fake crab rescue

已查看 122 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

songbird

未读,
2021年5月10日 11:10:112021/5/10
收件人
the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
vegetables and some of the fake crab. it is pretty bland
as far as dishes go as we don't put anything other than a
bit of olive oil and butter in with it. i'm ok with being
able to taste just the vegetables with the hints of salt,
butter and olive oil.

in years past we were able to find brands that didn't have
any fishy taste to them, but then a few years ago all of the
brands we liked that didn't have that off taste to them
weren't available any more so we didn't buy it as often.

so while the dish was edible it wasn't very enjoyable.
this morning i had to do something to it to make it more
edible, i put some sour cream, dried basil and then some
hot sauce on it, mixed it all together and then i finished
it off. the basil and hot sauce did just what they needed
to do. :)

what is really funny is that i do just fine eating canned
tuna, sardines, salmon and even herring steaks and smoked
fish. i also eat fish of other kinds and do ok as long as
they're not super strong fishy tasting but for some reason
i just don't like this fake crab stuff to smell or taste
fishy. i guess i'm spoiled. :)

songbird

Ophelia

未读,
2021年5月10日 11:50:552021/5/10
收件人
=====

Nothing wrong with that:))

Dr Bruce

未读,
2021年5月10日 12:03:262021/5/10
收件人
LOL

Cindy Hamilton

未读,
2021年5月10日 13:14:082021/5/10
收件人
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
> vegetables and some of the fake crab.

My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab

It's never failed me.

Cindy H amilton

Joie MacDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 13:30:202021/5/10
收件人
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> > the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
> > vegetables and some of the fake crab.
>
> My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab

That second "h" shouldn't be there.

--
The real Joie MacDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Sheldon Martin

未读,
2021年5月10日 14:11:422021/5/10
收件人
I despise real crab, why would I try fake crab... even the cats won't
eat it, can't blame them, served crab all I see are their cockaroach
faces.
And I like canned/processed fish; herring, kippers, anchovy, etc... a
favorite is matjes herring, smoked whitefish is sublime.

Joie MacDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 14:21:462021/5/10
收件人
My wife has a tattoo of a shellfish on her inner thigh,
if you would put your ear on it, you can smell the sea.

Bryan Simmons

未读,
2021年5月10日 14:25:422021/5/10
收件人
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:30:20 PM UTC-5, Joie MacDonalds wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
> > On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> > > the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
> > > vegetables and some of the fake crab.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
> That second "h" shouldn't be there.

Fake crab is awful. It's probably more awful if heated. It's not even the
rubbery texture. I could deal with that. It doesn't taste good. The only
time I ever eat fake crab is the tiny, tiny flecks of it in crab rangoon from
the Chinese takeout place.

> --
> The real Joie MacDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

未读,
2021年5月10日 14:37:292021/5/10
收件人
Canned fish is great if it's not tuna or mackeral. Pink salmon is
pretty unappealing too. I buy kippers at Dollar Tree. $1.

--Bryan

Joie MacDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 14:37:522021/5/10
收件人
Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> >> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
> >> vegetables and some of the fake crab.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
> >
> > It's never failed me.
> >
> > Cindy H amilton
>
> I despise real crab, why would I try fake crab... even the cats won't
> eat it, can't blame them, served crab all I see are their cockaroach
> faces.

That's just a kosher Jewish hangup of yours.

Cindy Hamilton

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:06:412021/5/10
收件人
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 2:25:42 PM UTC-4, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 12:30:20 PM UTC-5, Joie MacDonalds wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
> > That second "h" shouldn't be there.
> >
> Fake crab is awful. It's probably more awful if heated. It's not even the
> rubbery texture. I could deal with that. It doesn't taste good. The only
> time I ever eat fake crab is the tiny, tiny flecks of it in crab rangoon from
> the Chinese takeout place.

California roll. I've eaten more fake crab in California roll than in any
other preparation.

Cindy Hamilton

Sqwertz

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:31:102021/5/10
收件人
On Mon, 10 May 2021 11:09:55 -0400, songbird wrote:

> in years past we were able to find brands that didn't have
> any fishy taste to them, but then a few years ago all of the
> brands we liked that didn't have that off taste to them
> weren't available any more so we didn't buy it as often.

Trans-Ocean is the best brand, IMO.

http://trans-ocean.com/our-products/crab-classic/

-sw

dsi1

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:34:372021/5/10
收件人
I had a fake crab nigiri the other day. It was a fail because the ball of rice collapsed and the chopped crab material fell off the top. It was a structurally unsound sushi. It was pretty cheap at $1.55 for two pieces though. :)

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:51:362021/5/10
收件人

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:51:532021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 15:52:062021/5/10
收件人

Bryan Simmons

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:06:212021/5/10
收件人
But unlike that rail bridge in Mexico, no one died. I wouldn't want
my last meal to be fake crab. "OH SHIT! I'm falling to my death
with a half eaten fake crab sushi in my hand!"

--Bryan

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:18:132021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:18:232021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:21:322021/5/10
收件人

dsi1

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:27:012021/5/10
收件人
That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. It think you meant to say "fake crab taco." Mexicans don't eat sushi, although my brother's sushi chef is a Mexican. That's just so weird.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:31:192021/5/10
收件人
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 1:37:29 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> Canned fish is great if it's not tuna or mackeral. Pink salmon is
> pretty unappealing too. I buy kippers at Dollar Tree. $1.
> >
> --Bryan

All those fish varieties you named will depend on the brand you buy
whether they are good or unappealing.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:32:522021/5/10
收件人
Same, here. Just last week I had a small tray of California roll; darn good.

bruce bowser

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:35:472021/5/10
收件人
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
I guess that's whiting. Two pieces of that or flounder are great broiled with 90 or so percent crab meat in between. MMMMM, great an absolute TON of sliced lemons, a chef's salad and white wine.

Sqwertz

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:56:282021/5/10
收件人
Golden Coral has a Krab salad that's pretty decent. It's probably
just mayo and minced celery, but I can't seem to get it right at
home.

Look like Valerie has a copycat-original:
https://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/17/Golden_Corral_Crab_Salad37819.shtml

-sw

bruce bowser

未读,
2021年5月10日 16:59:042021/5/10
收件人
Their french toast w/ hash browns is to die for !!

Sqwertz

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:09:092021/5/10
收件人
On Mon, 10 May 2021 14:11:36 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
>>> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
>>> vegetables and some of the fake crab.
>>
>>My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
>>
>>It's never failed me.
>>
>>Cindy H amilton
>
> I despise real crab, why would I try fake crab... even the cats won't
> eat it, can't blame them, served crab all I see are their cockaroach
> faces.

Yeah, but you have TIAD. Crab is the best seafood of all. But
nothing smaller than dungeness for me. Screw the picking of blue
crabs. I'll do soft shell blue crabs, though. They're not that
stellar, but at least you don't have pick them. I remember one year
- probably 1996 or so, they were $1.50/lb first couple weeks of
February. I just surgery to place seven screws and a plate in my
lower leg and ankle. But dammit, I waddled the two blocks starting
at 6:30 am to get there at 7:AM when, every other day for almost 2
weeks to buy every crab they had.

Then I had to my time getting back because the liquor store didn't
open until 9:AM. You can't take Norco (10mg hydrocodone) without
hard liquor - that would be a waste or Norco.

-sw

bruce bowser

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:17:352021/5/10
收件人
I like their Chicken-in-a-biscuit saltines. I can't find 'em anywhere else.

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:32:222021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:32:342021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:32:452021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:32:562021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:33:092021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:33:172021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 17:33:272021/5/10
收件人

Hank Rogers

未读,
2021年5月10日 18:13:302021/5/10
收件人
Yoose should step up to crystal palace. Finest booze in da universe.

jmcquown

未读,
2021年5月10日 18:45:552021/5/10
收件人
On 5/10/2021 2:37 PM, Joie MacDonalds wrote:
> Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
>>>
>>> It's never failed me.
>>>
>>> Cindy H amilton
>>
>> I despise real crab, why would I try fake crab... even the cats won't
>> eat it, can't blame them, served crab all I see are their cockaroach
>> faces.
>
> That's just a kosher Jewish hangup of yours.

LOL Sheldon doesn't keep kosher.

Jill

US Janet

未读,
2021年5月10日 19:38:192021/5/10
收件人
On Mon, 10 May 2021 15:56:21 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
Thanks for the recipe, Steve. The Albertsons in my city has a pretty
good crab salad too.
Janet US

Bryan Simmons

未读,
2021年5月10日 20:10:022021/5/10
收件人
I only support legitimate crab rescue.

--Bryan

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 23:03:012021/5/10
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月10日 23:03:102021/5/10
收件人

Gary

未读,
2021年5月11日 06:57:552021/5/11
收件人
bruce bowser wrote:
> bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Canned fish is great if it's not tuna or mackeral. Pink salmon is
>> pretty unappealing too. I buy kippers at Dollar Tree. $1.
>
> I like their Chicken-in-a-biscuit saltines. I can't find 'em anywhere else.

I like those occassionally. My grocery store sells them.

songbird

未读,
2021年5月11日 11:56:402021/5/11
收件人
Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
>> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
>> vegetables and some of the fake crab.
>
> My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
>
> It's never failed me.

that is actually my preferred way to eat it too.
cold, right from the package. Mom, not being the
heathen i am, will not usually eat it cold like
that and instead she wants it warmed up and even
if only to dunk it in garlic butter.

however, since she is the cook of this dish it is
what we get. most the time the fake crab falls
apart.

the texture of it too is important to me. some
brands are rubbery and disgusting others are just
right.

songbird

Michael Trew

未读,
2021年5月11日 12:29:062021/5/11
收件人
Fake crab never bothered me, but then again, I don't really like crab to
begin with. Tastes good in sushi to me.

Michael Trew

未读,
2021年5月11日 12:30:392021/5/11
收件人
On 5/10/2021 2:37 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Canned fish is great if it's not tuna or mackeral. Pink salmon is
> pretty unappealing too. I buy kippers at Dollar Tree. $1.

Tastes OK in salmon patties, but maybe I'm just a low class cook... lol

Michael Trew

未读,
2021年5月11日 12:32:022021/5/11
收件人
On 5/10/2021 2:11 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2021 10:14:05 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
>>> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
>>> vegetables and some of the fake crab.
>>
>> My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
>>
>> It's never failed me.
>>
>> Cindy H amilton
>
> I despise real crab, why would I try fake crab... even the cats won't
> eat it, can't blame them, served crab all I see are their cockaroach
> faces.
> And I like canned/processed fish; herring, kippers, anchovy, etc... a
> favorite is matjes herring, smoked whitefish is sublime.

Most cats that I know are picky. The true test is if a dog would eat
it. I tried a one Chinese place in town once years ago, and it was so
awful, it took me about 2 years to try it again. Still absolutely
awful; no clue how they remained in business. We had 2 dogs at the
time, and even the dogs wouldn't touch it.

bruce bowser

未读,
2021年5月11日 13:19:402021/5/11
收件人
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:56:40 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 11:10:11 AM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> >> the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
> >> vegetables and some of the fake crab.
> >
> > My rule of thumb is: never heat fake crab
> >
> > It's never failed me.
> that is actually my preferred way to eat it too.
> cold, right from the package. Mom, not being the
> heathen i am, will not usually eat it cold like
> that and instead she wants it warmed up and even
> if only to dunk it in garlic butter.

Don't forget lemon with that. Or if you're really fancy, dip it in french white wine sauce:

INGREDIENTS:
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
¼ cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and shallots; cook and stir until transparent, about 3 minutes. Season with tarragon, salt and white pepper. Increase the heat to medium, and stir in the white wine and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, then whisk for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and sprinkle in parsley.

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月11日 15:34:262021/5/11
收件人

Joie McDonalds

未读,
2021年5月11日 15:34:452021/5/11
收件人

Ophelia

未读,
2021年5月11日 16:26:082021/5/11
收件人
On Mon, 10 May 2021 12:03:22 -0400, Dr Bruce <br...@shuddup.net>
wrote:

>On 5/10/2021 11:50 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> On 10/05/2021 16:09, songbird wrote:
>>>    the other day we made a usual stir fry with mixed frozen
>>> vegetables and some of the fake crab.  it is pretty bland
>>> as far as dishes go as we don't put anything other than a
>>> bit of olive oil and butter in with it.  i'm ok with being
>>> able to taste just the vegetables with the hints of salt,
>>> butter and olive oil.
>>>
>>>    in years past we were able to find brands that didn't have
>>> any fishy taste to them, but then a few years ago all of the
>>> brands we liked that didn't have that off taste to them
>>> weren't available any more so we didn't buy it as often.
>>>
>>>    so while the dish was edible it wasn't very enjoyable.
>>> this morning i had to do something to it to make it more
>>> edible, i put some sour cream, dried basil and then some
>>> hot sauce on it, mixed it all together and then i finished
>>> it off.  the basil and hot sauce did just what they needed
>>> to do.  :)
>>>
>>>    what is really funny is that i do just fine eating canned
>>> tuna, sardines, salmon and even herring steaks and smoked
>>> fish.  i also eat fish of other kinds and do ok as long as
>>> they're not super strong fishy tasting but for some reason
>>> i just don't like this fake crab stuff to smell or taste
>>> fishy.  i guess i'm spoiled.  :)
>>>

>>>    songbird
>>
>> =====
>>

>>    Nothing wrong with that:))
>>

>LOL

lol

cshenk

未读,
2021年5月11日 17:48:372021/5/11
收件人
Actually, I like the fake crab/lobster sticks. I make them up with
butter, garlic, maybe a few other seasonings and muchrooms then put on
a bed of pasta. Drizzle the butter over all and mix a bit.

It freezes nicely for a quick home frozen 'TV Dinner for work lunches'.
Not as smelly on reheating as other fish types.

Roy MacDonalds

未读,
2021年5月12日 02:56:102021/5/12
收件人
lol

--
The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Walter de Rochebrune

未读,
2021年5月13日 17:56:142021/5/13
收件人

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net
0 个新帖子