Egg Creams

1 view

Price Charles

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
What are egg creams? I heard some people gawking about how great they are
but no one sells them down here in Texas. Thanks.

Aaron Price http://www.unt.edu/~price/
"Keep spreading love and widening the bandwidth" -Cat

Pierre.Malraison@pierrehp-xu

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

In article <40es56$s...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, <pr...@jove.acs.unt.edu> writes:

> What are egg creams? I heard some people gawking about how great they are
> but no one sells them down here in Texas. Thanks.

Well, first off no egg and no cream. The egg cream I remember from
New York was soda water and syrup. So: vanilla egg creams or
(ob chocolate)
chocolate egg creams.

Price Charles

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95

> note: measurements are not exact
> soda water, 12oz
> cream, 2oz?
> Hershey's syrup, 2-3 tablespoons
> - other syrups could probably be used after some experimentation

> Around here in Chicago, I've seen bottled "Egg Creams" but I found them to
> be poor imitations.

Thanks! I am very interested in making some home-made chocolate egg
creams for my friends down here. What kind of cream is that? Typical
dairy cream?

Aaron Price http://www.unt.edu/~price/ovaltine/

"Keep spreading love and widening the bandwidth"

H. Wilfehrt

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
In article <40es56$s...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, pr...@jove.acs.unt.edu (Price
Charles) wrote:

> What are egg creams? I heard some people gawking about how great they are
> but no one sells them down here in Texas. Thanks.

> Aaron Price http://www.unt.edu/~price/

> "Keep spreading love and widening the bandwidth" -Cat

They are drinks that were first made a long time ago, one of the first
sodas. My grandmother used to get them on the streets of NYC along with
penny pretzel sticks. The version my mother used to make me was a
chocolate egg cream and they had:

note: measurements are not exact
soda water, 12oz
cream, 2oz?
Hershey's syrup, 2-3 tablespoons
- other syrups could probably be used after some experimentation

From what I remember my grandmother said, they used to use eggs to give
extra froth or such. But with all the concerns about salmonella poisoning
from fresh eggs, I wouldn't recommed it.

Around here in Chicago, I've seen bottled "Egg Creams" but I found them to
be poor imitations.

-Helen
h-wil...@nwu.edu

Rosemarie Ventura

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

In article <40es56$s...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, <pr...@jove.acs.unt.edu> writes:

> What are egg creams? I heard some people gawking about how great they are
> but no one sells them down here in Texas. Thanks.

Approximate measures:
seltzer 2/3 glass
milk 1/3 glass
syrup 2-3 tablespoons
[Fox's UBET chocolate syrup is used in NYC home of the egg cream]

--
Rosemarie Ventura
aa...@freenet.buffalo.edu

Price Charles

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it with hersheys syrup and cream and
I didn't like it too much. I think mainly because I dislike Hershey's
syrup. I am going to try some other syrups now. We don't get U-Bet here
:( but there are a few others. I'm also going to try one without the
cream now. This is fun.

Aaron Price "Because redundancy is a state of art."
http://www.unt.edu/~price/red/ Redundantly magazine
Now taking submissions for September in short story, poetry, art, and essay.

Moshe Feder

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
Rosemarie Ventura (aa...@freenet.buffalo.edu) wrote:

: In article <40es56$s...@hermes.acs.unt.edu>, <pr...@jove.acs.unt.edu> writes:
: >
: >
: > What are egg creams? I heard some people gawking about how great they are
: > but no one sells them down here in Texas. Thanks.

: Approximate measures:
: seltzer 2/3 glass
: milk 1/3 glass
: syrup 2-3 tablespoons
: [Fox's UBET chocolate syrup is used in NYC home of the egg cream]

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Rosemarie for setting these people straight! No egg,
no cream, just milk, seltzer and chocolate syrup. I made one just last
night with Hershey's and it was fine, so no one who can't find U-Bet
should feel deprived. Your proportions look pretty good to me, but
individuals may wish to experiment with them. I'd probably use a bit more
syrup for example, but then I tend to use a large glass and like it
sweet. (For me, it should ideally be sweetish but with some acidic bite
from the seltzer still detectable.)

Pour the milk in first, then stir in the syrup. Finish by adding the
seltzer, stirring a little more. If you've done it right, you'll end up
with a frothy, creamy head that probably accounts for the name.

I usually describe it simply as an ice cream soda without most of the ice
cream.

--
Moshe Feder ===> ===> ===> ===> mo...@amanda.dorsai.org
Typos unintentionla >>>FIAWOL<<< 718-461-5302

Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea.

Aug 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/16/95
>: Approximate measures:
>: seltzer 2/3 glass
>: milk 1/3 glass
>: syrup 2-3 tablespoons
>: [Fox's UBET chocolate syrup is used in NYC home of the egg cream]

I am looking at those proportions, and they look about correct for regular egg
creams, but until recently I always hated seltzer, so used more of a 50/50
ratio to make them. I don't drink milk anymore, and the thought of a rice or
soy milk egg cream sounds pretty wretched, so I guess I'll just have to savor
the memory of my last egg creams...

Sarah G.

Joe

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
My genuine NYC egg creams actually use LESS milk and more seltzer than this
recipe.

Joe

Bread and water can so easily be toast and tea. (rsc...@CNSVAX.ALBANY.EDU) wrote:
: >: Approximate measures:

Price Charles

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
> I am looking at those proportions, and they look about correct for regular egg
> creams, but until recently I always hated seltzer, so used more of a 50/50
> ratio to make them. I don't drink milk anymore, and the thought of a rice or
> soy milk egg cream sounds pretty wretched, so I guess I'll just have to savor
> the memory of my last egg creams...
> Sarah G.

Yeah, I tried my first one and didn't like it. I tried it again with
cream and a little stronger and it was much better. My GF couldn't stand
it and won't touch the stuff. Maybe I can sneak in a stronger mix to her
sometimes..:)

Is there another kind of cyrup preferred over hershey's and UBET? We
don't get UBET down here and Hershey's is nasty IMO..

Finger pr...@jove.acs.unt.edu for more information.