed to want to store them in her cheek until she could
dispose of them discreetly.

:-)

TammyM, teller of out of school tales

sd

Sep 10, 2006, 9:04:48 PM9/10/06
In article <barbschaller-8E8B...@news.iphouse.com>,

Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hey, Bubba Vic!! Get this: I picked up my jars and ribbons on Thursday
> and be damned if the Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks didn't come in FIFTH in
> the placings ã out of 21 jars. Heh! I think that's a riot considering
> I have no idea what the icky things taste like. Judge gave me 90 points
> of 100. LOL!!!

So what were the judge's comments?

sd

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 12, 2006, 10:25:35 PM9/12/06
In article <sd55117-43D428...@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
sd <sd5...@yahoo.com> wrote:

No comments, but 35 of 40 points for flavor, 27 of 30 for texture. Who
would know that Boiled Dirt is supposed to have texture? Nine of ten
for both color and general appearance. Full ten for the pack and
processing.

Wayne Boatwright

Sep 12, 2006, 10:44:38 PM9/12/06
Oh pshaw, on Tue 12 Sep 2006 07:25:35p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> In article <sd55117-43D428...@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> sd <sd5...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <barbschaller-8E8B...@news.iphouse.com>,
>> Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey, Bubba Vic!! Get this: I picked up my jars and ribbons on
>> > Thursday and be damned if the Pickled Boiled Dirt Chunks didn't come
>> > in FIFTH in the placings ã out of 21 jars. Heh! I think that's a
>> > riot considering I have no idea what the icky things taste like.
>> > Judge gave me 90 points of 100. LOL!!!
>>
>> So what were the judge's comments?
>>
>> sd
>
> No comments, but 35 of 40 points for flavor, 27 of 30 for texture. Who
> would know that Boiled Dirt is supposed to have texture? Nine of ten
> for both color and general appearance. Full ten for the pack and
> processing.

LOL! You would know about their texture if you ate one. <ducking>

--
Wayne Boatwright

Everything in our favor was against us.