Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Mina Sharpe, T-AARF

ungelesen,
04.08.2000, 03:00:0004.08.00
an
Does anyone have any experience with false ringbone in
babies? I'm trying to rescue a yearling filly out of a
feedlot, who apparently has ringbone. In doing a bit of
research about Ringbone, I came across something called
false ringbone, which occurs in young horses due to diet
deficincies.

My question is, without a vet (she'll get seen by one when
she gets out) telling us what it is, what are the chances
that a yearling could have "normal" ringbone?? My hope is
that since she probably has major diet deficincies, that her
ringbone is this "false" and not regular. Any thoughts are
appreciated..

Mina

Bella

ungelesen,
04.08.2000, 03:00:0004.08.00
an
In article <398B0296...@ficnet.net>,
"Mina Sharpe, T-AARF" <shar...@ficnet.net> wrote:
> <snip> I came across something called

> false ringbone, which occurs in young horses due to diet
> deficincies.

Wow! Never knew it was called that. I'll have to go look it up.

> My question is, without a vet (she'll get seen by one when
> she gets out) telling us what it is, what are the chances
> that a yearling could have "normal" ringbone?? My hope is
> that since she probably has major diet deficincies, that her
> ringbone is this "false" and not regular. Any thoughts are
> appreciated..

I'm assuming regular is non-articular.

Actually, most horses have some kind of non-articular ringbone
somewhere. For most horses it does not affect performance.
Non-articular ringbone occurs whenever a tendon is torn from the bone,
or when a hard knock affects the surface of the bone, AFAIK. So long as
the yearling moves and passes flexion tests just fine I don't think you
need to worry about it being non-articular or false (whatever that might
be) ringbone.

Where are the bumps? Have you pressed them to make sure they are hard?
Has the yearling been trotted on a firm surface and viewed?

--
Bella...
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mina Sharpe, T-AARF

ungelesen,
05.08.2000, 03:00:0005.08.00
an
Unfortunatley, I've never seen the horse, and probably
never will. Im In California, she's in Minnesota... If I
could see her, it would answeer so many questions- as it is,
all I know is the person who took heer photo says "she has
ringbone"...

Mina

Bella

ungelesen,
05.08.2000, 03:00:0005.08.00
an
In article <398B89EF...@ficnet.net>,

"Mina Sharpe, T-AARF" <shar...@ficnet.net> wrote:
> Unfortunatley, I've never seen the horse, and probably
> never will. Im In California, she's in Minnesota... If I
> could see her, it would answeer so many questions- as it is,
> all I know is the person who took heer photo says "she has
> ringbone"...
>
> Mina

Oh gosh!! If that's all you know that could be pretty scary. But the
horse is a yearling, so chances are the ringbone is either the false
type that you mentioned, or it has occured from contusions. Either way
you are at risk if you can't watch the horse move.

Sheesh! I don't know what to say??!?

Tom Stovall

ungelesen,
07.08.2000, 03:00:0007.08.00
an
Mina Sharpe wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with false ringbone in
> babies?...

I don't know anything about "false ringbone," but I can tell you summat
about ringbone.

Ringbone refers to new bone growth on the phalanges and is classified,
"high" and/or "low," "articular" and/or "periarticular," depending on
the location of the new bone. On presentation of symptoms, the vets
hereabouts generally take a few radiographs to determine if new bone
growth is existent and diagnose the pathology on that basis.

Trauma is the usual etiology, so it would be possible for a yearling to
have ringbone, especially if some insult had disturbed the periosteum:
at that age, new bone growth would more likely be the result a wire cut
rather than the result of unequal loading of the foot due to
predisposing conformation.

>I'm trying to rescue a yearling filly...

Humane treatment is a matter of statute in most places, but every
horse lives or dies at its owner's pleasure. Assuming compliance with
applicable laws, the only way you and yours can "rescue" another's
chattel is to buy that property.

Tom Stovall CJF
Farrier & Blacksmith
sto...@wt.net
http://www.katyforge.com

Mina Sharpe, T-AARF

ungelesen,
08.08.2000, 03:00:0008.08.00
an

> >I'm trying to rescue a yearling filly...
>
> Humane treatment is a matter of statute in most places, but every
> horse lives or dies at its owner's pleasure. Assuming compliance with
> applicable laws, the only way you and yours can "rescue" another's
> chattel is to buy that property.

Yes, your right. I am attempting to BUY a filly off a
slaughter bound feedlot. I am not getting this horse for
myself, but wanted to know something about her problem even
so.

Mina

0 neue Nachrichten