any idea how much I should ask for a used hot walker?

cindi

Apr 27, 2010, 12:45:46 AM4/27/10
Hi all. Any ideas? I want to sell this hot walker. Unfortunately a
trainer friend wanted to buy it for years but my dad didn't want to
sell it as he was sure I would one day start using it. But finally he
became convinced we don't need it, of course after my friend bought
one elsewhere. I've checked craigslist and horse sites and I can't
find any six horse used hot walkers for comparison. And I guess I
should measure it? Or does six horse pretty much explain how big it
must be, so they don't all crash into each other? ;-) It has two
forward speeds and one reverse speed. Pictures of it are on my Flickr
site, near the top:

http://flickr.com/allisonacres

thanks so much for any input!
cindi

Jane Saranac

Apr 27, 2010, 8:15:11 AM4/27/10

"cindi" <alliso...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hi all. Any ideas? I want to sell this hot walker.

There is one for sale at the barn where we originally boarded. However
knowing that seller
his price may be a good deal higher than it's worth.

http://www.falconridgeny.com/forsale.html

You might try to find out the retail price of yours and how old it is. Many
times if you contact the company that made it and give them the serial
number they will provide that information.

Tara

Apr 27, 2010, 11:06:53 AM4/27/10
"cindi" <alliso...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. Any ideas? I want to sell this hot walker. Unfortunately a

http://craiglook.com/all.html

Jane Saranac

Apr 27, 2010, 11:12:38 AM4/27/10

"Tara" <irn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Wow, that's a great resource, thanks Tara!

JC Dill

Apr 27, 2010, 11:15:10 AM4/27/10
cindi wrote:
> Hi all. Any ideas? I want to sell this hot walker. Unfortunately a
> trainer friend wanted to buy it for years but my dad didn't want to
> sell it as he was sure I would one day start using it. But finally he
> became convinced we don't need it, of course after my friend bought
> one elsewhere. I've checked craigslist and horse sites and I can't
> find any six horse used hot walkers for comparison. And I guess I
> should measure it? Or does six horse pretty much explain how big it
> must be, so they don't all crash into each other? ;-)

I've never seen a 6-horse hot walker. All the hot walkers I've seen at
the track and at various farms have been 4-horse models. The 6-horse
model is much bigger (much longer arms), and I think it's a disadvantage
- it requires more space and unless you frequently need to put more than
4 horses on a walker at one time it ends up just eating space that you
could have used for something else.

Hot walkers are measured by the length of the arms. However, from a
sales perspective it might be a disadvantage to point out how long the
arms really are, and cause potential buyers to skip your ad and keep
looking for a smaller one. I think I'd just list it as a 6-horse walker
and only mention the size if a buyer asks.

As for price, it depends on if you want to just move it on and free up
the space pronto, or if you want to wait for the perfect buyer (who
really wants a used 6-horse model) who is willing to pay more. If you
don't want to wait I'd price it at around the same price as 4-horse
models and hope it sells quickly. It's much better to have it sell
quickly and think you under-priced it than to get no buyers and keep
lowering and lowering and lowering the price until you worry you are
going to end up selling it for scrap/recycling.

jc

Tara

Apr 27, 2010, 11:36:32 AM4/27/10
"Jane Saranac" <jsala...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I think someone here turned me onto it a while back. I can't remember who,
when or what I was looking for but maybe he/she will speak up.

Tara

cindi

Apr 27, 2010, 11:40:37 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 8:36 am, "Tara" <irn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think someone here turned me onto it a while back. I can't remember who,
> when or what I was looking for but maybe he/she will speak up.
>
> Tara

Wow, awesome. I was manually searching various cities. Thanks!

cindi

JC Dill

Apr 27, 2010, 11:56:37 AM4/27/10

>>> http://craiglook.com/all.html

>> Wow, that's a great resource, thanks Tara!
>
> I think someone here turned me onto it a while back. I can't remember
> who, when or what I was looking for but maybe he/she will speak up.

It might have been me - I regularly use it and recommend it to others.

If you forget the URL, just google for: search all craigslist
and craiglook.com comes up as the top hit.

jc

cindi

Apr 27, 2010, 11:57:10 AM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 8:15 am, JC Dill <jcdill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've never seen a 6-horse hot walker.

You have seen one - it was here when you visited. :-) Although I
don't recall us talking about it or looking at it or anything.

> All the hot walkers I've seen at
> the track and at various farms have been 4-horse models.  The 6-horse
> model is much bigger (much longer arms), and I think it's a disadvantage
> - it requires more space and unless you frequently need to put more than
> 4 horses on a walker at one time it ends up just eating space that you
> could have used for something else.

I'm sure some folks will not have the space. But personally I would
never use a four horse walker - the diameter of the circle is just so
small. That's why I don't use even the current one I have. It's not
worth the effort to me to hook them up to leave them on for what I
consider an appropriate amount of time on a circle like that. I think
it's about 70 feet in diameter, slightly bigger than my round pen, and
I won't do more than 10 minutes in the round pen without breaks. So
yeah, if the space isn't there, it isn't there, but man, those four
horse models are small. IMO. :-)

> As for price, it depends on if you want to just move it on and free up
> the space pronto, or if you want to wait for the perfect buyer (who
> really wants a used 6-horse model) who is willing to pay more.  If you
> don't want to wait I'd price it at around the same price as 4-horse
> models and hope it sells quickly.  It's much better to have it sell
> quickly and think you under-priced it than to get no buyers and keep
> lowering and lowering and lowering the price until you worry you are
> going to end up selling it for scrap/recycling.

Yeah. I'm not in a rush. I haven't decided what to do with the space
but maybe it'll be just another individual turnout area, or a round
pen. I would like to work it into trailer parking but my dad planted
an orchard and some shade trees all along the edges making it pretty
inaccessible for a truck/trailer. We used to use it as an outdoor
washrack of sorts but now on the other end of the arena we have a nice
shady overhang with an outdoor washrack and places to tie horses
either in the sun or the shade, so nobody really goes on that side of
the arena anymore.

thanks!
cindi

cindi

Apr 27, 2010, 12:18:50 PM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 5:15 am, "Jane Saranac" <jsalaci...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "cindi" <allisonac...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all.  Any ideas?  I want to sell this hot walker.
>
> There is one for sale at the barn where we originally boarded.  However
> knowing that seller
> his price may be a good deal higher than it's worth.
>
>  http://www.falconridgeny.com/forsale.html

Wow, weird... He and I might have the only two used 6 horse hot
walkers for sale in the entire universe. :-)

His looks newer. But it doesn't look very heavy duty? I guess
without the arms attached it's hard to visualize. Mine has some way
of emergency detachment of the lines, and some sort of slip system so
if the horses resist, the motor won't burn out. But mine is old. It
was here when we moved in but I think it had already been here 5 years
or so, so 15 years old or thereabouts. I have tried to contact the
guy we bought the house from; he lives just down the street. But his
phone is disconnected. I will drop in I guess - he should know all
the details, and he told me to stop by and check out his new horses
the last time we talked. It's so funny - horses are a sickness. He
moved from here b/c he wanted to get out of horses. But over time, at
his new place, he added a pasture, a barn with two stalls, a hay barn,
two runs, a hot walker (4 horse), and two horses. :-)

> You might try to find out the retail price of yours and how old it is.  Many
> times if you contact the company that made it and give them the serial
> number they will provide that information.

There are no identifying marks on it anywhere. But OMG, new pricing
is super high. The Priefert economy models which are 5 horse and only
one speed one direction are $8000 new. Their nicer ones with a
control box and remote control, variable speed, 6 horse, are $14,000.
So I'm starting to think $2000 for mine. OBO. :-)

thanks all
cindi

Tara

Apr 27, 2010, 12:53:55 PM4/27/10
"JC Dill" <jcdill...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> I think someone here turned me onto it a while back. I can't remember
>> who, when or what I was looking for but maybe he/she will speak up.
>
> It might have been me - I regularly use it and recommend it to others.

Thanks JC. It might have been back when I was searching for a dressage
saddle for Christmas. I use it all the time now and am always recommending
it.

Tara

JC Dill

Apr 27, 2010, 1:02:18 PM4/27/10
cindi wrote:
> On Apr 27, 8:15 am, JC Dill <jcdill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a 6-horse hot walker.
>
> You have seen one - it was here when you visited. :-) Although I
> don't recall us talking about it or looking at it or anything.

I meant seeing one set-up and in-use. I remember seeing stuff by/in the
shed/barn that was left by the former owners but you weren't using.

>> All the hot walkers I've seen at
>> the track and at various farms have been 4-horse models. The 6-horse
>> model is much bigger (much longer arms), and I think it's a disadvantage
>> - it requires more space and unless you frequently need to put more than
>> 4 horses on a walker at one time it ends up just eating space that you
>> could have used for something else.
>
> I'm sure some folks will not have the space. But personally I would
> never use a four horse walker - the diameter of the circle is just so
> small. That's why I don't use even the current one I have. It's not
> worth the effort to me to hook them up to leave them on for what I
> consider an appropriate amount of time on a circle like that. I think
> it's about 70 feet in diameter, slightly bigger than my round pen, and
> I won't do more than 10 minutes in the round pen without breaks. So
> yeah, if the space isn't there, it isn't there, but man, those four
> horse models are small. IMO. :-)

I would never use a hot-walker, period. Most of the people who use them
don't consider walking a horse in a small circle to be a problem. IMO
there's a very small market of people who would consider/use a hot
walker but only a larger one (larger circles). The smaller the
potential buyer market, the harder it is to find that right buyer to
sell an item.

>> As for price, it depends on if you want to just move it on and free up
>> the space pronto, or if you want to wait for the perfect buyer (who
>> really wants a used 6-horse model) who is willing to pay more. If you
>> don't want to wait I'd price it at around the same price as 4-horse
>> models and hope it sells quickly. It's much better to have it sell
>> quickly and think you under-priced it than to get no buyers and keep
>> lowering and lowering and lowering the price until you worry you are
>> going to end up selling it for scrap/recycling.
>
> Yeah. I'm not in a rush.

If you aren't in a rush, my suggestion is that you don't list it (on
sales sites like craigslist) continuously. List it for a week, then
wait a month before you relist it. When people check the ads regularly
and they see the same item listed (for the same price) week after week
they figure something is wrong with it, or that it's very overpriced.
If there's a buyer out there looking for a 6-horse hot walker they will
come across your ad soon enough even if you don't list it continuously.

Good luck!

jc

cindi

Apr 27, 2010, 1:11:07 PM4/27/10
On Apr 27, 10:02 am, JC Dill <jcdill.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I meant seeing one set-up and in-use.  I remember seeing stuff by/in the
> shed/barn that was left by the former owners but you weren't using.

Oh, yeah. We did start using it a bit but not much. Here's a pic of
it in use:
http://allisonacres.org/exoticbreeds.jpg

> I would never use a hot-walker, period.  Most of the people who use them
> don't consider walking a horse in a small circle to be a problem.  IMO
> there's a very small market of people who would consider/use a hot
> walker but only a larger one (larger circles).  The smaller the
> potential buyer market, the harder it is to find that right buyer to
> sell an item.

Yeah. The trainer who had wanted to buy mine has his four horse now
and he uses it a lot. It moves very slowly - I guess it has a
completely variable speed system, not just slow/fast like mine - and
the horses on it sort of mince along. I don't get a good feeling when
watching it. He's got at least 3 people who work for him warming up
and riding. If it was me I'd just use a human for the cooling off/
warming up/whatever he's doing.

> If you aren't in a rush, my suggestion is that you don't list it (on
> sales sites like craigslist) continuously.  List it for a week, then
> wait a month before you relist it.  When people check the ads regularly
> and they see the same item listed (for the same price) week after week
> they figure something is wrong with it, or that it's very overpriced.
> If there's a buyer out there looking for a 6-horse hot walker they will
> come across your ad soon enough even if you don't list it continuously.

That's good advice, thanks. There actually is something wrong with it
- something fell off of something, the spindle it might be called,
when a bunch of kids were playing on it a couple months ago. It looks
like it's something you'd take apart to move it to a new location
anyway, and then just put it back together. But I don't know for
sure. Makes it harder to sell when we don't know anything about it,
LOL, but I guess we'll see what happens.

take care
cindi

shawnbi...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2015, 3:51:13 PM11/2/15
Is this walker still for sale? If so, where is it located and how much. Been trying to find a used one..

charit...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2016, 10:12:27 PM3/13/16
Do you still have it?

ding...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2019, 11:31:42 PM1/23/19
I'm interested, where are you located?
Kevin Dinger 985 498 0490

James Bifano

Sep 25, 2021, 12:42:48 PM9/25/21
On Tuesday, April 27, 2010 at 12:45:46 AM UTC-4, cindi wrote:
How much do you want for it, how old is it and where are you located?