Ehat the heck happened to stick margerine?

Linda

Nov 18, 2009, 9:39:08 PM11/18/09
It's the season to be cooking again. I am ready to make all the
holiday faves, I always liked to use Parkay margerine in all my
pastries and pies, and stuffing, etc. But so far I have been unable to
find any Parkay stick margerine anywhere. Lso the selection
of stick margerine is very limited mainly Imperial and Blue Bonnet(both
of which I don't care for)
Does anyhone have any idea what's going on with the stick margerine?

Stu

Nov 18, 2009, 9:45:45 PM11/18/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 02:39:08 GMT, Linda <l...@doramail.com> wrote:

-->It's the season to be cooking again. I am ready to make all the
-->holiday faves, I always liked to use Parkay margerine in all my
-->pastries and pies, and stuffing, etc. But so far I have been unable to
-->find any Parkay stick margerine anywhere. Lso the selection
-->of stick margerine is very limited mainly Imperial and Blue Bonnet(both
-->of which I don't care for)
-->Does anyhone have any idea what's going on with the stick margerine?

Can you explain why you use margarine rather than butter? Is it a taste thing
or do you perfer the texture using margarine?

Pete C.

Nov 18, 2009, 9:48:19 PM11/18/09

People realized that standard margarine was less healthy than real
butter, so now they are either back to using real butter, or off to one
of the horrid "healthy" pseudo-margarine substitutes.

bulka

Nov 18, 2009, 10:49:16 PM11/18/09

Well, I don't use fake butter, but I am curious - why do you like
Parkay better than the other brands? What is the significant
difference?

bulka

Felice

Nov 18, 2009, 11:11:48 PM11/18/09

"Linda" <l...@doramail.com> wrote in message

Oh my, Linda, you've probably been using marg for so long you've forgot how
much better your cookies and such would be with butter. Go ahead, give it a
try!

Felice

Mark Thorson

Nov 18, 2009, 11:24:53 PM11/18/09

The other ones don't say "butter". Or give you advice
about the enemies plotting against you.

Piet de Arcilla

Nov 19, 2009, 12:15:35 AM11/19/09

One "legitimate" reason I'm aware of for using margarine rather than
butter is if you're making a lot of structural gingerbread, and you
don't want to spend the money for real butter.

--Bryan

Nov 19, 2009, 7:56:51 AM11/19/09

My response to the response to the response to the troll is:

Anyone who is stupid enough to eat stick margarine is better off dead.

--Bryan

Message has been deleted

--Bryan

Nov 19, 2009, 9:52:35 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 8:40 am, The Other Guy <knewskg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:56:51 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <class...@brick.net>
> plonk, dumbass..

KFed by someone who has zero on topic posts.

--Bryan

Jean B.

Nov 19, 2009, 10:20:25 AM11/19/09
I gather, though, the results are different (extrapolating from
what I have read about butter vs. shortening in cookies). I
haven;t explored that because the thought of using shortening
disgusts me.

--
Jean B.

Nancy2

Nov 19, 2009, 11:14:00 AM11/19/09

What you mean, then, is what the heck happened to Parkay?

I use BlueBonnet when I need stick margerine - the good ol' baking
kind, not the watery kind. No problems.

N.

Linda

Nov 19, 2009, 11:15:20 AM11/19/09
Stu <rec...@foodforu.ca> wrote in

Actually it's old family recipes handed down, and my grandmother insisted
only to use Parkay so the rest of us never tried anything different to keep
the recipe original

Linda

Nov 19, 2009, 11:18:57 AM11/19/09
"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in

O.k. I am going to give butter a try. It's only fair to lgive it a fair
shot. :)

sf

Nov 19, 2009, 11:23:37 AM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:56:51 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>
wrote:

>Anyone who is stupid enough to eat stick margarine is better off dead.

We'll all be there sooner or later no matter how smart we are.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

sf

Nov 19, 2009, 11:31:25 AM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:52:35 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>
wrote:

>KFed by someone who has zero on topic posts.

Where are all these yahoos coming from? I can't even tell if that
Wavy G guy is a poseur or not. I used to see somebody posting as Wavy
Gravy, but I don't think it was here in rfc.

merryb

Nov 19, 2009, 11:38:05 AM11/19/09
On Nov 19, 8:31 am, sf <sf.use...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:52:35 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <class...@brick.net>

> wrote:
>

> >KFed by someone who has zero on topic posts.
>
> Where are all these yahoos coming from?  I can't even tell if that
> Wavy G guy is a poseur or not.  I used to see somebody posting as Wavy
> Gravy, but I don't think it was here in rfc.
>
> --
> I love cooking with wine.
> Sometimes I even put it in the food.

I think I saw him in Garberville a few years back...

Jean B.

Nov 19, 2009, 11:50:33 AM11/19/09

You might be wise to do this with cookies that you have no
preconceived notion about, since the results will most likely not
be the same. (I have been telling myself this about the
Worcestershire Sauce made in England, among other things.)

--
Jean B.

blake murphy

Nov 19, 2009, 12:29:32 PM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 04:56:51 -0800 (PST), --Bryan wrote:

> On Nov 18, 11:15锟絧m, Piet de Arcilla <dearci...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 18, 11:11锟絧m, "Felice" <fri...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Linda" <l...@doramail.com> wrote in message

>>> Oh my, Linda, you've probably been using marg for so long you've forgot how
>>> much better your cookies and such would be with butter. Go ahead, give it a
>>> try!
>>
>> One "legitimate" reason I'm aware of for using margarine rather than
>> butter is if you're making a lot of structural gingerbread, and you
>> don't want to spend the money for real butter.
>
> My response to the response to the response to the troll is:
>
> Anyone who is stupid enough to eat stick margarine is better off dead.
>
> --Bryan

wait, wait! don't you want the to suffer horribly first?

blake

blake murphy

Nov 19, 2009, 12:31:54 PM11/19/09
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:31:25 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:52:35 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>
> wrote:
>

>>KFed by someone who has zero on topic posts.
>
> Where are all these yahoos coming from? I can't even tell if that
> Wavy G guy is a poseur or not. I used to see somebody posting as Wavy
> Gravy, but I don't think it was here in rfc.

wavy gravy has gone all establishment on us. he's now W. Gravy III.

your pal,
blake

dsi1

Nov 19, 2009, 1:14:43 PM11/19/09

I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
live in this county.

As it goes, butter is just the latest fat of choice to use. I guess we
just got more money to spend on better quality stuff that ain't good for
us. :-)

> Felice

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 19, 2009, 1:36:31 PM11/19/09
In article <3XfNm.16738$gd1....@newsfe05.iad>,
dsi1 <ds...@spamnet.com> wrote:

> I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
> is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
> true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
> live in this county.
>
> As it goes, butter is just the latest fat of choice to use. I guess we
> just got more money to spend on better quality stuff that ain't good for
> us. :-)

We live on quite a tight budget. We have a family of eight. We
still buy butter. Stock up when it is on sale and we don't slather it
on everything.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

dsi1

Nov 19, 2009, 2:07:32 PM11/19/09
Ran�e at Arabian Knits wrote:
> In article <3XfNm.16738$gd1....@newsfe05.iad>,
> dsi1 <ds...@spamnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
>> is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
>> true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
>> live in this county.
>>
>> As it goes, butter is just the latest fat of choice to use. I guess we
>> just got more money to spend on better quality stuff that ain't good for
>> us. :-)
>
> We live on quite a tight budget. We have a family of eight. We
> still buy butter. Stock up when it is on sale and we don't slather it
> on everything.

I have been adverse to butter for most of my life because it's kinda
expensive but the last few years I've been buying it more often. My
guess is that other people are buying more butter too. Last week I
bought a couple of 4 stick boxes of butter because it was going for 2
for $5 - still kind of expensive when I think about it. Better not think
about it.

Jimbo

Nov 19, 2009, 2:18:43 PM11/19/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Try butter-flavored Crisco shortening. I make no claims, but that is what my
mother uses for cookies.

Jim

Doug Freyburger

Nov 19, 2009, 2:56:54 PM11/19/09
Jean B. wrote:

> Felice wrote:
>
>> Oh my, Linda, you've probably been using marg for so long you've forgot how
>> much better your cookies and such would be with butter. Go ahead, give it a
>> try!
>
> I gather, though, the results are different (extrapolating from
> what I have read about butter vs. shortening in cookies).

I used to use margarine instead of butter when sauteeing mushrooms. I
think it's because the smoke point is higher so I could heat the
mushrooms faster and hotter.

So the recipe should be slightly different with margarine versus butter.

dsi1

Nov 19, 2009, 3:37:59 PM11/19/09

Back in the old days that's what many people used for cookies. I
recently made some oatmeal cookies using the recipe on the box of Quaker
oats. The recipe called for butter and I was a little bummed out at how
these flattened out instead of retaining it's shape like in the old
days. If I were to make cookies again with butter, I'd probably use a
little more flour to help it keep it's shape.

> Jim

Nancy2

Nov 19, 2009, 3:47:33 PM11/19/09

My super choc. chip cookies turn out best when I use 2/3 butter and
1/3 stick oleo. So sue me.

N.

dsi1

Nov 19, 2009, 3:55:13 PM11/19/09

In what way do they turn out better and why the heck would I sue you?
Because you have different ideas about cooking? That's interesting! :-)

> N.

sf

Nov 19, 2009, 7:00:53 PM11/19/09

He's a fun icon of the time. Another, more local one was The Human
Jukebox. Fun street act.

Piet de Arcilla

Nov 20, 2009, 12:59:23 AM11/20/09

Based on my upbringing, I tend to think butter is best for about
everything involving solid fat except pie crust, where I prefer
Crisco.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 20, 2009, 5:09:06 AM11/20/09

> I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
> is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
> true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
> live in this county.

Very true. We grew up using margine, so butter tastes funny. I do use
it in mashed potatoes, but I am always surprised at how much more it
costs. I use margarine for toast, cookies, corn, etc.

I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
seem normal. It's like watching the tv cooking contest programs. The
chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
they all grow up with private chefs?

--Bryan

Nov 20, 2009, 7:18:47 AM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 4:09 am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"

<fries...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:
> > I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
> > is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
> > true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
> > live in this county.
>
> Very true. We grew up using margine, so butter tastes funny. I do use
> it in mashed potatoes, but I am always surprised at how much more it
> costs. I use margarine for toast, cookies, corn, etc.

You should be on the hog-slopping group, not the cooking group.

> I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
> not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
> seem normal. It's like watching  the tv cooking contest programs. The
> chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
> they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
> once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
> they all grow up with private chefs?

Some of us have moved beyond the fish sticks, tater tots and happy
meals stage.
Do you still eat jarred babyfood too? If you're complaining about how
much butter costs at today's prices, you should get your ass off the
computer and get a part time job. Oh, but then you might miss your
White trash TV shows.

--Bryan

Stu

Nov 20, 2009, 8:28:12 AM11/20/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 02:09:06 -0800 (PST), "frie...@zoocrewphoto.com"
<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:

-->
-->> I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
-->> is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
-->> true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
-->> live in this county.
-->>
-->
-->Very true. We grew up using margine, so butter tastes funny. I do use
-->it in mashed potatoes, but I am always surprised at how much more it
-->costs. I use margarine for toast, cookies, corn, etc.
-->
-->I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
-->not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
-->seem normal. It's like watching the tv cooking contest programs. The
-->chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
-->they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
-->once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
-->they all grow up with private chefs?

Not me, my mother was a home Economics teacher for 25 yrs. (50's,
60", and some of the 70's) back then margarine was used because of price,
and they didn't know better.
Sure we ate boloney, mac and cheese, prairie chicken, moose, venison
rabbit, lots of fish, we had a 60'x60' garden so veg's were no problem, only
because my dad was a hunter and there were six of us.
Since I've been on my own I use butter which I prefer.

Food Snob®

Nov 20, 2009, 8:39:43 AM11/20/09

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

> N.

--Bryan

Nancy Young

Nov 20, 2009, 8:44:09 AM11/20/09
frie...@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:

> Very true. We grew up using margine, so butter tastes funny. I do use
> it in mashed potatoes, but I am always surprised at how much more it
> costs. I use margarine for toast, cookies, corn, etc.
>
> I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
> not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
> seem normal. It's like watching the tv cooking contest programs. The
> chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
> they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
> once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
> they all grow up with private chefs?

No. I grew up with canned vegetables and margarine. Margarine was
healthier, of course. Fresh vegetables? Just salad, onions and potatoes.
Everything else including asparagus was from a can.

Then I found out about real butter and fresh vegetables. I don't
think I'm being a snob when I see Sandra Lee making crepes with
canned pie mix, it just doesn't look good to me. Anyway, times
change. I don't think my mother uses all the canned stuff she did
when we were kids, either. And she still gets upset when she
remembers how she served us margarine because 'they' said it
was healthier, and my father died of a heart attack.

nancy

Stu

Nov 20, 2009, 9:37:16 AM11/20/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:39:43 -0800 (PST), Food Snob� <bryang...@gmail.com>
wrote:

-->On Nov 19, 10:14�am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
-->> On Nov 18, 8:39�pm, Linda <l...@doramail.com> wrote:
-->>
[...]

I'd like her to try the recipe below which was the one my grandmother always
made for us kids at christmas. First with margarine, and then butter, I'd like
to see if she notices any difference in taste and texture of the two cookies.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

Title: Whipped Shortbread
Categories: Cookies, Moms
Yield: 3 dozen

1 c Butter
1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 c Icing sugar
1/2 c Red or green glace cherries

Preheat oven to 325. Combine butter, sugar and flour and mix until
light and fluffy. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet
or you can use an icing bag. Decorate each cookie with a 1/2 of
cherry. Bake at 325 for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove to a rack to cool.

MMMMM

cybercat

Nov 20, 2009, 10:49:03 AM11/20/09

<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:

> I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
> not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
> seem normal. It's like watching the tv cooking contest programs. The
> chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
> they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
> once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
> they all grow up with private chefs?

You don't have to grow up with a private chef not to eat that boxed crap. I
cannot believe how much sugar there is in that chit. You can actually
*taste* the sugar. Who wants sugar in their cheese ffs?

Nancy2

Nov 20, 2009, 12:29:54 PM11/20/09

> > My super choc. chip cookies turn out best when I use 2/3 butter and
> > 1/3 stick oleo.  So sue me.
>
> In what way do they turn out better?

They don't get as hard after a day or two (I freeze extras as soon as
they're cool) - if I use all butter, on day 2, they are really
crunchy. Hard. With 1 stick oleo (and 2 sticks butter, in my recipe)
- they are still edible on day 2 or even 3.

N.

Nancy2

Nov 20, 2009, 12:33:02 PM11/20/09
What? They never
> > once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
> > they all grow up with private chefs?

I have never, ever, used the blue box mac 'n cheese, although my son
makes it sometimes for the grandkids when they're at my house. The
very odor of the "cheese" sauce makes me nauseous.

I do use boxed mixes sometimes and canned goods frequently, and I
don't make pasta unless it's for canneloni - hard to find every veg
and fruit fresh here in the winter time. And it so happens that I
grew up on a farm and a lot of our food was home-canned by my mom.
Some things I prefer canned, actually, as opposed to fresh.

N.

Janet

Nov 20, 2009, 1:07:34 PM11/20/09
Doug Freyburger wrote:
> I used to use margarine instead of butter when sauteeing mushrooms. I
> think it's because the smoke point is higher so I could heat the
> mushrooms faster and hotter.

Two TB butter + 1 TB olive oil will do the trick AND taste good.

blake murphy

Nov 20, 2009, 1:07:54 PM11/20/09

what was his gig? take a stab at any song for a quarter?

one of the bar bands in d.c. used to do that - for a dollar in the tip jar
they'd sing a dollar's worth of any song you'd care to name.

i used to refer to another d.c. performer - bill kirchen - as the human
jukebox because he knew and could play just about anything.

NRBQ used to circulate a box before their performances for people to put
the names of songs in, and at some point would say, 'o.k., it's time for
the box,' and do whatever song they drew. sometimes very funny.

your pal,
blake

Janet

Nov 20, 2009, 1:11:34 PM11/20/09
Piet de Arcilla wrote:
> Based on my upbringing, I tend to think butter is best for about
> everything involving solid fat except pie crust, where I prefer
> Crisco.

I use about 50/50 or 60/40 unsalted butter to frozen solid Crisco in
pie/quiche crust. It's the only thing I use Crisco for, and I store the
sticks in the freezer. (Never use margarine, unless making a lot of purely
structural gingerbread, as someone else noted.) I used to use a few TB of
lard instead of some of the Crisco. I may go back to that.

blake murphy

Nov 20, 2009, 1:12:04 PM11/20/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:44:09 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> Then I found out about real butter and fresh vegetables. I don't
> think I'm being a snob when I see Sandra Lee making crepes with
> canned pie mix, it just doesn't look good to me. Anyway, times
> change. I don't think my mother uses all the canned stuff she did
> when we were kids, either. And she still gets upset when she
> remembers how she served us margarine because 'they' said it
> was healthier, and my father died of a heart attack.
>
> nancy

oopsie.

your pal,
50's dietician

Janet

Nov 20, 2009, 1:14:55 PM11/20/09

My mother never used a box of mac and cheese. She never used margarine. The
only canned vegetable I ever recall having was beets.

She is a good cook. That's the difference.

Nancy Young

Nov 20, 2009, 1:22:48 PM11/20/09

> oopsie.

> your pal,
> 50's dietician

(laugh) Well, I don't think margarine killed him, but my poor mother
was so sure she was doing the right thing, she feels guilty. It's
hard to look at margarine (or cigarettes, for that matter) and believe
people bought those 'healthy for you' ads.

nancy

dsi1

Nov 20, 2009, 2:44:17 PM11/20/09

That's an interesting observation - will have to check out why this
happens. Thanks!

> N.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 20, 2009, 2:57:28 PM11/20/09
In article
<ec5ca5fd-a4b0-4bd7...@m26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Nancy2 <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> They don't get as hard after a day or two (I freeze extras as soon as
> they're cool) - if I use all butter, on day 2, they are really
> crunchy. Hard. With 1 stick oleo (and 2 sticks butter, in my recipe)
> - they are still edible on day 2 or even 3.

I think that's a storage issue. We keep our all butter cookies in
airtight containers and can eat them for days. If we don't eat them all
the first night.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 20, 2009, 2:58:40 PM11/20/09
In article <18BNm.46175$Pi5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
"Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It's
> hard to look at margarine (or cigarettes, for that matter) and believe
> people bought those 'healthy for you' ads.

That's what I can't believe. Surely it doesn't take research and
scientific authority to figure out that inhaling smoke directly into
your body isn't good for you.

dsi1

Nov 20, 2009, 3:04:52 PM11/20/09

I'm pretty sure that most people still use a butter substitute even
today. It don't think you can legally call it "margarine" because it
contains so much water. I scrambled some eggs this morning using a gob
of spread - it works great.

I think it's fine that if folks want spend the time and money to eat
just so. The truth is that I can't spare either. That's the breaks -
there's a lot of people in that boat. My new best cooking friends are
granulated garlic and dehydrated chopped onions from the warehouse
stores. :-)

Doug Freyburger

Nov 20, 2009, 4:04:28 PM11/20/09

I know that the transfats in margarine are unhealthy, but I grew up at a
time before that was known so people believed margarine was more
healthy. Because I was raised on it I prefer the flavor of margarine to
the flavor of butter. So - Thanks for the tip on changing smoke point
and I'll need to agree to disagree on the flavor topic. I don't get to
have margarine much any more but I do prefer it.

Doug Freyburger

Nov 20, 2009, 4:07:13 PM11/20/09
Janet wrote:

> frie...@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
>
>> I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
>> not just Americans) ...

> She is a good cook. That's the difference.

I think that's the deal. RFC draws foodies so it draws folks who don't
want the boxed stuff. It's the nature of the topic and who it filters
for.

Nancy2

Nov 20, 2009, 4:46:44 PM11/20/09

>    I think that's a storage issue.  We keep our all butter cookies in
> airtight containers and can eat them for days.  If we don't eat them all
> the first night.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee @ Arabian Knits

It absolutely is NOT a storage issue. I vacuum-seal both what I leave
out of the freezer, and the small bags that go in the freezer. It's a
difference between oleo and butter. Trust me, in my recipe, I've
tried both, and I know what the difference is. I certainly know to
keep certain kinds of cookies in air-tight containers.

N.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 20, 2009, 4:54:27 PM11/20/09
In article
<be081f12-451a-41f8...@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
Nancy2 <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> It absolutely is NOT a storage issue. I vacuum-seal both what I leave
> out of the freezer, and the small bags that go in the freezer. It's a
> difference between oleo and butter. Trust me, in my recipe, I've
> tried both, and I know what the difference is. I certainly know to
> keep certain kinds of cookies in air-tight containers.

There was no insult implied nor intended, so I am sorry you seem to
have taken it that way.

Perhaps it is the butter versus the oleo, I was simply suggesting
another possible cause, as in _my_ experience, butter is quite capable
of producing a soft cookie. Forgive my impudence.

Regards,
Ranee @ Arabian Knits

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Omelet

Nov 20, 2009, 10:36:07 PM11/20/09
In article
<arabianknits-5B01...@news.rainierconnect.com>,
Ran�e at Arabian Knits <arabia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <3XfNm.16738$gd1....@newsfe05.iad>,

> dsi1 <ds...@spamnet.com> wrote:
>
> > I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
> > is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
> > true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
> > live in this county.
> >

> > As it goes, butter is just the latest fat of choice to use. I guess we
> > just got more money to spend on better quality stuff that ain't good for
> > us. :-)
>
> We live on quite a tight budget. We have a family of eight. We
> still buy butter. Stock up when it is on sale and we don't slather it
> on everything.

I bought 4 lbs. of butter yesterday for $1.50 per lb. We only use maybe
1/2 lb. or so per month so that'll last me the better part of the year.
;-)

But, I don't do any baking most of the time. I am considering making
some cookies this year to send to my cousins. I generally make cheese
balls. That will use up more butter but I have plenty. It freezes well.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

recfood...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: recfoodrecip...@yahoogroups.com

Omelet

Nov 20, 2009, 10:39:22 PM11/20/09
In article
<5bc8d1ea-db36-40c5...@o23g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,

Piet de Arcilla <dear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I gather, though, the results are different (extrapolating from
> > what I have read about butter vs. shortening in cookies). �I
> > haven;t explored that because the thought of using shortening
> > disgusts me.
>
> Based on my upbringing, I tend to think butter is best for about
> everything involving solid fat except pie crust, where I prefer
> Crisco.

Try Schmalz for pie crust some time.

Seriously.

I use butter because it comes from cows and the label does not read like
a chemistry textbook. I really see no point in eating margarine. We
gave up that crap years ago.

notbob

Nov 20, 2009, 10:54:56 PM11/20/09
On 2009-11-21, Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> a chemistry textbook. I really see no point in eating margarine. We
> gave up that crap years ago.

Could probably pass for a decent ballistic gel at the right temp. ;)

nb

Omelet

Nov 20, 2009, 11:43:27 PM11/20/09
In article <slrnhgep4g...@myvai2.notbob.com>,
notbob <not...@nothome.com> wrote:

<chuckles> Indeed! ;-D

Piet de Arcilla

Nov 20, 2009, 11:46:09 PM11/20/09
On Nov 20, 10:39 pm, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <5bc8d1ea-db36-40c5-b446-bb257afc7...@o23g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,

>  Piet de Arcilla <dearci...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I gather, though, the results are different (extrapolating from
> > > what I have read about butter vs. shortening in cookies).  I
> > > haven;t explored that because the thought of using shortening
> > > disgusts me.
>
> > Based on my upbringing, I tend to think butter is best for about
> > everything involving solid fat except pie crust, where I prefer
> > Crisco.
>
> Try Schmalz for pie crust some time.
>
> Seriously.

Maybe. But I tried a lard pie crust, and didn't care for it.

Some people dislike Crisco because it seems artificial, but my point
of view is that an animal product doesn't seem to go with most pies
that don't contain meat.

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 21, 2009, 12:52:33 AM11/21/09
In article
<0a130e26-a332-4fb2...@l2g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

Piet de Arcilla <dear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some people dislike Crisco because it seems artificial, but my point
> of view is that an animal product doesn't seem to go with most pies
> that don't contain meat.

Butter is an animal product and people use it with fruit all the
time. I prefer the taste and texture of a butter crust. It also
doesn't wreak havoc on my digestion afterward. That is possibly a
product of my getting older and not consuming much that isn't found
easily from nature.

blake murphy

Nov 21, 2009, 1:22:32 PM11/21/09

wait - cigarettes aren't good for you?

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Nov 21, 2009, 1:24:44 PM11/21/09
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:58:40 -0800, Ran�e at Arabian Knits wrote:

> In article <18BNm.46175$Pi5....@newsfe08.ams2>,
> "Nancy Young" <rjyn...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It's
>> hard to look at margarine (or cigarettes, for that matter) and believe
>> people bought those 'healthy for you' ads.
>
> That's what I can't believe. Surely it doesn't take research and
> scientific authority to figure out that inhaling smoke directly into
> your body isn't good for you.

well, there are medical uses for marijuana. the various extracts and pill
forms aren't as effective.

your pal,
blake

cybercat

Nov 21, 2009, 1:27:54 PM11/21/09

"blake murphy" <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote in message

sorry, love, I didn't want to say anything ...

Nancy Young

Nov 21, 2009, 1:58:01 PM11/21/09
blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:22:48 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

>> (laugh) Well, I don't think margarine killed him, but my poor mother
>> was so sure she was doing the right thing, she feels guilty. It's
>> hard to look at margarine (or cigarettes, for that matter) and
>> believe people bought those 'healthy for you' ads.

> wait - cigarettes aren't good for you?

Oh ... well the menthol ones are good for your lungs. Sorry
for the confusion.

nancy

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 21, 2009, 2:29:33 PM11/21/09
In article <ftvv1w8ehb4x$.9lih6gtfsml3$.d...@40tude.net>,
blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:

Right, but _that_ is what would take research to figure out.

--Bryan

Nov 21, 2009, 7:46:17 PM11/21/09
On Nov 20, 8:37 am, Stu <reci...@foodforu.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:39:43 -0800 (PST), Food Snob® <bryangsimm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> -->On Nov 19, 10:14 am, Nancy2 <nancy-doo...@uiowa.edu> wrote:
> -->> On Nov 18, 8:39 pm, Linda <l...@doramail.com> wrote:
> -->>
> -->> > It's the season to be cooking again.  I am ready to make all the
> -->> > holiday faves, I always liked to use Parkay margerine in all my
> -->> > pastries and pies, and stuffing, etc.  But so far I have been unable to
> -->> > find any Parkay stick margerine anywhere.  Lso the selection
> -->> > of stick margerine is very limited mainly Imperial and Blue Bonnet(both
> -->> > of which I don't care for)
> -->> > Does anyhone have any idea what's going on with the stick margerine?
> -->>
> -->> What you mean, then, is what the heck happened to Parkay?
> -->>
> -->> I use BlueBonnet when I need stick margerine - the good ol' baking
> -->> kind, not the watery kind.  No problems.
> -->
> -->It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
> -->>
> -->> N.
> -->
> -->--Bryan
>
> I'd like her to try the recipe below which was the one my grandmother always
> made for us kids at christmas. First with margarine, and then butter, I'd like
> to see if she notices any difference in taste and texture of the two cookies.

I'd like her to fetch the newspaper.

> MMMMM

--Bryan

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 22, 2009, 4:04:45 AM11/22/09
On Nov 20, 4:18 am, --Bryan <class...@brick.net> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 4:09 am, "fries...@zoocrewphoto.com"

> <fries...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:
> > > I've never used butter very often in my cooking in the past. The truth
> > > is that margarine is just a cheaper fat. My guess is that this has been
> > > true for most of America. You guys seem unaware how most regular folks
> > > live in this county.
>
> > Very true. We grew up using margine, so butter tastes funny. I do use
> > it in mashed potatoes, but I am always surprised at how much more it
> > costs. I use margarine for toast, cookies, corn, etc.
>
> You should be on the hog-slopping group, not the cooking group.

> > I do wonder how representative this group is of typical people (and
> > not just Americans). People here tend to put down a lot of things that
> > seem normal. It's like watching  the tv cooking contest programs. The
> > chefs have to use a canned vegetable, boxed mix, or something, and
> > they all look appalled. "I never use this stuff." What? They never
> > once had boxed mac and cheese or a canned vegetable growing up? Did
> > they all grow up with private chefs?
>
> Some of us have moved beyond the fish sticks, tater tots and happy
> meals stage.
> Do you still eat jarred babyfood too?  If you're complaining about how
> much butter costs at today's prices, you should get your ass off the
> computer and get a part time job.  Oh, but then you might miss your
> White trash TV shows.

YOu don't have a decent argument, so you just make up some insults.
Really smart.

I don't like any of the things you mentioned. My point was that most
people are not froo froo chefs. The stuff that the chefs cook on
programs like Top Chef and Chopped are NOT foods that most people
cook. They stand there and act like it is barbaric to use a box of mac
and cheese or a canned vegetable as an ingredient.

Butter and margarine taste different. If you grow up with one, you
tend to like that and think the other one tastes funny. Just as most
people are used to their own cultural food and find food in other
countries to be unusual. (We may or may not like it, but most of it
seems to take some adjustment).

Jean B.

Nov 22, 2009, 7:57:15 AM11/22/09
frie...@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
> YOu don't have a decent argument, so you just make up some insults.
> Really smart.
>
> I don't like any of the things you mentioned. My point was that most
> people are not froo froo chefs. The stuff that the chefs cook on
> programs like Top Chef and Chopped are NOT foods that most people
> cook. They stand there and act like it is barbaric to use a box of mac
> and cheese or a canned vegetable as an ingredient.
>
> Butter and margarine taste different. If you grow up with one, you
> tend to like that and think the other one tastes funny. Just as most
> people are used to their own cultural food and find food in other
> countries to be unusual. (We may or may not like it, but most of it
> seems to take some adjustment).

Or not. My mom used margarine probably as long as I lived at
home. I never liked it.
--
Jean B.

blake murphy

Nov 22, 2009, 11:50:12 AM11/22/09

i'm gonna live forever or die in the attempt.

your pal,
yossarian

cybercat

Nov 22, 2009, 2:17:57 PM11/22/09

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message

My mother would not use it or touch it, because she grew up being forced to
eat it.

cybercat

Nov 22, 2009, 2:18:33 PM11/22/09

<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

I guess you missed the memo. Here you go: Bryan is an ASSHOLE.

Stu

Nov 22, 2009, 3:27:01 PM11/22/09
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:18:33 -0500, "cybercat" <cyber...@yahoo.com> wrote:

-->
[...]

Seems I did, but thanks for sending it again

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 22, 2009, 10:31:30 PM11/22/09
On Nov 22, 11:18 am, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <fries...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

I've actually read this group on and off for many years. I know who
most of the regulars are. Sometimes, it takes a little while to catch
a new username. On occasion, I find myself agreeing with just about
everybody for a particular topic. But as most people get into swearing
matches and name calling, I haven't found a single person that I would
want to meet in the real world.

I do wish that people could quit fighting long enough to discuss real
food topics. I'm always interested in adding new meals, and how to
adjust meals that are almost likable to what I would enjoy (I do not
like lot a seasonings, and I can't eat spicy foods at all). Years ago,
I asked about substituting seasonings in a soup, and I got attacked
for misspelling it. Since I have never purchased the soup (I can't eat
it as made), I did not have a package in front of me. And a search
online for recipes did produce a lot of results with the misspelled
name. So, it was simply an honest mistake. But most people here seem
to think it is more fun to insult people than actually discuss food.

I'm also interested in learning new techniques and knowing which
gadgets would be a good addition to my kitchen. Right now, I would
like to find the ideal potato peeler as the last two I have bought
were useless, and I am stuck using an old one with a handle that hurts
my hand. It shouldn't be that hard to find a potato peel that actually
peels, and has a decent grip on it.

cyberpurrs

Nov 23, 2009, 1:34:34 AM11/23/09

<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote

> It shouldn't be that hard to find a potato peel that actually
peels, and has a decent grip on it.

I got an Oxo with the thick rubbery handle at Bed Bath and Beyond, but they
are everywhere. It does a nice job. If you have the little aluminum kind,
toss it.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 23, 2009, 3:47:30 AM11/23/09
On Nov 22, 10:34 pm, "cyberpurrs" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> <fries...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote

Does it have the sharp tip that allows you to dig out a piece? I
tried a new one today that peels great and has a nice handle. But I
still had to use an old one to dig out the little bad spots.

Will@blaylock

Nov 23, 2009, 4:38:30 AM11/23/09
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:31:30 -0800 (PST), "frie...@zoocrewphoto.com"
<frie...@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote:

[deletia]

>I've actually read this group on and off for many years. I know who
>most of the regulars are. Sometimes, it takes a little while to catch
>a new username. On occasion, I find myself agreeing with just about
>everybody for a particular topic. But as most people get into swearing
>matches and name calling, I haven't found a single person that I would
>want to meet in the real world.

Not sure I totally agree here but I can see the logic to this thought
process...

>I do wish that people could quit fighting long enough to discuss real
>food topics. I'm always interested in adding new meals, and how to
>adjust meals that are almost likable to what I would enjoy (I do not
>like lot a seasonings, and I can't eat spicy foods at all). Years ago,
>I asked about substituting seasonings in a soup, and I got attacked
>for misspelling it. Since I have never purchased the soup (I can't eat
>it as made), I did not have a package in front of me. And a search
>online for recipes did produce a lot of results with the misspelled
>name. So, it was simply an honest mistake. But most people here seem
>to think it is more fun to insult people than actually discuss food.

I wish this were the case on a good many (most?) forum / bulletin
board / usenet / IRC / etc. places where the norm these days seems to
be an extreme of "meism" in my not so humble opinion.

> I'm also interested in learning new techniques and knowing which
>gadgets would be a good addition to my kitchen. Right now, I would
>like to find the ideal potato peeler as the last two I have bought
>were useless, and I am stuck using an old one with a handle that hurts
>my hand. It shouldn't be that hard to find a potato peel that actually
>peels, and has a decent grip on it.

BINGO!

Though a potato peeler is a personal deal... the one I love to death
(house branded by one of my local restaurant suppliers. also used to
make decorative curls out of many things... huge slit that makes thick
cut if you try or thin if your effort goes that direction) drives my
wife nuts and the one she loves (oxo sideways slanted deal you hold
rather pencil like) makes my hand cramp so badly that I can't even use
hers in a pinch.

Personally I peel almost nothing so the ancient peeler I picked up
when regularly working a line still serves me well, XYL needs a new
peeler every couple of years and has a difficult time finding
"perfect" each time , what ever is not the most popular it seems.

Actual email is 'wblalok .at. xmission .dot. com' to reply
http://bit.ly/IJoTf holds my food blog, feel free to throw tomatoes :)

Nancy2

Nov 23, 2009, 11:34:43 AM11/23/09
On Nov 20, 3:54 pm, Ranée at Arabian Knits <arabiankn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In article
> <be081f12-451a-41f8-add2-d5dfef7a3...@p8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

Truce. ;-)

It probably depends on the recipe. My recipe for choc. chip cookies
likes 1/3 oleo; some other recipes, it might be a different result and
all butter would be best. Just sayin' .....

Happy Thanksgiving.

N.

Ranee at Arabian Knits

Nov 23, 2009, 1:27:15 PM11/23/09
In article <gflkg5ta1872gcm5q...@4ax.com>, Will@Blaylock
wrote:

> > I'm also interested in learning new techniques and knowing which
> >gadgets would be a good addition to my kitchen. Right now, I would
> >like to find the ideal potato peeler as the last two I have bought
> >were useless, and I am stuck using an old one with a handle that hurts
> >my hand. It shouldn't be that hard to find a potato peel that actually
> >peels, and has a decent grip on it.
>
> BINGO!
>
> Though a potato peeler is a personal deal... the one I love to death
> (house branded by one of my local restaurant suppliers. also used to
> make decorative curls out of many things... huge slit that makes thick
> cut if you try or thin if your effort goes that direction) drives my
> wife nuts and the one she loves (oxo sideways slanted deal you hold
> rather pencil like) makes my hand cramp so badly that I can't even use
> hers in a pinch.

I would love a really good, well designed potato peeler! We have
two, one that is crappy and one that is worse. I keep them both,
because one is preferred by some and the other by the rest. Also, one
is better than the other for potatoes and the other for other veggies
and of course so more than one person can be peeling at a time.

Goomba

Nov 23, 2009, 1:34:02 PM11/23/09
Ranee at Arabian Knits wrote:

> I would love a really good, well designed potato peeler! We have
> two, one that is crappy and one that is worse. I keep them both,
> because one is preferred by some and the other by the rest. Also, one
> is better than the other for potatoes and the other for other veggies
> and of course so more than one person can be peeling at a time.

I like the blade on the Oxo brand peelers, but the little eye-cutter tip
is worthless because it is fat and plastic. The Ecko brand peelers seem
to dull quickly anymore and the handle hurts my hands after a while.

frie...@zoocrewphoto.com

Nov 24, 2009, 3:36:25 AM11/24/09

The one I just got is Faberware, and it says on the card that it has a
eye-cutter tip (not that name, but that meaning). But it has a big fat
plastic thing that is completely useless to me. I can't imagine how it
is supposed to cut something. So, I used the really old metal handled
one for that part.

I suppose I have to venture into Bed Bath and Beyond and see if they
have what i want. I really don't like shopping that much. But I do
like to make my own mashed potatoes (with the gold potatoes), and that
means a decent peeler is required.

I'd really like to get back into cooking large meals and freezing
portions as it saves money and allows me to have meals I enjoy without
having to pick out the stuff I don't like or deal with extra salt and
preservatives. I was pretty good at it for awhile, but I didn't have a
lot of variety, so I got bored with it. I'd like to get more ideas of
casseroles, thicker soups, etc.

I don't like to cook when I first get home from work (11pm), so I tend
to fall back and premade food if I don't have something ready to go in
the microwave. Today was nice as I had chicken and mashed potatoes
left over from last night. I also have a limited kitchen space as I am
a severe night owl (I usually go to bed between 4 and 6 am), so I
cannot use the regular kitchen during my prime time without waking up
others. So, I have created a kitchenette that allows me to cook in the
middle of the night without bothering anybody. It's not quite done. I
have a sink, but I haven't had a chance to cut a hole in the counter
top to install it.

Nancy2

Nov 24, 2009, 11:10:41 AM11/24/09
On Nov 23, 12:27 pm, Ranee at Arabian Knits <arabiankn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In article <gflkg5ta1872gcm5q7qmp8672gnha5e...@4ax.com>, Will@Blaylock
> http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

I use a V-shaped one - like this:
http://www.cheftools.com/Rosenhaus-Swiss-Pro-Peeler-Carbon-Steel-Blade/productinfo/06-1327/

...only mine was my grandmother's, so it has a grater in the center of
the V, it isn't open. I peel by holding the potato in my left hand,
and running the flat blade of the peeler down and towards me. Works
very fast, and doesn't bother my old hands. ;-)

N.

Melba's Jammin'

Nov 24, 2009, 2:12:58 PM11/24/09
In article
<3349db43-c12e-46a1...@r31g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
Nancy2 <nancy-...@uiowa.edu> wrote:

> I use a V-shaped one - like this:
> http://www.cheftools.com/Rosenhaus-Swiss-Pro-Peeler-Carbon-Steel-Blade/product
> info/06-1327/

> N.

That's my peeler of choice. I bought it at the State Fair several years
ago and every year I go and watch the guy and offer Witness and
Testimony to those watching. I love it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Who Said Chickens Have Fingers?

Ran�e at Arabian Knits

Nov 24, 2009, 4:16:21 PM11/24/09

> I use a V-shaped one - like this:
> http://www.cheftools.com/Rosenhaus-Swiss-Pro-Peeler-Carbon-Steel-Blade/product
> info/06-1327/

Ohhh! I like that, and it's cheap, too!

--Bryan

Nov 24, 2009, 5:49:12 PM11/24/09

What jerks her parents must have been. I wouldn't eat margarine, so I
just had toast with nothing on it. At restaurants I'd go nuts for
butter. After my father moved out she started buying butter.

--Bryan

brooklyn1

Nov 24, 2009, 8:24:26 PM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:49:12 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net>
wrote:

I guess you got lucky, her new boyfriend coulda preferred KY jelly.
hehe

--Bryan

Nov 24, 2009, 8:47:32 PM11/24/09
On Nov 24, 7:24 pm, brooklyn1 <gravesen...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:49:12 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <class...@brick.net>

About the only good use for margarine is as a lubricant for anal
intercourse.

--Bryan

Stu

Nov 24, 2009, 11:51:32 PM11/24/09
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:47:32 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <clas...@brick.net> wrote:

-->On Nov 24, 7:24�pm, brooklyn1 <gravesen...@verizon.net> wrote:
-->> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:49:12 -0800 (PST), --Bryan <class...@brick.net>
-->> wrote:
-->>
-->>
-->>
-->>
-->>
-->> >On Nov 22, 1:17�pm, "cybercat" <cyberpu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

-->>

[...]

Stop you'll get Brookyln boy all a flutter