axis deer

Daniel

May 3, 2021, 8:08:34 PM5/3/21
A friend of mine gifted a bunch of axis deer backstrap as well as a load
of other really good meat. Creme de la creme as they say. I've never had
deer much less axis deer that he hunted in hawaii.

I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild game
meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?

I would not want to mess this up regardless, but it gives alot more weight
for me personally that he's dying of cancer. He was making room in his
game freezers for a few elk that he killed last season.

I've had the meat now for about a month but it seems high time to pull
some out to grill.

Thanks!

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Dave Smith

May 3, 2021, 10:23:42 PM5/3/21
He killed the elk last season and he is just making room for them in the
freezer now? I think I would pass on the free meat.

US Janet

May 3, 2021, 11:48:47 PM5/3/21
An elk is a heck of a lot of meat.
Janet US

Stu Rawlings

May 4, 2021, 1:31:07 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 3 May 2021 22:23:37 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Of course you would. Youre a petty, ridiculous little cunt. "I think I
would pass on the free meat". Fuck you, asshole.

Stu Rawlings

May 4, 2021, 1:32:20 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 03 May 2021 21:48:42 -0600, US Janet <USJ...@jan6noplace.com>
wrote:
Sure is, and a privilege to eat. And offered for free, no less.

Leo

May 4, 2021, 1:54:17 AM5/4/21
On 2021 May 3, , Daniel wrote
(in article <8735v39...@sci.fi.dan.com>):

> I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
> overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild game
> meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?

I have eaten a lot of wild game. I doubt that any deer would come out pasty.
Maybe, I don´t know what "pasty" means to you.
Remember that wild game is wild, without any governmental stamp of approval,
and may contain parasites. I tend to cook wild game to well done.
I have hunter friends who disagree. They´re still alive so...

leo

bruce bowser

May 4, 2021, 9:22:15 AM5/4/21
On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 8:08:34 PM UTC-4, Daniel wrote:
> A friend of mine gifted a bunch of axis deer backstrap as well as a load
> of other really good meat. Creme de la creme as they say. I've never had
> deer much less axis deer that he hunted in hawaii.
>
> I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
> overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild game
> meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?

Deer meat, not wild game meat, because then you could get into quail, etc...

Dave Smith

May 4, 2021, 9:32:43 AM5/4/21
On 2021-05-03 11:48 p.m., US Janet wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2021 22:23:37 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I would not want to mess this up regardless, but it gives alot more weight
>>> for me personally that he's dying of cancer. He was making room in his
>>> game freezers for a few elk that he killed last season.
>>>
>>> I've had the meat now for about a month but it seems high time to pull
>>> some out to grill.
>>>

>> He killed the elk last season and he is just making room for them in the
>> freezer now? I think I would pass on the free meat.
>
> An elk is a heck of a lot of meat.

It is indeed. It just seemed odd that he was just making room for it in
his freezer now if it was from last season.

Boron Elgar

May 4, 2021, 9:33:54 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 03 May 2021 21:48:42 -0600, US Janet <USJ...@jan6noplace.com>
wrote:

I was thinking the same thing...lotta meat to keep frozen.

Boron Elgar

May 4, 2021, 9:41:37 AM5/4/21
On Mon, 03 May 2021 22:54:11 -0700, Leo <leobla...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
I will only eat farm raised.

Parasites are the least of it. My paranoid other concern is prion
disease such as CWD. Though they cannot pin deer/elk to human
transmission, I know too much about what happened with the cattle
problems to be comfy with eating wild ungulate.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/02/fatal-brain-disease-in-deer-elk-moose-spreading-danger-for-humans/

US Janet

May 4, 2021, 9:53:31 AM5/4/21
I've refused wild moose and elk meat in the last 10 years because of
those concerns. We don't hunt any longer either.
Janet US

Boron Elgar

May 4, 2021, 10:14:00 AM5/4/21
On Tue, 04 May 2021 07:53:27 -0600, US Janet <USJ...@jan6noplace.com>
wrote:
It's a damned shame and it is spreading to more and more states.

There is a specialty meat place near us- mostly they exist for upscale
restaurant provisions, but they have a great network for farmed deer
and elk. In fact, I have a venison rack in the freezer that I should
get out and make one evening.

Boron Elgar

May 4, 2021, 10:26:52 AM5/4/21
As I recall, I have come across a couple of game dressing places that
provide freezer storage.

Of course, you'd never know if it is really your game you're getting
back....this can be a problem with any place that does custom, small
scale slaughter or dressing. The guy from Milk Street- Chris Kimball,
raised some heritage breed Berkshire pigs and the place he used for
prep sent him back non-heritage. You'd think if a place were going to
cheat on something like that, they'd would not take on a famous person
connected to cooking shows. Kimball had the resources to get it all
lab tested when he was surprised there was no difference in looks and
taste from regular pork. I've had Berkshire- it looks and tastes
different than run-of-the-mill store pork.

Graham

May 4, 2021, 11:39:49 AM5/4/21
CWD is present in farmed venison. I won't touch it.

Boron Elgar

May 4, 2021, 11:44:34 AM5/4/21
Source farm I have gotten things from in Texas say they observe
behavior before harvest and test afterwards..

Prions are so tricky. Now you have made me suspect even of that.

US Janet

May 4, 2021, 11:49:32 AM5/4/21
When did 'last season' end? I don't know what country we are talking
about.
Janet US

Dave Smith

May 4, 2021, 1:22:32 PM5/4/21
That' a good question. I was half kidding about time the elk might have
been sitting out. However, you have to wonder. If the guy is an avid
hunter who eats what he kills it seems odd he has meat left over.

Graham

May 4, 2021, 2:35:38 PM5/4/21
That's good! It has been reported on Alberta farms and once it's there,
that farm must close its operation, AIUI. It has been spreading in the
wild population like wildfire.
After being shut in with this pandemic, I could do with a bit of
wasting, or is it waisting disease!

Dave Smith

May 4, 2021, 2:41:17 PM5/4/21
Maybe you should try the heart and stroke diet that I followed closely
for about four months. A lot of the recipes are vegetarian and the
others have only small amounts of meat. I dropped two pant sizes and
was not hungry. Most of the recipes are delicious. My wife, who loves
meat, liked them so much she didn't miss the meat. She had no need to
lose weight but dropped about 12 pounds.

Graham

May 4, 2021, 2:55:54 PM5/4/21
All I really need to do is cut out bread and wine. As I live alone,
cooking fancy recipes every day is too much bother.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:10:40 PM5/4/21
If it means less redneck hunting, isn't that a good thing?

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:13:37 PM5/4/21
Is there any CWD in tofu?

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:14:48 PM5/4/21
Dave's from Canada.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:26:13 PM5/4/21
No meat is better for the animal, better for the environment and better
for you.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:47:41 PM5/4/21

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:48:10 PM5/4/21

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:48:24 PM5/4/21

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:49:25 PM5/4/21

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:49:39 PM5/4/21

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:51:20 PM5/4/21
Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-05-03 8:08 p.m., Daniel wrote:
> > A friend of mine gifted a bunch of axis deer backstrap as well as a
> > load of other really good meat. Creme de la creme as they say. I've
> > never had deer much less axis deer that he hunted in hawaii.
> >
> > I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
> > overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild
> > game meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?
> >
> > I would not want to mess this up regardless, but it gives alot more
> > weight for me personally that he's dying of cancer. He was making
> > room in his game freezers for a few elk that he killed last season.
> >
> > I've had the meat now for about a month but it seems high time to
> > pull some out to grill.
> >

> He killed the elk last season and he is just making room for them in
> the freezer now? I think I would pass on the free meat.

Ophelia

May 4, 2021, 4:28:08 PM5/4/21
On Tue, 4 May 2021 13:22:24 -0400, Dave Smith
Do you realize how much fucking meat is on an elk?

Jim Lahey

May 4, 2021, 5:32:23 PM5/4/21
On 4 May 2021 19:26:07 GMT, "Dr. Bruce" <drb...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
No scientific evidence to support your lies. You're just another
version of a flat-earther. Or even just a religious or cult nutcase,
no difference.

Daniel

May 4, 2021, 10:28:19 PM5/4/21
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> writes:

> On 2021-05-03 8:08 p.m., Daniel wrote:
>> A friend of mine gifted a bunch of axis deer backstrap as well as a load
>> of other really good meat. Creme de la creme as they say. I've never had
>> deer much less axis deer that he hunted in hawaii.
>>
>> I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
>> overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild game
>> meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?
>>
>> I would not want to mess this up regardless, but it gives alot more weight
>> for me personally that he's dying of cancer. He was making room in his
>> game freezers for a few elk that he killed last season.
>>
>> I've had the meat now for about a month but it seems high time to pull
>> some out to grill.
>>

> He killed the elk last season and he is just making room for them in
> the freezer now? I think I would pass on the free meat.

Now, maybe it was two months ago. Time flies. They were hunted up in
Montana. The kills are kept there and stored in freezers until the end
of the season. Then the butcher operation cuts and quarters the meat to
put in vacuum packed bags and frozen. At the end of the season, they are
packed in freezer trucks and driven to the hunters to be delivered. The
driver starts along the west coast and delivers on the route down. They
work east.

I've had Elk at his house for BBQ. Delicious.

I grilled the backstrap last night with a rub I usually put on steak. I
will never forget the experience. What tasty meat that was.

He also gave me duck from last season. I don't mind food that's been
frozen for months. I eat it all the time. But, maybe I'm not as fancy as
you.

--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 4:21:28 AM5/5/21
===

I didn't write that!

Dr Bruce

May 5, 2021, 4:45:31 AM5/5/21
LOL

Gary

May 5, 2021, 10:32:13 AM5/5/21
On 5/4/2021 1:22 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> That' a good question. I was half kidding about time the elk might have
> been sitting out. However, you have to wonder. If the guy is an avid
> hunter who eats what he kills it seems odd he has meat left over.

I know a guy that loves duck hunting season each year. He rarely eats
them, he just loves to kill them then try to give them away.

bruce bowser

May 6, 2021, 4:06:13 AM5/6/21
If you baste duck in red wine while baking, its good. Look up canard au vin rouge.

cshenk

May 6, 2021, 7:22:59 PM5/6/21
Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2021-05-03 8:08 p.m., Daniel wrote:
> > A friend of mine gifted a bunch of axis deer backstrap as well as a
> > load of other really good meat. Creme de la creme as they say. I've
> > never had deer much less axis deer that he hunted in hawaii.
> >
> > I was told that it's easy to overcook and that it comes out pasty if
> > overdone. So, with that in mind, anyone with experience with wild
> > game meat have tips for me to prevent this mishap?
> >
> > I would not want to mess this up regardless, but it gives alot more
> > weight for me personally that he's dying of cancer. He was making
> > room in his game freezers for a few elk that he killed last season.
> >
> > I've had the meat now for about a month but it seems high time to
> > pull some out to grill.
> >

> He killed the elk last season and he is just making room for them in
> the freezer now? I think I would pass on the free meat.

If properly vaccumn sealed, not an issue at 1 year.

Leo

May 6, 2021, 8:25:21 PM5/6/21
On 2021 May 5, , Gary wrote
(in article <s6ua98$lfp$4...@dont-email.me>):

> I know a guy that loves duck hunting season each year. He rarely eats
> them, he just loves to kill them then try to give them away.

They are hard to give away unless they´re cleaned and picked. Skinning is
less desirable but may work. Most people shy away from the "Hey! You wanna
duck?" line, unless the duck look like meat.

Gary

May 8, 2021, 6:56:11 AM5/8/21
I don't mind the cleaning work but with this guy, I got ducks shot one
morning...not field dressed and left sitting a plastic bag for a day and
a half in fairly warm weather. No thanks.

I even told him once that he should just buy a good duck-hunting video
game. heheh

Daniel

May 13, 2021, 6:52:14 PM5/13/21
All the birds are cleaned, gutted, etc. They are vacuum packed and
frozen. All the duck he's given me are loong gone. Some I cooked/ate,
some I bartered with a neighbor for veggies in his garden and lemons
from his tree.

Last year, after hunting hogs, he sent the carcass to a local
butcher. He shared some of it with me, in the form of the best sausage
I've ever eaten. I was glad my wife doesn't like sausage since I ate all
of it.

I'm in the US by the way.

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 7:40:54 PM5/13/21

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net