White Cheddar Cheese and Truffles

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 6, 2022, 7:22:27 PM12/6/22

Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola. But I also spied a small
block of white cheddar with truffles imported from the U. K. so it went
into my bag. Red grapes were also purchased to compliment these
cheeses.

It was pungent when I opened it but is it ever good!! The grapes were
the perfect match to this block of sharp goodness. I figured I'd probably
never get to eat truffles so this was an opportunity to at least get a taste.
It will definitely be bought again.

Bruce

Dec 6, 2022, 8:42:39 PM12/6/22
By whom?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Graham

Dec 6, 2022, 8:59:44 PM12/6/22
I sometimes buy truffle-flavoured gnocchi. However, one of the most
memorable dishes I've eaten was scrambled eggs with truffles, in a
restaurant in France. My mouth is watering at the memory of it.

Michael Trew

Dec 6, 2022, 10:20:25 PM12/6/22
Truffles are mushrooms? Anything mushroom is a bit off-putting for me,
but into a block of cheese, perhaps I wouldn't mind. Someone bought me
a bottle of black truffle hot sauce. I never tried it... perhaps I should.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 6, 2022, 10:24:10 PM12/6/22
> Bruce

The label states, "Emporium Selection" then it says on the back 'Imported
and Distributed by Aldi.'

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 6, 2022, 10:27:42 PM12/6/22
On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 9:20:25 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew wrote:

> Truffles are mushrooms? Anything mushroom is a bit off-putting for me,
> but into a block of cheese, perhaps I wouldn't mind. Someone bought me
> a bottle of black truffle hot sauce. I never tried it... perhaps I should.

Yes, they are in the mushroom/fungus family and grow underground. The
smell of this would have you reeling, hahahaha! But in the white cheddar
it's quite good. These are the black variety mushrooms in this cheese.

Dave Smith

Dec 6, 2022, 11:45:47 PM12/6/22
They are a type of fungus. They are not mushrooms

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 2022, 1:15:55 AM12/7/22
There's a debate about whether they're mushrooms or not. Go to one site and
yes, they are. Go to another site, and no, they're not.

Bruce

Dec 7, 2022, 1:19:09 AM12/7/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 22:15:51 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 10:45:47 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

>> > Yes, they are in the mushroom/fungus family and grow underground. The
>> > smell of this would have you reeling, hahahaha! But in the white cheddar
>> > it's quite good. These are the black variety mushrooms in this cheese.
>> >
>> They are a type of fungus. They are not mushrooms
>>
>There's a debate about whether they're mushrooms or not. Go to one site and
>yes, they are. Go to another site, and no, they're not.

Let's agree for the time being that they're not mushrooms, so Michael
can consume his truffle sauce.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Gary

Dec 7, 2022, 7:55:25 AM12/7/22
Michael Trew wrote:
> Truffles are mushrooms?  Anything mushroom is a bit off-putting for me,
> but into a block of cheese, perhaps I wouldn't mind.  Someone bought me
> a bottle of black truffle hot sauce.  I never tried it... perhaps I should.

Yes, you should try it. If you don't like it, pass it on to someone else
that might.

Dave Smith

Dec 7, 2022, 8:51:53 AM12/7/22
A couple of the sources I checked said that mushrooms grow above ground.

dsi1

Dec 7, 2022, 12:04:18 PM12/7/22
My understanding is that truffle hunting is a big deal in the woods of the Pacific Northwest. Most of them are visible from the surface. Sometimes the hunters will use a dog to assist them - also, the occasional pig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6vhlNTLUk

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 2022, 12:12:23 PM12/7/22
On Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 12:19:09 AM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> >There's a debate about whether they're mushrooms or not. Go to one site and
> >yes, they are. Go to another site, and no, they're not.
> >
> Let's agree for the time being that they're not mushrooms, so Michael
> can consume his truffle sauce.
>
> Bruce

I think he'd like this cheese with the truffles as they're just little specks
dispersed throughout the block. Nothing large or chewy but they do
lend a wonderful taste.

Bruce

Dec 7, 2022, 12:28:01 PM12/7/22
So do you.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Mike Duffy

Dec 7, 2022, 12:37:14 PM12/7/22
On 2022-12-07, dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> My understanding is that truffle hunting is a
> big deal in the woods of the Pacific Northwest.

> Most of them are visible from the surface.

Ahh, the plot thickens. Of course they are fungus,
but does that not makes them a mushroom as well?

I seem to recall someone here recently who
was trying to make a big deal about it.

It is cooking related, so let's go at it.

> Sometimes the hunters will use a dog to
> assist them - also, the occasional pig.

You are mistaken, O Hawaiian one. They are
all part of a team.( pig + dog + human)

The pig is to find it. The dog is to get it
away from the pig before the pig eats it.
The human then trades a dog treat for a truffle.

I've seen no Internet report or anything, but if
the pig eats too much truffle, the human has to
decide which is worth more, a hungry pig that will
search for anything smelling remotely like food, or
the slighty pre-eaten truffle.

($587 mix of 2 oz black + 1 oz white (Amazon)).

Thomas

Dec 7, 2022, 4:07:32 PM12/7/22
I have never seen a truffle and would not put out $300 an ounce to try.
I do not stock saffron either.

Dave Smith

Dec 7, 2022, 4:39:02 PM12/7/22
All the videos and shows I have seen about truffles involved the use of
dogs or pigs to sniff them out and then they dig them up.

Mike Duffy

Dec 7, 2022, 5:33:05 PM12/7/22
On 2022-12-07, Thomas <cano...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> ($587 mix of 2 oz black + 1 oz white (Amazon)).

> I have never seen a truffle and would
> not put out $300 an ounce to try.

It averages $200 (2 black + 1 white = 3 oz)

It's mostly the white, though.

You can get olive oil infused with black
truffle to get an idea of the taste.
$15 for 3.4 fl.oz. on Amazon.

The white is roughly 3 or 4 times the cost
of the black. (Oil or sauce component.)

> I do not stock saffron either.

I though that was more for the colour.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 7, 2022, 5:45:57 PM12/7/22
Saffron has a distinctive flavor. I find it a little metallic.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Dec 7, 2022, 6:30:52 PM12/7/22
On Wed, 07 Dec 2022 22:32:59 GMT, Mike Duffy <mxd...@bell.net> wrote:

>On 2022-12-07, Thomas <cano...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> ($587 mix of 2 oz black + 1 oz white (Amazon)).
>
>> I have never seen a truffle and would
>> not put out $300 an ounce to try.
>
>It averages $200 (2 black + 1 white = 3 oz)
>
>It's mostly the white, though.
>
>You can get olive oil infused with black
>truffle to get an idea of the taste.
>$15 for 3.4 fl.oz. on Amazon.
>
>The white is roughly 3 or 4 times the cost
>of the black. (Oil or sauce component.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truffle_oil

Don't be fooled:
Truffle oil is controversial as a flavoring ingredient, as nearly all
truffle oil is produced from one synthetic flavor compound, and may
lack the complex flavors and aromas of fresh truffles.

"Olive oil infused with black truffle?" Probably not.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Sqwertz

Dec 8, 2022, 2:23:18 PM12/8/22
On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:22:23 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
wrote:

> Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
> in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
> Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
> problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
> not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola.

Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
Braunschweiger. Stilton, Roquefort, and Gorgonzola(*) are very
specific types of blue cheeses While blue cheese is just moldy
(it also comes in green, too).

(*) Authentic gorgonzola comes in 2 types, Mountain/Sharp (firm
and crumbly), or dolce/sweet (creamy almost spreadable). There's
a third type called "Fake American Buillshit" which is the stuff
sold by Boars Head, Salemville, and those other . You know what
those are: "Blue Cheese".

At least BelGioso calls their excellent rendition of gorgonzola
dolce, "CreamyGorg".

> But I also spied a small
> block of white cheddar with truffles imported from the U. K. so it went
> into my bag.

"English Cheddar with Truffles" doesn't work. But there are some
good truffle cheeses out of Spain and Italy.

-sw the cheesemonster

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 2:29:21 PM12/8/22
On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 13:23:12 -0600, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:22:23 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
>wrote:
>
>> Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
>> in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
>> Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
>> problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
>> not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola.
>
>Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
>liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
>Braunschweiger.

I'd like to ask for a moment of silence. This is the first time I've
seen an American spell that word correctly.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2022, 3:37:46 PM12/8/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 1:23:18 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:22:23 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
> wrote:
> >
> > Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
> > in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
> > Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
> > problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
> > not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola.
> >
> Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
> liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
> Braunschweiger. Stilton, Roquefort, and Gorgonzola(*) are very
> specific types of blue cheeses While blue cheese is just moldy
> (it also comes in green, too).

I have bought cheeses that specifically state they Roquefort (French),
Gorgonzola (Italian), and Stilton (English). I've also bought the veined
cheese just packaged as plain old blue cheese.

> (*) Authentic gorgonzola comes in 2 types, Mountain/Sharp (firm
> and crumbly), or dolce/sweet (creamy almost spreadable).

What I had was the sharp variety but would like to try the creamy
version, too.

> There's a third type called "Fake American Buillshit" which is the stuff
> sold by Boars Head, Salemville, and those other . You know what
> those are: "Blue Cheese".

Yep, I've had those, too.

> > But I also spied a small
> > block of white cheddar with truffles imported from the U. K. so it went
> > into my bag.
> >
> "English Cheddar with Truffles" doesn't work. But there are some
> good truffle cheeses out of Spain and Italy.
>
> -sw the cheesemonster

It works for me.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2022, 3:40:18 PM12/8/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 1:29:21 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> >Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
> >liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
> >Braunschweiger.
> >
> I'd like to ask for a moment of silence. This is the first time I've
> seen an American spell that word correctly.
>
> Bruce

We can attribute this to either he's an excellent speller or he's got a
great spel gooder feetchure on his 'pewter.

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 4:27:03 PM12/8/22
Even if it's the latter, it's still a first for me.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 8, 2022, 5:02:50 PM12/8/22
I don't see what the big deal is. Braunschweiger is spelled exactly
as it sounds.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 8, 2022, 5:25:24 PM12/8/22
Brawnshwygher?

S Viemeister

Dec 8, 2022, 6:55:43 PM12/8/22
Indeed it is.

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 7:01:29 PM12/8/22
That doesn't stop most people from spelling it wrong. Probably because
they don't know how it sounds.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

jmcquown

Dec 8, 2022, 7:05:10 PM12/8/22
Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
spelling by *Americans*. The assumption being we're all such uneducated
slobs.

Jill

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2022, 8:47:20 PM12/8/22
> Cindy Hamilton

Well, you probably know a LOT of people have trouble with whether the
e or the i comes first in some words. Remember the "i before e except
after c" elementary school tip?

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 8:51:23 PM12/8/22
On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 17:47:16 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
Weird. Heist. Skein. Heinous. Reign. Heir.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 8, 2022, 9:40:37 PM12/8/22
The rest of it is:
Unless sounding like A, as in neighbor and weigh.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 8, 2022, 9:51:24 PM12/8/22
BINGO!

Hank Rogers

Dec 8, 2022, 10:29:17 PM12/8/22
Except receive.

Bruce

Dec 8, 2022, 10:29:36 PM12/8/22
On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:51:20 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:

>On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 8:40:37 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 12/8/2022 8:51 PM, Bruce wrote:

>> > Weird. Heist. Skein. Heinous. Reign. Heir.
>> >
>> The rest of it is:
>> >
>> Unless sounding like A, as in neighbor and weigh.
>>
>BINGO!

Weird, heist, skein, heinous, reign and heir sound like an A?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 8, 2022, 11:28:19 PM12/8/22
They could. Sound them out with an A sounds. Weird and heist and a bit
questionable in pronunciation the the others, no problem.

I've always heard
air to the throne not here to the throne
the kings rain

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 12:06:43 AM12/9/22
On 12/8/2022 19:05, jmcquown wrote:

> Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
> spelling by *Americans*. The assumption being we're all such uneducated
> slobs.
>
> Jill

Haven't you recently chided me for calling out Janet UK on her repulsive
social behavior -- much similar to the way that you regularly call out
Bruce?

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 12:09:32 AM12/9/22
Heist still has an "A" sound. It's not "heeist" -- pronounced more like
"heaist".

"Weird" is the odd one out in this scenario... Or, should I mroe
appropriately say, the "weird" one. :)

Hank Rogers

Dec 9, 2022, 12:56:39 AM12/9/22
Royal prerogative.

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 1:32:32 AM12/9/22
On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 00:06:42 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 12/8/2022 19:05, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
>> spelling by *Americans*. The assumption being we're all such uneducated
>> slobs.
>>
>> Jill

Well, there are mainly Americans here. And Canadians, but they're
substitute Americans. If I ever see Zimbabweans constantly misspell
Braunschweiger, I shall comment on that too. Promise!

>Haven't you recently chided me for calling out Janet UK on her repulsive
>social behavior -- much similar to the way that you regularly call out
>Bruce?

She's the queen of double standards.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

GM

Dec 9, 2022, 1:56:05 AM12/9/22
There ya go...

Jill is relentless in slagging others here, but she gets all huffy when "the tables are turned", bawling all over the place that she's some innocent victim... especially that creaky old " I'm a woman " canard...

That makes her rfc #1 Hypocrite - and thus " ripe for the pickins' ", as " they " say...

Frankly, I've rarely seen anyone that has such a lack of self - awareness as Jill... but after all, she *is* "Daddy's Little Princess"...

She'd stand in her own receiving line to shake her *own* hand...

<chuckle>

--
GM

GM

Dec 9, 2022, 2:01:49 AM12/9/22
Princess Jill has a Royal Charter - she owns the deed to the land that we all stand on...

She also levies a *very* heavy "Hectoring Tax" on each of our heads...

She is RICH RICH RICH as John Kuthe could never be...

--
GM

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 3:45:23 AM12/9/22
It's confusing for a non native speaker. It also doesn't help that
there is sometimes a UK and a US pronunciation. I wouldn't expect an A
in weird, heist or heir.

OT: aren't hummingbirds cute?

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 5:09:11 AM12/9/22
Brownshvyger

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 5:11:59 AM12/9/22
Not a problem in German.

ei is pronounced like a long i
ie is pronounced like a long e

Invariably. No exceptions that I'm aware of. No need for the "i before
e" rule.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 5:16:50 AM12/9/22
Honestly, we are. I once asked a Dutch friend if Dutch had irregular
verbs and whether Dutch speakers had difficulty with them.
He said "Yes" and "No", respectively.

Most Americans can barely speak their own language properly, let
alone cope with our many odd spellings.

I'm not the grammar cop here, but my eyes roll every time I see
"could of", "should of", or "would of" instead of "could have"
"should have", or "would have".

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 5:32:10 AM12/9/22
On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 10:16:44 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@invalid.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-09, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> On 12/8/2022 3:40 PM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
>>>>
>>> We can attribute this to either he's an excellent speller or he's got a
>>> great spel gooder feetchure on his 'pewter.
>>

>> Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
>> spelling by *Americans*. The assumption being we're all such uneducated
>> slobs.
>
>Honestly, we are. I once asked a Dutch friend if Dutch had irregular
>verbs and whether Dutch speakers had difficulty with them.
>He said "Yes" and "No", respectively.

But that also applies to American(s). No American would say "I waked
up at 6 this morning." Unless that's a dialect I'm not familiar with.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Gary

Dec 9, 2022, 7:55:27 AM12/9/22
On 12/8/2022 2:29 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 13:23:12 -0600, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:22:23 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
>>> in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
>>> Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
>>> problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
>>> not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola.
>>
>> Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
>> liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
>> Braunschweiger.
>
> I'd like to ask for a moment of silence. This is the first time I've
> seen an American spell that word correctly.

Hey, I've spelled it correctly here before. Many months ago I bought 2
pounds of it (1 pound packages). Bought fresh in July. Expiration date
is August 25, 2022.

I ate the first package that week. Love the stuff just sliced on white
bread with mayo. Some lettuce would be good but I rarely have that. Add
some salty chips. :)

The second pack was frozen immediately and still frozen. I assume it
will be fine and good. Might thaw it this week..maybe.

Janet

Dec 9, 2022, 7:57:00 AM12/9/22
In article <gWDkL.131473$8_id....@fx09.iad>,
hami...@invalid.com says...
Or uneducated Trew's favourite; "off of".

Janet UK

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 8:33:05 AM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 01:51, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 17:47:16 -0800 (PST), "itsjoan...@webtv.net"
> <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 4:02:50 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:b
>>> I don't see what the big deal is. Braunschweiger is spelled exactly
>>> as it sounds.
>> Well, you probably know a LOT of people have trouble with whether the
>> e or the i comes first in some words. Remember the "i before e except
>> after c" elementary school tip?
>
> Weird. Heist. Skein. Heinous. Reign. Heir.

Neighbour, weigh, weight.

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 8:35:28 AM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 01:47, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 4:02:50 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>> I don't see what the big deal is. Braunschweiger is spelled exactly
>> as it sounds.
>>
> Well, you probably know a LOT of people have trouble with whether the
> e or the i comes first in some words. Remember the "i before e except
> after c" elementary school tip?

You left off the last bit of the rhyme - "or when 'e' sounds like 'a',
as in neighbour and weigh".

Graham

Dec 9, 2022, 8:37:38 AM12/9/22
On 2022-12-09 5:56 a.m., Janet wrote:

>> Honestly, we are.
> I once asked a Dutch friend if Dutch had irregular
>> verbs and whether Dutch speakers had difficulty with them.
>> He said "Yes" and "No", respectively.
>>
>> Most Americans can barely speak their own language properly, let
>> alone cope with our many odd spellings.
>>
>> I'm not the grammar cop here, but my eyes roll every time I see
>> "could of", "should of", or "would of" instead of "could have"
>> "should have", or "would have".
>
> Or uneducated Trew's favourite; "off of".
>

> Janet UK

That's universal American usage.

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 8:40:47 AM12/9/22
I pronounce weird with an 'ee' sound, heist with an 'eye' sound, and
heir as 'air'.

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 8:44:42 AM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 10:11, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-09, itsjoan...@webtv.net <itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 4:02:50 PM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> I don't see what the big deal is. Braunschweiger is spelled exactly
>>> as it sounds.
>> Well, you probably know a LOT of people have trouble with whether the
>> e or the i comes first in some words. Remember the "i before e except
>> after c" elementary school tip?
>
> Not a problem in German.
>
> ei is pronounced like a long i
> ie is pronounced like a long e
>
> Invariably. No exceptions that I'm aware of. No need for the "i before
> e" rule.

Yes. Simplifies things considerably.

Three of my names contain 'ie' and/or 'ei'. It's rare that anyone gets
all of them correct.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 8:44:58 AM12/9/22
Common, but not universal. Even in my own speech, I sometimes
use it and sometimes don't.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 8:48:11 AM12/9/22
Those fall under the second clause:

I before E, except after C,
Or when sounded like A, as in neighbor or weigh.

As much as I'd hate to learn all new spellings at this stage,
I'd be willing to have regularized English spelling.

Although my first preference would be to convert our system
of weights and measures to SI. I'm already halfway there;
it would be much more difficult to start spelling "quick"
as "kwik".

--
Cindy Hamilton

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 8:50:27 AM12/9/22
I've seen that from _teachers_!
When their (not there, not they're) teachers set an example like that,
what hope is there (not their, not they're) for the kids?
They're (not their, not there) doomed.

Gary

Dec 9, 2022, 9:32:02 AM12/9/22
On 12/8/2022 7:05 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I'd like to ask for a moment of silence. This is the first time I've
>>> seen an American spell that word correctly.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>
>> We can attribute this to either he's an excellent speller or he's got a
>> great spel gooder feetchure on his 'pewter.
>

> Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
> spelling by *Americans*.  The assumption being we're all such uneducated
> slobs.

Bruce posted a real recipe a few days ago but you missed it, Ms.Killfile.

Gary

Dec 9, 2022, 10:02:51 AM12/9/22
On 12/9/2022 5:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> I'm not the grammar cop here, but my eyes roll every time I see
> "could of", "should of", or "would of" instead of "could have"
> "should have", or "would have".

The one that annoys me is when someone says "I could care less" rather
than "I couldn't care less."

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 10:18:51 AM12/9/22
On 2022-12-09, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
Since the 1960s, when smart women decided it was a better deal
to be doctors, lawyers, engineers, and scientists than to be
teachers, the quality of teachers has gone downhill.

I went as a non-traditional (old) student to a college whose
origin was as a teacher's college, and which still churned
out a lot of teachers with each graduating class. So many
of my classmates were as dumb as a box of rocks. My English
Composition teacher was particularly impressed with my abilities,
in contrast to my classmates.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 10:19:27 AM12/9/22
If uttered in a tone of withering sarcasm, it works. Unfortunately,
sarcasm is notoriously difficult to convey in plain text.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Dec 9, 2022, 10:38:33 AM12/9/22
One real recipe and how many snide pot shots?

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 11:38:27 AM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 13:37, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-12-09 5:56 a.m., Janet wrote:

>>    Or uneducated  Trew's favourite; "off of".
>
> That's universal American usage.

Far from universal!
It largely depends on the quality of one's education. I attended a US
high school, and _none_ of my English teachers would tolerate that, nor
would my parents - one educated in Scotland, the other educated in the US.

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 1:19:12 PM12/9/22
That's what she said :)

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 1:21:11 PM12/9/22
Yes, that's what I thought. No A there.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 1:34:56 PM12/9/22
On 2022-12-09, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
> On 09/12/2022 13:37, Graham wrote:
>> On 2022-12-09 5:56 a.m., Janet wrote:
>
>>>    Or uneducated  Trew's favourite; "off of".
>>
>> That's universal American usage.
>
> Far from universal!
> It largely depends on the quality of one's education. I attended a US
> high school

But not recently. I'd be willing to bet $10 that Michael Trew has
never diagrammed a sentence.

> and _none_ of my English teachers would tolerate that, nor
> would my parents - one educated in Scotland, the other educated in the US.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 1:36:58 PM12/9/22
What I find strange is "same difference".

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 1:41:49 PM12/9/22
That's a snide pot shot, Dave!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 1:49:25 PM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 18:34, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-09, S Viemeister <firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:

>>> That's universal American usage.
>>
>> Far from universal!
>> It largely depends on the quality of one's education. I attended a US
>> high school
>
> But not recently. I'd be willing to bet $10 that Michael Trew has
> never diagrammed a sentence.

True, not recently.
I hated diagramming sentences, mostly due to a rather unpleasant teacher
in my freshman year, but I have found it rather useful when editing
documents.

dsi1

Dec 9, 2022, 3:36:13 PM12/9/22
On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 9:29:21 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 13:23:12 -0600, Sqwertz <sqwe...@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
> >On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 16:22:23 -0800 (PST), itsjoan...@webtv.net
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Today while out running some errands I decided to stop in at an Aldi
> >> in another section of town. I had hoped to buy another wedge of the
> >> Stilton cheese I had bought last week but this store didn't have any. No
> >> problem, I just picked up a wedge of blue cheese, but the package did
> >> not specify if it was Roquefort or Gorgonzola.
> >
> >Most blue cheeses are just "blue cheese". Like Liverwuurst is
> >liverwurst as opposed to a specific sub-type such as
> >Braunschweiger.
> I'd like to ask for a moment of silence. This is the first time I've
> seen an American spell that word correctly.
>
> --
> Bruce
> <https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

There's all kinds of ways to spell words - especially foreign words. Hawaiians spell "kim chee" while mainlanders spell the word "kimchi." Which is correct? Da Hawaiians, of course.

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 3:52:15 PM12/9/22
On Fri, 9 Dec 2022 12:36:09 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
Korean has a different alphabet. You can disagree about how to
transcribe it to ours. Braunschweiger's German. It's also
Braunschweiger in English or French.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Ed Pawlowski

Dec 9, 2022, 4:38:56 PM12/9/22
Seems crude sounding for the French

saucisse de foie élégante

dsi1

Dec 9, 2022, 4:43:50 PM12/9/22
You're the expert - I don't know nothing about no stinking German sausage.
My wife was telling me about the "techs" at work. Mostly, they're there to provide muscle in case something goes down.
She said they always like to say "In my experience... blah blah blah, but you're the nurse, so........."
"Those passive-aggressive shitheads!" Ha ha, that's what she says.

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 4:45:56 PM12/9/22
Yes, I don't think they use the word.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 9, 2022, 5:10:19 PM12/9/22
김치

--
Cindy Hamilton

Graham

Dec 9, 2022, 6:11:37 PM12/9/22
Diagramming? Is that similar to clause analysis?

songbird

Dec 9, 2022, 6:50:46 PM12/9/22
Gary wrote:
> The second pack was frozen immediately and still frozen. I assume it
> will be fine and good. Might thaw it this week..maybe.

i've had a few packages end up in the freezer but i'd say
i don't like the difference in texture that can sometimes
happen. luckily a good use for those packages is to make
some fake pate' with it.

songbird

Thomas

Dec 9, 2022, 6:54:33 PM12/9/22
That makes me cringe too. I have actually asked how much less.
Irregardless is on the list.

Mike Duffy

Dec 9, 2022, 6:55:27 PM12/9/22
On 2022-12-09, Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Diagramming? Is that similar to clause analysis?

Every day, the Grade 6 afternoon teacher had
a sentence ready for each student. I believe we
started by drawing a circle around the subject.

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 8:16:37 PM12/9/22
On 12/9/2022 8:48, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> As much as I'd hate to learn all new spellings at this stage,
> I'd be willing to have regularized English spelling.

An issue with doing that, which I've heard brought up, is that it would
make it far more difficult to understand historical documents and
speech; it would become a foreign language to many people. Non
sentimental people might not be concerned, but generations down the
road, there would only be a select number of historians who could
decipher "ancient English", when all modern people are taught sensible
modern spellings (which will have to keep changing with time).

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Dec 9, 2022, 8:22:01 PM12/9/22
On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 7:35:28 AM UTC-6, S Viemeister wrote:

> On 09/12/2022 01:47, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> >
> > Well, you probably know a LOT of people have trouble with whether the
> > e or the i comes first in some words. Remember the "i before e except
> > after c" elementary school tip?
> >
> You left off the last bit of the rhyme - "or when 'e' sounds like 'a',
> as in neighbour and weigh".

Ed filled that in upstream.

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 8:22:33 PM12/9/22
On 12/9/2022 1:56, GM wrote:
> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew
> wrote:
>> Haven't you recently chided me for calling out Janet UK on her
>> repulsive social behavior -- much similar to the way that you
>> regularly call out Bruce?

This is in reference to a recent Jill post asking me "Why are you doing
this?" when I was making a pick at Janet. Simply put, with the way that
Janet has treated me, she deserves a taste of her medicine. ...Or as
Dave would say, "Yes, Ma'am".

> There ya go...
>
> Jill is relentless in slagging others here, but she gets all huffy
> when "the tables are turned", bawling all over the place that she's
> some innocent victim...

Are you standing up for Bruce?! ;)

Try as they may, no one can say that I don't acknowledge double
standards. I try to not make a point of it, though; no one likes a nag.

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 8:25:35 PM12/9/22
On 12/9/2022 5:31, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 10:16:44 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
> <hami...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> On 2022-12-09, jmcquown<j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Look at Bruce, participating in a food discussion, only to note correct
>>> spelling by *Americans*. The assumption being we're all such uneducated
>>> slobs.
>>
>> Honestly, we are. I once asked a Dutch friend if Dutch had irregular
>> verbs and whether Dutch speakers had difficulty with them.
>> He said "Yes" and "No", respectively.
>
> But that also applies to American(s). No American would say "I waked
> up at 6 this morning." Unless that's a dialect I'm not familiar with.

I've actually heard that... It's less of a dialect, and more of
ignorant "Hill-billy" slang -- Probably what Bryan is used to hearing
with thems white-trash back-wood Missouri folk. ;)

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 8:28:19 PM12/9/22
On Fri, 09 Dec 2022 20:22:34 -0500, Michael Trew
<michae...@att.net> wrote:

>On 12/9/2022 1:56, GM wrote:
>
>This is in reference to a recent Jill post asking me "Why are you doing
>this?" when I was making a pick at Janet. Simply put, with the way that
>Janet has treated me, she deserves a taste of her medicine. ...Or as
>Dave would say, "Yes, Ma'am".
>
>> There ya go...
>>
>> Jill is relentless in slagging others here, but she gets all huffy
>> when "the tables are turned", bawling all over the place that she's
>> some innocent victim...
>
>Are you standing up for Bruce?! ;)

That's the thing with Ed. I understand that he defends someone against
GM's crass attacks, but Jill? She's one of the top 3 worst bitches of
RFC and he'll never criticise her because he wants women to like him.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Michael Trew

Dec 9, 2022, 8:36:42 PM12/9/22
On 12/9/2022 13:34, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-09, S Viemeister<firs...@lastname.oc.ku> wrote:
>>>
>>> That's universal American usage.
>>
>> Far from universal!
>> It largely depends on the quality of one's education. I attended a US
>> high school
>
> But not recently. I'd be willing to bet $10 that Michael Trew has
> never diagrammed a sentence.

You'd likely win that bet. I had to look it up... Unless that's
something from primary school, which I have no recollection of, it
doesn't look familiar.

>> and _none_ of my English teachers would tolerate that, nor
>> would my parents - one educated in Scotland, the other educated in the US.

This is a good example of the world/US changing, and not for the better.
As generations go on, people become progressively more stupid. I'm
starting to honestly believe in the prophecy of the movie "Idiocracy".

Sometimes, you all embarrass me, but I'd still rather learn something.
I'll even take Janet's nasty comment quoted above in stride. These
aren't things that I missed in school for lack of trying. I graduated
with a near 3.5 GPA... I believe that many of these examples are things
which are no longer commonly taught; starting with teachers who care
less than they used to in decades/generations past.

Bruce

Dec 9, 2022, 8:38:28 PM12/9/22
Yes, I know those types. They don't use high oleic sunflower oil!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Hank Rogers

Dec 9, 2022, 8:39:23 PM12/9/22
Michael Trew wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 1:56, GM wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 8, 2022 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-6, Michael Trew
>> wrote:
>>> Haven't you recently chided me for calling out Janet UK on her
>>> repulsive social behavior -- much similar to the way that you
>>> regularly call out Bruce?
>
> This is in reference to a recent Jill post asking me "Why are you
> doing this?" when I was making a pick at Janet.  Simply put, with
> the way that Janet has treated me, she deserves a taste of her
> medicine.  ...Or as Dave would say, "Yes, Ma'am".
>
>> There ya go...
>>
>> Jill is relentless in slagging others here, but she gets all huffy
>> when "the tables are turned", bawling all over the place that she's
>> some innocent victim...
>
> Are you standing up for Bruce?!  ;)

He better watch it on that slippery slope. The next step is hiking
your leg for bruce.

GM

Dec 9, 2022, 8:49:08 PM12/9/22
This is what they teach kids now:

NY Post

"Elite Chicago prep school dean brags about kids handling sex toys in class

December 9, 2022 1:20pm
Updated

The dean of students at an elite, $42,000-a-year Chicago prep school has been filmed bragging about kids playing with “dildos and butt plugs” in class while getting tips on having “queer sex.”

Joseph Bruno was secretly filmed by Project Veritas talking about the Pride Week event at Francis W. Parker School that included a visit by drag queen Alexis Bevels.

An LGBTQ+ Health Center came in and “they were passing around butt plugs and dildos to my students — talking about queer sex, using lube versus using spit,” Bruno said.

Bruno said "they were passing around butt-plugs and dildos to my students -- talking about queer sex, using lube versus using spit."

He also said "the kids are just playing with 'em."
The dean of students at an elite $42,000-a-year Chicago prep school has been filmed bragging about kids playing with "dildos and butt plugs" in class while getting tips on having "queer sex".

Bruno correctly guessed that the school would stand by the lesson.

“In a classroom, while I’m sitting there,” Bruno said — noting it was for kids as young as 14.

“They’re just, like, passing around dildos and butt plugs … The kids are just playing with ‘em,” he said of the high schoolers.

“They’re like, ‘How does this butt plug work? How do we do — like, how does this work?’” he said, with the drag queen there to “pass out cookies and brownies and do photos.”

In the clip secretly filmed in a coffee shop, Bruno confirmed that he had not told trustees about the sex-toy lesson, insisting he felt no need to because they would find it “wonderful.”

“That’s a real cool part of my job — I don’t have to worry about stuff like that,” he was recorded as saying, bragging about how he had “so much freedom” and “so much money to do stuff” at the school.

Bruno refused to answer questions when Project Veritas chief James O’Keefe confronted him outside the school door — with the guerrilla journalist loudly calling out in front of kids: “Sir! Anal butt plugs and toys?”

However, just as Bruno predicted, the school stood by him — blaming the “far-right activist group” for having twisted an example of its “inclusive, LGBTQ+ affirming, and comprehensive approach to sex education.”

Principal Dan Frank told parents that “we are heartbroken that one of our colleague’s words have been severely misrepresented for a malicious purpose.”

Project Veritas “edited this video with malicious intent,” Frank complained — adding: “We are sickened by this group’s deceptive tactics.”

The Chicago's school letter attacking Project Veritas and standing by Bruno.
Principal Dan Frank told parents that “we are heartbroken that one of our colleague’s words have been severely misrepresented for a malicious purpose.”

“Parker administrators and … Trustees support Parker’s programming, the strength and inclusivity of our curriculum, and the dedicated and talented faculty and staff that teach it,” the school stated firmly..."

GM

Dec 9, 2022, 8:50:56 PM12/9/22
Gadzooks... batten down the hatches...!!!

Call Pepe de Pew...!!!

--
GM

S Viemeister

Dec 9, 2022, 9:29:27 PM12/9/22
On 09/12/2022 23:11, Graham wrote:
> On 2022-12-09 11:49 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>> On 09/12/2022 18:34, Cindy Hamilton wrote
>>> I'd be willing to bet $10 that Michael Trew has
>>> never diagrammed a sentence.
>>>
>> I hated diagramming sentences, mostly due to a rather unpleasant
>> teacher in my freshman year, but I have found it rather useful when
>> editing documents.
>>
> Diagramming? Is that similar to clause analysis?

<https://www.grammarly.com/blog/sentence-diagramming/?>

Graham

Dec 9, 2022, 9:59:33 PM12/9/22
What a strange concept!

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2022, 4:48:39 AM12/10/22
On 2022-12-10, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
> On 12/9/2022 8:48, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> As much as I'd hate to learn all new spellings at this stage,
>> I'd be willing to have regularized English spelling.
>
> An issue with doing that, which I've heard brought up, is that it would
> make it far more difficult to understand historical documents and
> speech; it would become a foreign language to many people.

Have you read much Chaucer? Beowulf? Shakespeare?

How about the Declaration of Independence?

Language changes. It has always changed, and it always is in flux.

> Non
> sentimental people might not be concerned, but generations down the
> road, there would only be a select number of historians who could
> decipher "ancient English", when all modern people are taught sensible
> modern spellings (which will have to keep changing with time).

That's the case even now.

Here: this will get you started:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43926/the-canterbury-tales-general-prologue

And for the advanced reader:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43521/beowulf-old-english-version

We didn't even have a notion of standardized spelling until a
few hundred years ago, and it really wasn't nailed down in the
U.S. until the 1800s. There still is disagreement about some
words.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Bruce

Dec 10, 2022, 5:10:17 AM12/10/22
Ok, Cindy gets the Pompous Award! Make room, Janet!

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Dave Smith

Dec 10, 2022, 9:10:51 AM12/10/22
Chaucer doesn't even look much like English. I had to read it in
university. It was a chore. It helps to have been taught French.

Cindy Hamilton

Dec 10, 2022, 9:47:44 AM12/10/22
We read Ray Bradbury. Shakespeare as well, but I'm young enough
that they started worrying about classes being "relevant" about
the time I hit high school.

--
Cindy Hamilton

bruce bowser

Dec 10, 2022, 12:58:22 PM12/10/22
Right on down to the very last name of "Chaucer, which is old French.

Graham

Dec 10, 2022, 1:47:37 PM12/10/22
On 2022-12-10 2:48 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-12-10, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:
>> On 12/9/2022 8:48, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> As much as I'd hate to learn all new spellings at this stage,
>>> I'd be willing to have regularized English spelling.
>>
>> An issue with doing that, which I've heard brought up, is that it would
>> make it far more difficult to understand historical documents and
>> speech; it would become a foreign language to many people.
>
> Have you read much Chaucer? Beowulf? Shakespeare?
>
> How about the Declaration of Independence?
>
> Language changes. It has always changed, and it always is in flux.
>
>> Non
>> sentimental people might not be concerned, but generations down the
>> road, there would only be a select number of historians who could
>> decipher "ancient English", when all modern people are taught sensible
>> modern spellings (which will have to keep changing with time).
>
> That's the case even now.
>
> Here: this will get you started:
>
> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43926/the-canterbury-tales-general-prologue
>
> And for the advanced reader:
>
> https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43521/beowulf-old-english-version

I have read and have both of those, admittedly the latter in
translation. I last read War & Peace some 55years ago, so it's time to
take it off the shelf and read it again. In this case, the translation
is very important. Some are terrible.

Bruce

Dec 10, 2022, 2:04:30 PM12/10/22
I tried reading War and Peace 2 months ago or so. "Tried" being the
operative word.

--
Bruce
<https://emalm.com/?v=SQqZJ>

Leonard Blaisdell

Dec 13, 2022, 2:32:14 AM12/13/22
I'm a little late for this thread, but thanks for that. I used to be
excellent at diagramming sentences when I was a sophomore in high
school.
Unfortunately, I grew up reading Mark Twain, and he's stayed with me.
My apologies to the group.
It is loading more messages.