Egg noodles

Bryan Simmons

Aug 3, 2021, 7:22:10 PM8/3/21
My wife said she imagined me "slaving over my noodles" this afternoon.
I told her that it wasn't much work. It isn't. Home made egg noodles are
super easy. The other things I did to prepare the chicken w/ carrots and
noodles dish were more work than the noodles.

If you can afford to buy freshly made egg noodles from the cold case at
the grocery store, more power to you, but dried egg noodles are vastly
less appealing, and home made egg noodles are cheap and easy. I did do
one thing differently this time. I added white pepper to the noodle dough.

--Bryan

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Aug 3, 2021, 7:45:56 PM8/3/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:22:10 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> If you can afford to buy freshly made egg noodles from the cold case at
> the grocery store, more power to you, but dried egg noodles are vastly
> less appealing, and home made egg noodles are cheap and easy. I did do
> one thing differently this time. I added white pepper to the noodle dough.
>
> --Bryan

I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the chill
chest at the grocery store for them.

jmcquown

Aug 3, 2021, 8:04:31 PM8/3/21
I like egg noodles but use them so seldom I have no incentive to make
them from scratch.

Jill

Bryan Simmons

Aug 3, 2021, 8:23:18 PM8/3/21
They are so easy. Just beat an egg, fork in flour and salt, work it a little by hand,
roll it out thin on a wood board, flipping it frequently and using minimal flour,
then just cut it with a noodle cutter. They cook really fast if you roll them out
really thin. Your first attempts might be less than ideal, but they'll still be better
than the bagged noodles. I used half rice flour and half all purpose, which makes
it more difficult to roll out, but I've done this many times. You can also add a bit
of baking powder to make thicker noodles more tender.

Play with it. One egg and some flour costs almost nothing. You'll get good at it
in no time, and you'll never want to buy dried egg noodles again.

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Aug 3, 2021, 8:26:59 PM8/3/21
They're easy, Jill. If you "use them so seldom," that's a good reason not to buy a
bag of the dried ones.

> Jill

--Bryan

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 12:44:22 AM8/4/21
I've never actually made pasta or egg noodles. That's something I've
been planning to do for some time now.

Do post a recipe if you have a good one or some tips.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 12:46:06 AM8/4/21
Can you use all purpose flour without the rice flour, or would be be
more difficult to work with? I don't think I've ever bought rice flour
before.

dsi1

Aug 4, 2021, 2:07:20 AM8/4/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:46:06 PM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 8/3/2021 8:23 PM, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> >> I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the chill
> >> chest at the grocery store for them.
> >>
> > They are so easy. Just beat an egg, fork in flour and salt, work it a little by hand,
> > roll it out thin on a wood board, flipping it frequently and using minimal flour,
> > then just cut it with a noodle cutter. They cook really fast if you roll them out
> > really thin. Your first attempts might be less than ideal, but they'll still be better
> > than the bagged noodles. I used half rice flour and half all purpose, which makes
> > it more difficult to roll out, but I've done this many times. You can also add a bit
> > of baking powder to make thicker noodles more tender.
> >
> > Play with it. One egg and some flour costs almost nothing. You'll get good at it
> > in no time, and you'll never want to buy dried egg noodles again. noo> >
> > --Bryan
> Can you use all purpose flour without the rice flour, or would be be
> more difficult to work with? I don't think I've ever bought rice flour
> before.

You don't need to use rice flour. I've never made noodles with rice flour before so it's entirely possible. You should make your first batches without rice flour. Rice flour sounds like advanced noodle making.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 4, 2021, 4:25:19 AM8/4/21
You don't need rice flour. Just beat an egg with some salt. Add flour
and mix it with a fork. It should be dry enough to not be sticky at all.
Squash it together with your hands. You don't need to knead it much.
Roll it out thin on a wood pastry board. Flip it repeatedly, and flour
only as needed. Cut with a noodle cutter.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless-Steel-Noodle-Vegetables-Cutter-Solid-Color-High-Quality-Simple-Cutter/126017081

I like to use a French rolling pin, but that's personal preference.
https://www.restaurantsupply.com/winco-wrp-20f-20-tapered-french-rolling-pin

I'm sure there are youtube videos.

--Bryan

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 4, 2021, 5:07:58 AM8/4/21
On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 8:23:18 PM UTC-4, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:45:56 PM UTC-5, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:22:10 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > If you can afford to buy freshly made egg noodles from the cold case at
> > > the grocery store, more power to you, but dried egg noodles are vastly
> > > less appealing, and home made egg noodles are cheap and easy. I did do
> > > one thing differently this time. I added white pepper to the noodle dough.
> > >
> > > --Bryan
> > >
> > I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the chill
> > chest at the grocery store for them.
> >
> They are so easy. Just beat an egg, fork in flour and salt, work it a little by hand,
> roll it out thin on a wood board, flipping it frequently and using minimal flour,
> then just cut it with a noodle cutter.

You don't even need a noodle cutter. When my grandmother
taught me to make noodles, she used a butter knife. Then again,
hers were pretty wide.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 4, 2021, 5:09:22 AM8/4/21
Yes. My grandmother made noodles with nothing but AP flour and eggs.
She cooked them in salty broth and served them in the broth, so
it all worked out just fine.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:08:54 AM8/4/21
On 8/3/2021 7:45 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
They used to sell flat ones but all I see these days are spiral ones. I
don't care for those. Even some sold as "egg noodles" don't contain
eggs. It's just spiral pasta. ugggh.

For that reason, the last couple of years, I just make my own. Not hard
to do. I like the fresh made better anyway.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:09:15 AM8/4/21
Do you mind if I add that to your list of dislikes?

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:09:31 AM8/4/21
Bryan Simmons wrote:
> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the chill
>> chest at the grocery store for them.
>>
> They are so easy. Just beat an egg, fork in flour and salt, work it a little by hand,
> roll it out thin on a wood board, flipping it frequently and using minimal flour,
> then just cut it with a noodle cutter.

What's a noodle cutter, Bryan? I use a pizza cutting wheel.

Would be nicer if I still had a pasta machine to roll and cut.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:11:20 AM8/4/21
Michael Trew wrote:
> I've never actually made pasta or egg noodles. That's something I've
> been planning to do for some time now.
>
> Do post a recipe if you have a good one or some tips.

Look up recipes from Mario Batali. Very good italian chef that knows
cooking well.

He uses the exact same recipe (includes eggs) for pasta and for egg
noodles and they are the best, imo.

Gary

Aug 4, 2021, 8:11:41 AM8/4/21
I use all purpose flour for pasta. Don't waste your time with rice
flour. I have some but haven't used it in years. I thought it might be
good for a lighter tempura batter but it's not. IMO, rice flour is a
waste of money.

Dave Smith

Aug 4, 2021, 9:36:28 AM8/4/21
Are you feeling a little retarded this morning Gary? She quite clearly
said that she likes egg noodles, but then you jumped to the conclusion
that she dislikes them.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 4, 2021, 9:39:04 AM8/4/21
It's a thing with 5 parallel pizza wheels.

--Bryan

bruce bowser

Aug 4, 2021, 1:22:21 PM8/4/21
And cooking the chicken with it just right adding all that butter in at the last minute can be a very hypnotizing meal. MMMM

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 3:09:37 PM8/4/21
On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 08:10:51 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

> Michael Trew wrote:
>> I've never actually made pasta or egg noodles. That's something I've
>> been planning to do for some time now.
>>
>> Do post a recipe if you have a good one or some tips.
>
>Look up recipes from Mario Batali. Very good italian chef that knows
>cooking well.

Why has he gotten into trouble again? #metoo? Orange crocs? I forgot.

bruce bowser

Aug 4, 2021, 3:20:51 PM8/4/21
Because this is Paris, London and New York we're dealing with. People are edgier there and sometimes things just happen.

bruce bowser

Aug 4, 2021, 3:22:06 PM8/4/21
You know, people there just have more on the line. That's all.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 3:42:06 PM8/4/21
Wut?

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 3:42:36 PM8/4/21
You still don't make any sense.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 4:01:42 PM8/4/21
Thanks - I'll try that some time. Have you ever used a pasta
press/roller/machine thing? I have a vintage one, probably near 80
years old. It's rather clean, lots of different cutting heads. I've
never tried to mess with it, but the price (free) was right, so I took it.

Michael Trew

Aug 4, 2021, 4:03:03 PM8/4/21
Pasta machine, I guess that's the term. I've never used mine, I have a
rather old one from an estate sale. I ought to dig it out.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 4, 2021, 4:14:06 PM8/4/21
Correction, 4 parallel pizza wheels.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/albums/72157719640693656

> --Bryan

--Bryan

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 7:17:56 PM8/4/21
I did NOT say I don't like egg noodles, so yes, I *do* mind.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 7:28:17 PM8/4/21
Dare I say "thank you, Dave"? No doubt he'll start quoting that as if
that proves some point. I have to wonder why he keeps a *list* of
things I don't like. Add this to the list: I don't like Gary most of
the time. Odd thing, he claims to have been keeping track of this list
for 20 years. Maybe it's not Kuthe who has a stalker. ;) Oh yes, that
was a "winky" LOL

Jill

Bruce 3.1

Aug 4, 2021, 7:44:32 PM8/4/21
On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 19:28:09 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Kuthe has 2 stalkers: Bryan and you.

Dave Smith

Aug 4, 2021, 8:06:33 PM8/4/21
I think perhaps Gary was thinking he would like to have a Me Too Moment.

jmcquown

Aug 4, 2021, 9:36:03 PM8/4/21
On 8/4/2021 8:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> On 8/3/2021 7:45 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:22:10 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you can afford to buy freshly made egg noodles from the cold case at
>>> the grocery store, more power to you, but dried egg noodles are vastly
>>> less appealing, and home made egg noodles are cheap and easy. I did do
>>> one thing differently this time. I added white pepper to the noodle
>>> dough.
>>>
>>> --Bryan
>>>
>> I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the
>> chill
>> chest at the grocery store for them.
>
> They used to sell flat ones but all I see these days are spiral ones. I
> don't care for those. Even some sold as "egg noodles" don't contain
> eggs. It's just spiral pasta.  ugggh.

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you're looking at but the refrigerated pasta I
see is usually linguini or even angel hair, not spiral. Neither are the
dried egg noodles, although I can buy rotini (and prefer it for a few
pasta dishes).

> For that reason, the last couple of years, I just make my own. Not hard
> to do. I like the fresh made better anyway.

Good for you! Talk about what you make with your fresh homemade egg
noodles, please.

Jill

dsi1

Aug 4, 2021, 9:44:11 PM8/4/21
The thing I like about pasta machines is that it makes working/kneading the dough easy. The dough is run through the rollers, folded, and rolled again. This is repeated several times.I never had much luck with the cutters though. They never seemed to cut very well.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 5, 2021, 4:49:30 AM8/5/21
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 9:36:03 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 8/4/2021 8:08 AM, Gary wrote:
> > On 8/3/2021 7:45 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> >> I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the
> >> chill
> >> chest at the grocery store for them.
> >
> > They used to sell flat ones but all I see these days are spiral ones. I
> > don't care for those. Even some sold as "egg noodles" don't contain
> > eggs. It's just spiral pasta. ugggh.
> >
> Hmmm, I'm not sure what you're looking at but the refrigerated pasta I
> see is usually linguini or even angel hair, not spiral. Neither are the
> dried egg noodles, although I can buy rotini (and prefer it for a few
> pasta dishes).

Sure. Standard egg noodles at the store are spiral:

<https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/Muellers-Egg-Noodles-12-oz/40839932>

I can't imagine why that matters, but to each their own.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 5, 2021, 4:50:35 AM8/5/21
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 8:08:54 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> On 8/3/2021 7:45 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:22:10 PM UTC-5, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> If you can afford to buy freshly made egg noodles from the cold case at
> >> the grocery store, more power to you, but dried egg noodles are vastly
> >> less appealing, and home made egg noodles are cheap and easy. I did do
> >> one thing differently this time. I added white pepper to the noodle dough.
> >>
> >> --Bryan
> >>
> > I love egg noodles but never have thought to make them nor look in the chill
> > chest at the grocery store for them.
> They used to sell flat ones but all I see these days are spiral ones. I
> don't care for those.

Do you mind if I add that to your list of dislikes?

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:13:03 AM8/5/21
You need to read for comprehension (and remember). Now you claim that
I've kept a list of your dislikes for 20 years. lol

My list of your dislikes encompassed only 6-7 weeks last year.
I did that out of boredom while waiting for phone call.
It was funny how you dislike almost as much as Julie did.
Hence, the 2 princesses here.

In a separate thread, I said I've known you for 21 years.
You denied it but I proved it was true. You just forgot.

Dont drink and drive. Also, don't drink and post. :)

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:15:29 AM8/5/21
Ok, I'll leave that off. :-)
btw, my reason to add it to the list was the last part:

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:49:22 AM8/5/21
jmcquown wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> For that reason, the last couple of years, I just make my own. Not
>> hard to do. I like the fresh made better anyway.
>>
> Good for you! Talk about what you make with your fresh homemade egg
> noodles, please.

I prefer it for *anything* that calls for pasta or egg noodles.

I like it fresh made and immediately cooked but if you like al dente,
just make extra and dry it well first. The fresh taste lasts a long time.

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 9:54:02 AM8/5/21
You sure can, Cindy. If you would like, I can post a list of my
dislikes. Not too many things but everyone has some list.

The 2 princesses go to excess with dislikes.

Sheldon Martin

Aug 5, 2021, 11:52:58 AM8/5/21
On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 21:35:54 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Long ago I made scratch pasta and scratch egg noodles but don't find
them any better than dry in a box from the market. For egg noodles I
prefer Goodman's and Manachewitz but they aren't so much better than
store brand egg noodles that they are worth twice the price. I much
prefer dried pasta as it's always at the ready and there are so many
shapes to choose from, I keep quite a collection in the pantry. I
like that all I need do is boil a pot of water and can eat pasta in a
few minutes and no mess.
My favorite dish to make with egg noodles is a kugel... I like it with
all the different size noodles but I think I like it with fine egg
noodles best... very good cooked with white raisins and cinnamon. I
make it in a large skillet, I like it hot and cold.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/collection-of-kugel-recipes-4056563
I like having an assortment for adding to soups, egg noodles were made
for chicken soup.

Gary

Aug 5, 2021, 12:17:54 PM8/5/21
Sheldon Martin wrote:
> Long ago I made scratch pasta and scratch egg noodles but don't find
> them any better than dry in a box from the market.

That one comment proves that you've never made your own fresh pasta.

bruce bowser

Aug 5, 2021, 12:40:43 PM8/5/21
How do you know that they - and you aren't all the same person? Like the Bruce's.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 2:39:07 PM8/5/21
Not necessarily. Sheldon just makes shit up. He says whatever he feels
like saying with no regard for the truth. Either way though, he's a liar.

--Bryan

Bruce 3.1

Aug 5, 2021, 3:18:45 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 09:12:33 -0400, Gary <g.ma...@att.net> wrote:

>On 8/4/2021 7:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Dare I say "thank you, Dave"? No doubt he'll start quoting that as if
>> that proves some point. I have to wonder why he keeps a *list* of
>> things I don't like. Add this to the list: I don't like Gary most of
>> the time. Odd thing, he claims to have been keeping track of this list
>> for 20 years. Maybe it's not Kuthe who has a stalker. ;) Oh yes, that
>> was a "winky" LOL
>>
>> Jill
>
>You need to read for comprehension (and remember). Now you claim that
>I've kept a list of your dislikes for 20 years. lol
>
>My list of your dislikes encompassed only 6-7 weeks last year.
>I did that out of boredom while waiting for phone call.
>It was funny how you dislike almost as much as Julie did.
>Hence, the 2 princesses here.

Don't underestimate Cindy either and careful with the glaze on her
doughnuts!

Bruce 3.1

Aug 5, 2021, 3:22:42 PM8/5/21
If someone doesn't want to make egg noodles from scratch, that's their
business, but Jill has to announce all these things to the world.

Bruce 3.1

Aug 5, 2021, 3:41:16 PM8/5/21
The absence of xanthan gum alone!

Bruce 3.1

Aug 5, 2021, 3:42:44 PM8/5/21
There's only one Bruce and then there's Bruce the Lesser.

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 5:19:18 PM8/5/21
Are you saying Popeye is an elderly douche bag?

I would still like to believe he fucked a nun in the vatican, but
my faith is faltering. Perhaps the Pope fucked Popeye?

Oh dear, where is Ophelia when shit happens?

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 6:26:38 PM8/5/21
On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 4:19:18 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >> That one comment proves that you've never made your own fresh pasta.
> >>
> > Not necessarily. Sheldon just makes shit up. He says whatever he feels
> > like saying with no regard for the truth. Either way though, he's a liar.
> >
> > --Bryan
> >
> Are you saying Popeye is an elderly douche bag?
>
> I would still like to believe he fucked a nun in the vatican, but
> my faith is faltering.

After the way his people treated poor ol' Jesus, I doubt that a
nun would give him the time of day.

--Bryan

Bruce 3.1

Aug 5, 2021, 6:33:54 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 15:26:34 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 4:19:18 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>> Bryan Simmons wrote:

>> > Not necessarily. Sheldon just makes shit up. He says whatever he feels
>> > like saying with no regard for the truth. Either way though, he's a liar.
>> >
>> Are you saying Popeye is an elderly douche bag?
>>
>> I would still like to believe he fucked a nun in the vatican, but
>> my faith is faltering.
>>
>After the way his people treated poor ol' Jesus, I doubt that a
>nun would give him the time of day.

He was the strongest man the nun had ever seen. She simply couldn't
resist. (Sheldon's words)

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 7:11:53 PM8/5/21
Why, I bet the trusty shellback could hoist the anchor with his own petard.

--Bryan

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 7:16:19 PM8/5/21
You did not prove you've known me for 21 years.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 7:17:10 PM8/5/21
So fucking what? Lots of people don't make egg noodles from scratch.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 7:30:29 PM8/5/21
>>  Â  "I have no incentive to make them from scratch."
>>

> So fucking what?  Lots of people don't make egg noodles from scratch.
>
> Jill

After all this, I don't think I want any fucking egg noodles.

Damn.

Hank Rogers

Aug 5, 2021, 7:32:53 PM8/5/21
You could preempt him and prove that he hasn't known you for 21 years.

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 8:03:59 PM8/5/21
Okay, I call those curly, not actually spiral. Semantics. I buy dried
egg noodles in bags and yes, they look like that. I use them a few
times a year if I make buttered egg noodles to go with pork chops or
when making chicken noodle soup.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 8:24:03 PM8/5/21
How often to you make them?

Jill

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 8:26:20 PM8/5/21
I can even see liking those slippery dried noodles for buttered noodles,
but you should really try making your own for soup. No decent restaurant
uses those dried, bagged noodles in chicken soup.

> Jill

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Aug 5, 2021, 8:40:29 PM8/5/21
I think what Gary means is that you use what you make that day, but you
let it dry for several hours before boiling. As they dry, the gluten sets up,
and they're firmer the longer that you let them dry. Flour and eggs are
cheap.

> Jill

--Bryan

GM

Aug 5, 2021, 8:45:53 PM8/5/21
Kuthenoodles.com

Could ya DIG it...???

--
GM

Dave Smith

Aug 5, 2021, 8:51:35 PM8/5/21
The way he has been whining he had better be making them at least once a
week or I am going to add it the list of his dislikes.

jmcquown

Aug 5, 2021, 9:25:33 PM8/5/21
LOL I rarely see him post about actually cooking anything.

Jill

Mike Duffy

Aug 5, 2021, 9:30:09 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:26:34 -0700, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> After the way his people treated poor ol' Jesus,
> I doubt that a nun would give him the time of day.

Huh? Are you saying that Pontius was a closet queen?

Mike Duffy

Aug 5, 2021, 9:45:11 PM8/5/21
On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 18:30:21 -0500, Hank Rogers wrote:

> After all this, I don't think I want any fucking egg noodles.

The fresh-made ones are much better, Hank. But I would not bother with
messing a bunch of tools when you can get it from the cooler at the store
alongside a half-dozen different types of fresh sauce you can pour over
it. (marinara, alfredo, pesto, curry, romanov, &c)

You still need to cook the noodles but that is way quicker than with
dried noodles.

Cindy Hamilton

Aug 6, 2021, 4:32:28 AM8/6/21
Not Pilate. The Sanhedrin.

Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Aug 6, 2021, 4:50:50 AM8/6/21
Pilate was a mysophobe.

> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 9:52:43 AM8/6/21
Jill had posted many times in the past, "Why do you buy that? So easy to
make your own." I don't forget all her little comments but she
conveniently does.

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 9:54:52 AM8/6/21
Not often enough. BTW, the better taste makes it worth making.
Like comparing canned corn to fresh corn.
Or comparing canned tomatoes to garden fresh picked.

If I still had my hand cranked pasta machine, to roll and cut in
different sizes, I would make it more often and also make extra to dry.
Even the dried tastes so much better that grocery store boxed.

I still buy boxed pasta but only due to lazyness.

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 9:55:13 AM8/6/21
No Bryan. When I make pasta myself, first batch goes right into the pot
of boiling water for only about 2 minutes or so. Any extra I might make
can be dried and still fresh tasting for up to 3 weeks.

Gary

Aug 6, 2021, 10:02:27 AM8/6/21
Hank Rogers wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>> In a separate thread, I said I've known you for 21 years.
>>> You denied it but I proved it was true. You just forgot.
>>>
>> You did not prove you've known me for 21 years.
>>
>> Jill
>
> You could preempt him and prove that he hasn't known you for 21 years.

It's actually been 22 years - since 1999.
Easy lookup for me as I have several recipes that she posted starting in
July 1999 to alt.cooking.chat

I was in that group and remember when she first started posting there.
She lived in Tennessee then.

And I did prove it by saying anyone can do the Google Archives thing.
Just search for alt.cooking.chat jmcquown 1999
She started posting there then and you can also see many Gary responses.

We also emailed back and forth a handful of times but I didn't save
those emails. I remember them though. I'm old but still have a pretty
good memory.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 6, 2021, 10:11:29 AM8/6/21
I wouldn't call a rolling pin and a noodle cutter "a bunch of tools."

--Bryan

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 12:44:35 PM8/6/21
Yet you claim I said I have photos of the Hindeburg crash, which is
blantantly untrue. I have official military (not classified)
documentation about the preparations for the Hindenburg landing at
Lakehurst, leading up to and ending the the day before the crash. No
records after that.

If you were posting to alt-cooking.chat, sorry but I have no memory of
you and I have a pretty good memory, too. And when you started posting
to RFC (after I'd moved to SC) you didn't say hey, I remember you. In
fact, you seemed happy to find we had some common interests.

This is a silly discussion.

Jill

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 12:47:59 PM8/6/21
I don't forget those things, Gary. But egg noodles isn't something I
would say that about. I would say that about something like buying a
box of Kraft Mac & Cheese with that awful powdered cheese because it's
true. Basically the same steps are required, the taste results are
totally different.

Jill

bruce bowser

Aug 6, 2021, 2:28:58 PM8/6/21
The taste of that Mac & Cheese (especially cold) does taste better than home made, though.

Bryan Simmons

Aug 6, 2021, 2:33:02 PM8/6/21
Because you are a lousy cook.

--Bryan

Dave Smith

Aug 6, 2021, 4:15:36 PM8/6/21
Poppycock. I grew up with home made macaroni and cheese. We had the
boxed crap a couple times hen our son was young, but after a few years
even he realized how much better the real stuff is.

Michael Trew

Aug 6, 2021, 10:23:07 PM8/6/21
Agreed, no matter the variety, you can't match even half decent homemade
mac n cheese to a box; it doesn't come close.

Michael Trew

Aug 6, 2021, 10:23:45 PM8/6/21
I thought the pasta holds up better if you let it dry before you boil it?

Michael Trew

Aug 6, 2021, 10:24:21 PM8/6/21
On 8/6/2021 9:54 AM, Gary wrote:
I've got one of those old hand cranked ones with multiple size cutters.
I really ought to clean that out -- never used it.

jmcquown

Aug 6, 2021, 11:31:04 PM8/6/21
On 8/6/2021 4:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
No comparison. Not even my mother, who really didn't like to cook,
didn't make the stuff that came with a packet of powdered cheese. I
tried it once when I was about 20 thinking hey, it's 4 boxes for a
dollar! I soon figured out why. (BTW, only bowser would think cold mac
& cheese is a good thing.)

As for the steps involved... with the boxed mix you still have to boil
the macaroni. You still have to melt butter and add milk. Then you add
the powdered cheese stuff. Why not just melt butter, stir in some flour
with S&P to make a roux, add milk and add shredded or cubed cheese until
melted? Then you stir in the cooked macaroni. Basically the same steps
and takes about the same amount of time.

I prefer baked mac & cheese topped with buttered breadcrumbs. Nice
crispy browned top. That simply doesn't work well with the boxed mix.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

Aug 7, 2021, 10:12:46 AM8/7/21
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 23:30:54 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Homemade pasta is not something one uses for mac n' cheese, a total
waste of all one's effort. I actually don't see the point in using
fresh homemade pasta for most pasta dishes... certainly not for mac n'
cheese... no normal person uses homemade pasta with Velveeta/American
cheese. I don't even like mac n' cheese... if it's good cheese it
wastes the cheese. Good cheese is eaten on it's own, NEVER cooked...
using powdered cheese for mac n' cheese is a brilliant move... I think
it's sad to use real fresh mozz on pizza, some Italian farmers are
rolling over in their graves. Real fresh mozz is eaten with ripe home
grown Romas, a loaf of semolena, good EVOO, a stick of sopressata, and
a jug of Guinea Red.

Hank Rogers

Aug 7, 2021, 11:31:52 AM8/7/21
No crystal Palace Popeye?

bruce bowser

Aug 7, 2021, 12:16:55 PM8/7/21
Do you scald the milk?

Michael Trew

Aug 8, 2021, 9:38:59 AM8/8/21
Aldi still sells boxes for 33 cents each. I have had them in my cabinet
for over a year now. No better or worse than Kraft, but I only eat them
if I'm desperate.. lol

Michael Trew

Aug 8, 2021, 9:40:56 AM8/8/21
On 8/7/2021 10:12 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 23:30:54 -0400, jmcquown<j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> Poppycock. I grew up with home made macaroni and cheese. We had the
>>> boxed crap a couple times hen our son was young, but after a few years
>>> even he realized how much better the real stuff is.
>>
>> No comparison. Not even my mother, who really didn't like to cook,
>> didn't make the stuff that came with a packet of powdered cheese. I
>> tried it once when I was about 20 thinking hey, it's 4 boxes for a
>> dollar! I soon figured out why. (BTW, only bowser would think cold mac
>> & cheese is a good thing.)
>>
>> As for the steps involved... with the boxed mix you still have to boil
>> the macaroni. You still have to melt butter and add milk. Then you add
>> the powdered cheese stuff. Why not just melt butter, stir in some flour
>> with S&P to make a roux, add milk and add shredded or cubed cheese until
>> melted? Then you stir in the cooked macaroni. Basically the same steps
>> and takes about the same amount of time.
>>
>> I prefer baked mac& cheese topped with buttered breadcrumbs. Nice
>> crispy browned top. That simply doesn't work well with the boxed mix.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Homemade pasta is not something one uses for mac n' cheese, a total
> waste of all one's effort. I actually don't see the point in using
> fresh homemade pasta for most pasta dishes... certainly not for mac n'
> cheese... no normal person uses homemade pasta with Velveeta/American
> cheese. I don't even like mac n' cheese... if it's good cheese it
> wastes the cheese. Good cheese is eaten on it's own, NEVER cooked...
> using powdered cheese for mac n' cheese is a brilliant move... I think
> it's sad to use real fresh mozz on pizza, some Italian farmers are
> rolling over in their graves. Real fresh mozz is eaten with ripe home
> grown Romas, a loaf of semolena, good EVOO, a stick of sopressata, and
> a jug of Guinea Red.

She didn't mention homemade pasta, just homemade cheese sauce. I
wouldn't use mozzarella in mac n cheese, the good stuff is too expensive
(and the shredded bagged stuff is not good). A block of cheddar cheese
grated up makes good mac n cheese, perhaps mixed with another creamier
cheese on the cheap side.