Re: Egg size

Graham

Jul 26, 2021, 5:34:12 PM7/26/21
On 2021-07-26 2:17 p.m., heyjoe wrote:
> Had an unexpected experience.
>
> Normally buy a dozen large eggs at the Kroger or Aldi. But had stopped
> at WalMark, because I needed a resupply of vitamin D. It was easy and
> convenient, so I picked up a dozen large eggs at the same time. At
> home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen, I was amazed at the large
> size. Noticeably larger than the "large" eggs from Kroger or Aldi.
> Double checked to be sure I hadn't bought extra-large (hadn't). Will
> have to stop by Walmark again, to see if that's the every day situation.

You might want to weigh them. I checked some once and found the large
should have been in a medium box. Obviously the farmer was screwing the
consumer.
Minimum weights
1. Jumbo Size 70 g
2. Extra Large 63 g
3. Large Size 56 g
4. Medium Size 49 g
5. Small Size 42 g

songbird

Jul 27, 2021, 12:35:17 PM7/27/21
heyjoe wrote:
> Had an unexpected experience.
>
> Normally buy a dozen large eggs at the Kroger or Aldi. But had stopped
> at WalMark, because I needed a resupply of vitamin D. It was easy and
> convenient, so I picked up a dozen large eggs at the same time. At
> home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen, I was amazed at the large
> size. Noticeably larger than the "large" eggs from Kroger or Aldi.
> Double checked to be sure I hadn't bought extra-large (hadn't). Will
> have to stop by Walmark again, to see if that's the every day situation.

it varies, the last time we picked up eggs they were smaller
than normal. i'm guessing that quality control is not the
strong point of many of their suppliers since they push so
hard for the lowest prices.

i've also noticed recently that there is a lot more air space
inside the eggs than there used to be. is it a new breed of
chicken or feed issue or water or what? i dunno. i generally
don't eat eggs that often but notice them being different if i
am the person picking up the box of eggs or cracking them to
eat them when they're hard boiled.

songbird

Sheldon Martin

Jul 27, 2021, 1:01:08 PM7/27/21
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 12:24:50 -0400, songbird <song...@anthive.com>
wrote:
Eggs in the US are packed by weight, not size

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2021, 1:37:24 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 12:35:17 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> heyjoe wrote:
> > Had an unexpected experience.
> >
> > Normally buy a dozen large eggs at the Kroger or Aldi. But had stopped
> > at WalMark, because I needed a resupply of vitamin D. It was easy and
> > convenient, so I picked up a dozen large eggs at the same time. At
> > home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen, I was amazed at the large
> > size. Noticeably larger than the "large" eggs from Kroger or Aldi.
> > Double checked to be sure I hadn't bought extra-large (hadn't). Will
> > have to stop by Walmark again, to see if that's the every day situation.
> it varies, the last time we picked up eggs they were smaller
> than normal. i'm guessing that quality control is not the
> strong point of many of their suppliers since they push so
> hard for the lowest prices.

I should think Walmart would be low-hanging fruit for USDA enforcement.

> i've also noticed recently that there is a lot more air space
> inside the eggs than there used to be. is it a new breed of
> chicken or feed issue or water or what?

Evaporation through the shell?

Cindy Hamilton

Snag

Jul 27, 2021, 2:03:58 PM7/27/21
Could be . A lot of people don't know that there is a coating on eggs
that prevents that . That coating also helps preserve the eggs - they
don't need to be refrigerated until they've been washed . We just leave
them out on the counter , sometimes for up to 3 weeks with no spoiled
ones yet .
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

bruce bowser

Jul 27, 2021, 2:34:57 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 12:35:17 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
i think he forgot duck eggs and quail eggs.

Sheldon Martin

Jul 27, 2021, 3:20:32 PM7/27/21
Eggs are sized for sale by weight, not size. Different aged chickens
produce eggs with different physical characteristics. The eggs in a
carton of a dozen will each weigh differently within certain
parameters... I've seen old ladies going through the egg cartons to
choose the heaviest and exchange them with ones from a different
carton... of course they could end up with more egg white and smaller
yolks. The amount of air space can differ by the type of chicken or
their time of month... egg shells vary by diet.
Commercial bakeries buy frozen eggs... buying eggs by volume, no
shells, is the fairest way... works for bakeries but not for diner
cooking. Eggs sold frozen in five gallon containers is what
commercial kitchens/bakeries buy. Commissarys, hospitals/prisons buy
eggs by how much yolk is in the container... cheating runs rampant in
the egg business, especially when dry eggs are in the equation...
could be more or less yolks/whites. The US military buys a lot of
eggs, especially frozen and dried... the US military serves the
highest ratio of yolks. One thing I know with certainty, the US
military does not skimp on feeding the troops. If you opened a 40
pound carton of frozen beef steaks you'd wish yould buy such high
quality steak. The US military gets the finast quality food on the
planet, unfortunately the US military has a goodly share of lousy
cooks. I never cheated the crew, some actually cried when I left. I
used to have big fights with the supply officer over the food bills.
The Captain would very often come through the enlisted men's chow line
for meals, I won every argument with the supply officer. The ship's
officers had their own galley, they voted on how much to spend, and
they were billed for their food, the officers were all cheapo
bastards.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 27, 2021, 3:30:58 PM7/27/21
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:20:25 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:
You just read an excerpt from "Eggs and Me, A Journey" by Sheldon
Martin, the man with no Enter key.

Janet

Jul 27, 2021, 3:32:09 PM7/27/21
In article <ijo5th-...@anthive.com>, song...@anthive.com says...

> heyjoe wrote:
> > Had an unexpected experience.
> >
> > Normally buy a dozen large eggs at the Kroger or Aldi. But had stopped
> > at WalMark, because I needed a resupply of vitamin D. It was easy and
> > convenient, so I picked up a dozen large eggs at the same time. At
> > home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen, I was amazed at the large
> > size. Noticeably larger than the "large" eggs from Kroger or Aldi.
> > Double checked to be sure I hadn't bought extra-large (hadn't). Will
> > have to stop by Walmark again, to see if that's the every day situation.
>
> it varies, the last time we picked up eggs they were smaller
> than normal. i'm guessing that quality control is not the
> strong point of many of their suppliers since they push so
> hard for the lowest prices.
>
> i've also noticed recently that there is a lot more air space
> inside the eggs than there used to be. is it a new breed of
> chicken or feed issue or water or what?

The air sac gets larger as the egg ages. So large sacs indicate old
eggs. You can test the age of eggs by putting one in a glass of water,
if its fresh it lies on the bottom. If it's stale the large air sac
makes it float.

Janet UK

Hank Rogers

Jul 27, 2021, 3:48:38 PM7/27/21
Yoose sure miss the navy Popeye. I wish yoose hadn't gotten kicked
out. But they just can't afford to have a sex offender in the ranks.

Hank Rogers

Jul 27, 2021, 3:50:58 PM7/27/21
Use a pan, and if the eggs are old, turn on the heat and boil them.
Old eggs are still good boiled, and easier to peel too.

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 4:05:25 PM7/27/21
On 27/07/2021 19:03, Snag wrote:

>   Could be . A lot of people don't know that there is a coating on eggs
> that prevents that . That coating also helps preserve the eggs - they
> don't need to be refrigerated until they've been washed .

That coating slows down the moisture loss, but doesn't stop it
completely. The older the egg, the bigger the air pocket.

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 4:07:20 PM7/27/21
On 27/07/2021 20:32, Janet wrote:
> In article <ijo5th-...@anthive.com>, song...@anthive.com says...

>> i've also noticed recently that there is a lot more air space
>> inside the eggs than there used to be. is it a new breed of
>> chicken or feed issue or water or what?
>

> The air sac gets larger as the egg ages. So large sacs indicate old
> eggs. You can test the age of eggs by putting one in a glass of water,
> if its fresh it lies on the bottom. If it's stale the large air sac
> makes it float.

Yes, my mother taught me the water trick. It does work.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2021, 4:21:06 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:30:58 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.0 wrote:

> You just read an excerpt from "Eggs and Me, A Journey" by Sheldon
> Martin, the man with no Enter key.

Paragraphs are a thing of beauty.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2021, 4:23:36 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 2:50:58 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Use a pan, and if the eggs are old, turn on the heat and boil them.
> Old eggs are still good boiled, and easier to peel too.

That's for dang sure.

They're great in tuna salad, egg salad, potato salad, on salads,
and just to eat.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 27, 2021, 4:29:44 PM7/27/21
Deviled eggs. Dang, I'm starting to crave them. One of the food web sites
I visit featured them recently. I don't agree with her method, but she put the
idea in my head.
<https://smittenkitchen.com/>

Cindy Hamilton

Sheldon Martin

Jul 27, 2021, 4:38:10 PM7/27/21

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2021, 4:39:10 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 3:29:44 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Deviled eggs. Dang, I'm starting to crave them. One of the food web sites
> I visit featured them recently. I don't agree with her method, but she put the
> idea in my head.
> <https://smittenkitchen.com/>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

How could I forget deviled eggs?!?!? Love me some deviled eggs!
I'm not fond of all her toppings, either.

Michael Trew

Jul 27, 2021, 4:43:05 PM7/27/21
I've heard that. I don't understand why they wash that off in the US.
I've been told that in Europe eggs are like that; just left on the counter.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2021, 4:43:12 PM7/27/21
On Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 3:38:10 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Floating eggs indicate spoilage.
> https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/cooking-tips-tutorials/a32415535/egg-float-water-test/

A floating egg does not necessarily mean it's spoiled. It's just not as
fresh as when the chicken popped it out. A two week old egg is MUCH
easier to peel once it's been boiled than a fresh from-the-hen egg. The
air bubble gets larger as the egg ages and shrinks but it doesn't mean
the egg is bad.

Michael Trew

Jul 27, 2021, 4:44:34 PM7/27/21
On 7/27/2021 3:30 PM, Bruce 3.0 wrote:
> the man with no Enter key.

LOL... laughed too hard at that one

Michael Trew

Jul 27, 2021, 4:45:32 PM7/27/21
I've heard that before as well. I never knew that the older eggs were
better to boil, however.. interesting.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 27, 2021, 5:00:57 PM7/27/21
Yes. They increase the chance that someone will read the text.

Snag

Jul 27, 2021, 5:21:52 PM7/27/21
Got 6 eggs a-boilin' as I type this . Dunno what we'll use them for ,
probably salad garnish , maybe some will go in a potato salad (fingers
crossed , that's one of my wife's specialties) and some will be just
eaten . Got over 3 dozen more if 6 ain't enough ... we need to freeze
some !

Snag

Jul 27, 2021, 5:35:30 PM7/27/21
On 7/27/2021 3:59 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 20:17:17 -0000 (UTC)
> in Message-ID: <news:sdn58d$ebf$1...@dont-email.me>
> heyjoe wrote :
>
>> At home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen
>
> Goodness! Summer is back with a vengence. Headed for the mid nineties
> and heat index around 105F. Finished egg salad, potato salad and
> pimento cheese yesterday. No more cooking until it cools down to
> seasonal temps.
>
> Well . . . maybe deviled eggs in the morning. Those sound pretty good
> right now.

Our high today was 97°F with a heat index of 115 ... it's dropped to
88°/104 now . Looks like tomorrow will be more of the same .
At least I got a nice ride in this morning before it got hot . "Bout
120 miles round trip on the Harley (1990 full dress geezer glide) for a
few bottles of likker . Mostly on winding *GON2L's with beautiful scenery .
*good 'ol numbered 2 lanes

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 5:37:53 PM7/27/21
On 27/07/2021 21:45, Michael Trew wrote:

> I've heard that before as well.  I never knew that the older eggs were
> better to boil, however.. interesting.

_Much_ easier to peel.
And poached eggs are better with the freshest eggs you can get.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 27, 2021, 5:45:21 PM7/27/21
Still warm from the chicken's butt if I time it right.

Hank Rogers

Jul 27, 2021, 5:45:39 PM7/27/21
I wish you hadn't started that. I've been known to eat a dozen
deviled eggs in a sitting. Wife is just as bad, so they don't last
long around here.

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 5:45:56 PM7/27/21
That's certainly how I buy them in Scotland - stacked on an open shelf.
Except when I get them from an 'honesty box' down the road. A number of
my neighbours raise chickens, and put their excess production in boxes
at the roadside, with a little tin to put your payment in.

Bryan Simmons

Jul 27, 2021, 5:55:07 PM7/27/21
I do not like Satan's eggs. I do not like Satan's ham.
I do not like them on a plate. I do not like it in a can.

--Bryan

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 5:56:07 PM7/27/21
When I worked at the University of Edinburgh, I used to get freshly-laid
eggs from the Scottish Agricultural College - still pretty warm, and
very tasty.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 27, 2021, 6:06:22 PM7/27/21
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:56:02 +0100, S Viemeister
<firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>On 27/07/2021 22:45, Bruce 3.0 wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 22:37:48 +0100, S Viemeister
>> <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>>> _Much_ easier to peel.
>>> And poached eggs are better with the freshest eggs you can get.
>>
>> Still warm from the chicken's butt if I time it right.
>>
>When I worked at the University of Edinburgh, I used to get freshly-laid
>eggs from the Scottish Agricultural College - still pretty warm, and
>very tasty.

I guess they're difficult to peel, but I tend to fry them anyway.
Maybe I should try poaching.

S Viemeister

Jul 27, 2021, 6:18:29 PM7/27/21
Super-fresh poached eggs are lovely. Even a few days later - not so much.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 27, 2021, 6:30:43 PM7/27/21
On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 23:18:24 +0100, S Viemeister
Our hens lay a few hours after our breakfast time, but I can use
yesterday's eggs.

Lucretia Borgia

Jul 27, 2021, 7:51:45 PM7/27/21
Too true.

Lucretia Borgia

Jul 27, 2021, 7:53:02 PM7/27/21
Good - all the more for us!

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 1:14:49 AM7/28/21
That doesn't work with you ;)

Sorry -- I'm done now - lol

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 1:15:54 AM7/28/21
I wish we had stuff like that around here. I don't think people are
honest or caring enough in my region to do that. Probably not in this
whole country.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 1:18:19 AM7/28/21
Why don't you agree with her method? I very rarely make them, but I use
an older recipe, similar to that one, but without all of the fancy
garnishes. The only "garnish" is paprika. I also use powdered mustard
instead of liquid... I don't think I use vinegar either. Grandma makes
them with some horseradish... I like the bite that gives them.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 1:20:24 AM7/28/21
Yes, I knew the last part. The first time I tried to make poached eggs,
they weren't that fresh... a fair portion of the egg white was little
scraps floating... most of that was fished into the cat's dish.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 1:22:34 AM7/28/21
On 7/27/2021 4:59 PM, heyjoe wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 20:17:17 -0000 (UTC)
> in Message-ID:<news:sdn58d$ebf$1...@dont-email.me>
> heyjoe wrote :
>
>> At home, prepping to hard boil a half dozen
>
> Goodness! Summer is back with a vengence. Headed for the mid nineties
> and heat index around 105F. Finished egg salad, potato salad and
> pimento cheese yesterday. No more cooking until it cools down to
> seasonal temps.
>
> Well . . . maybe deviled eggs in the morning. Those sound pretty good
> right now.

Maybe I'm odd, but I love it hot. I like how it feels when it's like 90
out... I was enjoying high 80's today. That being said, I enjoy it,
even when home -- if I'm stationary. When I'm up and moving, if the
humidity is a bit high like it was today... yuck. I sweat miserably then.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 28, 2021, 2:13:30 AM7/28/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:14:46 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
But that's good. 2 lines separated by an empty line. Nobody's going to
stop reading that halfway because they're getting tired.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2021, 5:12:47 AM7/28/21
I generally use a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2021, 5:15:00 AM7/28/21
Yeah. That's why I usually devil just two or three eggs at a time.
My husband doesn't like them, so I get them all.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 28, 2021, 5:20:56 AM7/28/21
On Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 1:18:19 AM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 7/27/2021 4:29 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> That's for dang sure.
> >>
> >> They're great in tuna salad, egg salad, potato salad, on salads,
> >> and just to eat.
> >
> > Deviled eggs. Dang, I'm starting to crave them. One of the food web sites
> > I visit featured them recently. I don't agree with her method, but she put the
> > idea in my head.
> > <https://smittenkitchen.com/>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> Why don't you agree with her method? I very rarely make them, but I use
> an older recipe, similar to that one, but without all of the fancy
> garnishes.

Vinegar. Vinegar plus Dijon is too much.

At least she doesn't use pickle relish or juice. That's why I don't eat anybody
else's deviled eggs.

I don't use a recipe. I just mix in what I know it needs.

> The only "garnish" is paprika. I also use powdered mustard
> instead of liquid... I don't think I use vinegar either. Grandma makes
> them with some horseradish... I like the bite that gives them.

I "garnish" with cayenne.

Cindy Hamilton

Gary

Jul 28, 2021, 7:44:31 AM7/28/21
On 7/27/2021 4:43 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 7/27/2021 2:03 PM, Snag wrote:

>>> I should think Walmart would be low-hanging fruit for USDA enforcement.

>>> Evaporation through the shell?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Could be . A lot of people don't know that there is a coating on eggs
>> that prevents that . That coating also helps preserve the eggs - they
>> don't need to be refrigerated until they've been washed . We just leave
>> them out on the counter , sometimes for up to 3 weeks with no spoiled
>> ones yet .
>
> I've heard that. I don't understand why they wash that off in the US.
> I've been told that in Europe eggs are like that; just left on the counter.

Same thing with fresh grown potatoes. Don't wash off the dried dirt
until it's time to cook them. They last a long time that way.
Grocery stores sell them washed now and they don't last so long.

I remember a long time ago when white potatoes (at least) came in a
paper bag with a mesh front. They were coated with dirt.

Gary

Jul 28, 2021, 7:45:02 AM7/28/21
How many eggs do you get a day, on average? I should also ask how many
chickens do you have. Is it basically one a day per laying hen?

Gary

Jul 28, 2021, 7:49:10 AM7/28/21
On 7/27/2021 4:37 PM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 21:07:15 +0100, S Viemeister
> <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>
>> On 27/07/2021 20:32, Janet wrote:
>>> In article <ijo5th-...@anthive.com>, song...@anthive.com says...

>>> The air sac gets larger as the egg ages. So large sacs indicate old
>>> eggs. You can test the age of eggs by putting one in a glass of water,
>>> if its fresh it lies on the bottom. If it's stale the large air sac
>>> makes it float.
>>>
>> Yes, my mother taught me the water trick. It does work.
>
> Floating eggs indicate spoilage.
> https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/cooking-tips-tutorials/a32415535/egg-float-water-test/

That's what I've always heard
- fresh if they lay on their sides in water
- getting old if they stay on the bottom but just the tips
- if they float don't eat them

I've tested older eggs before but never got a floater.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 28, 2021, 8:00:38 AM7/28/21
4 hens and an aging rooster. The hens lay 2 eggs per day on average.
As a group, I mean :) It seems mainly age related how many they lay.
They're a very happy crew. We only lock them up at night. During the
day, they're all over the place.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 28, 2021, 9:31:09 AM7/28/21
Plenty of them in the more rural areas. We had a few not far from me in
CT. You won't find them in the cities though, just the back roads.

When the gardens start producing heavily in summer I've even seen "free"
stuff.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 28, 2021, 9:35:02 AM7/28/21
Never actually tested eggs but over the years, boiled many. Never had a
floater.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 11:29:45 AM7/28/21
I try to break up into 4 line paragraphs if I can help it. I agree,
solid run-on columns are painful.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 11:32:22 AM7/28/21
I learned recently that some paprika has basically no taste, and just
"looks pretty". Yes, I've never heard of vinegar, nor do I use any kind
of relish. I knew someone that put sweet relish on them once... the
bread/butter kind; that was just awful.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 11:33:03 AM7/28/21
On 7/28/2021 7:48 AM, Gary wrote:
Yes, I've never seen one really float. If it did, I would throw it out
while boiling it.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 11:34:29 AM7/28/21
How big is your property? At least where they roam. I was really
thinking about a few backyard chickens for a while, and was reading into
it. I heard they need gravel to peck at also. Feel free to share tips
if you care to. I very seriously might get some next year.

Dave Smith

Jul 28, 2021, 12:21:37 PM7/28/21
Paprika does have a flavour. Some of it is mild and most people have it
hanging around for so long it has lost it's zing. There are also hotter
and smoked paprikas.

Sheldon Martin

Jul 28, 2021, 12:33:39 PM7/28/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:34:26 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
A lot of people here keep chickens, some keep pet roosters. They can
require a lot of work and unless kept well fenced the preditors will
get them. Eggs are cheap to buy.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 28, 2021, 3:40:02 PM7/28/21
We have a huge lemon tree with way more lemons than 2 people could
use. I wouldn't mind giving them away but then I have to walk to the
road a couple of minutes, put a box out, keep an eye on the lemons in
case they're going off, and replace them with fresh ones in time.
Before I know it, I'm a lemon manager. Same with mandarins.

Michael Trew

Jul 28, 2021, 3:43:18 PM7/28/21
It would be more for a hobby/pet than for eggs; I imagine one might be
lucky to break even on cost for eggs with a backyard chickens.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 28, 2021, 3:49:45 PM7/28/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:34:26 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:

We once had a broody hen that got fed up with me stealing eggs from
under her. She moved to the empty property across the road to have
babies undisturbed. Our rooster visited her every day, with all the
other hens in tow. Across the bloody street, where people go 60 mph.

Anyway, they now use an acre or so. They don't go far. We feed them
regular chicken feed in the evening and during the day, they eat
anything they find.

Bruce 3.0

Jul 28, 2021, 3:50:38 PM7/28/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 12:33:33 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
Our hens are a lot happier than your factory hens. Not that you care.

Bryan Simmons

Jul 28, 2021, 3:52:31 PM7/28/21
On Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 2:40:02 PM UTC-5, Bruce 3.0 wrote:

> We have a huge lemon tree with way more lemons than 2 people could
> use. I wouldn't mind giving them away but then I have to walk to the
> road a couple of minutes, put a box out, keep an eye on the lemons in
> case they're going off, and replace them with fresh ones in time.
> Before I know it, I'm a lemon manager. Same with mandarins.

I could happily eat a kilo of mandarins every day, maybe two.

--Bryan

Ophelia

Jul 28, 2021, 4:14:59 PM7/28/21
=====
Awwww:)

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 28, 2021, 7:57:02 PM7/28/21
On 2021-07-28, Bruce 3.0 <Bruce...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> We have a huge lemon tree with way more lemons than 2 people could
> use. I wouldn't mind giving them away but then I have to walk to the
> road a couple of minutes, put a box out, keep an eye on the lemons in
> case they're going off, and replace them with fresh ones in time.
> Before I know it, I'm a lemon manager. Same with mandarins.

A Marxist wouldn't have your selfish attitude. "From each according to
their ability. To each according to their need". I'm shocked at your
lack of sympathy for your neighbors. You're a monster!

P. Roglic

Jul 28, 2021, 8:01:07 PM7/28/21
On 28 Jul 2021 23:56:56 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
But being a lemon manager is beyond my ability, so I'm exempt.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 28, 2021, 8:16:17 PM7/28/21
On 2021-07-27, Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Deviled eggs. Dang, I'm starting to crave them. One of the food web sites
> I visit featured them recently. I don't agree with her method, but she put the
> idea in my head.
><https://smittenkitchen.com/>

If I read the smitten link correctly, that's just the way we make 'em.
Boil eggs, chop and add mayo. The finished product is quite eggy,
and the mayo adds just the right amount of salt.
Slather on white bread. To make it hoity-toity, toss in some salad
shrimp. Hmmm...my wife says we've never used shrimp. I'll try some soon.

leo

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 28, 2021, 8:36:47 PM7/28/21
On 2021-07-28, Bruce 3.0 <Bruce...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Our hens are a lot happier than your factory hens. Not that you care.

Here's a rhetorical question. Neither you nor I know the answer. Is it
better to have existed for two months than never to have been born at all?
Factories generate a lot of chicks that would never have been born
without them.:

P. Roglic

Jul 28, 2021, 8:44:30 PM7/28/21
On 29 Jul 2021 00:36:42 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
They would never have suffered their horrible lives without the
factories and the barbaric egg consumers. No, sir, you don't weasel
your way out of the accusation of animal abuse with that one.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 28, 2021, 10:45:32 PM7/28/21
On 2021-07-29, P Roglic <Bruc...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> They would never have suffered their horrible lives without the
> factories and the barbaric egg consumers. No, sir, you don't weasel
> your way out of the accusation of animal abuse with that one.

So again, you know nothing but your head's on fire. You cannot answer
the question. You only think you can.

Leonard Blaisdell

Jul 28, 2021, 10:49:28 PM7/28/21
On 2021-07-29, P Roglic <Bruc...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> But being a lemon manager is beyond my ability, so I'm exempt.

I surprised that your wife hasn't put you out in a basket by the road.
Should I email her?

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 12:38:33 AM7/29/21

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 12:38:53 AM7/29/21
Sorry... but what the hell is a kilo?

P. Roglic

Jul 29, 2021, 12:40:14 AM7/29/21
On 29 Jul 2021 02:45:25 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
You introduced your question (that you snipped) with "Here's a
rhetorical question." Rhetorical implies that you don't want or need
an answer.

P. Roglic

Jul 29, 2021, 12:41:31 AM7/29/21
On 29 Jul 2021 02:49:23 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
:)

It's not so much beyond my ability in an intellectual sense, but I'm
busy enough without distributing lemons among the needy.

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 12:42:03 AM7/29/21
I've heard that they are great pest control. Of course, my lot is
nowhere near that big, but the road beside my house is basically not
used, except for a few houses on the street. Perhaps next year. I
think the neighborhood kids would have fun with them!

P. Roglic

Jul 29, 2021, 12:56:08 AM7/29/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:38:31 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
That's very mellow and goody two-shoes. I bet they had a wild
threesome after the recording.

P. Roglic

Jul 29, 2021, 12:57:01 AM7/29/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:38:51 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
Ah, you're from over the hills and far away. A kilo is roughly 2 lbs.

P. Roglic

Jul 29, 2021, 12:58:41 AM7/29/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 00:42:01 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
If they're going to roam, you might want a rooster too. Hens can be
oblivious to danger and the rooster will be their bodyguard. Very
noisy in the early morning, though.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 29, 2021, 4:44:56 AM7/29/21
Sounds like you're talking about egg salad rather than deviled eggs.

I'd never add shrimp, but I almost always add finely minced onion,
celery, and radish. Lots of salt and a decent amount of pepper.

Back in the day, I'd put alfalfa or radish sprouts on the sandwich
instead of the minced radish.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 29, 2021, 4:46:32 AM7/29/21
A kilogram.

Cindy Hamilton

Mike Duffy

Jul 29, 2021, 8:28:39 AM7/29/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 02:45:25 +0000, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> You cannot answer the question. You only think you can.

After whining about his alleged 'troll' making him change him nym, he
cannot even explain why he keeps changing it now. Probably he's just
gearing up for another orgy of forging & whining. Look out everyone!

Graham

Jul 29, 2021, 9:06:15 AM7/29/21
IME if you had a surplus, many others did at the same time.

Sheldon Martin

Jul 29, 2021, 12:52:22 PM7/29/21
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:43:15 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
Chickens need to be fed, chicken feed costs... and attracts rodents.

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 29, 2021, 12:56:11 PM7/29/21
On Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 3:43:18 PM UTC-4, Michael Trew wrote:

> It would be more for a hobby/pet than for eggs; I imagine one might be
> lucky to break even on cost for eggs with a backyard chickens.

We had a guy at work whose kids had chickens. He brought in extra
eggs and charged $3 per dozen. I don't think he was making out like
a bandit on them, either.

Cindy Hamilton

GM

Jul 29, 2021, 1:13:00 PM7/29/21
And can spread salmonella...

--
GM

Bruce 3.1

Jul 29, 2021, 2:34:05 PM7/29/21
I have explained it. That you don't understand it, doesn't mean I
didn't explain it, dumbass.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 29, 2021, 2:41:47 PM7/29/21
Some but not all. More people have orange trees.

GM

Jul 29, 2021, 3:26:00 PM7/29/21
And she has yet to apologize to Hank...Hank was unfortunately caught in Miss Bwuthie's trolling "crossfire"...

--
GM

Bruce 3.1

Jul 29, 2021, 3:32:19 PM7/29/21
Poor Hank couldn't post his ass stories through AIOE anymore. I feel
so sorry for him. A hundred tiny violins aren't enough to express my
sadness :)

Hank Rogers

Jul 29, 2021, 3:56:11 PM7/29/21
Well, he did apologize for forging dave smith. He hates his guts,
but not quite as much as me.

Much more than me, he owes EVERYONE an apology for the whining,
sniping, and butt sniffing he has always done.

I wish he had some self respect too.

GM

Jul 29, 2021, 4:15:02 PM7/29/21
Even a lowly crawling worm has a far stronger moral fiber than Miss Bwuthie, lol...

At the age of 60 she's prolly still being breastfed by her mudder...

<chuckle>

--
GM

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 11:55:26 PM7/29/21
Sorry; thanks.

Was that a Led Zeppelin reference?

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 11:55:53 PM7/29/21
On 7/29/2021 12:56 AM, P. Roglic wrote:
Wait... that's a lot of Mandarin oranges in a day... lol

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 11:56:45 PM7/29/21
I want orange and lemon trees!

Full size ones... I do have a bonsai orange tree that makes little tiny
oranges.

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 11:57:26 PM7/29/21
On 7/29/2021 12:56 AM, P. Roglic wrote:
Gah! Quit trying to ruin my childhood.. ugh

Michael Trew

Jul 29, 2021, 11:58:00 PM7/29/21
On 7/29/2021 4:44 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> Back in the day, I'd put alfalfa or radish sprouts on the sandwich
> instead of the minced radish.

Alfalfa hay? Like what guinea pigs and rabbits eat?

Michael Trew

Jul 30, 2021, 12:00:17 AM7/30/21
Yes, I think my neighbors would absolutely hate me if I had a rooster.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 30, 2021, 12:13:25 AM7/30/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:55:52 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
lol, yes

Bruce 3.1

Jul 30, 2021, 12:16:15 AM7/30/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:56:44 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
wrote:
I'm not the biggest fan of citrus, but the trees were here when we
moved in. I mollycoddled one runt mandarin tree into adulthood. Its
mandarins make the best juice. It's almost as thick as mango juice.

Bruce 3.1

Jul 30, 2021, 12:16:42 AM7/30/21
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:57:25 -0400, Michael Trew <mt99...@ymail.com>
lol, sorry