KUGLE recipe I promised oh so long ago...

Sylvie

Oct 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/3/95
to sylv...@aol.com
I'm sorry for the delay, but I couldn't find the disk I'd saved it on.
I don't have the addresses of those who e-mailed me, but I promise to
send this out to them individually, too, when I get back to my home
computer.

I made this last week to test it (my mom hasn't made it in years, since
my father's cholesterol/heart problems started), and it was just as
great as I remember. I put it here as she wrote it, (including telling
me to stir things with a spoon--what a mom!) but I have some
suggestions, so look at the end of the recipe.

I'd love to hear back from anyone who makes it...I'm personally
convinced it's the best kugle recipe ever invented. And it's a family
heirloom, so you should all feel honored i'm giving out this formerly
secret recipe! : )

Laoma's (my grandmother) Cheese Kugle with Graham Cracker Crumbs

Ingredients:

Kugle Topping
------ --------

4 eggs separated 4 Tbs. butter/margarine
1/2 lb. fine egg noodles 1/4 cup sugar
1 lb. creamed cottage cheese 1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
6 oz cream cheese
4 Tbs. sour cream
3/4 stick butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of salt

Directions:

(preheat oven to 325°F)

1) Cook noodles in boiling water until soft. (While noodles are boiling,
you can prepare the topping if you want--see step 6) Strain noodles (no
not rinse).

2) Add margarine to noodles and mix in thoroughly.

3) Beat together in a bowl egg yolks, sugar, cream cheese, cottage
cheese, sour cream and salt.

4) Add above mixture to noodles and mix together--with spoon!

5) Beat egg whites and fold into noodle mixture. Pour into well greased
pan.

6) Prepare topping: melt butter/margarine and combine with sugar and
graham cracker crumbs.

7) Sprinkle topping over noodle mixture.

8) Bake at approximately 325° for 1 hour or until lightly brown on top.

9) Serve warm. Ess, mumma shayne, ess!

notes: I found that you needed more than 1/3 cup of graham crackers,
but perhaps i like mine more graham cracker-y.

I have always found that this recipe, while good straight out of the
oven, tastes evan better cooled and reheated the next day. I have no
idea why, but if you can hold out from eating the whole thing
immediately, I suggest you try it both ways and see yourself.