Supper 1/27

Michael Trew

Jan 27, 2023, 5:04:53 PM1/27/23
What's cooking tonight?

I made a big pot of Haluski earlier (couple yellow onions and cabbage
fried, mixed with buttered noodles, kielbasa coins, and S/P). Yes, I
tried the turkey Kielbasa. It's a world better than turkey bacon, or
some other turkey alternatives, but I probably won't buy it again.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 27, 2023, 5:16:27 PM1/27/23
Rib eye steak, baked potato, mushrooms and onions, salad, Cabernet
Sauvignon.

Dinner about 6

dsi1

Jan 27, 2023, 5:51:03 PM1/27/23
I have to go to a banquet put on by the Department of Parks & Recreations for vendors, suppliers, and people that donate money/good/services. "Banquet" is an overestimation of the affair since it's a pretty low-rent dinner. My guess is that we'll be eating spaghetti. I'll have to remember to bring my insulin pen and a bib. Hopefully, they'll have garlic bread - of course they'll have garlic bread. :)

Dave Smith

Jan 27, 2023, 5:55:47 PM1/27/23
I am envious. I love rib eye steaks.
It's Friday and my wife always gets fresh fish. She's working on it now
but I don't know what it is. Update later.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 27, 2023, 6:02:59 PM1/27/23
It was sushi here and it was eaten quite early.

Maybe a peanut butter and banana sandwich later.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 27, 2023, 6:05:14 PM1/27/23
On 2023-01-27, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> What's cooking tonight?

Nothing. A salad with chicken on it, dressed with lemon vinaigrette.

Lunch was Chinese take-out.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 27, 2023, 6:20:44 PM1/27/23
I thought fish on Friday was a Catholic thing. And that most Dutch
emigrants from the old days were mainly Dutch Reformed -aka
fundamentalist- Protestants.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Jan 27, 2023, 6:42:25 PM1/27/23
Pan fried cod loin (nope, I'm not worried about the cost of the egg used
in the egg wash for the coating) and steamed asparagus. This is one of
my "incomplete" meals. No french fries.

Jill

Dave Smith

Jan 27, 2023, 6:54:17 PM1/27/23
Ours turned out to be (Atlantic) salmon fillets, steamed asparagus, air
fries and a salad.

S Viemeister

Jan 27, 2023, 7:01:47 PM1/27/23
My Protestant Granny often served fish on Fridays - there were always
lots to choose from that day. She taught me to never buy fish on
Mondays, as the fishermen never went out on the Sabbath.

Dave Smith

Jan 27, 2023, 7:04:17 PM1/27/23
Friday is our shopping day. We get fresh fish.

William Stickers

Jan 27, 2023, 7:06:28 PM1/27/23
itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> Maybe a peanut butter and banana sandwich later.

That gave everyone in here the munchies.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 27, 2023, 7:07:55 PM1/27/23
If it was a good idea in 1950 it is a good idea now.

Still some Friday Fish Frys and such around. Hey, we have to support
the seafood industry.

Bruce

Jan 27, 2023, 7:13:56 PM1/27/23
The travelling fish market in my home town, always came by on Mondays
and Fridays. I guess fishermen aren't as religious anymore these days.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Jan 27, 2023, 7:41:14 PM1/27/23
I cook fish whenever I feel like it. Just so happens today is Friday. :)

Jill

S Viemeister

Jan 27, 2023, 8:00:16 PM1/27/23
I'll be cooking fish tomorrow. Atlantic cod fried in an almond meal batter.

dsi1

Jan 27, 2023, 9:44:40 PM1/27/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 12:04:53 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
I made some shrimp curry for my wife. I'm going out to dinner tonight. I used shelled and deveined shrimp for this because trying to peel the shrimp would just make a mess. I used coconut milk instead of coconut cream. The dish didn't have much of a coconut flavor. Next time I use coconut cream and thin it down if need be.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2f4ZqG878XrzwnnF6

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 12:05:43 AM1/28/23
At my uni hall, fish was served at dinner every Friday, pandering
to the small number of papist students.

--
With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come. And let my liver rather
heat with wine, than my heart cool with mortifying groans. MofV: I/1

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 12:49:48 AM1/28/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 11:05:43 PM UTC-6, Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-27 4:20 p.m., Bruce wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:55:42 -0500, Dave Smith
> > <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> I am envious. I love rib eye steaks.
> >> It's Friday and my wife always gets fresh fish. She's working on it now
> >> but I don't know what it is. Update later.
> >>
> > I thought fish on Friday was a Catholic thing. And that most Dutch
> > emigrants from the old days were mainly Dutch Reformed -aka
> > fundamentalist- Protestants.
> >
> At my uni hall, fish was served at dinner every Friday, pandering
> to the small number of papist students.

No need to blaspheme Catholics who choose to exercise their GOD - GIVEN rights, Graham...!!!

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 1:00:51 AM1/28/23
Bickering between Catholics and Protestants is very pre 1990s. Both
have become a lot less important. I call that progress.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 4:39:30 AM1/28/23
Those of us who are 800 miles from the ocean are more concerned
about when the fish was defrosted.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 4:41:09 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 2023-01-27 4:20 p.m., Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 17:55:42 -0500, Dave Smith
>> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> I am envious. I love rib eye steaks.
>>> It's Friday and my wife always gets fresh fish. She's working on it now
>>> but I don't know what it is. Update later.
>>>
>> I thought fish on Friday was a Catholic thing. And that most Dutch
>> emigrants from the old days were mainly Dutch Reformed -aka
>> fundamentalist- Protestants.
>>
> At my uni hall, fish was served at dinner every Friday, pandering
> to the small number of papist students.

It probably was at mine, too--although I can't remember. What I
_do_ remember is the peas-and-carrots pizza for the vegetarians.

--
Cindy Hamilton

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 7:18:54 AM1/28/23
Freezers were a wonderful invention. Granny, like many people in
Scotland at that time, didn't even have a fridge.

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 8:13:25 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-27, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
i got home late. had a can of tuna in water and went to bed.

this morning i'm running on two bananas, two oranges, and a half dozen
cups of tea.

after work my wife wants lunch at Popeye's, i will oblige.

am visiting my parents after that so dinner will probably be something
grotesque unless they order pizza.

will stop at an ice cream parlor for a strawberry sundae on the way
home. once home i'll have driven 180 miles today.

wine and a movie on Netflix once there, then off to bed.

am getting up at 2:00am tomorrow to start making a large batch of pork
broth for ramen soups. that'll simmer on the stove for at least 16
hours. there will be power naps during the day.

for lunch tomorrow am making asparagus soup.

dinner could be anything from cheese, pepperoni and crackers washed down
with wine to a vegetable salad and blend of rooibos and chamomile tea.

monday morning will be up at 4:00am to go to work... wash... rinse...
repeat.

--
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
-- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

Bryan Simmons

Jan 28, 2023, 8:25:18 AM1/28/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 7:13:25 AM UTC-6, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> after work my wife wants lunch at Popeye's, i will oblige.

Popeyes does not have an apostrophe. It has
spectacular spicy bone-in chicken, but it doesn't
have an apostrophe. Also, they let you order the
Cajun gravy by itself, without the crappy mashed
potatoes, so you can take it home and have it
with well made mashed potatoes.

--Bryan

Gary

Jan 28, 2023, 8:40:37 AM1/28/23
That's true in your area. Most of the "fresh" seafood that you see on
ice in the showcase is just previously frozen.

Best to just buy frozen then thaw it when ready to cook. Nothing wrong
with frozen stuff.

Whenever I have truly fresh fish it's from friends that like to fish and
they will bring me (on request), one or two caught that day and kept
cold on ice.

Without friends like that, buy from a local seafood market.

Gary

Jan 28, 2023, 8:42:29 AM1/28/23
Yikes. ;-O

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 28, 2023, 8:44:12 AM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:18:45 +0000, S Viemeister
My grandmother didn't have a 'fridge either. She had a great larder
whose wall did not get the sun until very late in the day, all the
shelves were covered in slate and you were in trouble if you did not
shut the door when leaving it. It was noticeably cooler than the
kitchen.

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 9:24:47 AM1/28/23
ah hah. it was you who highly recommended Popeyes without an apostrophe.
it couldn't remember who it was. thanks for that.

we did trial runs at both Chick-fil-A and Popeyes without an apostrophe
and Popeyes without an apostrophe is the clear winner. there aren't many
of either around here in Western New York so you have to look for them
unlike KFC which has locations seemingly everywhere.

i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
buying their food. it spares us an argument.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 9:31:08 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 12:05 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-27 4:20 p.m., Bruce wrote:

>>> I am envious. I love rib eye steaks.
>>> It's Friday and my wife always gets fresh fish. She's working on it now
>>> but I don't know what it is.  Update later.
>>>
>> I thought fish on Friday was a Catholic thing. And that most Dutch
>> emigrants from the old days were mainly Dutch Reformed -aka
>> fundamentalist- Protestants.
>>
> At my uni hall, fish was served at dinner every Friday, pandering
> to the small number of papist students.

There is nothing religious about it for us. We tend to go our shopping
on Fridays and we pick up fresh fish. It is a tradition started years
ago when I used to stop for groceries on the way home from work on
Fridays. Salmon started to become a lot more affordable. One day I
bought some and stopped at the Italian bakery and got a loaf of bread .
Supper than night was grilled salmon steaks, a simple salad, fresh bread
and a bottle of Gevurztraminer . It was a quick and easy supper and we
got into the habit. After a while I started to worry that we would get
bored with it and wondered how long it would go on. It's been more than
30 years now. We change the fish once in a while and get Arctic char,
rainbow trout or haddock, and will have asparagus if it looks good and
doesn't cost a fortune. We did some shrimp and pasta dishes until my
wife developed her problem with shrimp. I can see the fish on Friday
thing going on a lot longer.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 9:47:40 AM1/28/23
My point was that for many of us, Granny's advice is irrelevant.

I bet there are a lot of fishermen out on the water on the Sabbath,
especially if we're talking about those huge factory ships in the
Arctic.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 9:57:22 AM1/28/23
A very different time and place. My grandmother grew up in Detroit
in the 1920s; had her first child in 1934. By the time I was old
enough to notice stuff (mother and I lived with my grandparents
until I was nine), she had a refrigerator, deep freeze, automatic
washer, and dryer. Automatic transmission in her car (every adult in
the family had their own car). Color television as far back as I
can remember; I suspect I just can't remember back far enough to
recall a B&W television--I'm sure they had one in my lifetime.
Central heat: gas-fired forced air just as I have in my current house.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 10:04:31 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 8:40 a.m., Gary wrote:
> On 1/28/2023 4:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> My Protestant Granny often served fish on Fridays - there were always
>>> lots to choose from that day. She taught me to never buy fish on
>>> Mondays, as the fishermen never went out on the Sabbath.
>>
>> Those of us who are 800 miles from the ocean are more concerned
>> about when the fish was defrosted.
>
> That's true in your area. Most of the "fresh" seafood that you see on
> ice in the showcase is just previously frozen.

It depends on the type of seafood. Modern shipping methods gets stuff
to market a lot faster these days so sometimes you can get some fresh
never frozen fish. Farmed salmon and trout are commonly available fresh
here.

> Best to just buy frozen then thaw it when ready to cook. Nothing wrong
> with frozen stuff.

There is some good frozen fish. Fresh is usually better.

> Whenever I have truly fresh fish it's from friends that like to fish and
> they will bring me (on request), one or two caught that day and kept
> cold on ice.
>
> Without friends like that, buy from a local seafood market.

There used to be a trout farm near here. A friend's father ran it for
years. I used to be able to go over there and the guy would scoop out
some fish, kill and clean them and I could drive back home in 5 min and
cook them.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 10:09:13 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:

> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
> buying their food. it spares us an argument.

Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 10:20:14 AM1/28/23
I think you meant so-called "Christians"!

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 10:26:05 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 10:20 a.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 8:09 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
>>

>>> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
>>> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
>>> buying their food. it spares us an argument.
>>>

>> Do you also boycott businesses run by  Moslems , Orthodox Jews,
>> Sikhs, and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and
>> beliefs contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for
>> Christians?
>>
> I think you meant so-called "Christians"!

It kinda depends. They used to all be quite fundamentalist. These days
things have eased up in most denominations but there are still those who
hate to see other people enjoying themselves.

Remember the three main differences between religions:
Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah
Protestants don't recognize the Pope as head of the church
Southern Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

Bryan Simmons

Jan 28, 2023, 10:43:42 AM1/28/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 9:26:05 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:20 a.m., Graham wrote:

> >> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews,
> >> Sikhs, and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and
> >> beliefs contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for
> >> Christians?

Chick-fil-A profits go to anti-gay rights political causes.

> > I think you meant so-called "Christians"!
> It kinda depends. They used to all be quite fundamentalist. These days
> things have eased up in most denominations but there are still those who
> hate to see other people enjoying themselves.

They can hate it all they want. When they try to make
things illegal, then they become enemies.

> Remember the three main differences between religions:
> Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah
> Protestants don't recognize the Pope as head of the church
> Southern Baptists don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

And Catholic priests don't recognize each other
at NAMBLA events.

--Bryan

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 10:44:01 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 8:40 a.m., Gary wrote:

>>> Those of us who are 800 miles from the ocean are more concerned
>>> about when the fish was defrosted.
>>
>> That's true in your area. Most of the "fresh" seafood that you see on
>> ice in the showcase is just previously frozen.
>
> It depends on the type of seafood. Modern shipping methods gets stuff
> to market a lot faster these days so sometimes you can get some fresh
> never frozen fish. Farmed salmon and trout are commonly available fresh
> here.

The only decent fishmonger here is downtown and parking is a bitch.
I don't trust any of the grocery stores; most of them don't claim
"fresh" or "previously frozen"--they just say "Atlantic salmon".

So I generally buy frozen and defrost it myself, so that I know
when and under what conditions.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 10:48:27 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
What do you care? You certainly seem worked up about something that
isn't even a boycott.

I'm happy to boycott Chick-Fil-A and avoid Eden Foods, but shop at
the little market run by a Muslim couple.

--
Cindy Hamilton

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 11:08:22 AM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 10:48 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
>>

>>> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
>>> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
>>> buying their food. it spares us an argument.
>>>

>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>
> What do you care? You certainly seem worked up about something that
> isn't even a boycott.

I never thought about Chic-Fil-A one way or the other. I seem to recall
some kerfuffle years ago about gay men getting all upset and staging
some sort of protest by hanging around and flamboyantly kissing each
other at some Chic-Filet locations to make a point. Sure sounded stupid.

> I'm happy to boycott Chick-Fil-A and avoid Eden Foods, but shop at
> the little market run by a Muslim couple.

I don't have any idea about the religious beliefs of people who own the
butcher shop or the fish market or the vegetable stands where I buy
things. It's not important.

Jill

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 11:08:58 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 10:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
>>

>>> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
>>> it spares us an argument.
>>>

>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?

Why do I care? Maybe it is the hypocrisy I see so often by the woke and
the semi woke who condemn the attitudes of some European Christians but
who gladly accept similar views from other races and religions. Some
people have an issue about Chicc-fil-E for donating Christian
organizations that have homosexuality but have no problems with the
treatment of homosexuals in Muslim regimes. I have little sympathy for
Christians or the gay movement.

> What do you care? You certainly seem worked up about something that
> isn't even a boycott.
There was a boycott, and fos said he'd "rather not support bigoted
homophobic pieces of fucking shit by buying their food"

> I'm happy to boycott Chick-Fil-A and avoid Eden Foods, but shop at
> the little market run by a Muslim couple.

So you don't mind that if they are practicing Muslims they might be
contributing to Muslim organizations that condemn homosexuality?

f...@sdf.org

Jan 28, 2023, 11:22:44 AM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
you mean the people who take a few bible verses on human sexuality as
literal divine commands from an invisible sky fairy but minimize 3000+
verses calling for the care of immigrants, the marginalized, the
oppressed, and the poor as merely personal choice? doesn't the bible
teach loving everyone equally? how is it then most of the ones i know,
including my bigoted homophobic sunday christian parents, think that
means to love only people like them?

yes, i have plenty of vitriol for those who openly discriminate against
the protected classes.

yum yum. got any more christian victim-hood for me to eat? it's tasty. :)

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:33:01 AM1/28/23
Covered under a cheese swamp, you wouldn't notice it was vegetarian :)

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:52:36 AM1/28/23
Christians aren't necessarily homophobes. Those who are deserve to be
boycotted.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:53:21 AM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 08:20:05 -0700, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-01-28 8:09 a.m., Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
>>

>>> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
>>> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
>>> buying their food. it spares us an argument.
>>>

>> Do you also boycott businesses run by  Moslems , Orthodox Jews,  Sikhs,
>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>>
>I think you meant so-called "Christians"!

What Dave's really doing is distinguishing white from non white. He
has a slight colour preference.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:55:16 AM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:08:51 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-01-28 10:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>
>Why do I care? Maybe it is the hypocrisy I see so often by the woke and
>the semi woke who condemn the attitudes of some European Christians but
>who gladly accept similar views from other races and religions. Some
>people have an issue about Chicc-fil-E for donating Christian
>organizations that have homosexuality but have no problems with the
>treatment of homosexuals in Muslim regimes. I have little sympathy for
>Christians or the gay movement.

You mainly have sympathy for Dave Smith.

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 12:02:48 PM1/28/23
Gran's larder had a sort of window, with a shelf which stuck out of the
wall on the shady side of the house. It had wire mesh over and around,
so that air could flow through it. Draping a damp cloth over whatever
was on the shelf, provided evaporative cooling (Edinburgh is a windy city).

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 12:04:52 PM1/28/23
I don't think that's at all what Cindy said. She just doesn't give a
shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A. Chick-Fil-A is not
even in my purview. There is one on the other side of town but whether
nor not people boycotted it is no big deal. I'm pretty sure Cindy knows
how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at Chick-Fil-A
without getting involved in the silly woke politics about sexuality.

Jill

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 12:10:42 PM1/28/23
On 28/01/2023 14:47, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>> On 28/01/2023 09:39, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> Those of us who are 800 miles from the ocean are more concerned
>>> about when the fish was defrosted.
>>>
>> Freezers were a wonderful invention. Granny, like many people in
>> Scotland at that time, didn't even have a fridge.
>
> My point was that for many of us, Granny's advice is irrelevant.

True.

> I bet there are a lot of fishermen out on the water on the Sabbath,
> especially if we're talking about those huge factory ships in the
> Arctic.

Sundays in Scotland were very quiet back then. Shops and pubs were all
closed, there were some eating places open, many of them in hotels,
which were the only places to get a drink on Sunday - assuming you were
a 'traveller'.

It's very different now.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 12:30:54 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 12:04:43 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Protesting against homophobia and racism isn't silly woke politics.
It's about basic human rights. Or summin'.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 12:35:56 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 11:22 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>
> you mean the people who take a few bible verses on human sexuality as
> literal divine commands from an invisible sky fairy but minimize 3000+
> verses calling for the care of immigrants, the marginalized, the
> oppressed, and the poor as merely personal choice? doesn't the bible
> teach loving everyone equally? how is it then most of the ones i know,
> including my bigoted homophobic sunday christian parents, think that
> means to love only people like them?
>
> yes, i have plenty of vitriol for those who openly discriminate against
> the protected classes.
>
> yum yum. got any more christian victim-hood for me to eat? it's tasty. :)

Most religions tend to want to associate only with people who share
their mythology. The did not and still don't understand science so they
need their god story to understand who the world and the universe came
to be. Since they have no physical or scientific proof they count on
faith. They indoctrinate people with constant repetition of the beliefs,
the verses of the holy books and the prayers and rituals. They make laws
about blasphemy to punish anyone who dares to question the crap they are
being handed and condemn non believers as heretics.

> yum yum. got any more christian victim-hood for me to eat? it's tasty. 😄

I wasn't talking about christian victim-hood. It was about the hypocrisy
of those who condemn only the Christian fundies and jump to the defense
of other religions whose treatment of gays, women and members of other
religions much worse that those Christians do. You can't condemn all
Christians because some of them are upset about gay rights but not
condemn Muslims who will kill them for being gay. You can't condemn
them for being upset about Muslims wearing hijabs and burkas when there
are Islamists around who would have them beaten for not wearing them. I
don't remember hearing about any Christian honour killings.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 12:36:33 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 9:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> A very different time and place. My grandmother grew up in Detroit
> in the 1920s; had her first child in 1934. By the time I was old
> enough to notice stuff (mother and I lived with my grandparents
> until I was nine), she had a refrigerator, deep freeze, automatic
> washer, and dryer. Automatic transmission in her car (every adult in
> the family had their own car). Color television as far back as I
> can remember; I suspect I just can't remember back far enough to
> recall a B&W television--I'm sure they had one in my lifetime.
> Central heat: gas-fired forced air just as I have in my current house.

Sounds about right. You are about 12 years younger than me. My mother
had a wringer washer until I was about 5 and got a Bendix automatic.

I got married in 1966 and bought a house but we had a B & W TV until
maybe 10 years later. It was a 19" table top and probably cost the same
or more than a 34" flat screen today.

We had a Maytag washer but did not get a dryer until 2 years later when
we got our daughter and had diapers to launder.

We had an air conditioner in the bedroom that cost over a week's pay at
the time. I can buy one today for about a day's pay.

For comparison you can plug in numbers here. In 1966 I was making $110 a
week, and that AC was $129. Amazon has one for $207 today

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 12:37:27 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 9:22 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-28 9:24 a.m., f...@sdf.org wrote:
>
>>> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
>>> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
>>> buying their food. it spares us an argument.
>
>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>
> you mean the people who take a few bible verses on human sexuality as
> literal divine commands from an invisible sky fairy but minimize 3000+
> verses calling for the care of immigrants, the marginalized, the
> oppressed, and the poor as merely personal choice? doesn't the bible
> teach loving everyone equally? how is it then most of the ones i know,
> including my bigoted homophobic sunday christian parents, think that
> means to love only people like them?

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever
conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 12:39:04 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

> I don't think that's at all what Cindy said.  She just doesn't give a
> shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is not
> even in my purview.  There is one on the other side of town but whether
> nor not people boycotted it is no big deal.  I'm pretty sure Cindy knows
> how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at Chick-Fil-A
> without getting involved in the silly woke politics about sexuality.
>
> Jill
Was it them or another equally repulsive set of owners who wouldn't
fund birth control in their "health benefits" package?

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 12:40:58 PM1/28/23
40 years ago you couldn't get a drink in Calgary on a Sunday unless you
were served a meal.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 12:42:56 PM1/28/23
On the surface, yes. The publicity probably sold a lot of chicken
sandwiches though. They have a very efficient drive thru service.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 12:48:55 PM1/28/23
Yes, maybe that makes up for the people who boycott them.

>They have a very efficient drive thru service.

Ok, that changes everything. :)

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 12:49:08 PM1/28/23
On 28/01/2023 17:40, Graham wrote:

> 40 years ago you couldn't get a drink in Calgary on a Sunday unless you
> were served a meal.

Scottish pub hours were much more restricted than English ones, years
ago - when pubs were closed, my friends and I went to hotel dining rooms
which offered a full meal for a shilling, if you bought a drink. Even a
half pint shandy qualified. I don't remember ever having to prove I was
a traveller.

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 1:00:20 PM1/28/23
Yup, Ed, we lead lives of ease and comfort today, compared to even earlier in our lives... even poor peeps enjoy this stuff...

Then MICHAEL will come along and lecture us about how much "better" life was in "the old days"- even though he's a kid of 26...

O:-)

--
GM

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 1:00:54 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 12:36 p.m., Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/28/2023 9:55 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> A very different time and place.  My grandmother grew up in Detroit
>> in the 1920s; had her first child in 1934.  By the time I was old
>> enough to notice stuff (mother and I lived with my grandparents
>> until I was nine), she had a refrigerator, deep freeze, automatic
>> washer, and dryer.  Automatic transmission in her car (every adult in
>> the family had their own car).  Color television as far back as I
>> can remember; I suspect I just can't remember back far enough to
>> recall a B&W television--I'm sure they had one in my lifetime.
>> Central heat:  gas-fired forced air just as I have in my current house.
>>

> Sounds about right.  You are about 12 years younger than me.  My mother
> had a wringer washer until I was about 5 and got a Bendix automatic.

My mother had a wringer washer in the early 50s. It was maybe 1957-58
when they got an automatic.
I certainly remember B&W tvs. Colour TVs were few and far between.
Apparently as late as 1964 only 2% of Americans had colour TVs. They
were expensive to buy and even more expensive to repair. They were
notoriously unreliable.

> I got married in 1966 and bought a house but we had a B & W TV until
> maybe 10 years later. It was a 19" table top and probably cost the same
> or more than a 34" flat screen today.

We were married in 1973 and had a B&W TV. We got a colour TV in 1976.

> We had a Maytag washer but did not get a dryer until 2 years later when
> we got our daughter and had diapers to launder.
We got a washer and dryer when we bought our house in 1977.

> We had an air conditioner in the bedroom that cost over a week's pay at
> the time.  I can buy one today for about a day's pay.
>
> For comparison you can plug in numbers here. In 1966 I was making $110 a
> week, and that AC was $129.  Amazon has one for $207 today

We won't even bother with computers. I sure wish I had had one when I
was university in the early 70s. It was a godsend when the Psych
department provided a room with calculators for us to do statistical
analyses. A pocket calculator that would add subtract multiply and
divide to 8 places was about $250. MY part time job paid $1.90/hr and
my summer job paid $4.25/hr and not many students had jobs that paid
that well. Now you can get a three ring binder with a calculator for
under $20.

dsi1

Jan 28, 2023, 1:04:13 PM1/28/23
On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 4:24:47 AM UTC-10, f...@sdf.org wrote:
> On 2023-01-28, Bryan Simmons <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 7:13:25 AM UTC-6, f...@sdf.org wrote:
>
> >> after work my wife wants lunch at Popeye's, i will oblige.
>
> > Popeyes does not have an apostrophe. It has
> > spectacular spicy bone-in chicken, but it doesn't
> > have an apostrophe. Also, they let you order the
> > Cajun gravy by itself, without the crappy mashed
> > potatoes, so you can take it home and have it
> > with well made mashed potatoes.
> ah hah. it was you who highly recommended Popeyes without an apostrophe.
> it couldn't remember who it was. thanks for that.
>
> we did trial runs at both Chick-fil-A and Popeyes without an apostrophe
> and Popeyes without an apostrophe is the clear winner. there aren't many
> of either around here in Western New York so you have to look for them
> unlike KFC which has locations seemingly everywhere.
>
> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of fucking shit by
> buying their food. it spares us an argument.
> --
> SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org
>
> That which does not kill you makes you stranger.
> -- Trevor Goodchild - AEon Flux

There was big excitement when Chick-fil-A came to this state but their chicken was a letdown for me. That's a good thing because my wife does not like them for being non-liberal. I don't mind avoiding their chicken and we avoid a discussion on politics. Win-win, baby!

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 1:06:28 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28 12:38 p.m., Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I don't think that's at all what Cindy said.  She just doesn't give a
>> shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is
>> not even in my purview.  There is one on the other side of town but
>> whether nor not people boycotted it is no big deal.  I'm pretty sure
>> Cindy knows how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at
>> Chick-Fil-A without getting involved in the silly woke politics about
>> sexuality.
>>
>> Jill
> Was it them or another equally repulsive set of owners who wouldn't
> fund birth control in their "health benefits" package?

There are/were a lot of employers who will not get health insurance
plans that include birth control. A recent Supreme's court decision
sided with them.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 1:10:14 PM1/28/23
Y'all have a lot to learn from Europe.

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 1:14:34 PM1/28/23
SCOTUS!!!!

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 1:33:36 PM1/28/23
On 28/01/2023 17:38, Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I don't think that's at all what Cindy said.  She just doesn't give a
>> shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is
>> not even in my purview.  There is one on the other side of town but
>> whether nor not people boycotted it is no big deal.  I'm pretty sure
>> Cindy knows how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at
>> Chick-Fil-A without getting involved in the silly woke politics about
>> sexuality.
>>
>> Jill
> Was it them or another equally repulsive set of owners who wouldn't
> fund birth control in their "health benefits" package?

I _think_ that may have been Hobby Lobby.

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 1:50:25 PM1/28/23
The BEST thing President Trump ever did was to appoint REAL AMERICAN Conservatives to the
our Supreme Court...!!!

His splendid legacy will continue for DECADES, Graham...!!!

--
GM

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 1:55:12 PM1/28/23
Had a phone conversation with a friend this morning. Yes, some things
were better. Instead of staring at a phone all afternoon we went out
and played with other kids on the street. We didn't have school shootings.

Other than that, we have a life our parents could only dream about. Our
homes are more comfortable, we have to work less for the things like
good appliances, autos, and an array of foods like never before. Though
as Bruce often points out, many chemicals in prepared foods.

Oh, don't forget medical care. The friend I spoke with would probably
be dead now if this was the 1950s or 60s. She had cancer twice but no
more and is getting some radiation treatments.

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 2:12:45 PM1/28/23
Cars are immeasurably better in every way...

This '66 Chevy Bel Air with a 6 got TERRIBLE mileage, despite being a "stripper" car with only Powerglide, getting
13 - 16 MPG...

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/vintage-reviews/vintage-car-life-road-test-1966-chevrolet-bel-air-six-with-powerglide-just-how-slow-was-it/

Vintage Car Life Road Test: 1966 Chevrolet Bel Air Six With Powerglide – Just How Slow Was It?

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 2:27:54 PM1/28/23
Just for YOU, my dear Graham...!!!

😁

How Donald Trump’s 2024 Campaign Bounced Back

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/01/how-donald-trumps-2024-campaign-bounced-back/

By the end of last year, Trump appeared to be fading from the national conversation. His chances of winning the Republican nomination seemed to dim.

"...Now those chances are brightening. Trump continues to dominate in polls of Republicans. He’s drawn even with President Biden in head-to-head matchups. He lobbied successfully for Representative Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.) to become speaker of the House of Representatives. His loyalists on the House Judiciary, Oversight, and Weaponization of the Federal Government committees will be sure to advance his interests. He’s plotting his return to Facebook, Instagram, and possibly Twitter, and his connection with the Republican base remains strong.

Most important of all, Trump’s rivals in both the Democratic and Republican parties are repeating the mistakes they made in the run-up to the 2016 election. The Democrats assume that there is no way for Trump to become president, while Republicans believe he will fade from the scene. Their failure to learn from history has made it possible not only for Trump to win the GOP nomination for the third straight time, but to pull another inside straight in the Electoral College and return to the White House. For decades, Trump has said that the political class is corrupt, insular, and incompetent, and that Republican leaders lack guts. Washington is doing its best to prove him right.

Trump’s recovery began on January 9, when news broke that classified documents had been found months earlier at a D.C. office President Biden used from 2017 to 2019. Biden, who had called Trump irresponsible and worse when the FBI recovered classified material from Mar-a-Lago last summer, was exposed as a hypocrite. Attorney General Merrick Garland came under intense pressure to appoint a special counsel for Biden, since he already had appointed one to investigate Trump for mishandling classified information and for subverting the last presidential election.

Recently, a few high-profile Republicans have predicted that Trump won’t be the GOP nominee. These prognosticators share certain traits: None of them thought Trump would win in 2016, they said Republicans would win big in 2022 (yes, I did too), and they no longer hold elected office precisely because of the changes Trump made to their party. .."

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 2:30:23 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 12:38 PM, Graham wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I don't think that's at all what Cindy said.  She just doesn't give a
>> shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is
>> not even in my purview.  There is one on the other side of town but
>> whether nor not people boycotted it is no big deal.  I'm pretty sure
>> Cindy knows how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at
>> Chick-Fil-A without getting involved in the silly woke politics about
>> sexuality.
>>
>> Jill
> Was it them or another equally repulsive set of owners who wouldn't
> fund birth control in their "health benefits" package?

I have no idea. I don't pay attention to fast food restaurant chain
politics.

Jill

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 2:32:52 PM1/28/23
In years past I worked for companies that had excellent health insurance
plans. None ever paid for birth control, not even as part of a
prescription drug plan. What does this have to do with anything?

Jill

dsi1

Jan 28, 2023, 2:38:47 PM1/28/23
You might have had a better life than your parents but your kids probably won't have the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY1P1N00BZ8

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 2:39:17 PM1/28/23
Back to the Middle Ages with Donald, yay!

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 2:42:23 PM1/28/23
Countries don't progress with conservatives at the helm.

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 2:51:45 PM1/28/23
Baroness Margaret Thatcher would disagree with you, Graham...!!!

;-P

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 2:54:11 PM1/28/23
They slowly sink away into a self created hellhole.

dsi1

Jan 28, 2023, 2:54:27 PM1/28/23
Why regular folks support that rich bastard is a mystery. He thinks regular folks are scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-wCe5oAv8

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 3:14:09 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:51:41 -0800 (PST), GM
I remember the Dutch news in those days. "Under Thatcher, UK's economy
reduced to the size of Portugal's." "Thatcher wiping out UK's middle
class." Stuff like that.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 3:17:15 PM1/28/23
What I think is that people feel lost and are dumb. And then comes the
Savior! It's like a cult, but on a much larger scale.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 4:03:03 PM1/28/23
Generally is saves money in the long term

Does free birth control save money?
Facilitating affordable access to contraceptives would not only improve
health but also would reduce health care costs, as each dollar spent on
publicly funded contraceptive services saves the U.S. health care system
nearly $6

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 4:13:23 PM1/28/23
That makes sense, so it probably won't be embraced in the US :)

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 4:16:26 PM1/28/23
Can you name the three people with the same rhetoric that makes the popular?
Economic woes, discontent, vilify the press and media, create civil
order, promise to restore prosperity

Three people rose in popularity with the same promises, same playbook.
Trump
DeSantis
Hitler

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 4:16:53 PM1/28/23
And her attempts at privatising the NHS.

S Viemeister

Jan 28, 2023, 4:17:50 PM1/28/23
Yes. No thinking necessary, just blind belief...

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 4:22:47 PM1/28/23
S Viemeister wrote:

> > On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 11:51:41 -0800 (PST), GM
> > <gregorymorr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Baroness Margaret Thatcher would disagree with you, Graham...!!!
> >>
> >> ;-P

> And her attempts at privatising the NHS.

Which might be a good idea:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/25/opinion/uk-economic-decline-nhs.html

Britain’s Cautionary Tale of Self-Destruction

Jan. 25, 2023

"In December, as many as 500 patients per week were dying in Britain because of E.R. waits, according to the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, a figure rivaling (and perhaps surpassing) the death toll from Covid-19. On average, English ambulances were taking an hour and a half to respond to stroke and heart-attack calls, compared with a target time of 18 minutes; nationwide, 10 times as many patients spent more than four hours waiting in emergency rooms as did in 2011. The waiting list for scheduled treatments recently passed seven million — more than 10 percent of the country — prompting nurses to strike. The National Health Service has been in crisis for years, but over the holidays, as wait times spiked, the crisis moved to the very center of a narrative of national decline..."

</>

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 4:45:21 PM1/28/23
Hitler, for sure. I don't know much about DeSantis. I read in a Dutch
newspaper that he's a more intelligent version of Trump. I don't know
if that's a good thing or a bad thing. If he's smarter, will he
attract more votes or less votes. Deplorables seem to like people who
aren't too much smarter than them.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 4:45:53 PM1/28/23
Oops.

lucr...@florence.it

Jan 28, 2023, 4:57:18 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 10:40:51 -0700, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

>On 2023-01-28 10:10 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:

>>> My point was that for many of us, Granny's advice is irrelevant.
>>>
>> True.
>>
>>> I bet there are a lot of fishermen out on the water on the Sabbath,
>>> especially if we're talking about those huge factory ships in the
>>> Arctic.
>>>
>> Sundays in Scotland were very quiet back then. Shops and pubs were all
>> closed, there were some eating places open, many of them in hotels,
>> which were the only places to get a drink on Sunday - assuming you were
>> a 'traveller'.
>>
>> It's very different now.
>>

>40 years ago you couldn't get a drink in Calgary on a Sunday unless you
>were served a meal.

In Halifax shops were closed on Sundays - it was a bad day when the
vote was for opening on Sundays, people on minimum wages had fewer
options and the traffic no longer calmed on Sundays :(

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 28, 2023, 5:11:55 PM1/28/23
DeSantis brags about freedom but has banned books from school libraries,
suspended an Attorney General that disagrees with his abortions stance,
appointed new people to a college administration because the others were
too woke, appointed some school administrators for the same reason.

We will have the freedom to do exactly what he wants us to do. One of
the latest it to change the law to make it easier to give the death
penalty. Did I mention forbidding African American history studies?

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 5:14:00 PM1/28/23
That sounds awful. It's going back in time.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 5:14:43 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> other at some Chic-Filet locations to make a point. Sure sounded stupid.
>
>> I'm happy to boycott Chick-Fil-A and avoid Eden Foods, but shop at
>> the little market run by a Muslim couple.
>>
> I don't have any idea about the religious beliefs of people who own the
> butcher shop or the fish market or the vegetable stands where I buy
> things. It's not important.

I assume the couple that runs a market that sells halal meat and
various Middle Eastern specialities are Muslim. I haven't asked.

Eden Foods have a bunch of controversies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_Foods_Inc.#Controversy

"Misrepresenting soy milk as infant formula" was a good one.
I'm glad the infant who was harmed by this eventually recovered.

I care about where I spend my money. Sometimes I can't avoid
giving money to businesses with odious connections, but I try
to minimize the amount.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 5:15:59 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Do you also boycott businesses run by Moslems , Orthodox Jews, Sikhs,
>>> and other fundamentalist types who have strange customs and beliefs
>>> contrary to your own? Do you just save the vitriol for Christians?
>
> Why do I care? Maybe it is the hypocrisy I see so often by the woke and
> the semi woke who condemn the attitudes of some European Christians but
> who gladly accept similar views from other races and religions. Some
> people have an issue about Chicc-fil-E for donating Christian
> organizations that have homosexuality but have no problems with the
> treatment of homosexuals in Muslim regimes. I have little sympathy for
> Christians or the gay movement.
>

>> What do you care? You certainly seem worked up about something that
>> isn't even a boycott.
> There was a boycott, and fos said he'd "rather not support bigoted
> homophobic pieces of fucking shit by buying their food"
>>
>> I'm happy to boycott Chick-Fil-A and avoid Eden Foods, but shop at
>> the little market run by a Muslim couple.
>
> So you don't mind that if they are practicing Muslims they might be
> contributing to Muslim organizations that condemn homosexuality?

And the owner of the gas station across the street might give
money to the Ku Klux Klan. You can't cover all contingencies.
You can only try to do your best.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 5:19:27 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 2023-01-28 10:04 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I don't think that's at all what Cindy said.  She just doesn't give a
>> shit about people who claim to boycott Chick-Fil-A.  Chick-Fil-A is not
>> even in my purview.  There is one on the other side of town but whether
>> nor not people boycotted it is no big deal.  I'm pretty sure Cindy knows
>> how to make a chicken sandwich better than they do at Chick-Fil-A
>> without getting involved in the silly woke politics about sexuality.
>>
>> Jill
> Was it them or another equally repulsive set of owners who wouldn't
> fund birth control in their "health benefits" package?

The owners of Hobby Lobby objected to covering emergency contraception
or IUDs, which might disrupt the implantation of a fertilized ovum.
The owners of Eden Foods didn't want to cover any contraception because
they're Catholic.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 28, 2023, 5:21:27 PM1/28/23
On 2023-01-28, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
Obamacare mandated coverage for birth control.

ISTR my insurance plans all covered contraception. I stopped
paying attention after my husband had a vasectomy.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Jan 28, 2023, 5:23:43 PM1/28/23
She royally screwed the UK economy and pissed away the N.Sea oil revenues.

Dave Smith

Jan 28, 2023, 5:35:01 PM1/28/23
vI don't know about other places, but around here things sort of
spiralled out of control. I will blame New York state. NY had Sunday
shopping and a lot of people living close to the border liked the idea
of cross border shopping and since so many NY stores were open they
would drove over and spend the day shopping. Having driven an hour or
more, they did major shopping. Ontario merchants had a legitimate
complaint that they were losing a lot of sales to the American stores.

commercial arguments often win out. The same sort of thing happened with
commercial vehicle safety inspections. There is a lot of cross border
transportation. The US required trucks and buses to have annual safety
inspection. Since a high percentage of commercial vehicles were
travelling to the US and would need those inspections the Canadians
realized that would be a major expense to them to have to send their
vehicles to an inspection station in the US. They decided that it would
be a good idea to harmonize regulations and negotiated a deal with the
US for mutual recognition on inspection standards.

It was a win-win for everyone. Commercial vehicles had to clean up their
act and operate safer vehicles and the money for the inspections stayed
here.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 5:35:52 PM1/28/23
But right-wingers loved her because she went to war over a sheep and a
rock?

Michael Trew

Jan 28, 2023, 8:41:33 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 13:00, GM wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 11:36:33 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski
> wrote:
>>
>> I got married in 1966 and bought a house but we had a B& W TV
>> until maybe 10 years later. It was a 19" table top and probably
>> cost the same or more than a 34" flat screen today.
>>
>> We had a Maytag washer but did not get a dryer until 2 years later
>> when we got our daughter and had diapers to launder.
>>
>> We had an air conditioner in the bedroom that cost over a week's
>> pay at the time. I can buy one today for about a day's pay.
>>
>> For comparison you can plug in numbers here. In 1966 I was making
>> $110 a week, and that AC was $129. Amazon has one for $207 today

It's rarely used, because I don't want to pay for conditioned air, but
my 1960's Gibson Air Sweep A/C unit works *great*, because it was built
to last, unlike the garbage $207 A/C unit available on Amazon, today.

> Yup, Ed, we lead lives of ease and comfort today, compared to even
> earlier in our lives... even poor peeps enjoy this stuff...
>
> Then MICHAEL will come along and lecture us about how much "better"
> life was in "the old days"- even though he's a kid of 26...

Yup, you know it (Although I'll be 28 in April). Good paying jobs
requiring a high school education (or not even) were prevalent then, and
close to home. My grandfather had a good job at the steel mill, and my
grandparents TOOK CARE of the things they bought; things which lasted
for decades.

Everything is throw-away culture today, because stuff is made cheap in a
foreign country, instead of made correctly, by well paid men in the USA.
Today's life of "ease and comfort" is the life of excess and gluttony.
People take cheap stuff for granted, and they don't appreciate or take
care of the things that they have.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 8:53:50 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 20:41:35 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 1/28/2023 13:00, GM wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 11:36:33 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I got married in 1966 and bought a house but we had a B& W TV
>>> until maybe 10 years later. It was a 19" table top and probably
>>> cost the same or more than a 34" flat screen today.
>>>
>>> We had a Maytag washer but did not get a dryer until 2 years later
>>> when we got our daughter and had diapers to launder.
>>>
>>> We had an air conditioner in the bedroom that cost over a week's
>>> pay at the time. I can buy one today for about a day's pay.
>>>
>>> For comparison you can plug in numbers here. In 1966 I was making
>>> $110 a week, and that AC was $129. Amazon has one for $207 today
>
>It's rarely used, because I don't want to pay for conditioned air, but
>my 1960's Gibson Air Sweep A/C unit works *great*, because it was built
>to last, unlike the garbage $207 A/C unit available on Amazon, today.
>
>> Yup, Ed, we lead lives of ease and comfort today, compared to even
>> earlier in our lives... even poor peeps enjoy this stuff...
>>
>> Then MICHAEL will come along and lecture us about how much "better"
>> life was in "the old days"- even though he's a kid of 26...
>
>Yup, you know it (Although I'll be 28 in April). Good paying jobs
>requiring a high school education

"Good paying jobs" reminds me of the school for children who can't
read good in the movie Zoolander.

Michael Trew

Jan 28, 2023, 8:56:49 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 9:24, f...@sdf.org wrote:

> i'm really glad my wife won't be asking me to go to Chick-fil-A again,
> i'd rather not support bigoted homophobic pieces of

LOL, I'm sure that the owners are absolutely distraught at your decision
to not patronize their business. Their fast-moving drive-thru line,
extending clean across the parking lot all day, is further proof.

For those whining about CFA employee health care options: perhaps
disgruntled Chick Fil A employees could work somewhere else... but I
doubt that they would want to work at any other fast food chain, because
Chick Fil A pays and treats their employees far better than other
chains. Company provided health care is a benefit, not an absolute right.

People who don't patronize businesses because of how they choose to
spend their money... now *that* amuses me. Yum... I could go for one of
their chicken sandwiches right about now. It's a good thing that the
nearest CFA location is so far from me, saving me money.
It is loading more messages.