Vintage 1950s Recipes - Day 10: Twenty-four Hour Salad

Default User

Sep 17, 2021, 8:51:47 PM9/17/21
If you didn't see it, an explanation for what I'm doing can be found
here:

Vintage 1950s Recipes - Overview
<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/VCOk6Jy4mrc/m/2YqGehvSAA

Twenty-four Hour Salad

2 c. orange sections
2 c. quartered marshmallows
4 c. fruits for salad or fruit cocktail, drained
2 eggs
2 T. sugar
1/4 c. light cream
juice of 1 lemon
1 c. heavy whipping cream

Combine oranges, marshmallows, and salad fruits. Beat eggs, until very
light, gradually add sugar, light cream, and lemon juice. Mix well and
cook in double boiler until smooth and thick, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, cool, then fold in whipped cream. Pour over fruit
mixture and mix lightly. Chill 24 hours in refrigerator. Serve on crisp
lettuce. Serves 10-12.

This is not something I'd heard of before, but there were two very
similar recipes with the same name so I assume it was popular back then.

Look for another recipe tomorrow!

Brian

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2021, 4:32:20 AM9/18/21
On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:51:47 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> If you didn't see it, an explanation for what I'm doing can be found
> here:
>
> Vintage 1950s Recipes - Overview
> <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/VCOk6Jy4mrc/m/2YqGehvSAA
> AJ>
>
> Twenty-four Hour Salad
>
> 2 c. orange sections
> 2 c. quartered marshmallows
> 4 c. fruits for salad or fruit cocktail, drained
> 2 eggs
> 2 T. sugar
> 1/4 c. light cream
> juice of 1 lemon
> 1 c. heavy whipping cream

Gack.

You can give this recipe a 1960s upgrade by substituting Cool Whip
for the dressing.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Sep 18, 2021, 11:22:45 AM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:32:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:51:47 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
>> If you didn't see it, an explanation for what I'm doing can be found
>> here:
>>
>> Vintage 1950s Recipes - Overview
>> <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/VCOk6Jy4mrc/m/2YqGehvSAA
>> AJ>
>>
>> Twenty-four Hour Salad
>>
>> 2 c. orange sections
>> 2 c. quartered marshmallows
>> 4 c. fruits for salad or fruit cocktail, drained
>> 2 eggs
>> 2 T. sugar
>> 1/4 c. light cream
>> juice of 1 lemon
>> 1 c. heavy whipping cream
>
>Gack.

Omit the eggs and it would be very good.

Mike Duffy

Sep 18, 2021, 1:34:49 PM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 01:32:16 -0700, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gack.
>
> You can give this recipe a 1960s upgrade by substituting Cool Whip for
> the dressing.

It actually looks like a promising recipe if you replace the marshmallows
with, well, just about anything else.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2021, 2:10:22 PM9/18/21
I've never thought fruit salad needed anything but fruit, cut up bit
size and mixed together.

This looks like a wintertime recipe, since the only fresh fruit in it is
oranges. Of course, canned mandarins could be substituted.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 18, 2021, 3:07:40 PM9/18/21
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>Gack.
>
>You can give this recipe a 1960s upgrade by substituting Cool Whip
>for the dressing.

While this preceded Cool Whip by some years, a few of the recipes
featured whipped evaporated milk. I'm not sure that would be better
than Cool Whip.

Brian

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2021, 3:39:20 PM9/18/21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 3:32:20 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:51:47 PM UTC-4, Default User wrote:
> >
> > If you didn't see it, an explanation for what I'm doing can be found
> > here:
> >
> > Vintage 1950s Recipes - Overview
> > <https://groups.google.com/g/rec.food.cooking/c/VCOk6Jy4mrc/m/2YqGehvSAA
> > AJ>
> >
> > Twenty-four Hour Salad
> >
> > 2 c. orange sections
> > 2 c. quartered marshmallows
> > 4 c. fruits for salad or fruit cocktail, drained
> > 2 eggs
> > 2 T. sugar
> > 1/4 c. light cream
> > juice of 1 lemon
> > 1 c. heavy whipping cream
> >
> Gack.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Gack is right; eggs and light cream in a fruit salad?? More like BARF!

GM

Sep 18, 2021, 3:51:50 PM9/18/21
Lol...I was gonna say, this is like a recipe for ipecac...

--
GM

Sep 18, 2021, 5:32:10 PM9/18/21
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>Gack is right; eggs and light cream in a fruit salad?? More like
>BARF!

Did you miss the part in the instructions where you make a custard with
those ingredients?

Brian

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2021, 8:15:26 PM9/18/21
It just sounds stomach-churning.

Sep 18, 2021, 8:49:58 PM9/18/21
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 4:32:10 PM UTC-5, Default User
>wrote:
>>
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>
>> >Gack is right; eggs and light cream in a fruit salad?? More like
>> >BARF!
>> >
>> Did you miss the part in the instructions where you make a custard
>>with those ingredients?

>It just sounds stomach-churning.

I mean, tastes differ. In this case, you have a lemon custard mixed
with marshmallows, whipped cream, and fruit. It's a bit rich, almost a
dessert, but nothing off-putting to me. If someone brought this to a
meal, I'd eat some of it.

For me, it's not nearly as unpleasant-sounding as the Jell-o salads
with meat and stuff in them.

Brian

jmcquown

Sep 18, 2021, 9:51:35 PM9/18/21
My Aunt used to make something similar and it called for sour cream, not
eggs, milk and cream. This was in the late 1960's. Mixed fresh diced
fruit (or canned drained fruit cocktail), canned mandarin oranges,
drained, sugar, maybe some mini marshmallows. I think there was some
shredded sweetened coconut stirred in, too. She called it 'Ambrosia/
Fruit Salad'. Some people might claim this is a "Southern" dish. Aunt
Jean had never been to the South when she served this to us while we
were visiting in western Pennsylvania.

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 12:07:23 AM9/19/21
Just whip heavy cream for the same effect, but better. Add just a bit
of sugar before whipping, perhaps a bit of vanilla extract.

Sep 19, 2021, 12:51:30 AM9/19/21
Michael Trew wrote:

>On 9/18/2021 3:07 PM, Default User wrote:
>>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>>Gack.
>>>
>>>You can give this recipe a 1960s upgrade by substituting Cool Whip
>>>for the dressing.
>>
>>While this preceded Cool Whip by some years, a few of the recipes
>>featured whipped evaporated milk. I'm not sure that would be better
>>than Cool Whip.

>Just whip heavy cream for the same effect, but better. Add just a
>bit of sugar before whipping, perhaps a bit of vanilla extract.

I'm struggling to follow. The recipe has whipped cream.

Brian

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 1:02:52 AM9/19/21
My comment was in reference to the recipe pre-dating cool whip.. I was
mentioning making your own cool-whip, sorry for the confusion.

Ophelia

Sep 19, 2021, 3:30:35 AM9/19/21
YOU are stomach-churning.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 19, 2021, 5:48:45 AM9/19/21
It doesn't have whipped cream. It has "whipping cream", aka heavy cream.

I still don't want marshmallows, canned fruit cocktail, and either
custard or whipped cream.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Sep 19, 2021, 10:38:17 AM9/19/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>On Saturday, September 18, 2021 Default User wrote:
>> itsjoan wrote:
>>
>> >Gack is right; eggs and light cream in a fruit salad?? More like
>> >BARF!
>> >
>> Did you miss the part in the instructions where you make a custard with
>> those ingredients?
>>
>> Brian
>>
>It just sounds stomach-churning.

That happens to be a Classic Fruit Salad, actually has a name, and
there are several versions depending on one's imagination:
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19634609/classic-ambrosia-salad-recipe/
I like it to include fresh berries (we had frozen) and toasted
coconut. It was a very popular dessert aboard ship, scoffed down by
the tubsful. Other than apples and oranges we rarely had fresh fruit
at sea but canned works. We didn't have Cool Whip, we suffered
through real whipped cream. I never made it with pudding but I see no
reason that wouldn't work. Yoose make me wonder how many had to make
do with strawberry shortcake made with frozen berries.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 19, 2021, 10:48:32 AM9/19/21
Anchovies.

--Bryan

"If you don’t like tamales, then there must be something wrong with you."
-- https://iamnm.com/traditional-new-mexico-red-chile-tamales/

Gary

Sep 19, 2021, 10:52:47 AM9/19/21
Don't forget those 2 cups of marshmallows.

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 12:34:25 PM9/19/21
On 9/19/2021 10:38 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> We didn't have Cool Whip, we suffered
> through real whipped cream.

Whipped cream is far superior to cool whip.

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 12:50:09 PM9/19/21
LOL!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 19, 2021, 3:48:05 PM9/19/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 9:38:17 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> >
> >It just sounds stomach-churning.
> >
> That happens to be a Classic Fruit Salad, actually has a name, and
> there are several versions depending on one's imagination:
> https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a19634609/classic-ambrosia-salad-recipe/

That in no way resembles classic Ambrosia. Do you not ever glance
at the sites you post here?? This is some nasty concoction he lit upon
at some dubious site.

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2021, 4:36:45 PM9/19/21
"Quartered" marshmallows, to boot! Everyone should spend some time
cutting marshmallows into quarters. Or just buy mini-marshmallows.

Jill

Sep 19, 2021, 5:33:36 PM9/19/21
Michael Trew wrote:

>My comment was in reference to the recipe pre-dating cool whip.. I
>was mentioning making your own cool-whip, sorry for the confusion.

Ah. No problem. It's possible one of the "whipped evaporated milk" ones
will turn up.

Brian

Sep 19, 2021, 5:36:52 PM9/19/21
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>It doesn't have whipped cream. It has "whipping cream", aka heavy
>cream.

I think you missed a step in the directions:

"Remove from heat, cool, then fold in whipped cream."

>I still don't want marshmallows, canned fruit cocktail, and either
>custard or whipped cream.

Fair enough. As I said, tastes vary.

Brian

Sep 19, 2021, 5:39:00 PM9/19/21
jmcquown wrote:

>"Quartered" marshmallows, to boot! Everyone should spend some time
>cutting marshmallows into quarters. Or just buy mini-marshmallows.

The alternate recipe used those.

Brian

Dave Smith

Sep 19, 2021, 5:45:53 PM9/19/21
>Even as a kid I had a lack of interest in marshmallows. I was
traumatized by candied yams and it was years and years before I would
try sweet potatoes again.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 19, 2021, 6:20:01 PM9/19/21
I feel "Sweet Potatoes And I, A Journey" coming up.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 19, 2021, 8:15:26 PM9/19/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 4:45:53 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> Even as a kid I had a lack of interest in marshmallows. I was
> traumatized by candied yams and it was years and years before I would
> try sweet potatoes again.

I LOVE sweet potatoes topped by marshmallows that have been toasted
in the oven. But I'm not a fan of canned sweet potatoes that have marsh-
mallows dumped on the top and toasted.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 19, 2021, 8:18:00 PM9/19/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 5:20:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> I feel "Sweet Potatoes And I, A Journey" coming up.

I got a sweet potato tale that involves marshmallows if you are
interested. It will probably make your hair stand on end as it
does involve a LOT of those puffy sugar bombs.

jmcquown

Sep 19, 2021, 8:34:39 PM9/19/21
There's where you'd lose me, too, because I can't stand sweet potato pie
with marshmallows.

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 19, 2021, 9:46:53 PM9/19/21
I'm getting used to it. Now I'm only still waiting for how y'all
combine your steaks with M&Ms for Sunday dinner.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 19, 2021, 9:47:30 PM9/19/21
On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:34:31 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Yeah, regular potatoes with marshmallows are much better!

Michael Trew

Sep 19, 2021, 10:55:00 PM9/19/21
What's wrong with candied yams? Sounds good to me.

Dave Smith

Sep 19, 2021, 11:15:48 PM9/19/21
The dish I was fed.... once only... was some sort of mashed sweet
potatoes baked with a mess of marshmallow on top. It was disgustingly
sweet.

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 19, 2021, 11:23:16 PM9/19/21
Yes, turned me off sweet potatoes for years. Then I discovered roasted
sweet potatoes and have them at least once a week. I peel, cut into
chunks, toss in olive oil and put them in the pan with whatever I'd
cooking in the oven.

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2021, 12:11:03 AM9/20/21
I can only take so much of a sweet potato dish with marshmallows, very
little. I love fried/roasted sweet potatoes, however.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 12:29:39 AM9/20/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:11:03 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> I can only take so much of a sweet potato dish with marshmallows, very
> little. I love fried/roasted sweet potatoes, however.

They're easier to take if eaten with something savory such as a pork roast
or chops or chicken and dressing, etc. Just to eat them by themselves is
too sweet.

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2021, 12:43:51 AM9/20/21
Fair point; I've only had them on a plate with other things at
Thanksgiving.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 20, 2021, 5:11:05 AM9/20/21
Yes, I acknowledge I didn't read the instructions very closely. I didn't
see a specific instruction to whip the cream, so I missed that it was
implied.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 20, 2021, 5:12:17 AM9/20/21
For me, sweet potatoes are plenty sweet all on their own. No need to
add more. I prefer powdered chipotle chile on my sweet potatoes.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Sep 20, 2021, 9:11:13 AM9/20/21
I prefer sweet potatoes baked in their jackets/skins until the sugar
oozes, good to do that on a foil lined pan or will be difficult to
clean. Scrub with a brush and pare away any rough hairy parts. We
eat the crisp skins, the best part. Marshmallows ruin the flavor of
sweet potatoes. I do like marshmallow cream/topping on a hot fudge
sundae. We also roast winter squash and enjoy their crisp skins too.
In fact we roasted a dozen butternut squash from the garden for dinner
last night and have the left overs to nuke... I'll eat them cold from
the fridge too. They are more flavorful when sliced lengthwise,
deseeded, seasoned with s n p, and grilled on the Weber. The Weber
was on for the sausage patties anyway. The hot squash only needed a
pat of butter. We try to pick the squash small but one or two always
get huge from hiding under the leaves... zukes do likewise. Zukes are
best grilled too. The new monster Weber grills lots of veggies, we
like grilled tomatoes, and I'll grill slabs of sweet onions for me.
I think we use the Weber more for veggies than for meats. Soon we'll
be grilling giant cabbage wedges.

Dave Smith

Sep 20, 2021, 9:23:05 AM9/20/21
There are also good cooked on a grill. Slice them up, toss them in a
little oil, maybe even add a little curry powder, and then grill them on
direct heat. They are delicious.

Hank Rogers

Sep 20, 2021, 11:13:31 AM9/20/21
How big are yoose giant cabbages this year Popeye?

With all the rain, I bet they're about 200 Lbs apiece.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 12:19:12 PM9/20/21
The marshmallows are probably a Southern thang.

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 20, 2021, 1:27:22 PM9/20/21
Maybe. IIRC my mother and grandmother used marshmallows on canned,
candied sweet potatoes. They had a bunch of recipes that used marshmallows,
including what was my favorite dessert when I was a child but now is
tooth-achingly sweet.

Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Sep 20, 2021, 1:54:47 PM9/20/21
I don't know about that because at our first xmas dinner in Canada, our
hosts served what they called a "parfait" to eat WITH the turkey. It
consisted of, inter alia, lime jello and mini marshmellows.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 20, 2021, 3:19:31 PM9/20/21
I wonder if this weird idea of adding an industry produced candy type
thing to your dinner is a New World invention or is derived from
something originally British. Who can I hold responsible?

Michael Trew

Sep 20, 2021, 3:48:33 PM9/20/21
Thank you for starting the inquiry, Bruce... I'm sure you can get to the
bottom of it. I expect the full report on my desk in the morning.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 3:51:25 PM9/20/21
EEK!!!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 4:02:49 PM9/20/21
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 2:19:31 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> I wonder if this weird idea of adding an industry produced candy type
> thing to your dinner is a New World invention or is derived from
> something originally British. Who can I hold responsible?

I dunno. But it's been on every Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner table
since I was child.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 20, 2021, 4:47:38 PM9/20/21
I learnt in this newsgroup that Americans sometimes add chips (crisps)
to their dinner. You know, from the supermarket. O'Lays, for instance,
or whatever the brand names are. That strikes me as trailer trashy,
with all due respect for trailer trash, of course. But at least it's
savoury, whereas marshmallows are a sweet industry concoction. Who
came up with that?

Ok, so the origins of the marshmallow are French.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow) But I think we can credit
the Americans with the strange idea of adding them to a savoury dish.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 20, 2021, 4:49:47 PM9/20/21
Not a very new idea then.

Sep 20, 2021, 5:33:06 PM9/20/21
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>Yes, I acknowledge I didn't read the instructions very closely. I
>didn't see a specific instruction to whip the cream, so I missed that
>it was implied.

As these recipes were contributed by a group of amateur cooks, the
detail of instructions varies considerably. This one actually isn't too
bad, compared to some. See that biscuit recipe from Day 2.

Brian

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 7:25:30 PM9/20/21
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 3:47:38 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> I learnt in this newsgroup that Americans sometimes add chips (crisps)
> to their dinner. You know, from the supermarket. O'Lays, for instance,
> or whatever the brand names are.

The brand is known at Lays.

> That strikes me as trailer trashy,
> with all due respect for trailer trash, of course. But at least it's
> savoury, whereas marshmallows are a sweet industry concoction. Who
> came up with that?

Salty potato chips (crisps) with a hamburger or hotdog are great.

> Ok, so the origins of the marshmallow are French.
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow) But I think we can credit
> the Americans with the strange idea of adding them to a savoury dish.

I can't say that I would consider sweet potatoes as savory. Some might
and maybe they are, but my mind reads them as a sweet vegetable; perfect
for marshmallows!!! Har-har-har

Bruce 3.2

Sep 20, 2021, 7:53:33 PM9/20/21
On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 16:25:27 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 3:47:38 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>>
>> I learnt in this newsgroup that Americans sometimes add chips (crisps)
>> to their dinner. You know, from the supermarket. O'Lays, for instance,
>> or whatever the brand names are.
>>
>The brand is known at Lays.

Yes, that one.

>> That strikes me as trailer trashy,
>> with all due respect for trailer trash, of course. But at least it's
>> savoury, whereas marshmallows are a sweet industry concoction. Who
>> came up with that?
>>
>Salty potato chips (crisps) with a hamburger or hotdog are great.

But from there to marshmallows is still a long and winding road.

>> Ok, so the origins of the marshmallow are French.
>> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshmallow) But I think we can credit
>> the Americans with the strange idea of adding them to a savoury dish.
>>
>I can't say that I would consider sweet potatoes as savory. Some might
>and maybe they are, but my mind reads them as a sweet vegetable; perfect
>for marshmallows!!! Har-har-har

I'm sure you can make a sweet 'sweet potato' pie, but I bet you'd have
to add sugar.

Dave Smith

Sep 20, 2021, 8:46:33 PM9/20/21
I think they are best with curry.

jmcquown

Sep 20, 2021, 8:58:54 PM9/20/21
I agree, roasted or baked sweet potatoes are sweet tasting all on their
own. I generally bake them the same as I do russets - skins rubbed with
butter and sprinkled with salt. Once baked, I add butter to the meat of
the potato and S&P and eat it like a regular baked potato. I've also
had them cut into cubes and boiled along with white potatoes and then
mashed... called "harvest" mashed potatoes. But no, do not add brown
sugar or any other sweet stuff. There's a reason they are called "sweet
potatoes". They don't need any added sugar.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 20, 2021, 9:02:03 PM9/20/21
It never crossed a family dinner table at my house but I've definitely
heard of sweet potato pie with marshmallows. My former MIL probably was
familiar with some such thing. I did my best to avoid eating at her
house. She was a horrible cook.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 20, 2021, 9:05:43 PM9/20/21
You may have my share of curry powder. I do like sweet potatoes cut
into wedges, brushed with a little corn oil, sprinkled with S&P then
onto the grill. Nice!

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 20, 2021, 9:07:26 PM9/20/21
On 9/19/2021 10:54 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/19/2021 5:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> "Quartered" marshmallows, to boot!  Everyone should spend some time
>>> cutting marshmallows into quarters.  Or just buy mini-marshmallows.
>>> Even as a kid I had a lack of interest in marshmallows. I was
>> traumatized by candied yams and it was years and years before I would
>> try sweet potatoes again.
>
> What's wrong with candied yams?  Sounds good to me.

It's the word "candied". Sweet stuff. Sweet potatoes/yams are already
naturally sweet tasting. They definitely don't need marshmallows or
brown sugar or anything else. But hey, if you like extra sweet tasting
food, it works.

Jill

Graham

Sep 20, 2021, 9:27:36 PM9/20/21
It has been many years but I used to mash them and then mix in a handful
of walnuts.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 20, 2021, 11:51:13 PM9/20/21
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 8:27:36 PM UTC-5, Graham wrote:

> It has been many years but I used to mash them and then mix in a handful
> of walnuts.

I've done that and once or twice added raisins but when I do that I leave out
any nuts.

Michael Trew

Sep 21, 2021, 1:39:17 AM9/21/21
On 9/20/2021 4:47 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> O'Lays, for instance,

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJyZESNY54

Or this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKP18BpvX_o

I vote the latter, for the record. I have it on an album somewhere.
Yes, vinyl.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 21, 2021, 2:51:50 AM9/21/21
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 01:39:14 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/20/2021 4:47 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> O'Lays, for instance,
>
>This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJyZESNY54

A universal anthem.

>Or this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKP18BpvX_o
>
>I vote the latter, for the record. I have it on an album somewhere.
>Yes, vinyl.

The second one's not available for me for some reason. Geoblocking
probably.

Michael Trew

Sep 21, 2021, 12:18:34 PM9/21/21
On 9/21/2021 2:51 AM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 01:39:14 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/20/2021 4:47 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>>> O'Lays, for instance,
>>
>> This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJyZESNY54
>
> A universal anthem.

Well, it's called soccer around here ;)

>> Or this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKP18BpvX_o
>>
>> I vote the latter, for the record. I have it on an album somewhere.
>> Yes, vinyl.
>
> The second one's not available for me for some reason. Geoblocking
> probably.

It's Buster Poindexter - Hot hot hot

Ophelia

Sep 21, 2021, 1:50:55 PM9/21/21
On 19/09/2021 23:19, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:45:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> "Quartered" marshmallows, to boot!  Everyone should spend some time
>>> cutting marshmallows into quarters.  Or just buy mini-marshmallows.
>>> Even as a kid I had a lack of interest in marshmallows. I was
>> traumatized by candied yams and it was years and years before I would
>> try sweet potatoes again.
>
> I feel "Sweet Potatoes And I, A Journey" coming up.

> lol

Bruce 3.2

Sep 21, 2021, 2:59:13 PM9/21/21
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:18:31 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 9/21/2021 2:51 AM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 01:39:14 -0400, Michael Trew
>> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>>> This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJyZESNY54
>>
>> A universal anthem.
>
>Well, it's called soccer around here ;)

I know. In Australia too, I think. Strange to use the word football
for a sport that's not played with a ball, nor with the feet.

>>> Or this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKP18BpvX_o
>>>
>>> I vote the latter, for the record. I have it on an album somewhere.
>>> Yes, vinyl.
>>
>> The second one's not available for me for some reason. Geoblocking
>> probably.
>
>It's Buster Poindexter - Hot hot hot

You have the hots for Buster Pointdexter, whoever that is? Don't tell
Greg. He hates gays, even though he is one.

dsi1

Sep 21, 2021, 3:38:50 PM9/21/21
That guy's a real doll. I used to have a Vox Mark VI teardrop guitar. Boy, I wish I didn't sell that thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvmvMFXWzc8

Ophelia

Sep 21, 2021, 4:02:44 PM9/21/21
On 20/09/2021 02:46, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 17:17:57 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 5:20:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>>>
>>> I feel "Sweet Potatoes And I, A Journey" coming up.
>>>
>> I got a sweet potato tale that involves marshmallows if you are
>> interested. It will probably make your hair stand on end as it
>> does involve a LOT of those puffy sugar bombs.
>
> I'm getting used to it. Now I'm only still waiting for how y'all
> combine your steaks with M&Ms for Sunday dinner.

===

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww:(

Bruce 3.2

Sep 21, 2021, 4:13:55 PM9/21/21
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 21:02:39 +0100, Ophelia <Oph...@elsinore.me.uk>
wrote:
lol

Michael Trew

Sep 22, 2021, 12:44:10 AM9/22/21
On 9/21/2021 2:59 PM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:18:31 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>
>> On 9/21/2021 2:51 AM, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

>>> A universal anthem.
>>
>> Well, it's called soccer around here ;)
>
> I know. In Australia too, I think. Strange to use the word football
> for a sport that's not played with a ball, nor with the feet.

I did find that strange as well.

>>> The second one's not available for me for some reason. Geoblocking
>>> probably.
>>
>> It's Buster Poindexter - Hot hot hot
>
> You have the hots for Buster Pointdexter, whoever that is? Don't tell
> Greg. He hates gays, even though he is one.

It's a song, look it up. The beginning lyrics sound quite similar to
your "universal anthem".

Gary

Sep 22, 2021, 7:57:31 AM9/22/21
Bruce 3.2 wrote:
> I'm sure you can make a sweet 'sweet potato' pie, but I bet you'd have
> to add sugar.

I make them occasionally. Use fresh cooked sweet potatoes, then add the
seasonings for a "pumpkin pie." Same exact recipe and the taste is also
similar. Might be a little brown sugar added but I don't remember now.
Dessert food is traditionally sweet so sugar often added. Don't like
sugar, avoid desserts.

Doing the filling from scratch, might as well make your own superior
homemade crust too.

If not, just buy a premade pie from the store. They taste good enough as
long as you don't mind the extra chemicals that are always added.

Gary

Sep 22, 2021, 7:58:21 AM9/22/21
On 9/20/2021 8:58 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/20/2021 5:12 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 8:15:26 PM UTC-4,
>> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>>> I LOVE sweet potatoes topped by marshmallows that have been toasted
>>> in the oven. But I'm not a fan of canned sweet potatoes that have marsh-
>>> mallows dumped on the top and toasted.
>>
>> For me, sweet potatoes are plenty sweet all on their own. No need to
>> add more. I prefer powdered chipotle chile on my sweet potatoes.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> I agree, roasted or baked sweet potatoes are sweet tasting all on their
> own. I generally bake them the same as I do russets - skins rubbed with
> butter and sprinkled with salt. Once baked, I add butter to the meat of
> the potato and S&P and eat it like a regular baked potato.

I generally like them boiled to soft, remove the "jackets" then add
butter and S&P.

Gary

Sep 22, 2021, 7:58:37 AM9/22/21
I used to make them occasionally but never cared for the marshmallow
topping. I tried one old recipe (my Mom sent me) that added canned
sliced peaches to the sp mix. That was a good combination. I made it but
left off the marshmallows.

odlayo

Nov 20, 2021, 12:59:49 PM11/20/21
The disgusting (to me) Thanksgiving classic comes from a highly successful advertising campaign. Here's an interesting article about the introduction of marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes in the early twentieth century.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/marshmallows-sweet-potato-casserole-how-thanksgiving

jmcquown

Nov 20, 2021, 1:23:07 PM11/20/21
Funny, nothing with marshmallows ever showed up on my parents' or
grandparents' tables at Thanksgiving or Christmas. Not in my house, either.

Jill

S Viemeister

Nov 20, 2021, 2:31:15 PM11/20/21
Nor in mine. Ick.

jmcquown

Nov 20, 2021, 2:55:18 PM11/20/21
I've heard of it and seen pictures of it, of course. Not sure where the
ad campaign came in but it certainly didn't come into play in my life.

Jill

dsi1

Nov 20, 2021, 3:12:46 PM11/20/21
On Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:45:53 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Don't forget those 2 cups of marshmallows.
> >>

> > "Quartered" marshmallows, to boot! Everyone should spend some time
> > cutting marshmallows into quarters. Or just buy mini-marshmallows.
> >Even as a kid I had a lack of interest in marshmallows. I was
> traumatized by candied yams and it was years and years before I would
> try sweet potatoes again.

That's most unusual for a kid. I wish I could get more toasted marshmallows in my diet. OTOH, maybe it's just because I like fire and burning stuff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JygsekyKzwuCAZn7

Michael Trew

Nov 20, 2021, 9:17:23 PM11/20/21

Bryan Simmons

Nov 21, 2021, 4:00:36 AM11/21/21
They had another article about another disgusting product.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/history-of-spam-hormel-girls

Hormel chili is no doubt the worst brand name chili I've ever tasted.
About 25 years ago, I bought 4 cans BOGOF, and 3 of them got donated.

--Bryan