What did I do?

Bryan Simmons

Dec 4, 2022, 12:57:34 PM12/4/22

GM

Dec 4, 2022, 1:57:32 PM12/4/22
Is it a macrame project, Bryan...???

🤪

--
GM

Dec 4, 2022, 2:47:24 PM12/4/22
No man is an Island,
intire of it selfe;
every man is a piece of the Continent,
a part of the maine;
if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea,
Europe is the lesse,
as well as if a Promontorie were,
as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were;
any mans death diminishes me,
because I am involved in Mankinde;
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

😎

--
GM

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 4, 2022, 3:33:37 PM12/4/22
It looks like a plate of shredded cheese (cheddar?) to me. Going to make some
sort of sandwich, macaroni and cheese, or perhaps a potato/hashbrowns dish?

Michael Trew

Dec 4, 2022, 6:07:13 PM12/4/22
Needs a big dollop of Helmann's mayo ;)

Bryan Simmons

Dec 4, 2022, 6:09:50 PM12/4/22
I put the shredded cheese in a ring, then microwaved
it on 1/10 power to get it up to a little above room temp
so it would melt more easily in the omeletes I was
making. I might add, it worked better because I used a
microwave that has an inverter.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/52543472493/in/dateposted-public/

Cold cheese makes omeletes difficult.

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Dec 4, 2022, 6:11:01 PM12/4/22
Unlike some folks here, I don't suck down wino jizz.

--Bryan

Michael Trew

Dec 4, 2022, 7:04:22 PM12/4/22
On 12/4/2022 18:09, Bryan Simmons wrote:

> I put the shredded cheese in a ring, then microwaved
> it on 1/10 power to get it up to a little above room temp
> so it would melt more easily in the omeletes I was
> making. I might add, it worked better because I used a
> microwave that has an inverter.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/52543472493/in/dateposted-public/
>
> Cold cheese makes omeletes difficult.
>
> --Bryan

I've never had a problem with cold cheese melting in an omelet... just
let it rest a bit afterward.

If you're using bagged shredded cheese, the wax that they add to keep
the shreds from sticking together seems to make it more difficult to
melt. I'd strongly recommend buying a real block of cheddar and
shredding it yourself, if using bagged; the former is far superior.

jmcquown

Dec 5, 2022, 5:08:36 PM12/5/22
It's not wax, Michael. It's powdered cellulose.

Jill

Mike Duffy

Dec 5, 2022, 5:33:17 PM12/5/22
On 2022-12-05, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:

> It's not wax, Michael. It's powdered cellulose.

Plant fibre is good for you.

Hank Rogers

Dec 5, 2022, 7:38:38 PM12/5/22
Metamucil would do wonders for her majesty.

Michael Trew

Dec 5, 2022, 11:26:07 PM12/5/22
Cellulose; like fiber product from wood? That's wonderful. It has a
waxy texture, and is difficult to melt. Whatever it is, it's just kind
of gross. I use very little cheese, but when I do use it, I don't get
junk factory shredded in a bag; I shred real cheese (although some
RFC'ers don't consider cheddar a real cheese).

Hank Rogers

Dec 5, 2022, 11:56:17 PM12/5/22
I like Cabot cheddars. Price is good too.

Mike Duffy

Dec 6, 2022, 12:18:59 AM12/6/22
On 2022-12-06, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Cellulose; like fiber product from wood?
> [...] Whatever it is, it's just kind of gross.

I'm not sure; it's probably easy to make it
from sugar; that's what plants do.

> [...] cheddar

What's the problem woth cheddar? I've
always considered it a type of cheese.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 6, 2022, 5:31:39 AM12/6/22
On 2022-12-06, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 12/5/2022 17:08, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/4/2022 7:04 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're using bagged shredded cheese, the wax that they add to keep
>>> the shreds from sticking together seems to make it more difficult to
>>> melt. I'd strongly recommend buying a real block of cheddar and
>>> shredding it yourself, if using bagged; the former is far superior.
>>
>> It's not wax, Michael. It's powdered cellulose.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Cellulose; like fiber product from wood?

Not necessarily wood. All plants have cellulose.

https://www.mashed.com/428005/what-is-cellulose-and-why-is-it-in-cheese/

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 6, 2022, 5:37:57 AM12/6/22
Depends on the cheddar. There are some pretty bad generic, store-brand
cheeses out there with the word "cheddar" on the label. Waxy, gummy,
and pretty tasteless.

Oh, I bet this is _yummy_:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-high-temperature-cheese

--
Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Dec 6, 2022, 5:42:40 AM12/6/22
On 12/5/2022 11:56 PM, Hank Rogers wrote:
> I like Cabot cheddars. Price is good too.

I also like Cabot cheeses. Crystal Farms make it well too.
I buy the 8oz blocks.

Graham

Dec 6, 2022, 10:40:31 AM12/6/22
You should try some genuine, "farmhouse", clothbound Cheddar from the
area where it originates in Somerset, UK.
A maker in C19 sent his sons around the world to teach the cheddaring
method. Hence its widespread manufacture.

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 6, 2022, 10:55:14 AM12/6/22
A dozen years ago I tasted a similar cheese. It was as bland as the
American sliced cheese from the deli counter. Don't recall the texture
but definitely not like a good aged cheddar.

Graham

Dec 6, 2022, 11:05:38 AM12/6/22
When I visit my son and his family in BC, they live near Armstrong that
has a small, artisanal cheese maker. They sell some excellent, aged
cheddars up to 17 years old. I've tried a series of these but I can't
really tell the difference between a 5year old cheese and the older ones.

Hank Rogers

Dec 6, 2022, 8:02:36 PM12/6/22
Ever try any "Clover Valley" cheese? I got some once at dollar
general, but threw it away. It really pains me to waste food, but
that shit was vile.

Some clover valley stuff is OK, for example: oatmeal, and some are
passable like shredded wheat cheerio knockoffs etc.

Hank Rogers

Dec 6, 2022, 8:06:08 PM12/6/22
Hmm, I wonder if a thin slice of that stuff could be used to make
gaskets from.

Michael Trew

Dec 6, 2022, 9:50:18 PM12/6/22
Goodness, are you going for the super-snipper award? ;)

I was making a jab at Sheldon's semi-regular cheddar rant. Apparently,
it isn't a real cheese, due to the "awful fake" color and texture.

Michael Trew

Dec 6, 2022, 9:52:58 PM12/6/22
Thanks, I was recalling the issue with "Great Value" brand canned
shredded Parmesan cheese (crappy green bottle)... it was in the news, a
few years ago, for having too much cellulose in it... commentary on-line
was suggesting that they were putting very fine wood shavings or the
like into the "Parmesan" to stretch it out. I'd believe it, because the
stuff in the green can tastes like wood shavings... junk!

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 6, 2022, 10:14:27 PM12/6/22
We had the Kraft version growing up.

May granddaughter had some shipped to me for Christmas. Two half kilo
wedges of a 5 year old Parm direct from Italy.

https://www.parmashop.com/en/parmigiano-reggiano-pdo-organic-agricolture-60-months.html

bruce bowser

Dec 7, 2022, 2:04:02 PM12/7/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 9:52:58 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/6/2022 5:31, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On 2022-12-06, Michael Trew<michae...@att.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Cellulose; like fiber product from wood?
> >
> > Not necessarily wood. All plants have cellulose.
> >
> > https://www.mashed.com/428005/what-is-cellulose-and-why-is-it-in-cheese/
> Thanks, I was recalling the issue with "Great Value" brand canned
> shredded Parmesan cheese (crappy green bottle)... it was in the news, a
> few years ago, for having too much cellulose in it... commentary on-line
> was suggesting that they were putting very fine wood shavings or the
> like into the "Parmesan" to stretch it out.

Did you ever try the stuff on pasta?

Bryan Simmons

Dec 7, 2022, 3:18:11 PM12/7/22
They probably used 2/10 of 1%, instead of 1/10 of 1%.
That's completely insignificant as far as stretching. I'd
wager dollars to dimes that you grew up on the green
can, and it was fine. It doesn't make you seem
sophisticated when you write, "the stuff in the green
can tastes like wood shavings... junk!" It makes you
look pretentious. I don't buy the green can because it's
*not as good* as grating cheap, domestic parmesan
off a block, and it's not significantly cheaper, but it's
not "junk."

--Bryan

Bryan Simmons

Dec 7, 2022, 3:41:06 PM12/7/22
Of course he has. We all have.

--Bryan

John Kuthe

Dec 7, 2022, 4:18:01 PM12/7/22
On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 11:57:34 AM UTC-6, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> And why did I do it?
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/52541798977/in/dateposted-public/
>
> --Bryan

You FUCKED UP!

So do I sometimes! But I eat it anyway!

John Kuthe...

Bryan Simmons

Dec 7, 2022, 6:02:54 PM12/7/22
On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 3:18:01 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 11:57:34 AM UTC-6, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:
> > And why did I do it?
> >
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/36178182@N08/52541798977/in/dateposted-public/
> >
> > --Bryan
> You FUCKED UP!

Your existence is a FUCKUP.

> So do I sometimes! But I eat it anyway!

Useless beggars have to take what they can get.
I'd love to watch possums and buzzards feast on
your corpse.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Mike Duffy

Dec 7, 2022, 6:09:56 PM12/7/22
On 2022-12-07, Bryan Simmons <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 3:18:01 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

>> So do I sometimes! But I eat it anyway!

> Useless beggars have to take what they can get.

It's heartening to see you two finally discussing food.
but why are you both arguing over the worst-tasting?

And Bryan, don't forget that when you were
garbage-picking, John's donut shop was dessert.

John Kuthe

Dec 7, 2022, 9:33:40 PM12/7/22
You are one EVIL MFer, Bryan! I wish NO evil on you! Ever. None!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe

Dec 7, 2022, 9:35:19 PM12/7/22
On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 5:09:56 PM UTC-6, Mike Duffy wrote:
> And Bryan, don't forget that when you were
> garbage-picking, John's donut shop was dessert.

And I MADE all of his dessert! By HAND too!

John Kuthe...

Hank Rogers

Dec 7, 2022, 9:43:23 PM12/7/22
I bet you kneaded the dough with your dik.

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 12:35:55 AM12/8/22
On 12/7/2022 15:18, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 8:52:58 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew
> wrote:
>> I'd believe it, because the stuff in the green can tastes like wood
>> shavings... junk!
>>
> I'd wager dollars to
> dimes that you grew up on the green can, and it was fine. It doesn't
> make you seem sophisticated when you write, "the stuff in the green
> can tastes like wood shavings... junk!" It makes you look
> pretentious. I don't buy the green can because it's *not as good* as
> grating cheap, domestic parmesan off a block, and it's not
> significantly cheaper, but it's not "junk."
>
> --Bryan

...And you don't look pretentious when you go on a rant about any canned
or jarred food that you can't stand? How about your canola/vegetable
oil rants? Normal choice for almost anyone else, but you go on and on
about it, sounding pretentious as hell. You must be reflecting, I guess.

Anyway, moving on... even as a child, I never bothered to use the green
can, because I couldn't tell a difference between having that "Parmesan"
or not having it. I can't say that I hate it, because it has no taste
to me. Junk/not worth buying.

OTOH, I don't care much for cheese. If I go to the Olive Garden, I tell
the waitress to not bother with the Parmesan. The fresh stuff has some
taste, but it doesn't add much anything. I don't think that I've ever
bought a block of it, and I've never bought a green can.

Hank Rogers

Dec 8, 2022, 12:55:42 AM12/8/22
Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 15:18, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>> On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 8:52:58 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew
>> wrote:
>>> I'd believe it, because the stuff in the green can tastes like wood
>>> shavings... junk!
>>>
>> I'd wager dollars to
>> dimes that you grew up on the green can, and it was fine.  It
>> doesn't
>> make you seem sophisticated when you write, "the stuff in the green
>> can tastes like wood shavings... junk!"  It makes you look
>> pretentious.  I don't buy the green can because it's *not as
>> good* as
>> grating cheap, domestic parmesan off a block, and it's not
>> significantly cheaper, but it's not "junk."
>>
>> --Bryan
>
> ...And you don't look pretentious when you go on a rant about any
> canned or jarred food that you can't stand?  How about your
> canola/vegetable oil rants?  Normal choice for almost anyone else,
> but you go on and on about it, sounding pretentious as hell.  You
> must be reflecting, I guess.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Don't forget the jarred wino beatoff on your
next sandwich.

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 1:00:38 AM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 0:55, Hank Rogers wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 12/7/2022 15:18, Bryan Simmons wrote:
>>>
>>> It doesn't
>>> make you seem sophisticated when you write, "the stuff in the green
>>> can tastes like wood shavings... junk!" It makes you look pretentious.
>>
>> ...And you don't look pretentious when you go on a rant about any
>> canned or jarred food that you can't stand? How about your
>> canola/vegetable oil rants? Normal choice for almost anyone else, but
>> you go on and on about it, sounding pretentious as hell. You must be
>> reflecting, I guess.
>
> Hahahahahahahahahaha. Don't forget the jarred wino beatoff on your next
> sandwich.

I didn't want to post that, because he'd snip out the rest of my
comment, and go into a pretentious rant about store-bought mayonnaise.
(I was vague about "jarred foods".) I don't care for it, either, and I
don't buy store-bought mayonnaise -- just as I don't buy the green can
"cheese". It'll all go to waste long before I'd use it, as quality is
poor to begin with.

Bryan Simmons

Dec 8, 2022, 4:40:19 AM12/8/22
On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 11:35:55 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/7/2022 15:18, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> > On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 8:52:58 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew
> > wrote:
> >> I'd believe it, because the stuff in the green can tastes like wood
> >> shavings... junk!
> >>
> > I'd wager dollars to
> > dimes that you grew up on the green can, and it was fine. It doesn't
> > make you seem sophisticated when you write, "the stuff in the green
> > can tastes like wood shavings... junk!" It makes you look
> > pretentious. I don't buy the green can because it's *not as good* as
> > grating cheap, domestic parmesan off a block, and it's not
> > significantly cheaper, but it's not "junk."
> >
> > --Bryan
> ...And you don't look pretentious when you go on a rant about any canned
> or jarred food that you can't stand? How about your canola/vegetable
> oil rants? Normal choice for almost anyone else, but you go on and on
> about it, sounding pretentious as hell. You must be reflecting, I guess.

Soy and Canola are cheap, shitty oil.

> Anyway, moving on... even as a child, I never bothered to use the green
> can, because I couldn't tell a difference between having that "Parmesan"
> or not having it. I can't say that I hate it, because it has no taste
> to me. Junk/not worth buying.

Bullshit. Your hillbilly mama put it on the table,
and you put it on spaghetti. You'd never heard
of the fancy stuff until recently.

> OTOH, I don't care much for cheese. If I go to the Olive Garden, I tell
> the waitress to not bother with the Parmesan. The fresh stuff has some
> taste, but it doesn't add much anything. I don't think that I've ever
> bought a block of it, and I've never bought a green can.

No cheese and overcooked possum, and for a treat,
the Olive Garden.

--Bryan

Michael Trew

Dec 8, 2022, 10:58:12 PM12/8/22
On 12/8/2022 4:40, Bryan Simmons wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 11:35:55 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:
>> ...And you don't look pretentious when you go on a rant about any canned
>> or jarred food that you can't stand? How about your canola/vegetable
>> oil rants?
> Soy and Canola are cheap, shitty oil.

Just like your poor attempts at making insight into my life. You
haven't met me, and you don't know anything about me. All you have are
you distant far-off speculations. Are you related to Janet UK?

I hardly care for cheese, and I certainly don't care for bland tasteless
pre-shredded cheese. If I'm to put cheese on something, I want a sharp
cheese that I can actually taste. A few mild chunks of mozzarella on
pizza is fine for texture, but I should still be able to see the sauce.

>> I never bothered to use the green
>> can, because I couldn't tell a difference between having that "Parmesan"
>> or not having it.
>>
> You'd never heard of the fancy stuff until recently.

By "the fancy stuff", do you mean an actual block of Parmesan cheese?
My Italian grandfather used to grate it up, and put it into a jar in the
refrigerator. I still don't buy it myself, because I don't care for it.
I'm fine with nothing but tomato sauce on my pasta.