Dinner Plans for Tomorrow or Friday

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2021, 10:18:28 PM9/16/21
I've had this on my mind since the meatloaf thread. I believe it was
Michael who mentioned his grandmother and later he added breadcrumbs to
ground beef, cooking the ground beef patties then making a pan gravy
from the drippings. I call that Salisbury Steak. :)

I haven't made it several years but I think it's about time I do it
again. It's nice served with mashed potatoes as a foil for the gravy.
Could serve it with egg noodles, too, I suppose.

This is an example of a recipe for it. I always make it with a
beef/onion gravy but you could certainly do mushroom gravy if you'd prefer.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/78370/hamburger-steak-with-onions-and-gravy/

Oh, and none of that "cooking sherry", please. This isn't fancy food
and I've never heard of any kind of sherry being added to original
recipes for Salisbury steak. Sometimes people try to make things a bit
too fru-fru. No need to mess with good old recipes! :)

Jill

jmcquown

Sep 16, 2021, 10:21:00 PM9/16/21

Cindy Hamilton

Sep 17, 2021, 4:51:31 AM9/17/21
One person's "fru-fru" is another person's "perfectly ordinary".

My objection would be to the use of "cooking sherry".

Cindy Hamilton

Bruce 3.2

Sep 17, 2021, 5:00:34 AM9/17/21
Yes, I wouldn't use "cooking wine" either.

fos

Sep 17, 2021, 8:01:37 AM9/17/21
On 2021-09-17, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> No need to mess with good old recipes! :)

Yes and no. lol. I'm always messing with recipes old and new, much to
the chagrin of my wife. Most of the time I win, occasionally I lose and it
ends up in the compost pile and I have to hit up the local Chinese
take out.

Today, for my birthday, macaroni and cheese. Grilled. Sort of. Made from
freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese which was cold smoked using cherry,
maple, and hickory pellets then aged several months. Also with browned
pulled pork which was smoked for nearly 16 hours. Wife will put it together
and I'll roast it in the gas grill until the bread crumbs on top are
crispy.

Now for the part most of you may find cringe worthy. My maternal
grandfather smathered his macncheeze with yellow mustard. When out of
mustard, he used ketchup. I got it from him, and my daughter does it too,
we both smather our macncheeze in ketchup. That makes that tradition
over a century old. Hard to beat a guud old recipe. :)

--
f...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 2:03:13 PM9/17/21
On 9/16/2021 10:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Yes, that was me. Grandma never thickened the drippings into gravy, but
I think it's a lot better that way. I didn't ever process that it was
actually "Salisbury steak".

Yes, that would hit the spot about now. I haven't done much cooking
lately other than very basic stuff, I really need to go do grocery shopping.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 2:05:20 PM9/17/21
I put ketchup on mac/cheese if it's the boxed variety (powdered or
velveeta).. it makes it more edible. My grandmother did the same..
can't say I've ever heard of someone using mustard before.

jmcquown

Sep 17, 2021, 2:25:16 PM9/17/21
On 9/17/2021 2:03 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 9/16/2021 10:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I've had this on my mind since the meatloaf thread. I believe it was
>> Michael who mentioned his grandmother and later he added breadcrumbs to
>> ground beef, cooking the ground beef patties then making a pan gravy
>> from the drippings. I call that Salisbury Steak. :)
>>
>> I haven't made it several years but I think it's about time I do it
>> again. It's nice served with mashed potatoes as a foil for the gravy.
>> Could serve it with egg noodles, too, I suppose.
>>
>> This is an example of a recipe for it. I always make it with a
>> beef/onion gravy but you could certainly do mushroom gravy if you'd
>> prefer.
>>
>> https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/78370/hamburger-steak-with-onions-and-gravy/
>>

>> Oh, and none of that "cooking sherry", please. This isn't fancy food and
>> I've never heard of any kind of sherry being added to original recipes
>> for Salisbury steak. Sometimes people try to make things a bit too
>> fru-fru. No need to mess with good old recipes! :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> Yes, that was me.  Grandma never thickened the drippings into gravy, but
> I think it's a lot better that way.  I didn't ever process that it was
> actually "Salisbury steak".

Unless you' grew up hearing it called that, no reason why you should.
But yes, that's basically what you described and it put the idea of
making it back in my head. :)

> Yes, that would hit the spot about now.  I haven't done much cooking
> lately other than very basic stuff, I really need to go do grocery
> shopping.

I have a stand-alone freezer so I nearly always have things on hand to
cook whatever when I feel like cooking. I do have to remember to take
whatever it is out of the freezer, but a quick thaw method is simply a
pan or sink full of cold water. :)

Jill

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 3:49:00 PM9/17/21
On 9/17/2021 2:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/17/2021 2:03 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> Yes, that was me. Grandma never thickened the drippings into gravy,
>> but I think it's a lot better that way. I didn't ever process that it
>> was actually "Salisbury steak".
>>
> Unless you' grew up hearing it called that, no reason why you should.
> But yes, that's basically what you described and it put the idea of
> making it back in my head. :)

I'm familiar with it, and I have eaten it, I just didn't correlate the
two. I had assumed I never made it before, I guess in a way I have.
The last time I had it, it was with a cheap cut of steak, not a ground
patty, IIRC.

>> Yes, that would hit the spot about now. I haven't done much cooking
>> lately other than very basic stuff, I really need to go do grocery
>> shopping.
>
> I have a stand-alone freezer so I nearly always have things on hand to
> cook whatever when I feel like cooking. I do have to remember to take
> whatever it is out of the freezer, but a quick thaw method is simply a
> pan or sink full of cold water. :)
>
> Jill

Yes, I have an upright freezer in my basement as well (otherwise my
fridge would be miserable to use alone). I revise, I have plenty of
frozen meat, but no potatoes, onions, vegetables, etc. Sure, I have
rice, but that gets old fast.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2021, 5:43:07 PM9/17/21

It will either be more soup or I've got a tray of different deli meats I need
to finish off. But there is an eye of round roast in the Ninja Foodi as I
write that will be used for sandwiches over the next few days. The house
smells delicious while it's cooking.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 6:55:28 PM9/17/21
Sounds like you sure get your moneys worth of of that ninja cooker!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 17, 2021, 7:13:44 PM9/17/21
I enjoy using as it does produce great results in a relatively short time
when I use the pressure function. Chicken wings take mere minutes
when I use it as an air fryer.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 7:39:39 PM9/17/21
Raw chicken wings - that fast?

ItsJoan NotJoAnn

Sep 17, 2021, 7:54:39 PM9/17/21
From frozen rock hard to cooked in 6 minutes using the pressure cooker.
Then I will season them and use the air fryer function to put some nice
browning on them.

Michael Trew

Sep 17, 2021, 8:12:18 PM9/17/21
OK, you're starting to tempt me.. but I'm sure I'm too cheap to buy one.
I have a bag of frozen chicken wing pieces in the basement freezer
that was on sale a month ago, and I've been to lazy to cook it.

ItsJoan NotJoAnn

Sep 17, 2021, 8:40:33 PM9/17/21
It's not a cheap, price wise, appliance.

Michael Trew

Sep 18, 2021, 9:22:02 AM9/18/21

bruce bowser

Sep 18, 2021, 1:09:17 PM9/18/21
On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:01:37 AM UTC-4, fos wrote:
> On 2021-09-17, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > No need to mess with good old recipes! :)
> Yes and no. lol. I'm always messing with recipes old and new, much to
> the chagrin of my wife. Most of the time I win, occasionally I lose and it
> ends up in the compost pile and I have to hit up the local Chinese
> take out.
>
> Today, for my birthday, macaroni and cheese. Grilled. Sort of. Made from
> freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese which was cold smoked using cherry,
> maple, and hickory pellets then aged several months. Also with browned
> pulled pork which was smoked for nearly 16 hours. Wife will put it together
> and I'll roast it in the gas grill until the bread crumbs on top are
> crispy.

I've never had food from a gas grill. Does the food have a gassy aftertaste?

Ed Pawlowski

Sep 18, 2021, 1:30:03 PM9/18/21
Why would it? Millions of gas ovens do the same thing as a gas grill.
Ever hears of anyone complain of gassy aftertaste from the Thanksgiving
turkey or a birthday cake?

In about an hour I'm taking a 12 pound brisket off the gas grill where I
smoked it overnight.

Mike Duffy

Sep 18, 2021, 1:42:59 PM9/18/21
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 10:09:14 -0700, bruce bowser wrote:

> I've never had food from a gas grill. Does the food have a gassy
> aftertaste?

No, but if your wife complains about your farting, you can just say
there's a wee leak in the gas line somewhere.

dsi1

Sep 18, 2021, 1:48:37 PM9/18/21
The Korean barbecue joint we go to uses gas grills. The food tastes fine but they probably use some kind of special Korean gas. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L3rHggGKo66VsaU57

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2021, 3:12:23 PM9/18/21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 8:22:02 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:

> Is this the one you have? Reviews are pretty impressive.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-FD401-Fryer-Stainless-Pressure-8-Quart/dp/B07S85TPLG/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ninja+foodie&qid=1631971054&sr=8-3

This is the one I have and they have dropped in price. There are other
different models of the Ninja now available with the knob control whereas
mine is the pushbutton controls.

https://www.amazon.com/SharkNinja-OP401-Deluxe-TenderCrisp-Pressure/dp/B07FX68X1Y/ref=sr_1_6?

Walmart stocks them but only the 6.5 quart models.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Sep 18, 2021, 3:13:12 PM9/18/21
On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 12:09:17 PM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:

> I've never had food from a gas grill. Does the food have a gassy aftertaste?

Of course not.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 18, 2021, 3:31:18 PM9/18/21
lol

Hank Rogers

Sep 18, 2021, 4:50:08 PM9/18/21
Only if you use methane gas like master druce. Propane or even
natural gas doesn't impart any particular taste.

bruce bowser

Sep 18, 2021, 5:55:26 PM9/18/21
Sorry then, because I wouldn't know. I've only used charcoal, wood, hibachi, smoker, etc..

dsi1

Sep 18, 2021, 6:42:49 PM9/18/21
I've had some salmon nigiri that was seared with a propane torch. You can taste the propane. Oddly enough, I like the way that tastes. My guess is that the flavor of the gas can be controlled by what part of the flame you use i.e., the the closer you are to the flame outlet, the more unburnt products of combustion gets deposited on the food.

https://www.blogtasticfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/sushi-nigiri-3.jpg

Gary

Sep 19, 2021, 10:52:58 AM9/19/21
On 9/18/2021 4:50 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> bruce bowser wrote:
>> I've never had food from a gas grill. Does the food have a gassy
>> aftertaste?
>>

> Only if you use methane gas like master druce. Propane or even natural
> gas doesn't impart any particular taste.

Natural gas has xanthum gum perfume added so you can detect a gas leak.

Bruce 3.2

Sep 19, 2021, 3:26:36 PM9/19/21
I knew they added something for that reason, but I didn't know it was
xanthan gum. I guess Limburger's too expensive.