Bridle Nameplate Installation

Casey S.

May 26, 2021, 10:56:46 PM5/26/21
Hello everyone!

Does anyone here install their own bridle nameplates? I've been working on learning to do it well, but seem to have a hard time getting it down just right. At first, I had a hard time getting the rivets to set, but then found out I needed to use an anvil on concrete rather than my wooden workbench. Now I can set the rivets right, but they seem to come out looking funky or the nameplate gets scratched. On the rare occasion I've been able to have a professionally installed nameplate (I unfortunately no longer live near a tack shop that will do this), the rivets look nice and smooth, but mine don't. Does anyone have any tips for installing nameplates? I don't mind if they're not 100% perfect, but some of my rivets unfortunately look pretty bad.

Thank you!
Casey

John Hasler

May 27, 2021, 11:08:38 AM5/27/21
What tools are you using to set the rivets? Generally each type of
rivet needs a specially shaped rivet setter to get good looking results.
--
John Hasler
jo...@dancinghorsehill.com

Casey S.

May 27, 2021, 12:02:25 PM5/27/21
Thank you for your response!

I have used a regular hammer, a rivet tool from Tandy Leather that is sold with some of their rivets (I didn't care for the results of using this, but it could've been that I didn't hold it steady enough or did something wrong), and a mallet also from Tandy Leather. So far, the hammer and mallet have been best, but the rivets still don't look smooth on top.

John Hasler

May 27, 2021, 1:08:49 PM5/27/21
You need both a special rivet setting base and the correct rivet
setter for the top to form the rivet to a consistent shape.

Google "how to set rivets".

Casey S.

May 27, 2021, 1:37:05 PM5/27/21
The tool I used had both a base and a setter, but I'm not sure if I didn't hold it steady enough because it unfortunately created a "wrinkled" look to the rivets and put a dent in my nameplate. I have watched several videos that make it look so easy, but can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Thank you for your help! I will continue to look up more videos and maybe get an old piece of leather to practice setting rivets on for awhile!