What breed to get?

1 view

Kim Grant

Jan 27, 1995, 11:11:00 PM1/27/95
EB´: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
´: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
´: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
´: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?

Hi Eric!

I know of one pack outfit here in Nevada that uses only Arabians and
Mules. The Arabs also double as Endurance horses on the lady's day
off. These people not only pack in the Mount Rose Wilderness; but for
thier own vacation they often pack into the Jarbige Wilderness for a
couple of weeks. I once watched as a loose horse tried to pass one of
thier mares on a two foot trail on the side of a mountain. Even when
the pack caught on the saddle of the loose horse the pack mare held
steady and made it to a wider spot without incident.

Any horse with the proper training and attitude can do what you are
asking; but my Arabians are always more entertaining than the
Quarterhorses accross the street. Every horse owner has thier own
favorite breed so you will get many answers and the main answer may
end up being price. You need to be careful about what training the
horse has already, what type of riding it has been used for, and what
type of attitude it has. Good Luck and Happy Trails
---
þ 1st 1.11 #711s þ Kim and Lucky riding the Mountains and Deserts of Nevada.

Internet: kim....@megasystem.com (Kim Grant)
This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.

Laura Deck

Jan 31, 1995, 4:24:16 PM1/31/95
In article <215.91...@megasystem.com>, kim....@megasystem.com (Kim
Grant) wrote:

> EB´: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
> ´: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
> ´: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
> ´: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?

Arabians! A little hard to handle, but their origins are wilderness. Arabs
are strong, have endurance, extremely hardy, smart and very individual. if
you are looking for what you decribed in your article, Arabs are
definantly the breed for you!

Laura Deck
te...@shore.net

Mark A. Tidwell

Jan 31, 1995, 5:55:46 PM1/31/95

Personally, I believe what you need is an Appaloosa. Apps have
got it all over in strength, endurance and general hardiness especially.
Mine have an overabundance of intelligence and spirit. Apps were bred by
the Nez-Pierce Indians for their endurance and "fuel-effeciency". Keep in
mind of course every owner is prejudiced and I am no exception.

Mark Tidwell
Okolona, MS

Scott Mastbrook

Jan 31, 1995, 8:43:13 PM1/31/95
In article <tenex-31019...@berthc18.shore.net>, te...@tenex.com (Laura Deck) says:

>In article <215.91...@megasystem.com>, kim....@megasystem.com (Kim
>Grant) wrote:
>
>> EB´: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
>> ´: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
>> ´: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
>> ´: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?

Get a Paso Fino. They go all day long, they canter, they jump, and best of
all, they don't hurt your butt. They are very intelligent and can be as hot as
you want. Mine is a multi-champion in performance. I also do team
penning as well as trailriding with her. I have even beaten hunterjumpers
over 2'6" fences with her. My other Paso was used for hunting and
barrel racing. What else can I say -- the perfect horse. Unless you like to
post!

Stephanie

Donna Pattee

Feb 1, 1995, 10:21:15 AM2/1/95
(I've lost the original attribution on this one, but someone wrote:)

> I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
> possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
> hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
> particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?

And the responses have been: get an Arabian, get an Appaloosa, get a
Paso Fino, get an Oldenberg, etc. Why are you all so hung up on breeds?
Look at lots of horses, find out if the owners have done any of the kind
of riding you want to do, get the horses you like best vet-checked for
what you want to do and then make your decision. I think it probably
makes more sense to ask "Are there any breeds that aren't suitable? (And
why?)"

We have Arabians, an AQHA, a Paint, and a Thoroughbred, and with proper
conditioning I would take any out on a backcountry trip except possibly
the 27-year-old because his lungs are bad.

ujs...@cc.memphis.edu

Feb 1, 1995, 11:52:49 AM2/1/95

I would like to add not to forget the lowly Xbreds. I own a TWH/Arab who
possesses (in very ample quantities) all the qualities that this person is
looking for in a trail/hunting horse. Of course, every Xbred is an individual
(just as every purebred is) so you will have to do some looking and asking.
Personally, I would not hang all my hopes on one breed thinking that you will
find everything you want from one of its registered members. Find a horse that
fits YOU no matter what his breeding is. Some thoughts from...

Jennifer (That's My Guy)
UJS...@MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU

Jonathan Quick

Feb 1, 1995, 7:05:20 AM2/1/95
In article <215.91...@megasystem.com>, kim....@megasystem.com (Kim
>Grant) wrote:

> EB´: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
> ´: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
> ´: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
> ´: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?

Get an Oldenberg!

JJ.

Ann Louise Koran

Feb 2, 1995, 6:33:59 AM2/2/95
Grant) wrote:

> EB´: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry riding,
> ´: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and general
> ´: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know of a
> ´: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberhorse?
>

> The Morgan Horse is an easy keeper, hard worker and not as hot blooded
as the Arabians. They are also extremely intelligent. They are good
drivers, jumpers, cutters and about anything else you want to name. For
more info get hold of The American Morgan Horse Association, P.O. box 960
Shelburne VT. 05482. There are breeders all over the country.
Gordon Lewis, Stockton CA.

Nicki Fritz

Feb 2, 1995, 6:39:00 AM2/2/95
In article <tenex-31019...@berthc18.shore.net>, te...@tenex.com (Laura Deck) writes...

May I also suggest Morgans? They too, are hardy, and possess stamina
and endurance, as well as a level of intelligence that comes in handy
on the trail. Perhaps a nice Arab/quarter horse cross, or
Morgan/Quarter cross? There are many breeds suited to this type of
work, but the Arabs and Morgans will be fairly easy to find, and
shouldn't break the budget, especially if you are going for strength
and personality, versus "show-qualities".
NF

Alan Dormire

Feb 5, 1995, 7:14:33 PM2/5/95
Get a mule <g>. Actually, buy a horse that you like, which is more
important than getting an animal of any particular breed.

--Alan Dormire

Rocky

Feb 6, 1995, 3:52:11 PM2/6/95
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950131...@Sunmuw1.MUW.Edu>, "Mark A. Tidwell" <m...@sunmuw1.muw.edu> says:

>On 31 Jan 1995, Laura Deck wrote:
>
>> In article <215.91...@megasystem.com>, kim....@megasystem.com (Kim
>> Grant) wrote:
>>=20
>> > EB=B4: I'm interested in buying a horse for multi-day backcountry ridin=
>g,=20
>> > =B4: possibly for hunting. I'm looking for strength, endurance, and =
>general=20
>> > =B4: hardiness, as well as intelligence and spirit. Does anyone know=
> of a=20
>> > =B4: particular breed fitting my needs, or am I looking for the uberh=
>orse?

>No, but you should be looking for a good Quarter Horse! (or maybe a
>Morgan..)
>-----------------just my opinion....................Rocky

Bay App

Feb 10, 1995, 3:24:50 PM2/10/95
Try an Appaloosa or maybe a TB or QH cross with an App.
Stacey
Endwell, NY

Lucy Goodenday

Feb 23, 1995, 4:50:24 PM2/23/95

Have you heard of the Paso Fino? They are great for trail, endurance (they
were the mounts of the Conquistadors)...and they are naturally smooth gaited as
well, which improves the rider's endurance! Most love to jump (I have a
Versatility champ who is a great jumper), though they are small (13-3 to 15-2)
so would not be stadium jumpers.