Mexican restaurant closed after deer stored in freezer

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 4, 2015, 5:55:17 PM6/4/15
This was three years ago, happened locally, and I don't know
how this story escaped my notice until now but here it is...

http://is.gd/zfMcbV

La Mirada

Jun 4, 2015, 6:08:29 PM6/4/15

cshenk

Jun 4, 2015, 6:23:26 PM6/4/15
Nunya Bidnits wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This was three years ago, happened locally, and I don't know how
> this story escaped my notice until now but here it is...
>
> http://is.gd/zfMcbV

Humm, Frankly there is no place that passes every mark and a basement
fridge not used for food (seemed empty at the time and would be
cleaned) is a non issue to me. The fact that they found dead and dying
roaches in the basement only (apparently not used for food preparation)
means they sprayed recently and all places have to do that and yes, you
will kill a few then clean up.

In 1980 you didnt wear gloves every time you touched food. You washed
your hands and didnt handle cash.

Not sure if this report is anything to worry about.

Carol

William

Jun 4, 2015, 6:37:03 PM6/4/15
The suspect definitely needs lessons on "field dressing, butchering
and wrapping" venison for freezer storage.

William

Message has been deleted

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2015, 7:04:45 PM6/4/15
It's quite plausible the owner did the friend a favor. Was there
any follow-up with Fish and Game?

No good deed goes unpunished.

La Mirada

Jun 4, 2015, 7:10:26 PM6/4/15
On 6/4/2015 4:45 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Doesn't even look like the deer is dressed.

He had to step out quickly and left his tux in the woods.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 4, 2015, 7:17:33 PM6/4/15

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
>Doesn't even look like the deer is dressed. Which means it's
>probably
>roadkill.

>-sw

Correct, not dressed, the article read as if it was an intact
deer. What a bunch of fuckups. Hit a deer? Stuff it in the trunk
and drag it down to your homey's restaurant, and freeze it
solid. Used to be any bad press like that was sudden death for a
restaurant, and it certainly was for Los Alamos Dead Deer
Storage. One of my favorite restaurants got killed off years ago
because of an instance of salmonella from the Caesar salad at
the salad bar, which I had eaten many times. It was really fresh
and authentic tasting Caesar... it was the eggs. It was shut for
good in three months.

But that's not always true any more. What could be worse than a
restaurant where an employee actually poisoned the customers in
an act of revenge against the owners? It happened...
http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2011/06/27/arnoldo-bazan-gets-10-years-for-poisoning-the-salsa-at-mi-ranchito

Yep, and that restaurant not only survived, it expanded
locations and thrived. Here's their current website:
http://miranchitokc.com/

MartyB

La Mirada

Jun 4, 2015, 7:20:26 PM6/4/15
On 6/4/2015 5:17 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> What a bunch of fuckups. Hit a deer? Stuff it in the trunk and drag it
> down to your homey's restaurant, and freeze it solid.

Oh, so now you're down on "homeys", not just "gringos"...

Wow.

Any more bigotry to surface today, Jethro?

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 4, 2015, 7:37:39 PM6/4/15

"cshenk" wrote in message

>Not sure if this report is anything to worry about.

It was for the owners, the place is closed.

Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 4, 2015, 8:33:45 PM6/4/15

"Sqwertz" wrote in message news:juhts1tu...@sqwertz.com...

>That guy should have got more than 10 years. But since he went
>Federal, that means he'll have to serve at least 8.75 years -
>no
>getting out earlier than that.

>-sw

And people still might be looking him up when he gets out.

La Mirada

Jun 4, 2015, 9:17:09 PM6/4/15
What, you going to sell him a nasty used car?
Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Jun 4, 2015, 11:23:10 PM6/4/15
On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 22:18:57 -0500, Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost>
wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:33:39 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" wrote in message news:juhts1tu...@sqwertz.com...
>>
>>>That guy should have got more than 10 years. But since he went
>>>Federal, that means he'll have to serve at least 8.75 years -
>>>no
>>>getting out earlier than that.
>>
>> And people still might be looking him up when he gets out.
>
>I wonder if restaurants carry any sort of liability insurance for shit
>like that. If not, then yeah - I'd be looking that guy up when he got
>out.

If not? I wouldn't care if I was compensated or not, I'd catch up with
the guy once he was back on the streets. Assuming he hasn't the sense
to go into hiding, that is.

La Mirada

Jun 5, 2015, 12:04:08 AM6/5/15
On 6/4/2015 9:18 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'd be looking that guy up when he got
> out.
>
> -sw

You and what army of dwarfs?

La Mirada

Jun 5, 2015, 12:05:16 AM6/5/15
On 6/4/2015 9:23 PM, MediaRe...@KBR.com wrote:
> I wouldn't care if I was compensated or not, I'd catch up with
> the guy once he was back on the streets.

Big mean rabbit killer you...

jmcquown

Jun 5, 2015, 10:11:15 AM6/5/15
His g/f wasn't a very sharp knife, either. :)

Jill

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2015, 1:00:47 PM6/5/15

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 5, 2015, 2:07:36 PM6/5/15

wrote in message

>> It was for the owners, the place is closed.

>But, apparently, not permanently:

>http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-alamos-market-y-cocina-kansas-city-2

Interesting. I pulled up another site yesterday, which showed
the restaurant as closed down. I don’t understand, I read it on
the interwebernet. How could it be wrong? ;-)

La Mirada

Jun 5, 2015, 3:17:05 PM6/5/15
On 6/5/2015 12:07 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> I read it on the interwebernet. How could it be wrong? ;-)

Goat boy news.

Jeßus

Jun 5, 2015, 5:25:04 PM6/5/15
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 10:11:09 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I must have missed that about the g/f?

Also, what in the...

"The health department is requiring written proof that a professional
disposal company removes the deer"

And:

"Out of an abundance of caution, Juarez said he will dispose of the
freezer". Now, someone please tell me why they can't simply clean the
freezer? Deer aren't radioactive, last time I checked.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 5, 2015, 5:42:04 PM6/5/15

"Jeßus" wrote in message

>"Out of an abundance of caution, Juarez said he will dispose of
>the
>freezer". Now, someone please tell me why they can't simply
>clean the
>freezer? Deer aren't radioactive, last time I checked.

I wish the story had gone something like...
A bunch of pinheads hits a deer and drag it to their homey's
restaurant and put it in the freezer, whereupon it immediately
wakes up, kicks the shit out of the freezer, the door flies
open, the injured panicked deer takes down said pinheads, and
takes off into the dining room...

Jeßus

Jun 5, 2015, 6:04:29 PM6/5/15
That could be entertaining if you were a customer, as long as you had
already been served your final course (naturally).

jmcquown

Jun 5, 2015, 7:38:48 PM6/5/15
I wasn't referring to the deer in the freezer, rather the subsequent
link about a former employee and his g/f putting poison in salsa at a
Mexican restaurant:

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2011/06/27/arnoldo-bazan-gets-10-years-for-poisoning-the-salsa-at-mi-ranchito

"Arnoldo Bazan's half-baked revenge plot on the owner of Mi Ranchito has
ended with Bazan going to federal prison for 10 years.

Bazan hatched a plot with his girlfriend, Yini De La Torre, who was a
waitress at the restaurant, to poison the salsa at the Lenexa Mexican
restaurant and serve it to customers. Bazan, with De La Torre's help,
added a Methomyl-based pesticide to salsa on two occasions and served it
to customers."

Jill

Jeßus

Jun 6, 2015, 5:56:58 PM6/6/15
On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 19:38:41 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
Oh yes, sorry.

>Bazan hatched a plot with his girlfriend, Yini De La Torre, who was a
>waitress at the restaurant, to poison the salsa at the Lenexa Mexican
>restaurant and serve it to customers. Bazan, with De La Torre's help,
>added a Methomyl-based pesticide to salsa on two occasions and served it
>to customers."

Nice people, in a Jim Jones kind of way.

jmcquown

Jun 6, 2015, 6:00:11 PM6/6/15
Yeah, trying to screw over the restaurant owner who fired him... might
as well poison some customers while we're at it. Idiots.

Jill

Gary

Jun 7, 2015, 8:26:26 AM6/7/15
Speaking of animals in the freezer, a woman here ran a ferret shelter
and it got out of hand. Someone reported her and her house was raided.
Probably by the Va.Beach SWAT team. hahah

Anyway, lots of live ferrets and almost 100 stored in freezer. The bad
thing is that out of almost 100 live ferrets, my city people KILLED
most of them because they were in bad health. None of the official
shelters even accept ferrets so rather than heal about 60 or so
ferrets (most just needing minimal care to fix them) they just killed
them. No way could they spend our tax dollars on worthless ferrets,
better to save that money for raises in executive salaries, etc.

It was a holocaust story to me. I even emailed PETA (headquarters in
Norfolk only a few miles away). What did PETA do? Absolutely
nothing. They didn't intervene in all the city ferret killing. They
didn't offer their own shelter or money to house and care for them.
The only thing they did was to add me to their mailing list for a few
years begging for money for other issues.

Here's the original news story:
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/woman-home-full-ferrets-says-she-was-running-shelter

Ophelia

Jun 7, 2015, 9:22:14 AM6/7/15

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:5574388B...@att.net...
My latest dog came from a house with 41 dogs and 2 cats which was alive with
fleas. The woman who owned them was dead. (my girl was allergic to the
fleas so didn't have much hair) No one knows when the woman had died but I
presume because the dogs were starving, they were making plenty of noise and
the neighbours complained. The RSPCA broke and found them all. I guess the
woman started out with good intentions and it just got out of hand:( Not
heard anything about the freezer though.

My girl was severely emaciated and in case you are wondering, she is now
filling out nicely and the hair is starting to grow back. She is learning
about life outside that hell. One sad thing .. she doesn't know how to play
or what a ball is for.

If anyone knows how I can teach her ... I would be most grateful. She is
around 4 - 5 years of age.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ed Pawlowski

Jun 7, 2015, 10:43:29 AM6/7/15
On 6/7/2015 8:26 AM, Gary wrote:

> Anyway, lots of live ferrets and almost 100 stored in freezer. The bad
> thing is that out of almost 100 live ferrets, my city people KILLED
> most of them because they were in bad health. None of the official
> shelters even accept ferrets so rather than heal about 60 or so
> ferrets (most just needing minimal care to fix them) they just killed
> them. No way could they spend our tax dollars on worthless ferrets,
> better to save that money for raises in executive salaries, etc.

How does killing a ferret translate to executive salaries? How does
spending the already allocated tax dollars translate to executive
salaries?

Kill a ferret get a raise?

Gary

Jun 7, 2015, 12:32:39 PM6/7/15
The city wouldn't spend the money to house and treat ill ferrets but
they have no problem spending our tax dollars on raises and other city
issues. Come on, Ed. 60 some ill ferrets were killed outright (the
following day) rather than treating them back to good health and
finding them new homes. It was a tax money saving holocaust.

How about someone killing you with a bad cold or the flu just so they
don't have to spend money to treat you.

G.

La Mirada

Jun 7, 2015, 1:33:07 PM6/7/15
I'd recommend getting one of those special strong rubber balls that one
can tuck a treat inside of and working from there.

Once she associates food with the ball it will become a favored object.

If she's sees you load it with a treat then toss it the instinct to
follow and retrieve can be coached with successive loads and throws.

http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-Treat-Puzzle-Rubber/dp/B00JR567HE

http://www.amazon.com/SALE-BUY-GET-Dispensing-Interactive/dp/B00J4PXTA0
Message has been deleted

La Mirada

Jun 7, 2015, 2:15:59 PM6/7/15
On 6/7/2015 12:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Maybe if you were a PETA donor then you'd have a
> right to bitch about them not doing anything.
>
> Cream of Ferret Casserole

_,..._
/__ \
>< `. \
/_ \ |
\-_ /:|
,--'..'. :
,' `.
_,' \
_.._,--'' , |
, ,',, _| _,.'| | |
\\||/,'(,' '--'' | | |
_ ||| | /-' |
| | (- -)<`._ | / /
| | \_\O/_/`-.(<< |____/ /
| | / \ / -'| `--.'|
| | \___/ / /
| | H H / | |
|_|_..-H-H--.._ / ,| |
|-.._"_"__..-| | _-/ | |
| | | | \_ |
| Sqwerty | | | | |
| & | |____| | |
| Marty | _..' | |____|
jrei | |_(____..._' _.' |
`-..______..-'"" (___..--'

Ophelia

Jun 7, 2015, 2:52:09 PM6/7/15

"La Mirada" <Be...@man.zanos> wrote in message
Thank you very much! I will look for one of those:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 7, 2015, 2:57:17 PM6/7/15

"Sqwertz" wrote in message

.On Sun, 07 Jun 2015 08:26:51 -0400, Gary wrote:

>> It was a holocaust story to me. I even emailed PETA
>> (headquarters in
>> Norfolk only a few miles away). What did PETA do?
>> Absolutely
>> nothing. They didn't intervene in all the city ferret
>> killing. They
>> didn't offer their own shelter or money to house and care for
>> them.

>And neither did you. Maybe if you were a PETA donor then you'd
>have a
>right to bitch about them not doing anything.

In any case you'd want to try for support from a local SPCA, who
might even be able to escalate support for lobbying against the
measure it through their national organization. PETA only cares
if you try to eat them. I wonder if they'd sponsor my barbecue
team.

SPCAs however do have shelter and veterinary care, and sponsor
TNR programs and a well funded national base.

MartyB

La Mirada

Jun 7, 2015, 3:34:31 PM6/7/15
I should have posted an Amazon UK link, but you're welcome. I suspect
you'll have a happy little treat retreiver in short order.

:-)

La Mirada

Jun 7, 2015, 3:35:29 PM6/7/15
On 6/7/2015 12:57 PM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> I wonder if they'd sponsor my barbecue team.

Do they back lusers?

Ophelia

Jun 7, 2015, 4:38:08 PM6/7/15

"La Mirada" <Be...@man.zanos> wrote in message
I hope so. She is at the vet again tomorrow for her check up and they have
all kinds of toys in reception. I will look among those:)

Thanks again:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

La Mirada

Jun 7, 2015, 4:46:56 PM6/7/15
Cheers, and that was sweet of you to rescue her.

Ophelia

Jun 7, 2015, 4:54:24 PM6/7/15

>>> I should have posted an Amazon UK link, but you're welcome. I suspect
>>> you'll have a happy little treat retreiver in short order.
>>>

>> I hope so. She is at the vet again tomorrow for her check up and they
>> have
>> all kinds of toys in reception. I will look among those:)
>>
>> Thanks again:)
>>
> Cheers, and that was sweet of you to rescue her.

Not especially, we always take rescue dogs but thank you anyway;)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/