Peruvian Smoke-Grilled Chicken

Sqwertz

Apr 30, 2021, 11:22:54 PM4/30/21
Whole chicken marinated in garlic, paprika, aji pepper, cumin, EVOO,
etc... Smoke grilled over mesquite lump and post oak.

https://i.postimg.cc/SQTKhTRd/Peruvian-Chicken-Grilled-Whole.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Gt53x2VV/Peruvian-Chicken-Plated.jpg

Served with jalapeno-aji sauce and choriso beans with fresh-cooked
tortillas.

Roughly followed this, but sauce is my own creation.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html

-sw

Ed Pawlowski

Apr 30, 2021, 11:52:56 PM4/30/21
Looks good. I often cook chicken similar to that (minis the peppers)
but never flip it. Better that rotisserie.

Sqwertz

May 1, 2021, 12:07:36 AM5/1/21
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 23:52:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 4/30/2021 11:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> Whole chicken marinated in garlic, paprika, aji pepper, cumin, EVOO,
>> etc... Smoke grilled over mesquite lump and post oak.
>>
>> https://i.postimg.cc/SQTKhTRd/Peruvian-Chicken-Grilled-Whole.jpg
>> https://i.postimg.cc/Gt53x2VV/Peruvian-Chicken-Plated.jpg
>>
>> Served with jalapeno-aji sauce and choriso beans with fresh-cooked
>> tortillas.
>>
>> Roughly followed this, but sauce is my own creation.
>>
>> https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html
>>
> Looks good. I often cook chicken similar to that (minis the peppers)
> but never flip it. Better that rotisserie.

This gal only spent 1/4 of the time on her breasts.

-sw

Dr. Bruce

May 1, 2021, 12:39:04 AM5/1/21
So have Reuben and you divorced?

--
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

bruce bowser

May 1, 2021, 7:43:08 AM5/1/21
I saw where celery and celeriac and ginger are great replacements for all that garlic.

Cindy Hamilton

May 1, 2021, 9:13:47 AM5/1/21
It's only 5 cloves of garlic.

I figure on 1 clove of garlic (or more) for every person eating a dish.

Cindy Hamilton

US Janet

May 1, 2021, 10:33:22 AM5/1/21
there's never inough garlic! It's good for your heart
Janet US

US Janet

May 1, 2021, 10:34:23 AM5/1/21
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 22:22:37 -0500, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:
That chicken looks mighty fine. Wonderful meal you served.
Janet US

jmcquown

May 1, 2021, 11:01:41 AM5/1/21
I'd like to know where bowser "saw where celery and celeriac and ginger
are great replacements for all that garlic." It would certainly change
the flavor profile. Replacements? Never.

Jill

US Janet

May 1, 2021, 11:52:01 AM5/1/21
On Sat, 1 May 2021 11:01:33 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
O dpm't know either
Janet US

GM

May 1, 2021, 1:23:15 PM5/1/21
Yup, Janet, I consider garlic a *food group* in and of itself...

;-D

--
Best
Greg

Dr. Bruce

May 1, 2021, 3:11:14 PM5/1/21
There is no replacement for garlic. There is only garlic and no garlic.

Hank Rogers

May 1, 2021, 3:20:21 PM5/1/21
Dr. Bruce wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
>
>> On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 11:22:54 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> Whole chicken marinated in garlic, paprika, aji pepper, cumin,
>>> EVOO, etc... Smoke grilled over mesquite lump and post oak.
>>>
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/SQTKhTRd/Peruvian-Chicken-Grilled-Whole.jpg
>>> https://i.postimg.cc/Gt53x2VV/Peruvian-Chicken-Plated.jpg
>>>
>>> Served with jalapeno-aji sauce and choriso beans with fresh-cooked
>>> tortillas.
>>>
>>> Roughly followed this, but sauce is my own creation.
>>>
>>> https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-c
>>> hicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html
>>
>> I saw where celery and celeriac and ginger are great replacements for
>> all that garlic.
>
> There is no replacement for garlic.

For you, there is always rectal fumes!

bruce bowser

May 1, 2021, 4:20:30 PM5/1/21
And why do you want to know that?

GM

May 1, 2021, 4:23:42 PM5/1/21
Jill's kinda the "nozey" type, BB, plus which she always has a lot of "time" on her "hands"...

--
Best
Greg

bruce bowser

May 1, 2021, 4:25:10 PM5/1/21

GM

May 1, 2021, 4:32:30 PM5/1/21
Yup...there ya go...

Now that you proved your point, Princess Jill will conveniently "scram" from this convo...

--
Best
Greg

Dr Bruce

May 1, 2021, 4:35:43 PM5/1/21
On 5/1/2021 4:32 PM, GM wrote:
> Now that you proved your point, Princess Jill will conveniently "scram" from this convo...

Jill has us 'trolls' all fake killfiled, she stomps her feet
in frustration until you piss her off enough to respond.

Cindy Hamilton

May 2, 2021, 4:54:20 AM5/2/21
None of those taste like fresh garlic. Not even garlic powder tastes like
fresh garlic; the others are just laughable. Might as well leave it out as
substitute cumin for garlic.

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

May 2, 2021, 10:27:21 AM5/2/21
Unless you grow your own you've very likely never eaten fresh garlic,
those garlic bulbs at market are *dried* garlic... the onions sold at
market are also dried onions.

Cindy Hamilton

May 2, 2021, 11:48:05 AM5/2/21
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 10:27:21 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 2 May 2021 01:54:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> >None of those taste like fresh garlic. Not even garlic powder tastes like
> >fresh garlic; the others are just laughable. Might as well leave it out as
> >substitute cumin for garlic.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton
> Unless you grow your own you've very likely never eaten fresh garlic,
> those garlic bulbs at market are *dried* garlic... the onions sold at
> market are also dried onions.

Thanks for reminding me that it's time to fertilize the garlic bed.

Cindy Hamilton

dsi1

May 2, 2021, 12:01:32 PM5/2/21
I made some Hawaiian chop steak last night. I'm trying to refine this dish by leaving stuff out. It was not made with the usual seasonings and an attempt was made to make it more like old time plantation cooking. There was no garlic, no ketchup, no oyster sauce, no sesame oil. The dish was made with some salt, pepper, shoyu, and MSG. I did use the Chinese technique of marinating the beef with cornstarch. Next time I leave that out too because they didn't do that back in the old days - I think. I'm going back in time. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VNSuc2pVZFXLBus97

bruce bowser

May 2, 2021, 12:45:53 PM5/2/21
On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 12:01:32 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 1:43:08 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:
> > On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 11:22:54 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> > > Whole chicken marinated in garlic, paprika, aji pepper, cumin, EVOO,
> > > etc... Smoke grilled over mesquite lump and post oak.
> > >
> > > https://i.postimg.cc/SQTKhTRd/Peruvian-Chicken-Grilled-Whole.jpg
> > > https://i.postimg.cc/Gt53x2VV/Peruvian-Chicken-Plated.jpg
> > >
> > > Served with jalapeno-aji sauce and choriso beans with fresh-cooked
> > > tortillas.
> > >
> > > Roughly followed this, but sauce is my own creation.
> > >
> > > https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html
> > I saw where celery and celeriac and ginger are great replacements for all that garlic.
> I made some Hawaiian chop steak last night. I'm trying to refine this dish by leaving stuff out. It was not made with the usual seasonings and an attempt was made to make it more like old time plantation cooking. There was no garlic, no ketchup, no oyster sauce, no sesame oil. The dish was made with some salt, pepper, shoyu, and MSG. I did use the Chinese technique of marinating the beef with cornstarch.

That definitely get's me thinking about whiskey marinated steaks on the grill.

Dr. Bruce

May 2, 2021, 2:43:02 PM5/2/21
Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, May 2, 2021 at 10:27:21 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 May 2021 01:54:16 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
>
> > > None of those taste like fresh garlic. Not even garlic powder
> > > tastes like fresh garlic; the others are just laughable. Might as
> > > well leave it out as substitute cumin for garlic.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton
> > Unless you grow your own you've very likely never eaten fresh
> > garlic, those garlic bulbs at market are dried garlic... the onions
> > sold at market are also dried onions.
>
> Thanks for reminding me that it's time to fertilize the garlic bed.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Don't use Chinese manure!

Dr. Bruce

May 2, 2021, 9:08:01 PM5/2/21

Gary

May 4, 2021, 7:58:53 AM5/4/21
dsi1 wrote:
> I made some Hawaiian chop steak last night.

> I did use the Chinese technique of marinating the beef
> with cornstarch. Next time I leave that out too because
> they didn't do that back in the old days -

> I think. I'm going back in time. :)

Last night, I went "back to the future."

Watched a big wave surfing contest broadcast live from southwestern
Australia (Margaret River).

They were surfing on Monday morning there but I was watching it live on
Sunday night. heh heh It will continue tonight. (fox sports 2)

Watched it again last night (Monday). Waves were a bit smaller but still
fun to watch.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 3:01:28 PM5/4/21
Surfing is big in Australia. So are the sharks.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 4:00:10 PM5/4/21
The real Dr. Bruce posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

bruce bowser

May 4, 2021, 8:05:53 PM5/4/21
The same in the northwestern parts of each Hawai'ian island.

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 8:21:43 PM5/4/21
In that case, I'd rather get an AstraZeneca vaccination than go surfing
in Australia or Hawaii.

bruce bowser

May 4, 2021, 8:41:27 PM5/4/21
Yet, Trump said not to let these things "dominate", right?

Dr. Bruce

May 4, 2021, 8:50:38 PM5/4/21
Trump's like Sheldon. The opposite of what they say tends to be true.

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 5:15:02 AM5/5/21
=====

What is wrong with that vaccine? We've had both and it hasn't
affected us at all!

Dr. Bruce

May 5, 2021, 6:18:42 AM5/5/21
My in-laws had it too. They had no side effects. But AstraZeneca has a
tiny bit more chance of blood clotting problems than Pfizer and
Moderna, I believe. The Danes stopped using it and Janssen too, I
believe.

I'd take it though. If I couldn't take that minute risk, I'd have to
stop crossing streets as well.

bruce bowser

May 5, 2021, 7:57:49 AM5/5/21
In the USA, they keep having to cancel "bad batches" of it for some reason.

Cindy Hamilton

May 5, 2021, 9:04:20 AM5/5/21
Could you possibly be any more vague or misleading?

<https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/johnson-johnson-confirms-one-vaccine-batch-was-discarded-over-production-n1262696>

And some doses have been spoiled by improper (or malicious)
handling by health care providers.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

May 5, 2021, 10:32:41 AM5/5/21
Australia has more than it's fair share of dangerous animals.

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 12:43:49 PM5/5/21
====

True enough!

I don't know anyone who got that problem using the AZ vaccine.

I had heard the Pfizer had more of that problem!

From what I hear, Macron caused a lot a fear and I think was the one
who stopped peope using it:(

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 12:45:56 PM5/5/21
=====

I hadn't heard of that, nor did I hear of any problems with it here!

bruce bowser

May 5, 2021, 1:42:02 PM5/5/21
Google it, then. Don't be scared. Try it: put the words 'discard' and vaccine' in the search engine.

dsi1

May 5, 2021, 1:49:05 PM5/5/21
I've never heard of Margaret River before. I watched some Youtube videos on that spot. Those are some very nice waves. I was watching some Australian competition while eating at Big City Diner. The sound was turned off and I wasn't able to find out where it was taking place. The waves weren't that big and the surfers were doing tricks. It was a little goofy.
My guess is that the greatest big wave spot on the planet hasn't been discovered yet. Maybe it'll never be discovered or maybe the warming earth will change the ones we have. My guess is that the surfers will be riding bigger waves than we can ever imagine in a hundred years from now. They'll be towed/flown to the waves using robot drones. :)

dsi1

May 5, 2021, 1:53:37 PM5/5/21
There's been a couple of sharky incidents in the last few days.

https://www.newsweek.com/girl-narrowly-escapes-shark-popular-hawaii-beach-terrifying-video-1588490

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 1:58:17 PM5/5/21

>>>   > I did use the Chinese technique of marinating the beef
>>>   > with cornstarch. Next time I leave that out too because
>>>   > they didn't do that back in the old days -

Dsi1! When you marinate your beef with cornstarch ... is it dry or or
mixed in liquid??

Apols to those who I had to delete, but I didn't see his original post.

bruce bowser

May 5, 2021, 2:18:32 PM5/5/21
And just think of all the coastline that doesn't even speak english - yet have video cameras. Sharks have a year round fest. I guess they always have.

bruce bowser

May 5, 2021, 2:20:11 PM5/5/21
Its a watery solution: Add a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a splash of water, cornstarch, baking soda, white pepper, and garlic powder to a bowl and allow the meat to sit and let it marinate

Graham

May 5, 2021, 2:42:48 PM5/5/21
On 2021-05-05 11:49 a.m., dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 4, 2021 at 1:58:53 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>> I made some Hawaiian chop steak last night.
>>> I did use the Chinese technique of marinating the beef
>>> with cornstarch. Next time I leave that out too because
>>> they didn't do that back in the old days -
>>
>>> I think. I'm going back in time. :)
>> Last night, I went "back to the future."
>>
>> Watched a big wave surfing contest broadcast live from southwestern
>> Australia (Margaret River).
>>
>> They were surfing on Monday morning there but I was watching it live on
>> Sunday night. heh heh It will continue tonight. (fox sports 2)
>>
>> Watched it again last night (Monday). Waves were a bit smaller but still
>> fun to watch.
>
> I've never heard of Margaret River before.

Much more famous for its wines. It's a beautiful area and I hope to
visit again next year.

Dr. Bruce

May 5, 2021, 3:05:34 PM5/5/21
Snakes are the hardest to get used to if you live in the countryside.
They're everywhere.

Dr. Bruce

May 5, 2021, 3:19:08 PM5/5/21
The Danes stopped it altogether. The Dutch only use it for over 60s
(because their corona risk outweighs the vaccine risk). There are more
countries. I don't know about the US.

Dr. Bruce

May 5, 2021, 3:20:47 PM5/5/21
It's a very small risk. One in so many hundred thousand, depending on
age. The risk of dying from covid is much bigger.

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 4:01:59 PM5/5/21
====

Thank you :)

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 4:04:26 PM5/5/21
====

Thanks very much:))))))

Ophelia

May 5, 2021, 4:14:03 PM5/5/21
=====

Oh Yes!!!!!

bruce bowser

May 6, 2021, 4:03:58 AM5/6/21
I only googled it. Its no biggie.

dsi1

May 6, 2021, 4:18:34 AM5/6/21
Typically, I'll add some soy sauce and a little cornstarch and some salt and pepper. You can add other things such as ginger, garlic, oil, oyster sauce, even an egg, and baking soda. I don't feel the need to add that most times. I'll let the beef marinade for about 5 minutes. If fried at high temperature in oil until barely done, you should get a flavorful and tender beef.

Ophelia

May 6, 2021, 4:21:26 AM5/6/21
===

Oh! Well thank you anyway:)

Ophelia

May 6, 2021, 5:22:44 AM5/6/21
====

Thanks very much:))

dsi1

May 6, 2021, 6:00:29 AM5/6/21
That place reminds me of Half Moon Bay California. It's a little town that's known for its annual Arts and Pumpkin Festival. It's also the location of a big wave spot that rivals anything on the North Shore of Oahu. It's a dangerous spot and I'm not talking about sharks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8CjVZtW-tY

Gary

May 6, 2021, 8:13:54 AM5/6/21
On 5/5/2021 1:49 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> I've never heard of Margaret River before. I watched some Youtube videos on that spot. Those are some very nice waves. I was watching some Australian competition while eating at Big City Diner. The sound was turned off and I wasn't able to find out where it was taking place. The waves weren't that big and the surfers were doing tricks. It was a little goofy.
> My guess is that the greatest big wave spot on the planet hasn't been discovered yet. Maybe it'll never be discovered or maybe the warming earth will change the ones we have. My guess is that the surfers will be riding bigger waves than we can ever imagine in a hundred years from now. They'll be towed/flown to the waves using robot drones. :)

Yes. With global warming, surf spots will change. The Margaret River
spot isn't that good, imo. Get in a few moves then the wave closes out.
Very large waves in last night's contest. Larger than I would surf in.

Anyway some people do extreme large wave surfing now. They are towed
into the wave by jet ski to catch them early.

None of that for me ever. My favorite waves are about 3-6 foot faces,
not 20-30 foot faces. Fun to ride but not dangerous.

bruce bowser

May 6, 2021, 11:49:55 AM5/6/21
You may not have been talking about sharks, but were they talking about you?
(That's the one thing i've never liked about beaches)
Great white shark spotted off coast of Half Moon Bay -
ABC7 News - Aug 10, 2019
-- https://abc7news.com/shark-sighting-spotted-great-white/5459052/#:~:text=HALF%20MOON%20BAY%2C%20Calif.,p.m.%20Saturday%20to%20the%20harbormaster.

dsi1

May 6, 2021, 1:27:28 PM5/6/21
Half Moon Bay is hunting grounds for big great white sharks. Mavericks is a scary and dangerous surfing spot. So much so, that great whites are mostly a nuisance. My guess is that sharks mostly stay away from that dangerous surf. My brother-in-laws would know about the sharks. The fished for abalone in the bay. Half Moon Bay is a famous spot for shark attacks on abalone divers. The sharks aren't particularly interested in eating humans. The divers in wet suits on boards look a lot like fat seals from below. The attacks are mostly test bites. The sharks tend to move on once they realize we ain't seal.

bruce bowser

May 6, 2021, 1:32:12 PM5/6/21
Fancy. I always thought that sharks werent interested in humans (especially below the surface) unless ... someone has even the slightest open bleeding wound. Then? I suspect that all bets are off. Big time !!

bruce bowser

May 6, 2021, 1:33:09 PM5/6/21
The moral of the story is ... who is stupid enought to have a wound and go into the water?

Sheldon Martin

May 6, 2021, 1:43:21 PM5/6/21
Sharks don't eat Ukeleles... Ukeleles taste like Shit.

dsi1

May 6, 2021, 1:51:44 PM5/6/21
A lot depends on what foods are available in the area when you're hungry. Sometimes you just have to eat at McDonald's. If you're a Great White and in Scotland you might actually dine on a guy named McDonald.

dsi1

May 6, 2021, 2:11:36 PM5/6/21
I sure hope you're right about that. The locals call really white people frolicking in the ocean, "shark bait." The old Hawaiians considered sharks to be their family's personal god/spirit i.e., "Aumakua.

Leo

May 7, 2021, 3:24:33 AM5/7/21
On 2021 May 5, , Dr. Bruce wrote
(in article <ifg8jm...@mid.individual.net>):

> Snakes are the hardest to get used to if you live in the countryside.
> They're everywhere.

Relax! Three out of ten won´t kill you.

Leo

May 7, 2021, 3:37:08 AM5/7/21
On 2021 May 5, , dsi1 wrote
(in article<a4ba958a-4a78-4bc6...@googlegroups.com>):

> My guess is that the greatest big wave spot on the planet hasn't been
> discovered yet. Maybe it'll never be discovered or maybe the warming earth
> will change the ones we have. My guess is that the surfers will be riding
> bigger waves than we can ever imagine in a hundred years from now. They'll be
> towed/flown to the waves using robot drones. :)

Currently, my guess would be the Bay of Fundy on a big wave day, but I´m
not a surfer.

Joie McDonalds

May 7, 2021, 3:59:16 AM5/7/21
If you mean that they're not all venomous, you're right. We have green
tree snakes and pythons, which are fine. Then we have whip snakes and
crown snakes, which are mildly venomous. Then we have small-eyed
snakes, which are very venomous but not often nasty. And then we have
brown snakes, which are very venomous and can be bad tempered.

The other 15 types I haven't seen on our property yet, which doesn't
mean anything.

--
The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

John

May 7, 2021, 4:59:46 AM5/7/21
Cook your chicken in this instead! https://amzn.to/3nXvUOs

Leo

May 7, 2021, 5:22:02 AM5/7/21
On 2021 May 7, , Joie McDonalds wrote
(in article <ifkaad...@mid.individual.net>):

> If you mean that they're not all venomous, you're right. We have green
> tree snakes and pythons, which are fine. Then we have whip snakes and
> crown snakes, which are mildly venomous. Then we have small-eyed
> snakes, which are very venomous but not often nasty. And then we have
> brown snakes, which are very venomous and can be bad tempered.

And you didn´t ever think you´d become a herpetologist. Good on ya, Mate!
The only dangerous snakes I ever encountered were Great Basin rattlesnakes.
They rattle when threatened which is a good thing.

Joie McDonalds

May 7, 2021, 5:34:20 AM5/7/21
Leo wrote:

> On 2021 May 7, , Joie McDonalds wrote
> (in article <ifkaad...@mid.individual.net>):
>
> > If you mean that they're not all venomous, you're right. We have
> > green tree snakes and pythons, which are fine. Then we have whip
> > snakes and crown snakes, which are mildly venomous. Then we have
> > small-eyed snakes, which are very venomous but not often nasty. And
> > then we have brown snakes, which are very venomous and can be bad
> > tempered.
>
> And you didn´t ever think you´d become a herpetologist. Good on ya,
> Mate!

You couldn't sound more Australian.

The only dangerous snakes I ever encountered were Great Basin
> rattlesnakes. They rattle when threatened which is a good thing.

Yes, they're good sports for warning you.

dsi1

May 7, 2021, 6:32:40 AM5/7/21
The Bay of Fundy sounds like water park - such a happy name!
Mavericks was discovered by Jeff Clark in the mid-seventies. He had found a big wave spot that rivals the winter swells of Hawaii's North shore from his back yard in Half Moon Bay CA. Nobody believed that such a thing was possible so he surfed the spot for over a decade alone or with a few friends. These days, people know about Mavericks alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkwCQH6IVhM

Mike Duffy

May 7, 2021, 6:47:02 AM5/7/21
On Fri, 07 May 2021 00:37:01 -0700, Leo wrote:

> Currently, my guess would be the Bay of Fundy on a big wave day, but I´m
> not a surfer.

Well, there is the tidal bore in Moncton. Take a look at the video near
the midlle of the page. I'm not sure how that would work for surfing.

https://tidalboretimes.ca/

Leo

May 7, 2021, 7:22:54 AM5/7/21
On 2021 May 7, , dsi1 wrote
(in article<7dc26afc-8203-45a2...@googlegroups.com>):

> Mavericks was discovered by Jeff Clark in the mid-seventies. He had found a
> big wave spot that rivals the winter swells of Hawaii's North shore from his
> back yard in Half Moon Bay CA. Nobody believed that such a thing was possible
> so he surfed the spot for over a decade alone or with a few friends. These
> days, people know about Mavericks alright.

I´ve been to Half Moon Bay. I didn´t know about Mavericks until Tim Cook
named a full version of the Apple OS after it. Half Moon Bay is also famous
for pumpkins. I didn´t have to look that up.
By the way, what do Hawaiians know about surfing, anyway?<winkey>

bruce bowser

May 7, 2021, 8:58:44 AM5/7/21
A pet dog or cat can fight them off, right?.

Dave Smith

May 7, 2021, 9:34:14 AM5/7/21
I was only there once, about 30 years ago. We spent some time camping at
the national park there. When the tide is out you cannot see water.
When the tide is in the water level is about 45 feet higher. You can
watch the water level changing almost like filling or emptying a tub. It
is amazing.

Graham

May 7, 2021, 10:25:12 AM5/7/21
I've collected rock samples along the southern shoreline. You have to
know the tide tables backwards.

Dave Smith

May 7, 2021, 11:38:14 AM5/7/21
It is an amazing thing to watch at then north end. You can be down on
the edge and not see water and you can walk around and explore the
natural caves. Then you have to get out and get to higher ground
because the caves will be underwater. On the open ocean it is only about
two feet but in the Bay of Fundy is is as much as 52 feet.

dsi1

May 7, 2021, 1:41:53 PM5/7/21
I've been to Half Moon Bay too. I thought the pumpkin festival was a hoot. That's just so cornball. I've never been to the festival but I suppose that seeing a pumpkin of unreasonable size would be agreeable with me.

https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/d1/16/d1169740-db49-4327-8c44-d4bbe16c5432/wallace.jpg

Joie McDonalds

May 7, 2021, 4:23:55 PM5/7/21
A big python can eat a cat or a small dog.

bruce bowser

May 7, 2021, 5:03:49 PM5/7/21
I wonder where the biggest tide swing in the world is.

bruce bowser

May 7, 2021, 8:00:31 PM5/7/21
Here on the east coast of the US, there are plenty of water moccasins. Very deadly.

Joie McDonalds

May 7, 2021, 8:20:29 PM5/7/21
"Although deaths are rare, the bite can leave scars, and on occasion,
require amputation. Absent an anaphylactic reaction in a bitten
individual, however, the venom does not cause systemic reactions in
victims and does not contain neurotoxic components present in numerous
rattlesnake species."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agkistrodon_piscivorus>

Not that I want to start a snake-off. There's always a more lethal
snake.

Gary

May 8, 2021, 6:55:11 AM5/8/21
Bay of Fundy has big tides but not big waves

Gary

May 8, 2021, 6:56:53 AM5/8/21
The snakes that you don't see are the most dangerous ones. ;)

Water Moccasins (aka Cotton Mouth) are the main poisonous snakes here
but live mostly in or near swampy areas. They are very aggressive too.
Startle one and it will chase you for a short bit. If it bites, it will
often bite you several times if it can.

Surprisingly, the baby ones can be more deadly. They haven't learned to
deliver a small dose of venom yet and their full dose can be more than
the small amount that an adult will inject in one bite.

For this reason, I only hike in the swampy woods on very cold winter days.

Joie McDonalds

May 8, 2021, 7:15:15 AM5/8/21
Yes, the babies can be klutzes. Apparently, adult venomous snakes can
even do dry bites when they're only moderately alarmed and keep their
venom for bigger emergencies.

bruce bowser

May 8, 2021, 8:45:55 AM5/8/21
V aren't exactly seasonal. Are they?

Gary

May 11, 2021, 6:56:40 AM5/11/21
dsi1 wrote:
> I've been to Half Moon Bay too.
> I thought the pumpkin festival was a hoot.
> That's just so cornball. I've never been to the festival
> but I suppose that seeing a pumpkin of unreasonable
> size would be agreeable with me.

If you want to see large veggies, especially pumpkins and cabbages, do a
Google search for "Alaska large vegetables"

Southern Alaska has short summers but long days and they grow giant
stuff. You'll be amazed! :)

Hank Rogers

May 11, 2021, 2:36:43 PM5/11/21
Nah, New york grows bigger stuff. Just ask Popeye.

dsi1

May 11, 2021, 2:48:27 PM5/11/21
I did the search, I was amazed. Thanks.

bruce bowser

May 11, 2021, 2:54:16 PM5/11/21
Brazil has a heap of giant stuff, too: roaches, cashews, rhubarb, otters, bromeliads, earthworms, tarantulas, tortoises, etc...

Joie McDonalds

May 11, 2021, 3:28:16 PM5/11/21

The real Joie McDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 2:52:29 AM5/12/21

The real Roy MacDonalds posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Roy MacDonalds

May 12, 2021, 3:24:31 PM5/12/21

bruce bowser

May 13, 2021, 2:28:53 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 1:51:44 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 7:32:12 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:

> > > Half Moon Bay is hunting grounds for big great white sharks. Mavericks is a scary and dangerous surfing spot. So much so, that great whites are mostly a nuisance. My guess is that sharks mostly stay away from that dangerous surf. My brother-in-laws would know about the sharks. The fished for abalone in the bay. Half Moon Bay is a famous spot for shark attacks on abalone divers. The sharks aren't particularly interested in eating humans. The divers in wet suits on boards look a lot like fat seals from below. The attacks are mostly test bites. The sharks tend to move on once they realize we ain't seal.
> > Fancy. I always thought that sharks werent interested in humans (especially below the surface) unless ... someone has even the slightest open bleeding wound. Then? I suspect that all bets are off. Big time !!
> A lot depends on what foods are available in the area when you're hungry. Sometimes you just have to eat at McDonald's.

I've starting chowing down on their burgers plain. No cheese. No fixin's. I no longer get the Burger King whopper with the full works, I cut out the onion and pickle. I sure wish Burger King would mince their onions like What A Burger and their pickles like Kip's Big Boy did.

Roy MacDonalds

May 13, 2021, 3:20:02 PM5/13/21

dsi1

May 13, 2021, 5:11:54 PM5/13/21
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:28:53 AM UTC-10, bruce bowser wrote:

> I've starting chowing down on their burgers plain. No cheese. No fixin's. I no longer get the Burger King whopper with the full works, I cut out the onion and pickle. I sure wish Burger King would mince their onions like What A Burger and their pickles like Kip's Big Boy did.

I've been cooking/steaming really thin burgers on a bed of re-hydrated onions - like White Castle does. Boy it's really tasty. Someone mentioned that McDonald's burgers had a unique burger taste so I went looking for it the last time I ate there. I couldn't find it. In fact, those burgers seem to have had all the flavor sucked out of them. That's so strange. You guys can't taste umami and I can't taste McDonald's special burger flavor. :)

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:03:39 PM5/13/21

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Walter de Rochebrune

May 13, 2021, 6:03:47 PM5/13/21

bruce bowser

May 13, 2021, 10:05:45 PM5/13/21
As odd as it may seem, when we were maybe 10 or 11 years old, we probably all could.
It is loading more messages.