Kids Banned from Restaurant

Terry Pulliam Burd

Jul 12, 2011, 12:06:05 PM7/12/11
Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
in a while:

http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--

To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

Ophelia

Jul 12, 2011, 12:16:23 PM7/12/11

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote in message

> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html

You just feel like stirring things up a bit don't ya? <g>

Hell Toupee

Jul 12, 2011, 12:20:09 PM7/12/11
On 7/12/2011 11:06 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html

I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners. Put
all raucous groups in there, including any party with anyone under age
12.

John Kuthe

Jul 12, 2011, 12:34:14 PM7/12/11

I would never (and never did) take my young son to any restaurant
until he mastered what I called "restaurant manners" at home.
Evidently many parents do not subscribe to this in their homes. :-(

Ban children? No, just politely ask the parents of offending children
to control them or leave because they are disturbing other diners.
"Right to refuse service" should be every restauranteer's right!

John Kuthe...

James Silverton

Jul 12, 2011, 12:46:08 PM7/12/11

I had heard of a church that had what it called the "Noisery", sound
baffled but with large windows and loudspeakers to transmit the service!

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not* not.jim....@verizon.net

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 12:57:39 PM7/12/11
In article <45so17p28tb8c9v62...@4ax.com>,

Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote:

> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html

They are a private entity and are well within their rights to do so.
People will either love it and business will boom, or enough people will
dislike it and their business will suffer. If it suffers, they will
reconsider their decision or fail. Capitalism at work!

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 1:00:06 PM7/12/11
In article <ivhs7n$lqs$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Hell Toupee <w...@menull.com> wrote:

Though, I've had far more dinners ruined by loud adults, especially
tipsy ones, than children. Rich and I went to a wonderful Italian
restaurant with our then two month old baby. The table of adults next
to us glared when they saw our baby, who was nearly silent and never as
loud as them the entire time. Meanwhile, we got to hear about their
adult children's failings and problems, their health ailments and one of
the husband and wife pair airing their marital problems by insulting
each other and behaving boorishly. We were thrilled when they left.

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 1:38:15 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 12:06 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

More power to them. There are lots of family restaurants where people
can take their kids.

I have seen what young children can do to restaurants. We had a place in
town that used to do a pretty good breakfast, morning coffee break and
lunch business. Most of the customers were men who were on their way to
work or on a break, stayed long enough to have a bite and then left.
Then a group of women with kids started meeting there for coffee. One
cup of coffee and then sit there and chat for an hour or more while
their kids ran around screaming. I was there a couple times while that
was going on and fond a more peaceful place.

A new bakery/coffee shop opened up around the corner. Seating was
limited and there was a play area. I suggested to the owner that he
should get rid of the play area and put in a couple more tables. Oh
no.... can't do that because a bunch of his lady customers wanted it.
Fine. He can sell them a couple cups of coffee and have their kids chase
away the paying customers. He is not in business anymore.

nurk_fred2000

Jul 12, 2011, 1:42:03 PM7/12/11

***Will Someone Please BAN Chemo the Clown Terd from this NG?...TIA!

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 2:02:08 PM7/12/11

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote in message

> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I'm sorry but IMHO it's the parents who can't control their children who
should be banned. I wrote about this years ago. It was a restaurant in
west Tennessee. It wasn't a "family restaurant". It was more the kind of
place where most people went to have a beer after work. But they also
served really good burgers, battered french fries, hot wings, deep fried
mushrooms. In other words, bar food. Not a place to take the kids. But
bring the kids these people did. This child kept kicking the back of my
seat. I politely asked the mother, would you mind keeping your child from
kicking my seat? I don't know if she couldn't or wouldn't. I definitely
didn't enjoy that meal. My mother would never have let me behave that way
in public.

Jill

sf

Jul 12, 2011, 2:06:04 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:06:05 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
<ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote:

> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html

a. It doesn't look like the type of restaurant that one thinks would
do that, so it must have an older clientele. This will come back to
bite them in the butt. It's better to offer earlybird family specials
before the hours when the grown ups prefer to dine.

b. The comment about no kids in European restaurants is pure rubbish.
I was surprised by how *late* children stay up over there, because I
see 2 year olds in restaurants at 10PM.

Message has been deleted

sf

Jul 12, 2011, 2:11:01 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:20:09 -0500, Hell Toupee <w...@menull.com>
wrote:

> I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners.

Groups of lively people prefer that too. I hate being pointed to a
section of the room with no other barrier and being told that's where
large parties go (they have the nerve to call it "semi-private).

sf

Jul 12, 2011, 2:11:50 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:46:08 -0400, James Silverton
<not.jim....@verizon.net> wrote:

> On 7/12/2011 12:20 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:
> > On 7/12/2011 11:06 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> >> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> >> in a while:
> >>
> >> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
> >
> > I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners. Put all
> > raucous groups in there, including any party with anyone under age 12.
>
> I had heard of a church that had what it called the "Noisery", sound
> baffled but with large windows and loudspeakers to transmit the service!

They used to be called "crying" rooms and were a good practice, but
you don't see them much anymore.

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 2:14:37 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 2:06 PM, sf wrote:
>before the hours when the grown ups prefer to dine.
>
> b. The comment about no kids in European restaurants is pure rubbish.
> I was surprised by how *late* children stay up over there, because I
> see 2 year olds in restaurants at 10PM.

I can't say that I saw a lot of kids in nice European restaurants.
AAMOF, I didn't see many at all, except in hotel restaurants and at
early seatings.

I did see dogs in restaruants. We had a dinner in a nice restaurant in
Paris and as we were leaving I was surprised to see that there was a dog
seating on a chair at the next table. I had not heard a peep from the
dog. It was better behaved than most children. OTOH, we were in a bar
in a hotel in Gimmelwald Switzerland and a dog fight broke out. I had
seen the Dachshund sitting on his master's lap. I had realized until the
fight that there was a St.Bernard under the table.

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 2:15:28 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 2:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm sorry but IMHO it's the parents who can't control their children who
> should be banned

Are you buy any chance referring to one of the posters here whose
teenage daughter is so bad in restaurants?

ItsJoanNotJoann

Jul 12, 2011, 2:17:12 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 1:06 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:06:05 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
>
> <ntpull...@spambot.net> wrote:
> > Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> > in a while:
>
> >http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> a.  It doesn't look like the type of restaurant that one thinks would
> do that, so it must have an older clientele.  This will come back to
> bite them in the butt.  It's better to offer earlybird family specials
> before the hours when the grown ups prefer to dine.

I read the article earlier in the day I don't think it will hurt their
business at all. Twenty-four of the seats, if I remember correctly,
at this 68 seat restaurant are bar seats. So it's not really geared
to being a 'family' restaurant. So far there has only been one patron
to complain. I'm sure she'll be welcomed to come eat again, just
leave the kid at home or with a sitter.

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 2:25:16 PM7/12/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> On 12/07/2011 12:06 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
>> in a while:
>>
>> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
>>
> More power to them. There are lots of family restaurants where people can
> take their kids.

Take them where they have child seats and playgrounds. McDonald's or Burger
King.

> I have seen what young children can do to restaurants. We had a place in
> town that used to do a pretty good breakfast, morning coffee break and
> lunch business. Most of the customers were men who were on their way to
> work or on a break, stayed long enough to have a bite and then left. Then
> a group of women with kids started meeting there for coffee. One cup of
> coffee and then sit there and chat for an hour or more while their kids
> ran around screaming. I was there a couple times while that was going on
> and fond a more peaceful place.

It's the parents who are at fault, letting their kids run around screaming
while they ignore them. Tell the kids to sit down and shut up!

I would never have been allowed to behave like that in public. My mother
would have hauled me out of the restaurant and swatted my behind.

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 2:31:01 PM7/12/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
No, I'm talking about toddlers. Kids who shouldn't be in restaurants whose
parents can't (or won't control them. I had a 2-3 year old tossing french
fries coated in ketchup at me. Kicking the back of my seat (I was sitting
in a booth). It was really an unpleasant dining experience.

Jill

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 2:44:24 PM7/12/11
In article <983hsb...@mid.individual.net>,
"jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > On 12/07/2011 12:06 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> >> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> >> in a while:
> >>
> >> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
> >>
> >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> >>
> > More power to them. There are lots of family restaurants where people can
> > take their kids.
> >
> Take them where they have child seats and playgrounds. McDonald's or Burger
> King.

I disagree with this approach entirely and think it not only teaches
children to eat poorly, but reinforces their bad behavior in public. If
restaurants are places with play areas, how do they learn to behave in
restaurants without them? We rarely, rarely take our children to such
places. We don't go to restaurants with them much at all, but we take
them to places with real food where they sit down. Sometimes one of us
has to take an infant or toddler out of the restaurant, or just hold the
infant. We don't go if the children aren't behaving well already.

J. Clarke

Jul 12, 2011, 2:58:06 PM7/12/11
In article <983hsb...@mid.individual.net>, j_mc...@comcast.net
says...

> "Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > On 12/07/2011 12:06 PM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> >> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> >> in a while:
> >>
> >> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
> >>
> >> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> >>
> > More power to them. There are lots of family restaurants where people can
> > take their kids.
> >
> Take them where they have child seats and playgrounds. McDonald's or Burger
> King.

Flashing on dinner at I think it was Pittypat's Porch in Atlanta one
time when a kid a few tables over starts shouting at the top of his
lungs "I want a HAMburger".

OTOH, GLucks in New Orleans used to have a separate kids menu complete
with a drink list and made sure that the kid always had something in
front of him to stick in his mouth. Worked out well. Alas Glucks
burned and was never reopened.

> > I have seen what young children can do to restaurants. We had a place in
> > town that used to do a pretty good breakfast, morning coffee break and
> > lunch business. Most of the customers were men who were on their way to
> > work or on a break, stayed long enough to have a bite and then left. Then
> > a group of women with kids started meeting there for coffee. One cup of
> > coffee and then sit there and chat for an hour or more while their kids
> > ran around screaming. I was there a couple times while that was going on
> > and fond a more peaceful place.
> >
> It's the parents who are at fault, letting their kids run around screaming
> while they ignore them. Tell the kids to sit down and shut up!
>
> I would never have been allowed to behave like that in public. My mother
> would have hauled me out of the restaurant and swatted my behind.

While the parents are at fault, it doesn't matter who is at fault from
the viewpoint of the business owner--his duty is not to teach parents
how to manage their kids but to turn a profit for the business.

Michel Boucher

Jul 12, 2011, 3:29:47 PM7/12/11
nurk_fred2000 <nurk_f...@yahoo.com> wrote in
.com:

> ***Will Someone Please BAN Chemo the Clown Terd from this
> NG?...TIA!

No one can be banned from rec.food.cooking but you are free to
appeal to the poster's ISP administration to have them remove this
person from further access. However, as this is an unmoderated
group (and has been for thirty or more years), the onus is on YOU
to avoid reading what you don't want to read. Basically, if don't
want to read it, don't open it.

--

I read about an [Inuk] hunter who asked the local missionary
priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to

Annie Dillard

sf

Jul 12, 2011, 3:52:23 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:14:37 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I can't say that I saw a lot of kids in nice European restaurants.
> AAMOF, I didn't see many at all, except in hotel restaurants and at
> early seatings.

Do you ever eat late? Some of the restaurants off the tourist track
in Paris look like they won't be opening at all that day if you walk
by them at 6PM and we were the only customers in an Indian restaurant
in a London suburb, when their customers started arriving at 10PM -
and the first to arrive brought their children with them.

sf

Jul 12, 2011, 3:53:57 PM7/12/11

If it's a bar, then it has older customers. Good. Glad they closed
it off to kids and their clueless parents.

JeanineAlyse

Jul 12, 2011, 3:56:13 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 11:58 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarkeuse...@cox.net> wrote:
> While the parents are at fault, it doesn't matter who is at fault from
> the viewpoint of the business owner--his duty is not to teach parents
> how to manage their kids but to turn a profit for the business.
Amen! Enough said about who is to teach parents to teach children
manners and enforce their using them..
...Picky

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 4:06:34 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 2:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Are you buy any chance referring to one of the posters here whose
>> teenage daughter is so bad in restaurants?
>>

> No, I'm talking about toddlers. Kids who shouldn't be in restaurants
> whose parents can't (or won't control them. I had a 2-3 year old tossing
> french fries coated in ketchup at me. Kicking the back of my seat (I was
> sitting in a booth). It was really an unpleasant dining experience.

It wasn't in a restaurant, but you would have loved the tough love I saw
administered to a toddler a few weeks ago

- Johnny, come back here
- Johnny, I said get back here
- Get back here NOW
- I am going to count to three
- Get back here
- I am going to start counting
- Johnny, do you want me to count to three?
- I mean it Johnny, get back here
- I am going to start counting

- One

- Get back here

- I am going to count

- One

Johnny, get back here

She never did get to two and by the time I packed up and left she was
still threatening, but she had not moved and the kid did not come.

How different from my experience.

"David... come back"

David!!!..... whack

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 4:08:58 PM7/12/11

Chemo? WTF does Chemo have to do wit this?
If you aren't smart enough ignore or filter him you should find
somewhere else to play.

Message has been deleted

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 5:28:24 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 12:20 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:

> On 7/12/2011 11:06 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
>> in a while:
>>
>> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners. Put all
> raucous groups in there, including any party with anyone under age 12.

Any large group tends to be loud and in my experience especially if it
is a group of woman. I have declined tables close to such groups.
However, that is more a matter of sheer volume. Kids, OTOH, can just be
plain annoying. Send them to the Golden Arches or similar child oriented
place. We will all be happier.

Bryan

Jul 12, 2011, 5:49:16 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 1:11 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:46:08 -0400, James Silverton
>
> <not.jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > > I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners. Put all
> > > raucous groups in there, including any party with anyone under age 12.
>
> > I had heard of a church that had what it called the "Noisery", sound
> > baffled but with large windows and loudspeakers to transmit the service!
>
> They used to be called "crying" rooms and were a good practice, but
> you don't see them much anymore.

The church where I work has a cry room on the side of the sanctuary.

--Bryan

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 6:19:06 PM7/12/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
It doesn't do any good to threaten if you're not going to follow through. I
know a lot of people don't believe in corporal punishment but at least take
the kid outside if he/she is disrupting the entire restaurant. I know I'm
getting old <G> but when I was a kid it was a real treat to go out to dinner
with my parents. And I knew if I didn't behave they weren't going to take
me out again!

Jill

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 12, 2011, 6:41:20 PM7/12/11
Hell Toupee wrote:
> On 7/12/2011 11:06 AM, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant"
>> thread in a while:
>>
>> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> I'd be happy if restaurants had a "loud room" for lively diners. Put
> all raucous groups in there, including any party with anyone under age
> 12.

Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched toddler
comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has
to pay my dinner check.

Corrolary: Anyone at my table who encourages said slobbering noserunning
toddler to visit the table pays the check, and the offending table's check
as well, and takes me to dinner the next night.

Re-corrolary: Anyone who has a problem with my grandkids in a restaurant is
a turdmuffin.

MartyB

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 6:50:29 PM7/12/11

"Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> In article <983ggv...@mid.individual.net>, j_mc...@comcast.net
> says...

> This child kept kicking the back of my
>> seat. I politely asked the mother, would you mind keeping your child
>> from
>> kicking my seat? I don't know if she couldn't or wouldn't.
>
> Much more effective is to deal direct with their child. IME Few
> youngsters will defy a total stranger who gives a simple calm instruction
> they understand.
>
> Janet.

I agree with the premise but it's really not my place (or the restaurant
owner's place) to correct someone else's child in a public place. The
parent(s) should be the ones to deal with recalcitrant children.

In the early 1980's I worked with a woman who had an (ostensibly) adorable
little girl. Her parents had absolutely no control over her. Nor did I
ever see them try. They let her run all over them and she was only 3 years
old. We'd go over to play cards and they let her stay up until midnight
because she'd cry if they put her to bed at 9:00. I don't even think about
what she was like in a restaurant.

The woman came to visit me one afternoon and brought the little girl with
her. I'm an avid reader. This little girl got one of my hardback books off
the shelf and started ripping the pages out of it. Her mother's response
was to simply ignore her. Hey! Cut that out! That's a $30 book! Her
mother got ticked off because I yelled at her child. They were never
invited back.

Jill

L G

Jul 12, 2011, 6:53:24 PM7/12/11
Old people are bitchy!

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 7:11:09 PM7/12/11

"Dave Smith" <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

When I worked as a server (30 years ago) we hated it when a large group of
women came in for lunch. I used to agree to roll extra silverware to get
someone else to take that table. Especially on Sundays. They were "church
ladies". They typically only left a quarter each as a tip. And they sat at
the table for hours, yakking away. Sometimes they were members of the Red
Hat Society. (That's a really weird concept in and of itself.)

Jill

cshenk

Jul 12, 2011, 7:26:02 PM7/12/11
Ranie at Arabian Knits wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Same here. Charlotte was 'eating out' by age 5 months (her happy with
a bottle then) as she progressed to scrambled eggs and toast. She was
*always* well behaved needing at most, some lap time with me to calm
down before age 2. I won't say she was that good at home, but out in
public, yes.

She acted up once when she was 4, in a McDonalds with a playground and
we got our food and left (playground was closed but she couldn't grasp
that and was disruptive with her loud voice to others).

By age 6, she was suitable to take to a 5 star restraunt (we had
limited to simpler before because the offerings were not things she'd
eat, palatte not well evolved yet).

I'd say, each child is different and yes, parenting has a great deal to
do with it. I predate the 'ME' generation.

ImStillMags

Jul 12, 2011, 7:30:37 PM7/12/11
On Jul 12, 9:06 am, Terry Pulliam Burd <ntpull...@spambot.net> wrote:
> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> --
>
> To reply, remove "spambot" and replace it with "cox"

I only had one incident in the many years I owned my restaurant where
I actually had to speak to a parent about thier child.
This woman had a toddler who was crying so much he got to the point of
hysteria. Myself and a couple of other women went to the table to see
what was the matter and ask if we could help. I wanted to strangle
the woman, she said 'oh no, he's fine'.....I told her
NO HE'S NOT FINE HE'S HYSTERICAL. Between myself and the other woman
we spoke to the child and he started to calm down.
By that time the whole restaurant was upset. We were packed, it
was lunch, and everyone wanted to strangle that woman.

Steve Pope

Jul 12, 2011, 7:35:43 PM7/12/11
ImStillMags <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I only had one incident in the many years I owned my restaurant where
>I actually had to speak to a parent about thier child.
>This woman had a toddler who was crying so much he got to the point of
>hysteria. Myself and a couple of other women went to the table to see
>what was the matter and ask if we could help. I wanted to strangle
>the woman, she said 'oh no, he's fine'.....I told her
>NO HE'S NOT FINE HE'S HYSTERICAL. Between myself and the other woman
>we spoke to the child and he started to calm down.
>By that time the whole restaurant was upset. We were packed, it
>was lunch, and everyone wanted to strangle that woman.

I understand this is due to a prevailing modern philosophy that the
responsible adult must ignore a child's bad behavior, while rewarding
their good behavior. So any amount of screaming, running around, etc.
must be ignored.

Steve

Message has been deleted

Pico Rico

Jul 12, 2011, 7:56:15 PM7/12/11

"ImStillMags" <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

you should have called 911 and said a woman was endangering her child, who
seems to need medical attention.

Pico Rico

Jul 12, 2011, 7:55:06 PM7/12/11

> In article <9841dk...@mid.individual.net>, j_mc...@comcast.net
> says...

>> "Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> > In article <983ggv...@mid.individual.net>, j_mc...@comcast.net
>> > says...
>> >
>> > This child kept kicking the back of my
>> >
>> > Much more effective is to deal direct with their child. IME Few
>> > youngsters will defy a total stranger who gives a simple calm
>> > instruction
>> > they understand.
>> >
>> > Janet.
>>
>> I agree with the premise but it's really not my place (or the restaurant
>> owner's place) to correct someone else's child in a public place. The
>> parent(s) should be the ones to deal with recalcitrant children.

hey, I thought it took a village to raise a child.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 8:12:19 PM7/12/11
In article <S6-dnXCwjI6XRYHT...@giganews.com>,
"cshenk" <csh...@cox.net> wrote:

> I'd say, each child is different and yes, parenting has a great deal to
> do with it. I predate the 'ME' generation.

I think I'm a child of that generation.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 8:13:20 PM7/12/11
In article <iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched toddler
> comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has
> to pay my dinner check.

Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?

Brooklyn1

Jul 12, 2011, 8:17:07 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:19:06 -0400, "jmcquown" <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I was always well behaved at resturants, all my parents had to do was
put a hunk of food in each of my fists and slip me sips of booze...
believe it or not my very first words was "more beer".

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 8:20:41 PM7/12/11

As a former student of comparative animal behaviour and as one who has
trained a wide variety of animals I can suggest that the best way to
train an animal or a person to behave in a particular manner is to not
let then do the wrong thing.

For instance, when training gold fish in a simple T maze, they learn a
lot faster to approach the correct simple that gets then the reward if
they get a mild shock when they go the other way. When training pigeons
to discriminate between to different stimuli, conduct your training
sessions in a windowless room and turn off the lights as soon as the
bird heads for the wrong one. They stop, and having to stop every time
the lights go off, they try going the other way.

It is much easier to work with a c lean slate than to have to unlearn
old and inappropriate behaviour.

Dave Smith

Jul 12, 2011, 8:22:57 PM7/12/11
On 12/07/2011 8:13 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article<iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Nunya Bidnits"<nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched toddler
>> comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has
>> to pay my dinner check.
>
> Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?

No, but one time when I was in a crowded restaurant the woman at the
next table knocked her glass over and a couple drops of wine landed on
our table. Her date <?> sent us a bottle of nice wine. That worked for me.

J. Clarke

Jul 12, 2011, 8:09:39 PM7/12/11
In article <ivimuv$krn$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Pico...@nonospam.com says...

> "Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message
> > In article <9841dk...@mid.individual.net>, j_mc...@comcast.net
> > says...
> >>
> >> "Janet" <H...@invalid.net> wrote in message

> >> I agree with the premise but it's really not my place (or the restaurant
> >> owner's place) to correct someone else's child in a public place. The
> >> parent(s) should be the ones to deal with recalcitrant children.
>

> hey, I thought it took a village to raise a child.

Which works fine as long as the village contains no lawyers.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 8:32:34 PM7/12/11
In article <ux5Tp.50023$_j5....@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> It is much easier to work with a c lean slate than to have to unlearn
> old and inappropriate behaviour.

Absolutely! I don't agree with this don't get children in trouble
nonsense or don't tell them no. From six months on our children have
understood no. They didn't always do what they were supposed to do, or
they'd stop for a minute, then return to what they were doing. They
knew what no meant, though. And they knew that we would remove them.
People are always amazed at how well behaved our children are (and they
aren't perfect, by far, it's just that normal, decent behavior is now
noticeable, I think, because it is so rare). The biggest thing is that
we expect them to behave well and they have known that since they were
infants.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Jul 12, 2011, 8:52:45 PM7/12/11
In article <MPG.2886ac508...@hamster.jcbsbsdomain.local>,
"J. Clarke" <jclark...@cox.net> wrote:

And the village shares values and similar ideas about how children
should be raised, the other parents in the village will back up the
parents of the child, etc.

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 9:24:20 PM7/12/11

"Pico Rico" <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote in message
Bullshit. It takes a village to raise an idiot. Parents need to raise
their children. They don't need any help from me, that's why I didn't have
children.

Jill

Sky

Jul 12, 2011, 9:29:37 PM7/12/11
On 7/12/2011 3:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> It wasn't in a restaurant, but you would have loved the tough love I saw
> administered to a toddler a few weeks ago
>
> - Johnny, come back here
> - Johnny, I said get back here
> - Get back here NOW
> - I am going to count to three
> - Get back here
> - I am going to start counting
> - Johnny, do you want me to count to three?
> - I mean it Johnny, get back here
> - I am going to start counting
>
> - One
>
> - Get back here
>
> - I am going to count
>
> - One
>
> Johnny, get back here
>

> She never did get to two and by the time I packed up and left she was
> still threatening, but she had not moved and the kid did not come.
>
> How different from my experience.
>

> "David... come back"
>
> David!!!..... whack

Hehehe! I see that a lot, too, about parents not following through with
what they say. It also bugs me no end to hear someone give a direction
to a child (or even an adult!) and end it with an "..., OK??", e.g.,
"Johnny, you'd better behave now or else I might have to [whatever],
OK??" Ending any statement/admonition in that manner seems to imply
there's a choice when in fact there really isn't one.

When DS was small and the very few times he demonstrated poor behavior
in any public place, I'd say to him, "Now DS, do you want to go to the
restroom/outside with me to have a '__conversation__'?" VBG. It only
took a couple of times before he understood what the 'consequences' were
when I mentioned 'conversation' in that particular context.

Sometimes, a situation may not allow a parent to appropriately
discipline a child. While I was waiting for a flight at an airport a
couple of weeks before Christmas last year, there was a single mother
with two very young boys (I'd guess they were about 4 and 5) waiting for
the same flight. She was having a truly difficult time with the two
boys, who were probably bored senseless, tired and perhaps hungry. I
sort of whispered to the two boys and said, "Psst, Psst! Did you know
Santa Claus is watching you? Just look, he's over there in disguise!"
and I pointed towards a gentleman nearby, also waiting for the same
flight. Luckily, he very much did resemble Santa Claus, white beard &
all, albeit wearing a baseball cap, plaid shirt and jeans ;> The boys
looked over at him, then back at their mother, and they seemed to settle
down a bit, thankfully.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

jmcquown

Jul 12, 2011, 9:30:30 PM7/12/11

"Steve Pope" <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote in message
Sure, that works really well doesn't it? To everyone else's displeasure.

Jill

Stu

Jul 12, 2011, 9:32:22 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:56:13 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse <Pick...@msn.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 12, 11:58 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarkeuse...@cox.net> wrote:
>> While the parents are at fault, it doesn't matter who is at fault from
>> the viewpoint of the business owner--his duty is not to teach parents
>> how to manage their kids but to turn a profit for the business.
>Amen! Enough said about who is to teach parents to teach children
>manners and enforce their using them..
>...Picky

It's simple, put up at sign at the restaurants' entrance stating that no loud
or annoying behavior will be tolerated, furthermore that the offender will be
asked to leave the restaurant immediately.

-----

Stu

Video Recipe of the week "Tiramisu Cheesecake desi style"
http://foodforu.ca/recipeofweek.html

So much more than just a recipe website

Bob Molder

Jul 12, 2011, 9:41:52 PM7/12/11

I read this twice, on the second go through I realized that I hadn't read
boobs, now if that had been what I'd read, it would explain your fantasy with
them in your declining years.

atec77

Jul 12, 2011, 9:52:02 PM7/12/11
I find like animals children respond well to threat applied directly
lifting them off the floor and offering to hurt them elicits silence
Oddly enough parents tend to ignore such a response perhaps as self
preservation

atec77

Jul 12, 2011, 9:54:01 PM7/12/11
Light applause :)

Bob Molder

Jul 12, 2011, 9:57:14 PM7/12/11

Thank you, thank you ;-)

Cheri

Jul 12, 2011, 10:26:06 PM7/12/11

LOL, how true.

Cheri

Terry Pulliam Burd

Jul 12, 2011, 11:28:35 PM7/12/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:09:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclark...@cox.net> arranged random neurons and said:

>In article <ivimuv$krn$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Pico...@nonospam.com says...

<snippidy>

>> hey, I thought it took a village to raise a child.
>
>Which works fine as long as the village contains no lawyers.

Bwahahaaa!! <snort!> Thanks for the laugh!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd (a litigation paralegal who works with
the buzzards)

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 12, 2011, 11:32:29 PM7/12/11

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <ntpu...@spambot.net> wrote in message

> Haven't had the "kids do/don't belong in __________ restaurant" thread
> in a while:
>
> http://www.king5.com/news/Restaurant-to-ban-kids-under-6-125415763.html
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I have no problem with reasonably well behaved kids. Often it is the
parents that need to be banned because they have no control over the kids,
nor do they want to quiet them.

Ranée at Arabian Knits

Jul 13, 2011, 12:00:35 AM7/13/11
In article <984ao9...@mid.individual.net>,
Sky <skyh...@NOsbcglobal.SnPeAtM> wrote:

> When DS was small and the very few times he demonstrated poor behavior
> in any public place, I'd say to him, "Now DS, do you want to go to the
> restroom/outside with me to have a '__conversation__'?" VBG. It only
> took a couple of times before he understood what the 'consequences' were
> when I mentioned 'conversation' in that particular context.

Manual attitude adjustment. As in: "Are you going to adjust your
attitude yourself, or do you need a manual attitude adjustment?" Older
people who hear me say it generally comment with praise. The children
hear it, and adjust themselves about 98% of the time.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 1:54:03 AM7/13/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:41:52 -0500, Bob Molder <bo...@bctell.net>
wrote:

> I read this twice, on the second go through I realized that I hadn't read
> boobs, now if that had been what I'd read, it would explain your fantasy with
> them in your declining years.

I don't know who you are, but the last two post I've read that were
supposedly by him didn't ring true to any other *real* post from him.
I am not obsessed and don't read headers, don't analyze language
patterns or use some obscure program to figure out who it is, I can
only say they were not in character with who I know as Sheldon.

ViLco

Jul 13, 2011, 3:50:37 AM7/13/11
John Kuthe wrote:

> I would never (and never did) take my young son to any restaurant
> until he mastered what I called "restaurant manners" at home.
> Evidently many parents do not subscribe to this in their homes. :-(

I'm with you. And what is worse is that 99% of the times the excuse, pardon,
the "reason" is that "we must let them express themselves".
That's plain sloppyness masquerade as a pose.

> Ban children? No, just politely ask the parents of offending children
> to control them or leave because they are disturbing other diners.
> "Right to refuse service" should be every restauranteer's right!

Right
--
ViLco
Let the liquor do the thinking

Hell Toupee

Jul 13, 2011, 8:33:43 AM7/13/11
On 7/12/2011 7:13 PM, Ran�e at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article<iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Nunya Bidnits"<nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched toddler
>> comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has
>> to pay my dinner check.
>
> Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?

It's happened to me more than once, and god, I hate it. I'm there to
dine, not to babysit. And the parents think it's cute. I don't want to
pay attention to your rug rat, I want it to GO AWAY.

Hell Toupee

Jul 13, 2011, 8:40:01 AM7/13/11
On 7/12/2011 6:55 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

> hey, I thought it took a village to raise a child.

It takes a child to raze a village.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 9:06:30 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:33:43 -0500, Hell Toupee <w...@menull.com>
wrote:

If kids bother you so much, why do you go to "family" restaurants?
Eat somewhere else.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 9:09:21 AM7/13/11

I'll agree with the lazy parent and start at home parts, but IMO
anyone who slops food on the table to serve "family style" is too lazy
to use proper manners anywhere.

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2011, 9:18:09 AM7/13/11
On 13/07/2011 9:06 AM, sf wrote:

>> It's happened to me more than once, and god, I hate it. I'm there to
>> dine, not to babysit. And the parents think it's cute. I don't want to
>> pay attention to your rug rat, I want it to GO AWAY.
>
> If kids bother you so much, why do you go to "family" restaurants?
> Eat somewhere else.

Good advice, but isn't that the issue here?
I rarely go to family restaurants. If I wanted to sit down to a meal
surrounded by misbehaving children I would go to MacDonalds or some
other fast food joint. If I go to a nicer place for a quiet meal I
expect not to have to endure some whiny kid carrying on. Given a choice
of a family restaurant or one that bans kids, I will take the latter
every time.

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2011, 9:21:16 AM7/13/11
On 13/07/2011 9:09 AM, sf wrote:

> I'll agree with the lazy parent and start at home parts, but IMO
> anyone who slops food on the table to serve "family style" is too lazy
> to use proper manners anywhere.

I disagree with that. I grew up with both. Most of our meals were served
plated but Sunday dinners and other special occasion meals were usually
served family style, but on proper serving dishes, not in plastic
bowls. My mother often cooked three or more vegetables and it was too
much hassle for her to remember who liked what and how much to give them.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 9:27:11 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:18:09 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> If I wanted to sit down to a meal
> surrounded by misbehaving children I would go to MacDonalds or some
> other fast food joint.

I'm always amazed at comments like that. You people must live among
savages; I don't see misbehaving kids - even at McDonald's.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 9:29:24 AM7/13/11

Then serve yourself from the counter, buffet style... don't slop it
onto the table. It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like they
were brought up in a barn and then have the nerve to criticize others.

Giusi

Jul 13, 2011, 9:51:27 AM7/13/11

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Then serve yourself from the counter, buffet style... don't slop it
> onto the table. It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like they
> were brought up in a barn and then have the nerve to criticize others.

You are being outrageous. Is it on purpose? Are you aware that Russian
service and table service are used in palaces and the Whitehouse? Why do
you think there are all those gorgeous platters and tureens in precious
porcelain services?

Serving up plates is very restaurant-like and I don't do it except for
salade composče and some desserts.

George Leppla

Jul 13, 2011, 9:56:58 AM7/13/11
On 7/13/2011 8:06 AM, sf wrote:
> If kids bother you so much, why do you go to "family" restaurants?
> Eat somewhere else.

For the most part, I've seldom been bothered by children at a restaurant.

My basic rule of thumb is that I'll ignore or put up with most kid's
behaviors in any restaurant that doesn't use tablecloths. But if I'm
getting dressed up to go to a $$$ restaurant, I'd rather not be
distracted by the bad behavior of children.

What I AM bothered by is people talking on cell phones. Hearing someone
personal or business conversations isn't my idea of fun.

Oh and here is a hint..... If you are wearing a Bluetooth or some other
remote in-the-ear device and you carry on phone conversations in a
normal voice as if the person you are talking to is right there... you
look like a doofus.

George L

Lou Decruss

Jul 13, 2011, 9:58:45 AM7/13/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:32:34 -0700, Ran�e at Arabian Knits
<arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

>In article <ux5Tp.50023$_j5....@unlimited.newshosting.com>,
> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> It is much easier to work with a c lean slate than to have to unlearn
>> old and inappropriate behaviour.
>
> Absolutely! I don't agree with this don't get children in trouble
>nonsense or don't tell them no. From six months on our children have
>understood no. They didn't always do what they were supposed to do, or
>they'd stop for a minute, then return to what they were doing. They
>knew what no meant, though. And they knew that we would remove them.
>People are always amazed at how well behaved our children are (and they
>aren't perfect, by far, it's just that normal, decent behavior is now
>noticeable, I think, because it is so rare). The biggest thing is that
>we expect them to behave well and they have known that since they were
>infants.

I have a friend who went to some silly conference on parenthood at a
retreat in California. They were taught that unless the child's
behavior was harmful let them do what they want. The kids are beasts.
Lou

Steve Pope

Jul 13, 2011, 10:04:20 AM7/13/11
>John Kuthe wrote:

> Ban children? No, just politely ask the parents of offending children
> to control them or leave because they are disturbing other diners.
> "Right to refuse service" should be every restauranteer's right!

There's a couple reasons this doesn't work.

One: when you allow adults to bring children into the restaurant,
you are automatically granting those adults some normal degree of
latitude as to how those children will be controlled. You can't
dictate every aspect of the adult-child relationship just because
it's your restaurant. At the outset, you have already bought into some
amount of children screaming and running amuk, although perhaps you
maybe can limit it.

Two: when you kick groups out of your restaurant, however justified,
some fraction of them will post fictive negative restaurant reviews
online and you suffer the consequences. (This is why I place almost
zero weight on negative reviews on Yelp, etc.)

A ban, or a general "vibe" that your restaurant is not the best
place to bring children, is the better approach.

Steve

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 10:33:14 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:56:58 -0500, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

> On 7/13/2011 8:06 AM, sf wrote:
> > If kids bother you so much, why do you go to "family" restaurants?
> > Eat somewhere else.
>

> For the most part, I've seldom been bothered by children at a restaurant.
>
> My basic rule of thumb is that I'll ignore or put up with most kid's
> behaviors in any restaurant that doesn't use tablecloths.

Exactly!

> But if I'm
> getting dressed up to go to a $$$ restaurant, I'd rather not be
> distracted by the bad behavior of children.

People don't usually bring children to that sort of restaurant. It's
been years since I've seen that. The one child I remember seeing was
very well behaved and the parents didn't push their luck by lingering
over coffee.

> What I AM bothered by is people talking on cell phones. Hearing someone
> personal or business conversations isn't my idea of fun.

Oh, god, yes... and they always shout. You *must* let everyone in the
room know how important you are, right?

> Oh and here is a hint..... If you are wearing a Bluetooth or some other
> remote in-the-ear device and you carry on phone conversations in a
> normal voice as if the person you are talking to is right there... you
> look like a doofus.

Same with shopping or walking down the street carrying on a
conversation like that.

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 10:34:03 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:51:27 +0200, "Giusi" <deco...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You are being outrageous. Is it on purpose?

<giggle> Busted. ;)

Pico Rico

Jul 13, 2011, 11:00:18 AM7/13/11

A 6-year-old girl named Reagan Kennedy was playing golf with her family at a
course in Bloomington, Ill., when the youngster knocked her tee shot on the
85-yard par-3 in the cup for an ace.
What did Reagan do to celebrate? Absolutely nothing. Why? Because her
parents had kindly asked her not to be too loud on the golf course while
they were playing, so as not to disturb others.

J. Clarke

Jul 13, 2011, 10:37:15 AM7/13/11
In article <ga7r171chanl2tcqa...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
says...

It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like effete snobs and have

Steve Pope

Jul 13, 2011, 11:09:31 AM7/13/11
Pico Rico <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote:

That's righteous. Training your kid to be cool.

Steve

sf

Jul 13, 2011, 11:18:03 AM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:37:15 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclark...@cox.net> wrote:

> It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like effete snobs and have
> the nerve to criticize others.

It's hard to understand you while you're oinking.

Lou Decruss

Jul 13, 2011, 11:26:33 AM7/13/11

I live less than two hours from there so it's been on the news here.
It's a good job on everyone's part.

Lou

Jerry Avins

Jul 13, 2011, 11:28:42 AM7/13/11

I once saw a sign in a restaurant to the effect that "Families with
children pay before being served. Families who misbehave will be told
to leave." There were two families and a single man with well-behaved
youngsters there while I ate. In Europe, many restaurants allow dogs.
I never heard of either a dog or a child who pinched a waitress's
backside.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.

Nancy Young

Jul 13, 2011, 11:34:36 AM7/13/11

I don't know, maybe a little too cool for me. There's a lot of
territory between being too loud and not reacting at all.

nancy

Steve Pope

Jul 13, 2011, 11:36:09 AM7/13/11
Nancy Young <rjyn...@nospamverizon.net> wrote:

Sinking a hole in one and not reacting? That's chill. The kid
has a future.

Steve

Dave Smith

Jul 13, 2011, 11:59:08 AM7/13/11
On 13/07/2011 9:29 AM, sf wrote:

>>> I'll agree with the lazy parent and start at home parts, but IMO
>>> anyone who slops food on the table to serve "family style" is too lazy
>>> to use proper manners anywhere.
>>>

>> I disagree with that. I grew up with both. Most of our meals were served
>> plated but Sunday dinners and other special occasion meals were usually
>> served family style, but on proper serving dishes, not in plastic
>> bowls. My mother often cooked three or more vegetables and it was too
>> much hassle for her to remember who liked what and how much to give them.
>
> Then serve yourself from the counter, buffet style... don't slop it
> onto the table. It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like they
> were brought up in a barn and then have the nerve to criticize others.

I guess I am a little confused about "family style". Doing a little
research, I get the impression that it has come to mean passing the
serving dishes around. In my family, my fath3er carved the meat at the
table and my mother served the vegetables .... but from the table, not
from the side board. Having checked several dining etiquette sites, that
is perfectly acceptable.

"Family Style" is institutionalized enough to be be acceptable.

J. Clarke

Jul 13, 2011, 11:39:20 AM7/13/11
In article <jodr17173q31p20jh...@4ax.com>, s...@geemail.com
says...

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:37:15 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclark...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > It never ceases to amaze me that people eat like effete snobs and have
> > the nerve to criticize others.
>
> It's hard to understand you while you're oinking.

Jo mama is so fat . . .

Nancy2

Jul 13, 2011, 12:15:29 PM7/13/11
On Jul 12, 5:53 pm, L G <Lar...@realboat.com> wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Dave Smith" <adavid.sm...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> >> Are you buy any chance referring to one of the posters here whose
> >> teenage daughter is so bad in restaurants?
>
> > No, I'm talking about toddlers.  Kids who shouldn't be in restaurants
> > whose parents can't (or won't control them.  I had a 2-3 year old
> > tossing french fries coated in ketchup at me.  Kicking the back of my
> > seat (I was sitting in a booth).  It was really an unpleasant dining
> > experience.
>
> > Jill
>
> Old people are bitchy!- Hide quoted text -

So are young, childless couples. So are any people who think children
should behave themselves. We oldsters don't have a monopoly on being
fussy, you know.

N.

Message has been deleted

Michel Boucher

Jul 13, 2011, 12:48:33 PM7/13/11
Janet <H...@invalid.net> wrote in

> In article <arabianknits-47A3...@news.eternal-
> september.org>, arabia...@gmail.com says...

>> In article <iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose
>> > unwatched toddler comes over to my table to hang out,
>> > slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has to pay my dinner
>> > check.
>>
>> Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?
>

> I've certainly had the pestilent behaviour at our table problem

I have a feeling you must give off vibes that attract children
and make them behave badly...you know...like looking askance or
tsk-tsking...you're just daring them :-)

In 64 years and going to at least four restaurants a month, I
have never been in one that was not a "family restaurant" with a
play area where children run around freely, unless it was the
family gathering (over 150 at times) and it was expected that
children present would play. Their parents were your cousins (or
in one case an uncle). The restaurant (or a portion of it) was
booked for the function.

--

I read about an [Inuk] hunter who asked the local missionary
priest: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to
hell?" "No," said the priest, "not if you did not know."
"Then why," asked the [Inuk], "did you tell me?"

Annie Dillard

Pico Rico

Jul 13, 2011, 12:50:36 PM7/13/11

"Ranée at Arabian Knits" <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In article <iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched
>> toddler
>> comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food
>> has
>> to pay my dinner check.
>
> Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?

yes.

Nancy2

Jul 13, 2011, 12:14:00 PM7/13/11
On Jul 12, 4:49 pm, Bryan <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 12, 1:11 pm, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 12:46:08 -0400, James Silverton
>
> > <not.jim.silver...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > > I had heard of a church that had what it called the "Noisery", sound
> > > baffled but with large windows and loudspeakers to transmit the service!
>
> > They used to be called "crying" rooms and were a good practice, but
> > you don't see them much anymore.
>
> The church where I work has a cry room on the side of the sanctuary.
>
> --Bryan- Hide quoted text -

Mine has one in the back with speakers so parents can hear the sermon;
it had an official name, "The Bawl Room," but some church members
complained that it was too mean-spirited, so it doesn't have an
official name any more. But that's what it is. It's wonderful for
all church-goers.

N.

jmcquown

Jul 13, 2011, 12:55:11 PM7/13/11

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:33:43 -0500, Hell Toupee <w...@menull.com>
> wrote:

>> On 7/12/2011 7:13 PM, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

>> > Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?
>>
>> It's happened to me more than once, and god, I hate it. I'm there to
>> dine, not to babysit. And the parents think it's cute. I don't want to
>> pay attention to your rug rat, I want it to GO AWAY.
>
> If kids bother you so much, why do you go to "family" restaurants?
> Eat somewhere else.

Who cares what you call the type of restaurant? Maybe the food is good.
I've eaten in many a "family" restaurant. Doesn't matter what you call it,
kids shouldn't be allowed to run amok. The customers (and the staff)
shouldn't have to deal with it.

Jill

Pico Rico

Jul 13, 2011, 12:55:47 PM7/13/11

"Pico Rico" <Pico...@nonospam.com> wrote in message

yes the former, certainly not the latter.

jmcquown

Jul 13, 2011, 1:02:43 PM7/13/11

"Steve Pope" <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote in message
> ImStillMags <sitar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I only had one incident in the many years I owned my restaurant where
>>I actually had to speak to a parent about thier child.
>>This woman had a toddler who was crying so much he got to the point of
>>hysteria. Myself and a couple of other women went to the table to see
>>what was the matter and ask if we could help. I wanted to strangle
>>the woman, she said 'oh no, he's fine'.....I told her
>>NO HE'S NOT FINE HE'S HYSTERICAL. Between myself and the other woman
>>we spoke to the child and he started to calm down.
>>By that time the whole restaurant was upset. We were packed, it
>>was lunch, and everyone wanted to strangle that woman.
>
> I understand this is due to a prevailing modern philosophy that the
> responsible adult must ignore a child's bad behavior, while rewarding
> their good behavior. So any amount of screaming, running around, etc.
> must be ignored.
>
> Steve

I don't care about the prevailing philosphy, I just want the kid to sit down
and STFU when I'm in a restaurant trying to eat! I can't recall any recent
studies saying this it paid off ignoring a kid screaming or running around
disrupting the other customers. It might work for the parents but it
doesn't seem to work for the rest of us.

Jill

blake murphy

Jul 13, 2011, 1:03:03 PM7/13/11
On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:13:20 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article <iviiih$puu$1...@dont-email.me>,
> "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Let them in but there needs to be a rule that anyone whose unwatched toddler
>> comes over to my table to hang out, slobber, drip snot, or beg for food has
>> to pay my dinner check.
>
> Has that ever happened to you or anyone else?
>

> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

'beg for food' doesn't sound the least bit plausible.

your pal,
blake

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

blake murphy

Jul 13, 2011, 1:08:40 PM7/13/11

even today when i see someone walking down the street talking (and
sometimes gesticulating) with no one nearby, i don't think 'bluetooth.' i
think 'nut case.' it's unnerving.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 13, 2011, 1:12:43 PM7/13/11
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:28:42 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Avins wrote:

> In Europe, many restaurants allow dogs.
> I never heard of either a dog or a child who pinched a waitress's
> backside.
>
> Jerry

or got drunk, for that matter.

your pal,