Does Pan Size Really Matter?

Jodi

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

I'm baking what I hope will be some pretty outrageous
bittersweet/white chocolate macadamia brownies tomorrow
(Wednesday) night. The recipe calls for a 9x9 baking pan. Can I
substitute an 8x8 pan? Also, if I double the
recipe, can I use a 9x13 pan?

Simple questions, I know, but I don't want to #$@% up these
brownies. Macadamia nuts are just too expensive!

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide ...

--Jodi.

(If responding to me directly, remove the *oysoyjoy* from my
address!)

Nancy Dooley

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 01:20:51 -0400, Jodi
<jodiverse*oysoyjoy*@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I'm baking what I hope will be some outrageous white chocolate
>macadamia brownies tomorrow night. The recipe calls for a 9x9
>pan. Can I substitute an 8x8 panl? Also, if I double the

>recipe, can I use a 9x13 pan?

Remember high school math? ;-) 8 x 8 is 64 square inches; 9 x 9 is
81 square inches; 9 x 13 is 117 square inches. (No allowance for
depth of pan.)

Therefore, doubled might be a little more than the 9 x 13 will take;
however, see what it looks like in the pan. If your brownies are
really fudgie (not cake-type) they might not get done in the center
before the edges are crispy.

I'd take the recipe 1.5 times, not double, which would give you closer
to the correct volume for a 9 x 13 pan.

N.

dfr...@dd.rocketmail.com

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 01:24:17 -0400, Jodi
<jodiverse*oysoyjoy*@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>I'm baking what I hope will be some pretty outrageous
>bittersweet/white chocolate macadamia brownies tomorrow

>(Wednesday) night. The recipe calls for a 9x9 baking pan. Can I
>substitute an 8x8 pan?

Yes, but watch the baking time. When you use a smaller pan, the
brownies will be a tad thicker..and need a bit more time to cook in
the center...but can get a bit overdone around the edges...

>Also, if I double the
>recipe, can I use a 9x13 pan?

I have done that several times and again, watch the baking
time...but they usually come out perfect.

>Simple questions, I know, but I don't want to #$@% up these
>brownies. Macadamia nuts are just too expensive!

You can always do up a test batch and leave the nuts out. They don't
have any effect on the baking. But I think if you just watch the
stuff carefully, you will be o.k.

Debra
To reply by email, please delete "dd" from my address. The spam is getting too thick.

jcs

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article <60smm9$p...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, Jodi
<jodiverse*oysoyjoy*@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I'm baking what I hope will be some pretty outrageous
> bittersweet/white chocolate macadamia brownies tomorrow
> (Wednesday) night. The recipe calls for a 9x9 baking pan. Can I

> substitute an 8x8 pan? Also, if I double the

> recipe, can I use a 9x13 pan?
>

> Simple questions, I know, but I don't want to #$@% up these
> brownies. Macadamia nuts are just too expensive!
>

> Thanks for any help you may be able to provide ...
>
> --Jodi.
>
> (If responding to me directly, remove the *oysoyjoy* from my
> address!)

First off, howsabout posting the recipe? It sounds t-riffic.

Second: i routinely use an 8x8 pan when it calls for a 9x9 pan, and when i
double a recipe i use two 8x8 pans, but i'm sure a 9x13 pan is ok.
Brownies aren't really precision baking, and they'll just be a little
taller. Be careful about the timing of the baking though. If you use a
dark pan they will cook faster than a shiney stainless pan, I think.

Jenna

Mark Kilinski

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

dfr...@dd.rocketmail.com writes: > On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 01:24:17 -0400, Jodi

> <jodiverse*oysoyjoy*@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm baking what I hope will be some pretty outrageous
> >bittersweet/white chocolate macadamia brownies tomorrow
> >(Wednesday) night. The recipe calls for a 9x9 baking pan. Can I
> >substitute an 8x8 pan?
>
> Yes, but watch the baking time. When you use a smaller pan, the
> brownies will be a tad thicker.

When using the *LARGER* pan with the double recipe, the brownies will be
thicker and may require a longer baking time. A 9x13 pan is only 1.5
(about) times larger than a 9x9.

FYI, a 9x13 pan holds pretty close to double the volume of an 8x8 pan.

Mark Kilinski, Coconut Creek, FL
ma...@gate.net

Mike the Crow

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

In article <60smfr$p...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, Jodi
<jodiverse*oysoyjoy*@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

}I'm baking what I hope will be some outrageous white chocolate

}macadamia brownies tomorrow night. The recipe calls for a 9x9
}pan. Can I substitute an 8x8 panl? Also, if I double the

}recipe, can I use a 9x13 pan?
}

When inquiring into pan size, it's surface area that matters. An 8X8 pan
will be 64 in^2, which is roughly 1/3 smaller than a 9X9's 81. That means
your brownies will be a third thicker, will have to be baked differently
to ensure that the center is still baked but the outside doesn't burn, and
will likely be chewier and fewer in number no matter what. A 9X13 inch pan
for a doubled recipe would be just as disruptive, providing only 117 in^2
for a recipe that wants 9X9X2=162.
So - size matters, but it doesn't rule. Be careful, careful when you're
baking, stand ever at the ready with toothpicks for the critical center
test, and give it a shot. You may even improve the recipe!

mMichael
--
enk...@mail.utexas.edu

"I swear to you, then," said MacIan. . . "I swear it by
the god you have denied, by the Blessed Lady you have blasphemed;
I swear it by the seven swords in her heart. I swear it by the
Holy Island wheremy fathers are, by the honour of my mother, by
the secret of my people, and by the chalice of the Blood of God."
The Atheist drew up his head. "And I," he said, "give my word."

_The Ball and the Cross_, G.K. Chesterton

Mark Kilinski

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

>I'm baking what I hope will be some pretty outrageous
>bittersweet/white chocolate macadamia brownies tomorrow

How about sharing your recipe... they do sound pretty outrageous.

Jodi

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

All right, all right ... Would everyone please just sit down and
take your seats once again? Thank you.

Thank you all for responding (and oh so expediently!) to my query
re: pan size. After reading all of your responses, I decided to
do that math stuff some of you suggested (I had to call on all of
my friends 'cause I only have the usual 13 fingers and needed
more to help me with the big numbers) ... and ...

I wound up doubling the recipe and baking the entire delicious
thing in a 15x10x2 pan. The recipe called for a 9x9 pan, two of
which would yield "square inchage" (!) of 162. I figured I'd
really be a renegade, seeing that the pan I used contained a
surface area of 150 square inches. Those extra 12 square inches
really put me on the cutting edge.

Well ...

I am pleased to report that the brownies came out wonderfully.
Yes. They did. They are everything a girl could hope for, and
more. I will post the recipe (remember, it was for
Bittersweet/White Chocolate Macadamia Brownies) in the very near
future, once I am done making the talk-show rounds that are sure
to be mine for the offering, considering the wonderful success I
have just achieved.

Ahh ... success *is* sweet!

Thanks, all!

--Jodi

(If responding to me directly, please remove *oysoyjoy* from my
address. Thanks.)