O. T. - - - Meet Pepper the Cat - - - O.T.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 4:39:20 PM9/13/21

This beautiful thing is 17 months old and belonged to my former co-workers
daughter. She's been spayed and is fully clawed but I haven't seen her here
since yesterday. She's been terrorized by a stranger (me) taking her from
her happy home and is now here and in hiding. I've had many one-sided
conversations with her over the past 24 hours and it would not surprise me
if it takes two weeks or more for her to warm up to me.

In the meantime, she has a clean litter box, water fountain, and food to eat
as well as few toys. She was under the couch yesterday but located to under
my bed overnight. She'll appear when she's ready; it took my former cat, Pema, three weeks to the day to warm up to her new home.

These pictures were made of her a few weeks ago and maybe I can get some more in a few weeks.

https://i.postimg.cc/JzHYkpfQ/Pepper-the-Cat.jpg

GM

Sep 13, 2021, 4:42:44 PM9/13/21
Ah, so sweet...!!!

XOXOXOXOXO :-)
GM

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 5:07:46 PM9/13/21
Cute. The upper body looks short-hair and the lower body looks
long-hair.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 13, 2021, 5:30:32 PM9/13/21
>On Monday, September 13, 2021 itsjoannotjoan wrote:
>> This beautiful thing is 17 months old and belonged to my former co-workers
>> daughter. She's been spayed and is fully clawed.

Do you mean declawed or fully clawed? Declawing is the most horrid
thing one can do to a cat. There is never a reason to declaw a cat...
I'd rather your hands and feet were chopped off.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 13, 2021, 5:35:55 PM9/13/21
And I'd rather you'd died on that floor, but as Mick Jagger said...

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 5:38:06 PM9/13/21
She's fluffy all over.

ItsJoan NotJoAnn

Sep 13, 2021, 5:46:33 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 4:30:32 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

She has ALL her claws. I've got several scratches from her scrambling to
get away from me yesterday; she destroyed the T-shirt I was wearing. It
went straight into the garbage when I got home and I headed straight to
the Merthiolate. She wasn't mean, just terrified.

Once she settles down I'll clip the tips of her claws. Pema, my former
declawed cat, would get her back claws snipped about every three weeks.
As she never went outside, she did not wear them down.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 6:35:46 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 13:39:16 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

Pretty, she'll warm up to you! Why did they give her away?

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 6:39:23 PM9/13/21
I trim my cats claws, but only the front claws if you watch a cat, it
never uses the back claws except for balance when jumping up.

Mike Duffy

Sep 13, 2021, 6:44:58 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:39:17 -0300, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> a cat, it never uses the back claws except for balance

Try grabbing a cat by its front paws and you will see that the back ones
can do their share of scratching.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 7:05:51 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:35:46 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> Pretty, she'll warm up to you! Why did they give her away?

Former co-worker is allergic to cats, it was her daughter's cat and she has
another one but he's been declawed. The daughter is getting new furniture
and was afraid she'd sharpen her claws on it. The boyfriend of former co-worker's
daughter is also allergic to cats plus they've got dogs, too. Too many animals if
you ask me.

jmcquown

Sep 13, 2021, 7:17:08 PM9/13/21
OMG! She's adorable! You know what to do. Just give her her space and
let her come to you when she is comfortable. She's moving closer and
starting to explore so that's a good sign. :) She knows where the food
and water and the litter is. Talk to her softly and go about your
routine. She'll figure it out.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 13, 2021, 7:18:19 PM9/13/21
Need glasses? She wrote fully clawed.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 13, 2021, 7:25:15 PM9/13/21
That's an excellent question.

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 13, 2021, 7:34:08 PM9/13/21
On 9/13/2021 7:05 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:35:46 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>
>> Pretty, she'll warm up to you! Why did they give her away?
>>
> Former co-worker is allergic to cats, it was her daughter's cat and she has
> another one but he's been declawed. The daughter is getting new furniture
> and was afraid she'd sharpen her claws on it.

There's that annoying as hell furniture thing! They make double-sided
clear sticky tape in wide strips you can place on the sides and corners
of fabric furniture where they like to scratch. Cats don't like to
touch sticky tape. But oh, the fabric and furniture is more important
than the cat! No, it's not. Have they never heard of scratching posts
or cardboard scratching posts?

> The boyfriend of former co-worker's
> daughter is also allergic to cats plus they've got dogs, too. Too many animals if
> you ask me.

Oh goody, there's a boyfriend involved. <snork>

I'm sure glad you took in Pepper. Give her some time, talk softly to
her. Tap your fingers nearby occasionally and then walk away. Go to
bed as usual. She'll show up sooner rather than later. :)

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:35:17 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 14:46:30 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoAnn
<itsjoan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you mean declawed or fully clawed? Declawing is the most horrid
>> thing one can do to a cat. There is never a reason to declaw a cat...
>> I'd rather your hands and feet were chopped off.
>>
>She has ALL her claws.

Good on you.

>I've got several scratches from her scrambling to
>get away from me yesterday; she destroyed the T-shirt I was wearing. It
>went straight into the garbage when I got home and I headed straight to
>the Merthiolate. She wasn't mean, just terrified.
>
>Once she settles down I'll clip the tips of her claws. Pema, my former
>declawed cat, would get her back claws snipped about every three weeks.
>As she never went outside, she did not wear them down.

Our cats never go outside and we never clip their claws. But they
rarely scratch us and they don't seem to need it.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 8:35:45 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 6:17:08 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> OMG! She's adorable! You know what to do. Just give her her space and
> let her come to you when she is comfortable. She's moving closer and
> starting to explore so that's a good sign. :) She knows where the food
> and water and the litter is. Talk to her softly and go about your
> routine. She'll figure it out.
>
> Jill

My former co-worker called today to see how she's doing. I said she had used
the litter box, and ate a little, and there's been a lot of one-sided conversations
here. Hahahahahaaaaa

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:37:00 PM9/13/21
I don't know what y'all do to your cats that you need protection from
being scratched by sharp claws.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:37:28 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:18:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
.
I also wasn't sure what she meant by that, sergeant Jill.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 8:38:54 PM9/13/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 6:34:08 PM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> I'm sure glad you took in Pepper. Give her some time, talk softly to
> her. Tap your fingers nearby occasionally and then walk away. Go to
> bed as usual. She'll show up sooner rather than later. :)
>
> Jill

I was wavering a little bit but when she said if I hadn't taken her then
she was going to take her to a shelter I said I'm on my way.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:42:13 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:34:01 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 9/13/2021 7:05 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:35:46 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>>
>>> Pretty, she'll warm up to you! Why did they give her away?
>>>
>> Former co-worker is allergic to cats, it was her daughter's cat and she has
>> another one but he's been declawed. The daughter is getting new furniture
>> and was afraid she'd sharpen her claws on it.
>
>There's that annoying as hell furniture thing! They make double-sided
>clear sticky tape in wide strips you can place on the sides and corners
>of fabric furniture where they like to scratch. Cats don't like to
>touch sticky tape. But oh, the fabric and furniture is more important
>than the cat! No, it's not. Have they never heard of scratching posts
>or cardboard scratching posts?

Our female uses the door mat for scratching. That's ok. They're
replaceable. Our male uses a scratch pad. When I get up in the
morning, he has a celebratory scratch because he knows food's coming.
Those things are easily replaceable too when they start to fall apart.
They rarely scratch any furniture.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 13, 2021, 8:44:38 PM9/13/21
Pema would jump on the end of the couch and walk across me to get to the
other end. Those back claws were like hypodermic needles!!

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:46:54 PM9/13/21
I can never go into one of those shelter places. I'd come out with 9
dogs, 11 cats and a bat.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 13, 2021, 8:49:53 PM9/13/21
Yes, then you have to do it. Our cats don't get that for some reason.
Maybe because half of the area that they have continuous access to has
tile floors.

jmcquown

Sep 13, 2021, 9:04:29 PM9/13/21
Do what you normally do. Type on your computer. Watch some TV or
whatever. Go about your business. When you're ready to go to bed tell
the cat if it's okay for her follow and to get up. She may not venture
that way but you don't know. Tap your fingers if you want her to come
up. Then you go to sleep. Believe me, I know about one-sided
converstations with cats. They usually like to sleep where it is nice
and comfy and not scary and figure it out pretty quickly.

Jill

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 9:19:55 PM9/13/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 22:44:53 -0000 (UTC), Mike Duffy
<bo...@nosuch.com> wrote:

Yes, but they don't scratch furniture etc with back claws.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 9:20:37 PM9/13/21
Sounds like lol

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 9:23:10 PM9/13/21
Good for you!

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 9:23:57 PM9/13/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:42:08 +1000, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Agreed, scratching posts are a good thing!

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 13, 2021, 9:25:19 PM9/13/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:46:49 +1000, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Yes, I took a friend to pick up her cat. She was surprised I wasn't
coming in with her but I knew it would be too dangerous.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 1:27:08 AM9/14/21
On 9/13/2021 8:44 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> Those back claws were like hypodermic needles!!

Ugh... enough said.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 1:27:56 AM9/14/21
I was thrown off by that as well. I've never heard someone mention
claws unless they were removed.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 1:31:47 AM9/14/21
On 9/13/2021 7:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/13/2021 7:05 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 5:35:46 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>>>
>>> Pretty, she'll warm up to you! Why did they give her away?
>>>
>> Former co-worker is allergic to cats, it was her daughter's cat and
>> she has
>> another one but he's been declawed. The daughter is getting new furniture
>> and was afraid she'd sharpen her claws on it.
>
> There's that annoying as hell furniture thing! They make double-sided
> clear sticky tape in wide strips you can place on the sides and corners
> of fabric furniture where they like to scratch. Cats don't like to touch
> sticky tape. But oh, the fabric and furniture is more important than the
> cat! No, it's not. Have they never heard of scratching posts or
> cardboard scratching posts?

Hmm... I've never heard of the sticky tape method before. My cat
rarely, if ever, bothers the furniture. That's part of the reason that
I have old furniture here. My living room set is an ugly mid-century
set, original fabric quite frayed. It's extremely comfortable, however.

>> The boyfriend of former co-worker's
>> daughter is also allergic to cats plus they've got dogs, too. Too many
>> animals if
>> you ask me.
>>
> Oh goody, there's a boyfriend involved. <snork>

I've had a slight cat allergy since I was little, and I noticed it's
worse when I lived in my house for almost a year with no pets before I
adopted my car. Overtime, I became used to it, and her fur/dander
doesn't bother me much. I'm sure said boyfriend would have been fine
unless it was a serious allergy. Keep the floors clean, and brush the
cat regularly.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 1:33:21 AM9/14/21
I have a tall "cat tower" thing that a family member gave me, used. My
cat likes to perch on it, and I'm pretty sure she scratches at it. I
don't see any evidence of the furniture being used, anyway.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 1:34:57 AM9/14/21
I can't keep my cat away from me at night if I try. I woke up to a cat
on my face once or twice. I attempted to keep the bedroom door shut,
but she cried on the other side until I opened it. Guilt tripped by a
cat.. heh

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 14, 2021, 6:53:12 AM9/14/21
Don't you know the saying that 'Dogs have owners, cats have slaves' -?

Gary

Sep 14, 2021, 8:42:04 AM9/14/21
On 9/13/2021 4:39 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> This beautiful thing is 17 months old and belonged to my former co-workers
> daughter. She's been spayed and is fully clawed but I haven't seen her here
> since yesterday. She's been terrorized by a stranger (me) taking her from
> her happy home and is now here and in hiding. I've had many one-sided
> conversations with her over the past 24 hours and it would not surprise me
> if it takes two weeks or more for her to warm up to me.
>
> In the meantime, she has a clean litter box, water fountain, and food to eat
> as well as few toys. She was under the couch yesterday but located to under
> my bed overnight. She'll appear when she's ready; it took my former cat, Pema, three weeks to the day to warm up to her new home.
>
> These pictures were made of her a few weeks ago and maybe I can get some more in a few weeks.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JzHYkpfQ/Pepper-the-Cat.jpg

Good for you, Joan. Even better for the cat! :)

Gary

Sep 14, 2021, 8:42:21 AM9/14/21
Lucretia Borgia wrote:
> Agreed, scratching posts are a good thing!

But only if they use it. I still have one. My cat ignored it...he
preferred my LP collection when I wasn't home.

Later on, the ferrets loved it. They used it to climb onto my bed, then
from the bed used a carpeted ramp to get into their cage.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 14, 2021, 11:12:51 AM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:37:23 +1000, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Saying a cat is "fully clawed" is meaningless gibberish, it goes
without saying that cats have claws.

Jill's communication style has always been purposefully
unclear so as to feed her argumentitive style. No one ever says a cat
is "fully clawed"... everyone says a cat is declawed or they say
nothing regarding claws. I've had cats all my life, often several at
a time... this is the first time I'm hearing "fully clawed"... fully
clawed averse to what, partially clawed... no such thing. When a cat
is declawed the first joint of each toe is amputated, and then it is
no longer a cat... same as a female who undergoes a hysterectomy is no
longer a womban. In many civilized countries it's illegal to declaw a
cat.

Sheldon Martin

Sep 14, 2021, 12:37:08 PM9/14/21
The best cat scratching posts are free. A large tree limb works
beautifully, just stand it up in the corner of a room... I have two in
the basement. A large corrogated carton rolled up and held with
packaging tape works well too. Those elaborate things sold at pet
shops for big bucks don't really work to prevent a cat from scratching
furniture, they are more an expensive POS that cats hardly look at. We
have four of those cardboard trays filled with corrogated cardboard
that our cats love to destroy, but very easy to vacuum up the bits
each morning... inexpensive and last for months.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 2:30:45 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:12:44 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:37:23 +1000, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:18:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Need glasses? She wrote fully clawed.
>>.
>>I also wasn't sure what she meant by that, sergeant Jill.
>
>Saying a cat is "fully clawed" is meaningless gibberish, it goes
>without saying that cats have claws.
>
>Jill's communication style has always been purposefully
>unclear so as to feed her argumentitive style.

It wasn't Jill who said it.

>No one ever says a cat
>is "fully clawed"... everyone says a cat is declawed or they say
>nothing regarding claws. I've had cats all my life, often several at
>a time... this is the first time I'm hearing "fully clawed"... fully
>clawed averse to what, partially clawed... no such thing. When a cat
>is declawed the first joint of each toe is amputated, and then it is
>no longer a cat...

A little misunderstanding, nothing more. The main thing is that the
cat has all its claws.

>same as a female who undergoes a hysterectomy is no
>longer a womban.

Does the same apply to a man who's losing his brain?

> In many civilized countries it's illegal to declaw a
>cat.

I agree. If you can't deal with the claws, just don't get a cat.

dsi1

Sep 14, 2021, 2:32:22 PM9/14/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 10:39:20 AM UTC-10, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> This beautiful thing is 17 months old and belonged to my former co-workers
> daughter. She's been spayed and is fully clawed but I haven't seen her here
> since yesterday. She's been terrorized by a stranger (me) taking her from
> her happy home and is now here and in hiding. I've had many one-sided
> conversations with her over the past 24 hours and it would not surprise me
> if it takes two weeks or more for her to warm up to me.
>
> In the meantime, she has a clean litter box, water fountain, and food to eat
> as well as few toys. She was under the couch yesterday but located to under
> my bed overnight. She'll appear when she's ready; it took my former cat, Pema, three weeks to the day to warm up to her new home.
>
> These pictures were made of her a few weeks ago and maybe I can get some more in a few weeks.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JzHYkpfQ/Pepper-the-Cat.jpg

The place has several cats that hang around the parking lot. The other day the Siamese from the parking lot approached our door as I went inside. It was a surprise since it looked like it was going to enter our house. Our cat was watching the Siamese intently as it was approaching. I think our male cat was frozen with terror at impending doom. I closed the door because I don't want another cat entering the house. As soon as the door closed, our cat jumped up and fled in a panic, skidding and running into stuff. I didn't know he was such a fraidy cat.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8SCpTL5JwN3EtW8X7

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2021, 2:40:49 PM9/14/21
wrote:

> These pictures were made of her a few weeks ago and maybe I can get some more in a few weeks.
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/JzHYkpfQ/Pepper-the-Cat.jpg

Too much fur. Only DSH's for me.

-sw

Sqwertz

Sep 14, 2021, 2:46:38 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:12:44 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:37:23 +1000, Bruce 3.2 <Bro...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:18:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>>wrote:

>>>Need glasses? She wrote fully clawed.
>>.
>>I also wasn't sure what she meant by that, sergeant Jill.
>
> Saying a cat is "fully clawed" is meaningless gibberish, it goes
> without saying that cats have claws.
>
> Jill's communication style has always been purposefully
> unclear so as to feed her argumentitive style. No one ever says a cat
> is "fully clawed"...

You said it in your original response - as if you didn't even read
what she wrote. And now you're just backpedaling.

-sw

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 2:47:25 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:40:48 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Dallas Short Hair?

bruce bowser

Sep 14, 2021, 3:15:42 PM9/14/21
On Monday, September 13, 2021 at 4:39:20 PM UTC-4, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> This beautiful thing is 17 months old and belonged to my former co-workers
> daughter. She's been spayed and is fully clawed but I haven't seen her here
> since yesterday. She's been terrorized by a stranger (me) taking her from
> her happy home and is now here and in hiding. I've had many one-sided
> conversations with her over the past 24 hours and it would not surprise me
> if it takes two weeks or more for her to warm up to me.
>
> In the meantime, she has a clean litter box, water fountain, and food to eat
> as well as few toys.

I bet she'll love the no-seasoning baked fish other seafood, chicken and turkey she could get.

Graham

Sep 14, 2021, 3:46:18 PM9/14/21
Dmitri Shostakovich?

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2021, 5:06:09 PM9/14/21
On 9/14/2021 1:31 AM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/13/2021 7:34 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/13/2021 7:05 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

>>> Former co-worker is allergic to cats, it was her daughter's cat and
>>> she has
>>> another one but he's been declawed. The daughter is getting new
>>> furniture
>>> and was afraid she'd sharpen her claws on it.
>>
>> There's that annoying as hell furniture thing! They make double-sided
>> clear sticky tape in wide strips you can place on the sides and corners
>> of fabric furniture where they like to scratch. Cats don't like to touch
>> sticky tape. But oh, the fabric and furniture is more important than the
>> cat! No, it's not. Have they never heard of scratching posts or
>> cardboard scratching posts?
>
> Hmm... I've never heard of the sticky tape method before.  My cat
> rarely, if ever, bothers the furniture.  That's part of the reason that
> I have old furniture here.  My living room set is an ugly mid-century
> set, original fabric quite frayed.  It's extremely comfortable, however.

When Buffy first came to live with me she started scratching the backs
of the chairs in the living room. I mentioned it to my neighbor, who
had had cats most of her life. She went into her garage and handed me a
big roll (it's about 12 inches wide) of double-sided sticky tape. "Put
that on the parts of the furniture she likes to scratch." It did the
trick. But yes, I also got some cardboard scratchers.

My first cat, Persia, was front declawed by whoever owned her before so
I didn't have any scratching posts... I hadn't really had to think about
it before. This is a pic of Persia in the carpeted barrel; you can see
the thick wooden stands which Buffy later used as a scratching post:

https://i.postimg.cc/Rh0zgGwn/persiabarrel.jpg

Jill
Jill

jmcquown

Sep 14, 2021, 5:19:36 PM9/14/21
Domestic Short Hair. IOW, not an exotic (purebred) type of cat, just a
short haired moggy/moggie. :)

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 5:22:25 PM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:19:28 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Oh Domestic, thanks.

Bryan Simmons

Sep 14, 2021, 6:01:44 PM9/14/21
You mean Kuthe?

> > In many civilized countries it's illegal to declaw a
> >cat.
> I agree. If you can't deal with the claws, just don't get a cat.

No one who claims to be vegetarian for ethical reasons should
own an obligate carnivore.

--Bryan

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 6:06:44 PM9/14/21
.
No, I don't share your obsession.
.
>> > In many civilized countries it's illegal to declaw a
>> >cat.
>> I agree. If you can't deal with the claws, just don't get a cat.
>>
>No one who claims to be vegetarian for ethical reasons should
>own an obligate carnivore.
.
Meat eaters have no morals, should not use the word "ethical" and
should not preach to vegetarians :)

dsi1

Sep 14, 2021, 6:25:20 PM9/14/21
Sacre bleu!

Bruce 3.2

Sep 14, 2021, 6:34:07 PM9/14/21
.
Oh, that was a bit over the top, wasn't it?

Hank Rogers

Sep 14, 2021, 7:13:08 PM9/14/21
You can do better than that. Hell, it's not even french.

Hank Rogers

Sep 14, 2021, 7:14:22 PM9/14/21
Hush yo mouth before you get Popeye excited.

Hank Rogers

Sep 14, 2021, 7:17:42 PM9/14/21
Yep, he should stick to sniffing asses.

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 11:54:32 PM9/14/21
It wasn't Jill that said "fully clawed", it was Joan. Otherwise,
Sheldon's comment rings true. Perhaps he mistakenly said "Jill".. Joan
is naturally argumentative ;)

Michael Trew

Sep 14, 2021, 11:55:53 PM9/14/21
My father's cats didn't like those cardboard ones. Someone told use to
sprinkle dried catnip into it, and then they wouldn't leave it alone.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 12:01:13 AM9/15/21
Very cute kitty! When I adopted my cat, I went to the shelter and asked
if they had a cat that had been declawed. I would never do that to a
cat, but I figured if they had one, I could provide it with a safe home,
single pet, where it wouldn't have to worry about defending its self.

They didn't have one at the time, so I adopted mine, 4-5 years old. I
wanted one that had been there a while, and the poor thing hated it
there. She was miserable and didn't show well, because she hates other
cats. She might look angry, but she is the most social, sweetest cat
I've ever seen since I took her home. Her name is Rosie.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jCPPqjz

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 12:01:45 AM9/15/21
I have heard that, I suppose it's true!

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 12:03:10 AM9/15/21
There are strays around my dad's house that are very friendly. He lives
near a farm, I think people just drop off unwanted house pets,
unfortunately. He's had random cats just waltz into the house before
when no one was paying attention.

Mike Duffy

Sep 15, 2021, 12:50:35 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:01:41 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:

> I have heard that, I suppose it's true!

Once upon a time, a barn caught fire, and a horse, a dog, and a cat
perished.

They all appeared in Heaven at the same time in front of the holy throne
of God, and God asked them to explain themselves.

The horse answered: "I have spent my whole life toiling for my master,
even when he did not feed or shelter me properly". God said: "Get ye
behind my throne, that ye may give me thy strength when I need it. You
will never want again for food nor shelter."

The dog answered: "I have spent my whole life protecting and loving my
master, even when he got drunk and kicked me around". God said: "Get ye
beside my throne, that ye may give me companionship when I need it". You
will never again want for respect nor attention."

The cat answered: "I believe you are sitting in my chair."

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 12:56:38 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:01:08 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>Very cute kitty! When I adopted my cat, I went to the shelter and asked
>if they had a cat that had been declawed. I would never do that to a
>cat, but I figured if they had one, I could provide it with a safe home,
>single pet, where it wouldn't have to worry about defending its self.
>
>They didn't have one at the time, so I adopted mine, 4-5 years old. I
>wanted one that had been there a while, and the poor thing hated it
>there. She was miserable and didn't show well, because she hates other
>cats. She might look angry, but she is the most social, sweetest cat
>I've ever seen since I took her home. Her name is Rosie.
>
>https://postimg.cc/gallery/jCPPqjz

She's pretty and looks quite mellow to me.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 15, 2021, 7:05:39 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:01:08 -0400, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

snippage

>Very cute kitty! When I adopted my cat, I went to the shelter and asked
>if they had a cat that had been declawed. I would never do that to a
>cat, but I figured if they had one, I could provide it with a safe home,
>single pet, where it wouldn't have to worry about defending its self.
>
>They didn't have one at the time, so I adopted mine, 4-5 years old. I
>wanted one that had been there a while, and the poor thing hated it
>there. She was miserable and didn't show well, because she hates other
>cats. She might look angry, but she is the most social, sweetest cat
>I've ever seen since I took her home. Her name is Rosie.
>
>https://postimg.cc/gallery/jCPPqjz

She looks cute and relaxed now! My cat hates other cats too, a friend
died and her cat came to me because her daughter was allergic to cats.
From the minute she arrived I knew I couldn't have two cats, but I did
find a lovely home for her and that was all my friend would have
wanted.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 15, 2021, 7:15:54 AM9/15/21
Meant to add this

https://postimg.cc/0z8sszN5

Gary

Sep 15, 2021, 8:44:03 AM9/15/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> I agree. If you can't deal with the claws, just don't get a cat.

> No one who claims to be vegetarian for ethical reasons should
> own an obligate carnivore.

That's a good point, Bryan

bruce bowser

Sep 15, 2021, 12:34:24 PM9/15/21
High and mighty Bryan doesn't know what he's talking about. Mosquitoes go in Joan's house. They're carnivores, so why can't a cat be there?

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 1:36:46 PM9/15/21
Yes, she is. The folks at the shelter didn't believe me when I told
them. She just growled and hissed all day there. I don't think I've
ever heard her hiss since I took her home 2 years ago, even when my
daughter tries to carry her around.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 1:37:39 PM9/15/21
That's very nice of you. Yes, she's far more relaxed now. Fortunately,
the strays outside don't agitate her.

Michael Trew

Sep 15, 2021, 1:38:39 PM9/15/21
haha

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 3:17:07 PM9/15/21
Preaching meat eaters don't make sense by definition.

jmcquown

Sep 15, 2021, 7:40:11 PM9/15/21
We can thank Bruce version 3.2 for attempting to muddy the waters;
apparently he didn't understand it either but he's calling me "Sergeant
Jill" in his usual childish manner. What I did was ask Sheldon if he
needs glasses because Joan wrote "fully clawed" and then he asked what
she meant by it. As if it's not as clear as the nose on your face. The
cat has all her claws. DOH!

Jill

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 7:44:57 PM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:40:05 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Several people weren't sure what Joan meant. So she explained.
Question answered, problem solved. But thanks for double checking,
Sergeant Jill!

jmcquown

Sep 15, 2021, 7:45:04 PM9/15/21
Another tuxedo cat! How cute. :)

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 15, 2021, 7:46:14 PM9/15/21
What a pretty grey tabby!

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2021, 7:50:11 PM9/15/21
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:01:13 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> Very cute kitty! When I adopted my cat, I went to the shelter and asked
> if they had a cat that had been declawed. I would never do that to a
> cat, but I figured if they had one, I could provide it with a safe home,
> single pet, where it wouldn't have to worry about defending its self.
>
> They didn't have one at the time, so I adopted mine, 4-5 years old. I
> wanted one that had been there a while, and the poor thing hated it
> there. She was miserable and didn't show well, because she hates other
> cats. She might look angry, but she is the most social, sweetest cat
> I've ever seen since I took her home. Her name is Rosie.
>
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/jCPPqjz

She's beautiful and puts me in mind of Sheldon's "Jilly."

Pepper seems to be rather mellow, at least that's what my former co-worker
said. But they had two other cats and one was dominant and it and the dog
kept Pepper a bit stressed. Once she gets over her trauma being taken from
her home I think she'll be fine. No other cats or dogs here to aggravate her.

I haven't seen her since Sunday, but she's been using the litter box and her
food bowl is empty or almost empty every morning.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2021, 7:53:35 PM9/15/21
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 6:15:54 AM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:

> >She looks cute and relaxed now! My cat hates other cats too, a friend
> >died and her cat came to me because her daughter was allergic to cats.
> >From the minute she arrived I knew I couldn't have two cats, but I did
> >find a lovely home for her and that was all my friend would have
> >wanted.
> >
> Meant to add this
>
> https://postimg.cc/0z8sszN5

Beautiful! There's something so appealing about gray tabbies and they
generally have great personalities.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 15, 2021, 8:01:57 PM9/15/21
She's respecting your privacy.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2021, 8:06:44 PM9/15/21
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 7:01:57 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:50:07 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >Pepper seems to be rather mellow, at least that's what my former co-worker
> >said.
> >
> >I haven't seen her since Sunday, but she's been using the litter box and her
> >food bowl is empty or almost empty every morning.
> >
> She's respecting your privacy.

She's probably plotting my demise.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 15, 2021, 8:53:48 PM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 17:06:40 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 7:01:57 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:50:07 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Pepper seems to be rather mellow, at least that's what my former co-worker
>> >said.
>> >
>> >I haven't seen her since Sunday, but she's been using the litter box and her
>> >food bowl is empty or almost empty every morning.
>> >
>> She's respecting your privacy.
>>
>She's probably plotting my demise.

Likely but the cat I had before this was like that at first. She
stayed under the bed and only came out at night. I knew she came out
then because she ate the food and used the litter box. I looked after
both but didn't hassle her and after about a month she started
appearing.

Sqwertz

Sep 15, 2021, 10:21:57 PM9/15/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:54:28 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:

> On 9/14/2021 2:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 11:12:44 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

>>> Saying a cat is "fully clawed" is meaningless gibberish, it goes
>>> without saying that cats have claws.
>>>
>>> Jill's communication style has always been purposefully
>>> unclear so as to feed her argumentitive style. No one ever says a cat
>>> is "fully clawed"...
>>
>> You said it in your original response - as if you didn't even read
>> what she wrote. And now you're just backpedaling.
>
> It wasn't Jill that said "fully clawed", it was Joan.

I know that. And then Sheldon responded saying the same thing.

-sw

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 15, 2021, 11:48:55 PM9/15/21
I'm thinking 2-3 weeks before she warms up to me. Pema took 3 weeks to
the day before she realized she was not going to end up in the stew pot.
Hahahahahaaaaa

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:10:14 AM9/16/21
Thanks!

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:13:15 AM9/16/21
Yes, I thought she looked like one of Sheldon's cats.

Rosie actually does well with small dogs, she just doesn't like cats for
some reason.

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 1:13:51 AM9/16/21
LOL.. I'm sure you'll see her eventually.

Lucretia Borgia

Sep 16, 2021, 7:17:48 AM9/16/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:48:51 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 7:53:48 PM UTC-5, Lucretia Borgia wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 17:06:40 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>> >She's probably plotting my demise.
>> >
>> Likely but the cat I had before this was like that at first. She
>> stayed under the bed and only came out at night. I knew she came out
>> then because she ate the food and used the litter box. I looked after
>> both but didn't hassle her and after about a month she started
>> appearing.
>>
>I'm thinking 2-3 weeks before she warms up to me. Pema took 3 weeks to
>the day before she realized she was not going to end up in the stew pot.
>Hahahahahaaaaa

It makes me think of the phrase 'curiosity killed the cat' as I
believe the fact that they finally emerge stems from curiosity. It
will work out and you will be happy you took her.

bruce bowser

Sep 16, 2021, 12:55:55 PM9/16/21
No, some cats are just loners. She'll get over it.

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 2:09:37 PM9/16/21
Aww.. poor thing.. lol

We took in a cat temporarily for someone years ago.. step-dad didn't
want a cat in his house, but allowed it in the partially finished
basement. The cat (forgot her name) did whatever she could to hide, and
even tried to hide inside the drywall by hopping up into the ceiling
joists... needless to say, she went straight down into the wall cavity
and was trapped. We thought we were going to have to bust open the
wall, but she eventually climbed the blanket that we lowered down into
the wall. The poor thing stopped trying to hide after that :)

Michael Trew

Sep 16, 2021, 2:35:59 PM9/16/21
On 9/14/2021 6:25 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 12:06:44 PM UTC-10, Bruce 3.2 wrote:
>> Meat eaters have no morals, should not use the word "ethical" and
>> should not preach to vegetarians :)
>
> Sacre bleu!

SD... but...

<https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/09/honolulu-mayor-gives-the-go-ahead-to-remove-stairway-to-heaven/>

Have you climbed these? Looks pretty cool, but not for long.

dsi1

Sep 16, 2021, 3:01:33 PM9/16/21
They should be building it up instead. Those stairs are a major attraction. My daughter has climbed them. She's the adventitious sort. Those stairs would probably kill me. This singer dropped dead on those stairs - too much for his heart I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIpwxHVOlh0

Bruce 3.2

Sep 16, 2021, 3:13:47 PM9/16/21
Make up your mind. Either she's a loner or she'll get over it.

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2021, 4:47:48 PM9/16/21
Neither of my cats liked other cats. I don't know where Persia came
from, she just showed up my back door inside the fenced patio at my
apartment in TN late one afternoon and refused to leave. It was
January, the temps were already plummeting towards the 20's. So I made
a quick run to the drug store down the street and got a litter box, cat
litter and a bag of cat food. I told myself if she was still there when
I got home I'd let her in. She was and I did. She marched in like she
owned the place! I put up fliers in the neighborhood, called the area
vets and the shelter to see if anyone had reported a lost a cat. No one
claimed her. I took her to the vet and they checked for a chip; no
chip. But boy howdy, if she ever saw another cat on the patio she'd go
berserk. She saw one once and started yowling, then she literally
leaped at the sliding screen door and knocked it off the bottom track so
it flapped open like a cat-door. I think she was surprised to find
herself outside again. LOL I wound up buying a baby gate that fit
between the screen and the glass slider so I could open the sliding door
without her being able to knock the screen off the track again to get out.

Here in SC, a neighbor used to let her cats go outside. Buffy did not
like that one bit. Again with the yowling and puffing up like the
proverbial Halloween cat. But she had come from a house with two other
cats and the Tonkinese male ruled the roost. He didn't want either of
the other cats to get to the food, water. Some cats are much happier
being "only" cats.

Jill

Gary

Sep 17, 2021, 7:59:52 AM9/17/21
Dsi1 mentioned this a few years ago and I looked it up and looked at
many pictures. Sounds like a very cool adventure but would certainly get
pretty scary in sections.

Too bad they are going to remove it. Would be nice to maintain it and
let people pay/get a permit to climb it. I forget now why they built it
in the first place.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 1:25:25 PM9/17/21
Something related to WW2 is what I read.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 1:26:50 PM9/17/21
That's what I thought too... maybe they thought it was too dangerous. I
read that it has been illegal to use since the late 80's. I guess some
locals feel that it is a sacred place, and they want it gone as well.
I'd love to see the view at the top, and that would be enough motivation
for me to scale it. The $1k fine for going on it (if caught) seems kind
of rough.. I doubt I'll make it down there before it's gone.. oh well.