Once in a generation

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 19, 2024, 5:09:02 PMFeb 19

My wife got a craving for salmon patties for some reason. I bought a can
of Bumblebee pink salmon for the event. She said she would do the
cooking.
Then she called her sister to see how to make them. I yelled, "Same as a
meatloaf!", but she ignored me. Nevertheless, I decided to make the
patties. When I did, she said she doesn't like the skin so I picked off
the majority, made the patties and asked what she wanted as a side.
She said "fried potatoes and onions". What? We haven't had that side
since we last camped in the Nineties!
I sliced the potatoes and onions and remembered what a pain-in-the-ass
is is to brown the potatoes in a black iron pan and make sure they're
done. When I put in the patties, she said there wasn't enough oil.
I let her take over the whole shebang, and here's the result. I don't
think I've ever had this combination before. The green beans are canned.
Even with the confusion I experienced, this turned out better than expected.

<https://postimg.cc/w7HYvVFY>

leo

jmcquown

Feb 19, 2024, 6:19:50 PMFeb 19
The salmon patties look good but the preparation is not really the same
as making meatloaf.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2024, 6:41:48 PMFeb 19
Well, Leo y'all did very well in your co-dinner preparations!  😋

I'm pretty sure there's a few dozen ways to make salmon patties but mine are
mixed with an egg, corn meal, and several healthy shakes of lemon pepper.
Some use crushed saltines, some mix in flour, some add finely minced onion,
it all depends on how you like salmon patties.

By the way, Chicken of the Sea puts out small cans of boneless and skinless
pink salmon for future reference. The cans are the size of a tuna can.

Ed P

Feb 19, 2024, 7:09:20 PMFeb 19
On 2/19/2024 5:08 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
Looks good. We used to make fried potatoes like that every few weeks.
Been a while, I should do it again.

S Viemeister

Feb 19, 2024, 7:10:46 PMFeb 19
On 19/02/2024 23:41, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:

> I'm pretty sure there's a few dozen ways to make salmon patties but mine are
> mixed with an egg, corn meal, and several healthy shakes of lemon pepper.
> Some use crushed saltines, some mix in flour, some add finely minced onion,
> it all depends on how you like salmon patties.

I use shredded potatoes in mine, eggs, onion, parsley, and lemon pepper.

> By the way, Chicken of the Sea puts out small cans of boneless and skinless
> pink salmon for future reference. The cans are the size of a tuna can.

Good to know.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Feb 19, 2024, 10:05:05 PMFeb 19
On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 6:10:46 PM UTC-6, S Viemeister wrote:

> On 19/02/2024 23:41, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure there's a few dozen ways to make salmon patties but mine are
> > mixed with an egg, corn meal, and several healthy shakes of lemon pepper.
> > Some use crushed saltines, some mix in flour, some add finely minced onion,
> > it all depends on how you like salmon patties.
> >
> I use shredded potatoes in mine, eggs, onion, parsley, and lemon pepper.

Ooooh, that sounds good!

> > By the way, Chicken of the Sea puts out small cans of boneless and skinless
> > pink salmon for future reference. The cans are the size of a tuna can.
> >
> Good to know.

Even tuna makes quite tasty 'salmon' patties.

dsi1

Feb 20, 2024, 12:52:28 AMFeb 20
I've made fish cakes from raw tuna but never salmon patties. I might have made them when I was a kid when I was learning to cook from cook books. It's one of the great classic American dishes! I suppose you could make salmon patties from raw salmon but people don't seem to do that. I will try to cook up some canned salmon patties. I think my wife will like them - but I probably won't.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vj9Z8cypnfMT3tRy6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JtVnVN5G4B1eNFmC6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qXz81wcj7xT2NmeG6

cshenk

Feb 20, 2024, 3:21:43 PMFeb 20
Definately not the same!

I don't make them as unaccountably Don has decided salmon is not a fish
he likes. Go figure?

cshenk

Feb 20, 2024, 3:24:21 PMFeb 20
S Viemeister wrote:

> On 19/02/2024 23:41, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>
> > I'm pretty sure there's a few dozen ways to make salmon patties but
> > mine are mixed with an egg, corn meal, and several healthy shakes
> > of lemon pepper. Some use crushed saltines, some mix in flour,
> > some add finely minced onion, it all depends on how you like salmon
> > patties.
> >
> I use shredded potatoes in mine, eggs, onion, parsley, and lemon
> pepper.

I like that idea as a variation.

cshenk

Feb 20, 2024, 3:27:50 PMFeb 20
Nice Yu Choy in the second picture.

jmcquown

Feb 20, 2024, 6:50:23 PMFeb 20
I've never been a fan of canned tuna. Even my cats turned their noses
up at it. Then again, neither one of them liked fishy cat food.

When I make salmon patties I use a 15 oz. can of canned pink salmon, not
the tuna sized can. I drain it and remove the little round bones but
that's not really necessary since they are so soft they can be crushed
with a fork. The skin doesn't bother me either but there really isn't
much of it. Remove the skin if it bothers you. Mash the salmon in a
mixing bowl with a fork. Stir in a bit of flour (or breadcrumbs), S&P,
an egg, minced onion. I add a Tbs. of sour cream. More flour to help
bind the mixture. (My mother used to add crushed corn chips rather than
flour.) Expect it to be a bit crumbly. Form it into patties and let it
set on waxed paper for a bit. Pan fry in a small amount of oil in a
large non-stick skillet until browned on both sides.

Jilll

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 21, 2024, 6:55:06 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-20, Ed P <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:
> On 2/19/2024 5:08 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

>> I sliced the potatoes and onions and remembered what a pain-in-the-ass
>> is is to brown the potatoes in a black iron pan and make sure they're
>> done. When I put in the patties, she said there wasn't enough oil.
>> I let her take over the whole shebang, and here's the result. I don't
>> think I've ever had this combination before. The green beans are canned.
>> Even with the confusion I experienced, this turned out better than expected.

> Looks good. We used to make fried potatoes like that every few weeks.
> Been a while, I should do it again.

Next time, if there is one, I'm cubing the potatoes. They're a hell of a
lot easier to flip and brown.

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 21, 2024, 7:10:34 PMFeb 21
jmcquown wrote:

> When I make salmon patties I use a 15 oz. can of canned pink salmon, not
> the tuna sized can. I drain it and remove the little round bones but
> that's not really necessary since they are so soft they can be crushed
> with a fork. The skin doesn't bother me either but there really isn't
> much of it. Remove the skin if it bothers you. Mash the salmon in a
> mixing bowl with a fork. Stir in a bit of flour (or breadcrumbs), S&P,
> an egg, minced onion. I add a Tbs. of sour cream. More flour to help
> bind the mixture. (My mother used to add crushed corn chips rather than
> flour.) Expect it to be a bit crumbly. Form it into patties and let it
> set on waxed paper for a bit. Pan fry in a small amount of oil in a
> large non-stick skillet until browned on both sides.

> Jilll

If you like it, try a few healthy shakes of lemon pepper in your next batch
of patties mixture.

No, the skin or bones don't bother me, but when I was working and would make
salmon patties for work lunches my co-worker hated the little bones. They're
so soft, they make no difference to me so I would buy the little cans of boneless,
skinless Chicken of the Sea salmon.

jmcquown

Feb 21, 2024, 7:51:01 PMFeb 21
On 2/21/2024 7:09 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> When I make salmon patties I use a 15 oz. can of canned pink salmon,
>> not the tuna sized can.  I drain it and remove the little round bones
>> but that's not really necessary since they are so soft they can be
>> crushed with a fork.  The skin doesn't bother me either but there
>> really isn't much of it.  Remove the skin if it bothers you.  Mash the
>> salmon in a mixing bowl with a fork.  Stir in a bit of flour (or
>> breadcrumbs), S&P, an egg, minced onion.  I add a Tbs. of sour cream.
>> More flour to help bind the mixture.  (My mother used to add crushed
>> corn chips rather than flour.)  Expect it to be a bit crumbly.  Form
>> it into patties and let it set on waxed paper for a bit.  Pan fry in a
>> small amount of oil in a large non-stick skillet until browned on both
>> sides.
>
>> Jilll
>>
> If you like it, try a few healthy shakes of lemon pepper in your next batch
> of patties mixture.

I don't like lemon pepper. I think I have a bottle of it but I rarely
use it for anything.

> No, the skin or bones don't bother me, but when I was working and would
> make
> salmon patties for work lunches my co-worker hated the little bones.
> They're
> so soft, they make no difference to me so I would buy the little cans of
> boneless,
> skinless Chicken of the Sea salmon.

I understand why you'd buy the boneless skinless because your co-worker
disliked the little bones, although they're easy enough to remove before
to cook them. The Chicken of the Sea tuna-size cans cost more than the
15 oz. Roland brand "fancy" (nothing fancy about it) pink salmon.

I'm not saying either one is better than the other. They're just salmon
patties, after all. :)

Jill

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 21, 2024, 8:43:20 PMFeb 21
On 2024-02-19, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The salmon patties look good but the preparation is not really the same
> as making meatloaf.

It kind of is. Cracker or bread crumbs bring it all together along with
an egg yolk and some salt. After that, one's imagination is the limit.
That applies to any loose meat. I call it a method and not a recipe
and will understand other points of view when I'm corrected.

leo

ItsJoanNotJoAnn

Feb 21, 2024, 9:55:38 PMFeb 21
jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/21/2024 7:09 PM, ItsJoanNotJoAnn wrote:
>>
>> If you like it, try a few healthy shakes of lemon pepper in your next batch
>> of patties mixture.
>>
> I don't like lemon pepper. I think I have a bottle of it but I rarely
> use it for anything.

Ok, that's out! There's so many additions one can add or omit and that's a
good thing.

> I understand why you'd buy the boneless skinless because your co-worker
> disliked the little bones, although they're easy enough to remove before
> to cook them. The Chicken of the Sea tuna-size cans cost more than the
> 15 oz. Roland brand "fancy" (nothing fancy about it) pink salmon.

> I'm not saying either one is better than the other. They're just salmon
> patties, after all. :)

> Jill

I wonder if Chicken of the Sea produces those small tuna size cans of salmon
because single folks requested them as they find a regular size just too much
to have left over?

dsi1

Feb 22, 2024, 1:57:20 AMFeb 22
Dinner tonight was meatloaf. I used an egg substitute because it was easier than cracking an egg. I thought the egg substitute was bad stuff until I used it to make some scrambled eggs. It cooks up just beautifully.
The meatloaf was mostly standard except for some ketchup, Korean beef broth powder, and corn. I cooked it in a rice cooker. My meatloaves are like fingerprints - no two are ever the same.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8NdvuAh7Q8v2zQhB9

Leonard Blaisdell

Feb 22, 2024, 2:36:37 AMFeb 22
On 2024-02-22, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> The meatloaf was mostly standard except for some ketchup, Korean beef broth powder, and corn. I cooked it in a rice cooker. My meatloaves are like fingerprints - no two are ever the same.

So are mine. If I'm comfortable with the method, I use my palm as a
measure. Sometimes I go crazy and add something that I hadn't thought of
before. ;)
I hope you're here tomorrow. You know how to be.