Hummers

Dave Smith

May 14, 2021, 2:41:31 PM5/14/21
I saw my first hummingbird of the season yesterday. It was a really nice
day and I got a lot of work down. I had been out to a local flower stand
to get some more annuals. Luckily, I had not lost any of the flowers
planted last week, despite four nights in a row of frost warnings.
Between buying and planting flowers and tearing out an ugly old Rose of
Sharon I spend about 5 hours gardening. I sat down for a coffee and
heard the hum of the bird. It lingered almost long enough for me to get
a picture.

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 3:01:47 PM5/14/21
Thanks for sharing.

--
The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berlin.de - individual.net

Hank Rogers

May 14, 2021, 3:20:38 PM5/14/21
Walter de Rochebrune wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I saw my first hummingbird of the season yesterday. It was a really
>> nice day and I got a lot of work down. I had been out to a local
>> flower stand to get some more annuals. Luckily, I had not lost any of
>> the flowers planted last week, despite four nights in a row of frost
>> warnings. Between buying and planting flowers and tearing out an ugly
>> old Rose of Sharon I spend about 5 hours gardening. I sat down for a
>> coffee and heard the hum of the bird. It lingered almost long enough
>> for me to get a picture.
>
> Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sniffing.

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:19:19 PM5/14/21

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Walter de Rochebrune

May 14, 2021, 4:19:25 PM5/14/21

The real Walter de Rochebrune posts with uni-berly.de - individual.net

Snag

May 15, 2021, 7:54:43 AM5/15/21
We've been seeing and feeding them since mid-April ... They're
playing he/she games these days and we look forward to seeing nestling
groups at the feeder . Act like rowdy teenagers ...
--
Snag
Race only matters to racists ...

John Kuthe

May 15, 2021, 8:12:18 AM5/15/21
We saw several, as the the remember the good hummingbird feeders. And they showed up early last year too!

Sure sign of Global Warming!

John Kuthe, RN, BSN...

jmcquown

May 15, 2021, 9:23:35 AM5/15/21
Bullshit. Hummingbirds show up when they show up. I saw my first one
this year on March 31st which is about normal for this region. A few
years ago one hummingbird stayed for the winter; I think she was too old
to migrate so I kept the feeder up and freshly filled for her. She was
still around even when the temperatures dropped close to freezing in
January and February (32F).

Jill

dsi1

May 15, 2021, 10:03:34 AM5/15/21
"Hummer" is also a slang term for a "blow job" - do you know what those are, John?

dsi1

May 15, 2021, 10:04:55 AM5/15/21
Do remember that John's hummers are *bi - polar*, lol!

Sheldon Martin

May 15, 2021, 11:43:06 AM5/15/21
On Sat, 15 May 2021 09:23:27 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On 5/15/2021 8:12 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 1:41:31 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I saw my first hummingbird of the season yesterday. It was a really nice
>>> day and I got a lot of work down. I had been out to a local flower stand
>>> to get some more annuals. Luckily, I had not lost any of the flowers
>>> planted last week, despite four nights in a row of frost warnings.
>>> Between buying and planting flowers and tearing out an ugly old Rose of
>>> Sharon I spend about 5 hours gardening. I sat down for a coffee and
>>> heard the hum of the bird. It lingered almost long enough for me to get
>>> a picture.
>>
>> We saw several, as the the remember the good hummingbird feeders. And they showed up early last year too!
>>
>> Sure sign of Global Warming!
>>
>> John Kuthe
>>
>Bullshit. Hummingbirds show up when they show up. I saw my first one
>this year on March 31st which is about normal for this region. A few
>years ago one hummingbird stayed for the winter; I think she was too old
>to migrate so I kept the feeder up and freshly filled for her. She was
>still around even when the temperatures dropped close to freezing in
>January and February (32F).
>
>Jill

Hummers can arrive here at the beginning of May, that's when I'm sure
to put out their feeders, I spotted them three days ago. They'll soon
be building nests in a tall Norway spruce just outside my office
window where they were born, right now it's 72.1ºF... the same tree
where I hang my weather station sender.

Robèrt de Boissigny

May 15, 2021, 2:20:46 PM5/15/21
On Sat, 15 May 2021 11:43:00 -0400, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 15 May 2021 09:23:27 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Bullshit. Hummingbirds show up when they show up.

That's exactly true. No sooner and no later!

>>I saw my first one
>>this year on March 31st which is about normal for this region. A few
>>years ago one hummingbird stayed for the winter; I think she was too old
>>to migrate so I kept the feeder up and freshly filled for her. She was
>>still around even when the temperatures dropped close to freezing in
>>January and February (32F).
>>
>>Jill
>
>Hummers can arrive here at the beginning of May, that's when I'm sure
>to put out their feeders, I spotted them three days ago. They'll soon
>be building nests in a tall Norway spruce just outside my office
>window where they were born, right now it's 72.1ºF... the same tree
>where I hang my weather station sender.

Since this is rec.food.cooking: how do you eat hummingbirds? What
about degut, debone, pan fry in EVOO and then put one each on a little
cracker? With a glass of merlot. Would that work?

Robert de Boissigny

May 15, 2021, 4:58:07 PM5/15/21

Walter de Rochebrune

May 15, 2021, 4:58:51 PM5/15/21

Alex

May 15, 2021, 11:16:12 PM5/15/21
Stutter much?

Sean

May 16, 2021, 2:26:50 AM5/16/21

Gary

May 16, 2021, 6:48:11 AM5/16/21
On 5/15/2021 2:20 PM, Rob�rt de Boissigny wrote:
> Since this is rec.food.cooking: how do you eat hummingbirds? What
> about degut, debone, pan fry in EVOO and then put one each on a little
> cracker?

Hummingbirds are so small, not worth all that work for so little meat.
Best thing is to take '4 and 20' hummingbirds, just split in half and
put into a crockpot topped with water and simmered for 24 hours. Crock
the whole birds, feathers, guts and all then strain it all out when done.

Result is a good, tasty stock for soup or whatever.

> With a glass of merlot. Would that work?

All meals are good with a glass of merlot. Good ingredient to keep in
the house.

Sean

May 16, 2021, 6:51:05 AM5/16/21

Bryan Simmons

May 16, 2021, 8:32:32 AM5/16/21
A Hummer is a large, gas guzzling vehicle. John and Mother Gaia disapprove
of Hummers. A hummer is when a 14, 15, 16, 17 YO girl doesn't know the
lyrics to Cheep Effects songs.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hummer

--Bryan