Are you a Christian Equestrian?

Kris Carroll

Mar 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/29/00
EqWriter wrote:
> Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
> fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of
> my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses.

So, what's the third passion?
BTW, would Jews not be welcome?

Kris C.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of
my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses. If you're interested in
joining just email ChristianEquest...@onelist.com and place
subscribe in the subject line and in the body. Or visit us at
http://www.onelist.com/group/ChristianEquestrians.

Kathy and her Mustang, Jazz <><
"A horse of course that is wild and free is more than man can just let be"
<\__~
// \\

K.Z.

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38E2FDF1...@horse-country.com>, kcarroll@horse-
country.com says...

> EqWriter wrote:
> > Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
> > fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of
> > my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses.
>
> So, what's the third passion?

Mathematics? <g> Just playing with you, Kathy ;-)

Kelly & Doc
dok...@frontiernet.net

Bill Kambic

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:13:18 -0800, Kris Carroll <kcar...@horse-country.com> wrote:

>EqWriter wrote:
>> Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
>> fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of
>> my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses.
>
>So, what's the third passion?

>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?

Or Freelance Monotheists?

Bill Kambic, Bright Star Farm, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Style, Stamina, Symmetry, Smoothness
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1816

Sandi

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Hmmm ..... maybe Jews for Jesus would be .....

--
Sandi

Iris Graphics and Publishing
The Absolute Pleasure Players *director*

Work like you don't need the money
Love like it doesn't hurt
Dance like no one's looking

AOLIM MagNta4711
ICQ#12700394

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <MPG.134d096c3...@news.frontiernet.net>,
dok...@frontiernet.net (K.Z.) writes:

>Mathematics? <g> Just playing with you, Kathy ;-)

=P NOT! LOL I enjoyed math till I attemtped a Calculus course. Even with the
help of a tutor, I got flunking grades on my homework assignments. So, after
about the third or fifth graded assignment came back, I dropped the course. Of
course, taking it as a correspondence course may have not been a wise idea. LOL

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38e35408...@news.vic.com>, wka...@vic.com (Bill Kambic)
writes:

>Or Freelance Monotheists?

Who are they? Do they have anything to do with freelance writing, <g>? If so,
go for it, afterall my third passion is writing -- specificly about my first
two passions, lol.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38E36160...@quik.com>, Sandi <mag...@quik.com> writes:

>Hmmm ..... maybe Jews for Jesus would be .....

LOL, good point. While folks of other beliefs are welcome in the group, I did
start this group with the intention of having a place where Christian
equestrians can share horse stuff back and forth. If "you" can not respect
other folks beliefs, then I will kick you out of the group -- and this be no
matter what faith you follow.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38E2FDF1...@horse-country.com>, Kris Carroll
<kcar...@horse-country.com> writes:

>So, what's the third passion?
>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?

My third passion is writing. Anyone is welcome, the only thing I ask is that
folks respect each other's beliefs.

Terry von Gease

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

Bill Kambic wrote in message <38e35408...@news.vic.com>...

>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:13:18 -0800, Kris Carroll
<kcar...@horse-country.com> wrote:

>>EqWriter wrote:
>>> Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it
would be
>>> fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share
two of
>>> my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses.
>>
>>So, what's the third passion?
>>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?
>
>Or Freelance Monotheists?

Would that be those that are between gods at the moment?

Horses and christ often go hand in hand. Many's the time a horse has
prompted something on the order of "Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ and his all
girl band, cut that crap out..." from its connection.

--
Terry
We're forever grateful that the telephone

Bill Kambic

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 14:50:50 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>In article <38e35408...@news.vic.com>, wka...@vic.com (Bill Kambic)
>writes:
>
>>Or Freelance Monotheists?
>>

>Who are they?

Folks who acknowledge the One God concept, but draw from Jewish, Christian, and Islamic
tradition. This may or may not include Jesus.

> Do they have anything to do with freelance writing, <g>? If so,
>go for it, afterall my third passion is writing -- specificly about my first
>two passions, lol.

The original post invited folks who shared your passions for Christ and horses. This
would imply that anyone who did not share both would not find welcome. Comments
subequently may or may not have been intended to point out the absurdity of linking
Christianity with the equestrian arts.

Bill Kambic

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 14:50:51 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>In article <38E36160...@quik.com>, Sandi <mag...@quik.com> writes:
>
>>Hmmm ..... maybe Jews for Jesus would be .....
>>

>LOL, good point. While folks of other beliefs are welcome in the group, I did
>start this group with the intention of having a place where Christian
>equestrians can share horse stuff back and forth. If "you" can not respect
>other folks beliefs, then I will kick you out of the group -- and this be no
>matter what faith you follow.

Oh, so this is going to be a "my way or the highway" equestrian group. Who have you hired
to be your "word and concepts enforcer", Father Coughlin?

Deborah Stevenson

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000, Bill Kambic wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2000 14:50:50 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:
>
> > Do they have anything to do with freelance writing, <g>? If so,
> >go for it, afterall my third passion is writing -- specificly about my first
> >two passions, lol.
>
> The original post invited folks who shared your passions for Christ and horses. This
> would imply that anyone who did not share both would not find welcome. Comments
> subequently may or may not have been intended to point out the absurdity of linking
> Christianity with the equestrian arts.

Hmm. Speaking as a third-generation atheist, it seems absurd to me to
single out that particular Christian discussion as being absurd :-). Or,
to put it another way, since I'm prepared to support people's rights to
have denominational listservs and discussion groups focused on spiritual
systems that don't include my beliefs, I don't see any reason for this one
to come under special fire.

Seems to me that 1) Kathy isn't much given to proselytizing 'round these
parts so clearly has no problem with
nondenominational equestrianism

2) listservs don't have an obligation to be about areas
their founders aren't interested in

3) it sounds like she might be rethinking the concept to
be religion and equestrianism anyway

I wasn't sure if people were just goofing around with the topic or not
:-). But I saw it as a perfectly legitimate concept and a perfectly
reasonable invitation even in its original terms. To me it just implied
that people who didn't share her passion for Christ and horses probably
wouldn't find the list particularly absorbing, what with that being the
subject and all :-).

Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
Who doesn't even have a passion for listservs in Champaign, IL, USA

Terry von Gease

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

EqWriter wrote in message <20000330095052...@nso-cb.aol.com>...

>In article <38E2FDF1...@horse-country.com>, Kris Carroll
><kcar...@horse-country.com> writes:
>

>>So, what's the third passion?
>>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?
>>

>My third passion is writing. Anyone is welcome, the only thing I ask is
that
>folks respect each other's beliefs.

If you mean respect each others right to believe, fine and dandy. If you
mean respect whatever damnfool thing in which someone chooses to believe,
you're being the fool. There are more than just a handful of folk that not
only should one not respect whatever it is they believe but they should be
held in comtempt for believing it.

Rudy

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Kris C. wrote:
>So, what's the third passion?
>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?

EqWriter replied:

>>My third passion is writing. Anyone is welcome, the only thing I ask is that
folks respect each other's beliefs.>

Terry von ' Geez!' responded with alacrity:

>If you mean respect each others right to believe, fine and dandy. If you mean
respect whatever damnfool thing in which someone chooses to believe, you're
being the fool. There are more than just a handful of folk that not only should
one not respect whatever it is they believe but they should be held in comtempt
for believing it.>

I have one question. Your statement above is according to who's beliefs?
Yours? Weeeellll, while I respect your right to believe, I do not respect
whatever damn fool thing in which you choose to believe. In fact, I hold you
in contempt for believing it. Damn -- that shit works both ways, don't it? :)

Anyway -- to get back on the topic which was Christianity and horses. Good
luck with your new list. I love horses and I like to write, but my mother
totally burned me out on Christianity! Hopefully we'll still see you posting
over here........
Ruth Baltopoulos
'Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional'

Rudy

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
>Deborah Stevenson wrote:
>To me it just implied that people who didn't share her passion for Christ and
horses probably
>wouldn't find the list particularly absorbing, what with that being the
subject and all :-).

AMEN!

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38e38086...@news.vic.com>, wka...@vic.com (Bill Kambic)
writes:

>The original post invited folks who shared your passions for Christ and

>horses. This
>would imply that anyone who did not share both would not find welcome.
>Comments
>subequently may or may not have been intended to point out the absurdity of
>linking
>Christianity with the equestrian arts.

Why do you find it so absurd to link one's relegious beliefs with one's
hobbies? I'm obviously not the only one who feels there is a connection between
my Christian beliefs and my love of horses -- the Cowboy Church does the same
thing.

I started this list so that fellow Christian equesrtians could have a place to
chat about thier love for God and horses. While I have Christian friends that I
hang out with, none of them share my love of horses and it's very diffucult to
talk to them about that love. Plus, there are many times when I find myself
making analogies between my relationship with Jazz and my relationship with
Christ. I would like to have other folks who I can chat with who do the same.
Is that so hard to believe? Both are a major part of my life.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38e38265...@news.vic.com>, wka...@vic.com (Bill Kambic)
writes:

>Oh, so this is going to be a "my way or the highway" equestrian group. Who

>have you hired
>to be your "word and concepts enforcer", Father Coughlin?

No Bill, it's not. But, if folks can not respect the other member's beliefs
then I do not want them in the group. I'll give an example -- I do not agree
with much of the stuff the Catholics believe in, e.g. worshiping Mary, the
Saints, praying to them, going to a priest for confession, et al. However, I
will not and do not attack them for their beliefs. Now, if someone were to join
the list and start attacking Catholics, I'd then ask that person to stop and if
s/he didn't, I'd kick 'em out.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <Pine.SGI.4.10.1000330...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>,
Deborah Stevenson <stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu> writes:

> 3) it sounds like she might be rethinking the concept to
> be religion and equestrianism anyway

Nope, I still want it to be Christian and equestrian oriented. Now if there
were a Cowboy Church in my area, then I doubt I'd have even started this email
group.

>I wasn't sure if people were just goofing around with the topic or not
>:-). But I saw it as a perfectly legitimate concept and a perfectly

>reasonable invitation even in its original terms. To me it just implied

>that people who didn't share her passion for Christ and horses probably
>wouldn't find the list particularly absorbing, what with that being the
>subject and all :-).

Thanks for seeing exactly what my intentions were/are. ;-)

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <8c03f5$4oj$1...@web1.cup.hp.com>, "Terry von Gease" <t...@rose.hp.com>
writes:

>If you mean respect each others right to believe, fine and dandy. If you
>mean respect whatever damnfool thing in which someone chooses to believe,
>you're being the fool. There are more than just a handful of folk that not
>only should one not respect whatever it is they believe but they should be
>held in comtempt for believing it.

I respect other's rights to believe. I do not always respect the thing, god,
object, what have you, that someone else believes in, though.

cdhoward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
EqWriter wrote:

I'll give an example -- I do not agree
> with much of the stuff the Catholics believe in, e.g. worshiping Mary, the
> Saints, praying to them, going to a priest for confession, et al. However, I
> will not and do not attack them for their beliefs.

but say if I....card carrying Catholic were to join....my beliefs
(which define veneration and worship as two different things) would most
likely come into conflict with some of the stranger Protestant
beliefs...(snake kissing and laying on of the hands and other silliness)

so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>

Tamara in TN

Mary Rossano

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
What about those of us who worship at the alter of science, right before we read
hogwash, feed the goldfish and head out for the bar where men wear dresses and
lipstick? We're at all the ag schools...

Mary Rossano
(Mixing threads - sorry! Enjoy your list.)

EqWriter wrote:

> Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
> fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of

> my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses. If you're interested in
> joining just email ChristianEquest...@onelist.com and place
> subscribe in the subject line and in the body. Or visit us at
> http://www.onelist.com/group/ChristianEquestrians.

EqWriter

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
>CDHO...@infoave.net writes:

>but say if I....card carrying Catholic were to join....my beliefs
>(which define veneration and worship as two different things) would most
>likely come into conflict with some of the stranger Protestant
>beliefs...(snake kissing and laying on of the hands and other silliness)

That's true. But, if say you were to attack that silly snake kissing stuff,
then we'd have a problem. If you were to simply say, "I don't agree with all
that", then that's fine and dandy.

> so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
>for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>

Ah! But the same can be said for horse training methods, ;-)

Terry von Gease

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

Rudy wrote in message <20000330144842...@ng-cd1.aol.com>...

>Kris C. wrote:
>>So, what's the third passion?
>>BTW, would Jews not be welcome?
>
>EqWriter replied:
>>>My third passion is writing. Anyone is welcome, the only thing I ask is
that
>folks respect each other's beliefs.>
>
>Terry von ' Geez!' responded with alacrity:
>>If you mean respect each others right to believe, fine and dandy. If you
mean
>respect whatever damnfool thing in which someone chooses to believe, you're
>being the fool. There are more than just a handful of folk that not only
should
>one not respect whatever it is they believe but they should be held in
comtempt
>for believing it.>
>
>I have one question. Your statement above is according to who's beliefs?

The statement is fact, not an article of faith. It is the case regardess of
any being's belief system.

>Yours? Weeeellll, while I respect your right to believe, I do not
respect
>whatever damn fool thing in which you choose to believe. In fact, I hold
you
>in contempt for believing it. Damn -- that shit works both ways, don't it?
:)

Of course it does you idiot, that's the point.

Bill Kambic

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 20:36:36 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

<snipped>

>No Bill, it's not. But, if folks can not respect the other member's beliefs
>then I do not want them in the group.

Well, herein lies the problem. You are attempting to link a secular activity (the
equstrian arts) with a system of religious belief (Christianity). Since one has nothing
to do with the other the linkage is open to serious question.

Further, how do you define "respect?" If I challenge a belief that you might have (i.e.,
the literality of a certain edition of a certain version of the Bible) is that
"disrespect?" If it is, how does one have serious intellectual conversation on Biblical
issues? Indeed, will Biblical issues even be on topic? And if they are not, why do we
have a new group?

And certainly the grounds of controversy will not be limited to issues of religion. We
have had some mightly donnybrooks in this forum on such things as use of violent force
(i.e. striking a horse with a cane for biting). If you tell me that such conduct is
wrong, is that disrespect? If so, how does one conduct serious discussion of equine
disciplinary issues?

Last, and far from least, the form of speech is, or at least should be, secondary to its
content. What is an "attack" to you might be just an "acid comment" to me. As soon as
you begin to set standards for speech you will soon also begin to set standards for
content of that speech.

Before you do this you might like to read "Animal Farm."

> I'll give an example -- I do not agree
>with much of the stuff the Catholics believe in, e.g. worshiping Mary, the
>Saints, praying to them, going to a priest for confession, et al. However, I

>will not and do not attack them for their beliefs. Now, if someone were to join
>the list and start attacking Catholics, I'd then ask that person to stop and if
>s/he didn't, I'd kick 'em out.

Well, Catholics do not worship Mary. They only worship God. As to the others, prayer to
the Saints and Reconcilliation (used to be called "confession") are also generally
misunderstood.

But, be that as it may, what you really wish to do is to establish a "moderated" group,
where you or some other person/persons will be allowed to determine what can or cannot be
said. I am a participant in a few such groups, and they run the gammut from moderators
just keeping the group free of spam to AOL-like "little tin gods" setting standards, not
only of language, but also of intellectual content.

I am cognizant of Deb's comments. But, while you certainly have the right so solicite for
your new group, I have every right to criticize the establishment of such things.

Bill Kambic

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 21:35:22 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>> so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
>>for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>
>
>Ah! But the same can be said for horse training methods, ;-)

Not really. Horse training methods are subject to objective analysis and verfication.

cdhoward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
EqWriter wrote:

> > so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
> >for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>
>
> Ah! But the same can be said for horse training methods, ;-)

you are correct....<G> but very few people believe the placement of
their soul in the afterworld depends on how they train horses...(of
course I believe how we treat them does have a direct bearing on things
like this but I'm sure I'm a minority)

Tamara in TN

AlaTmPnr

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Eqwriter writes:

>CDHO...@infoave.net writes:

>but say if I....card carrying Catholic were to join....my beliefs
>(which define veneration and worship as two different things) would most
>likely come into conflict with some of the stranger Protestant
>beliefs...(snake kissing and laying on of the hands and other silliness)
>

>>That's true. But, if say you were to attack that silly snake kissing stuff,
then we'd have a problem. If you were to simply say, "I don't agree with all
that", then that's fine and dandy.

Sorry, folks just generally aren't that considerate. Generally, they have to
add WHY they don't like it. Disagreeing with it generally just isn't enough,
especially when accompanied by an agenda(zealots come to mind but who doesn't
have one<G>).

> so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
>for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>

>>Ah! But the same can be said for horse training methods, ;-)

PARTICULARLY horsetraining!!!!!

Bill(who spent the morning arguing techniques and was finally told it wasn't my
horse)

Bill

"Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak."

If Barbie's so popular, why do you have to buy all her friends?

cdhoward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Mary Rossano wrote:

> What about those of us who worship at the alter of science, right before we read
> hogwash, feed the goldfish and head out for the bar where men wear dresses and
> lipstick? We're at all the ag schools...

hey if the liquor is free I don't care what the men wear !!!!

Tamara in TN

Kris Carroll

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
One of the two most difficult JRJ threads to moderate (and I ended up taking
over for whatever kid was in charge) happened as a result of fundamental
Christian beliefs and they started innocently enough.

The first started when I posted the url to Kathleen Hunt's excellent Horse
Evolution Page (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses.html) as a suggested
ref for a school paper. Suddenly, Creation Theory was the topic of the day
instead of horses - you can bet jewish, muslim and catholic kids and parents
began voicing concerns. When I closed the topic, the Christian kids were
certain they had experienced discrimination. I suggested they start their own
list and I think there are several out there.

The second was over the practice of pinching off a twin. I didn't even see
that one coming. But the Christians felt if abortion was wrong, it was wrong
for mares too. Then all hell broke lose for a while.

The 3rd was some kid's casual and lazy use of Xmas, actually Victorian in
origin. But some denominations find it highly insulting.

Good luck with your new list Kathy. If you can keep the net cranks and fringe
elements out, I hope you can amass a collection of like minds to persue quiet discussion.

Kris C.

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 20:36:39 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>> 3) it sounds like she might be rethinking the concept to
>> be religion and equestrianism anyway

>Nope, I still want it to be Christian and equestrian oriented. Now if there
>were a Cowboy Church in my area, then I doubt I'd have even started this email
>group.

I've gotta admit, though, that while I'm a Christian and an
equestrian, I'm not particularly interested in such a group (I've yet
to find a discussion which combines both things which doesn't leave me
cold--too many years studying theology, I suppose, or else too much
reading what J*ck** posted about Christianity and horsemanship).

jrw

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
On 30 Mar 2000 20:36:36 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

snip

>No Bill, it's not. But, if folks can not respect the other member's beliefs
>then I do not want them in the group. I'll give an example -- I do not agree

>with much of the stuff the Catholics believe in, e.g. worshiping Mary, the
>Saints, praying to them, going to a priest for confession, et al. However, I
>will not and do not attack them for their beliefs. Now, if someone were to join
>the list and start attacking Catholics, I'd then ask that person to stop and if
>s/he didn't, I'd kick 'em out.

Good on you.

However, I've gotta admit, as a practicing Catholic, I doubt I'd fit
into a group like yours.

(btw, we DON'T worship Mary, that's a common misconception of Catholic
practice, same for praying to the Saints or worshiping the Saints. If
you want to discuss that, it's best done privately as this isn't the
forum for it. One reason I wouldn't be comfortable in a forum like
yours is that, like it or not, those things come out in discussion and
are generally NOT percieved by most Protestants as attacking
Catholics. A VERY evangelical sister-in-law of mine says the most
outrageous and offensive anti-Catholic stuff to me, and I've gotta
admit, I really don't think she *realizes* what she says and how
offensive it is).

Good luck to you with it, and I hope you find what you are seeking.

jrw

cdhoward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Farleyaw wrote:

My Grandmother has a good idea about religion. She says when she gets
> to the Pearly Gates she has a lot of questions she wants to ask! :)

I heard an old Rabbi say once...."Heaven ?? It is I think...mearly
different seating arrangements..."

I hope the Lord sets me near the stables....<G>

Tamara in TN

Don Bruder

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
<snip everything so far>

Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent
posting should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire
world to see. It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible
"right" way to make it public.

Don Bruder - Dak...@primenet.com
Horseman by day, 'net-freak by night. What a contrast, eh?
Make 50 cents (or more...) per hour when surfing by signing up
here: www.alladvantage.com/join.asp?refid=KJW570

cdhoward

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
Don Bruder wrote:

> <snip everything so far>
>
> Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent
> posting should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
> as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire
> world to see. It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible
> "right" way to make it public.

awwwww....commmom Don....there has'nt been any nastiness so far...(or
has there and I missed it??)

nothing like SOME of the crap we've listened to all winter from the
kill file gang <G>

what I find interesting is that most of the major world religions have
written notions of animal care...from Hindus to Muslims as well as
Christians and Jews...

this I think is an interesting twist to the religion and horses
topic...

Tamara in TN
no flaming nasties here...now or later <g>

ChrisMathews

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

If you have to tell people what type of person you are, good horse trainer,
excellent rider, Catholic, Christian, male, female; then you are doing a poor
job of being you. You should not have to stand behind a"label" but should
stand in front and show the world how proud you are to be "whatever" you are.

Don Bruder

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
In article <38E3EC...@infoave.net>, CDHO...@infoave.net wrote:

: awwwww....commmom Don....there has'nt been any nastiness so far...(or

: has there and I missed it??)

Nothing SUPER severe thus far, but to my cynical eye, there have been at
least 3 attempts (I'll leave them to you to locate/decide for yourself)
to turn it into a flamefest.
:
: nothing like SOME of the crap we've listened to all winter from the
: kill file gang <G>

<heh>
Since consolidating them into a handful of regular expressions that dump
'em regardless of their attempts to evade such things, I wouldn't know
about the killfile gang... Their rantings are dumped on the trash-heap
without ever being seen by me unless someone not on the kill-list
decides to quote/repost them.

:
: what I find interesting is that most of the major world religions have

: written notions of animal care...from Hindus to Muslims as well as
: Christians and Jews...

To be honest, it's something I've not bothered to do any research on,
since religion is one of those things that I have no time at all for.
I've got too many things to cope with in the here and now to worry about
some unproven (and unprovable) "hereafter". Taking care of the
(ob)horses eats most of my free time. The rest I spend on pursuits much
more interesting than religion.

Kris Carroll

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
cdhoward wrote:
> I hope the Lord sets me near the stables....<G>

Be careful what you ask for - you could end up at a h/j lesson barn and never
know if you were in heaven or hell. <EG>

KC

Deborah Stevenson

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00

I'm wondering if maybe you missed the first post, wherein it was clear
that the description applied to those who'd be interested in a particular
discussion listserv. It would seem quite unfair to me to announce the
opening of a new listserv and *not* mention one of its major subjects.

Religion has overlapped with a lot of aspects of culture, horses among
them--I suspect Charlotte for one could fill us in a bit on Islam and
horsemanship. Presumably if nobody finds this particular religion to
overlap with this particular bit of culture, then it'll be a moot point as
there'll be no listserv. If people do, then it's for them to say that
they do. Ditto anybody who wants to start a listserv on Star Trek
philosophy and horsemanship, and the moderator there would be free to kick
off anybody for scoffing at any given incarnation of starship captain :-).

I think some of the responses on this thread are, understandably, a bit
forumist :-). We on Usenet like to do our own filtering, and a moderated
listserv, wherein somebody filters for us, is something that sits oddly
with many newsgroupites. But that's the general lot of listservs, and it
doesn't strike me as being significant in isolation on this one. People
get unsubscribed for failing to conform to the moderator's concept
of fitness all the time. But they're always free to start up their own or
find one of the other listservs in the sea, so I'm really not seeing the
big deal. Not all listservs have to be suitable for all Usenet posters
:-).

Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
A spiritual expert in Scotland but an atheist in Champaign, IL, USA

Dennis O'Connor

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
"EqWriter" <eqwr...@aol.com> wrote ...
> Some, (more than I care to admit to), Christians scare me with their attitude.
> They think they're better than everyone else

So what ? Most people on this newsgroup think that.
And rarely with any real justification.

You say your scared ? Well, remember,
fear is the mind-killer.
--
Dennis O'Connor dm...@primenet.com
Vanity Web Page http://www.primenet.com/~dmoc/

Dennis O'Connor

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
"Bill Kambic" <wka...@vic.com> wrote ...

> On 30 Mar 2000 20:36:36 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:
> Well, herein lies the problem. You are attempting to link a secular activity
(the
> equstrian arts) with a system of religious belief (Christianity). Since one
has
> nothing to do with the other the linkage is open to serious question.

Bill, there are people who believe every action they take and
every word they say, their entire existance in fact, is intimately
linked with god(s) and his/her/its/their plans for hte universe.
To them, there is no division between the sacred and the
profane: everything is part of their religion. Their very lives
are a hymn of praise to their diety or dieties (usually with a
few off-key notes, but hey, they are only human!).

It's not my worldview, but that doesn't make it neccesarily wrong.
It's a question of
.
.
.
faith.

Dennis O'Connor

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
"Don Bruder" <dak...@primenet.com> wrote ...

> Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent
> posting should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
> as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire
> world to see. It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible
> "right" way to make it public.

And if we had followed Don's advice, the civil rights movement
and the anti-Vietnam war movements would never have
happened: wouldn't want to get Don's knickers in a twist
by speaking out in public to express a belief that other
people might find controversial !

Hey Don: why don't you take your _marvelous_ advice
over to, say, the gay-and-lesbian newsgroups: I'd love
to see how your belief that their beliefs should be kept
private and not expressed publicly because of the way
the homophobes react goes over there.

In fact, since I'm pretty sure this will be a "hot-button issue"
with them, and with anyone who has beliefs that don't
fit into your Leave-It-To-Beaver worldview, perhaps
you should have taken your own advice and not "paraded"
your belief in self-censorship around in public.

Unless, of course, it's only _other_ _people's_
controversial beliefs you believe are left "beter
thought and not heard" ?

Tom Stovall

Mar 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/30/00
anonymous, posting as "Kathy," wrote:

>Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it >would be fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also >happen to share two of my three greatest passions -- Christ and >horses...

I can't imagine why anyone would think it would be "fun" to limit
themselves to discussions of horses only with folks who've expressed a
belief in some particular superstition/religion.

But, it's your nickel. And, your loss.

Tom Stovall CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
sto...@wt.net
http://www.katyforge.com

WB Dare Me

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
cdhoward wrote:

>>so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G><<

Sounds kinda like horse training! :)

Monika

Monika Delle, Seattle, WA, USA **** Step Up To A Saddlebred! ****
Dare - W.B. Dare Me, western wonderhorse
Julie - Doubletree's Juliana, hunt seat and dressage
Sara - adopted Paint filly
& Kitties: Bean, Dora, Frango, Posie, Taz and Tickle

WB Dare Me

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Darn, I was too late with the obvious quip in my last post. :)

wkambic wrote:

>>Well, herein lies the problem. You are attempting to link a secular activity
(the
equstrian arts) with a system of religious belief (Christianity). Since one
has nothing
to do with the other the linkage is open to serious question. <<

Seems to me that's what would make the list interesting. I'm agnostic, but I
can see discussing these two interests in terms of each other.

>>Further, how do you define "respect?" If I challenge a belief that you might
have (i.e., the literality of a certain edition of a certain version of the
Bible) is that
"disrespect?" <<

A listowner gets the feel of what is "disrespect" and what is "disagreement". I
co-own a Saddlebred list some 235 members strong, and I know what people will
tolerate. Kathy will learn-she will make some mistakes, but she'll get that
feel.

>>If it is, how does one have serious intellectual conversation on Biblical
issues? Indeed, will Biblical issues even be on topic? And if they are not,
why do we have a new group? <<

Because Kathy wants one. Reason enough.

::major snippage::

I'm really not understanding why people are giving Kathy such a hard time.
Don't like her topic? Fine, don't subscribe. Feel free to start your own list
on whatever you want.

Kathy, if you need any help, I've learned quite a bit about diplomacy in the
last few years of moderating/co-owning my list. Feel free to email. :)

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38e3cabd...@news.vic.com>, wka...@vic.com (Bill Kambic)
writes:

>Further, how do you define "respect?" If I challenge a belief that you might
>have (i.e.,
>the literality of a certain edition of a certain version of the Bible) is
>that

>"disrespect?" If it is, how does one have serious intellectual conversation

>on Biblical
>issues? Indeed, will Biblical issues even be on topic? And if they are not,
>why do we
>have a new group?

Jeez Bill! You enjoy forcing me to think, don't you? <g> See, I don't see the
above example as disrespect. While I'd prefer the group to stick more to the
horse subject, if such a topic arises, then that's great. Now, referring back
to your example -- if you were to tell me I'm an #@%@% because I prefer the
King James version and have a major problem with the NIV, then that's being
disrespectful. If, in a civil manner, you point out that you don't agree with
me, then that's fine and I actually encourage such discussions. After all, if
we all agree on the same stuff, then how can we learn about the other stuff? (I
think that made sense -- I'm too exhausted to think straight right now, darn
you Bill! <G>)

>And certainly the grounds of controversy will not be limited to issues of
>religion. We
>have had some mightly donnybrooks in this forum on such things as use of
>violent force
>(i.e. striking a horse with a cane for biting). If you tell me that such
>conduct is
>wrong, is that disrespect?

Nope, it's merely disagreeing with you. Now then, calling you an idiot a
f*cking twit or the like is being rude and disrespectful.

> If so, how does one conduct serious discussion of
>equine
>disciplinary issues?

By debating the actions and not the person? Remember the various Rach Birgells'
threads? While I strongly disagree with the training practices she uses and
endorses, I do feel that those threads degenerated into an all out attack on
Rachel. I felt that some people got way out of hand with them. Does that help
clear things up some?

>Last, and far from least, the form of speech is, or at least should be,
>secondary to its
>content. What is an "attack" to you might be just an "acid comment" to me.
>As soon as
>you begin to set standards for speech you will soon also begin to set
>standards for
>content of that speech.

I see your point. For instance, I think someone(s) saw your comment and Terry's
as attacks -- I don't. In fact, I thought Terry made a valuable point and got a
laugh out of the way he worded his post. I don't see your posts as attacks
either -- rather, I see them as oppurtunities to make me think this entire list
idea through.
Going off on a slight tangent: Bill (AlaTmPnr) is often getting attacked on the
AOL horse boards for "attacking" people. He's not; he's just being very blunt
with his advice. While others feel he's attacking them, I prefer his
to-the-point posting style and actually usually just seek him out for advice
with Jazz.

>Before you do this you might like to read "Animal Farm."

I have and do not want to read it again. Although it is a great book to really
make you sit back and think and take some valuable life lessons from.

>> I'll give an example -- I do not agree
>>with much of the stuff the Catholics believe in, e.g. worshiping Mary, the
>>Saints, praying to them, going to a priest for confession, et al. However, I
>>will not and do not attack them for their beliefs. Now, if someone were to
>join
>>the list and start attacking Catholics, I'd then ask that person to stop and
>if
>>s/he didn't, I'd kick 'em out.
>

>Well, Catholics do not worship Mary. They only worship God. As to the
>others, prayer to
>the Saints and Reconcilliation (used to be called "confession") are also
>generally
>misunderstood.

Joyce pointed out how badly even I misunderstood all that stuff. And to think
that as a preteen and then young teen I was involved in CYO -- Catholic Youth
Organization.

>But, be that as it may, what you really wish to do is to establish a
>"moderated" group,
>where you or some other person/persons will be allowed to determine what can
>or cannot be
>said. I am a participant in a few such groups, and they run the gammut from
>moderators
>just keeping the group free of spam to AOL-like "little tin gods" setting
>standards, not
>only of language, but also of intellectual content.

Well, I will be a moderator that leans toward the first kind rather than the
second kind.

>I am cognizant of Deb's comments. But, while you certainly have the right so
>solicite for
>your new group, I have every right to criticize the establishment of such
>things.

Well, you be suprised, but I don't have a problem with your criticism of my
group. In fact, I've enjoyed reading your comments and have learned from them.
I view your comments as constructive criticism. I am open to and learn from
that particular type of criticism.

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38E3CC7E...@horse-country.com>, Kris Carroll
<kcar...@horse-country.com> writes:

snipped lots of informative stuff

>Good luck with your new list Kathy. If you can keep the net cranks and fringe
>elements out, I hope you can amass a collection of like minds to persue quiet
>discussion.

Thanks Kris, I hope this list works out, too. If it doesn't, I can just delete
it.

Some, (more than I care to admit to), Christians scare me with their attitude.

They think they're better than everyone else and they think that 'cause they go
to church every Sunday and tithe that what they do outside of church doesn't
matter. Some of the rudest and nastiest people I've met have been what I call
Sunday Christians. I don't want their ilk on my list. So ya, Bill K., in a
sense you are right -- it is either my way or the highway.

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <20000330172505...@ng-ci1.aol.com>, shuc5...@aol.com
(Sheryl Huckaby) writes:

>I hope that your list lures some like-minded individuals. Sometimes it is
>nice
>to talk to people who think the same as you do.

Which is the idea behind this list. It may not work out, then again, it may
work out better than I've imagined.

> Sometimes it is nice to have
>people who don't think like you do just to make you think.

Which is why I hang out on rec.eq, occasionally ask for advice and occasionally
comment and/or give advice. BTW, the comments from some folks on this very
thread have caused me to think ;-).

>Good luck with
>your
>list and I hope you make some new friends that you can relate to in all the
>ways you want to and maybe ya'll can all go on a trailride sometime.

Thanks Sheryl.

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <MPG.134da42f6...@news.frontiernet.net>,
dok...@frontiernet.net (K.Z.) writes:

>And I... as a card carrying agnostic... am uncertain as to the
>very existence of your list and its members. ;-)
>
>What list, I see no list

LOL Kelly. I needed a good laugh, thanks ;D.

Rudy

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
>Don Bruder wrote:

>Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent posting
should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
>as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire world
to see. It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible "right" way to
make it public>

ARGGHH! The original post was merely the announcement of a list that was being
started. Either you are interested or you aren't. There were a few jokes,
which is fine. But, sheesh! And, 'Perhaps the amount of debate over a
seemingly innocent topic -- 'no right way to make it public'? Thist happens
all the time on this newsgroup! Why should this topic be any different?

Ruth
Hoping God is with my horse at this moment, 'cus I can't be :)

Rudy

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
>Terry be Geezus wrote:
>Rudy wrote:
>I have one question. Your statement above is according to who's beliefs?
>
>The statement is fact, not an article of faith. It is the case regardess of
any being's belief system.>

>>Yours? Weeeellll, while I respect your right to believe, I do not respect
whatever damn fool thing in which you choose to believe. In fact, I hold you
>>in contempt for believing it. Damn -- that shit works both ways, don't it?
:)>

>Of course it does you idiot, that's the point.

Well -- dammit, ya damn fool -- re-read what you just wrote and try again. You
made a statement regarding what you believed about other being's beliefs. Then
you retort that your statement is a statement of fact, not an article of faith
(who the hell said it was an article of faith anyway, honeybunch?) Which means
what? That if you say it -- it's a fact? Well, you pompous pinhead, your
reasoning has major flaws. OOOH -- what a surprise.

May the horses of the world forever bask in the glow of your smoldering ego :)

Ruth

Diamond Hill Farm

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On 30 Mar 2000 05:55:45 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>Hey folks, I just started my very own email list <veg>. I decided it would be
>fun to have the chance to chat with other folks who also happen to share two of
>my three greatest passions -- Christ and horses.

Does this mean that y'all can't cuss when you ride? I know a fella who
got some foxhounds and started a pack for his friends so they could
cuss when they hunt. They're a randy bunch who could probably do with
a little religion to tone them down a bit. At least maybe they
wouldn't get any worse.
Good luck with your list.
Gretchen

Rudy

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Tamara wrote:
> so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance for
equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>

Kinda like equestrian topics, huh?

Ruth

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:10:38 -0500, cdhoward <CDHO...@infoave.net>
wrote:

snip

> awwwww....commmom Don....there has'nt been any nastiness so far...(or
>has there and I missed it??)

Very true. Not like the flamewars which happen when religion and
politics are being discussed.

> nothing like SOME of the crap we've listened to all winter from the
>kill file gang <G>

Ooooh...yes!

> what I find interesting is that most of the major world religions have
>written notions of animal care...from Hindus to Muslims as well as
>Christians and Jews...

Hmm. Hadn't thought about that concept, but it does make sense.

For that matter, I think there's more in the Qu'ran about horses than
in the Bible....but I haven't read it. Anyone know this? Or a decent
translation where I can find it for myself (the past attempts I've
made have been translations which didn't sound right to me).

> this I think is an interesting twist to the religion and horses
>topic...

And gives a chance to discuss stewardship w/out being inspired by
reactions to ill-informed animal rights folks!

jrw

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <20000330201119...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,

wbda...@aol.comspamstnx (WB Dare Me) writes:

>I'm really not understanding why people are giving Kathy such a hard time.
>Don't like her topic? Fine, don't subscribe. Feel free to start your own list
>on whatever you want.
>
>Kathy, if you need any help, I've learned quite a bit about diplomacy in the
>last few years of moderating/co-owning my list. Feel free to email. :)

Thanks Monika =). I'm actually suprised there hasn't been any out and out
attacks against my posts.

I will probably take you up on your offer as this will be the first time I've
ever run a listserv. It should prove interesting and a real learning
experience. Thanks again, Monika =).

J.A. Zanot

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
One question: Do ya' have thump your horse with the Bible to make it go?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.(smile-----it's a joke!)
~Jaz. J.A. Zanot
,;;;,
,;( )_, )~\|
;; / | |\
' ; \; \
ฐคบฐบค.,ธ ธ,.คบฐบคฐคบฐบค.,ธ ธ,.คบ
(remove: zzz, to reply)

C.M.Newell

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:22:11 GMT, j...@aracnet.com (Joyce
Reynolds-Ward) wrote:

>For that matter, I think there's more in the Qu'ran about horses than
>in the Bible....but I haven't read it. Anyone know this?

There's very little in the Qu'ran, but a fair bit in Hadith
literature on horses.
CMNewell, DVM
self-proclaimed vet
Surgeon General of the Bogbash Party

Joel B Levin

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In <dakidd-8E3EA9....@news.primenet.com>,

Don Bruder <dak...@primenet.com> wrote:
}Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent
}posting should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
}as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire
}world to see.

Problem is, that in some branches on the Christian side, public witnessing
and/or proselytizing are fundamental to their way of life.

} It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible

}"right" way to make it public.

/JBL (want to see a hot button? call something "judeo-christian"
(spit) )
--
Nets: levin/at/bbn.com | Isn't that the beauty of complete unawareness?
or jbl/at/levin.mv.com| It's the very first thing you're unaware of.

Sheryl Huckaby

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
>From: Joel B Levin j...@levin.mv.com

>Problem is, that in some branches on the Christian side, public witnessing
>and/or proselytizing are fundamental to their way of life.

Well, the lukewarm just don't make it to heaven.

Sheryl
Ashland City, Tennessee

If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate
something about your size? - Sydney J. Harris

cdhoward

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Don Bruder wrote:

> To be honest, it's something I've not bothered to do any research on,
> since religion is one of those things that I have no time at all for.
> I've got too many things to cope with in the here and now to worry about
> some unproven (and unprovable) "hereafter". Taking care of the
> (ob)horses eats most of my free time. The rest I spend on pursuits much
> more interesting than religion.

I view it more as a historical thing....before my hooo-hummm life took
over I wished to be an Egyptologist....I was consumed with it...from
second grade on....but I also had a passion for horses...so I have less
of an interest in the saving of the sould of others and the historical
notes presented in the old writings...

for instance....I love the readings of the Stables of Solomon...and
where and how he camne to have his war horses...and I cross reference
that back to Arabic traditions....so I get a picture of horse/animal
care thru the ages...

Tamara in TN
another strange hobby of mine....

cdhoward

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Joyce Reynolds-Ward wrote:

> > this I think is an interesting twist to the religion and horses
> >topic...
>
> And gives a chance to discuss stewardship w/out being inspired by
> reactions to ill-informed animal rights folks!

I have a great interest in ancient history and horses.....which is
probably why I loved Deb Bennets book so much.....and the best info on
ancient cultures comes from their relious writings...

it is a lovely way to get a peek at a lost world...

as for animal care from the Bible is a bit sketchy...and has to be
fitted together....but it gives a clear picture of animal care after a
time...

now companion animals were not mentioned in the Bible...but the
Egyptians were very interested in those animals....as the heiroglyphs
from the Book of the Dead show...

and from the war manuals as well as war manuals) they were masters of
chariot warfare as well...well after the Hyskos whipped their butts and
showed them how to drive a team<G>

((and as I recall correctly the Hyskos were the very same folks that
king Solomon bought his war horses from....))

the Hindu and Buddists both hold certain animals as sacred...so it is
an interesting combination of places and things and writings that show
human concern (or a lack thereof ) for the animals that share this place
with us....

Tamara in TN

EqWriter

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <fmd8es8mgp7unhj3v...@news.bbn.com>, Joel B Levin
<j...@levin.mv.com> writes:

>want to see a hot button? call something "judeo-christian"
> (spit) )
>--

Okay, call my ignorant, but why would that be a hot button? Jesus was born a
Jew. The Christian relegion was "born out of" the Jewish one. Plus, Jews and
Christians read some of the same biblical books -- the Old Testament comes to
mind.

ChrisMathews

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
And just how do you know!

Deborah Stevenson

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

On 31 Mar 2000, Sheryl Huckaby wrote:

> >From: Joel B Levin j...@levin.mv.com
>
> >Problem is, that in some branches on the Christian side, public witnessing
> >and/or proselytizing are fundamental to their way of life.
>
> Well, the lukewarm just don't make it to heaven.

What about the matthewwarm, the markwarm, and the johnwarm :-)?

Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
Who prefers her johnwarm in Champaign, IL, USA

Sheryl Huckaby

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
>From: ChrisMathews chrism...@fwi.com

>And just how do you know!
>

>Sheryl Huckaby wrote:
>
>> >From: Joel B Levin j...@levin.mv.com
>>
>> >Problem is, that in some branches on the Christian side, public witnessing
>> >and/or proselytizing are fundamental to their way of life.
>> >

>> Well, the lukewarm just don't make it to heaven.
>>

>> Sheryl
>> Ashland City, Tennessee
>>
>> If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate
>> something about your size? -

>And just how do you know!
>

>Sheryl Huckaby wrote:
>
>> >From: Joel B Levin j...@levin.mv.com
>>
>> >Problem is, that in some branches on the Christian side, public witnessing
>> >and/or proselytizing are fundamental to their way of life.
>> >

>> Well, the lukewarm just don't make it to heaven.

Just quoting bible school from years ago. We were taught that if you didn't
witness, share the belief and try to convert people that you don't go to
heaven. I think it is from Paul's writings because that is what Church of
Christ is based on & is from the part about being hot or cold & not lukewarm.

Mycab

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

cdhoward wrote:

> so in the end...where religion is involved there is really no chance
> for equal speech....because everyone believes they are correct <G>

...except for those magnanimous individuals willing to go out on a limb and admit
that in this area NO one is "correct", and therefore has no right to try to
convince anyone else otherwise. Kathy

Diamond Hill Farm

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On 31 Mar 2000 03:38:57 GMT, jazz...@aol.comzzz (J.A. Zanot) wrote:

>One question: Do ya' have thump your horse with the Bible to make it go?

Ok, I'll bite.
This is the only OBHorse/religious joke I know:

A boy gallops his horse to town and pulls up in front of the Doctor's
house. The horse falls over exhausted. The boy bangs on the Doctor's
door, " Doc! You gotta come to the ranch quick. Dad's hurt bad". The
Doctor runs across the street to the livery stable, but all the horses
are taken. He runs to the preacher's house and asks to borrow his
horse. The preacher throws a saddle on his horse, the Doctor hops on
and spurs the horse, GIDDYUP!! The horse won't budge. The preacher
tells the Doctor that to make the horse go you have to say Praise The
Lord. To make him stop say Amen.
The Doctor hollars Praise The Lord and they take off across the
prairie to the ranch.
Along the way, the horse is spooked by a cougar and bolts. The doctor,
forgetting the preacher's instruction, hollars Whoa, Whoa, but the
horse does not respond. He heads straight for a cliff with a 200 foot
drop. The doctor is hollaring Whoa and jerking on the reins with all
his might but nothing will stop the horse on his uncontrolled run for
the cliff. The doctor realizes he is doomed and prays for God's help.
As he reaches the precipice, he ends his prayer and says Amen.
The horse plants his hind legs and rocks back and in big cloud of dust
comes to a sliding stop at the edge of the cliff.
The doctor peers over the horse's shoulder to the bottom of the cliff
and, believing that his life has been spared by the power of prayer,
shouts
PRAISE THE LORD _
_
_
_
_
_

Gretchen
jokes for all occasions

Mycab

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

EqWriter wrote:

> In article <fmd8es8mgp7unhj3v...@news.bbn.com>, Joel B Levin
> <j...@levin.mv.com> writes:
>
> >want to see a hot button? call something "judeo-christian"
> > (spit) )
> >--
>
> Okay, call my ignorant, but why would that be a hot button? Jesus was born a
> Jew. The Christian relegion was "born out of" the Jewish one. Plus, Jews and
> Christians read some of the same biblical books -- the Old Testament comes to
> mind.

Well, don't people call themselves "Christian" to separate themselves from "Jews"
? My agnostic-but--cultural Jewish husband does get a laugh when people use the
term "Christian" to describe something that is really only "moral" such as a
"Christian attitude"; I don't think Christians have cornered the market on doing
"the right thing"!!
(What would a "Jewish" attitude be? I wonder.)

mjmc...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38E3CC7E...@horse-country.com>,
kcar...@horse-country.com wrote:

> The 3rd was some kid's casual and lazy use of Xmas, actually Victorian
in
> origin. But some denominations find it highly insulting.

Reminds me of what the great Kinky Friedman has to say. "...we Jews
believe it was Santa Claus that killed Jesus Christ." (lyric from the
song: They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore", Kinky Friedman and
the Texas Jewboys)

Mary

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Cat

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

:> >From: Joel B Levin j...@levin.mv.com
:>

Deborah wrote:
:What about the matthewwarm, the markwarm, and the johnwarm :-)?
<choke> -1000 on ya for pun of the month! MAN I needed that.
&*(*&*^&%^ computer woes.

Erm, don't forget the tapewarm.

--
Cat (and Larry OT)
http://www.divineequines.com

Meghan Noecker

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:06:21 -0500, Mycab <KShe...@psghs.edu> wrote:

>Well, don't people call themselves "Christian" to separate themselves from "Jews"

Nope. I am christian because I believe in Christ. I respect other
faiths, and I do believe that both Christians and Jews believe in the
same God, albeit differently (single vs trinity). I have never called
myself a christian to separate myself from somebody else. It is simply
what I am.

>? My agnostic-but--cultural Jewish husband does get a laugh when people use the
>term "Christian" to describe something that is really only "moral" such as a
>"Christian attitude"; I don't think Christians have cornered the market on doing
>"the right thing"!!
>(What would a "Jewish" attitude be? I wonder.)

There are many people who claim to be christian and aren't. That is a
totally different subject.
Meghan
Friesians in the Northwest
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com/friesian.htm

mjmc...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

> The 3rd was some kid's casual and lazy use of Xmas, actually Victorian
in
> origin. But some denominations find it highly insulting.

As the great Kinky Friedman writes: "...we Jews believe it was Santa
Claus that killed Jesus Christ" -- from the song "They Ain't Makin' Jews
like Jesus Anymore", Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys.

mjmc...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

mjmc...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

mjmc...@my-deja.com

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00

C.M.Newell

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:06:21 -0500, Mycab <KShe...@psghs.edu> wrote:

>...; I don't think Christians have cornered the market on doing
>"the right thing"!!

That's for damn sure.

>(What would a "Jewish" attitude be? I wonder.)

Oy.

Ob horsey: according to Islamic tradition, the Prophet said, "...Man
is to be blamed for all kinds of pastime, for they are futile, except
for three: shooting; horse-riding (horse-taming); and entertaining
one's own family."

R Bishop

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
In article <38E4A8...@infoave.net>,
cdhoward <CDHO...@infoave.net> wrote:

Tamara, look for books by Judith Tarr. She has a doc in Eastern History
and often places her books in that area. She also raises Lipizzans and
generally weaves horse tales into her fantasy books.

Her latest, Household Gods, isn't a horse story, but it's outstanding.

> Tamara in TN
> another strange hobby of mine....

Sue

"Never trust anything that thinks for itself,
if you can't see where it keeps its brain."

J K Rowlings

Bill Kambic

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:11:42 GMT, mjmc...@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <38E3CC7E...@horse-country.com>,
>kcar...@horse-country.com wrote:
>
>> The 3rd was some kid's casual and lazy use of Xmas, actually Victorian
>in
>> origin. But some denominations find it highly insulting.
>
>As the great Kinky Friedman writes: "...we Jews believe it was Santa
>Claus that killed Jesus Christ" -- from the song "They Ain't Makin' Jews
>like Jesus Anymore", Kinky Friedman and the Texas Jewboys.

Another Kinkster fan! ALL RIGHT!!!!!!

OBHorsey: "Ride, ride 'em Jewboy, ride all around the old coral!"

Modestly Politically Incorrect portion of "We Reserve The Right To Refuse Service To YOU!"

Well, it’s just my luck that God’s a Texan
One big sonbitchin’ Anglo-Saxon,
Some crazy tall Norwegian bore
Just to help my body shipped air-freight
From Texas to the Pearly Gate
Just ring the bell and leave me at the door.
I’ll be somewhere over Jordan swinging low,
I’ll hear them tape-recorded angels in lifelike stereo

Singing,
“We reserve the right to refuse service to you,
Take your business back to Walgreen’s,
Have you tried your local zoo ?
Our quota’s filled for this year
On singing Texas Jews,
We reserve the right to refuse service to you.”

For lots more, go http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/kfindex.htm

Bill Kambic, Bright Star Farm, Kingston, TN
Mangalarga Marchador: Style, Stamina, Symmetry, Smoothness
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1816

Christine Marositz

Mar 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/31/00
Mary, your vinyl record must be slipping. This was the 4th repeat of this
post, or is that your mantra??? <g> Athena
<mjmc...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
<snip>
: They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore", Kinky Friedman and
> the Texas Jewboys)
>
> Mary

Rocky

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00

On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:09:49 -0600, Tom Stovall <sto...@wt.net>
wrote:

>I can't imagine why anyone would think it would be "fun" to limit
>themselves to discussions of horses only with folks who've expressed a
>belief in some particular superstition/religion.
>
>But, it's your nickel. And, your loss.

But this the age of specialization. Do you go to a "doctor" anymore?
No, you go to some specialist depending on your chosen illness of the
week.

Just wait till it gets REAL specific. How about the all male, gay,
white, christian, republican, divorced riders from San Francisco
California, who only ride on Saturdays, only use snaffle bits, and
only ride brown quarter horse mares and only 15 hand horses are
allowed, and only those who use Triple W saddles, and only those with
10 years riding experience, and only those who are trained by one
specific trainer, and everyone must wear the same color and style of
clothing.

Of course, it does not stop there, because it could be further broken
down by income level, profession, education, neighborhoods, club
afiliations, food choices, sexual experience, IQ, weight, height, eye
and hair color, drug preferences, amount of beer consumed, diseases,
preferred TV shows, size of hard drive, or some other sizes, and much
much more.

You could even become more specific, by the temoerament of the horse,
or preferred type of grain the horse likes, or the amount of foals
these mares had.

This list is endless, and eventually, they would all be riding alone !

>Tom Stovall CJF
>Farrier & Blacksmith
>sto...@wt.net
>http://www.katyforge.com

Bill Kambic

Apr 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/1/00
On Sat, 01 Apr 2000 01:25:06 -0600, Rocky <rockyroa...@iname.com> wrote:

>Now, just a few things to consider.
>If Christ was here today, would he ride a horse, or drive a cadillac
>limosene? If he did choose a horse, what breed would he ride?
>Would he ride Western or English? Or maybe he would drive his horse,
>or a team of drafts. Would he wear a cowboy hat, or a riding helmet?
>Would his saddle bags be full of bibles or beer? Would his horse be
>green broke or professionally trained? Would he join the Amish, or be
>on the internet?

Actually, Ray Steven's asked most of these questions (or at least the important ones) in
his masterful work "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex."<g>

Choicy Kid

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Rocky roads wrote<<>If Christ was here today, would he ride a horse, or drive a

cadillac
>limosene? If he did choose a horse, what breed would he ride?
>Would he ride Western or English? Or maybe he would drive his horse,
>or a team of drafts. Would he wear a cowboy hat, or a riding helmet?
>Would his saddle bags be full of bibles or beer? Would his horse be
>green broke or professionally trained? Would he join the Amish, or be
>on the internet?

Since He was a son of a carpenter and wandered the country preaching, He would
probably have a grade horse and ride western. No need for a helmet (divine
protection) Saddle bags most likely full of loaves and fishes to feed the
multitudes.Most likely green broke horse, since he expressed little love for
formalities And probably not use the internet since he preferred the personal
touch.

As for joining a group that thinks exactly like you, sometimes it is peaceful.
Participation does not mean that one cannot join other more eclectic groups,
and continue to challenge ones mind.

Bazza Magoo

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On 30 Mar 2000 14:50:51 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>In article <38E36160...@quik.com>, Sandi <mag...@quik.com> writes:
>
>>Hmmm ..... maybe Jews for Jesus would be .....
>>

>LOL, good point. While folks of other beliefs are welcome in the group, I did
>start this group with the intention of having a place where Christian
>equestrians can share horse stuff back and forth. If "you" can not respect
>other folks beliefs, then I will kick you out of the group -- and this be no
>matter what faith you follow.

As long as you are prepared to sacrifice your firstborn of man and beast
as God commands you should get on well.

Have you sacrificed an animal today?

BTW. I think you have a witch living in the next street. You must not
allow her to live if you want a place in heaven.
How do you know if she is a witch? If she weighs the same as a duck
she is made of wood and therefore a witch.

Barry
========
Fax number: +1 (775) 415 3154
Web page: http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~barryog
Atheist information, Scanner frequency list, Horse mating pictures

Bazza Magoo

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:10:38 -0500, cdhoward <CDHO...@infoave.net> wrote:

> what I find interesting is that most of the major world religions have
>written notions of animal care...from Hindus to Muslims as well as
>Christians and Jews...

The idea of Christian animal care is to burn them in sacrifice to their
perverse myth God.

> Tamara in TN

Bazza Magoo

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:50:24 -0800, Don Bruder <dak...@primenet.com> wrote:

><snip everything so far>
>
>Y'know, perhaps the amount of debate over such a seemingly innocent
>posting should serve as a lesson: One's religious beliefs should be kept
>as part of one's private life, rather than paraded around for the entire
>world to see. It's such a hot-button issue that there's no possible
>"right" way to make it public.

You ignore the fact that Christians feel the need to parade their perverse lifestyle
around wherever they go. How would they feel if we insisted on talking about
horses in a Christian newsgroup?

Bazza Magoo

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On 31 Mar 2000 13:55:59 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>In article <fmd8es8mgp7unhj3v...@news.bbn.com>, Joel B Levin
><j...@levin.mv.com> writes:
>
>>want to see a hot button? call something "judeo-christian"
>> (spit) )
>>--
>
>Okay, call my ignorant, but why would that be a hot button? Jesus was born a
>Jew.

Jesus never existed.

Bazza Magoo

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
On 30 Mar 2000 20:36:34 GMT, eqwr...@aol.comgetlost (EqWriter) wrote:

>Why do you find it so absurd to link one's relegious beliefs with one's
>hobbies?

Christianity is absurd.

Equuality

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
>>Okay, call my ignorant, but why would that be a hot button? Jesus was born
>>Jew.
>
>Jesus never existed.
>
>Barry

Shouldn't you take this discussion
to a religious newsgroup? I'll bet there
are several if you do a search. Just a
thought.

EQ