JELL-O!

jmcquown

May 28, 2022, 11:02:45 AM5/28/22
It rained yesterday so I after an appointment and a couple of errands
decided to re-organize the pantry. I found some boxes of Jell-O which I
had brought with me when I moved from Tennessee. I prepared a box of
Raspberry Jell-O last night.

This morning I've been outside trimming the boxwoods that line the
walkway to the front door. I still need to wash a few exterior windows.
It's already quite warm outside so I'm looking forward to a serving of
that nice cold jiggly Jell-O when I'm done with the outside chores. :)

Jill

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 2:32:55 PM5/28/22
I made some a couple weeks ago. It was the first Jell-O I had made in
more than a year. It was delicious. I love that stuff.

Bryan Simmons

May 28, 2022, 2:57:24 PM5/28/22

dsi1

May 28, 2022, 3:09:15 PM5/28/22
Beats the heck out of me why Kraft Foods doesn't make a vegan version of Jell-O. That would be awesome. I might even buy something like that. There's several seaweed based gels available. That stuff stays solid at room temperature. That's a good thing.

S Viemeister

May 28, 2022, 3:19:50 PM5/28/22
The last time I had Jello, I was in hospital, on a restricted diet.

jmcquown

May 28, 2022, 3:27:26 PM5/28/22
I can't say I've ever been given Jell-O in the hospital. My restricted
diet was primarily hot broth. I made this Jell-O by choice and it's
quite nice and refreshing after doing some work outside around the house. :)

Jill

Graham

May 28, 2022, 3:28:46 PM5/28/22
One of my grandmothers occasionally made a strawberry flavoured, milk
jello for Sunday tea. I don't know why she bothered because it rarely
got eaten:-)

S Viemeister

May 28, 2022, 3:35:12 PM5/28/22
Were it not for the hospital association, I might enjoy Jello, but it
just reminds me of being ill and helpless.

Sheldon Martin

May 28, 2022, 3:44:26 PM5/28/22
I like Jello, could be a big bowlful and I'll finish it all. My
favorite is lime Jello, and I use less water so it's firmer so I can
slice it into cubes and sprinkle it with granulated sugar.

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 4:11:58 PM5/28/22

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 4:16:22 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28 3:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O. It is
made with gelatin, which comes from boiling bones. It's a near perfect
food. They have their brand. Let someone else try to make a vegan
product and then struggle to make money from it.

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 4:18:36 PM5/28/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 16:16:15 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-05-28 3:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 8:32:55 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> I made some a couple weeks ago. It was the first Jell-O I had made
>>> in more than a year. It was delicious. I love that stuff.
>>
>> Beats the heck out of me why Kraft Foods doesn't make a vegan version
>> of Jell-O. That would be awesome. I might even buy something like
>> that. There's several seaweed based gels available. That stuff stays
>> solid at room temperature. That's a good thing.
>>

>It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O.

Old Pickleball isn't familiar with vegetarians and vegans, people who
don't want dead animal in their Jell-O? Tsss.

--
André Malraux
<https://cdn.britannica.com/20/109120-050-C8214147/Andre-Malraux.jpg>

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 4:18:50 PM5/28/22
You're lucky. When I was in for my gall bladder they had be on clear
fluids for three days. Every meal was broth, Jell-O and coffee or tea.
On the last day I revolted and demanded real food, and I didn't eat
Jell-O again for a couple years.

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 4:22:51 PM5/28/22
When I was a kid my parents had befriended an elderly English couple. It
was the 1950s and they were in their 80s. They had an huge garden and
grew all sorts of fruits and berries. The woman used to make jelly
flavoured with berries fresh from the garden. It was delicious.

He was an interesting old guy. He had been a sailor and had been on the
ship that laid the first transatlantic cable.

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 4:24:15 PM5/28/22
In the end, every thread is about Old Pickleball.

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 4:24:47 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28 3:44 p.m., Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2022 20:35:07 +0100, S Viemeister

>> Were it not for the hospital association, I might enjoy Jello, but it
>> just reminds me of being ill and helpless.
>
> I like Jello, could be a big bowlful and I'll finish it all. My
> favorite is lime Jello, and I use less water so it's firmer so I can
> slice it into cubes and sprinkle it with granulated sugar.

For me it is comfort food when I am sick. I like red Jell-O. It can be
any red. Lime would come after the reds, then maybe lemon.Forget about
orange and grape.

jmcquown

May 28, 2022, 4:26:39 PM5/28/22
The last time I was in the hospital (2008) I had nothing but broth and
or juice for days. No Jell-O. When they finally fed me a real meal it
was browned ground beef, loose (not hambburger form) on a soft hamburger
bun. I was so hungry by day five it was the best tasting sandwich I'd
ever had!

Jill

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 4:28:17 PM5/28/22
Ok:

1. Red
2. Lime
3. Lemon (maybe)
99 Orange
100. Grape

But what about blood orange?

Ed Pawlowski

May 28, 2022, 4:28:23 PM5/28/22

jmcquown

May 28, 2022, 4:28:41 PM5/28/22
On 5/28/2022 4:16 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-05-28 3:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 8:32:55 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>>> I made some a couple weeks ago. It was the first Jell-O I had made
>>> in more than a year. It was delicious. I love that stuff.
>>
>> Beats the heck out of me why Kraft Foods doesn't make a vegan version
>> of Jell-O. That would be awesome. I might even buy something like
>> that. There's several seaweed based gels available. That stuff stays
>> solid at room temperature. That's a good thing.
>>

> It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O.

Ditto. It would likely suck just like other vegan products do.

Jill

Cindy Hamilton

May 28, 2022, 4:33:22 PM5/28/22
Vegan jello already exists:

<https://www.google.com/search?q=vegan+jello>

--
Cindy Hamilton

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 4:36:42 PM5/28/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 16:28:31 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Thus spoke Jill McBitchy, expert on vegan food.

dsi1

May 28, 2022, 5:02:47 PM5/28/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O. It is
> made with gelatin, which comes from boiling bones. It's a near perfect
> food. They have their brand. Let someone else try to make a vegan
> product and then struggle to make money from it.

Believe it or not, vegans are humans too. Well, at the very least, semi-humans and as semi-humanoid creatures, they deserve being a target of large food companies intent on grabbing some of that vegan money. Some vegans are against stuff like milk, eggs, and honey but I'm pretty sure that every single vegan aren't going to go along with skin, bone, and hoofs, being boiled for hours and made into a delightfully jolly desert. I'll eat Jell-O myself but there's no way that I want to contemplate the disgusting reality of what Jell-O really is.

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 5:06:09 PM5/28/22
But not Kraft.

dsi1

May 28, 2022, 5:11:04 PM5/28/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:33:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Vegan jello already exists:
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=vegan+jello>
>
> --
> Cindy Hamilton

You mean that fruit flavored gel desert mixes exist. Jell-O branded gel deserts made by Kraft foods does not. I am aware that alternate vegetable gel deserts/treats/candy exists because I grew up eating them.

https://www.chopstickchronicles.com/fruit-kanten-jelly/

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 28, 2022, 5:15:58 PM5/28/22
I don't make it often, but I LOVE Jell-O!

At a department picnic 40+ years ago a co-workers mother made a Jell-O
mold of strawberry(?) and cottage cheese(?). It sounds revolting and I'm
sure it had other ingredients, but it was delicious to me.

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 5:21:02 PM5/28/22
My mother used to make that sort of thing. I always liked it.

Leonard Blaisdell

May 28, 2022, 5:21:15 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
> It rained yesterday so I after an appointment and a couple of errands
> decided to re-organize the pantry. I found some boxes of Jell-O which I
> had brought with me when I moved from Tennessee. I prepared a box of
> Raspberry Jell-O last night.
>
> This morning I've been outside trimming the boxwoods that line the
> walkway to the front door. I still need to wash a few exterior windows.
> It's already quite warm outside so I'm looking forward to a serving of
> that nice cold jiggly Jell-O when I'm done with the outside chores. :)

The power of suggestion. You made me whip up an orange jello with Dole
tangerine sections right now. I had to short the cold water because of
the tangerines, to fit in the covered serving dish that I use.
That's a couple minutes of sweat and tears that I'll never get back ;)

leo

Cindy Hamilton

May 28, 2022, 5:22:46 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:02:45 AM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> It rained yesterday so I after an appointment and a couple of errands
>> decided to re-organize the pantry. I found some boxes of Jell-O which I
>> had brought with me when I moved from Tennessee. I prepared a box of
>> Raspberry Jell-O last night.
>>
>> This morning I've been outside trimming the boxwoods that line the
>> walkway to the front door. I still need to wash a few exterior windows.
>> It's already quite warm outside so I'm looking forward to a serving of
>> that nice cold jiggly Jell-O when I'm done with the outside chores. :)
>>
>> Jill
>>
> I don't make it often, but I LOVE Jell-O!

I just can't take the artificial taste. And I'm not so fond of the
texture as to make it with real fruit juice.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

May 28, 2022, 5:25:12 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O. It is
>> made with gelatin, which comes from boiling bones. It's a near perfect
>> food. They have their brand. Let someone else try to make a vegan
>> product and then struggle to make money from it.
>
> Some vegans are against stuff like milk, eggs, and honey

All vegans are against milk, eggs, and honey.

Most vegetarians will eat milk, eggs, and honey.

--
Cindy Hamilton

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 28, 2022, 5:27:22 PM5/28/22
Did it also have pecans in it, or am I just imagining that??

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 5:28:00 PM5/28/22
With the growing number of vegetarians and vegans, it's only a matter
of time.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 28, 2022, 5:28:12 PM5/28/22
> Cindy Hamilton

More for me!!!

Cindy Hamilton

May 28, 2022, 5:29:32 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:33:22 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Vegan jello already exists:
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/search?q=vegan+jello>
>>
>> --
>> Cindy Hamilton
>
> You mean that fruit flavored gel desert mixes exist. Jell-O branded gel
> deserts made by Kraft foods does not.

Jell-O brand gelatin dessert mix isn't the only mass-market brand:

<https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Gelatin-Variety-Pack-Each/dp/B08FPNFPD3>

--
Cindy Hamilton

André Malraux

May 28, 2022, 5:29:49 PM5/28/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 21:25:06 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@devnull.com> wrote:

>On 2022-05-28, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:16:22 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O. It is
>>> made with gelatin, which comes from boiling bones. It's a near perfect
>>> food. They have their brand. Let someone else try to make a vegan
>>> product and then struggle to make money from it.
>>
>> Some vegans are against stuff like milk, eggs, and honey
>
>All vegans are against milk, eggs, and honey.
.
Yes, no animal products is pretty much the definition of "vegan".
.
>Most vegetarians will eat milk, eggs, and honey.

Yes.

Graham

May 28, 2022, 5:54:37 PM5/28/22

GM

May 28, 2022, 6:07:11 PM5/28/22
That sorta stuff was a mainstay for church and card club potlucks back in the
day, I loved it all...

--
GM

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:32:58 PM5/28/22
Graham wrote:
> On 2022-05-28 1:19 p.m., S Viemeister wrote:

>>> I made some a couple weeks ago. It was the first Jell-O I had
>>> made in more than a year.  It was delicious. I love that stuff.
>>
>> The last time I had Jello, I was in hospital, on a restricted diet.
>
> One of my grandmothers occasionally made a strawberry flavoured,
> milk jello for Sunday tea. I don't know why she bothered because it
> rarely got eaten:-)

Her presentation was simply not appealing.

If you had been older, and made her a nice wooden bowl to present
her plain boring jello, folks would have eaten it.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:39:00 PM5/28/22
By God, I bet that was our own Popeye!

Did he have an old mexican woman with him? Was he constantly
smoking a corncob pipe? Did he constantly talk about the navy and
fucking his aunt and other wimmens?

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:43:27 PM5/28/22
Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2022 20:35:07 +0100, S Viemeister
> <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>>> I can't say I've ever been given Jell-O in the hospital.  My restricted
>>> diet was primarily hot broth.  I made this Jell-O by choice and it's
>>> quite nice and refreshing after doing some work outside around the
>>> house. :)
>>>
>> Were it not for the hospital association, I might enjoy Jello, but it
>> just reminds me of being ill and helpless.
>
> I like Jello, could be a big bowlful and I'll finish it all. My
> favorite is lime Jello, and I use less water so it's firmer so I can
> slice it into cubes and sprinkle it with granulated sugar.

Popeye, have you ever found a proper mold to pour yoose jello into?
I mean a titty mold. With long thick nipples?

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:49:02 PM5/28/22
Hell, man You've been sick and frail all your life. Some is
probably real, but lots are psychosomatic. That's the worst kind.

There's no cure for that. Even jello won't fix that shit.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:50:02 PM5/28/22
Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-05-28 3:09 p.m., dsi1 wrote:

>>> I made some a couple weeks ago. It was the first Jell-O I had
>>> made in
>>> more than a year. It was delicious. I love that stuff.
>>
>> Beats the heck out of me why Kraft Foods doesn't make a vegan
>> version of Jell-O. That would be awesome. I might even buy
>> something like that. There's several seaweed based gels
>> available. That stuff stays solid at room temperature. That's a
>> good thing.

Hello dave ... are you there?

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 6:57:50 PM5/28/22
> It beats the heck out of me why anyone would want vegan Jell-O. It
> is made with gelatin, which comes from boiling bones. It's a near
> perfect food. They have their brand. Let someone else try to make a
> vegan product and then struggle to make money from it.

Uncle Tojo was just whining about vegetarian bullshit. Settle down.
Don't blow a fuse. Remember your heart. And don't let master druce
get you worked up when he arrives later. You are too young to die
of a shit hemorrhage.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 7:14:27 PM5/28/22
Settle down uncle Tojo. You'll still be allowed to operate your
hearing aide scam kiosk at the chiropractors office, there on the rock.

Your master will probably be along soon to soothe yoose ruffled
feathers. And he may sniff your ass.

GM

May 28, 2022, 7:19:53 PM5/28/22
Last night and earlier today there were NO new posts here...

I was wondering if Miss Bwuthie might croak, seeing as she had naught to sniff...

--
GM

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 7:23:13 PM5/28/22
Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-05-28 3:27 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> The last time I had Jello, I was in hospital, on a restricted diet.
>>
>> I can't say I've ever been given Jell-O in the hospital.  My
>> restricted diet was primarily hot broth.  I made this Jell-O by
>> choice and it's quite nice and refreshing after doing some work
>> outside around the house. :)
>>

> You're lucky. When I was in for my gall bladder they had be on
> clear fluids for three days. Every meal was broth, Jell-O and
> coffee or tea. On the last day I revolted and demanded real food,
> and I didn't eat Jell-O again for a couple years.

Oh dear! You are so forceful officer dave!

Canadian Police officers are like that. They HATE jello.

I am betting you are retired RCMP, right?

Of course, these days, most of you guys can't ride a damn horse
anymore. It's pickleball now.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 7:25:38 PM5/28/22
jmcquown wrote:
> The last time I was in the hospital (2008) I had nothing but broth
> and or juice for days.  No Jell-O.  When they finally fed me a real
> meal it was browned ground beef, loose (not hambburger form) on a
> soft hamburger bun.  I was so hungry by day five it was the best
> tasting sandwich I'd ever had!
>
> Jill

I bet your shit stunk to high heaven.

But you lived to whine about it.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 7:31:17 PM5/28/22
That don't sound too bad actually. Did it have some type of fruit
in with the cottage cheese? Maybe pears would go well.

Bryan Simmons

May 28, 2022, 8:04:51 PM5/28/22
There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with small j
"jello." One could use plain gelatin and fruit juice to
make a wobbly substance that tastes good. Lime
performs well, either sweetened with real sugar or
sucralose.

--Bryan

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 9:43:44 PM5/28/22
Yeah. Most of the really big ladies I've known wouldn't eat jello
to save your life.

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 9:54:35 PM5/28/22
Not to worry. Sooner or later someone on the australian continent
will fart. The fumes will eventually waft over the master, thus
reviving it.

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 10:50:49 PM5/28/22
On 5/28/2022 17:15, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:02:45 AM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> It rained yesterday so I after an appointment and a couple of errands
>> decided to re-organize the pantry. I found some boxes of Jell-O which I
>> had brought with me when I moved from Tennessee. I prepared a box of
>> Raspberry Jell-O last night.
>>
>> This morning I've been outside trimming the boxwoods that line the
>> walkway to the front door. I still need to wash a few exterior windows.
>> It's already quite warm outside so I'm looking forward to a serving of
>> that nice cold jiggly Jell-O when I'm done with the outside chores. :)
>>
>> Jill

It's been a few years since I made Jell-o, but it was some red variety,
and I mixed in a can of mixed cocktail fruit. I guess that was
"vintage" of me, but I think it made a nice addition. I remember my
paternal grandmother doing that occasionally.

I like the Jell-O brand cook 'n serve butterscotch pudding. Forget the
"instant" kind, ick.

> I don't make it often, but I LOVE Jell-O!
>
> At a department picnic 40+ years ago a co-workers mother made a Jell-O
> mold of strawberry(?) and cottage cheese(?). It sounds revolting and I'm
> sure it had other ingredients, but it was delicious to me.

Cottage cheese and fruit go very well together. I buy the large
containers of large curd cottage cheese and mix in a couple spoons of
fruit preserve into a bowl-full. Makes a good breakfast.

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 10:53:15 PM5/28/22
On 5/28/2022 20:04, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with small j
> "jello." One could use plain gelatin and fruit juice to
> make a wobbly substance that tastes good. Lime
> performs well, either sweetened with real sugar or
> sucralose.
>
> --Bryan

Do you not like the Jell-O brand boxes, for some reason? I can't
remember the last time I had lime Jell-O, but now that Sheldon mentioned
it, I think I'll pick up a box next time. Yum!

Dave Smith

May 28, 2022, 11:12:06 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28 10:50 p.m., Michael Trew wrote:
> On 5/28/2022 17:15, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:02:45 AM UTC-5, j_mc...@comcast.net
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> It rained yesterday so I after an appointment and a couple of errands
>>> decided to re-organize the pantry. I found some boxes of Jell-O which I
>>> had brought with me when I moved from Tennessee. I prepared a box of
>>> Raspberry Jell-O last night.
>>>
>>> This morning I've been outside trimming the boxwoods that line the
>>> walkway to the front door. I still need to wash a few exterior windows.
>>> It's already quite warm outside so I'm looking forward to a serving of
>>> that nice cold jiggly Jell-O when I'm done with the outside chores. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>
> It's been a few years since I made Jell-o, but it was some red variety,
> and I mixed in a can of mixed cocktail fruit.  I guess that was
> "vintage" of me, but I think it made a nice addition.  I remember my
> paternal grandmother doing that occasionally.

I used to love fruit salad in Jell-O.

> I like the Jell-O brand cook 'n serve butterscotch pudding.  Forget the
> "instant" kind, ick.

If you like butterscotch pudding why not just make it from scratch,
Combine brown sugar and corn starch, add some milk and and beat in an
egg, heat it up and keep stirring until it thickens. It is a lot better
and a lot cheaper than the pudding mix.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

May 28, 2022, 11:49:05 PM5/28/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 6:31:17 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > At a department picnic 40+ years ago a co-workers mother made a Jell-O
> > mold of strawberry(?) and cottage cheese(?). It sounds revolting and I'm
> > sure it had other ingredients, but it was delicious to me.
> >
> That don't sound too bad actually. Did it have some type of fruit
> in with the cottage cheese? Maybe pears would go well.

I honestly don't remember, but I thought it was great.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 8:33:38 AM5/29/22
LOL! Actually, the brand I prepared was Royal. I didn't figure anyone
would recognize the brand so I called it Jell-O.

Jill

Bryan Simmons

May 29, 2022, 9:01:46 AM5/29/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:12:06 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-05-28 10:50 p.m., Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 5/28/2022 17:15, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> > It's been a few years since I made Jell-o, but it was some red variety,
> > and I mixed in a can of mixed cocktail fruit. I guess that was
> > "vintage" of me, but I think it made a nice addition. I remember my
> > paternal grandmother doing that occasionally.
> I used to love fruit salad in Jell-O.
> >
> > I like the Jell-O brand cook 'n serve butterscotch pudding. Forget the
> > "instant" kind, ick.

Yeah, that a *bit* less white trash than the instant.

> If you like butterscotch pudding why not just make it from scratch,
> Combine brown sugar and corn starch, add some milk and and beat in an
> egg, heat it up and keep stirring until it thickens. It is a lot better
> and a lot cheaper than the pudding mix.

If you want butterscotch, you cave to caramelize the brown sugar.
Otherwise it's just brown sugar pudding. Still better than that
boxed crap the hoi polloi here shovel into their maws.

--Bryan

Michael Trew

May 29, 2022, 11:28:30 AM5/29/22
I tried to make it from scratch once. It was good, I followed a recipe
posted in our paper, shared from a chef the Washington Post. It was too
involved to justify making regularly, but I might try a more simple
recipe again some time.

Dave Smith

May 29, 2022, 12:00:16 PM5/29/22
This one is very easy to make. It doesn't bother with cooking the sugar
first and it is delicious.

It is an example of the reasons for my pet peeve about pudding mixes.
You have to add the egg, milk and butter to the mix, so you are paying a
significant price for a few cents worth of kitchen staples.

Chocolate pudding may be a different matter if you use a recipe that
calls for chocolate chips or bakers chocolate, but using cocoa powder is
not very expensive.

My wife made a variation of this one by substituting white sugar for
brown and then grating lime zest on top and sprinkling it with finely
chopped candied ginger.

Butterscotch Pudding

2/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 Tblsp. Corn starch
pinch of salt
2 cups milk
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Tbslp. Butter
½ cup whipping cream (optional)

In a medium sauce pan, whisk brown sugar with corn starch and salt until
evenly mixed. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the milk until smooth. In a large
measuring cup, whisk remaining milk with the egg until well blended and
then whisk it into the mixture in the pan.

Set the pan over medium heat and stir continuously until mixture boils.
Reduce heat to low and continue to stir and simmer one minute. Removed
from heat and stir in vanilla and butter. Strain if necessary to remove
lumps.

André Malraux

May 29, 2022, 3:31:35 PM5/29/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 06:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Simmons
<bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>If you want butterscotch, you cave to caramelize the brown sugar.
>Otherwise it's just brown sugar pudding. Still better than that
>boxed crap the hoi polloi here shovel into their maws.

Lol, that beats my sheeple and pie hole.

Bryan Simmons

May 29, 2022, 3:47:09 PM5/29/22
On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 11:00:16 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2022-05-29 11:28 a.m., Michael Trew wrote:
> > On 5/29/2022 9:01, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> >>

> > I tried to make it from scratch once. It was good, I followed a recipe
> > posted in our paper, shared from a chef the Washington Post. It was too
> > involved to justify making regularly, but I might try a more simple
> > recipe again some time.
> This one is very easy to make. It doesn't bother with cooking the sugar
> first and it is delicious.

Lazy.
If you don't caramelize the sugar, it's not butterscotch.

--Bryan

dsi1

Jun 8, 2022, 3:47:20 PM6/8/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 10:24:15 AM UTC-10, André Malraux wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2022 16:18:44 -0400, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> >> I can't say I've ever been given Jell-O in the hospital. My restricted
> >> diet was primarily hot broth. I made this Jell-O by choice and it's
> >> quite nice and refreshing after doing some work outside around the
> >> house. :)
> >>

> >You're lucky. When I was in for my gall bladder they had be on clear
> >fluids for three days. Every meal was broth, Jell-O and coffee or tea.
> >On the last day I revolted and demanded real food, and I didn't eat
> >Jell-O again for a couple years.
> >
> In the end, every thread is about Old Pickleball.
Don't hassle pickleball folks! It's one of the fastest growing sport in the US. In the end, they'll get the last laugh. OTOH, calling a sport "pickleball" is a sure fire way to be ridiculed.
Here's some "jell-O" made with carrageenan. It's pandan coconut flavored gel that remains firm at room temperature. I poured some raspberry kefir on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4d5rhjjyjssgAgHu8