Re: What Happened to Canned Hams?

1676 views
Skip to first unread message
Message has been deleted

Brooklyn1

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 5:31:49 PM10/23/12
to
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:30:55 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams. There
>used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
>square cans. Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
>resemble SPAM. The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
>WORSE than SPAM - not even Sheldon's cats would eat it.
>
>Do they still sell these around the US or has Cry-O-Vac and the like
>pretty much made them extinct? Shelf life was 6-9 months, which is
>still longer than cryovac, but the cost of canning may not have been
>worth the extra 4-6 months.

My little market in town has 3 lb Hormel hams all the time, at holiday
time they carry 5 pounders... you can always go to Wally's.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hormel-black-label-canned-ham-5-lbs/164316.ip
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-Black-Label-Ham-3-lb/10290954

Julie Bove

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 5:34:12 PM10/23/12
to

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
news:1i58farl...@sqwertz.com...
> Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams. There
> used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
> square cans. Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
> resemble SPAM. The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
> WORSE than SPAM - not even Sheldon's cats would eat it.
>
> Do they still sell these around the US or has Cry-O-Vac and the like
> pretty much made them extinct? Shelf life was 6-9 months, which is
> still longer than cryovac, but the cost of canning may not have been
> worth the extra 4-6 months.
>
> -sw

Winco sells them. Don't know the brand.


Christopher Helms

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 6:01:32 PM10/23/12
to
On Oct 23, 3:30 pm, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams.  There
> used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
> square cans.  Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
> resemble SPAM.  The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
> WORSE than SPAM - not even Sheldon's cats would eat it.
>
> Do they still sell these around the US or has Cry-O-Vac and the like
> pretty much made them extinct?  Shelf life was 6-9 months, which is
> still longer than cryovac, but the cost of canning may not have been
> worth the extra 4-6 months.
>
> -sw


Back in the day, there were half a dozen different brands of canned
ham, available all the time. Last time I was in the store there was
one brand. Canned hams seem to be going to way of lamb cuts in the
meat case. They're still there, but not like they used to be.

Brooklyn1

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 6:01:30 PM10/23/12
to
Most every stupidmarket sells Hormel canned hams:
http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Hormel-Black-Label/Canned-Ham/5-lb/037600309967/

Brooklyn1

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 6:21:21 PM10/23/12
to
Nonsense, Hormel sells canned hams by the millions... there are
several other brands as well.

gloria p

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 10:41:17 PM10/23/12
to
On 10/23/2012 3:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:30:55 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
>> Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams. There
>> used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
>> square cans. Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
>> resemble SPAM. The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
>> WORSE than SPAM -


There used to be two primary brands of canned ham from Poland, Krakus
and Atalanta, (yes, that's spelled correctly) and they were very, very
good. I haven't seen them in many years. I don't know where DAK comes
from now, but it used to be from Denmark and was not nearly as good as
the others.

gloria p

z z

unread,
Oct 23, 2012, 11:03:06 PM10/23/12
to
Nostalgia-Dad would come home from work the last day before the holiday
with the gift box from his employer. It always had a large canned ham,
plus fruits and candies and nuts in it. It would smell of the fresh cold
outdoors and always signified the start of the holiday for us kids.
Quite a shock to grow up and work in today's workplace lol

spamtrap1888

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 12:56:48 AM10/24/12
to
Brokelyn's answer holds good: ShopRite.

http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Krakus/Polish-Ham/5-lb/076261000516/
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

jmcquown

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 7:47:12 AM10/24/12
to
"z z" wrote in message
news:3004-508...@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net...
************
Perhaps "today" people aren't living high on the hog (heh) and employers
can't afford to give away ham :) A company I worked for in the mid 1980's
gave everyone a spiral sliced ham (not canned ham) or a turkey just before
the holidays. Yes, it's nostalgic.

Jill

George

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 8:49:53 AM10/24/12
to
On 10/24/2012 1:32 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:56:48 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888 wrote:
>
>> Brokelyn's answer holds good: ShopRite.
>>
>> http://www.shoprite.com/pd/Krakus/Polish-Ham/5-lb/076261000516/
>
> I have never seen this brand. Looks like it mainly an Eastern thing:
>
> http://krakusfoods.com/pages/stores
>
> And even then the coverage seems to be mostly limited to their
> cryrovac deli ham - slice to order. Comes in 7lb chubs rather than
> 5lb cans.
>
> -sw
>

A number of places around here stock Krakus real canned ham such as this:

http://www.ckffoods.com/k2.html

George

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 8:55:10 AM10/24/12
to
Walmart proved that all most people care about is really cheap stuff no
matter what. That thinking ripples through the economy.

I remember the first really responsible job I had. I could negotiate
with others but the owners business philosophy was "the other guy has to
eat too". In other words don't be what walmart is today beating their
suppliers into submission and often making them go offshore.

Brooklyn1

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 12:18:33 PM10/24/12
to
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:03:51 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
I didn't write that. Obviously the dwarf masturbated with my post, I
never mentioned DAK or Krakus. My post contained Hormel Black Label
and Armour Star hams, and I gave links.

>DAK used to have very good refrigerated Danish deli ham back in the
>80's - sold in plastic in 1-lb packages. Haven't seen it for decades.
>
>And then Dubuque(sp) had really good refrigerated canned hams, but it
>looks like Whoremel, and finally Smithfield hammered the last nails
>into their coffin.
>
>I couldn't remember the name of the company when I first posted it,
>but that the ham I remember from the 80's and 90's: Dubuque.
>
>I don't think Denmark would bother exporting that canned DAK shit all
>the way from Denmark. That can I used a couple months ago was horrid
>stuff. It was more like ground ham and resembled dog food. Which
>describes SPAM, I know - but this stuff tasted bad, too. Looks like
>Plumrose makes the DAK canned ham.
>
>Speaking of canned meat, I was surprised that Whoremel (Hormel) Canned
>Corned Beef was quite edible. I made a couple Reubens with it. Nice
>texture and not overly salty. 3 rungs up from SPAM on the canned meat
>ladder.
>
>-sw

spamtrap1888

unread,
Oct 24, 2012, 1:47:24 PM10/24/12
to
On Oct 24, 9:18 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 00:03:51 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:41:17 -0600, gloria p wrote:
>
> >> On 10/23/2012 3:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >>> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 15:30:55 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
> >>> wrote:
>
> >>>> Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams.  There
> >>>> used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
> >>>> square cans.  Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
> >>>> resemble SPAM.  The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
> >>>> WORSE than SPAM -
>
> >> There used to be two primary brands of canned ham from Poland, Krakus
> >> and Atalanta, (yes, that's spelled correctly) and they were very, very
> >> good.  I haven't seen them in many years.  I don't know where DAK comes
> >> from now, but it used to be from Denmark and was not nearly as good as
> >> the others.
>
> I didn't write that.  Obviously the dwarf masturbated with my post, I
> never mentioned DAK or Krakus.   My post contained Hormel Black Label
> and Armour Star hams, and I gave links.
>
>

No more Armour Star hams, though Pinnacle makes other Armour brand
canned meat products.

T

unread,
Oct 26, 2012, 12:21:25 AM10/26/12
to
In article <42eee1e8-994b-427b-9b27-f25964c29974
@a4g2000pbo.googlegroups.com>, spamtr...@gmail.com says...
Hehehehehe - ShopRite is also PriceRite here in RI.

And PriceRite's are usually pretty horrid stores except for the one near
me. They got what used to be a Shaw's store - so they expanded the
selection of produce, have a small bake shop, and it's cleaner and
better lit than most of the other stores.


Message has been deleted

Brooklyn1

unread,
Oct 26, 2012, 12:17:07 PM10/26/12
to
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 00:21:25 -0400, T <kd1s....@cox.nospam.net>
wrote:
Even though those hams are canned be careful where you purchase them,
they need constant refrigeration and some stores are very lax in that
regard. I would strongly recommend buying canned hams and all
refrigerated foods at Walmart, they have the best refrigeration.

Jim Elbrecht

unread,
Oct 26, 2012, 9:43:27 PM10/26/12
to
T <kd1s....@cox.nospam.net> wrote:


-snip-
>
>Hehehehehe - ShopRite is also PriceRite here in RI.
>
>And PriceRite's are usually pretty horrid stores except for the one near
>me. They got what used to be a Shaw's store - so they expanded the
>selection of produce, have a small bake shop, and it's cleaner and
>better lit than most of the other stores.
>

I have one of each near me.

PriceRite- No frills [no bags-no checks-no 'loyalty cards'] Great
sales on things like bags of chicken, cheap beef, carrots, potatoes,
plantains. . . found about 8 miles from me in a decidedly 'low
rent' area-- Caters to Hispanics and has the best prices on beans,
coconut milk, rice and some PriceRite brand stuff. Not a lot of
selection- but all the essentials. Their produce is usually pretty
good- don't go there on the first 10 days of the month.
The staff is some of the most helpful friendly folks I've seen in any
store.

ShopRite- I go past one on the way to PriceRite. It has been open for
a year. They bought a failing mall in an upscale 'burb and created a
'super' store. It even has special parking with free electricity
for your electric car. I've been in it twice. They are the
epitome of what's wrong with grocery stores today, IMO. 25
different kinds of canned peas- aisles too narrow to pass 3 carts.
Super sales if you use their loyalty card-- but expensive if you
don't. Most of the sales are on already overpriced meats and
prepared foods.

They hired much of their floor staff straight off the unemployment
line [and made a big deal of how they were helping the community]- and
it had predictable results. There were few ''shining stars' in that
first batch-- and they have replaced most of them with a new batch. I
don't know where from, or how the new kids worked out.

For my money- I'll take the no-frills PriceRite over our ShopRite--
but ShopRite seems to keep their parking lot filled-- so more power to
'em.

Jim

Jean B.

unread,
Oct 27, 2012, 11:36:35 PM10/27/12
to
Sqwertz wrote:
> I have never seen this brand. Looks like it mainly an Eastern thing:
>
> http://krakusfoods.com/pages/stores
>
> And even then the coverage seems to be mostly limited to their
> cryrovac deli ham - slice to order. Comes in 7lb chubs rather than
> 5lb cans.
>
> -sw

That's what my mom used to get. I am not that into ham, so I
can't give an unbiased opinion of it. Even if I could, it has
probably changed over the years.

steve...@gmail.com

unread,
Apr 8, 2017, 10:18:45 PM4/8/17
to
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 5:31:49 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>
> >Not the shelf-stable hams, but the canned, refrigerated hams. There
> >used to be a couple good brands around - usually in 4-5lb teardrop or
> >square cans. Now all I see are the canned shelf-stable hams that
> >resemble SPAM. The last one I inherited, DAK "Premium" brand, was
> >WORSE than SPAM - not even Sheldon's cats would eat it.
> >
> >Do they still sell these around the US or has Cry-O-Vac and the like
> >pretty much made them extinct? Shelf life was 6-9 months, which is
> >still longer than cryovac, but the cost of canning may not have been
> >worth the extra 4-6 months.
Aren't there any Polish markets in such a cosmopolitan borough as Brooklyn? I grew up in a small quaint town north of Boston, but even so, it had enough Americans of Polish extraction so they had several Mom and Pop grocery stores which sold canned Polish hams in those teardrop shaped 5-lb. cans. (There may have other sizes; I honestly don't remember). Yes, they're supposed to be kept refrigerated. I remember my parents buying either Krakus, in a blue can, or Atalanta, in a red can, both excellent. Danish ham nowadays is nasty and fatty--something to consider for people whose stomachs rebel at super fatty meats. Not all Polish hams are necessarily this way, but those two brands are roughly 67% leaner than those fatty Danish or other canned hams. All you get is clear, lean meat, which loses nothing in taste for being less fatty. And unlike those country hams which like to kill you with salt, those will not do that either.
>
> My little market in town has 3 lb Hormel hams all the time, at holiday
> time they carry 5 pounders... you can always go to Wally's.
>
> http://www.samsclub.com/sams/hormel-black-label-canned-ham-5-lbs/164316.ip
> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hormel-Black-Label-Ham-3-lb/10290954



Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages