Backyard chickens

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 5:42:22 AM1/28/23
For anybody who thinks raising chickens might be a fun and inexpensive
way to obtain eggs, I offer you this:

"Think backyard chickens will solve your egg problems? Think again."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/27/egg-shortage-backyard-chickens/

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 5:55:23 AM1/28/23
It's not only about money. It's also about getting eggs from happy
chickens. Also, it's nice to see them roam around the house, pecking
at bugs, with our rooster as their bodyguard. The rooster's important.
He really looks after the hens. I think he's also snake-smart. We
haven't lost many hens since we got his father and now him. Of course,
roosters aren't allowed in suburbia, for obvious reasons.

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 6:47:03 AM1/28/23
isn't that paywalled? it's an opinion piece anyway. opinions are like
assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

years ago we talked about raising chickens for eggs. for a long time my
wife was buying brown eggs from a coworker who raised them. some new
neighbors dogs got loose and killed most of their chickens and they gave
up. we've been buying store bought eggs since.

problem at our house is, since i'm working, my wife would be doing most
of the caring for the chickens and maintaining the coup. not a snowballs
chance in hell she wouldn't give them all names and fall in love with
them. knowing they'd eventually be given away to someone who'd eat them
once they stop producing eggs she flat out refuses to do it.

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 7:06:22 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:42:15 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
><hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>For anybody who thinks raising chickens might be a fun and inexpensive
>>way to obtain eggs, I offer you this:

>>"Think backyard chickens will solve your egg problems? Think again."
>>https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/27/egg-shortage-backyard-chickens/

> It's not only about money. It's also about getting eggs from happy
> chickens.

eggs from happy chickens taste much better than mass produced
industrial farm eggs which are also washed and irritated reducing quality
even more.

i don't see what the big hoolabaloo is about the price of eggs anyway.
my wife started complaining about it and i told her to stfu and i'll
work an extra five whole minutes of overtime every week to cover the
price difference. sheeze.

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 7:12:33 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:42:15 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>><hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>>>For anybody who thinks raising chickens might be a fun and inexpensive
>>>way to obtain eggs, I offer you this:

>>>"Think backyard chickens will solve your egg problems? Think again."
>>>https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/27/egg-shortage-backyard-chickens/

>> It's not only about money. It's also about getting eggs from happy
>> chickens.

> eggs from happy chickens taste much better than mass produced
> industrial farm eggs which are also washed and irritated reducing quality
> even more.

*irradiated

irritated eggs are fried eggs without runny yolks. lol

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 9:09:51 AM1/28/23
Good article! I like this line: "Backyard eggs are the most expensive
free food ever."

I've mentioned my boss' wife raises chickens. They started with 6 hens
but a raccoon managed to dig under the fence to the coop and killed one
of them. (They have since reinforced it about 1 ft. underground around
the coop.) Another time she found a black snake in the egg box; it had
happily eaten the eggs. They lost another hen to the bitter cold last
Christmas. She does plan to replace the two lost hens, but the others
have stopped laying eggs due to the colder weather. The article above
mentions that, too.

Jill

Gary

Jan 28, 2023, 9:11:22 AM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 5:42 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
A typical "Washington Post" article.
People have kept chickens forever.
For eggs (and sell the extras) and for meat too.

Just like Bruce, my daughter keeps a few chickens.
Enough eggs for them and it IS a bit cheaper especially with the silly
cost of eggs currently.

Regardless of cost, she likes the healthy aspect of it all - good fresh
eggs and happy chickens.

She's also just like Bruce - when the hens finally stop laying eggs, she
won't kill and eat them. They've earned their retirement and live on as
pets until they die and are buried - probably including a brief chicken
funeral service.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 9:38:07 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> For anybody who thinks raising chickens might be a fun and inexpensive
>> way to obtain eggs, I offer you this:
>
>> "Think backyard chickens will solve your egg problems? Think again."
>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/27/egg-shortage-backyard-chickens/
>
> isn't that paywalled? it's an opinion piece anyway. opinions are like
> assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

I think they allow a certain number of articles for free.

Yes, it's opinion. It's the opinion of someone who has backyard
chickens and knows the costs and labor involved, has talked to
stores that supply chicks at the retail level, and has talked
to hatcheries.

> years ago we talked about raising chickens for eggs. for a long time my
> wife was buying brown eggs from a coworker who raised them. some new
> neighbors dogs got loose and killed most of their chickens and they gave
> up. we've been buying store bought eggs since.

We had a guy at work whose kids (IIRC) kept chickens. He'd show up
once a week with a few dozen eggs. When they graduated from high
school, the eggs stopped coming.

Our neighbor across the street keeps chickens. Specifically, it's
a multigenerational family and "grandma" takes care of them.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 9:41:00 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:42:15 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
>><hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>>For anybody who thinks raising chickens might be a fun and inexpensive
>>>way to obtain eggs, I offer you this:
>
>>>"Think backyard chickens will solve your egg problems? Think again."
>>>https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/01/27/egg-shortage-backyard-chickens/
>
>> It's not only about money. It's also about getting eggs from happy
>> chickens.
>
> eggs from happy chickens taste much better than mass produced
> industrial farm eggs which are also washed and irritated reducing quality
> even more.

My husband has a friend who keeps chickens. Turns out the eggs
are too "rich" and upset his system.

> i don't see what the big hoolabaloo is about the price of eggs anyway.
> my wife started complaining about it and i told her to stfu and i'll
> work an extra five whole minutes of overtime every week to cover the
> price difference. sheeze.

I paid $4.49 for a dozen eggs. They're about $6.72 in California.
They could be $10/dozen and it wouldn't stop me from buying them--
and my husband eats eggs every day.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 9:44:00 AM1/28/23
My neighbours have about 2 dozen chickens and they get enough eggs from
then that they always have some for sale. They have a stand out by the
road with honour system payment. It's pretty handy for us. If we run low
on eggs we just go out the front door, across the driveway and grab some.

Critters can be a problem. I posted before about the old neighbour out
mowing his back yard while the hens were free ranging and the neighbour
on the other side alerting him to the coyote that was hiding behind the
wood pile watching the birds.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 9:46:03 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, f...@sdf.org <f...@sdf.org> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28, Bruce <Br...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> It's not only about money. It's also about getting eggs from happy
>>> chickens.
>
>> eggs from happy chickens taste much better than mass produced
>> industrial farm eggs which are also washed and irritated reducing quality
>> even more.
>
> *irradiated

Is anybody actually irradiating whole shell eggs for the retail market?
I know irradiation was approved in 2000. But it's a considerable
investment in an industry that has already demonstrated it doesn't
give a shit about the consumer. Ahem. The egg industry is well
aware that most Americans will buy the cheapest eggs they can, even
if they're contaminated with salmonella.

Why should irradiation matter? It doesn't make the eggs radioactive,
and cooking does more to change the proteins in the eggs than
irradiation would.

--
Cindy Hamilton

songbird

Jan 28, 2023, 9:56:19 AM1/28/23
there's a website called backyardchickens.com which has
more information and chatter going on than i can possibly
keep up with.

songbird

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 11:36:38 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

> My husband has a friend who keeps chickens. Turns out the eggs
> are too "rich" and upset his system.

that's a good way to describe it. yes, the free range home produced eggs
are more rich with both texture and flavor. we ate them when we were
having eggs with a meal. when incorporated into anything store bought
eggs were used.

>> i don't see what the big hoolabaloo is about the price of eggs anyway.
>> my wife started complaining about it and i told her to stfu and i'll
>> work an extra five whole minutes of overtime every week to cover the
>> price difference. sheeze.

> I paid $4.49 for a dozen eggs. They're about $6.72 in California.
> They could be $10/dozen and it wouldn't stop me from buying them--
> and my husband eats eggs every day.

i'm a pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of guy. if you can't afford
them either work harder so you can or do without. nobody is getting any
sympathy from me since nobody is going to die from not eating eggs.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:41:55 AM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 09:11:15 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>A typical "Washington Post" article.
>People have kept chickens forever.
>For eggs (and sell the extras) and for meat too.
>
>Just like Bruce, my daughter keeps a few chickens.
>Enough eggs for them and it IS a bit cheaper especially with the silly
>cost of eggs currently.
>
>Regardless of cost, she likes the healthy aspect of it all - good fresh
>eggs and happy chickens.
>
>She's also just like Bruce - when the hens finally stop laying eggs, she
>won't kill and eat them. They've earned their retirement and live on as
>pets until they die and are buried - probably including a brief chicken
>funeral service.

That's it. Good daughter :)

Our hens have stopped laying due to age. The only one that still lays
is a "walk-in hen". She just showed up one day. Young, super scared,
we couldn't catch her. After she'd survived in the open on our
property for 6 weeks, we finally caught her and added her to the coop.
After a week, we let her out and she came back with the others at the
end of the day. She lays most days and is still a bit scared of us,
but she's slowly improving.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:47:11 AM1/28/23
And if money was an issue, you could just eat a bit less, I mean fewer
eggs and replace them with something more affordable. No dramas.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 12:05:33 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:36:32 GMT, f...@sdf.org wrote:

>On 2023-01-28, Cindy Hamilton <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> My husband has a friend who keeps chickens. Turns out the eggs
>> are too "rich" and upset his system.
>
>that's a good way to describe it. yes, the free range home produced eggs
>are more rich with both texture and flavor. we ate them when we were
>having eggs with a meal. when incorporated into anything store bought
>eggs were used.

Years ago, I had trouble eating more than one of our own eggs in one
meal. Must have been that "richness". I don't know if it was caused by
the feed we gave them or by what they found during their free ranging
hours.

>>> i don't see what the big hoolabaloo is about the price of eggs anyway.
>>> my wife started complaining about it and i told her to stfu and i'll
>>> work an extra five whole minutes of overtime every week to cover the
>>> price difference. sheeze.
>
>> I paid $4.49 for a dozen eggs. They're about $6.72 in California.
>> They could be $10/dozen and it wouldn't stop me from buying them--
>> and my husband eats eggs every day.
>
>i'm a pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of guy. if you can't afford
>them either work harder so you can or do without. nobody is getting any
>sympathy from me since nobody is going to die from not eating eggs.

That's it. Some people act as if it's heroin and they're addicts.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2023, 1:34:53 PM1/28/23
> Cindy Hamilton

Sign in or subscribe.

But I knew from my sister-in-law's experience with chickens that I want no
part in keeping them. A dozen chickens turned into 300 and it was a 12
hour daily job, 7 days a week. It also produced some extremely heated
arguments between them.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 2:38:16 PM1/28/23
We let a hen sit on 2 eggs once. Both became little roosters. That
made 3, the father and 2 sons. A very complicated situation. Now, only
one of the sons is left. He's around 8 years old.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2023, 4:23:19 PM1/28/23
At one time she had some French(?) roosters that were a lavender color
and she could sell the eggs for $5 each to other breeders. The chicken
situation just got out of hand, but they no longer have any chickens and
have since moved. My brother was ready to cartwheels when she said
she was ready to give up the chickens.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 4:48:19 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 13:23:16 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 1:38:16 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:34:50 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >But I knew from my sister-in-law's experience with chickens that I want no
>> >part in keeping them. A dozen chickens turned into 300 and it was a 12
>> >hour daily job, 7 days a week. It also produced some extremely heated
>> >arguments between them.
>> >
>> We let a hen sit on 2 eggs once. Both became little roosters. That
>> made 3, the father and 2 sons. A very complicated situation. Now, only
>> one of the sons is left. He's around 8 years old.
>>
>At one time she had some French(?) roosters that were a lavender color
>and she could sell the eggs for $5 each to other breeders. The chicken
>situation just got out of hand, but they no longer have any chickens and
>have since moved. My brother was ready to cartwheels when she said
>she was ready to give up the chickens.

LOL. Yes, 300 must be an awful lot of work.

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 5:29:44 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 2:23 p.m., itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 1:38:16 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:34:50 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>>> But I knew from my sister-in-law's experience with chickens that I want no
>>> part in keeping them. A dozen chickens turned into 300 and it was a 12
>>> hour daily job, 7 days a week. It also produced some extremely heated
>>> arguments between them.
>>>
>> We let a hen sit on 2 eggs once. Both became little roosters. That
>> made 3, the father and 2 sons. A very complicated situation. Now, only
>> one of the sons is left. He's around 8 years old.
>>
> At one time she had some French(?) roosters that were a lavender color
> and she could sell the eggs for $5 each to other breeders.

From roosters?

Hank Rogers

Jan 28, 2023, 7:51:59 PM1/28/23
Likely they were transsexual roosters grayham.

Or veterinarians had done a sex change operation on their cloaca.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2023, 9:01:51 PM1/28/23
She was breeding these French roosters and it seems the eggs the hens
laid were quite desirable.

Michael Trew

Jan 28, 2023, 9:08:35 PM1/28/23
Unless you have 50+ chickens, you won't make much money on eggs. People
with a half dozen back-yard chickens are more interested in pets. I'm
still seriously considering this in the spring. Free eggs are just a
bonus. One can use materials on hand and build a coupe. Most of the
cost is in feed, especially during the winter. Otherwise, I think the
up-keep is what people aren't considering. Best to consider them
primarily as a pet.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 9:39:05 PM1/28/23
There is some investment in materials for the coop, the small cost of
the birds and then the ongoing cost of the feed. My neighbours have two
dozen and always seem to have lots of eggs to sell. They almost always
have them when my wife goes over to get some. if they get 10 dozen a
week and use 2 dozen they have 8 dozen to sell, so $40 towards feed and
maybe an allowance for the kids if they are looking after them. And they
get all the fresh eggs they can eat.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 10:23:57 PM1/28/23
I just saw some regulations for a couple of counties near me. Max of 10
hens, no roosters.
No sale of eggs or manure. Some towns require a permit.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 10:39:13 PM1/28/23
I don't know how it is in town here, but in the countryside, people
sell eggs, fruit, vegetables and honey here without any permits or
regulations.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 10:56:12 PM1/28/23
In our town you cannot keep chickens in the urban parts of town and on
properties under an acre in the rural part of town.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:04:38 PM1/28/23
Ah, freedom!

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 11:10:38 PM1/28/23
Michael Trew wrote:

> with a half dozen back-yard chickens are more interested in pets. I'm
> still seriously considering this in the spring. Free eggs are just a
> bonus. One can use materials on hand and build a coupe. Most of the
> cost is in feed, especially during the winter. Otherwise, I think the
> up-keep is what people aren't considering. Best to consider them
> primarily as a pet.

You'll be dealing with the predators and pests that chickens attract...

Years ago some friends in college decided to take the summer off to raise chickens in Indiana
to earn tuition money...

They loved the idea, but by the end of the saga they were so thoroughly put off by the experience
that to this day they eschew chickens and eggs and anything "poultry"...

The worst was being *attacked* by chickens, lol...

--
GM

jmcquown

Jan 29, 2023, 8:43:56 AM1/29/23
Uh, that's "coop", not "coupe". ;) The article isn't about selling eggs
to make money. It is addressing people buying chickens thinking they'll
beat the high price of eggs at the supermarket. Upkeep and feed and
heat and water sources and protection from wild critters... that's what
the article is about. That, and chickens don't tend to lay eggs in the
winter so you'd still have to buy eggs while paying to feed those
backyard hens that quit laying.

Jill

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 1:56:44 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 08:43:46 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
They don't completely stop laying in winter, at least not here. Maybe
they slow down a little, but I haven't even noticed that.

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 2:07:51 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:02:17 -0000 (UTC), heyjoe <add...@is.invalid>
wrote:

>Millenials aren't sure what farms are or where their food comes from,
>but . . . they KNOW what the weather will be in 2030.

Very bad if it's up to the boomers.

bruce bowser

Jan 29, 2023, 4:23:00 PM1/29/23
Don't be an egg fan in the first place.

Michael Trew

Jan 29, 2023, 10:51:32 PM1/29/23
Yes, that's probably how the countryside is everywhere. In the limits
of my city, you're allowed up to 6 chickens, but no roosters. No
mention of an issue with selling eggs, etc. Of course, they'll only
enforce this if your neighbor is a jerk and feels like reporting you.
Out of city limits, do as you please.

Michael Trew

Jan 29, 2023, 10:54:28 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 8:43, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/28/2023 9:08 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>
>> Unless you have 50+ chickens, you won't make much money on eggs.
>> People with a half dozen back-yard chickens are more interested in
>> pets. I'm still seriously considering this in the spring. Free eggs
>> are just a bonus. One can use materials on hand and build a coupe.
>> Most of the cost is in feed, especially during the winter. Otherwise,
>> I think the up-keep is what people aren't considering. Best to
>> consider them primarily as a pet.
>
> Uh, that's "coop", not "coupe". ;)

I caught that too late... I was wondering who was going to hassle me ;)

Alternatively, I can take one of the doors off of an old rusty coupe in
my yard, and turn it into a chicken coop, LOL.

> The article isn't about selling eggs
> to make money. It is addressing people buying chickens thinking they'll
> beat the high price of eggs at the supermarket.

I know. If done smart, you probably could make money. I priced it out
from people who own chickens a few years back, and at the price of eggs
then, I figured that I'd break even.

Either way, I agree, it's still best to only keep them if you're amused
by the idea of chickens as pets. Baby chicks are probably going to be
in short supply, and very expensive this year. It was 50 cents/chick at
tractor supply or an auction house before the pandemic.

Michael Trew

Jan 29, 2023, 10:56:04 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 11:02, heyjoe wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote :
>
>> I paid $4.49 for a dozen eggs. They're about $6.72 in California.
>> They could be $10/dozen and it wouldn't stop me from buying them--
>> and my husband eats eggs every day.
>
> We typically buy eggs at Aldi. Cheaper than the mainstrem grocers.
> Before the covid scare, usually bought their organic, cage free eggs -
> less than $3.00 per dozen. Just last week, their cheap eggs were $4.79
> a dozen.

I found a dozen eggs at the Family Dollar for $3.20/doz... score!! They
are well over $5/doz at the grocery store -- no thanks! I should shop
at ALDI more frequently, with the cost of groceries lately.

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 11:06:00 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 22:51:27 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/28/2023 22:39, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 22:23:51 -0500, Ed Pawlowski<e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
>>> I just saw some regulations for a couple of counties near me. Max of 10
>>> hens, no roosters.
>>> No sale of eggs or manure. Some towns require a permit.
>>
>> I don't know how it is in town here, but in the countryside, people
>> sell eggs, fruit, vegetables and honey here without any permits or
>> regulations.
>
>Yes, that's probably how the countryside is everywhere. In the limits
>of my city, you're allowed up to 6 chickens, but no roosters.

That's understandable.

>No mention of an issue with selling eggs, etc. Of course, they'll only
>enforce this if your neighbor is a jerk and feels like reporting you.
>Out of city limits, do as you please.

Yes, you only can't grow pot. And there is or was an issue with
bananas.

Gary

Jan 31, 2023, 9:22:37 AM1/31/23
It's legal now to grow up to 5 pot plants in Virginia.
Oddly, still illegal to sell any parts including seeds.

Bruce

Jan 31, 2023, 10:18:29 AM1/31/23
Authorities have such a hard time with this, especially in Australia.
In the meantime, everybody can drink all the whiskey they want.

Dave Smith

Jan 31, 2023, 11:37:13 AM1/31/23
I can't help but think of the exploits of John Chapman AKA Johnny
Appleseed who made it his life's career to plant apple trees all over
the country. Maybe we need someone like Johnny Pothead to go around
planted marijuana.

songbird

Feb 1, 2023, 6:58:27 AM2/1/23
Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:22:30 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>>It's legal now to grow up to 5 pot plants in Virginia.
>>Oddly, still illegal to sell any parts including seeds.
>>
> Authorities have such a hard time with this, especially in Australia.
> In the meantime, everybody can drink all the whiskey they want.

nothing odd about that at all. when people start selling
stuff then the state wants a cut in the form of taxes.

in Michigan we can grow 12 plants but you can't sell it
without a license and all the regulations.

we grew 10 plants each of the past two seasons and decided
that was enough. saved a bunch of money for a friend as
neither of us smoked or used it so we gave it all to them.
if you looked at the price paid per ounce you'd understand
why it would be a good idea to grow your own if you could.

all the seeds and plants we used were given to us.

they are really beautiful plants when they start out, but
they really get stinky and then towards the end the plants
start breaking stems as they get heavy with flower buds.

songbird

Dave Smith

Feb 1, 2023, 9:51:06 AM2/1/23
On 2023-02-01 6:56 a.m., songbird wrote:

> they are really beautiful plants when they start out, but
> they really get stinky and then towards the end the plants
> start breaking stems as they get heavy with flower buds.

The smell is a major issue here. When cannibis was decriminalized here
a few years ago there were a number of large legally licensed grow ops
that opened up in our town. They really stink. I don't mind the smell
but a lot of people really hate it.

Bruce

Feb 1, 2023, 1:37:58 PM2/1/23
On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 06:56:22 -0500, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2023 09:22:30 -0500, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:
>>>It's legal now to grow up to 5 pot plants in Virginia.
>>>Oddly, still illegal to sell any parts including seeds.
>>>
>> Authorities have such a hard time with this, especially in Australia.
>> In the meantime, everybody can drink all the whiskey they want.
>
> nothing odd about that at all. when people start selling
>stuff then the state wants a cut in the form of taxes.

That doesn't explain why pot is illegal in many places.

Nem Tudom

Feb 1, 2023, 1:55:11 PM2/1/23
If you masturbate after smoking marijuana, is it considered
high-jacking or weed-whacking?

songbird

Feb 1, 2023, 1:57:50 PM2/1/23
Dave Smith wrote:
> that opened up in our town. They really stink. I don't mind the smell
> but a lot of people really hate it.

neighboring small town has several grow ops plus
processing and there are frequent complaints about the
stenches.

for us it's a matter of irritation and we can't do
much in those areas for a few months. they take up a
lot of space. i'd rather grow food.

songbird

Dave Smith

Feb 1, 2023, 2:33:36 PM2/1/23
For me it depends on the state of their crop, the time of year and the
wind direction. We have a predominate wind from the west or tad to the
south of that. There is a huge pot farm WNW so the stench blows by a
little to the north of us. The other major operation is about 1 1/2
miles south east. We only occasionally get a southeast wind, but when we
do, that one has a powerful reek. I used to car pool to the gym with
two friends and there were many times when I detected a very strong
order of pot and they smelled nothing.

Dave Smith

Feb 1, 2023, 2:34:53 PM2/1/23
Given the subject line, I would say it is choking the chicken.
Why not ask out resident mastur of the topic.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 1, 2023, 2:40:34 PM2/1/23
Politician know the downside of it so banned it. Smoke one joint and
you will soon get on hard drugs, ruin your life, destroy your family and
commit horrendous crimes.

Worse than mashed potatoes. Statistics show that 8 of 10 murderers ate
mashed potatoes in the months before committing their crime.
Therefore . . .

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 1, 2023, 2:43:31 PM2/1/23
It's legal in some states but federally it's not.

Several weeks ago I was watching one of the "Border Patrol" episodes.
They had stopped a German student that had come for the Coachella
music festival and a tiny smidge of weed was found in his luggage. His
visa was suspended for 10 years for re-entering the USA.

Bruce

Feb 1, 2023, 2:50:21 PM2/1/23
Yes, the gateway drug theory. Then beer is a gateway drink for
whiskey, vodka etc. Have a couple of beers and 5 years later you live
under a bridge.

I don't know why Australia's so anal about pot. Maybe they still look
at what the UK does and they're retarded about this too. This is
something the US and Canada deal with better than the UK and AU.

Nem Tudom

Feb 1, 2023, 2:53:17 PM2/1/23
On 2/1/2023 11:40 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Politician know the downside of it so banned it.  Smoke one joint and
> you will soon get on hard drugs, ruin your life, destroy your family and
> commit horrendous crimes.
>
> Worse than mashed potatoes.  Statistics show that 8 of 10 murderers ate
> mashed potatoes in the months before committing their crime.
> Therefore . . .

Seems like a huge proportion of those on death row were fed breast milk
as babies. Ban hammer time!

Bruce

Feb 1, 2023, 2:58:26 PM2/1/23
Ridiculous. I wonder what they'd do here. I hope the cop would just
shrug and move on, but that wouldn't be by the book.

Dave Smith

Feb 1, 2023, 4:05:11 PM2/1/23
It's hard to muster much sympathy for someone who tries to smuggle even
small amounts of illegal drugs into a country, especially one which has
a well known zero tolerance and stiff penalties. I also had no
tolerance for Brittney Griner when she got busted in Russia. I could
not figure out why so many Americans where so upset and acted as if it
was some sort of political issue. She got little worse in Russia that
she would have got at home had she got caught smuggling it into the US.

Ed Pawlowski

Feb 1, 2023, 6:45:46 PM2/1/23
On 2/1/2023 4:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> It's hard to muster much sympathy for someone who tries to smuggle even
> small amounts of illegal drugs into a country, especially one which has
> a well known zero tolerance and stiff penalties.

Agree. Buy local. support local businesses.

I also had no
> tolerance for Brittney Griner when she got busted in Russia.  I could
> not figure out why so many Americans where so upset and acted as if it
> was some sort of political  issue. She got little worse in Russia that
> she would have got at home had she got caught smuggling it into the US.

Considering the different laws around the world it was stupid on her
part. OTOH, it was a good opportunity for Russia to make a political
statement.
Good thing it was not in Saudi Arabia, she could have been flogged.

Hank Rogers

Feb 1, 2023, 7:49:03 PM2/1/23
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/1/2023 4:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> It's hard to muster much sympathy for someone who tries to
>> smuggle even small amounts of illegal drugs into a country,
>> especially one which has a well known zero tolerance and stiff
>> penalties.
>
> Agree.  Buy local.  support local businesses.
>

>  I also had no
>> tolerance for Brittney Griner when she got busted in Russia.  I
>> could not figure out why so many Americans where so upset and
>> acted as if it was some sort of political  issue. She got little
>> worse in Russia that she would have got at home had she got
>> caught smuggling it into the US.
>
> Considering the different laws around the world it was stupid on
> her part.  OTOH, it was a good opportunity for Russia to make a
> political statement.
> Good thing it was not in Saudi Arabia, she could have been flogged.

If she'd been in north america, she'd only have suffered from trash
dumped on her lawn by officer Dave.

Bruce

Feb 1, 2023, 9:26:33 PM2/1/23
I've imported hard liquor into various countries. Nobody ever had a
problem with that. But a "tiny smidge of weed" is a drama. Ridiculous.

Bruce

Feb 1, 2023, 9:27:44 PM2/1/23
Certain Arab and Asian countries are backward hellholes that shouldn't
exist anymore in 2023.

songbird

Feb 3, 2023, 3:04:48 PM2/3/23
Bruce wrote:
> That doesn't explain why pot is illegal in many places.

that is not the point i was addressing.

i was responding to someone talking about a place where
it was already legal to grow.

songbird

Bruce

Feb 3, 2023, 3:15:13 PM2/3/23
On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 14:31:25 -0500, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
wrote:
I have no idea. You snipped everything.

songbird

Feb 5, 2023, 9:04:27 AM2/5/23
Bruce wrote:
> I have no idea. You snipped everything.

the references are there to get to the parent articles if
you need more context.

songbird