Onion Ring Recipes

Z Pegasus

Jun 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/28/95
.#200
k@> From: k...@mvujc.mv.att.com (-mcvey k.e.)
k@> My husband is an absolute fan of onion rings and we are trying to find a
k@> great recipe to use at home. We don't make these very often because of
k@> the fat content, but when we do, what a treat!

Here are a few for you to try - hope you like them!
Bobbi

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: Onion Rings
Categories: Appetizers, Vegetables, Barbecue
Yield: 8 servings

8 ea Large onions
1 1/2 c All purpose flour
4 tb Corn meal
4 tb Onion powder
2 ts Salt
1 1/2 c Milk
1 ea Large egg
1/2 c Water
1 tb Orange food color

Combine flour, corn meal, onion powder, salt, milk, egg and water in a
large mixing bowl and stir well and there are no lumps. Add food
color if you prefer a nicer color to the finished batter. Slice the
onions thick (about 1/2"). Use only the outer rings for best
appearance and dip into batter. Drop coated rings into deep fryer
and cook until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve. Great
with Bar-B-Que!
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: Maui Onion Rings
Categories: Appetizers, Hawaiian
Yield: 4 servings

1 1/4 c Flour
1 tb Cornstarch
Salt, cracked black pepper
12 oz Killian's red or other ale
3 Maui onions
Oil for deep frying

Combine flour, cornstarch and salt and pepper to taste in large bowl.

Whisk in ale until smooth. Cut onions into 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick
slices. Heat oil in deep fryer to 400F. Coat onion rings with batter.

Gently add to hot oil without crowding pan and cook until golden
brown.

Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

Created by: Michael's, Santa Monica

(C) 1992 The Los Angeles Times
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: French Onion Rings
Categories: Appetizers, French
Yield: 6 servings

2 lg White onions
1 c Beer
1/4 ts Salt
1 ts Baking powder
1 1/4 c Flour
1 tb Oil
1 Beaten egg

Slice onions into 1/4 inch slices. Separate into rings. In a large
bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, egg, beer and oil. Blend
until smooth. Dip onion rings into batter to coat well, fry in hot
oil at 375 degrees until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: Beer-Batter Onion Rings
Categories: Side dishes, Vegetables
Yield: 2 servings

1 1/3 c All-purpose flour
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1 tb Oil
2 Egg yolks
3/4 c Beer
2 lg White onions
-sliced 1/4-in thick
Oil for deep frying

MIX THE FLOUR, SALT, PEPPER, oil and yolks together. Gradually whisk
in the beer. Refrigerate the batter 3 1/2 hours to rest before using.
Slice onions, and dip them in the batter. Deep-fry in 375F oil until
golden brown.

This batter also works well on other vegetables besides onion
rings--and it's great on fish, too.

PETER KUMP - PRODIGY GUEST CHEFS COOKBOOK
MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02
Title: Fried Onion Rings or Zucchini
Categories: Vegetables, Main dishes
Yield: 6 servings

2 c Self-rising flour
2/3 c Yellow cornmeal
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 3/4 c Milk
1 Egg, beaten
6 lg Onions, peeled, cut into
-1/4"
Slices, and separated into
-rings,
Or 6 large zucchini, cut
-into 1/2"
Slices
Vegetable oil

"Use yellow cornmeal if you can find it. East of the Mississippi, the
favored color is white. The closer you get to Texas, the easier it is
to find yellow in supermarkets."

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat in milk and egg. Let
stand 5 minutes. Add onion or zucchini slices to batter in batches
and toss with hands until vegetables are well coated. When you are
ready to fry them, pick up vegetables, allowing excess batter to
slide back into bowl. Places slices immediately in hot oil (375
degrees), and deep-fry until browned, turning once. Drain in a
colander, and sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.

Note: Don't drain on paper towels; the fried food will get soggy.
Also, try not to stack them tightly. Air needs to circulate around
fried food so it will remain crisp.

From: "Original Whistle Stop Cafe Cookbook" Posted by: Debbie
Carlson - Cooking
MMMMM

-- SPEED 1.40 #1992: Types of sneezes: Chocolate: Herrr-shey!

EVQWK 7.00.07 (Registered)

Stan Horwitz

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
Tony & Sharon Crosetto (cros...@halcyon.com) wrote:
: z...@fybits.com (Z Pegasus) wrote:

: > Hey there! The secret to any recipe for onion rings regardless
: of the batter content, is to freeze the batter dipped onions till
: frozen. Then dipp frozen into the hot oil.

I don't think so. When I worked for a small takeout seafood restaurant, I
was often the one who got stuck making our home made onion rings. We would
take the largest white onions we could find and slice them into rings about
half an inch thing. We would drown them in a tub full of egg wash (just
milk and eggs). Next, we covered them thoroughly with flour, let them dry,
then put them back in the egg wash briefly then put them in corn meal. We
would then repeat the whole process. When time permitted, we would let the
onion rings dry before frying them and they were stored in our refridgerated
display case, but that is no where nera freezing them. People loved our
onion rings' taste!

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

Judy Borus

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95

> I don't think so. When I worked for a small takeout seafood restaurant, I
> was often the one who got stuck making our home made onion rings. We would
> take the largest white onions we could find and slice them into rings about
> half an inch thing. We would drown them in a tub full of egg wash (just
> milk and eggs). Next, we covered them thoroughly with flour, let them dry,
> then put them back in the egg wash briefly then put them in corn meal. We
> would then repeat the whole process. When time permitted, we would let the
> onion rings dry before frying them and they were stored in our refridgerated
> display case, but that is no where nera freezing them. People loved our
> onion rings' taste!

Stan - no salt? no pepper? Are you sure? Judy

--
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (B. Russell)

Tony & Sharon Crosetto

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
z...@fybits.com (Z Pegasus) wrote:

> Hey there! The secret to any recipe for onion rings regardless
of the batter content, is to freeze the batter dipped onions till
frozen. Then dipp frozen into the hot oil.

Sharon