Le Creuset Knock-off?

Marc H deLemos

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
I recently bought a covered oval dutch oven at Marshall's (a local
discounter) with a brand name of NOMAR. It's cast iron covered with enamel
(grey inside, dark blue outside). For 40 bucks I figured it was worth a
shot. I *like* it! It cooks well, and cleans up well. I want more pieces.
They don't have any more of them at the discounter's, and they know nothing
about where it came from at the store...web searching has turned up nothing.
Anyone have any clues about who Nomar is (other than the Boston Red Sox's
shortstop)? The only distinguishing marks on the oven are the words "Made
in France" and the number "24". Thanks in advance

Marc
--
http://www.delemos.net/roadsend/hfat.htm
The secret of the happy fat diet....

Price

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
In article <09wi5.10270$NH2....@typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>,
del...@mediaone.net fires up all the neurons and says...

Here's their URL...

http://www.nomar.fr/fr/acceuil-n-fr.htm

Hope you have better luck with the French language than I...

--
Price...
<!.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ..>

hawkinsi

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
wal=mart has cast iron pans

jack the van man

Margie

Aug 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/4/00
Let us know how this stuff holds up. Its certainly more affordable than
Creuset...!

margie
--
remove x's to reply

"Price" <pr...@tagpressroom.com> wrote in message

Sheryl Rosen

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00

>I recently bought a covered oval dutch oven at Marshall's (a local
>discounter) with a brand name of NOMAR. It's cast iron covered with enamel
>(grey inside, dark blue outside). For 40 bucks I figured it was worth a
>shot. I *like* it! It cooks well, and cleans up well. I want more pieces.
>They don't have any more of them at the discounter's, and they know nothing
>about where it came from at the store...web searching has turned up nothing.
>Anyone have any clues about who Nomar is (other than the Boston Red Sox's
>shortstop)? The only distinguishing marks on the oven are the words "Made
>in France" and the number "24". Thanks in advance
>
>Marc
>--

Hahahah I smiled when I saw the name of the pan...I thought of Nomar
Garciaparra too! He's only one of the best shortstops in baseball. (Ok, you
Jeter fans, calm down....I said ONE of them!) Did you know he was Nomar because
his father's name is Ramon, and Ramon spelled backwards is Nomar?

I have seen those pots at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I always wondered how they
were. My only fear woudl be that the enamel wouldn't hold up as well as Le
Creuset's. But for $40---how can you really go wrong?

Let us know how it is 6 months from now, would you?
Sheryl
Not a newbie. Just new to AOL.

Young

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> Hahahah I smiled when I saw the name of the pan...I thought of Nomar
> Garciaparra too! He's only one of the best shortstops in baseball. (Ok, you
> Jeter fans, calm down....I said ONE of them!) Did you know he was Nomar because
> his father's name is Ramon, and Ramon spelled backwards is Nomar?

I knew that. Until then I thought he must be half Japanese or
something. Sounded asian to me. I hope that doesn't turn into a
trend. Bunch of yhtomits and trebors and irtimids running about.
Not good. (smile)

> I have seen those pots at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I always wondered how they
> were. My only fear woudl be that the enamel wouldn't hold up as well as Le
> Creuset's. But for $40---how can you really go wrong?

I'd buy one, why not. I've just never seen any. I had to drive quite
a ways just to get Le Crueset ... I never see it in the stores. I'm
sure it'll last just fine.

nancy

Gary O.

Aug 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/5/00
catma...@aol.com (Sheryl Rosen) wrote:

>Let us know how it is 6 months from now, would you?
>Sheryl

I was wondering the same thing. Sure would be nice to have feedback
on longevity.

Gary O.
trac...@pacbell.net

Michael Acord

Aug 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/6/00

Marc H deLemos wrote:

> I recently bought a covered oval dutch oven at Marshall's (a local
> discounter) with a brand name of NOMAR. It's cast iron covered with enamel
> (grey inside, dark blue outside). For 40 bucks I figured it was worth a
> shot. I *like* it! It cooks well, and cleans up well. I want more pieces.
> They don't have any more of them at the discounter's, and they know nothing
> about where it came from at the store...web searching has turned up nothing.
> Anyone have any clues about who Nomar is (other than the Boston Red Sox's
> shortstop)? The only distinguishing marks on the oven are the words "Made
> in France" and the number "24". Thanks in advance
>
> Marc
> --

> http://www.delemos.net/roadsend/hfat.htm
> The secret of the happy fat diet....

Most people also forget the great old 'Descoware,' the enameled cast iron so
popular forty years ago.
Mike Acord

Doug Freyburger

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
Michael Acord wrote:

> Most people also forget the great old 'Descoware,' the
> enameled cast iron so popular forty years ago.

Two pieces hang in my kitchen* and they are like new. If
you find any at a yard sale, either buy it or tell a chef.

*They did until they were packed for the upcoming move, anyways.

Joan Ellis

Aug 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/7/00
In rec.food.cooking, on Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:28:00 -0700 , Doug
Freyburger <dfre...@colltech.com> wrote about Re: Le Creuset
Knock-off?:

>Michael Acord wrote:
>>
>> Most people also forget the great old 'Descoware,' the
>> enameled cast iron so popular forty years ago.
>
>Two pieces hang in my kitchen* and they are like new. If
>you find any at a yard sale, either buy it or tell a chef.

I have a 12" frying pan with lid and removable wooden handle,but I
never thought it was worth much in particular. My father loved it, and
my mother gave it to me after he died because she didn't like the
weight.

Joan

Robin Nelson

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
On Sun, 06 Aug 2000 20:06:21 GMT, Michael Acord
<mpa...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Marc H deLemos wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a covered oval dutch oven at Marshall's (a local
>> discounter) with a brand name of NOMAR. It's cast iron covered with enamel
>> (grey inside, dark blue outside). For 40 bucks I figured it was worth a
>> shot. I *like* it! It cooks well, and cleans up well. I want more pieces.
>> They don't have any more of them at the discounter's, and they know nothing
>> about where it came from at the store...web searching has turned up nothing.
>> Anyone have any clues about who Nomar is (other than the Boston Red Sox's
>> shortstop)? The only distinguishing marks on the oven are the words "Made
>> in France" and the number "24". Thanks in advance
>>
>> Marc
>> --
>> http://www.delemos.net/roadsend/hfat.htm
>> The secret of the happy fat diet....
>

>Most people also forget the great old 'Descoware,' the enameled cast iron so
>popular forty years ago.

> Mike Acord

Don't forget that LeCreuset has something the knock-offs can't touch:
a lifetime guarantee.

I got one over 25 years ago as a gift -- so I didn't even have a
receipt. But when the surface started to flake off recently I sent it
down to them (SC) for inspection and in four weeks had a brand new
covered casserole (over $100) -- no questions asked.

Marc H deLemos

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
A lifetime guarantee is nice...but if I can get something that lasts 20
years for 1/3 the price, then I can afford to get another one when the time
comes along....I'm not banking on being around more than another 60 years :)

Marc
--
http://www.delemos.net/
Making the world weirder, one click at a time...

"Robin Nelson" <tor...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Marc H deLemos

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Thanks!
I have little skill with French, but my wife, who *can* read French, took a
look at it and gave me the highlights. We're going to send them an email to
find out where we can get more of their pieces in our part of the US. I'm
sure I'll have to pay more for the same piece at retail, but even at twice
the price, it's a decent deal... I want a dutch oven about twice the size of
my current one, a huge skillet and a roasting pan....if I get any word
about where they can be purchased, I'll be sure to post it here...

Marc

http://www.delemos.net/
Making the world weirder, one click at a time...

> I recently bought a covered oval dutch oven at Marshall's (a local
> discounter) with a brand name of NOMAR. It's cast iron covered with
enamel
> (grey inside, dark blue outside). For 40 bucks I figured it was worth a
> shot. I *like* it! It cooks well, and cleans up well. I want more
pieces.
> They don't have any more of them at the discounter's, and they know
nothing
> about where it came from at the store...web searching has turned up
nothing.
> Anyone have any clues about who Nomar is (other than the Boston Red
Sox's
> shortstop)? The only distinguishing marks on the oven are the words
"Made
> in France" and the number "24". Thanks in advance
>
> Marc
> --
> http://www.delemos.net/roadsend/hfat.htm
> The secret of the happy fat diet....

Here's their URL...

TJ

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
Marc H deLemos wrote:

> A lifetime guarantee is nice...but if I can get something that lasts 20
> years for 1/3 the price, then I can afford to get another one when the time
> comes along....I'm not banking on being around more than another 60 years :)

How do you know it will last twenty years. I've had LC finish flake off,
and one fell off a shelf less than 6 inches up and cracked in half.
Once those two peices bit the dust, the rest of the set has hung on for
nearly 15 years now.
tj
who didn't even try to return them, having gotten them (new) at a garage
sale for 20 bucks.

Ward Stewart

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00

Another factor is the strength and elasticity of one's wrists -- at
my age I doubt that I could use such cast-iron things, however pretty
the enamel.

ward

"Let me say this carefully, but clearly. Anyone who
elevates their prejudices to the position where they
are defended as the will of God is evil.

Anybody who justifies their denigration of another
person's being based upon a quotation from an ancient
sacred text called the Word of God is simply out
of touch with contemporary scholarship. Anybody who
will not open themselves to the new knowledge readily
available in medical and scientific circles because
it calls into question their uninformed attitudes is
profoundly ignorant."
-- John Spong

nicola.p...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2014, 2:57:43 AM1/25/14
Love my pieces!!!! Made in France! Finally something not from china! Got mine from different second hand shops, I live in Switzerland. They are much more valued here than le crueset, which are so trendy!

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 25, 2014, 3:54:03 AM1/25/14
On Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:57:43 AM UTC-6, nicola.p...@gmail.com wrote:

> Love my pieces!!!! Made in France! Finally something not from china! Got mine from different second hand shops, I live in Switzerland. They are much more valued here than le crueset, which are so trendy!

Dumbass.

ImStillMags

Jan 25, 2014, 11:03:07 AM1/25/14
On Monday, August 7, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Joan Ellis wrote:
> In rec.food.cooking, on Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:28:00 -0700 , Doug
> Freyburger <dfre...@colltech.com> wrote about Re: Le Creuset
> Knock-off?:
>
> >Michael Acord wrote:
> >>
> >> Most people also forget the great old 'Descoware,' the
> >> enameled cast iron so popular forty years ago.
> >
> >Two pieces hang in my kitchen* and they are like new. If
> >you find any at a yard sale, either buy it or tell a chef.
> >
> I have a 12" frying pan with lid and removable wooden handle,but I
> never thought it was worth much in particular. My father loved it, and
> my mother gave it to me after he died because she didn't like the
> weight.
>
> Joan

There's tons of Descoware on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=descoware&clk_rvr_id=577737406841&adpos=1t1&MT_ID=70&crlp=12078419045_2416792&device=c&geo_id=10232&keyword=descoware&crdt=0

jmcquown

Jan 25, 2014, 11:20:23 AM1/25/14
I own a lot of pieces of 'orange flame' Descoware. All vintage, of
course. I posted a link about the relationship between Le Creuset and
Descoware a month or so ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descoware

"Desco Corporation was bought out by Le Creuset in the 1960s. Le Creuset
stopped manufacturing and marketing Descoware while promoting their
French-manufactured Le Creuset brand of porcelain-coated cast iron
cookware in its place."

Mine are all stamped made in Belgium. They get a lot of use!

Jill
Message has been deleted

Big Trig

Jan 25, 2014, 1:06:08 PM1/25/14
On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 11:01:27 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> This is a thread from 14 YEARS AGO.

Like yer stalking Omelet?

projektile...@yahoo.com

Jan 26, 2014, 1:23:36 AM1/26/14
LOL!!!! Why is this shit dredged up from 13 1/2 years ago?

pltrgyst

Jan 26, 2014, 10:17:54 AM1/26/14
On 1/25/14, 11:03 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Monday, August 7, 2000 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Joan Ellis wrote:
>> In rec.food.cooking, on Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:28:00 -0700 , Doug
>> Freyburger <dfre...@colltech.com> wrote about Re: Le Creuset
>> Knock-off?:

>>> Two pieces hang in my kitchen* and they are like new. If
>>> you find any at a yard sale, either buy it or tell a chef.
>>>
>> I have a 12" frying pan with lid and removable wooden handle,but I
>> never thought it was worth much in particular. My father loved it, and
>> my mother gave it to me after he died because she didn't like the
>> weight.
>>
>> Joan
>
> There's tons of Descoware on eBay.

There is, indeed. But Descoware does not have a flat bottom, so we can't
use it on glass cooktops or induction.

-- Larry

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 26, 2014, 11:02:53 AM1/26/14
It has been happening a lot on other groups also. Must be a Google
Groups thing or a newbie searching old threads.

Nunya Bidnits

Jan 26, 2014, 12:08:47 PM1/26/14
That's why I prefer gas cooktops.

Fire... the other heat source.

MartyB

graham

Jan 26, 2014, 12:21:30 PM1/26/14

"Ed Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net> wrote in message
I've noticed it too. I think it must be the former.

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2014, 12:31:21 PM1/26/14
On 1/26/2014 12:08 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>>> There's tons of Descoware on eBay.
>>
>> There is, indeed. But Descoware does not have a flat bottom, so we
>> can't use it on glass cooktops or induction.
>>
>> -- Larry
>
> That's why I prefer gas cooktops.
> Fire... the other heat source.
> MartyB

I wouldn't have a glass cooktop. Sorry, but I just can't see it unless
you don't do a lot of cooking.

I can't have a gas cooktop where I live now. But Descoware works fine
on a coil electric stovetop, and in the oven.

I have that Descoware frying pan with the wooden handle. It's larger
than a 12" skillet. Mine also has a lid. Unfortunately, over the many
years the wooden handle got stripped. I no longer have the handle.
It's got a fitting like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68947145/descoware-replacement-handle-for

See? I could buy a replacement handle. The skillet itself has enough
of a handle to forgoe replacing it. Easy enough to move it from the
stovetop (or oven) off the heat just using oven mitts.

Jill

sf

Jan 26, 2014, 1:13:19 PM1/26/14
It happens here from time to time. It's usually some idiot who has
downloaded every retained article on his news server and starts
reading rfc from oldest to newest post.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

pltrgyst

Jan 26, 2014, 3:42:35 PM1/26/14
On 1/26/14, 12:08 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>> There is, indeed. But Descoware does not have a flat bottom, so we
>> can't use it on glass cooktops or induction.
>
> That's why I prefer gas cooktops.
> Fire... the other heat source.

"Fire... the other, twentieth century, less efficient heat source."

Fixed yer post, Marty. 8;)

-- Larry

Big Trig

Jan 26, 2014, 4:51:01 PM1/26/14
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:08:47 -0600, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> I prefer gas cooktops.

No one cares.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

DIgby Lines

Jan 27, 2014, 12:51:31 PM1/27/14
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 02:31:53 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> <making ape sounds>

'Bout your speed, dwarf...

undert...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2018, 3:19:29 AM9/17/18
I bought a set of white enamelled cast iron Nomar pans in 1983, with money from a legacy. They are all still in daily use and doing the job perfectly. In the UK they were on sale alongside the more commonly known Le Crueuset but were in no way inferior to that product. I believe they were/are French also. Sadly, Nomar seemed to have vanished in recent years but I'm now hopeful I can find what I've wanted for many years, which is a replacement for the wonderful Nomar frying pan which got left behind in a house move many years since.

graham

Sep 17, 2018, 10:40:39 AM9/17/18
On 2018-09-17 1:19 AM, undert...@gmail.com wrote:
> I bought a set of white enamelled cast iron Nomar pans in 1983, with money from a legacy. They are all still in daily use and doing the job perfectly. In the UK they were on sale alongside the more commonly known Le Crueuset but were in no way inferior to that product. I believe they were/are French also. Sadly, Nomar seemed to have vanished in recent years but I'm now hopeful I can find what I've wanted for many years, which is a replacement for the wonderful Nomar frying pan which got left behind in a house move many years since.

Be VERY careful when looking at Le Creuset knock-offs. In about 1960 it
was discovered that LC were using cadmium and other poisonous elements
in those nice bright red and blue glazes. Overnight, LC stopped using them.

I would not trust those cheap Chinese knock-offs to be free of those
nasties!

sockmo...@comcast.net

Sep 17, 2018, 12:09:20 PM9/17/18
I have both, Le Creuset and a knock off. The ten year old knock off has a dime-sized hole in the inner enamel which rusts. The Le Creuset has many little holes in the inner enamel. I'm very disappointed in both, but they're still being used every day. The white insides of both stain easily.

Denise in NH

notbob

Sep 17, 2018, 1:26:47 PM9/17/18
On 9/17/2018 10:09 AM, sockmo...@comcast.net wrote:

. I'm very disappointed in both, but they're still being used every
day. The white insides of both stain easily.

You don't have a "Cousances", the forerunner of Le Crueset (gasp)?

The Cousance cookware is typically darker on the inside than the
enameling on the outside. It's also unavailable, except "used". ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousances

nb

ImStillMags

Sep 18, 2018, 5:53:06 PM9/18/18

effici...@bellsouth.net

Nov 16, 2018, 3:19:43 PM11/16/18
Nomar was a French, I think, cast iron producer bought out by Staub.