Food

Sheldon Martin

May 28, 2022, 8:05:13 AM5/28/22

Real mowing and real food:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

Thomas

May 28, 2022, 8:41:28 AM5/28/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 8:05:13 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy
Looks like a good life.

Leonard Blaisdell

May 28, 2022, 4:45:27 PM5/28/22
On 2022-05-28, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com> wrote:

> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

Grass fed venison. Yummy!

Hank Rogers

May 28, 2022, 5:57:10 PM5/28/22
Nah. Popeye only fucks those deer and then he lets them go.

He's got a 100% mayan senora, and a barrel of crystal palace when
he wants to get his rocks off and squirt his bedposts.

Michael Trew

May 28, 2022, 10:27:36 PM5/28/22
On 5/28/2022 8:05, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

The potatoes next to the meat look raw, not cooked.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 9:34:19 AM5/29/22
The potatoes don't look like they were roasted, that's for sure. I have
an old meat thermometer similar to that one in a drawer in the kitchen.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

May 29, 2022, 11:10:23 AM5/29/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 09:34:09 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
When red skin potatoes are out of the oven for even a few minutes
those thin skins shrink and make the potatoes look not cooked enough.
They are fully cooked and have been out of the oven for a short time,
same as the roast. It should be obvious that the pan is out of the
oven but the meat thermometer is showing the meat is cooked. Trew
obviously doesn't cook... baked potatoes cool rather quickly and those
thin red skins shrink back. I usually bake potatoes in the same pan
as the roast... that's a fully cooked pork loin roast... if anything
those potatoes are over cooked. It's not a good picture for reading
that meat thermometer but it's easy to see that the meat temperature
is past the point of well cooked.
I've never seen anything that Trew cooked, likely because he doesn't.

Gary

May 29, 2022, 11:28:49 AM5/29/22
On 5/28/2022 8:05 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

Nice pics. Thanks for sending them.

Are you making "the wife" do all the mowing now?
I've never seen you in that asian tractor.

Michael Trew

May 29, 2022, 11:43:35 AM5/29/22
On 5/29/2022 11:10, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> When red skin potatoes are out of the oven for even a few minutes
> those thin skins shrink and make the potatoes look not cooked enough.
> They are fully cooked and have been out of the oven for a short time,
> same as the roast. It should be obvious that the pan is out of the
> oven but the meat thermometer is showing the meat is cooked. Trew
> obviously doesn't cook... baked potatoes cool rather quickly and those
> thin red skins shrink back. I usually bake potatoes in the same pan
> as the roast... that's a fully cooked pork loin roast... if anything
> those potatoes are over cooked. It's not a good picture for reading
> that meat thermometer but it's easy to see that the meat temperature
> is past the point of well cooked.
> I've never seen anything that Trew cooked, likely because he doesn't.

I've posted several times, you just don't pay attention. Sorry that
I've never roasted a red potato, I only bake/roast russet potatoes.

GM

May 29, 2022, 12:22:11 PM5/29/22
What a witless thing to say, they look perfectly cooked... why would Sheldon show a *cooked* roast alongside *uncooked* potaters...

But what would Jill know, with her EZ - Bake Princess Barbie oven, it only gets as hot as the 25 - watt light bulb that powers it...

Jill's chronic "Foot - in - Mouthous" disease has been accelerating as of late, not too long until she's as ga - ga as Kuthe...

Lol...

--
GM

Sheldon Martin

May 29, 2022, 12:28:00 PM5/29/22
wrote:

>On 5/28/2022 10:27 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
>> On 5/28/2022 8:05, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> Real mowing and real food:
>>> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy
>>
>> The potatoes next to the meat look raw, not cooked.
>The potatoes don't look like they were roasted, that's for sure.
>
>Jill

That's because the potatoes were obviously baked along with that pork
roast... if that large cut of pork is cooked through then obviously
the potatoes were cooked through, actually those red skined potatoes
were over cooked. Red skinned potatoes look a lot different from
russets when cooked so don't go by looks.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 12:34:46 PM5/29/22
I've roasted red skinned potatoes before, Sheldon. Those didn't look
like they'd been roasted. The pork roast did, though. :)

Jill

GM

May 29, 2022, 1:04:10 PM5/29/22
Obviously Jill is lying to "save face", that is *exactly* what roasted red taters should look like...

--
GM

André Malraux

May 29, 2022, 3:39:52 PM5/29/22
That's "Oriental" in Sheldon's lingo.

--
André Malraux
<https://cdn.britannica.com/20/109120-050-C8214147/Andre-Malraux.jpg>

Michael Trew

May 29, 2022, 9:11:48 PM5/29/22
I've never roasted red skinned potatoes, but as I said before Jill, they
look just like red skinned potatoes before they are cooked, raw out of
the sack. It's interesting that the look of them doesn't change at all.
If I roast or bake a russet potato, I rub the skin with butter first.
Either way, the potato sure doesn't look the same way.

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 9:14:50 PM5/29/22
I have roasted red potatoes and they don't look like the ones in
Sheldon's picture. But I, too, rub them with butter or oil before
roasting them.

Jill

jmcquown

May 29, 2022, 10:12:03 PM5/29/22
On 5/29/2022 9:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/29/2022 9:11 PM, Michael Trew wrote:

>>> Obviously Jill is lying to "save face", that is *exactly* what
>>> roasted red taters should look like...

Lying to "save face"? What, am I suddenly Asian? Why do I need to
"save face" for voicing an opinion about the look of the potatoes in
that picture?

>> I've never roasted red skinned potatoes, but as I said before Jill,
>> they look just like red skinned potatoes before they are cooked, raw
>> out of the sack.

GM doesn't agree. I don't actually care what GM thinks.

Jill

GM

May 29, 2022, 10:26:45 PM5/29/22
Sheldon wrote above:

"...baked potatoes cool rather quickly and those thin red skins shrink back. I usually bake potatoes in the same pan
as the roast... that's a fully cooked pork loin roast... if anything those potatoes are over cooked..."

Uh, then, Jill, explain to us why the taters do *indeed* have somewhat shrunken skins, with
cracks even in the skins... perhaps you should wipe the Chardonnay from your spectacles, it is *quite*
obvious:

https://postimg.cc/G9C2dGPp

--
GM

Sheldon Martin

May 30, 2022, 12:16:26 PM5/30/22
For baked spuds I never oil the skins.

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 12:24:42 PM6/1/22
And that roast is way overcooked.

-sw

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 12:28:11 PM6/1/22
On Sun, 29 May 2022 11:10:15 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 29 May 2022 09:34:09 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> The potatoes next to the meat look raw, not cooked.
>>
>>The potatoes don't look like they were roasted, that's for sure. I have
>>an old meat thermometer similar to that one in a drawer in the kitchen.
>>
>>Jill
>
> When red skin potatoes are out of the oven for even a few minutes
> those thin skins shrink and make the potatoes look not cooked enough.

Bullshit. We've all baked potatoes. Those are raw.

> that's a fully cooked pork loin roast...

Bullshit again. That's a pork SIRloin roast. They're useless, IMO.

> if anything
> those potatoes are over cooked. It's not a good picture for reading
> that meat thermometer but it's easy to see that the meat temperature
> is past the point of well cooked.

Yes, you killed it. And not in a good way. Even cooked properly,
pork sirloin sucks.

-sw

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 12:31:10 PM6/1/22
Greg will take Sheldon's side and defend him on everything, no
matter how much of a lie. Those potatoes are not cooked.

And that's not a pork loin roast.

-sw

Sqwertz

Jun 1, 2022, 12:52:18 PM6/1/22
On Sat, 28 May 2022 08:05:06 -0400, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

"Real mowing" as opposes to the half-assed mowing you do.

-sw

GM

Jun 2, 2022, 1:10:30 AM6/2/22
When a man chooses to tell a lie it requires thought and a decision. Not so with women, it's part of their DNA and come by it naturally. They actually have to think about it and decide not to.

That's not a scientic finding based on clincal research, but it is my opinion based on observation and experience.

Jill here has shown us a *perfect* example of this truth...

--
GM

bruce bowser

Jun 2, 2022, 1:43:42 PM6/2/22
On Sunday, May 29, 2022 at 10:12:03 PM UTC-4, j_mc...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 5/29/2022 9:14 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Lying to "save face"? What, am I suddenly Asian? Why do I need to
> "save face" for voicing an opinion about the look of the potatoes in
> that picture?
> >> I've never roasted red skinned potatoes, but as I said before Jill,
> >> they look just like red skinned potatoes before they are cooked, raw
> >> out of the sack.
> GM doesn't agree. I don't actually care what GM thinks.

That. And even worse because in a troll's mind anything can happen.

jmcquown

Jun 2, 2022, 2:12:53 PM6/2/22
You're an internet bowser, go clear your history.

Jill

Hank Rogers

Jun 2, 2022, 4:28:46 PM6/2/22
Thank you, your highness <bowing>. We shall never see the likes of
that scruffy bowser scoundrel again.

Forsooth, thou hath disposed of the entire red potato squabble,
your majesty.

Hip hip Hooray from one and all your loyal subjects!

cshenk

Jun 4, 2022, 11:31:00 PM6/4/22
He seems to have pulled the picture back so I can't tell but a roasted
red potato does not look like a raw one.

Most people do not roast red ones unless in foil. They do well steamed
though.

jmcquown

Jun 4, 2022, 11:42:00 PM6/4/22
On 6/4/2022 11:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Michael Trew wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/2022 11:10, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> When red skin potatoes are out of the oven for even a few minutes
>>> those thin skins shrink and make the potatoes look not cooked
>>> enough. (snippage)
>>
>> I've posted several times, you just don't pay attention. Sorry that
>> I've never roasted a red potato, I only bake/roast russet potatoes.
>
> He seems to have pulled the picture back so I can't tell but a roasted
> red potato does not look like a raw one.
>
> Most people do not roast red ones unless in foil. They do well steamed
> though.

I'm sorry, what? Most people don't roast red potatoes unless in foil?
I don't know what you mean by that, Carol.

Jill

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 1:41:06 AM6/5/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 7:05:13 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

Herodotus noted that soft living led to soft men and soft men led to the inevitable downfall of an empire.

Cato agreed.

dsi1

Jun 5, 2022, 3:20:09 AM6/5/22
On Saturday, May 28, 2022 at 2:05:13 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> Real mowing and real food:
> https://postimg.cc/gallery/4xqvCXy

I went to a party tonight. We got some real Hawaiian party food to take home.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V9sYUffLbnnsphG57

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 5, 2022, 5:17:36 AM6/5/22
She alleges that cooking potatoes wrapped in foil in the oven
constitutes roasting. Since roasting is a dry-heat method, her
allegation is without merit.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 5:33:10 AM6/5/22
Cindy, please let us know when you need new batteries.

--
Denis Diderot
<https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/thumbs/denis-diderot-1.jpg>

Bryan Simmons

Jun 5, 2022, 6:27:00 AM6/5/22
That is 100% accurate. Oven frying and air frying are also
bogus terms.

> --
> Cindy Hamilton

--Bryan

jmcquown

Jun 5, 2022, 9:16:49 AM6/5/22
Oh! I've never cooked potatoes (red or otherwise) in foil. I do line
the baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup because I rub the potato
skins with oil or butter.

Jill

Dave Smith

Jun 5, 2022, 9:47:01 AM6/5/22
When cooking meet there is a fine line between roasting and baking. In
my mind, roasting usually involves peeling the potatoes and either
oiling them or cooking them in the pot with the meat and they get turned
in the melted fat. Baked potatoes OTOH are roasted in their skin and
can be wrapped in foil, the latter being necessary in the BBQ or in a coals.

Sheldon Martin

Jun 5, 2022, 10:35:41 AM6/5/22
On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 23:41:42 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
She's sorry because the only potatoes she eats are fast food fries.
LOL
The last time I ate fries was from Nathans, some 50 years ago.
We don't eat potatoes very often, last time we had a 5lb sack of raw
potatoes in our house was more than three years ago, because Tops
Market gave them free with the purchase of a corned beef. The few
times we want potatoes I choose loose ones, for baking or boiling, we
eat them smashed with yogurt. I've never deep fried potatoes or
anything at home. I've never eaten fried chicken, the closest I come
to fried chicken is perhaps once a year we share a rotisserie
chicken... it's been a very long time since I oven roasted a chicken.
The closest we come to roasted poultry is on Thanksgiving when I oven
roast the smallest turkey I can find (a 12-13 pounder), only for
tradition. We make two meals from it and the remainder goes
out to the critters... I put it out in the roasting pan and by morning
it's gone and the pan is licked clean.

jmcquown

Jun 5, 2022, 10:58:40 AM6/5/22
On 6/5/2022 10:35 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 23:41:42 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> wrote:

>>> He seems to have pulled the picture back so I can't tell but a roasted
>>> red potato does not look like a raw one.
>>>
>>> Most people do not roast red ones unless in foil. They do well steamed
>>> though.
>>
>> I'm sorry, what? Most people don't roast red potatoes unless in foil?
>> I don't know what you mean by that, Carol.
>>
>> Jill
>
> She's sorry because the only potatoes she eats are fast food fries.
> LOL

I don't know how you got that impression from her mention of foil. I
think she was talking about wrapping potatoes in foil prior to baking
them. I've never done that.

> The last time I ate fries was from Nathans, some 50 years ago.
> We don't eat potatoes very often, last time we had a 5lb sack of raw
> potatoes in our house was more than three years ago, because Tops
> Market gave them free with the purchase of a corned beef. The few
> times we want potatoes I choose loose ones, for baking or boiling, we
> eat them smashed with yogurt. I've never deep fried potatoes or
> anything at home.

I don't deep fry anything (potatoes or otherwise). I've made plenty of
"oven fried" potatoes but that's a whole 'nuther thing. Those potatoes
are quartered, rubbed with oil, seasoned and roasted. Not wrapped in
foil. I've done some regular fresh cut fries in a cast iron skillet on
the stovetop but they weren't deep fried.

> I've never eaten fried chicken,

Uh, okay. It's not something I cook at home but there is a gas station
that serves excellent fried chicken. Sometimes the guys who work across
the hall at the office will pick some up and say hey, would you guys
like some chicken? I'll take a drumstick, thanks!

> the closest I come
> to fried chicken is perhaps once a year we share a rotisserie
> chicken... it's been a very long time since I oven roasted a chicken.
> The closest we come to roasted poultry is on Thanksgiving when I oven
> roast the smallest turkey I can find (a 12-13 pounder), only for
> tradition. We make two meals from it and the remainder goes
> out to the critters... I put it out in the roasting pan and by morning
> it's gone and the pan is licked clean.

There you go again, tossing food out in the back yard again. Not
happening here. The only thing it would attract is a bunch of raccoons.

Jill

Sheldon Martin

Jun 5, 2022, 11:03:17 AM6/5/22
On Sun, 05 Jun 2022 09:17:29 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
<hami...@devnull.com> wrote:

Shenk has never cooked anything, least I've not seen anything she
cooked... however she's constantly leaking criticisms about things she
knows nothing about. Plus Shenk is a big fat LIAR, she's never served
in the US Navy, she's never served at sea, she's never worn the
uniform. At best she had a job shuffling paper or swabbing toilets at
some civilian DC offuss.

jmcquown

Jun 5, 2022, 11:34:17 AM6/5/22
Wow. First let me say, some people don't post food pictures because all
you do is criticize them. That doesn't mean they don't actually cook.

Secondly, she has talked often enough about being on Navy ships and the
places she and her husband were stationed; she can run circles around
your brief stint as a Navy cook. She made a career out of it. How long
did you serve? Maybe a four year stint?

You're the same guy who claimed there were never US Marines on US Navy
ships during WWII, this despite the fact that the US Navy and the US
Marines are practically joined at the hip. My father (a Marine) served
on the USS General M.L. Hersey (AP-148) in the South Pacific during that
war. That was years before you ever thought about joining the Navy.

Jill

Bryan Simmons

Jun 5, 2022, 11:52:43 AM6/5/22
On Sunday, June 5, 2022 at 9:35:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> I've never eaten fried chicken, the closest I come
> to fried chicken is perhaps once a year we share
> a rotisserie chicken...

No wonder why you're such a grumpy old coot.
Fried chicken is one of the best things about life.

--Bryan

GM

Jun 5, 2022, 11:54:21 AM6/5/22
Lol... Ca - wole is an incredible DIMWIT...

As for the USN, I could see her in "Mchale's Navy", or "The Wackiest Ship in the Army"...

--
GM

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 5, 2022, 12:39:59 PM6/5/22
Peeling is optional. I wouldn't bother.

--
Cindy Hamilton

Dave Smith

Jun 5, 2022, 1:25:15 PM6/5/22
On 2022-06-05 12:39 p.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-06-05, Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> When cooking meat there is a fine line between roasting and baking. In
>> my mind, roasting usually involves peeling the potatoes and either
>> oiling them or cooking them in the pot with the meat and they get turned
>> in the melted fat. Baked potatoes OTOH are roasted in their skin and
>> can be wrapped in foil, the latter being necessary in the BBQ or in a coals.
>
> Peeling is optional. I wouldn't bother.

For me, it depends on the type of potato. If it is a thin skinned potato
I don't bother. Russets aren't the best of roasting, but if we do use
them we peel them.

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 3:43:42 PM6/5/22
On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 09:46:57 -0400, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>On 2022-06-05 5:17 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On 2022-06-05, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, what? Most people don't roast red potatoes unless in foil?
>>> I don't know what you mean by that, Carol.
>>
>> She alleges that cooking potatoes wrapped in foil in the oven
>> constitutes roasting. Since roasting is a dry-heat method, her
>> allegation is without merit.
>>

>When cooking meet

A cooking meet, isn't that what some people from RFC used to do in the
past? Meet somewhere and cook dead animals together?

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 3:45:11 PM6/5/22
You haven't tried pan fried tempeh yet.

Michael Trew

Jun 5, 2022, 10:58:51 PM6/5/22
Boy, that all looks good. Pork ribs, dumplings, sushi, and ??

Michael Trew

Jun 5, 2022, 11:03:30 PM6/5/22
On 6/5/2022 9:16, jmcquown wrote:

> Oh! I've never cooked potatoes (red or otherwise) in foil. I do line the
> baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup because I rub the potato skins
> with oil or butter.
>
> Jill

I can't say that I've ever lined the baking sheet, but I also rub the
potatoes in butter. Baked for an hour+ at 350, I've never had an issue
with making a mess on the aluminum baking sheet, they wipe off easy. I
almost always use my favorite circa 1950's aluminum pan (about 1.5" deep
and 11.25" by 7.5" wide) for baked potatoes. That pan is perfect for
brownies also, although since you are anti-sweet, I can't imagine you
enjoying brownies.

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 11:03:34 PM6/5/22
Probably another dead animal. Hawaii cuisine's very dead animal
oriented.

Michael Trew

Jun 5, 2022, 11:04:56 PM6/5/22
To each their own, but I prefer the skins on all potatoes, in most
cases. I don't like the texture of skins in mashed potatoes, but in
baked/roasted, the skins are my favorite part. I've always been told
that the skins have the most nutrients, but I'm not sure.

Michael Trew

Jun 5, 2022, 11:07:58 PM6/5/22
On 6/5/2022 11:34, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/5/2022 11:03 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>>
>> Shenk has never cooked anything, least I've not seen anything she
>> cooked... however she's constantly leaking criticisms about things she
>> knows nothing about. Plus Shenk is a big fat LIAR, she's never served
>> in the US Navy, she's never served at sea, she's never worn the
>> uniform. At best she had a job shuffling paper or swabbing toilets at
>> some civilian DC offuss.
>>
> Wow. First let me say, some people don't post food pictures because all
> you do is criticize them. That doesn't mean they don't actually cook.

...And you yelled at me for calling Sheldon "Popeye". I calls 'em as I
sees 'em. If he's going to occasionally be an a-hole, he can get it
thrown right back.

Denis Diderot

Jun 5, 2022, 11:09:46 PM6/5/22
Put your teeth back in, son.

dsi1

Jun 6, 2022, 12:57:14 AM6/6/22
I like to clear out of parties without taking food home but the host was too smart for that. She knew how things go down and was determined to not get stuck holding the bag. She made those plates early on and plopped two of them on my lap. Smart girl.
I won an AeroGarden as a grab bag gift. The grab bag gifts were supposed to be around 10 bucks but this was a little over that. This might be a way for me to actually grow something - but maybe not.

dsi1

Jun 6, 2022, 12:58:54 AM6/6/22
It is a Hawaiian death plate but we thank the animal for their loving sacrifice and revere their bodies.

Denis Diderot

Jun 6, 2022, 1:10:33 AM6/6/22
On Sun, 5 Jun 2022 21:58:50 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@hawaiiantel.net>
wrote:
Yes, it's really sweet of the animal.

jmcquown

Jun 6, 2022, 8:15:58 PM6/6/22
On 6/5/2022 11:03 PM, Michael Trew wrote:
> On 6/5/2022 9:16, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Oh! I've never cooked potatoes (red or otherwise) in foil. I do line the
>> baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup because I rub the potato skins
>> with oil or butter.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I can't say that I've ever lined the baking sheet, but I also rub the
> potatoes in butter.  Baked for an hour+ at 350, I've never had an issue
> with making a mess on the aluminum baking sheet, they wipe off easy.

Mine are steel, not aluminum.

> almost always use my favorite circa 1950's aluminum pan (about 1.5" deep
> and 11.25" by 7.5" wide) for baked potatoes.  That pan is perfect for
> brownies also, although since you are anti-sweet, I can't imagine you
> enjoying brownies.

I'm not anti-sweet, I simply don't have much of a sweet tooth. I guess
you forgot I asked about a brownies recipe just a few months ago. I
would be baking those in a buttered and floured square baking pan, not
on a flat baking sheet that I use for baked potatoes.

Jill

jmcquown

Jun 6, 2022, 8:19:28 PM6/6/22
The only reason I criticized your referring to Sheldon as "Popeye" is
because you were new here and following along with the trolls and their
name-calling.

Jill

GM

Jun 6, 2022, 8:28:26 PM6/6/22
Fuck you, Princess...

You look pretty ridiculous trying to 'moderate' this group...

You do a fair amount of "trolling' of your own...

Maybe you should stick one of those penis - shaped skinks up your moldy
old twat, you might be a wee bit happier...

--
GM

Hank Rogers

Jun 6, 2022, 8:37:53 PM6/6/22
Did you remember to curtsy before addressing her majesty?

GM

Jun 6, 2022, 8:45:09 PM6/6/22
"OFF with GM's INSOLENT disrespectful HEAD...!!!", intoned the Red Queen...

lol...

--
GM

Michael Trew

Jun 7, 2022, 9:04:30 AM6/7/22
Oh, sorry, I did forget about that. The aluminum pan that I use has
sides, but it works the same for potatoes or otherwise. I also have
some steel flat baking sheets that have a rim around the edge. Those
ones kind of become seasoned with a black layer over time similar to
cast iron.

Someone gave me a couple of the insulated baking sheets also that are
flat. I'm not sure if they are aluminum or not, but they are always
shiny. Good for cookies, etc. Like this, but looks thicker in person:

https://www.qvc.com/Farberware-Insulated-Bakeware-14%22-x-16%22-CookieSheet.product.K132643.html

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 7, 2022, 9:21:13 AM6/7/22
On 2022-06-07, Michael Trew <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> Oh, sorry, I did forget about that. The aluminum pan that I use has
> sides, but it works the same for potatoes or otherwise. I also have
> some steel flat baking sheets that have a rim around the edge. Those
> ones kind of become seasoned with a black layer over time similar to
> cast iron.
>
> Someone gave me a couple of the insulated baking sheets also that are
> flat. I'm not sure if they are aluminum or not, but they are always
> shiny. Good for cookies, etc. Like this, but looks thicker in person:
>
> https://www.qvc.com/Farberware-Insulated-Bakeware-14%22-x-16%22-CookieSheet.product.K132643.html

I bake potatoes right on the oven rack.

Baking sheets are aluminum half sheet-pans:

<https://www.seriouseats.com/why-baking-sheets-and-cooling-racks-arent-just-for-baking>

I just carried 6 containers of pizza dough to the downstairs fridge on
one of them.

I fairly recently got a quarter-sheet pan. It's remarkably handy for a
two-person house.

--
Cindy Hamilton

S Viemeister

Jun 7, 2022, 9:26:56 AM6/7/22
On 07/06/2022 14:21, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Baking sheets are aluminum half sheet-pans:
>
> <https://www.seriouseats.com/why-baking-sheets-and-cooling-racks-arent-just-for-baking>
>
> I just carried 6 containers of pizza dough to the downstairs fridge on
> one of them.
>
> I fairly recently got a quarter-sheet pan. It's remarkably handy for a
> two-person house.

Yes, the quarter-sheet pans are very handy. I generally line them with a
silicone baking mat.

Graham

Jun 7, 2022, 10:50:31 AM6/7/22
I could do with another proper half-sheet pan. I have 2 along with
several of those cheap cookie pans that are too small to hold a dozen
cookies.
I line mine too. I bought a few non-stick sheets in the UK (Lakeland)
and cut them to fit the pans. For the smaller ones I use non-stick
parchment, also from Lakeland.

S Viemeister

Jun 7, 2022, 11:48:54 AM6/7/22
If we lived closer, I could give you some of mine - we no longer have
big dinner parties. They're fine for the 30 inch oven in NJ, but don't
quite fit the 70cm Smeg in Scotland.

Sheldon Martin

Jun 7, 2022, 12:53:11 PM6/7/22
On Mon, 6 Jun 2022 20:15:48 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
I usually bake potatoes on the wire oven rack... heat is more evenly
dispersed. If I'm making a roast I'll bake potatoes in that same pan.
both on a wire rack. If I'm roasting potatoes in their jackets I don't
oil the skins... I'll sometimes butter the skins when the potatoes are
done but usually I'll squeeze the potato so it pops open and slip in a
pat of butter. There really is no one way to bake potatoes... the one
thing I detest is potatoes baked in foil, those are steamed, the
restaurant method that precludes scrubbing the spuds. When I bake
potatoes in their jackets I scrub them well and de-eye them... potato
eyes contain a toxin.

Graham

Jun 7, 2022, 1:39:03 PM6/7/22
Thanks:-) >20 years I was renovating my kitchen and seriously
considering the smaller European convection ovens. Then Bosch
came out with a 30" one for the N.Am market and I bought it.
Big mistake! Poor design but I'm stuck with it as it's not worth
buying a new oven, given the major reno I would have to undertake.

S Viemeister

Jun 7, 2022, 2:16:25 PM6/7/22
I've had a couple of US 'convection' ovens - they don't perform anything
like the ones I've had in the UK. I just wish the UK ones were big
enough for my half-sheet pans!

Cindy Hamilton

Jun 7, 2022, 2:49:06 PM6/7/22
The advantages of a freestanding range. Our Bosch had the hinge
problem, and the door got very hot. My husband burned himself by
leaning against the stove. We were shopping for a new range pronto.

--
Cindy Hamilton

f...@sdf.org

Jun 7, 2022, 2:50:31 PM6/7/22
On 2022-06-07, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com> wrote:

[...]

> the one thing I detest is potatoes baked in foil, those are steamed

then i have more prison food for you.

at the bbq pit i like slicing potatoes into 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch
thick slices, the larger the potato the thicker the slices, then
alternate onion slices the same thickness between all the potato
slices, wrap them in foil with a couple pats of butter and toss
them on the pit, indirect, for 45 minutes to an hour until tender.

--
f...@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - https://sdf.org

Michael Trew

Jun 9, 2022, 12:29:07 AM6/9/22
On 6/7/2022 9:21, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On 2022-06-07, Michael Trew<michae...@att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, sorry, I did forget about that. The aluminum pan that I use has
>> sides, but it works the same for potatoes or otherwise. I also have
>> some steel flat baking sheets that have a rim around the edge. Those
>> ones kind of become seasoned with a black layer over time similar to
>> cast iron.
>>
>> Someone gave me a couple of the insulated baking sheets also that are
>> flat. I'm not sure if they are aluminum or not, but they are always
>> shiny. Good for cookies, etc. Like this, but looks thicker in person:
>>
>> https://www.qvc.com/Farberware-Insulated-Bakeware-14%22-x-16%22-CookieSheet.product.K132643.html
>
> I bake potatoes right on the oven rack.
>
> Baking sheets are aluminum half sheet-pans:
>
> <https://www.seriouseats.com/why-baking-sheets-and-cooling-racks-arent-just-for-baking>

Interesting. I do use the cooling rack for a couple of those purposes,
especially draining food. Most of my baking sheets are 11.something by
16.something. I always thought those were half-sheets; I guess not.
Either way, they work well for my purposes. I have one sheet that's
difficult to fit into my small older oven. It's a newer sheet. That's
probably a true half-sheet.

Michael Trew

Jun 9, 2022, 12:31:03 AM6/9/22
On 6/7/2022 14:16, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 07/06/2022 18:38, Graham wrote:
>>
>> Thanks:-) >20 years I was renovating my kitchen and seriously
>> considering the smaller European convection ovens. Then Bosch
>> came out with a 30" one for the N.Am market and I bought it.
>> Big mistake! Poor design but I'm stuck with it as it's not worth
>> buying a new oven, given the major reno I would have to undertake.
>
> I've had a couple of US 'convection' ovens - they don't perform anything
> like the ones I've had in the UK. I just wish the UK ones were big
> enough for my half-sheet pans!

Maybe that's why I never thought they were worth it. We had a 70's era
electric convection oven built into the wall, and once also had a
convection toaster oven. I didn't notice much of an improvement, so I
assumed they were a waste.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 10:06:00 AM6/13/22
Sheldon Martin wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jun 2022 09:17:29 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
> <hami...@devnull.com> wrote:

> minutes >>>>> those thin skins shrink and make the potatoes look not
> cooked >>>>> enough. (snippage)

> that >>>> I've never roasted a red potato, I only bake/roast russet
> potatoes. >>>
> roasted >>> red potato does not look like a raw one.

> steamed >>> though.
> > >
> >> I'm sorry, what? Most people don't roast red potatoes unless in
> foil? >> I don't know what you mean by that, Carol.
> >
> > She alleges that cooking potatoes wrapped in foil in the oven
> > constitutes roasting. Since roasting is a dry-heat method, her
> > allegation is without merit.
>
> Shenk has never cooked anything, least I've not seen anything she
> cooked... however she's constantly leaking criticisms about things she
> knows nothing about. Plus Shenk is a big fat LIAR, she's never served
> in the US Navy, she's never served at sea, she's never worn the
> uniform. At best she had a job shuffling paper or swabbing toilets at
> some civilian DC offuss.

Give it up Sheldon. You are just making yourself look foolish.

Yesterday I made up a new recipe, loosely based on Mexican (real
Mexican, not Tex-Mex). I'll post it later.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 10:06:00 AM6/13/22

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:04:28 AM6/13/22
jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/5/2022 11:03 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:

> > Shenk has never cooked anything, least I've not seen anything she
> > cooked... however she's constantly leaking criticisms about things
> > she knows nothing about. Plus Shenk is a big fat LIAR, she's never
> > served in the US Navy, she's never served at sea, she's never worn
> > the uniform. At best she had a job shuffling paper or swabbing
> > toilets at some civilian DC offuss.
> >
> Wow. First let me say, some people don't post food pictures because
> all you do is criticize them. That doesn't mean they don't actually
> cook.

Yup. I think I post pictures fairly often. Not every day of course
but then no one needs to see bread pictures that look largely similar
every week. (Wish Graham would post some though! Lovely breads!). I
thought about trying a Challah too as something 'different'. I'll need
to adapt recipe a bit so it holds shape.

> Secondly, she has talked often enough about being on Navy ships and
> the places she and her husband were stationed; she can run circles
> around your brief stint as a Navy cook. She made a career out of it.
> How long did you serve? Maybe a four year stint?

Probably 4 for him. Shows the level of understanding of an E4,
sometimes seemed a very junior E5 but debatable. Exactly where he
gaps, is where a MS2 (E5, now called CS) comes to the fore.

> You're the same guy who claimed there were never US Marines on US
> Navy ships during WWII, this despite the fact that the US Navy and
> the US Marines are practically joined at the hip. My father (a
> Marine) served on the USS General M.L. Hersey (AP-148) in the South
> Pacific during that war. That was years before you ever thought
> about joining the Navy.
>
> Jill

I missed him claiming that one! How silly! How does he think they got
to places like Iwo Jima? Swimming? My shipboard tours ae a mix of CVN
and Amphibs. Both have Marines. Amphibs in a simplistic view, are
there to transport people and supplies from one place to another.

On the Fort McHenry we had an Army group with us as a test case. The
Gulf was heating up and they wanted to see what type of training
differences would be there if Army had to fill in on Littoral Combat
operations. It was average Army Joes and they did fine but there were
some things that had to be explained as you can guess.

One fun viginette with them was a 'working party'. It was an all hands
stores onload and I mean even the CO/XO were out there. I snagged 1
'Chief' equivalent and 6 of his guys to help down in the hold area to
the main dry goods storage. That ship was unique. They actually did
sea chanties! No other ships that I've been on did that. It was a
unique bit that started topside with a jaunty song then down below, the
idea of singing caught on. There were 9 main storage locations if I
recall right. That means 8 lines. Senior MS's filtering what went to
what lines. SAdly the singing stopped when a change of command
happened. It was sad but oh well.

Sheldon BTW would have been at the end of those lines, stacking stuff
on shelves in holding or securing shelves for heavy weather.

Yup, real Navy life. If you want to eat, you have to help get the food
onboard.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:18:38 AM6/13/22
jmcquown wrote:

> On 6/5/2022 10:35 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 23:41:42 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
> > wrote:

> > > I'm sorry, what? Most people don't roast red potatoes unless in
> > > foil? I don't know what you mean by that, Carol.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > She's sorry because the only potatoes she eats are fast food fries.
> > LOL
>
> I don't know how you got that impression from her mention of foil.
> I think she was talking about wrapping potatoes in foil prior to
> baking them. I've never done that.

I always have. Moister that way. It's just a difference as opposed to
buttering and salting.

> > The last time I ate fries was from Nathans, some 50 years ago.
> > We don't eat potatoes very often, last time we had a 5lb sack of raw
> > potatoes in our house was more than three years ago, because Tops
> > Market gave them free with the purchase of a corned beef. The few
> > times we want potatoes I choose loose ones, for baking or boiling,
> > we eat them smashed with yogurt. I've never deep fried potatoes or
> > anything at home.

We do deep fry at times. 'Daddy Fries' are floured then eggwash then
deep fried. 'Mommie fries' are cast iron pan fried with onions and
spices. 'Mommie fries' are close to hash browns of the cube type but
sometimes done in wedges and very like 'home fries'.

'Mommie fries' are generally spiced, often with curry powders and may
be served with glossy brown gravy. Occasionally with cheese curds so
it's probably close to poutine when I go that route.

> I don't deep fry anything (potatoes or otherwise). I've made plenty
> of "oven fried" potatoes but that's a whole 'nuther thing. Those
> potatoes are quartered, rubbed with oil, seasoned and roasted. Not
> wrapped in foil. I've done some regular fresh cut fries in a cast
> iron skillet on the stovetop but they weren't deep fried.

Good chance those are close to 'Mommie fries' though I may use more
spices.

> > I've never eaten fried chicken,
>
> Uh, okay. It's not something I cook at home but there is a gas
> station that serves excellent fried chicken. Sometimes the guys who
> work across the hall at the office will pick some up and say hey,
> would you guys like some chicken? I'll take a drumstick, thanks!

Don fries chicken sometimes. I actually like the scratch version of
'shake-n-bake' that he does.

> > the closest I come
> > to fried chicken is perhaps once a year we share a rotisserie
> > chicken... it's been a very long time since I oven roasted a
> > chicken. The closest we come to roasted poultry is on Thanksgiving
> > when I oven roast the smallest turkey I can find (a 12-13 pounder),
> > only for tradition. We make two meals from it and the remainder
> > goes out to the critters... I put it out in the roasting pan and by
> > morning it's gone and the pan is licked clean.

Humm, but you post often on baked chicken....

> There you go again, tossing food out in the back yard again. Not
> happening here. The only thing it would attract is a bunch of
> raccoons.

Yup, and rats. No thanks.

Graham

Jun 13, 2022, 11:22:10 AM6/13/22
On 2022-06-13 9:04 a.m., cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Wow. First let me say, some people don't post food pictures because
>> all you do is criticize them. That doesn't mean they don't actually
>> cook.
>
> Yup. I think I post pictures fairly often. Not every day of course
> but then no one needs to see bread pictures that look largely similar
> every week. (Wish Graham would post some though! Lovely breads!).

Thanks but I'm avoiding bread at the moment as I lose weight (down to
78kg/172lbs this morning, BMI 22.
I did bake a couple of loaves 2 weeks ago to try out a SD recipe from
"The Model Bakery" book. Shan't do that again. I'm not afraid of very
wet doughs but the resulting crumb was way too moist.
I'm now experimenting with adapting Dorie Greenspan cookie recipes to
gluten free for a friend who is gluten-intolerant.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:40:03 AM6/13/22
Denis Diderot wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jun 2022 22:58:46 -0400, Michael Trew
> <michae...@att.net> wrote:

> >> I went to a party tonight. We got some real Hawaiian party food to
> take home.
> > >
> >> https://photos.app.goo.gl/V9sYUffLbnnsphG57
> >
> > Boy, that all looks good. Pork ribs, dumplings, sushi, and ??
>
> Probably another dead animal. Hawaii cuisine's very dead animal
> oriented.

Actually, when I lived there, not really. dsi1 however is very much a
meatarian. It paints an odd picture of the place, that jarringly over
time, doesn't match what I saw. It's been too long now to clearly
recall all details 35 years later but some key notes were cabbage (lots
of types), bean sprout fresh kimchee and other uses of bean sprouts.
Lots of eggplant (the Asian ones mostly) and summer squashes. Lots of
fish and pork. Lots of fruit.

Folks here are getting what I think, is a twisted view of what they eat
there. dsi1 isn't doing it deliberately, he's just selecting what he
likes and he's a meatarian.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:40:03 AM6/13/22

jmcquown

Jun 13, 2022, 5:35:58 PM6/13/22
On 6/13/2022 11:04 AM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/2022 11:03 AM, Sheldon Martin wrote:
>
>> You're the same guy who claimed there were never US Marines on US
>> Navy ships during WWII, this despite the fact that the US Navy and
>> the US Marines are practically joined at the hip. My father (a
>> Marine) served on the USS General M.L. Hersey (AP-148) in the South
>> Pacific during that war. That was years before you ever thought
>> about joining the Navy.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I missed him claiming that one! How silly! How does he think they got
> to places like Iwo Jima? Swimming?

It was waaaay back in the 1990's, Carol. Astonished the heck out of me
(and my father when I mentioned it to him!).

Jill

Denis Diderot

Jun 13, 2022, 5:40:07 PM6/13/22
On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 10:39:52 -0500, "cshenk"
<csh...@virginia-beach.net> wrote:

>Denis Diderot wrote:
>
>> Probably another dead animal. Hawaii cuisine's very dead animal
>> oriented.
>
>Actually, when I lived there, not really. dsi1 however is very much a
>meatarian. It paints an odd picture of the place, that jarringly over
>time, doesn't match what I saw. It's been too long now to clearly
>recall all details 35 years later but some key notes were cabbage (lots
>of types), bean sprout fresh kimchee and other uses of bean sprouts.
>Lots of eggplant (the Asian ones mostly) and summer squashes. Lots of
>fish and pork. Lots of fruit.
>
>Folks here are getting what I think, is a twisted view of what they eat
>there. dsi1 isn't doing it deliberately, he's just selecting what he
>likes and he's a meatarian.

Yes, you'd think an island would be more fish oriented and maybe they
are, but dsi1 isn't.

--
Denis Diderot
<https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/thumbs/denis-diderot-1.jpg>

jmcquown

Jun 13, 2022, 5:51:07 PM6/13/22
Is there such a thing as a 'meataterian'? dsi1 in an 'onmivore', like
many of us.

Jill

Denis Diderot

Jun 13, 2022, 5:59:25 PM6/13/22
On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:50:53 -0400, jmcquown <j_mc...@comcast.net>
wrote:
All y'all are also meat eaters aka meataterians aka corpse eaters aka
carcass lickers. Eew!

dsi1

Jun 13, 2022, 6:28:12 PM6/13/22
I think it's pretty bizarre that you guys are discussing/speculating on what my diet might be. Who am I Johnny Fuckin' Depp? Should I start a food blog?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vZytK7Kw1QBimsfw9

Denis Diderot

Jun 13, 2022, 6:36:09 PM6/13/22
You often post food pictures. So clearly you want us to see them. And
then, lo and behold, we may comment on them. See how that works and
starts with you?

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 6:58:31 PM6/13/22
Mom called that a 'patina' and I have no better word for it. In time,
rust proof.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 7:03:05 PM6/13/22
f...@sdf.org wrote:

> On 2022-06-07, Sheldon Martin <penm...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > the one thing I detest is potatoes baked in foil, those are steamed
>
> then i have more prison food for you.
>
> at the bbq pit i like slicing potatoes into 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch
> thick slices, the larger the potato the thicker the slices, then
> alternate onion slices the same thickness between all the potato
> slices, wrap them in foil with a couple pats of butter and toss
> them on the pit, indirect, for 45 minutes to an hour until tender.

In winter, I do them in foil in the coals of the fireplace (to the side
a bit).

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 7:18:39 PM6/13/22
Actually that sounds like fun to try to work out!

I have a friend with mildish gluten intolerance. Not full on Celiac,
but the sort where she'd just feel 'icky'. She found out that some of
the ancient cultivars have a somewhat different gluten structure and
was experimenting so I tried too. Useless for a full celiac person,
but many tolerate spelt and einkorn.

I'm not that partial to the einkorn but the spelt tastes somehow
'breadier than bread' so I now use a 20% spelt to 80% high gluten or AP
to make bread. At 20% spelt, you make minor adjustment due to lower
rise, but it works.

dsi1

Jun 13, 2022, 7:37:58 PM6/13/22
Comment on the food, not me.

Denis Diderot

Jun 13, 2022, 7:52:22 PM6/13/22
On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 16:37:54 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
I comment on what I wanna comment on :)

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:31:13 PM6/13/22
LOL, ok. I was here then for a bit. We still had IRC chat nights
then. Once we moved, I didn't have newsgroup access when living out in
town. It only came back with base housing. You probably see me a
little from 2003-2007 but I was at sea so much, I probably left little
memory here.

Might be a little bit. Likely used csh...@techemail.com or the base
.jp email address?

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:31:13 PM6/13/22

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:33:52 PM6/13/22

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:33:52 PM6/13/22
I think that's a fair assessment. It really isn't deliberate, it's
just what he likes best that we see. No harm, it's always fun seeing
his pictures.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:36:59 PM6/13/22
Be at ease David. You do post plenty of fish/seafoods in the mix. My
reasonable guess is more than most here are used to eating but to me it
seems normal.

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:36:59 PM6/13/22

cshenk

Jun 13, 2022, 11:40:59 PM6/13/22
Yes, of course but he's very far from vegetarian! If it helps, I
consider fish/seafood to be meat.

Meatarian is just a play on words from Jurrasic Park.

Denis Diderot

Jun 14, 2022, 12:54:02 AM6/14/22
On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 22:33:42 -0500, "cshenk"
True.

dsi1

Jun 14, 2022, 3:08:03 AM6/14/22
We had a pizza at the mall for dinner. The toppings could have been more evenly spread. I grabbed the piece with a lot of Portuguese sausage. Eating it actually made me happy. That hasn't happened for a long time. Afterwards, we had a Plum Bear Freeze. It had some ice cream and some strawberry Icee with some Gummi bears, and preserved mango, grated pickled plums, and red plum powder. It was sweet, sour, and salty, and astonishingly good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqC3Cp1ZeKhQ7GnJ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DgEvG2umy2i6AwoHA

Denis Diderot

Jun 14, 2022, 3:11:59 AM6/14/22
See? There's the old meat lover again! We told you!

>That hasn't happened for a long time.

Well, remember this experience. Feel down? Portuguese sausage!
It is loading more messages.