Garibaldi Sandwiches... a method of preparation, please

Lon Ponschock

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99

The Garibaldi is a hot sandwich that, as far as I know,
was only served at one restaurant of my
acquaintance in Madison Wisconsin USA down by the
U o' Wis campus.

But I still want to know how to make one.

The ingredients are sliced meat, cheese, tomatos, mild
banana peppers as you find on a Poor Boy I suppose
and served in its foil wrapper.

What I need to know is how to make a good hot sandwich
in the oven so that the bread doesn't get steamed
and the sandwich ingredients get melty and hot.

Times, temps. and methods for this kind of dish
appreciated.

(BTW I tried to get hints for this from the article
on making garlic bread in Cooks Ill., but the
sandwich ingredients and how to get them right
are still a mystery to me.) ;-)

lon

Barry Grau

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
Lon Ponschock (l...@earth.execpc.com) wrote:

: What I need to know is how to make a good hot sandwich

: in the oven so that the bread doesn't get steamed
: and the sandwich ingredients get melty and hot.

Never heard of it, but I wont let that stop me.

Wrap it in foil. Cut a slash in the foil so the steam can escape. Heat it
in a hot oven until the cheese is melted and the bread is crisped. How hot
is hot? 350F might be ok.

Lon Ponschock

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99
gr...@uic.edu (Barry Grau) writes:

>Lon Ponschock (l...@earth.execpc.com) wrote:

Ok. I knew about the foil part, but how long in
the oven? You can't test it like a cake or
cornbread. :-|

lon

Barry Grau

Aug 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/25/99
: gr...@uic.edu (Barry Grau) writes:

: >Lon Ponschock (l...@earth.execpc.com) wrote:

10 minutes might be ok. 20 might be ok. 30 is almost certainly too long.
Waste one. Make the slash down the side. Then you can eyeball it.

-bwg
Test question: How did 30 become the magic number of observations in t-tests?
"Professor Smith, how many observations do I need to have a 'large sample?'"
"Oh, I dont know. Maybe 30."
ZZ