Undoing the holidays

Laura Grey

Jan 5, 1990, 9:06:43 PM1/5/90
I have a few fun, low calorie ideas that helped me lose 25 pounds a few
years ago. What's more, they're meat-free for my vegetarian friends and
for those of you who want inexpensive, low-cholesterol meals.

Main course: Stir-fry: Yes, everybody suggests these, but I like mine
over pasta. It's quicker to cook, and I like the consistency better. I
cook a mixture of vegetables, such as broccoli, shredded carrots, sliced
sugar peas or green beans, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, bell
peppers, etc. in a sauce made with a little wine, a few tablespoons of
bottled teriyaki sauce, a little crushed garlic and a teaspoon of sesame
oil. Just a touch sesame oil gives it a wonderful flavor. You needn't
add any other cooking oil if you use a Teflon pan. Just cook up a small
amount of your favorite pasta; meanwhile saute the vegetables till just
tender. (If you want a thicker sauce you can dissolve a tablespoon of
cornstarch in cold water and add to the hot vegetables, but this adds
calories.) Drain pasta when al dente, then pour drained pasta into
vegetables and mix well. This is a favorite at my house, and gives a nice
variety of textures and flavors. Use lots of vegetables and just a little
pasta to save on calories.

Salad: Fresh spinach tossed in a little Italian dressing with a little
orange juice is great with a sprinkling of pine nuts or crushed walnuts
and a little grated parmesan. Though pine nuts and parmesan are high in
calories, just a tablespoon (or less!) of each makes the salad a lot more
fun for under a hundred calories. Orange slices, sliced water chestnuts
or mushrooms will add bulk with few calories, and the spinach will give
you lots of iron to help keep you from feeling really tired while you diet.

Since cheese is so high in fat (hence calories), grate it instead of
slicing it; this makes you feel like you're using more than you really
are. Low moisture cheese, such as mozzarella, is lower in calories.

Dessert: This is simple and great: put a bag of frozen strawberries,
raspberries or peaches (not fresh or thawed!) into a blender with a cup of
yogurt and blend. This makes a great smoothie for dessert; refreshing and
lower in calories and fat than plain frozen yogurt, more fun and filling
than plain fruit. This much will serve two to four people a tasty dessert
when you simply must have something sweet. Plain yogurt is much lower in
calories but the resulting smoothies are quite tart.

Enjoy!
-Laura Grey

_____

Potential senders: I can view the net and post to it, but I can't receive
mail. (But thanks for the thought!) Finally, my comments don't reflect
the opinions of Apple Computer or anybody else--just me.

bruce bowser

Jan 27, 2023, 1:34:06 PM1/27/23
On Friday, January 5, 1990 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-5, Laura Grey wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> I have a few fun, low calorie ideas that helped me lose 25 pounds a few
> years ago. What's more, they're meat-free for my vegetarian friends and
> for those of you who want inexpensive, low-cholesterol meals.
> Main course: Stir-fry: Yes, everybody suggests these, but I like mine
> over pasta. It's quicker to cook, and I like the consistency better. I
> cook a mixture of vegetables, such as broccoli, shredded carrots, sliced
> sugar peas or green beans, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, bell
> peppers, etc. in a sauce made with a little wine, a few tablespoons of
> bottled teriyaki sauce, a little crushed garlic and a teaspoon of sesame
> oil. Just a touch sesame oil gives it a wonderful flavor. You needn't
> add any other cooking oil if you use a Teflon pan. Just cook up a small
> amount of your favorite pasta; meanwhile saute the vegetables till just
> tender. (If you want a thicker sauce you can dissolve a tablespoon of
> cornstarch in cold water and add to the hot vegetables, but this adds
> calories.) Drain pasta when al dente, then pour drained pasta into
> vegetables and mix well. This is a favorite at my house, and gives a nice
> variety of textures and flavors. Use lots of vegetables and just a little
> pasta to save on calories.
> Salad: Fresh spinach tossed in a little Italian dressing with a little
> orange juice is great with a sprinkling of pine nuts or crushed walnuts
> and a little grated parmesan. Though pine nuts

From pine trees? I've never heard of that. Sounds yuck to me, because it reminds me of turpentine or something.

bob

Jan 27, 2023, 2:52:56 PM1/27/23
On 2023-01-27 18:34:02 +0000, bruce bowser said:

> On Friday, January 5, 1990 at 9:06:43 PM UTC-5, Laura Grey wrote in
> rec.food.cooking:
>> I have a few fun, low calorie ideas that helped me lose 25 pounds a few
>> years ago. What's more, they're meat-free for my vegetarian friends and
>> for those of you who want inexpensive, low-cholesterol meals.
>> Main course: Stir-fry: Yes, everybody suggests these, but I like mine
>> over pasta. It's quicker to cook, and I like the consistency better. I
>> cook a mixture of vegetables, such as broccoli, shredded carrots, sliced
>> sugar peas or green beans, zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, bell
>> peppers, etc. in a sauce made with a little wine, a few tablespoons of
>> bottled teriyaki sauce, a little crushed garlic and a teaspoon of sesame
>> oil. Just a touch sesame oil gives it a wonderful flavor. You needn't
>> add any other cooking oil if you use a Teflon pan. Just cook up a small
>> amount of your favorite pasta; meanwhile saute the vegetables till just
>> tender. (If you want a thicker sauce you can dissolve a tablespoon of
>> cornstarch in cold water and add to the hot vegetables, but this adds
>> calories.) Drain pasta when al dente, then pour drained pasta into
>> vegetables and mix well. This is a favorite at my house, and gives a nice
>> variety of textures and flavors. Use lots of vegetables and just a little
>> pasta to save on calories.
>> Salad: Fresh spinach tossed in a little Italian dressing with a little
>> orange juice is great with a sprinkling of pine nuts or crushed walnuts
>> and a little grated parmesan.

> From pine trees? I've never heard of that. Sounds yuck to me, because
> it reminds me of turpentine or something.

Pinon (Pinyon) ..aka pine nuts are fabulous. I have more than 100
Pinon trees. The nut is small and hard to shell and they are
expensive. They have a pine like flavor.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Mexico-Pinion-complete-instructions/dp/B00R0ER9RG

Leonard Blaisdell

Jan 30, 2023, 3:08:12 AM1/30/23
On 2023-01-27, bob <b...@sympatico.com> wrote:

> Pinon (Pinyon) ..aka pine nuts are fabulous. I have more than 100
> Pinon trees. The nut is small and hard to shell and they are
> expensive. They have a pine like flavor.

I'm from piñon pine country too. I love pine nuts. Here's an old photo,
previously submitted, many years ago. The piñon is one of our two state
trees.

<https://postimg.cc/gLFn4BCT>

Bruce

Jan 30, 2023, 6:04:35 AM1/30/23
On 30 Jan 2023 08:08:03 GMT, Leonard Blaisdell
<leobla...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 2023-01-27, bob <b...@sympatico.com> wrote:
>
>> Pinon (Pinyon) ..aka pine nuts are fabulous. I have more than 100
>> Pinon trees. The nut is small and hard to shell and they are
>> expensive. They have a pine like flavor.
>
>I'm from piñon pine country too. I love pine nuts.

I once saw a short documentary about pine nuts. I only remember the
takeaway: Don't buy Chinese pine nuts. Of course, better advice would
be: Don't buy Chinese anything.

bruce bowser

Jan 31, 2023, 4:42:10 PM1/31/23
You must be in Australia.

Bruce

Jan 31, 2023, 4:52:51 PM1/31/23
It was a Dutch program. Do you have a prejudice for that? :)