anyone tried chicken 65?

Unknown User

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
de-lurking for a minute...

I went to an indian restaurant/cafe in atlanta called zyka. they had
this chicken 65 that must be the tenderest chicken on the planet. Its
simply delicious.

I found some recipes on the web but they don't describe what I had.
Zyka's chicken is very lightly breaded and fried (I think), but it
does not taste fried. The stunning red, adds to the visual appeal and
penetrates the meat to a depth I have never seen before.

The restaurant landed in the top 10 in Atlanta magazine solely on the
merits of this one treat.

I have tried a couple of recipes off the web but they are not the
same. I wonder if anyone on this list has any other recipes for
chicken 65.

Thanks.

HP

TJ

Jul 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/5/00
Unknown User wrote:

> de-lurking for a minute...
>
> I went to an indian restaurant/cafe in atlanta called zyka. they had
> this chicken 65 that must be the tenderest chicken on the planet. Its
> simply delicious.
>
> I found some recipes on the web but they don't describe what I had.
> Zyka's chicken is very lightly breaded and fried (I think), but it
> does not taste fried. The stunning red, adds to the visual appeal and
> penetrates the meat to a depth I have never seen before.

Did you look are recipes for Tandoori chicken? It's the only "coloured"
chicken I've seen in Indian cuisine (aside from the yellow of tumeric,
and yes I admit I haven't seen tons of chicken in Indian rest. People
usually order goat where I've dined.)
tj

kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
<delurking for a moment too ;-) >

Hi,

Here's my recipe for Chicken-65.My family enjoys it very much, and hope
you like it too!

For folks who don't know what CHicken-65 is, here's a bit of intro:

It is a spicy curryleaf/chillies flavored chicken that is very very
popular in most restaurants in
Hyderabad, Madras and Bangalore ( South Indian cities). It is a new
creation, and is seen only in cities. Consists of boneless chicken pieces
marinated in ginger garlic paste, cornflour and regular flour and deep fried.
Then it is garnished with fried chillies, curry leaves. Ofcourse, I left out
a lot of ingredients here, so check out the recipe below for detail.

Cheers,
Vinatha

CHICKEN 65
===========

Contributor: Vinatha Kutagula
Preparation time: 1 hr
Cooking Time: 1/2 hr

Ingredients:

Set 1
=====

1lb boneless chicken ( chopped to bite-size pieces)
1 tsp ginger(minced)
1 tsp garlic(minced)
4 tbsp flour
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt

Set 2
=====
4 tbsp thick yogurt
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp dry curry leaves (crushed)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
8 green chillies
2 sprigs curry leaves
red color

Combine the ingredients from set 1, and let the chicken marinate
for one hour. Deep fry the chicken pieces to a golden color.

Mix coriander powder, chilli powder, crushed curry leaves, salt and
red color in the yogurt.

Slit the green chillies lengthwise, and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add green chillies, and fry for a minute. Now,
add the curry leaves and the chicken. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
Pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken, and fry the chicken
till the water in the yogurt evaporates. Squeeze lime juice, as per
taste.

: I found some recipes on the web but they don't describe what I had.

: Zyka's chicken is very lightly breaded and fried (I think), but it
: does not taste fried. The stunning red, adds to the visual appeal and
: penetrates the meat to a depth I have never seen before.

: The restaurant landed in the top 10 in Atlanta magazine solely on the

kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
Just wanted to add:

For it to be tender, do not deep fry it for a long time. It will crisp up
if fried for a long time.

And did I tell you that it is a new creation with a little bit of
Indo-Chinese influences?

kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam wrote:
: <delurking for a moment too ;-) >

Unknown User

Jul 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/6/00
On 6 Jul 2000 20:33:17 GMT, kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam wrote:

>Just wanted to add:
>
>For it to be tender, do not deep fry it for a long time. It will crisp up
>if fried for a long time.
>
>And did I tell you that it is a new creation with a little bit of
>Indo-Chinese influences?
>
>kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam wrote:
>: <delurking for a moment too ;-) >
>
>: Hi,

Hey thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it this weekend.

Does the chicken come out dry or very slightly wet, after the yougurt
is added?

Thanks again.

HP.

kuta...@cs.buffalo.edu.nospam

Jul 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/7/00
I cook it dry till all the yogurt evaporates. I use non-stick cookware to
prevent it from scorching the pan.

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out...

: Hey thanks for the recipe! I am going to try it this weekend.

bu...@my-deja.com

Jul 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/28/00
Want to try Tandoorie Chicken then go to http://www.Angithi.com

In article <396410...@uswest.net>,

kala...@uswest.net wrote:
> Unknown User wrote:
> >
> > de-lurking for a minute...
> >
> > I went to an indian restaurant/cafe in atlanta called zyka. they had
> > this chicken 65 that must be the tenderest chicken on the planet.
Its
> > simply delicious.
> >

> > I found some recipes on the web but they don't describe what I had.
> > Zyka's chicken is very lightly breaded and fried (I think), but it
> > does not taste fried. The stunning red, adds to the visual appeal
and
> > penetrates the meat to a depth I have never seen before.
> >

> Did you look are recipes for Tandoori chicken? It's the
only "coloured"
> chicken I've seen in Indian cuisine (aside from the yellow of tumeric,
> and yes I admit I haven't seen tons of chicken in Indian rest. People
> usually order goat where I've dined.)
> tj

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.