Melted Tupperware in my oven - Help!

celestina

Mar 17, 2002, 8:53:07 PM3/17/02
Hi everyone.
I'm a total newbie here, but, I scanned the current topics, and I'm hoping
someone here has an idea for me.
I did a deja search first, just to see if anyone else had been as stupid as
me - and it turns out I am alone in my idiocy.

I melted a tupperware lid in my oven.
No, not on purpose. In one of those "quick, stow everything away, company
is coming!" moments, I stuck a Tupperware container and lid in the oven -
just for a bit (yeah, you see where this is going...) and Promptly forgot
all about it.

A couple weeks later, turned the oven on to 400 to bake something, and once
I thought it had had enough time, went into the kitchen and saw smoke
pouring from the burners. It didn't catch fire, though I'm sure it was
getting close. but the pink lid melted all over the bottom and on the
racks. Idiot! I know!

Tonight, I turned the oven on for a small bit, to warm it up - got to about
190 when I turned it off - got Some of the plastic off by scraping, but, it
probably got a Bit too runny - some of it smeared.. and some had dripped
initially down Under the bottom side. There are two bolts in the back we
can undo, and lift this part I believe, but STILL! HOW do I get this damned
plastic out??? Do I need to buy a new oven and just be Done with it???
I saw an old post about Smell, once I get the Actual material out - I'll
cross that bridge later. Right now, I just need the pink stuff completely
out of the oven.
Shite. This is definitely in the top ten of the dumbest things I've ever
done. Top Two more like.

Someone had suggested using lots of elbow grease with a 3M green scouring
pad, maybe adding water because that pad will conduct a lot of heat..
haven't tried that yet, just scraping with a metal spatula.

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
I'll be waiting for my flames as well. : /
thanks in advance.

Vox Humana

Mar 17, 2002, 10:21:38 PM3/17/02

"celestina" <gertr...@NOSPAMcox.net> wrote in message

> Hi everyone.
> I'm a total newbie here, but, I scanned the current topics, and I'm hoping
> someone here has an idea for me.
> I did a deja search first, just to see if anyone else had been as stupid
as
> me - and it turns out I am alone in my idiocy.
>
> I melted a tupperware lid in my oven.
> No, not on purpose. In one of those "quick, stow everything away, company
> is coming!" moments, I stuck a Tupperware container and lid in the oven -
> just for a bit (yeah, you see where this is going...) and Promptly forgot
> all about it.
>
> A couple weeks later, turned the oven on to 400 to bake something, and
once
> I thought it had had enough time, went into the kitchen and saw smoke
> pouring from the burners. It didn't catch fire, though I'm sure it was
> getting close. but the pink lid melted all over the bottom and on the
> racks. Idiot! I know!

> I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.
> I'll be waiting for my flames as well. : /
> thanks in advance.

I would scrape out the bulk of the material. When you have a nice warm day,
open the windows and run the self-cleaning cycle. If you have any pets,
especially birds, you might take them outside or board them with a friend
for the day. If you leave the racks in the oven they will discolor. I
suppose that you might try using a hot air gun (the kind that looks like a
hair dryer and is sold for stripping paint) to soften/melt the plastic and
use some old rags to wipe off the melted plastic.

April Goodwin-Smith

Mar 17, 2002, 10:55:17 PM3/17/02
celestina wrote:

> Hi everyone.
<snip>

> I melted a tupperware lid in my oven.

<snip of heart-rending story>

I don't know how responsive they are, because I have never tried
to contact them myself, but do you think the Tupperware company
might have some ideas for you?

http://www.tupperware.com/

Or, was this a housebrand piece of plastic ware?

Good luck. Beware of fumes.

April.
--
"Things that try to look like things often do look more
like things than things. Well known fact."

showmee

Mar 18, 2002, 8:35:06 PM3/18/02
it may sound stupid, but you could try freezing it and see if it will chip
off when cold. i work maintenance in a school and we do that a lot. a
janitor supply house can supply you with cans of CO2 to freeze it. or just
put in freezer and pull out to work on.

tim

John Andrisan

Mar 18, 2002, 9:23:48 PM3/18/02
>Tupperware company

Also known as Dart Industries.

john

Scott

Mar 18, 2002, 10:35:26 PM3/18/02
This may be just the thing. From
<http://www.howtocleananything.com/hca_tlist.asp?sid=34>

Melted Plastic from Oven
This question was submitted from Plang.com
"A "friend" forgot to remove the owners manual from her new stove. When
she turned on the stove the plastic melted onto the interior surface.
What can my "friend" do to remove the adhesive material stuck onto the
surface of the oven?"

Try these techniques :
Heat really can set stains etc. However, I think that you should heat
the plastic up using a hair dryer or heat gun and try to scrape up as
much of the plastic as possible with a plastic scraper (so you don't
scratch the oven).
I would avoid heating the oven again since it will be hard to work at
removing the stain with the oven being hot.
Remove as much of the plastic as possible. Then using a general purpose
solvent applied to a cleaning towel, wipe up as much of the residue as
you can. Remember that solvents are flammable so do not have the oven
on, or any source of heat near you, if the oven is gas powered don't use
a solvent.
Another thing to try would be oven cleaner. Let it sit on the stain and
it may remove the final residue. This stain could be hard to remove
completely. If you can remove as much of the melted plastic as possible
you stand a chance of removing most of the residue.
I had a "friend" leave a loaf of bread in it's plastic bag on the
toaster oven and we managed to remove the plastic and most of the color
from the plastic but there still was some residue. So don't be surprised
if you can't remove it all, just enough so you don't have a taste of
plastic every time you bake something would probably be enough. If the
manual is still readable I sure your "friend" will read that you should
be sure the oven is empty before starting it!

--
to respond, change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"
Please post replies, unless they are off-topic.

Scott

Mar 18, 2002, 10:36:21 PM3/18/02
Or this,
<http://magazines.ivillage.com/goodhousekeeping/experts/heloise/qas/0,128
75,284574_291812,00.html>

Plastic Meltdown

My kids left a plastic bowl in the oven and it melted. I managed to get
the goo off the oven racks, but I don't know what to do about the
hardened puddle of plastic in the bottom of the oven.
-- Hannah Faye Ashley, Moscow, Idaho

The method you use to remove this difficult mess will depend on the
interior finish of your oven and whether it is gas or electric or has a
self-cleaning or continuous-cleaning feature.

For a regular electric oven: Place a bag of ice directly on the melted
plastic to chill it and make it more brittle. Then carefully, using a
razor-blade scraper, lift off the puddle of plastic. This procedure will
not hurt an interior porcelain finish.

For a regular gas oven: First turn off the gas. Then take out the bottom
panel (there should be two screws in the back that can be removed to
lift out this base plate). If it fits, put the panel in the freezer
until the spilled plastic becomes brittle enough to scrape off, or use
the bag-of-ice technique, keeping the panel flat on a kitchen counter.

For an oven with a self- or continuous-cleaning feature: Turn on the
oven to its lowest setting and heat only until the plastic becomes
pliable. Then use a wooden spatula or spoon (other materials may damage
the surface) to remove the melted plastic.

As a last resort, it may be necessary to replace the floor or bottom
plate in your oven.

damico

Apr 1, 2002, 2:33:27 AM4/1/02
I'm a plastics fabricator, and often vacuum-form low density polyethylene
(which is what tupperware is made from.) Occasionally a piece will fall onto
the elements, and it smokes like mad and smells like candlewax. More heat
will just make it gooey. Let it cool, put ice (in a bag) on it to make it
brittle, and chip it off. Scrape off the residue with a putty knife or
similar flat edged blade. It's a real drag, but not the end of the world.
No solvent will melt it so don't bother trying that. Our solvent bottles
are made from polythelene because it is resistant to organic solvents.

Good luck

David Damico
Sebastopol, CA
Vox Humana <vhu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

lynnmo...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2019, 4:28:43 PM7/6/19
We melted a tupperware bowl in the oven by accident. Do you think the fumes are harmful? I am worried about it smelling up our whole house again as it was very smelly. Wondering if the plastic smell will ever come out of the bottom of the oven.