Craig Wollam

VIVIAN. HSU

Jul 6, 1994, 10:27:33 AM7/6/94
Can anyone tell me what he does other than _The Frugal Gourmet_? And where
he studied? And how he got his job? Am I asking too much???

Every time I see him on the show, he seems so competent. In comparison,
Jeff Smith just blunders along. I remember in the earlier years when J.S.
would constantly refer to his cook Craig, and how much I wanted to see
him, and how nervous he seemed in the beginning. Anyway, I like him. I
like him a lot.

Vivian

Eric Thompson

Jul 6, 1994, 2:24:56 PM7/6/94
In article <r6y6.163...@unbsj.ca>, VIVIAN. HSU <r6...@UNBSJ.CA> wrote:

>Every time I see him on the show, he seems so competent. In comparison,
>Jeff Smith just blunders along. I remember in the earlier years when J.S.
>would constantly refer to his cook Craig, and how much I wanted to see
>him, and how nervous he seemed in the beginning. Anyway, I like him. I
>like him a lot.

While I will concede that Craig has gotten a *lot* less nervous, I still
think he is the most singularly annoying personality on public television,
and I'm including Barney in that group. He's pretentious, wears those
god-awful chef's whites (something *I* always have hanging around the
kitchen), and while a skilled technician, he's just too *too*. He's not
Jeff. He's Natalie Dupree in chef's whites.

Cheers,

Eric

BTW, My Three Nominations:

1. Natalie Dupree
2. Paul Boucuse
3. Lynn Fischer

Steve Bainbridge

Jul 6, 1994, 7:01:12 PM7/6/94
In article <2vesto$m...@jupiter.willamette.edu> etho...@willamette.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:
>From: etho...@willamette.edu (Eric Thompson)
>Subject: Re: Craig Wollam
>Date: 6 Jul 1994 11:24:56 -0700

>Cheers,

>Eric

No, he's not Jeff. But I would nominate Jeff for the position you've
nominated Craig for. Jeff's smugness and sanctimony have always been
annoying, but now the show is impossible to watch. He doesn't demonstrate
cooking techniques. He makes all these idiotic observations. And, given how
many commercials he's doing these days, his occasional bits of liberal
theology are starting to sound pretty hypocrtical.

Lori Lee Darrow

Jul 7, 1994, 2:39:28 PM7/7/94

> >In article <r6y6.163...@unbsj.ca>, VIVIAN. HSU <r6...@UNBSJ.CA> wrote:
> >>
> >>Every time I see him on the show, he seems so competent. In comparison,
> >>Jeff Smith just blunders along. I remember in the earlier years when J.S.
> >>would constantly refer to his cook Craig, and how much I wanted to see
> >>him, and how nervous he seemed in the beginning. Anyway, I like him. I
> >>like him a lot.

Personally, I think that Craig's a cutie, and he can cook for me any time
(with or without the whites)!

"I used to have something inside. Now just this hole that's open wide."
Nine Inch Nails
The opinions expressed above are not representative of Lockheed, NASA, or
the US Government in general. They're all mine.

Sandra Vigil

Jul 8, 1994, 3:13:08 PM7/8/94
etho...@willamette.edu (Eric Thompson) writes:

>He's pretentious, wears those
>god-awful chef's whites (something *I* always have hanging around the
>kitchen), and while a skilled technician, he's just too *too*.

I wasn't sure whether to be surprised about his or not: I was at a book
signing at Barnes & Noble a few months ago. Jeff and Craig were both
there, Jeff in his apron and Craig in his chef's whites. Talk about
staying in character.

I still like Craig though.

/S
--
"You can either be a completely informed * *
baseball fan or you can have a life." Sandra Vigil

John W. Stewart III

Jul 10, 1994, 3:34:33 PM7/10/94

Eric Thompson <etho...@willamette.edu> wrote:
>In article <r6y6.163...@unbsj.ca>, VIVIAN. HSU <r6...@UNBSJ.CA> wrote:
>>
>>Every time I see him on the show, he seems so competent. In comparison,
>>Jeff Smith just blunders along. I remember in the earlier years when J.S.
>>would constantly refer to his cook Craig, and how much I wanted to see
>>him, and how nervous he seemed in the beginning. Anyway, I like him. I
>>like him a lot.
>>

>While I will concede that Craig has gotten a *lot* less nervous, I still
>think he is the most singularly annoying personality on public television,
>and I'm including Barney in that group. He's pretentious, wears those
>god-awful chef's whites (something *I* always have hanging around the
>kitchen), and while a skilled technician, he's just too *too*. He's not
>Jeff. He's Natalie Dupree in chef's whites.

Hey -- come on, play fair! I'm not saying that I really
like Craig, but he is an *employee* of Jeff Smith. Also,
I would bet that there is a certain amount of "apprentice/
master" relationship between the two of them: it's arguable
today, but at least several years ago, Jeff Smith seemed to
be a genuinely dear person. I agree that Craig seems quite
competent, and that doesn't come for free, but he certainly
owes something of his fame to Jeff Smith.

Let's keep our comments on people a bit less personal. (I'm
not saying this just because of the posting I'm replying to;
the thread on "which TV chef you *hate* most" is pretty
disturbing, too!)

/jws

davi...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2015, 4:32:37 AM7/4/15
Frankly, I think that a lot of the research and recipe development came from Craig Wollam or other staffers at WTTW in Chicago. (I've never seen any of the earlier Smith video from Tacoma in the 1970's.)

What most comments fail to take into account was that Smith was essentially a philosopher, not a chef. He often referred to a course he taught, "Food As Sacrament". Thia gives more insight into cooking, eating, and religion. His show was, at the start, never meant to be a step-by-step guide to culinary perfection. It was meant to make the home cook THINK about what he was doing, why, and for whom. It was meant to broaden the viewr's cultural and culinary horizons.

Back to Mr. Wollam: I don't know exactly when he fell in with the Smith production team, but I truly believe that he did a lot of the off-camera work as the show gained attention. Half of the US could probably do a proper mirepoix if you stood over their shoulder, but very few could taste a finished dish and tell you whether the ingredients were minced or chopped brunoise. Craig is one of that small percentage.

Wollam was the food professional; Smith was a food philosopher. Paul Bocuse was a chef; Paul Cezanne was a food fantasizer.

I'll miss Smith, not for his techniques (because they were awful), but for his multidisciplinary approach to food.

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2015, 8:01:42 AM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 01:32:33 -0700 (PDT), davi...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 6, 1994 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-4, VIVIAN. HSU wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what he does other than _The Frugal Gourmet_? And where
>> he studied? And how he got his job? Am I asking too much???
>>

>Frankly, I think that a lot of the research and recipe development came from Craig Wollam or other staffers at WTTW in Chicago. (I've never seen any of the earlier Smith video from Tacoma in the 1970's.)
>
>What most comments fail to take into account was that Smith was essentially a philosopher, not a chef. He often referred to a course he taught, "Food As Sacrament". Thia gives more insight into cooking, eating, and religion. His show was, at the start, never meant to be a step-by-step guide to culinary perfection. It was meant to make the home cook THINK about what he was doing, why, and for whom. It was meant to broaden the viewr's cultural and culinary horizons.
>
>Back to Mr. Wollam: I don't know exactly when he fell in with the Smith production team, but I truly believe that he did a lot of the off-camera work as the show gained attention. Half of the US could probably do a proper mirepoix if you stood over their shoulder, but very few could taste a finished dish and tell you whether the ingredients were minced or chopped brunoise. Craig is one of that small percentage.
>
>Wollam was the food professional; Smith was a food philosopher. Paul Bocuse was a chef; Paul Cezanne was a food fantasizer.
>
>I'll miss Smith, not for his techniques (because they were awful), but for his multidisciplinary approach to food.

Wow, since 1994 finally a good answer.

Sad that the guy ended his TV career on a shameful note.

Smith single handedly brought balsamic vinegar to the US. Hardly
anyone ever heard of it until he started to use it. Same with the
citrus reamers that became very popular.

He really made it simple for many of us to upgrade our cooking from
using mom's recipes to some new adventures.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Jul 4, 2015, 9:51:52 AM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 7:01:42 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 01:32:33 -0700 (PDT), davi...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, July 6, 1994 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-4, VIVIAN. HSU wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone tell me what he does other than _The Frugal Gourmet_?
>
> Wow, since 1994 finally a good answer.

You noticed that, too. Don't you just love these
20+ year old threads that have been resurrected?

Ed Pawlowski

Jul 4, 2015, 10:29:14 AM7/4/15
My guess is the come from new users on Google Groups that are reading
them for the first time.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 4, 2015, 10:54:31 AM7/4/15

wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what he does other than _The Frugal
> Gourmet_? And where
> he studied? And how he got his job? Am I asking too much???

Congrats, a 21 year old post... you're the RFC archaeologist of
the day.

Troll Disposal Service

Jul 4, 2015, 11:40:54 AM7/4/15
On 7/4/2015 8:54 AM, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> you're the RFC archaeologist of the day.

NO ONE CARES!

...dump!

____.-.____
[__Sqwerty__]
[___Marty___]
(d|||TROLL|||b)
`|||TRASH|||`
`"""""""""'
\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

Acme Bully Control

Jul 4, 2015, 12:38:30 PM7/4/15

"Troll Disposal Service" wrote in message

FRAUD impersonation of me posted on eternal-september, this is
NOT my news server any more.

"Troll Disposal Service" wrote ...

>Aioe.org NNTP Server

Note that this is my new news server, aioe. org. All other posts
are forgeries. Posts from Troll Disposal Service and Acme Bully
Control on any other server are illegal forgeries and frauds.
Please report them promptly.

jmcquown

Jul 4, 2015, 1:17:23 PM7/4/15
On 7/4/2015 9:51 AM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> You noticed that, too. Don't you just love these
> 20+ year old threads that have been resurrected?

That's Google Groups for ya. The very thing dsi1 thinks should be the
"future" of Usenet. LOL

Jill

jmcquown

Jul 4, 2015, 1:18:10 PM7/4/15
They always do... and Vivian (whoever she was) is long gone and will
never read the reply.

Jill

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 1:54:36 PM7/4/15
jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Grin, Vivian was pretty fun to read! I think she dropped out around
2001 but not sure.

Carol

jmcquown

Jul 4, 2015, 2:16:41 PM7/4/15
I didn't discover rfc until around 1997 so no, I don't really remember
Vivian. I do know people who are using Google Groups stumble onto these
posts from long ago and dredge them up from time to time. The posters
don't tend to bother to come back to find out if they got a response.
Flash & Go... onto whatever it is they do while they're out of school. :)

Jill

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 2:54:45 PM7/4/15
Thats true Jill! Some do almost a drive by shooting. On being here, I
was sort of occasional checker back from 1995 but I don't recall the
email I used then and i was a lurker, rarely posted then. I don't
think I had a recognizable foot print before around 2007 or so.
Dabbles in it before then but more like i recognize names, than folks
recognized me from before then.

Carol

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 5:13:09 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 01:32:33 -0700 (PDT), davi...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 6, 1994 at 1:50:39 PM UTC-4, VIVIAN. HSU wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me what he does other than _The Frugal Gourmet_? And where
>> he studied? And how he got his job? Am I asking too much???
>>
>> Every time I see him on the show, he seems so competent. In comparison,
>> Jeff Smith just blunders along. I remember in the earlier years when J.S.
>> would constantly refer to his cook Craig, and how much I wanted to see
>> him, and how nervous he seemed in the beginning. Anyway, I like him. I
>> like him a lot.
>>
>> Vivian
>
>Frankly, I think that a lot of the research and recipe development came from Craig Wollam or other staffers at WTTW in Chicago. (I've never seen any of the earlier Smith video from Tacoma in the 1970's.)

<snip>

Google groups strikes again. There's been a spate of these posts
across all groups for at least 6 months now. Am curious as to why that
is...

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 4, 2015, 6:24:24 PM7/4/15
I've no idea. I use Google Groups, but it shows me newest posts
first. I'm not about to scroll through tens of thousands of subjects
to find something from 1994.

Cindy Hamilton

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 6:32:09 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:24:21 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
<angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Yeah, it's been many years since I looked at the posting side of
google groups, so I really don't know what's going on there. All I
know is these posts have been seemingly randomly appearing over all
sorts of groups. Most odd.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 6:46:54 PM7/4/15
I never said that Google Groups should be anything. Any idiot that's not blind to what's going on around him would see that the world is moving away from desktop computing and onto mobile devices and Google OSes. We're moving away from using desktop client programs like Forte Agent and Microsoft Office and towards web-based programs. If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?

I don't think the future should be anything. Our fears, hopes, and desires, have little control over the future. Web-based applications are a reality here and now. Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this. Feel free to live in your little bubble. I have no problem with people sticking their fingers in their ears and going "nah nah nah nah!" Just don't make me a fall guy for your ignorant world view.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:28:30 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:46:44 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:

> >> That's Google Groups for ya. The very thing dsi1 thinks should be the
> >> "future" of Usenet. LOL
> >>
> >> Jill
> >
> >I never said that Google Groups should be anything. Any idiot that's not blind to what's going on around him would see that the world is moving away from desktop computing and onto mobile devices and Google OSes. We're moving away from using desktop client programs like Forte Agent and Microsoft Office and towards web-based programs. If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> You're right about mobility and about using multiple devices. But
> that's no reason to make a bad web-based newsreader like GG. It
> wouldn't have been very hard for them to make a decent one.
>
> But you know so little about Usenet, that you can't see how bad GG is.
> And you won't accept anything from anybody.
>
> --
> Bruce
Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 7:40:12 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?

How about you don't? Great logic you have there - using something
entirely inappropriate and incompatible, instead of using something
designed for the job.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:40:31 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 15:46:44 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:

> >> That's Google Groups for ya. The very thing dsi1 thinks should be the
> >> "future" of Usenet. LOL
> >>
> >> Jill
> >
> >I never said that Google Groups should be anything. Any idiot that's not blind to what's going on around him would see that the world is moving away from desktop computing and onto mobile devices and Google OSes. We're moving away from using desktop client programs like Forte Agent and Microsoft Office and towards web-based programs. If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> You're right about mobility and about using multiple devices. But
> that's no reason to make a bad web-based newsreader like GG. It
> wouldn't have been very hard for them to make a decent one.
>
> But you know so little about Usenet, that you can't see how bad GG is.
> And you won't accept anything from anybody.
>
> --
> Bruce

Google groups is pretty good. I don't get any line warping problems and it even cleans up the posts so I don't have to wade through a bunch of stacked quote. It makes posts a lot more readable.

Of course all that is pretty irrelevant because in the end, I have to use a web based program to post to newsgroups on a Chromebook. If you're such a clever lad, you tell me what my options are. Or are you just a person that likes to complain endlessly? I promise to give it a go but you gotta give me something besides bitching.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:42:27 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:30:34 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> You're right about mobility and about using multiple devices. But
> >> that's no reason to make a bad web-based newsreader like GG. It
> >> wouldn't have been very hard for them to make a decent one.
> >>
> >> But you know so little about Usenet, that you can't see how bad GG is.
> >> And you won't accept anything from anybody.
> >>
> >If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> If I had to, I'd rather wait until I had access to any normal news
> reader.
>
> --
> Bruce

I have no problems with the choices you make. That doesn't help me at all.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:49:33 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:40:12 PM UTC-10, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> How about you don't? Great logic you have there - using something
> entirely inappropriate and incompatible, instead of using something
> designed for the job.

Where do you get off giving advice on things you don't even use. Quit being a fuckwit. Oh, I forgot... this is rfc. That's the norm. Excuse me if I ignore your advice from fantasyland. Hee hee.

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 7:49:36 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:42:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:30:34 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> >>
>> >If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>>
>> If I had to, I'd rather wait until I had access to any normal news
>> reader.
>>
>I have no problems with the choices you make. That doesn't help me at all.

I know how you feel. I wanted people to tell me how I can turn my
toaster into an intergalactic space ship, but got no help at all.
They're all idiots out there, I tells ya.

Then again, you're the resident tech guru here - why don't you write
one for the POS?

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:52:46 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:48:11 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:40:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> >> You're right about mobility and about using multiple devices. But
> >> that's no reason to make a bad web-based newsreader like GG. It
> >> wouldn't have been very hard for them to make a decent one.
> >>
> >Google groups is pretty good. I don't get any line warping problems and it even cleans up the posts so I don't have to wade through a bunch of stacked quote. It makes posts a lot more readable.
>
> It may look good on your side, but people on the other side are
> complaining.
>
> >Of course all that is pretty irrelevant because in the end, I have to use a web based program to post to newsgroups on a Chromebook. If you're such a clever lad, you tell me what my options are. Or are you just a person that likes to complain endlessly? I promise to give it a go but you gotta give me something besides bitching.
>
> I don't know anything about Chromebooks. But if I had to use GG, I'd
> try to clear up the mess manually. Insert manual line breaks, for
> instance.
>
> --
> Bruce

As I have said - there's none of those problem with Google Groups. The formatting comes out beautifully. What's the problem?

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 7:56:48 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:49:36 PM UTC-10, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:42:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
Why don't you deal with your own problems - fuckwit.

Thanks for learning me my newest favorite word from other lands. It has that certain old world charm - you fuckwit. Hopefully, it won't get me banned from Google Groups. :-)

cshenk

Jul 4, 2015, 7:58:02 PM7/4/15
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Help me out here? I have a tablet with chrome and use it for
newsgroups. Do you mean something else?

Carol

--

Message has been deleted

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 8:10:43 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:56:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:49:36 PM UTC-10, Je�us wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:42:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:

>> >I have no problems with the choices you make. That doesn't help me at all.
>>
>> I know how you feel. I wanted people to tell me how I can turn my
>> toaster into an intergalactic space ship, but got no help at all.
>> They're all idiots out there, I tells ya.
>>
>> Then again, you're the resident tech guru here - why don't you write
>> one for the POS?
>
>Why don't you deal with your own problems - fuckwit.

My only problem is deciding whether I should poach or boil some eggs
this morning.

>Thanks for learning me my newest favorite word from other lands. It has that certain old world charm - you fuckwit. Hopefully, it won't get me banned from Google Groups. :-)

You haven't noticed yet that it isn't working on me. Your attempt at
insults, I mean. You're really bad at it. Much like your tech
'knowledge' really.

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 8:16:16 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:49:30 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:40:12 PM UTC-10, Je�us wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>>
>> How about you don't? Great logic you have there - using something
>> entirely inappropriate and incompatible, instead of using something
>> designed for the job.
>
>Where do you get off giving advice on things you don't even use.

Because you're a pig-ignorant ignoramus who doesnt care about Usenet
(and stated that elsewhere in the thread), or other users of Usenet.

>Quit being a fuckwit. Oh, I forgot... this is rfc. That's the norm.
>Excuse me if I ignore your advice from fantasyland. Hee hee.

'My guess' is that without your family, you'd have nothing and would
be either be a vagrant, or be very familiar with hair nets. Somebody
like you without an ounce of common sense wouldn't get far without a
lot of help.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 8:46:45 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:59:26 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:52:43 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> So much for "I promise to give it a go". As I said, the problem's on
> the other side. On the side of the majority of people who use real
> newsreaders. But you don't care about other people :) Then you'll just
> have to accept that you'll get the occasional complaint and that some
> people won't read your posts.
>
> --
> Bruce

The reality is that you are completely clueless about posting to newsgroups in this new age of computing. Thanks for wasting my time. Rest assured that you won't get that chance again.

dsi1

Jul 4, 2015, 8:48:06 PM7/4/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 2:10:43 PM UTC-10, Je�us wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:56:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
You're the one that brought up "fuckwit" - fuckwit. :-)

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 8:52:46 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:48:02 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 2:10:43 PM UTC-10, Je?us wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:56:45 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:

>> >Why don't you deal with your own problems - fuckwit.
>>
>> My only problem is deciding whether I should poach or boil some eggs
>> this morning.
>>
>> >Thanks for learning me my newest favorite word from other lands. It has that certain old world charm - you fuckwit. Hopefully, it won't get me banned from Google Groups. :-)
>>
>> You haven't noticed yet that it isn't working on me. Your attempt at
>> insults, I mean. You're really bad at it. Much like your tech
>> 'knowledge' really.
>
>You're the one that brought up "fuckwit" - fuckwit. :-)

And?

Jeßus

Jul 4, 2015, 8:56:32 PM7/4/15
On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:46:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The reality is that you are completely clueless about posting to newsgroups in this new age of computing.
>Thanks for wasting my time. Rest assured that you won't get that chance again.

<fixed the fucked up line wrapping again)

Yeah. You want to take every single aspect of what makes Usenet
special and useful (such as efficiency and simplicity), and turn it
into some sort of bloated moronic web blog/forum. Yeah. We don't have
enough of them yet, do we?
Message has been deleted

Gary

Jul 5, 2015, 4:11:31 AM7/5/15
"Jeßus" wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:46:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >The reality is that you are completely clueless about posting to newsgroups in this new age of computing.
> >Thanks for wasting my time. Rest assured that you won't get that chance again.
>
> <fixed the fucked up line wrapping again)

I see you use Agent. You should have an option to turn on "Word Wrap"
in the Message section across the top of window. That should fix it
for you.

Xeno

Jul 5, 2015, 5:43:26 AM7/5/15
My iPad would have to be right up there in this new age of computing and it
has a client for newsgroups - newstap! No doubt all the new age android
devices would be similarly supplied so just what is the issue? Should be
one for your Chromebook too.
--
Xeno

Xeno

Jul 5, 2015, 5:43:27 AM7/5/15
Oddly enough, you have the same range of choices. I looked at the
limitations of net books, bought an iPad instead.
--
Xeno

Xeno

Jul 5, 2015, 5:43:29 AM7/5/15
Bruce <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:03:48 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> You're right about mobility and about using multiple devices. But
>>> that's no reason to make a bad web-based newsreader like GG. It
>>> wouldn't have been very hard for them to make a decent one.
>>>
>>> But you know so little about Usenet, that you can't see how bad GG is.
>>> And you won't accept anything from anybody.
>>>
>> If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to
>> Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> If I had to, I'd rather wait until I had access to any normal news
> reader.

Yep, the plague would be preferable to GG

--
Xeno

Xeno

Jul 5, 2015, 5:43:32 AM7/5/15
You could try buying a real laptop. That would be a start.

--
Xeno

spamtr...@gmail.com

Jul 5, 2015, 5:58:22 AM7/5/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 3:46:54 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 7:17:23 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 7/4/2015 9:51 AM, itsjoan...@webtv.net wrote:
> > > You noticed that, too. Don't you just love these
> > > 20+ year old threads that have been resurrected?
> >
> > That's Google Groups for ya. The very thing dsi1 thinks should be the
> > "future" of Usenet. LOL
> >
> > Jill
>
> I never said that Google Groups should be anything. Any idiot that's not blind to what's going on around him would see that the world is moving away from desktop computing and onto mobile devices and Google OSes. We're moving away from using desktop client programs like Forte Agent and Microsoft Office and towards web-based programs. If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?

I have seen the future, and it is an iPhone half the size of an iPad.
Everybody over 40 has trouble staring at a tiny screen, and the
necessity of using a specific app to perform any task -- resulting
in screen after screen of tiny icons -- makes mobile devices all but
unusable.
Message has been deleted

dsi1

Jul 5, 2015, 6:26:33 AM7/5/15
There's no way in hell that I would get another windows laptop. I prefer the Chromebook. It's the main computer that I use at home. I have a Windows tablet. I don't want to load Thunderbird or Agent (hee hee) on that machine. Why are so interested in what I do? Do your consider my business your business? That cracked!

dsi1

Jul 5, 2015, 6:29:35 AM7/5/15
I have no problem with your speculating on the future. You should be encouraged to use your imagination. I doubt we're be using tablets and fingers on a screen as an interface.
Message has been deleted

Xeno

Jul 5, 2015, 8:00:23 AM7/5/15
So, get a Win laptop, dump the Win and put Chrome on it. At least you
would STILL be able to use a decent usenet client.

> I have a Windows tablet. I don't want to load Thunderbird or Agent
> (hee hee) on that machine. Why are so interested in what I do?

You were the one complaining about not having a client to run usenet and
having GG as your sole option.

Do your consider my business your business? That cracked!

You post here, you make your business every one else's business. That's
how it works with public forums. You want to keep something private, you
don't use or discuss it here.

--

Xeno

Cindy Hamilton

Jul 5, 2015, 12:30:52 PM7/5/15
On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 8:01:42 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Wow, since 1994 finally a good answer.

It cracks me up that in 1994 this thread died after 6 posts. After
its revival, it garnered another 47 posts.

Who says Usenet is dead?

Cindy

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:43:41 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 5:40 PM, investor...@fmgl.com.au wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 16:28:25 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If you're such a smartypants, you tell me how I'm suppose to post to Usenet on a Chromebook?
>
> How about you don't?

How about you do life a favor and KILL yourself!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:45:06 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 5:49 PM, investor...@fmgl.com.au wrote:
> why don't you write
> one for the POS?

WHY DON'T YOU SUCK ON A SHOTGUN.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:46:42 PM7/5/15
Hee hee!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:47:39 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 6:10 PM, investor...@fmgl.com.au wrote:
> My only problem is deciding whether I should poach or boil some eggs
> this morning.

Put what's left of your eggs ina vice and smash em, you dingo food
rabbit killer.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:51:17 PM7/5/15
ROTFLOL!!!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:51:28 PM7/5/15
Oh FUCK yes!~

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:51:48 PM7/5/15
FUCK YOU TO HELL!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:52:16 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 6:56 PM, investor...@fmgl.com.au wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:46:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The reality is that you are completely clueless about posting to newsgroups in this new age of computing.
>> Thanks for wasting my time. Rest assured that you won't get that chance again.
>
> <fixed the fucked up line wrapping again)

Wrap it around your pencil neck, FUCKWIT!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 12:53:43 PM7/5/15
On 7/4/2015 7:08 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 17:46:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 1:59:26 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

>>> So much for "I promise to give it a go". As I said, the problem's on
>>> the other side. On the side of the majority of people who use real
>>> newsreaders. But you don't care about other people :) Then you'll just
>>> have to accept that you'll get the occasional complaint and that some
>>> people won't read your posts.
>>>
>> The reality is that you are completely clueless about posting to newsgroups in this new age of computing. Thanks for wasting my time. Rest assured that you won't get that chance again.
>
> Huh? Strange how your tone can change from almost reasonable to
> completely unreasonable within a few posts. Do you achieve that
> without any use of prohibited substances or medication?

I think it just took a few rounds with YOU, you mincing FUCKWIT!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:22:30 PM7/5/15
On 7/5/2015 4:06 AM, Bruce wrote:
> I don't know why they did such a poor job. It's not like they couldn't
> afford to spend a bit more time to get it right.

Because it makes them NO MONEY!

You absolute MORON!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:24:48 PM7/5/15
On 7/5/2015 4:52 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 03:26:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <dsi...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Why are so interested in what I do? Do your consider my business your business? That cracked!
>
> Are you speaking Hawaiian dialect now? That's cool!

Do you need a nice Hawaiian punch?

Acme Bully Control

Jul 5, 2015, 1:34:25 PM7/5/15
+1

dsi1

Jul 5, 2015, 1:35:40 PM7/5/15
That's completely backwards! I like the way I post just fine. Other people are complaining that they have problems reading my posts. It's a pretty bizarre situation. I can read my posts and other people posts just fine but I'm suppose to change my ways! It's amazing how self-centered a lot of posters in this group are. It don't matter to me if one uses Google Groups, or Agent, or WebTV to post here. I can dig it all! Just don't make your problems my problem.

I wouldn't want to use a NNTP app even if I could on my Chromebook. Heck, the only time I post to newsgroup with Thunderbird is when I happen to have it open to check email. Of course, I am a compassionate man and am open to any suggestions about posting using other means - just don't presume to tell me what machine I should be using to post here. In the real world, we don't pick our hardware to accommodate posting to newsgroups. That ludicrous!

Jeßus

Jul 5, 2015, 4:14:12 PM7/5/15
Thanks Gary, yes I do use the word wrap in Agent, but sometimes it
doesn't wrap google posts quite right and I still need to manually add
the delimiters.

cshenk

Jul 6, 2015, 6:00:01 PM7/6/15
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> That's completely backwards! I like the way I post just fine. Other
> people are complaining that they have problems reading my posts. It's
> a pretty bizarre situation. I can read my posts and other people
> posts just fine but I'm suppose to change my ways! It's amazing how
> self-centered a lot of posters in this group are. It don't matter to
> me if one uses Google Groups, or Agent, or WebTV to post here. I can
> dig it all! Just don't make your problems my problem.

Lol, Xananews has no problems with your posting. I tested with the
help of others here a few years ago when LiveMail came to be my main
client and it didn't quote right.

See if your chrome tablet likes it? Low foot print stuff and minimal
setup. Freeware and not as intense learning curve to get going on when
you just want a simple reader/replyer with basic functions and advanced
ones you can use at will (or ignore).

Carol

dsi1

Jul 6, 2015, 6:25:37 PM7/6/15
I suppose it depends. Sometimes (like right now) I post from (shudder)
Thunderbird and sometimes through Google Group. The major problem with
Google Groups is the mobile interface: there's no provision for quoting
when replying. This practically makes it unusable. There may be a way to
do it but I don't know about it. If it did, I'd be posting on my phone
all the time. Now that would be sweet!

cshenk

Jul 7, 2015, 8:34:33 PM7/7/15
dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Smile, I understand. I just added that xananews as a possible (free
stuff) you might want to check. It may or may not work for you.

Carol

dsi1

Jul 7, 2015, 8:55:32 PM7/7/15
Thanks for the help. I have two news servers that I use. I guess it's
three if you count Google Groups. Oddly enough, the servers are more
reliable these days than they were a few years back. My guess it's
because they're leasing cloud servers instead of maintaining their own
machines. Ironic, ain't it? :)

cshenk

Jul 8, 2015, 9:44:03 PM7/8/15
Hehe happens that way! I use Giganews for 2.99 a month. Cox deal when
they removed newsgroup service. There were free ones out there then
but they didnt work to my needs (or didnt work well period). I havent
had an outage ever with them.

Carol

dsi1

Jul 8, 2015, 10:02:15 PM7/8/15
I work part-time at another office and they do all their scheduling on
remote servers and keep all patient records on the cloud as well as
local drives. They have not a single file cabinet in their office. The
only paper they have are for contracts and patient fill-out sheets.
That's only temporary until it can be scanned and shredded. The place is
run more like a military base than a business. It's also the most
efficiently run office I've ever seen. I probably won't see another
office like that ever in my lifetime again.
Message has been deleted

cshenk

Jul 8, 2015, 10:50:41 PM7/8/15
Naw, they ae moving that way. I've been doing that largely since 2009.

dsi1

Jul 8, 2015, 11:23:30 PM7/8/15
On 7/8/2015 4:36 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 16:02:12 -1000, dsi1
> <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 7/8/2015 3:43 PM, cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Hehe happens that way! I use Giganews for 2.99 a month. Cox deal when
>>> they removed newsgroup service. There were free ones out there then
>>> but they didnt work to my needs (or didnt work well period). I havent
>>> had an outage ever with them.
>>>
>> I work part-time at another office and they do all their scheduling on
>> remote servers and keep all patient records on the cloud as well as
>> local drives. They have not a single file cabinet in their office. The
>> only paper they have are for contracts and patient fill-out sheets.
>> That's only temporary until it can be scanned and shredded. The place is
>> run more like a military base than a business. It's also the most
>> efficiently run office I've ever seen. I probably won't see another
>> office like that ever in my lifetime again.
>
> But then again, you also thought there were no bees in Hawaii.

Sure, there used to bee bees in Hawaii. I ain't seen one in years. But
then again, you're welcome to come here and go looking for them.

dsi1

Jul 8, 2015, 11:24:09 PM7/8/15
I think it's great!

Acme Bully Control

Jul 8, 2015, 11:42:33 PM7/8/15
I would volunteer for that tough duty!

Julie Bove

Jul 8, 2015, 11:43:39 PM7/8/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
]> Sure, there used to bee bees in Hawaii. I ain't seen one in years. But
> then again, you're welcome to come here and go looking for them.

There were quite a few in the clover growing up through the cracks in the
sidewalk in front of my mailbox.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 8, 2015, 11:45:42 PM7/8/15
Sidewalk bees, really?

Cool.
Message has been deleted

sf

Jul 9, 2015, 12:09:53 AM7/9/15
On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:23:26 -1000, dsi1
<ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote:

> Sure, there used to bee bees in Hawaii. I ain't seen one in years. But
> then again, you're welcome to come here and go looking for them.

LOL

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Acme Bully Control

Jul 9, 2015, 12:11:23 AM7/9/15
On 7/8/2015 10:09 PM, sf wrote:
> --
> A kitchen without a cook is just a room.

Great quote - from?

James Beard?

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 12:39:56 AM7/9/15
It's a tough job but someone has to do it. Right now there are crack
teams searching high and low for the critters. They seem to have been
replaced by white fluttery moths.

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 12:40:36 AM7/9/15
Crack bees? Most curious! :)

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 12:46:09 AM7/9/15
On 7/8/2015 5:59 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:23:26 -1000, dsi1
> Oh, ok, you only meant to say you hadn't seen any bees for a while.
> Fair enough.

Don't put words in my mouth. My guts tell me that there aren't any bee
here any more! If you like, we can put you on bee counting detail. You
can partner partner with Mr. Pooh Bear. :)
Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Jul 9, 2015, 2:32:46 AM7/9/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Heh.

Julie Bove

Jul 9, 2015, 2:33:39 AM7/9/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
How's the pay on that? Many years ago, my friend's sister was paid to count
owls in some part of Alaska.

Julie Bove

Jul 9, 2015, 2:34:16 AM7/9/15

"Bruce" <Br...@Bruce.invalid> wrote in message
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:46:16 -1000, dsi1
> There's even a hotline for Hawaiians who need to have bees removed:
>
> http://hawaiibeeremoval.com/
>
> What does your gut say about that? :)

Perhaps they removed too many?

Message has been deleted

sf

Jul 9, 2015, 2:58:13 AM7/9/15
I don't remember where I stole it from, sorry. :)

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 3:28:48 AM7/9/15
On 7/8/2015 7:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:46:16 -1000, dsi1
> There's even a hotline for Hawaiians who need to have bees removed:
>
> http://hawaiibeeremoval.com/
>
> What does your gut say about that? :)

Obviously the bee removal service worked too damn well! Those bastards
killed off all our bees. I shall alert the authorities at once!

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 3:31:50 AM7/9/15
All the hunny you can stuff in your snout!
Message has been deleted

Ophelia

Jul 9, 2015, 4:24:30 AM7/9/15

"dsi1" <ds...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
Are you in an built up area with not much in the way of gardens or greenery?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Xeno

Jul 9, 2015, 5:09:04 AM7/9/15
Bee removal services "remove" bees and relocate them to other locations,
usually under the auspices of local apiarists. They do not kill the bees.
The problem only occurs when a hive is "swarming" and a new queen and
her troupe of workers is out looking for somewhere to start a new hive.
It's when such a new swarm lands in someone's backyard that the bee
removal teams are called in.

--

Xeno

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 8:00:52 AM7/9/15
It is a built up area but it's quite lush. The mountain range and the area are popular as backdrops for movie production. My granddaughter was named after the mists that come off the Ko'olau mountain range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJrkyHas78

dsi1

Jul 9, 2015, 8:01:46 AM7/9/15
Yeah, I know what these services do.