A LOT of SPAM in this this AM!

John Kuthe

Jan 24, 2023, 7:55:04 AM1/24/23
FUCK SPAM! Spammers DIE!

John Kuthe...

Bryan Simmons

Jan 24, 2023, 1:23:28 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 6:55:04 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> FUCK SPAM! Spammers DIE!

Folks who post about shaving their balls should DIE.
I don't understand why everyone here doesn't wish
that you were dead. I think they just feel sorry for
you because you are mentally ill.

"[John Kuthe] has mental illness which all can
see."
--cshenk, in rec.food.cooking, Jan 23, 2023, 1:56:52 PM

"It's obvious to everyone that John [Kuthe] has
a mental illness (except for John)."
--Michael Trew, in rec.food.cooking, Jan 19, 2023, 9:18:25 PM

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 1:25:49 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:55:01 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
<johnk...@gmail.com> wrote:

>FUCK SPAM! Spammers DIE!

I get one spam email per hour.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Mauldin

Jan 24, 2023, 2:17:05 PM1/24/23
Bryan Simmons wrote:
> Folks who post about shaving their balls should DIE.
>
> --Bryan

You say that about all of your Usenet ex-lovers.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 2:28:42 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 12:25:49 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> I get one spam email per hour.
>
> Bruce

I get about four per day.

(I hope I haven't just jinxed myself and now it will come rolling in.)

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 2:46:41 PM1/24/23
Once you're on the lists that spammers use...

They tend to go through themes. For months they wanted me to buy a
drone. Lately it's often about play balls for dogs.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 4:10:33 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 1:46:41 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >I get about four per day.
> >
> >(I hope I haven't just jinxed myself and now it will come rolling in.)
> Once you're on the lists that spammers use...
>
> They tend to go through themes. For months they wanted me to buy a
> drone. Lately it's often about play balls for dogs.
>
> Bruce

Yes, I'm getting some "You've won a Keurig coffee maker" or "You've won
a Makita drill" or "You've won a gift certificate to (pick out a store)." All
get reported to SpamCop.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 24, 2023, 5:03:05 PM1/24/23
I don't see much, if any, spam in my e-mail. Perhaps my husband has the
filters set on "nuke"; perhaps my ISP does a good job of filtering.

My mother (who has signed up for a bunch of stuff and thus has had her
e-mail address sold repeatedly) gets about 20 per hour.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 5:09:01 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:10:29 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 1:46:41 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:28:38 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I get about four per day.
>> >
>> >(I hope I haven't just jinxed myself and now it will come rolling in.)
>> Once you're on the lists that spammers use...
>>
>> They tend to go through themes. For months they wanted me to buy a
>> drone. Lately it's often about play balls for dogs.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>Yes, I'm getting some "You've won a Keurig coffee maker" or "You've won
>a Makita drill" or "You've won a gift certificate to (pick out a store)." All
>get reported to SpamCop.

Ah yes, if I'd really won all the things they say I've won, I'd be
rich.

Maybe I should look into SpamCop.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Sqwertz

Jan 24, 2023, 6:19:33 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:28:38 -0800 (PST),
I get about 1 every 4 weeks from some Mexican spammers.

I don't go sticking my email address into every slutty website I
come across.

But the spam calls on my mobile phones have increased to about
8/week when 3 months ago it was near nil. I blame that on the
FCC's new mandate that phone companies implement the STIR/SHAKEN
protocol that was 3.5 years in the making. It was going to
practically eliminate unsolicited spam calls. It's about 85%
implemented at the phone companies and bogus calls have increased
850%.

John's probably emailed every porn site on Earth asking for more
Amber Smalls videos.

-sw

Bryan Simmons

Jan 24, 2023, 7:01:16 PM1/24/23
Angel Smalls. She's white, like an angel. That
makes for better contrast with the large, swarthy
men that Kuthe likes.

> -sw

--Bryan

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 24, 2023, 7:44:29 PM1/24/23
I was getting a lot of those "you've won" for a while. There was a
link to unsubscribe but I'd not touch that, it just verifies you have a
legitimate email.

Twice I'd gotten unsolicited emails from local real estate agents. I
don't know this for sure, but I think they have been getting a lot of
emails from sites that ask for your address when you go to them.

John Kuthe

Jan 24, 2023, 8:41:05 PM1/24/23
And she thanks the BBC DPing her too!

How can you say she's being abused? She's a PAID PORN ACTRESS!

John Kuthe...

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 9:25:25 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 4:03:05 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I don't see much, if any, spam in my e-mail. Perhaps my husband has the
> filters set on "nuke"; perhaps my ISP does a good job of filtering.

I never used to receive any spam until my first supplemental Medicare policy was
through AARP. The garbage came rolling in for any 'health appliance' imaginable.
GRRRRRRRRRRR

> My mother (who has signed up for a bunch of stuff and thus has had her
> e-mail address sold repeatedly) gets about 20 per hour.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The four I receive daily make me looney so I'd imagine 20 would send me around
the bend.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 24, 2023, 9:29:00 PM1/24/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 4:09:01 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:10:29 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I'm getting some "You've won a Keurig coffee maker" or "You've won
> >a Makita drill" or "You've won a gift certificate to (pick out a store)." All
> >get reported to SpamCop.
> >
> Ah yes, if I'd really won all the things they say I've won, I'd be
> rich.

Or need a warehouse to store all those 'winnings.'

> Maybe I should look into SpamCop.
>
> Bruce

I've had an account with them for over 20 years and I'm quite pleased with
the results. Sometimes it might take a few days for the lowlifes to get the
message then they disappear and no longer gift me with their offerings.

Sqwertz

Jan 24, 2023, 10:20:55 PM1/24/23
Huh. I never knew "swarthy" meant "dark-skinned" until just now.
I've certainly heard it before but realized I didn't actually know
quite what it meant.

Learn something new every day (if you care to make the effort).
Looks like it's origin isn't that much different from "swertz".
Where's my shoe polish...

-sw

Bruce

Jan 24, 2023, 10:59:01 PM1/24/23
On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 18:28:55 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 4:09:01 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:10:29 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
>> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, I'm getting some "You've won a Keurig coffee maker" or "You've won
>> >a Makita drill" or "You've won a gift certificate to (pick out a store)." All
>> >get reported to SpamCop.
>> >
>> Ah yes, if I'd really won all the things they say I've won, I'd be
>> rich.
>>
>Or need a warehouse to store all those 'winnings.'
>>
>> Maybe I should look into SpamCop.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>I've had an account with them for over 20 years and I'm quite pleased with
>the results. Sometimes it might take a few days for the lowlifes to get the
>message then they disappear and no longer gift me with their offerings.

Do you forward your spam emails to SpamCop? Do you need an account
with them?

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

Michael Trew

Jan 25, 2023, 12:31:40 AM1/25/23
On 1/24/2023 18:19, Sqwertz wrote:

> But the spam calls on my mobile phones have increased to about
> 8/week when 3 months ago it was near nil. I blame that on the
> FCC's new mandate that phone companies implement the STIR/SHAKEN
> protocol that was 3.5 years in the making. It was going to
> practically eliminate unsolicited spam calls. It's about 85%
> implemented at the phone companies and bogus calls have increased
> 850%.

I get about one spam call per month on my cell. I don't give it to
anyone, ever, basically. Never to any company or service. The number
has been active since 2005 from a small town local exchange, who
probably hadn't sold that many mobile phones yet circa 2005. Basically,
I think that I'm the first person to have owned this number, so I'm
lucky to not get spam calls.

My land line is a very different story. Same exchange for ages, so
paying for a non-listing is a moot point. I don't get a terrible amount
of spam calls on the home phone, but just enough to be annoying.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 25, 2023, 4:50:33 AM1/25/23
I can't get her to mark them as junk. She just deletes them. What the
hell--she doesn't have anything else to do.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bryan Simmons

Jan 25, 2023, 4:51:33 AM1/25/23
But wasn't she "an overweight kinda cute mess"??
Your mind is dying.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 25, 2023, 12:55:04 PM1/25/23
> Cindy Hamilton

I always have hopes when I send these garbage e-mails to SpamCop and SpamCop
does what it does and notifies however many other domains, it results in the spammers
being electrocuted the next time they send out spam. No such luck though, but I can
dream.

Gary

Jan 26, 2023, 9:06:34 AM1/26/23
On 1/24/2023 5:08 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:10:29 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 1:46:41 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

>>> Once you're on the lists that spammers use...
>>>
>>> They tend to go through themes. For months they wanted me to buy a
>>> drone. Lately it's often about play balls for dogs.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>> Yes, I'm getting some "You've won a Keurig coffee maker" or "You've won
>> a Makita drill" or "You've won a gift certificate to (pick out a store)." All
>> get reported to SpamCop.
>>
> Ah yes, if I'd really won all the things they say I've won, I'd be
> rich.

"Nigerian man found dead in his apartment with 14 million dollars. He'd
been trying to give it away for years, but no one responded to his
emails."

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 26, 2023, 6:20:34 PM1/26/23
On 2023-01-25, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> Huh. I never knew "swarthy" meant "dark-skinned" until just now.
> I've certainly heard it before but realized I didn't actually know
> quite what it meant.

If a swarthy man marries a ruddy woman, their kid will be a maroon.
I just came up with that! Is it racist?

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2023, 6:22:39 PM1/26/23
Maybe not, not you can bet that someone will go out of their way to be
offended.

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2023, 6:31:11 PM1/26/23
We should be talking about coconut macaroons! ;)

Jill

Bruce

Jan 26, 2023, 6:32:43 PM1/26/23
My dictionary says that a maroon is a bosneger. I'd better not
translate that into English.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2023, 6:59:31 PM1/26/23
The only email SPAM I get is some idiots using gmail accounts who think
I'm going to believe I "won" something and click on some link they sent.
I don't get very many but the gmail addy is the tell. Mark as JUNK
and move on.

Jill

jmcquown

Jan 26, 2023, 7:08:45 PM1/26/23
I don't get all that many SPAM emails but I just mark them as Junk and
move on. I know I haven't "won" anything. The return email addy's are
usually @gmail.com. Same as the people bombarding this ng with SPAM
crap lately.

I honestly don't know if reporting them to this SpamCop thing you've
mentioned does any good. Spammers nymshift.

Jill

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 26, 2023, 7:31:16 PM1/26/23
On 1/26/2023 6:32 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:22:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> If a swarthy man marries a ruddy woman, their kid will be a maroon.
>>> I just came up with that! Is it racist?
>>

>> Maybe not, not you can bet that someone will go out of their way to be
>> offended.
>
> My dictionary says that a maroon is a bosneger. I'd better not
> translate that into English.

You can buy one here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/302050378927

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2023, 7:43:37 PM1/26/23
On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 5:59:31 PM UTC-6, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> The only email SPAM I get is some idiots using gmail accounts who think
> I'm going to believe I "won" something and click on some link they sent.
> I don't get very many but the gmail addy is the tell. Mark as JUNK
> and move on.
>
> Jill

Oh yeah, I'd say 85% of my junk e-mail has a Gmail address attached
to it.

Bruce

Jan 26, 2023, 7:48:23 PM1/26/23

Bruce

Jan 26, 2023, 7:49:10 PM1/26/23
On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:59:23 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I move on, alright. Straight to the next spam email.

--
Bruce
<https://sd.keepcalms.com/i-w600/keep-calm-and-in-bruce-we-trust.jpg>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 26, 2023, 7:51:06 PM1/26/23
On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 6:08:45 PM UTC-6, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> I don't get all that many SPAM emails but I just mark them as Junk and
> move on. I know I haven't "won" anything. The return email addy's are
> usually @gmail.com. Same as the people bombarding this ng with SPAM
> crap lately.
>
> I honestly don't know if reporting them to this SpamCop thing you've
> mentioned does any good. Spammers nymshift.
>
> Jill

I visit two local news sites through Facebook, and I've been getting notices
in my Junk folder that someone has tried to sign into my account. I need
to verify through the spammer that it's really me. Uh yeah, sure. I'll just
jump right on that.

When I send off the properties of that spam mail and then get the link back
from SpamCop to finish reporting it, it's a slew of attached domains that
want to be notified of this junk e-mail. What these other domains are doing
with this information, I don't know. But after reporting for a few days, the
spam stops.

Dave Smith

Jan 26, 2023, 8:18:03 PM1/26/23
I get quite a few emails that appear to be from my internet provider but
the email address is a gmail account. I have to wonder if anyone is dumb
enough to provide their account information to such an obvious scam.

dsi1

Jan 26, 2023, 9:48:29 PM1/26/23
On Tuesday, January 24, 2023 at 6:55:04 AM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> FUCK SPAM! Spammers DIE!
>
> John Kuthe...

Air India is to ban passengers from drinking their own alcohol during international flights that they have bought at airport Duty Free stores in a bid to reduce disruptive behaviour following a spate of unruly passenger incidents.

The drinking ban is part of a new alcohol policy that has been rushed in following the now-infamous ‘pee-gate’ incident in which a drunken Business Class passenger urinated over an elderly passenger.

S Viemeister

Jan 27, 2023, 8:09:56 AM1/27/23
On 26/01/2023 23:32, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2023 18:22:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>> If a swarthy man marries a ruddy woman, their kid will be a maroon.
>>> I just came up with that! Is it racist?
>> Maybe not, not you can bet that someone will go out of their way to be
>> offended.
>
> My dictionary says that a maroon is a bosneger. I'd better not
> translate that into English.

Easy enough to figure that one out, even without googling.

Bruce

Jan 27, 2023, 1:46:22 PM1/27/23

jmcquown

Jan 27, 2023, 2:04:32 PM1/27/23
Sadly, some people do fall for such scams. In the past I've gotten some
allegedly from X fnty (they can't even spell Xfinity, aka Comcast)
saying my account has been closed but if I click the link... uh huh.
Not happening. They're all from gmail accounts. Even if the scammers
get wise and start using some other freebie email account, most
companies have their own domain names.

Jill

Michael Trew

Jan 27, 2023, 4:39:03 PM1/27/23
On 1/26/2023 19:51, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>> Jill
>
> I visit two local news sites through Facebook, and I've been getting notices
> in my Junk folder that someone has tried to sign into my account. I need
> to verify through the spammer that it's really me. Uh yeah, sure. I'll just
> jump right on that.
>
> When I send off the properties of that spam mail and then get the link back
> from SpamCop to finish reporting it, it's a slew of attached domains that
> want to be notified of this junk e-mail. What these other domains are doing
> with this information, I don't know. But after reporting for a few days, the
> spam stops.

I've never heard of those services. Do you have a link or an e-mail
address that you forward to in order to report them? How does it work?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 27, 2023, 6:39:35 PM1/27/23
On Friday, January 27, 2023 at 3:39:03 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:

> > When I send off the properties of that spam mail and then get the link back
> > from SpamCop to finish reporting it, it's a slew of attached domains that
> > want to be notified of this junk e-mail. What these other domains are doing
> > with this information, I don't know. But after reporting for a few days, the
> > spam stops.
> >
> I've never heard of those services. Do you have a link or an e-mail
> address that you forward to in order to report them? How does it work?

www.SpamCop.net is the site. You'll need to set up an account there.
Once you receive mail you'll need to submit it to them but what they need
are all the headers that you'll get when you click on "File" in your e-mail
program and copy all the headers and attach that to the spam e-mail you
are forwarding to them. Then you'll receive an e-mail from SpamCop to
click on the link they send you to finish reporting the spam to them.

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 9:22:54 AM1/28/23
Seems like a lot of extra work. All you have to do is click "delete" or
(with Thunderbird) mark it as "junk". :)

Jill

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 11:43:24 AM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 09:22:45 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
It would be nice if there was an authority that did something about
it, SpamCop or otherwise. Just marking it as junk doesn't do anything
about the problem.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 28, 2023, 2:04:51 PM1/28/23
Just marking them as junk removes them from your e-mail. They'll be back
the next day or next week and will continue to show up in your junk folder.
But I can accomplish copying their properties, forwarding it to SpamCop,
then deleting them in less than 30 seconds. Sometimes I get the notification
from SpamCop to click on the link they have provided to finish reporting in
7 seconds. Other times it might be 10 minutes before they send me the
completion link: what the hold up is, I haven't a clue.

jmcquown

Jan 28, 2023, 2:27:42 PM1/28/23
Yeah, they show up in the junk folder and I delete the junk folder. I
don't have to copy/paste properties and forward them to someone who then
asks me to verify that it is junk. That's all I'm saying.

Jill

Thomas Joseph

Jan 28, 2023, 2:30:31 PM1/28/23
bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> Folks who post about shaving their balls should DIE.
> I don't understand why everyone here doesn't wish
> that you were dead.

Once again this brings me to a question that has plagued
me for years: Can a person be wished to death? I'm talking
about group wishing. Hundreds, even thousands of people
gathered in the same setting, some from afar via zoom or
some other cyber service, a good portion of the world getting
together with one purpose, to wish John Kuthe to death. Could
it be done? Not just with Kuthe but with anyone? If enough
people are into the chant and they are sincere, can that vibe
carry over and have some kind of effect leading to the target's
death? You could assemble more death wishers if you're willing
to pay for the service. But it's not the same. Too mercenary, not
enough sincerity. But thousands of sincere death wishers chanting
someone's life away all at once, it could have an effect. But it can't
be a snipe here, a snipe there as takes place in this group. It must
be a concerted effort, an "On the count of 3" type thing where
everyone is on the same page and it's smoldering with an urgent
unquenchable thirst for the chant-fueled cancelation of Kuthe.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 2:41:48 PM1/28/23
It would be very much worth it if it really helped a bit, but I'm not
sure if it does.

Bruce

Jan 28, 2023, 2:42:30 PM1/28/23
On Sat, 28 Jan 2023 14:27:32 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
You don't understand.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 28, 2023, 3:06:33 PM1/28/23
Bruce wrote:

> It would be very much worth it if it really helped a bit, but I'm not
> sure if it does.

SPAM in a real mailbox is much worse. People have become addicted
to speed. Speed that ultimately takes them nowhere. Sure, I too don't
like a bunch of SPAM in my email box. Sometimes I let it bug me. But
in general it seems these people use some kind of time clock where they
cancel you off their list if you don't respond after a time. I just basically
put up with it. I don't like it but even more I don't like getting involved in
the techno aspects of trying to correct it. The jargon irritates me. It's
like instructions to a board game. A good example are the Sudoko
puzzles I used to do every day in the paper. Next to the puzzle it says,
"For help in solving Sudoko puzzles go to 'solvingsudoku' now. I would
never do it. Two reasons. First, if I learn how to more easily solve the
puzzles they will become too easy to do and I will need to spend extra
money to have extra special tough puzzles sent to me. Second and
even more important, I am afraid that their instructions on how to solve
the puzzles will be harder to figure out than the puzzles themselves.

Michael Trew

Jan 28, 2023, 8:22:34 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 14:27, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/28/2023 2:04 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>
>> Just marking them as junk removes them from your e-mail. They'll be back
>> the next day or next week and will continue to show up in your junk
>> folder.
>> But I can accomplish copying their properties, forwarding it to SpamCop,
>> then deleting them in less than 30 seconds.
>
> Yeah, they show up in the junk folder and I delete the junk folder. I
> don't have to copy/paste properties and forward them to someone who then
> asks me to verify that it is junk. That's all I'm saying.
>
> Jill

You're not picking up what Joan's putting down. When she reports it to
SpamCop, and put's that extra work in, it marks these people in a larger
database as "spam", so fewer spam winds up in the inbox for you to mark
as "junk", in the first place.

Michael Trew

Jan 28, 2023, 8:24:06 PM1/28/23
On 1/28/2023 15:06, Thomas Joseph wrote:>

> SPAM in a real mailbox is much worse.

Not really, so as long as the can is sealed. I can whip that up in to a
quick breakfast! Although, I'd prefer eggs in my real mailbox, since
eggs are more expensive than SPAM now.

Bryan Simmons

Jan 28, 2023, 9:07:33 PM1/28/23
You won't eat a medium rare beef tenderloin, but
you'll happily eat SPAM.

--Bryan

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 11:02:16 PM1/28/23
Once a month or so I'll have a SPAM sammich, they are a "treat"...

And for BRYAN, I'll have some PRINGLES with that sammich, too...

Oh, and WALMART "Great Value" mayo on the sammich...!!!

;-P

--
GM

GM

Jan 28, 2023, 11:05:37 PM1/28/23
There is a real merit in enjoying simple pleasures from time to time, BRYAN...!!!

I got two cans of SPAM in my Squallmart grocery order today...

😎

--
GM

Bryan Simmons

Jan 29, 2023, 6:36:54 AM1/29/23
And frequent assorted items from the takee-outee.
You eat gross shit.

> --
> GM

--Bryan

jmcquown

Jan 29, 2023, 7:53:05 AM1/29/23
I get what she's saying, Michael. What the heck, I'll give it a try. :)

Jill

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 1:54:47 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 07:52:55 -0500, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
Took a while, though.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 5:03:53 PM1/29/23
I haven't eaten that stuff since I was a kid. I was in an orphanage where
a daily morning staple was even worse - scrapple. Ok, maybe not even
worse but pretty creepy. They also served gigantic undercooked white
lima beans nearly every day. Everything served had to be eaten. They
would check your pockets. I can eat anything, but I have trouble with
lima beans, especially the big white ones, and especially undercooked.
My method to dispose of them was to get them out of the way first. I
would scoop all of them into my mouth, then close my eyes and shake
my head back and forth while mumbling to drown out the reality just a
bit as I chewed away at the creepy legumes and washing them down
with a glass of water. Only then could I eat the rest of my meal.

But really, I do believe SPAM in the actual mailbox is worse than on the
computer. You can't just delete it. Plus the huge ads, mostly from supermarkets -
I feel compelled to check between the huge pages to make sure I didn't lose
something that might be important - like the thousands of ads for burial
insurance aka final expenses I have received over the last few years. Funny
the way it evolved. In my 50s it was mainly mobility chair ads. The Rascal!
Then it went to life insurance. Then medical. And now the final expenses.
I'm not paying. Whatever county or state I'm in when I check out is going
to pay for it.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 5:08:36 PM1/29/23
GM wrote:

> Once a month or so I'll have a SPAM sammich, they are a "treat"...
>
> And for BRYAN, I'll have some PRINGLES with that sammich, too...
>
> Oh, and WALMART "Great Value" mayo on the sammich...!!!

I haven't had SPAM in many years but my memories of it are not good. But
I can imagine under the proper circumstances not only enjoying the stuff but
killing to get it depending on how hungry I am. Eating SPAM is seen as disgusting
by most foodies - until it becomes popular for whatever reason - yet let's face it,
it beats chasing food down on the run and nipping away at the flesh as it flees
in a panic. I wonder, did wild animals have to learn how to devour raw meat, bone,
and sinew without throwing up, or did we humans have to learn how to break
the raw meat routine and go with the cooked stuff.

Nem Tudom

Jan 29, 2023, 5:14:25 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 2:08 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:

> Eating SPAM is seen as disgusting
> by most foodies
Foodies who like Hawaiian food ("grindz") enjoy spam musubi. They're
actually pretty tasty.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 5:24:36 PM1/29/23
Nem Tudom wrote:

> > Eating SPAM is seen as disgusting by most foodies

> Foodies who like Hawaiian food ("grindz") enjoy spam musubi. They're
> actually pretty tasty.

Nem Tudom - sounds like the real name of a Dalai Lama type person.
Mysterious, weird, all knowing. Actually even though I said I remember
not liking SPAM and forcing puke-inducing lima beans down with water
to get them out of the way - even though I said those things I tend to
believe for real that any food can be good is made right - and bad if it's
made wrong. I think a lot of foods we can't eat as adults were not
properly prepared when we were kids. I think liver is a good example
Most people's first experience with the stuff is that it reminds them of
shoe leather. If you suggest they cook it less, as adults already opposed
to eating the stuff, naturally they are going to reject it. I enjoy liver cooked
medium rare. Chicken livers too. Yeah, there may be some foods that
chemically from birth we simply cannot tolerate for whatever reason. But
overall I would say how we feel about certain foods today - especially in
a negative way - was determined many years ago with their first and
possibly only encounter with them. I would try anything as I said yesterday,
and that includes even human meat as long as it's passed federal inspection.

dsi1

Jan 29, 2023, 5:43:27 PM1/29/23
When my wife and I first started dating, she called me "Mr. Spam Pants". Is that weird or what?

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 5:46:13 PM1/29/23
dsi1 wrote:

> When my wife and I first started dating, she called me "Mr. Spam Pants". Is that weird or what?

You mean you never asked her why? I can see it now, she's getting ready to
explain what it means, and you're waving your arms back and forth going, "No,
no, don't tell me - I enjoy the mystery of it."

"They call me SPAM Pants."

dsi1

Jan 29, 2023, 5:51:21 PM1/29/23
I guess it was because I love Spam sushi so much. She's Swedish, and she never heard of such a goofy thing. Where she comes from they make sushi out of salmon and big shrimps.

Bryan Simmons

Jan 29, 2023, 5:53:58 PM1/29/23
*In the Heat of the Night* would have been a whole
different movie if Sidney Poitier had said, "They call
me Mister Spam Pants."

--Bryan

GM

Jan 29, 2023, 5:58:37 PM1/29/23
"They call me MISTER PIBB...!!!"

🐸

--
GM

Bryan Simmons

Jan 29, 2023, 6:19:12 PM1/29/23
Then Rod Steiger says, "Yeah, right, and they call
me Dr. Pepper."

> --
> GM

--Bryan

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 6:26:05 PM1/29/23
And you called her Ms. Kimchee?

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jan 29, 2023, 6:37:59 PM1/29/23
On Sunday, January 29, 2023 at 5:19:12 PM UTC-6, bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> Then Rod Steiger says, "Yeah, right, and they call
> me Dr. Pepper."
>
> --Bryan

Dr Pepper has no period after the r in Dr, never has.

Bryan Simmons

Jan 29, 2023, 7:05:02 PM1/29/23
I don't think I'm likely to forget that. Popeyes, the
chicken joint, doesn't have an apostrophe.

--Bryan

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 29, 2023, 7:11:53 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 5:03 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:
> On Saturday, January 28, 2023 at 8:24:06 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 1/28/2023 15:06, Thomas Joseph wrote:>
>>>
>>> SPAM in a real mailbox is much worse.
>> Not really, so as long as the can is sealed. I can whip that up in to a
>> quick breakfast! Although, I'd prefer eggs in my real mailbox, since
>> eggs are more expensive than SPAM now.
>

> I haven't eaten that stuff since I was a kid. I was in an orphanage where
> a daily morning staple was even worse - scrapple. Ok, maybe not even
> worse but pretty creepy.

Had scrapple this morning. Habbersetts, one of the best brands. You
have to fry it to a bit crispy on the out side. I'll have it again,
probably Tuesday. Oh, a bit of ketchup is good on it. Yum.

They also served gigantic undercooked white> lima beans nearly every day.

That's creepy

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 29, 2023, 7:17:28 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 5:08 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:
> GM wrote:
>
>> Once a month or so I'll have a SPAM sammich, they are a "treat"...
>>
>> And for BRYAN, I'll have some PRINGLES with that sammich, too...
>>
>> Oh, and WALMART "Great Value" mayo on the sammich...!!!
>

> I haven't had SPAM in many years but my memories of it are not good. But
> I can imagine under the proper circumstances not only enjoying the stuff but
> killing to get it depending on how hungry I am. Eating SPAM is seen as disgusting
> by most foodies - until it becomes popular for whatever reason - yet let's face it,
> it beats chasing food down on the run and nipping away at the flesh as it flees
> in a panic. \\

I'll have some later this week. Last can, so I'll go to BJs to get
another six pack of it. Slice about 1/4" thick and fry it enough to get
a little sear on it.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 29, 2023, 7:23:48 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 5:24 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:
> Nem Tudom wrote:
>

>>> Eating SPAM is seen as disgusting by most foodies
>
>> Foodies who like Hawaiian food ("grindz") enjoy spam musubi. They're
>> actually pretty tasty.
>

> Nem Tudom - sounds like the real name of a Dalai Lama type person.
> Mysterious, weird, all knowing.

Opposite. Means I do not know.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 7:37:23 PM1/29/23
bryang...@gmail.com wrote:

> *In the Heat of the Night* would have been a whole
> different movie if Sidney Poitier had said, "They call
> me Mister Spam Pants."

Funny. I have seen documentaries on Portier where he is portrayed as
some kind of savior/braveheart type with a little trick they use where
they show some of Sidney's movie followed by shots of segregated
theaters in the South followed by moving shots of riots and other
chaos in the street as the narration about Sidney continued, giving
some viewers the feeling that Sidney himself was there on the spot
enduring the oppression. They also talk about how he opened doors
for other people. Like taking the roles he took was some kind of big
sacrifice when in fact thousands of black people including non actors
would gladly have taken his place. Anyway, I think those documentaries
are funny and also sickening the way they blend political style history
into everything.

"I want to thank Sidney Portier without whom this Oscar would never
have been possible. He opened the door for me. I pray to God that
receiving this award today inspires other minorities and genders to
reach for the stars no matter what. If I can do it you can too. Thank
you."

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 7:42:54 PM1/29/23
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Had scrapple this morning. Habbersetts, one of the best brands. You
> have to fry it to a bit crispy on the out side. I'll have it again,
> probably Tuesday. Oh, a bit of ketchup is good on it. Yum.
> They also served gigantic undercooked white> lima beans nearly every day.
> That's creepy

I did not like the scrapple but it was not puke inducing. Especially if it
was fried more. I can see why people like it. Cooking was not a main
concern in the orphanage kitchen. Garbage. But it was real food at
least and I could be alive today for eating it. Some industrial type foods
I actually learned to like and am able to see how some of it can be even
better made. We had chipped beef quite a bit - shit on a shingle. When
I posed my scrapple comment I thought of you because I believe you're
from eastern Pa, right? Pa taverns and bars were a bit different. Do you
remember deep friend pirogies at the bars? Steamed clams too. It was
common. Ok, so the pirogies were cheap commercial stuff, but still not
a bad snack at a bar.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 7:45:45 PM1/29/23
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I'll have some later this week. Last can, so I'll go to BJs to get
> another six pack of it. Slice about 1/4" thick and fry it enough to get
> a little sear on it.

At the orphanage food was strictly for eating. They served SPAM too but
it was never fried, just out of the can. They may have served some good
meals too but I don't remember them. Aside from the big lima beans I am
capable of seeing myself enjoying even foods I don't care for if they're made
by someone who knows what they're doing. I'm sure almost anything including
even shit from some animals could be made tasty in the right hands.

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 7:50:36 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 19:11:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> wrote:

>On 1/29/2023 5:03 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:

>>> Not really, so as long as the can is sealed. I can whip that up in to a
>>> quick breakfast! Although, I'd prefer eggs in my real mailbox, since
>>> eggs are more expensive than SPAM now.
>>

>> I haven't eaten that stuff since I was a kid. I was in an orphanage where
>> a daily morning staple was even worse - scrapple. Ok, maybe not even
>> worse but pretty creepy.
>
>Had scrapple this morning. Habbersetts, one of the best brands. You
>have to fry it to a bit crispy on the out side. I'll have it again,
>probably Tuesday. Oh, a bit of ketchup is good on it. Yum.

Habbersett Scrapple
Pork Stock, Pork, Pork Skins, Corn Meal, Wheat Flour, Pork Hearts,
Pork Livers, Pork Tongues, Salt and Spices.

So if anybody's missing a pig...

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 7:51:36 PM1/29/23
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > Nem Tudom - sounds like the real name of a Dalai Lama type person.
> > Mysterious, weird, all knowing.

> Opposite. Means I do not know.

You mean Dalai Lama means "I don't know.".......? Even if that is so, when
a person says "I don't know", they are saying the opposite, that they do
know. They know they don't know, the greatest kind of knowledge there
is.

I made this up. I was at a party where the discussion of "Is there a God
or not?" came up. Eight people said yes, without a doubt there is a God.
Another eight said no, without a doubt there is no God. It was a draw.
Disappointing. Then I spotted a guy passed out over in the corner. "Wake
that guy up", I cried, "let's get his opinion on this. He will be the deciding
vote."

They woke him up and asked him, "Is there a God or not?" He said, "I don't
know."

It hit me then that that was about the most intelligent response anyone
could possibly give and I told the crowd do. "This is an intelligent man",
I said, meaning every word of it. I wanted to get to know such an
intelligent man, so I approached him and extended my hand and asked
him what his name was. "I don't know", he said.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 29, 2023, 7:56:59 PM1/29/23
Bruce wrote:

> Habbersett Scrapple
> Pork Stock, Pork, Pork Skins, Corn Meal, Wheat Flour, Pork Hearts,
> Pork Livers, Pork Tongues, Salt and Spices.

> So if anybody's missing a pig...

Did you hear this one? A guy is driving past a farm when he sees a pig
with only 3 legs. It was moving around pretty good. He had never seen
that before. He pulled over and got out of his car. A farmer was nearby.
"Is this your pig?", the guy asked, curious about why it had only 3 legs.

"Yeah, that's my pig and it's one hell of a pig too", the farmer responded.
"A year ago our house was on fire and this pig woke us up and saved
all our lives."

"That's amazing", said the visitor, "but about the pig", before he was
interrupted by the farmer once again: "I'm telling you, this is one hell
of a pig. A few months ago my wife who cannot swim fell into that
pond over there and the pig jumped in and pulled her out before she
could drown. I'm telling you, that is one hell of a pig."

"Yeah", says the visitor, but", before being interrupted again with more
stories of the pig's talents.

Finally the visitor gets his question out: "Yeah, but why does the pig
have only 3 legs?", and the farmer says, "When you got a pig as good
as this one you don't want to eat it all at once."

dsi1

Jan 29, 2023, 8:00:27 PM1/29/23
I didn't call her anything and my wife never called me anything except "David." I don't post that kind of dopey stuff. Hopefully, yoose guys will understand this nutty fact about my posts; I don't post a lot of the dsi1 posts. Hopefully, you guys can keep up with the new dsi1.

GM

Jan 29, 2023, 8:08:30 PM1/29/23
Is it true that you are really "Hank Rogers"...???

--
GM

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 8:34:54 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:45:41 -0800 (PST), Thomas Joseph
<jazee...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> I'll have some later this week. Last can, so I'll go to BJs to get
>> another six pack of it. Slice about 1/4" thick and fry it enough to get
>> a little sear on it.
>

>At the orphanage food was strictly for eating.

The things I learn here!

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 8:37:37 PM1/29/23
Oh, sorry :) It didn't seem gross or offensive enough to be Greg.

Bruce

Jan 29, 2023, 8:39:46 PM1/29/23
On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 16:51:33 -0800 (PST), Thomas Joseph
<jazee...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I made this up. I was at a party where the discussion of "Is there a God
>or not?" came up. Eight people said yes, without a doubt there is a God.
>Another eight said no, without a doubt there is no God. It was a draw.
>Disappointing. Then I spotted a guy passed out over in the corner. "Wake
>that guy up", I cried, "let's get his opinion on this. He will be the deciding
>vote."
>
>They woke him up and asked him, "Is there a God or not?" He said, "I don't
>know."
>
>It hit me then that that was about the most intelligent response anyone
>could possibly give and I told the crowd do. "This is an intelligent man",
>I said, meaning every word of it. I wanted to get to know such an
>intelligent man, so I approached him and extended my hand and asked
>him what his name was. "I don't know", he said.

:)

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 29, 2023, 9:19:40 PM1/29/23
Spent my first 36 years in Philadelphia. Habbersetts is in that area, a
well as many Amish sources of it. Has to be fried right to be tasty.

Never had the deep fried pierogies. My grandmother made them, boiled, a
couple of times a year. It was a project with my mother and Aunt
Dorothy helping out.

Boiled until they float, then drizzled with bread crumbs toasted in lots
of butter.

Michael Trew

Jan 29, 2023, 11:45:09 PM1/29/23
On 1/29/2023 21:19, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/29/2023 7:42 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:
>>
>> Do you
>> remember deep friend pirogies at the bars?
>
> Never had the deep fried pierogies. My grandmother made them, boiled, a
> couple of times a year. It was a project with my mother and Aunt Dorothy
> helping out.
>
> Boiled until they float, then drizzled with bread crumbs toasted in lots
> of butter.

The way I was taught to cook pirogi... boil them, then pan fry with
butter/onion until golden and crisp. We're talking frozen commercial
pirogi.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 30, 2023, 10:04:42 AM1/30/23
Personal choice. Do you want your sandwich on plain bread or toast?

There are some store bought that are OK, but Mrs.Ts and horrid things
that are mostly tough dough. My Babcia would never approve.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 30, 2023, 4:18:04 PM1/30/23
Michael Trew wrote:

> The way I was taught to cook pirogi... boil them, then pan fry with
butter/onion until golden and crisp. We're talking frozen commercial
pirogi.

That's one way we had them. Sometimes we'd have boiled and sauteed on the same table at the same time. The all-sauerkraut filled pirogies were most people's least favorite but were a great break from the more popular cheese and tater ones. For me the ratio was usually two potato cheese 'rogies to one kraut. Another great dish was chicken hearts with rice. On the surface it seems a peasant dish - nothing wrong with that either - but if you think about eating a chicken leg or breast it's just one or two parts of a single chicken. But a plateful of rice and chicken hearts - 15 to 30 of them - is actually the opposite of a peasant dish - it's a super snobby meal when you consider how many chickens had to die for just one meal. A real luxury.

"I will eat the heart of your memory!"

Thomas Joseph

Jan 30, 2023, 4:24:45 PM1/30/23
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Spent my first 36 years in Philadelphia. Habbersetts is in that area, a
well as many Amish sources of it. Has to be fried right to be tasty.

> Never had the deep fried pierogies. My grandmother made them, boiled, a
couple of times a year. It was a project with my mother and Aunt
Dorothy helping out.

> Boiled until they float, then drizzled with bread crumbs toasted in lots
of butter.

I had the deep fried ones only in bars. They were not the greatest, kind of thin
like Mrs. Smith's or whatever. My grandmother made them all kinds of ways
from scratch and I liked them all ways including boiled. Sauteed too. Usually
3 different types - potato alone, potato with cheese, and sauerkraut filling by
itself. My Arab grandparents arrived in Allentown in the late teens or early 20s
and settled in the first ward which was called simply "The Ward" and was home to
mostly Arabs but also Ukrainians (Ukies) and other eastern Europeans, and they all
learned each others cooking. I was shuffled around a lot as a kid. But when I lived
in Allentown with my grandparents I was lucky to be introduced at a young age to a
wide variety of well made foods. No store bought pirogies come close to the big
fat pirogies my grandmother made. She also made stuffed cabbage (halupkies),
and I loved them too, but not as much as the Arab stuffed grapeleaves. I haven't
made those in years - simple but tedious - and I have to say mine were some of
the best I ever had - tight little cigars, good even cold out of the fridge.

jmcquown

Jan 30, 2023, 5:12:31 PM1/30/23
Sheldon sometimes mentioned Mrs. T's frozen pierogies. I tried them
once and was not impressed in the least.

Jill

Thomas Joseph

Jan 30, 2023, 6:08:36 PM1/30/23
j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:

> Sheldon sometimes mentioned Mrs. T's frozen pierogies. I tried them
> once and was not impressed in the least.

There's like nothing to them. Very thin and tasteless. I tried them twice.
Good for deep frying maybe, bar food, etc., which is how I had that brand
the first time. Instead of fries in Allentown bars they sometimes served
the deep fried pirogies. In that setting they were not bad. But at home,
no way.

Nem Tudom

Jan 30, 2023, 7:01:26 PM1/30/23
On 1/29/2023 4:51 PM, Thomas Joseph wrote:

> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>>> Nem Tudom - sounds like the real name of a Dalai Lama type person.
>>> Mysterious, weird, all knowing.
>
>> Opposite. Means I do not know.
>
> You mean Dalai Lama means "I don't know.".......?

What Ed P figured out, you got even more wrong than your first attempt.

You might want to work on that reading comprehension thing.

Thomas Joseph

Jan 30, 2023, 11:57:21 PM1/30/23
Nem Tudom wrote:

> > You mean Dalai Lama means "I don't know.".......?

> What Ed P figured out, you got even more wrong than your first attempt.
>
> You might want to work on that reading comprehension thing.

You're favoring Ed P over me? What is going on here? Listen to me
Tudom - instead of criticizing and griping and looking for excuses to
argue you should be grateful that I responded to your post in the first
place. I am grateful even for the negative posts that come my way. But
they have to be negative in a good way - an honest way - not just trolling
for disputes. Your criticisms may have merit as I am far from perfect.
You too are far from perfect Tudom, much farther than yours truly.
But thanks for your post. By the way, I am not trying to figure anything out.
I just find your name funny in a guruistical DalaiLama type way. Know what
I mean?

Michael Trew

Jan 31, 2023, 2:03:25 PM1/31/23
On 1/30/2023 10:04, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/29/2023 11:45 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 1/29/2023 21:19, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Boiled until they float, then drizzled with bread crumbs toasted in lots
>>> of butter.
>>
>> The way I was taught to cook pirogi... boil them, then pan fry with
>> butter/onion until golden and crisp. We're talking frozen commercial
>> pirogi.
>
> Personal choice. Do you want your sandwich on plain bread or toast?

Rhetorical question, presumably, but my preference would be lightly
toasted bread. I don't mind plain bread, as long as it isn't gross
fluffy while wonder bread style. If using cheap white bread, toasting
is the only way to make it half decent on a sandwich.

> There are some store bought that are OK, but Mrs.Ts and horrid things
> that are mostly tough dough. My Babcia would never approve.

I've bought Mrs. T's before. They are OK, at best. I've never actually
made pierogies, and I don't remember my grandmother doing so either.
She probably learned to boil fresh ones from her mother or grandmother,
then pan fry them to crisp afterward. Boiling is probably not actually
necessary for store-bought ones. I really need to make some from scratch.

Michael Trew

Jan 31, 2023, 2:04:51 PM1/31/23
On 1/30/2023 16:18, Thomas Joseph wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>

>> The way I was taught to cook pirogi... boil them, then pan fry
>> with butter/onion until golden and crisp. We're talking frozen commercial pirogi.
>
> That's one way we had them. Sometimes we'd have boiled and sauteed
> on the same table at the same time. The all-sauerkraut filled
> pirogies were most people's least favorite but were a great break
> from the more popular cheese and tater ones.

Yum, no problem there, I'll take all of the sauerkraut ones if no one
wants them!

Dave Smith

Jan 31, 2023, 2:17:15 PM1/31/23
On 2023-01-31 2:03 p.m., Michael Trew wrote:
> On 1/30/2023 10:04, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Personal choice. Do you want your sandwich on plain bread or toast?
>
> Rhetorical question, presumably, but my preference would be lightly
> toasted bread.  I don't mind plain bread, as long as it isn't gross
> fluffy while wonder bread style.  If using cheap white bread, toasting
> is the only way to make it half decent on a sandwich.

If I have a sandwich I have it on plain bread (not toasted) if it is
nice and fresh. Day old bread is likely to get toasted. I don't buy
cheap grocery store white bread. Most of the bread I buy is either whole
grain or sourdough whole wheat, and I get it from one of two good
bakeries. I may buy some of their day old white bread one of these days
with the idea of making French toast.

>> There are some store bought that are OK, but Mrs.Ts and horrid things
>> that are mostly tough dough. My Babcia would never approve.
>
> I've bought Mrs. T's before.  They are OK, at best.  I've never actually
> made pierogies, and I don't remember my grandmother doing so either. She
> probably learned to boil fresh ones from her mother or grandmother, then
> pan fry them to crisp afterward.  Boiling is probably not actually
> necessary for store-bought ones.  I really need to make some from scratch.

One of our neighbours has a huge family and used to frequently have the
whole gang over for gatherings. She had 13 brothers and sisters, and
most of them had kids, and some had grandchildren. She would start
preparing says ahead and would make hundreds of perogies. She would also
prepare a turkey or two, some roast beef or ham and other stuff. The
rest would all bring something.

My introduction to pergoies was at a friend's place when I was a teen.
His mother made them with sauerkraut and bacon. They were incredible.

Ed Pawlowski

Jan 31, 2023, 2:17:28 PM1/31/23
When we had them for Sunday dinner there would be ten of us at the
table. It was a projects for the ladies to make the filling, make the
dough, roll it out, then using a jelly glass the rounds were cut out,
then filled and sealed. They made a lot of them.

After dinner, the corner variety store opened at 6PM. My grandfather
took a big bowl and got us each a scoop of Breyers ice cream, flavor of
our choice. That was when it was still owned by the Breyer family and
was good quality no gums and junk.

Dave Smith

Jan 31, 2023, 2:18:18 PM1/31/23
Funny, I just posted about sauerkraut perogies. Sauerkraut and bacon was
my introduction to perogies.

dsi1

Jan 31, 2023, 2:26:33 PM1/31/23
That's the way Korean mondu is cooked. My wife taught me how to make them. I deep fried them. It made me a popular guy at the party I took them to. You could be a popular guy too. Just make some and deep fry them.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 31, 2023, 3:01:54 PM1/31/23
I'll split them with you. My favorite pierogi fillings are
sauerkraut, cabbage, mushroom, meat (especially pork), or prune.

Hey, I didn't know about these guys; they're not too far away:

https://buczekpierogi.com

Their pierogi look nice; the wrappers aren't too thick.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Thomas Joseph

Jan 31, 2023, 5:43:51 PM1/31/23
Michael Trew wrote:
Thomas Joseph wrote:

> > That's one way we had them. Sometimes we'd have boiled and sauteed
> > on the same table at the same time. The all-sauerkraut filled
> > pirogies were most people's least favorite but were a great break
> > from the more popular cheese and tater ones.

> Yum, no problem there, I'll take all of the sauerkraut ones if no one
> wants them!

It was a luxury for sure to have a grandmother who lived in the kitchen.
I eat good food. I make good dishes. But they are all one pot meals
designed not just for taste but with healthy and other factors in mind.
I like my one pot meals. But when I think back on the dinners at my
grandparent's home I see them now as luxuries. There are all kinds
of meals I remember from that time. Smells come to mind. Hopefully.
I'm a nose guy. One of my favorites was my grandmother's roasted
chicken with crisp golden skin. And on the table for all was a sauce
to be dipped into composed of garlic pounded to a butter consistency
in a mix of lemon and olive oil with salt and pepper. Man, that stuff
was powerful. I'm sure today instead of one shared bowl of the stuff
each person would have their own small one.

About the kraut pirogies, the 3 to 1 ratio was not mine alone, I seemed
to notice it with most everybody. A great break between the more wanted
taters and cheese mixed ones. So you've had the kraut ones too?
It is loading more messages.