Kewl Fries

Dwayne Conyers

Aug 31, 2002, 12:49:54 PM8/31/02
I made french fries from sweet potatoes and seasoned with cayenne and salt.
Yum!!! Use extra virgin for frying... watch the temperature to avoid
flame-ups.

--
爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻齯滌`偕中滌`偕中�虜,齯
Can you hear me now? Good!

Jill McQuown

Aug 31, 2002, 2:37:41 PM8/31/02
"Dwayne Conyers" <dwa...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> I made french fries from sweet potatoes and seasoned with cayenne and
salt.
> Yum!!! Use extra virgin for frying... watch the temperature to avoid
> flame-ups.

I've posted a recipe for sweet potato strings (skinny fries) before. Yes,
they are yum. They also make nice potato chips.

Jill

Jill McQuown

Aug 31, 2002, 2:58:23 PM8/31/02
"Dwayne Conyers" <dwa...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
Don't forget baked sweet taters... prick with a fork; rub the outside with
oil or butter and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for an hour or so at 375F
or until tender. Eat just like a regular baked spud. They are so tender
and flavourful they really don't need butter or sour cream, but I add butter
:-)

Jill

Jack Schidt

Aug 31, 2002, 3:12:32 PM8/31/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Amen! They're also good mushed up in a bowl with cream poured over them.

Jack Spud

Jill McQuown

Aug 31, 2002, 3:15:46 PM8/31/02
"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message
Now you're going off on a different tangent! Mashed Sweet Taters... YUM!
Mash with a little butter and milk (or cream) and you have a delightful
(albeit orange) mashed potato concoction!

Jill Spudlier

MH

Aug 31, 2002, 3:35:44 PM8/31/02

"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message

> Amen! They're also good mushed up in a bowl with cream poured over them.
>
> Jack Spud

Try my Sweet Potato Pudding (posted at an earlier date)....it's excellent!!!

Martha H.

Jack Schidt

Aug 31, 2002, 3:41:04 PM8/31/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

How bout ala mode, with vanilla ice cream?

Jack Spudliest

Mr. Wizard

Aug 31, 2002, 3:47:19 PM8/31/02

"Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net> wrote in message

I made the most fantastic Empanadas with baked Sweet Potatoes
and semolina flour.
If anyone wants the rec just reply.

Steve Wertz

Aug 31, 2002, 4:29:30 PM8/31/02
Dwayne Conyers wrote:

> I made french fries from sweet potatoes and seasoned with cayenne and salt.
> Yum!!! Use extra virgin for frying... watch the temperature to avoid
> flame-ups.

Ore-Ida/Heinz are giving away their Crazy Fries at the supermarket here
(with $1.00 coupon).

Cinnamon
Chocolate
Blue-something
Sour Cream and 'jive'.

Thye are soooo nasty.

-sw

Jill McQuown

Aug 31, 2002, 4:51:08 PM8/31/02
"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Martha, I didn't see that post. Sounds like a good thing to plan for
Thanksgiving, please post again or email me the recipe? Thanks.

Jill

Jessica Rosenberg

Aug 31, 2002, 5:14:36 PM8/31/02
I thought you couldn't really fry in olive oil as it can't get hot enough
without smoking? I know you can saute of course, but for deep frying I
thought it wouldn't work very well. How hot does the oil need to be to fry
sweet potatoes?

-Jessica

Christine Dabney

Aug 31, 2002, 5:23:18 PM8/31/02
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 15:51:08 -0500, "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> Try my Sweet Potato Pudding (posted at an earlier date)....it's

>excellent!!!
>> >
>> Martha H.
>>
>Martha, I didn't see that post. Sounds like a good thing to plan for
>Thanksgiving, please post again or email me the recipe? Thanks.
>
>Jill

Here is mine. This is an old family recipe, dating from who knows when. I
remember my mother and grandmother making it...

Christine

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet Potato Pudding

3 sweet potatoes -- rather large
butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
milk
lemon rind -- of one lemon
salt
1 teaspoon lemon extract

Boil potatoes until soft. Peel while still hot; mash with butter and sugar,
about a tablespoon of butter per potato. Beat eggs
slightly and add to potatoes. Add grated rind and stir. Add enough milk to make
the mixture very soupy and put in about 1-2
teaspoons lemon extract. Add salt to make very lightly flavored. Sprinkle with
nutmeg if desired. Bake at 350 degrees til done.

Cuisine:
"southern"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

MH

Aug 31, 2002, 5:55:00 PM8/31/02

"Christine Dabney" <arti...@attbi.com> wrote in message
The only difference is that I line a greased baking dish with sliced
bananas, according to MFK Fisher's recipe. She said one can also use sliced
pineapple or oranges. I also add in cinnamon and sprinkle the top with
unsweetened coconut.

It's very, very good.

Martha H.

Jack Schidt

Aug 31, 2002, 6:40:07 PM8/31/02

"MH" <bast...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Thanks for reposting, I missed that one too.

Jack Puddinhead

BOB®

Aug 31, 2002, 8:01:44 PM8/31/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "Dwayne Conyers" <dwa...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > I made french fries from sweet potatoes and seasoned with cayenne and
> salt.
> > Yum!!! Use extra virgin for frying... watch the temperature to avoid
> > flame-ups.
> >
> > --
> > ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

> > Can you hear me now? Good!
> > http://www.dwacon.com
> > ¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

> Don't forget baked sweet taters... prick with a fork; rub the outside with
> oil or butter and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for an hour or so at 375F
> or until tender. Eat just like a regular baked spud. They are so tender
> and flavourful they really don't need butter or sour cream, but I add butter
> :-)
>
> Jill

OK, next time try adding a little cinnamon along with the butter. It doesn't really need the
cinnamon either but it's sooooooooo goooood.

BOB®

BOB®

Aug 31, 2002, 8:03:45 PM8/31/02

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Snipp

> > Now you're going off on a different tangent! Mashed Sweet Taters... YUM!
> > Mash with a little butter and milk (or cream) and you have a delightful
> > (albeit orange) mashed potato concoction!
> >
> > Jill Spudlier
> >

> How bout ala mode, with vanilla ice cream?
>
> Jack Spudliest

Hmmm? Sounds like it might be worth a try.

Bob Yam

Kate

Aug 31, 2002, 9:06:34 PM8/31/02
These aren't french fried but oven baked and more like hunks of sweet potato.
I tried them at a demonstration and book signing at Fox & Obel in Chicago by a
book author, Marilyn Pocius, of "A Cook's Guide to Chicago". She makes them
with a mixture of carrots and sweet potatoes but my SO claims to *hate* carrots
(he doesn't but try convincing him of that!) so I made them only with sweet
potatoes. This book is not so much a cookbook as it is a guide to find ethnic
ingredients in and around Chicago but it has several nice recipes and ideas of
ways to use these ingredients to jazz up your cooking.

Sriracha Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Here's the recipe (paraphrased) as I did it. Preheat oven to 400F. Peel sweet
potatoes (or not - I did) and cut into 1 inch chunks. In a bowl mix 1 part
Sriracha (chili garlic sauce) and 2 parts EV olive oil. Add sweet potato
chunks and toss well. I let them sit in the marinade for about 30 minutes
before placing on a baking sheet and baking for 30 to 40 minutes. A great
sweet spicy combination.

Kate

Jim

Aug 31, 2002, 10:26:23 PM8/31/02
>"Jill McQuown"wrote:

>Don't forget baked sweet taters... prick with a fork; rub the outside with
>oil or butter and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for an hour or so at 375F
>or until tender. Eat just like a regular baked spud. They are so tender
>and flavourful they really don't need butter or sour cream, but I add butter
>:-)
>
>Jill

I like to put them in the smoker when I'm cooking meat. I cook them until
they're soft, split them and drizzle with a little garlic butter.
This also works well with butternut or acorn squash. I split them, rub w / oil
(leaving the seeds in as it seems to keep them more moist) cook them 'til soft,
scoop out the seeds and season to taste.
Wonderful stuff.
I like my sweet 'taters and squash savory instead of sweet, and the wood smoke
adds a nice touch to the flavor.
Jim

"The game's in the refrigerator, the door's closed, the light's out,
the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the Jell-O's
jigglin" - Chick Hearn ( R.I.P.)

Jill McQuown

Sep 1, 2002, 12:09:05 AM9/1/02
"Jim" <ji...@aol.comatose> wrote in message

> >"Jill McQuown"wrote:
>

> >Don't forget baked sweet taters... prick with a fork; rub the outside
with
> >oil or butter and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for an hour or so at
375F
> >or until tender. Eat just like a regular baked spud. They are so tender
> >and flavourful they really don't need butter or sour cream, but I add
butter
> >:-)
> >
> >Jill
>
> I like to put them in the smoker when I'm cooking meat. I cook them until
> they're soft, split them and drizzle with a little garlic butter.
> This also works well with butternut or acorn squash. I split them, rub w /
oil
> (leaving the seeds in as it seems to keep them more moist) cook them 'til
soft,
> scoop out the seeds and season to taste.
> Wonderful stuff.
> I like my sweet 'taters and squash savory instead of sweet, and the wood
smoke
> adds a nice touch to the flavor.
> Jim

Ah, a man after my own heart! No cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar on that
squash (or sweet taters!) for me! I'll have to try throwing them on the
grill when I do the ribs on Monday. I don't have a smoker but grilled sweet
potatoes sounds quite tasty to serve along with the ribs. So does grilled
butternut squash. I think I'll have to buy more than just ribs!

Jill

Jim

Sep 1, 2002, 8:34:17 AM9/1/02
>"Jill McQuown" wrote:

>Ah, a man after my own heart! No cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar on that
>squash (or sweet taters!) for me! I'll have to try throwing them on the
>grill when I do the ribs on Monday. I don't have a smoker but grilled sweet
>potatoes sounds quite tasty to serve along with the ribs. So does grilled
>butternut squash. I think I'll have to buy more than just ribs!
>
>Jill

Looks like my menu for Monday. Spareribs and butternuts on the smoker (along w
/ some Dragon Turds for an appetizer), a pot of beans and some slaw. And a
generous supply of cold beer. It's supposed to be over 100 degrees here on
Monday, so I'm sure the beer will dissipate rapidly.
Hmm, maybe I should invite some guests? ;-)
Not health food by any means, but good, happy food.
Have a great Labor day.

blake murphy

Sep 1, 2002, 9:02:15 AM9/1/02
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:41:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

>"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

>> Now you're going off on a different tangent! Mashed Sweet Taters... YUM!
>> Mash with a little butter and milk (or cream) and you have a delightful
>> (albeit orange) mashed potato concoction!
>>
>> Jill Spudlier
>>

>How bout ala mode, with vanilla ice cream?
>
>Jack Spudliest

dear god.

your pal,
blake

Jack Schidt

Sep 1, 2002, 10:17:37 AM9/1/02

"blake murphy" <bla...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

You laugh now, Blake, but deep in the recesses of your mind there are voices
saying "good idea". You'll be trying it one day.................no need to
thank me, just part of my usenetorial duties

Jack Bug

MareCat

Sep 1, 2002, 3:23:51 PM9/1/02
Jim wrote:

> I like to put them in the smoker when I'm cooking meat. I cook them until
> they're soft, split them and drizzle with a little garlic butter.
> This also works well with butternut or acorn squash. I split them, rub w / oil
> (leaving the seeds in as it seems to keep them more moist) cook them 'til soft,
> scoop out the seeds and season to taste.
> Wonderful stuff.
> I like my sweet 'taters and squash savory instead of sweet, and the wood smoke
> adds a nice touch to the flavor.
> Jim

Great idea! I like mine savory also. We're Qing some pork shoulders
tomorrow. I'll just put a couple of sweet taters into the smoker along
with the meat.

Mary

Jill McQuown

Sep 1, 2002, 4:35:41 PM9/1/02

> >"Jill McQuown" wrote:
>
> >Ah, a man after my own heart! No cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar on
that
> >squash (or sweet taters!) for me! I'll have to try throwing them on the
> >grill when I do the ribs on Monday. I don't have a smoker but grilled
sweet
> >potatoes sounds quite tasty to serve along with the ribs. So does
grilled
> >butternut squash. I think I'll have to buy more than just ribs!
> >
> >Jill
> >

> Looks like my menu for Monday. Spareribs and butternuts on the smoker
(along w
> / some Dragon Turds for an appetizer), a pot of beans and some slaw. And a
> generous supply of cold beer. It's supposed to be over 100 degrees here
on
> Monday, so I'm sure the beer will dissipate rapidly.

OUCH! That's hot! Luckily we haven't broken 100 this summer in the Memphis
area. In fact, its downright cool outside.

> Hmm, maybe I should invite some guests? ;-)

Only if you want all your beer to be drunk. Drinked. Drank. Uh, whatever!

> Not health food by any means, but good, happy food.
> Have a great Labor day.
> Jim

You too!

Jill

Harry Demidavicius

Sep 1, 2002, 7:52:24 PM9/1/02
On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:41:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

This is becoming more and more revolting sounding. Anyone going to
add Catsup?

Harry

Jim

Sep 1, 2002, 10:04:29 PM9/1/02
> "Jill McQuown" wrote:

>Jim" <ji...@aol.comatose> wrote

>It's supposed to be over 100 degrees here
>on
>> Monday

>OUCH! That's hot! Luckily we haven't broken 100 this summer in the Memphis

>area. In fact, its downright cool outside.

Yeah, it actually broke 110 today. At 6:30 P.M. my breezeway thermometer was
still reading 96 degrees. It's supposed to be the same tomorrow.
Much of the northern sky is covered in a huge cloud of smoke and ash, and the
stench of smoke permeates everything.
The mountains are burning again :-( .
My thoughts go out to those good men and women who are fighting these fires in
this oppressive heat.

Jack Schidt

Sep 1, 2002, 10:17:03 PM9/1/02

"Harry Demidavicius" <har...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Don't laugh, Harry, hot sweet potatoes or yams with ice cream isn't as
creepy as you think it is. Much better than with those little marshmallows.

Second point, we know who is going to add catsup/ketchup ;-P

Jack Heinz

Arri London

Sep 2, 2002, 1:31:37 PM9/2/02

Then there's always sweet potato pie, which I prefer to
pumpkin pie.

blake murphy

Sep 2, 2002, 10:49:06 PM9/2/02
On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 14:17:37 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
wrote:

>"blake murphy" <bla...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 19:41:04 GMT, "Jack Schidt" <jack....@snet.net>
>> wrote:

>YUM!

>> >How bout ala mode, with vanilla ice cream?
>> >
>> >Jack Spudliest
>> >
>> dear god.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>> >

>You laugh now, Blake, but deep in the recesses of your mind there are voices
>saying "good idea". You'll be trying it one day.................no need to
>thank me, just part of my usenetorial duties
>
>Jack Bug

jack, you're nuts. (that's the best i can do right now.)

your jealous pal,
blake