Eggless Fried Rice

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 11:16:57 AM8/21/07
Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
delicious.

cybercat

Aug 21, 2007, 11:21:17 AM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

So do that. You can also just leave the egg out, and it is fine.

Paul M. Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 11:29:03 AM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I guess I'm missing something in your question, but here goes:

remove the eggs from the ingredient list
prepare as otherwise directed.

Paul

Message has been deleted

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 12:15:33 PM8/21/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this?
>
> These questions from Google Groups keep getting harder and
> harder. One day they're gonna post a trick question of some
> sort.
>
> -sw

And you thought my questions were hard...

Paul M. Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 12:20:12 PM8/21/07

"Scott" <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?

Paul

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 12:25:11 PM8/21/07
I need a recipe for a hamburger without the ham. I had at one time but
lost it. Can't find on google either.

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 12:36:25 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 11:16?am, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

The bits of egg are little more than a garnish, simply omit. If you
like you can add something else to add interest instead, like sliced
mushrooms. I never knew there was an actual recipe for fried rice,
isn't it just a way to use up whatever left overs... I sometimes make
Chinese fried rice with no rice, I use left over pasta instead.

Sheldon

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:03:40 PM8/21/07
In article <1187709417.3...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just make fried rice...

and leave out the eggs!

If you are concerned about the texture issue, substitute some tofu
chunks.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:04:46 PM8/21/07
In article <vNmdnUzppqV2jFbb...@giganews.com>,
Scott <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Y'all are being cruel now. ;-)

Be nice to the cooking newbies please?

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:05:18 PM8/21/07
In article <1187714185.6...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

Now that is an interesting idea...

Dan Abel

Aug 21, 2007, 1:10:26 PM8/21/07
In article <0hEyi.1255$Uf7.722@trnddc06>,

Yeah, but it takes too long to scrape the cheese off.

:-)

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 1:15:01 PM8/21/07

You must work at McDonald's

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 2:28:42 PM8/21/07

The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...

--
Jani in WA

Peter A

Aug 21, 2007, 2:39:03 PM8/21/07
In article <fafasq$40f2...@news.avvanta.com>,
Little...@gmail.communge says...

You can also throw in some fried tofu (age, pronounced ah-gay) which has
a consistency similar to eggs.

--
Peter Aitken

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 3:04:46 PM8/21/07

Based on most of the idiotic and sarcastic responses, I'm guessing
many people have never eaten real chinese fried rice, or what you
think is real chinese fried rice -- isn't.

I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
been reduced to..

Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.

Anyway, whoever said to put tofu instead -- thanks, I'll try that.

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree

Aug 21, 2007, 3:11:15 PM8/21/07

"Little Malice" <Little...@gmail.communge> wrote in message

> One time on Usenet, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>>
>> I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
>> egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
>> did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
>> Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
>> delicious.

Not being a Biotch here but roe is fish eggs. Depending on what component of
the egg causes your allergy you might also be susceptible to an allergic
reaction from roe. Just a thought.

Cindi

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 3:34:45 PM8/21/07

Good idea -- I should have thought of that...

--
Jani in WA

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 3:42:18 PM8/21/07

Dan Abel

Aug 21, 2007, 3:44:30 PM8/21/07
In article <1187723086.6...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 12:36 pm, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:

> > isn't it just a way to use up whatever left overs... I sometimes make
> > Chinese fried rice with no rice, I use left over pasta instead.

> Based on most of the idiotic and sarcastic responses, I'm guessing

> many people have never eaten real chinese fried rice, or what you
> think is real chinese fried rice -- isn't.
>
> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> been reduced to..

Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
served to round eyes.

Having said that, I like fried rice and often order it.

Message has been deleted

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 3:55:23 PM8/21/07
In article <mcgmc3hrn3nbb3blc...@4ax.com>,
Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> >> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> >> been reduced to..
> >
> >Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
> >to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
> >certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
> >in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
> >served to round eyes.
>

> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Amusing.

That is the way I tend to treat Omelets. ;-)

"Leftovers" Omelets are wonderful.

Around here (south central Texas), mix with eggs and stuff into a flour
tortilla for breakfast tacos, with a bit of added salsa.

Leftovers, if treated properly, can be as big of a treat as the original
meal.

I may also use leftovers in green salads depending on what they are.

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 3:56:01 PM8/21/07

The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.

The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
(spicey).

Btw, I hope she's reading this, because the best thing your fiancee
can do is to dump you, you are ignorant, hostile, and abusive... she
needs to literally run for her life.

Sheldon

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 3:58:44 PM8/21/07
In article <1187726161.2...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
> > ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
> > fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
> > rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.
>
> The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
> more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.

Not at MY house!!!

> The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
> not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
> wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
> the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
> ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
> especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
> Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
> they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
> at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
> dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
> msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
> (spicey).

You must eat at different Chinese places than I do...
But, we do live in different States (in more ways than one).

> Sheldon

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 3:58:56 PM8/21/07
Attributions reinstated:

One time on Usenet, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> said:

> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Abe, please watch your attributions -- I had no idea who you
were replying to. I agree, however. I think the OP, who was
obviously too lazy to look this up for him/herself, has some
strange ideas about fried rice...

--
Jani in WA

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 4:03:40 PM8/21/07
In article <fafg60$2c0f...@news.avvanta.com>,
Little...@gmail.communge (Little Malice) wrote:

Nah.

He/she probably just thinks that recipes are written in stone. :-)

Those of us that really know how to cook know better.

I rarely follow recipes. I cook mostly by what I have on hand, and to
personal tastes and adjust accordingly.

I almost never make anything the same way twice, and I rarely measure
ingredients using measuring tools. I most often make it up as I go
along. If something turns out exceptionally well or I want to post it, I
try to remember at least approximate amounts to scribble down.

And I'm ok with that. :-d

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 4:21:17 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:58?pm, Omelet <omp_ome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <1187726161.238993.281...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
> > > ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
> > > fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
> > > rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.
>
> > The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
> > more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.
>
> Not at MY house!!!

Talkin' restaurants here... whoever told you Chinese restaurant food
ain't fattening lied.. it's about the highest caloric content food on
the planet, most of those calories from fat.

> > The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
> > not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
> > wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
> > the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
> > ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
> > especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
> > Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
> > they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
> > at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
> > dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
> > msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
> > (spicey).
>
> You must eat at different Chinese places than I do...
> But, we do live in different States (in more ways than one).

Odds are you don't have Chinese restaurants anywhere nearby... there
are none within a hundred miles of where I live now either. And those
take outs and buffets don't serve anything resembling North American
China Town restaurant food.... every one I've ever been to serves
fried rice more akin to Puerto Rican rice. Those take outs and
buffets scattered about most every neighborhood serve Chinese food
like Taco Bell serves Mexican food.

Sheldon

Peter A

Aug 21, 2007, 4:21:35 PM8/21/07
In article <1187723086.6...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
ebr...@gmail.com says...

> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> been reduced to.

But that's exactly what it is and has been for centuries. Here's a quote
from Irene Kuo's book "The Key to Chinese Cooking:"

"Fried rice, created primarily as a way to reheat leftover cold rice, is
an incidental in the Chinese diet. It is a snack, served in the
afternoon or eaten on a train or in a restaurant; it is never served
with a regular meal."

--
Peter Aitken

Message has been deleted

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 4:39:18 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:34?pm, Little.Mal...@gmail.communge (Little Malice)
wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Peter A <pait...@CRAPnc.rr.com> said:
>

> > In article <fafasq$40f2_...@news.avvanta.com>,
> > Little.Mal...@gmail.communge says...

> > > The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...
>
> > You can also throw in some fried tofu (age, pronounced ah-gay) which has
> > a consistency similar to eggs.
>
> Good idea -- I should have thought of that...

Why?

I've eaten at every China Town in the US and Canada, never seen tofo
in fried rice... in fact tofu is not a common ingredient on their
menus, very few dishes contain tofu and in those few dishes it's added
in minute quantites. In case you've never noticed very very few
Chinese people eat at the places that cater to round eyes. Few round
eyes will eat tofu, it would get scraped to the edge of the dish and
left there... they are not going to waste ingredients that round eyes
typically won't eat. If you want authentic Chinese food then
patronize those Chinese eateries where the Chinese people eat...
hopefully you are fluent in the various dialects... and be prepared to
be disgusted by a lot of the viands that arrive. Btw, they don't eat
fly lice, won't be on their menu.

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 21, 2007, 4:53:31 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 11:15 am, Scott <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article <0hEyi.1255$Uf7.722@trnddc06>,
> > "Paul M. Cook" <pmBERMUDA_SHORTSc...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Scott" <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?
>
> > Yeah, but it takes too long to scrape the cheese off.
>
> > :-)
>
> You must work at McDonald's

I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today. Why
can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with it, the
process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-
make it. I called their comments line. They're going to send me a
coupon for a free burger.

--Bryan

notbob

Aug 21, 2007, 5:00:43 PM8/21/07
On 2007-08-21, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> parts of earlier posts that don't pertain to my reply. I guess I've
> gotten a little over zealous.

No you haven't. Keep up the good work.

nb

Message has been deleted

Ward Abbott

Aug 21, 2007, 5:39:47 PM8/21/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

The first thing that occured to me is.....DON'T PUT THE DAMN THINGS
IN!! You are allergic to them!!! And who needs a recipe for
fried rice.......

Default User

Aug 21, 2007, 5:50:11 PM8/21/07
Abe wrote:

> Okie Dokie. I guess I trim too much. I try to makes my posts as
> succinct as possible by removing blank lines, attribution lines, and

> parts of earlier posts that don't pertain to my reply. I guess I've
> gotten a little over zealous.

Most of that is a good idea, but not removing attributions. Obviously,
if you remove everything a person had contributed, then the attribution
line should go as well.

Brian

won't shut up.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:48:49 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:49 pm, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> >> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> >> been reduced to..
>
> >Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
> >to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
> >certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
> >in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
> >served to round eyes.
>
> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Hilarious.. and let me guess, the restaurant is called Ho-Lee-Chow or
Man-Chu-Wok?

cybercat

Aug 21, 2007, 6:55:10 PM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote

> Hilarious.. and let me guess, the restaurant is called Ho-Lee-Chow or
> Man-Chu-Wok?

Come on, man, it was a stupid question. Suck it up.

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:56:49 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:11 pm, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
<lonnicusuoTAKEME...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Little Malice" <Little.Mal...@gmail.communge> wrote in message
> > Jani in WA- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I considered that as well, i'm allergic to chicken eggs.. or
probably poultry eggs. I've never had a problem with fish eggs..
probably has something to do with the make up of the protein. We had
a fairly long discussion here a few months ago about my (and others')
allergy.

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:58:54 PM8/21/07

I had a craving for it. Whenever we eat out everyone orders fried
rice but I can't have any because it's got eggs in it. Some people
here say there's no egg in their fried rice, at least in their areas
of restaurants.. I dunno, I've been avoiding egg-filled fried rice
here in Toronto for the last 29 years, I don't think I've ever seen
fried rice without egg in it, unless you order specifically to which
case most often you get a funny look and the waiter/waitress has to
run to the back to ask the manager if it's even possible.

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 21, 2007, 7:04:33 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 4:43 pm, Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:53:31 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> > I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today. Why
> > can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with it, the
> > process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-
> > make it. I called their comments line. They're going to send me a
> > coupon for a free burger.
>
> McDonalds doesn't have a Comments Line. Or email.

Yes, they do: http://www.mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html

It's not exactly email, but it is a contact page.

> -sw

--Bryan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted