celebrity horse fanciers

Arthur Dennis Foreman

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
to jum...@aol.com
Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.

BJ

Dale & Lora Marshall

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96

Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are
more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.

Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
William Shatner -- Saddlebreds
Patrick Duffey -- Saddlebreds
Bo Derick -- Andalusians (sp?)
Zsa Zsa Gabor -- Plantation Walkers (I think)
Randy Travis -- Quarter Horses
Tanya Tucker -- Quarter Horses (she is into cutting)
Kenney Rogers -- Quarter Horses or Arabians (I can't remember which!)
Tommie Smothers -- Rides Hunters (I think I got the right brother.)

Thats all for now, if I think of more, I'll post!

Lora
and
Dreamer

| Dale and Lora Marshall | "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here |
| mars...@texas.net | as fast as I could!" |
| | - Bumper Sticker |
| http://www.texas.net/~marshal1 |

Dale & Lora Marshall

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
Arthur Dennis Foreman wrote:

> Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
> story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>
> BJHow could I forget!

George Strait -- Quarter Horses
Reba McEntire -- Quarter Horses
(barrel racing before she became fameous)

Lora
and
Dream

Sda...@vvm.com

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Dale & Lora Marshall <mars...@texas.net> wrote:

>Arthur Dennis Foreman wrote:
>>
>> Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>> story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>>

>> BJ

>Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are
>more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.

>Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
>William Shatner -- Saddlebreds
>Patrick Duffey -- Saddlebreds
>Bo Derick -- Andalusians (sp?)
>Zsa Zsa Gabor -- Plantation Walkers (I think)
>Randy Travis -- Quarter Horses
>Tanya Tucker -- Quarter Horses (she is into cutting)
>Kenney Rogers -- Quarter Horses or Arabians (I can't remember which!)
>Tommie Smothers -- Rides Hunters (I think I got the right brother.)

>Thats all for now, if I think of more, I'll post!

Christie Brinkley - Quarter Horses (she cuts)
Reba McEntyre - Quarter Horses
Mel Blount _ Quarter Horses
Terry Bradshaw - Quarter Horses
Peter Brown - Quarter Horses (team penning)
Tommy Lee Jones - Quarter Horses (polo)
Wayne Newton - Arabians
Ben Johnson - Quarter Horses
Zsa Zsa Gabor - I think she has a Lippizan (dressage)
Lynn Anderson - Quarter Horses
I've seen pictures of Patrick Swayze cutting on a QH, but don't know
if it was his.

Susan Dangar
Standan Quarter Horses
Lampasas, TX

Jason Todd Howland

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Patric Swayze - Egyptian Arabians (I actually met him in Kentucky,
helluva nice guy)
Charlie Watts(drummer for The Rolling Stones)-Arabians (he bought an
Arabian stallion from Australia for $800,000 U.S.!)
Michael Martin Murphy-Quarter Horses

I thought I heard Arnold Schwartzenegger (sp?), was into Andalusians
(sp?).

Jason T. Howland (jhow...@awinc.com)
ShyLoh Ranches Ltd. (CABREAH)
Kelowna, B.C.

jaz

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
REO (the rock group) has Fresians, now there is something you would
NEVER expect. They have a farm they "visit" on the edge of the Cape.

Then Mary Tyler Moore has palominos, she was talking about them on
Letterman last week, and she keeps them at home in Connecticut.

Christy Brinkely (Joel?) has cutting horses, and rode them at the
National a few years ago as a demonstration sport.

Former quarterback of the Steelers, Terry Bradshaw raises QHs.

Just a few I have spotted.
jaz

Ps. Reba MacIntire (very bad spelling!) was a rodeo queen and a barrel
racer as a youngin', probably still gets on a horse or two once in a
while too.

Lucy Goodenday

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
Ernie Irvin (of stock car racing fame) rides Paso
Fino horses and owns a breeding farm. He
was at the Paso Fino Nationals in Georgia
in September and there was a line a mile long
of people waiting for his autograph and to
see him ride.

Jack Youngblood (the former football player)
once owned the Grand National Pleasure Champion Paso
Fino, but I think he is out of the breed now. (The
horse was National Champion Pleasure Stallion
"Gaviota del Cardo", now at stud at Greener
Pastures Ranch near Tallahassee; owner is Robin
Ratliff.)

Lucy Goodenday Rancho BuenosDias Paso Fino Horses

"A fine little smooth horse colt should move a man as much as doth a son." -- Thomas Kyd (1558-1594)

Ann Waller

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>, Arthur Dennis Foreman
<for...@fuse.net> wrote:

> Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
> story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>
> BJ

Joan Lunden (of Good Morning America) rides hunters, I think. And I heard
Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke on "The Bold and the Beautiful") rides in
some endurance races.

Ann

BrendaUSDF

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
Joan Lunden-Hunter/Jumpers, TBs?
Tommy Shaw, lead singer for Styx-Hunter/Jumpers, TBs
Jane Seymour-TBs
George Michael, ABC Sports-Paints
John Denver-Appaloosas

Correct me if I'm wrong, not sure about breeds of some of these
Brenda

Jane Kilberg

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96

Roy Clark is big on Appaloosas and racing
Jill Eikenberry (sp?) loves her Appaloosa

Y'all jist gotta know I'd get some spots in here. <G>

down the sunny trails . . .
jane kilberg and her gang of spotted 4 legged critters at the
rocking double j ranch in the great nation of Tejas
member of ApHC, Sundance '500' International (Appaloosa appreciation
society)
Montgomery County Adult Horse Committee

Jack N Cadaret

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
to jhow...@awinc.com
> Jason,

Thought you would be interested to know, Charlie Watts, of Halsdon
Arabians, Devonshire England also owns the dam to my stallion. Gai Biesha
is owned by Charlie. Biesha is by Bey Shah out of a full sister to Gai
Parada, 1977 National Champion Stallion. Gai Biesha was 1991 Scottsdale
champion mare prior to being sold to Halsdon Arabians. She was bred and
owned by Gainey Arabians. Gainey's bred her twice the last cross being to
Gai Parada. Out of that cross came my stallion Gai Dynasty 1991 Bay, and
he is the last born son of Gai Parada.
Jack Cadaret
cad...@primenet.com

Bruce & Bonnie Jackson

Apr 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/6/96
Lauren Holly -- Arabian
James Brolin (Marcus Welby) -- Appaloosas
James Drury (The Virginiam) -- QH Cutting

Donna Thompson

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
Linda Blair Hunter/Jumpers
Lee Greenwood did have Arabians at one time
Darrell Waldrip had Arabians at one time
Tayna Tucker QHs and Arabs
George Foreman (the champ) Pinto Half Arabian

donna and the hair balls called horses

Brenda L.

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
Michael Keaton - Cutting Horses

Billy Crystal - His horse from City Slickers

pro...@msue.msu.edu

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>,
Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:
>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>
>BJ

Sharon Stone purchased the QH she rode in The Quick and the Dead. (I
will refrain from making underwear comments)

Barry Corbin (Maurice on Northern Exposure) has QHs and wore a cast
on the show for a while after he fell and broke his ankle while
cutting.

Wayne Newton used to raise Arabians. Don't know if he still does.

At Congress a couple of years ago we saw a horse owned by golfer
Fuzzy Zoeller.

Loretta Lynn has QHs at her farm.

Lise M Russell

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
Stewart Copeland - Polo

Donna Thompson

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
Jackie Kennedy Onassis Hunters
Liz Taylor - was given the Pie from the movie National Velvet
years ago

donna

Sue Wong

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article 8...@cocoa.brown.edu, jaz <Jaz...@aol.com> () writes:
Christy Brinkely (Joel?) has cutting horses, and rode them at the
National a few years ago as a demonstration sport.

Former quarterback of the Steelers, Terry Bradshaw raises QHs.

Patrick Swayze (?) was at the Arab Pro-Am in Ft. Worth this
weekend. His stallion was Champion Aged Halter Stallion.

I think it's Brook Shields who has Hispano-Arabs.

Sue and the Buckskins
Southlake, Tx
sw...@samson.Tx.hac.com

Bridget Kinder

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
> Loretta Lynn has QHs at her farm....Bridget here...Wayne Newton owns/shows Arabians....he owns Wayne
Newton's Aramus Arabians... I believe Candice Bergan (sp?) owns an
Arabian mare by the name of Caridnia or Carinosa...I know she is related
to the *Bask++ son, Safire, who stands here in WI. I also believe that
Mary Tyler Moore has QH/Palaminos...she was on the David Letterman show
or something like that and showed a picture of her new Palamino
foal....Can't forget that Christopher Reeves has jumpers :) Oh. The owner
of the Bey Shah son, Kouvey Bey is a top producer in the music world...I
can't remember his name but I could find out if you need me to....GOOD
LUCK!!

Callie Brewer

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
The girl who played the pilot on Norther exposure (can't recall her name) Has
a horse named maggie (the name of the character she played)

Marcy Jackson

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Sda...@vvm.com wrote:
>Dale & Lora Marshall <mars...@texas.net> wrote:
>>Arthur Dennis Foreman wrote:
>>>
>>> Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>>> story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>>>
>>> BJ

>>Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are

>>more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.

>>Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
>>William Shatner -- Saddlebreds

I've also seen William Shatner's name in QH ads but I don't know if it
is the same person.

>Lynn Anderson - Quarter Horses

She shows a lot in Western Pleasure and other events in AQHA under
Amateur status.

>I've seen pictures of Patrick Swayze cutting on a QH, but don't know
>if it was his.
>Susan Dangar

Hmmm, one of those Arabians that cut and look like a QH perhaps? <g>

Melissa Gilbert is crazy about horses.

Brooke Shields rides English.

Robert Wagner bought a paint cutting mare from a friend of mine for
one of his daughters who is now an actress. Sorry, I forgot his
daughter's name.

Don't forget about Christopher Reeve. I thought he was terrific at
the Oscars, BTW.

I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.

Former Dallas judge turned TV commentator, Catherine Crier of ABC
rides QH cutting horses.

Bill Gate's horse can be seen by anyone with Windows 95.

My mother says she first heard of Ross Perot many years ago through
the nationally-ranked show horses that he owned. I think he had
gaited horses...Saddlebred, National Show Horses? something like
that.

I don't know about everywhere, but it seems that in Texas just about
everyone with an ungodly amount of money either owns, shows or races
horses. This was especially true prior to changes in the federal tax
laws during the 80's.
Marcy
---
Marcy Jackson
mjj...@why.net
Dallas, Texas USA

Janeen S. DeBoard

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Patrick Swayze - Arabians
William Shatner - American Saddlebreds (but you already knew that)

Diane J Nakashian

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
I've heard that Glen Close does dressage - I <think> (big question mark)
she rides with Hilda Gurney.

Diane
dia...@world.std.com

Cyndi Farson

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
George Foreman, the boxer, recently bought a half Arabian pinto mare named
Ferrari's Picasso. Not sure if he or one ofhis family is going toshow her, or
have a pro show her. The horse is a veteran show horse, winning in dressage
with Judy Campbell back in the early 90s; has also shown successfully in
western pleasure and country pleasure. I believe lately she has been shown
strictly western.

William Devane, the actor, is a rated Arabian judge so I also assume he has
arabians. It was very hard to concentrate on my performance at the show where I
showed under him! (When I saw his name in the premium book, it never occured to
me it was the SAME William Devane the actor.)

Billy Crystal has a QH; I believe it is the horse he rode in the film City
Slickers. He ended up buying it.

Bo Derek has Andalusians, I believe.

Cyndi....@chron.com
Donerail Farm
Alvin, TX

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4kb65d$n...@msunews.cl.msu.edu>, pro...@msue.msu.edu wrote:
>In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>,
> Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:
>>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>>
>>BJ
>>
>Sharon Stone purchased the QH she rode in The Quick and the Dead. (I
>will refrain from making underwear comments)
>
>Barry Corbin (Maurice on Northern Exposure) has QHs and wore a cast
>on the show for a while after he fell and broke his ankle while
>cutting.
>
>Wayne Newton used to raise Arabians. Don't know if he still does.
>
>At Congress a couple of years ago we saw a horse owned by golfer
>Fuzzy Zoeller.
>
>Loretta Lynn has QHs at her farm.

Isn't M.C. Hammer still doing Throughbreds? Thought he had a colt in the
Kentucky Derby a few years ago...

jrw

mara...@hopper.unh.edu

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

> RE: CELEBRITY HORSE FANCIERS
>
> From: mjj...@why.net (Marcy Jackson)
> Reply to: Marcy Jackson
> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 1996 07:18:59 GMT
> Newsgroups:
> rec.equestrian
> Reply to: newsgroup(s)

>Sda...@vvm.com wrote:
>>Dale & Lora Marshall <mars...@texas.net> wrote:

>>>Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are
>>>more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.
>
>>>Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
>>>William Shatner -- Saddlebreds
>I've also seen William Shatner's name in QH ads but I don't know if it
>is the same person.
>
>>Lynn Anderson - Quarter Horses
>She shows a lot in Western Pleasure and other events in AQHA under
>Amateur status.
>
>>I've seen pictures of Patrick Swayze cutting on a QH, but don't know
>>if it was his.
>>Susan Dangar
>Hmmm, one of those Arabians that cut and look like a QH perhaps? <g>
>
>Melissa Gilbert is crazy about horses.
>
>Brooke Shields rides English.
>
>Robert Wagner bought a paint cutting mare from a friend of mine for
>one of his daughters who is now an actress. Sorry, I forgot his
>daughter's name.
>
>Don't forget about Christopher Reeve. I thought he was terrific at
>the Oscars, BTW.
>
>I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
>MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.

You are not stretching. He had a horse in at least one the the Triple
Crown races. His name was Dance Floor

>Former Dallas judge turned TV commentator, Catherine Crier of ABC
>rides QH cutting horses.
>
>Bill Gate's horse can be seen by anyone with Windows 95.
>
>My mother says she first heard of Ross Perot many years ago through
>the nationally-ranked show horses that he owned. I think he had
>gaited horses...Saddlebred, National Show Horses? something like
>that.

Calvin Kline(jeans guy) has horses...know that because he broke something
around the same time my sister did which made her feel better.

We can forget the royal family...what would they be without their horses

Donna Thompson

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Doc Severson Racing QHs
Michele Pfeifer Arabians
Mike Nichols (director or producer of The Graduat, Mrs.
Doubtfire and The Birdcage) has had Arabians for years.

KellyOC

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Tommy Lee Jones raises horses for Western events and I think polo.
Western Horseman did an article on him 2 or 3 years back.

Kelly O'Connor
Kel...@aol.com

madeline

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

Joan Lunden is involved somehow
Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward have a daughter
Linda "the exorcist" Blair
these 3 are all in Hunter/jumpers
Julie Krone also does jumpers. She's a celebrity in my book

Lee Hough

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
to lee....@prograph-inc.com
Dale & Lora Marshall wrote:

> Arthur Dennis Foreman wrote:
> >
> > Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
> > story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
> >
> > BJ
>
> Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are
> more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.
>
> Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
> William Shatner -- Saddlebreds
> Patrick Duffey -- Saddlebreds
> Bo Derick -- Andalusians (sp?)
> Zsa Zsa Gabor -- Plantation Walkers (I think)
> Randy Travis -- Quarter Horses
> Tanya Tucker -- Quarter Horses (she is into cutting)
> Kenney Rogers -- Quarter Horses or Arabians (I can't remember which!) Raised Arabs - either Spainish or Russian bloodlines

> Tommie Smothers -- Rides Hunters (I think I got the right brother.)
>
> Thats all for now, if I think of more, I'll post!
>
> Lora
> and
> Dreamer
>
> --
> | Dale and Lora Marshall | "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here |
> | mars...@texas.net | as fast as I could!" |
> | | - Bumper Sticker |
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------|
> | http://www.texas.net/~marshal1 |

Lucy Goodenday

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4kd3ih$n...@what.why.net>, mjj...@why.net (Marcy Jackson) wrote:

> Sda...@vvm.com wrote:

> >Dale & Lora Marshall <mars...@texas.net> wrote:

> >>Here are a few I know of and the breed they are known for, there are
> >>more than likely a whole lot more. Please forgive any spelling errors.
>
> >>Patrick Swayzie -- Arabians
> >>William Shatner -- Saddlebreds

> I've also seen William Shatner's name in QH ads but I don't know if it
> is the same person.
>
> >Lynn Anderson - Quarter Horses
> She shows a lot in Western Pleasure and other events in AQHA under
> Amateur status.
>
> >I've seen pictures of Patrick Swayze cutting on a QH, but don't know
> >if it was his.
> >Susan Dangar
> Hmmm, one of those Arabians that cut and look like a QH perhaps? <g>
>
> Melissa Gilbert is crazy about horses.
>
> Brooke Shields rides English.
>
> Robert Wagner bought a paint cutting mare from a friend of mine for
> one of his daughters who is now an actress. Sorry, I forgot his
> daughter's name.
>
> Don't forget about Christopher Reeve. I thought he was terrific at
> the Oscars, BTW.
>
> I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
> MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.
>

> Former Dallas judge turned TV commentator, Catherine Crier of ABC
> rides QH cutting horses.
>
> Bill Gate's horse can be seen by anyone with Windows 95.
>
> My mother says she first heard of Ross Perot many years ago through
> the nationally-ranked show horses that he owned. I think he had
> gaited horses...Saddlebred, National Show Horses? something like
> that.
>

> I don't know about everywhere, but it seems that in Texas just about
> everyone with an ungodly amount of money either owns, shows or races
> horses. This was especially true prior to changes in the federal tax
> laws during the 80's.
> Marcy
> ---
> Marcy Jackson
> mjj...@why.net
> Dallas, Texas USA

Ernie Irvan (stock car racing)-- raises Paso Finos
Jack Youngblood (football)-- had a Grand National Champion Paso Fino stallion

Chris Watanabe

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>, for...@fuse.net says...

>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>
>BJ

Doesn't Bert Reynolds raise Quarter Horses?

Chris & EZ
cri...@lava.net
Wahiawa and Haleiwa, Hawaii

Jane Kilberg

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4kd3ih$n...@what.why.net> Marcy Jackson, mjj...@why.net
writes:

>I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
>MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.

You aren't stretching...He ran him at the Derby a couple years ago.

down the sunny trails . . .
jane kilberg and her gang of spotted 4 legged critters at the
rocking double j ranch in the great nation of Tejas

member of ApHC, Sundance '500' Int'l (Appaloosa appreciation society)

ir...@msg.ti.com

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:
>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>
>BJ

Some that have racehorses: George Strait, Reba McIntyre, Bert
Bacharach, Jenny Craig.

KAT&RED.

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
don't forget about
Bo Derek and her Andalusians!
:-)
she has ridden in the past in the
Washington Int'l HS (I'm very sure)

user...@jax.jaxnet.com

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

snip

> Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward have a daughter

I think that Paul Newman bought what was then The Hill and
is now Old Salem Farm in upstate NY as an East Coast base
for his daughter back in the late 70's (guessing on the date).
They did a wonderful renovation of the facility.

The Busch's also had/may still have horse's showing on
the A circuit.

Sandy
and
Lexus

CMontague

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Not one, but two of the actors from the old tv show The Monkees are
serious horse fanciers:

Davy Jones, the short (5'3") one apprenticed as a jockey before he
succumbed to the show biz bug as a teenager - and finally won his first
race just a couple of weeks ago. I believe he raises TBs on his farm in
Beavertown, PA.

Micky Dolenz has also ridden since childhood, jumped Irish Hunters, and
has recently talked about eventing.

Then of course there's Jerry Hall, model and Wife to Mick Jagger, who's a
riding fool.

-Claudia (I never outgrow my childhood enthusiasms; I just keep adding to
the list)

LOU: You've got spunk.
MARY (embarrassed, pleased) Well, I, yeah--
LOU: I hate spunk.

MBugdal

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Jack Klugman ("Quincy.") - TB. One ran in either the
Kentucky Derby or The Oaks a couple of years ago.
Named "Jackie" something.

Anouk Behara

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Janine Turner (played the bush pilot Maggie in Northern Exposure)

She has a horse (and a trailer). Don't know what kind, I just saw her on
some show talking about her new horse and trailer with a great big
smile on her face.

In article <cmb164.114...@psu.edu>,

Callie Brewer <cmb...@psu.edu> wrote:
>The girl who played the pilot on Norther exposure (can't recall her name) Has
>a horse named maggie (the name of the character she played)

--
\\ |\` Anouk Behara //
\\ _( __ )\ McMaster University //
\\ \ \ _|\ \ Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA //
\\ \ \ g871...@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca //

umh

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

Still is the operative word. If you ever watch the big ESPN broadcasts
of showjumping the commentator is often Lisa Burke (aka Lisa *Busch*
Burke). She shows hunters/jumpers of her own.

I didn't see mention of Robert Duval. He rides Hunter/Jumper.

Jane Kilberg

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kf5ao$h...@mochi.lava.net> Chris Watanabe, cri...@lava.net
writes:

>Doesn't Bert Reynolds raise Quarter Horses?

Paints, too and he for years, owned Appaloosas including Stud Spider

Bridget Kinder

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

....Bridget here....Yupper...Mike Nichols still owns Arabians...he used
to be and is still in partnership with the top Arabian trainer and
breeder...Don DeLongpre.

Dave Mccoy

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
j...@aracnet.com (Joyce Reynolds-Ward) wrote:

>Isn't M.C. Hammer still doing Throughbreds? Thought he had a colt in the
>Kentucky Derby a few years ago...

Believe the colt's name was Dance Floor.

Jane Kilberg

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96

The McCartneys of Great Britain, breed, raise, ride and show Appaloosas

That's Paul & Linda...ya know...the old defunct Beatles what were popular
(I think) at one time <G>

James McCameron

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article h...@mochi.lava.net, cri...@lava.net (Chris Watanabe) writes:
>In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>, for...@fuse.net says...
>>
>>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
>>
>>BJ

>Doesn't Bert Reynolds raise Quarter Horses?

Have no idea, but Patrick Swayze has ragheads. (That's Ay-rab for the PC)
Barry Corbin and Jay Novacek compete on Quintessential Horses. (QH's)
As does that tall, leggy blonde, who's name escapes me.
Basically, if we had their money, we'd be out there having as much
fun as they do too.

---
James McCameron Lewisville, Tx.
james.m...@dseg.ti.com
"Chlanna nan thigibh a so's gheib sibh feail"

Carole Kever

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
Stephanie Powers also has horses. Not sure what breed, but she has a
video on beginning riding.

Carole

MBowling

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
One of the big hocky stars妓ayne Gretzky?仇as featured last year as co-
owner of a runner in one of the big TB races桔ust something I noticed
on TV, don't have any real knowledge of it.

MBowling

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
I forgot William Devane誼ut he does breed Arabians, has had them for
years and owned a daughter of my foundation mare (bred before I had
her).

MBowling

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Ian Tyson, the singer, was president of the Canadian Cutting Horse
Association砧ay still be.

Little Lady

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96

Kenny Rogers used to have a huge place in GA...Quarters

Broodmare2

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Reba McIntire raises AQHA's & TB's at her farm in Gallatin, TN.

Melinda Stone
Stone Quarter Horses

Deborah R. Fuller

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Arthur Dennis Foreman (for...@fuse.net) wrote:
> Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
> story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.

Does anyone see a trend with lots of the celebs owning arabs and/or
western type horses? What is the draw? (NOt that I'm against either
arabs or Western, I just find it unusual that they all seem to do the
same thing.)

You can't forget all the English royals. Princess Anne even was on the
Olympic show jumping team.

Bob Ryan, weatherman on Wash, DCs channel 4 news owns Paints.

Winnona Judd has some horses as well as buffalo and some other various
and sundry critters. :)

Deb

DTautz

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Wayne Newton raises Arabs and Patrick Swayzie (?) and his wife ride.

Bruce & Bonnie Jackson

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
"Maggie" on Norther Exposure has an albino, for the record.

Bruce & Bonnie Jackson

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Buddy Ebsen (Barnaby Jones) had a QH cutting stallion named "Barnaby
Chex."

S Gordon

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
Heath Shuler (Redskins Quarterback) is a big horse person...

Donna Thompson

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
dta...@aol.com (DTautz) wrote:
>Wayne Newton raises Arabs and Patrick Swayzie (?) and his wife ride.

Partrick as Arabians his stallions name is Tammen. I think he
has more Arabians too.

Donna Thompson and Bajha Bey V (Huckleberry Bey x Baychaska)

Julie Wilson

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
In article <4kj9ek$8...@butch.lmsc.lockheed.com>, Carole Kever <ckever@ds
1.is.lmsc.lockheed.com> writes

>Stephanie Powers also has horses. Not sure what breed, but she has a
>video on beginning riding.
>
>Carole

Linda McCartney (Paul McCartney) breeds Appys, in the UK they did a half
hour programme about her and her horses, it was great, I keep
watching it on video
--
Julie Wilson

Fox Holler

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
Joan Lunden (ABC morning program) rides Hunter/Jumper... don't know the
breed.

JJay Aka FoxH...@aol.com

Lee Hough

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
to lee....@prograph-inc.com
Burt Reynolds raised Appys in the 70's. Farm was in Jupiter Fl. His
stallion was a classic black with white blanket - either Najavo Breeze or
a son of Navajo Breeze - can't remeember the name, remember the horse's
photo. ALso, I BELIEVE Jim Brolin got his bloodstock from BR, and Bryer
made a model of his horse Stud Spider

[Excuse me if double posted answers - I think my computer is eating
outgoing mail instead of sending it]

Lee Hough, and
Sheer Fantasy, aka Special; Heir of Dreams, aka Airy; and Arcanum's
Vanity, aka Flash

Lee Hough

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
to lee....@prograph-inc.com

Lee Hough

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
to lee....@prograph-inc.com
Chris Watanabe wrote:

> In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>, for...@fuse.net says...
> >
> >Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
> >story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
> >
> >BJ
> >
> Doesn't Bert Reynolds raise Quarter Horses?
>
> Chris & EZ
> cri...@lava.net
> Wahiawa and Haleiwa, Hawaii

Burt Reynolds used to have a big Appaloosa farm in Jupiter Florida. Had
racing apps, Navajo Breeze or a son of his, big TB type classic black and
white blanket and spots. Jim Brolin got his blood stock from BR from
what I can remember, and they did a Bryer horse of his stallion.

Lee Hough, and Sheer Fantasy, aka Special; Heir of Dreams, aka Airy; and

Arcanums Vanity, aka Flash

Lee Hough

Dominique Gregory

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:

>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.

>BJ

The Wrigley (chewing gum family) have a arabian show strings.
Also I remember an interview of Robert Redford where he was
sanding by a corral with some of his horses... they looked
suspiciously like arabians to me.. but they did not say the breed
of his horses... maybe they were dishfaced QHs.

Dominique G. in Lewisville, Tx

Trisha Brown

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
pro...@msue.msu.edu wrote:
: In article <4jq0lo$e...@yamato.fuse.net>,
: Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:
: >Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
: >story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.
: >
: >BJ
: >
Dan Issel (formerly of the Denver Nuggets) raises Thoroughbreds (that's
his nickname too).
Bruce Springsteen bought some about 3 years ago, a variety of horses
selected for him by Julie Krone (a friend of mine used to work at the
farm across the street from his new farm in NJ. She said that Bruce said
he can't ride worth a ____ but he has fun:-)
Mary Alice Malone (who owns parts of several companies, including Godiva
Chocolates and Campbell Soup) has oodles of warmbloods & rides Grand Prix
Dressage.
I don't know if John Denver still owns horses, but he used to. When I
worked for Michael Poulin, I used to ride Left Hand Man, an appy stallion
John used to own, and he's on one of John's album covers.

Mary McHugh

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
How about Fred Imus? Is he considered a celebrity (brother of the original
shock-jock NY's Don Imus who most recently was in trouble over a speech he
gave at the Washington correspondant's dinner). Fred just bought 2 Paint
horses.

The Von Trapps of "Sound of Music" fame have horses -- drafts I think.

Mary McHugh

Lee Hough

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
to lee....@prograph-inc.com
Just thought of another one - since we're including hockey players...
Pittsburgh Penguins captain - the great Mario Lemieux has a grey
Trakhener (I think, could be Hanoverian) I saw him in a video when I was
looking at stallions. The horse was by a local stallion, Pik Immer. The
colt could've been registered Oldenburg or somthing else - the breeder
seems to have a few different breeds of mares and cross registers.

Also, I believe I read Steven Segal has horses and a ranch in Montana.

Lee Hough, and
Sheer Fantasy, aka Special; Heir of Dreams, aka Airy; and Arcanums
Vanity, aka Flash

Jane Kilberg

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
In article <4kgh9v$q...@mksrv1.dseg.ti.com> James McCameron,

a84...@futurity.lvdc writes:
>Barry Corbin and Jay Novacek compete on Quintessential Horses.

That's Quasimodo Horses, James.... <G>

Jane Kilberg

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
In article <4klnet$4...@doc.jmu.edu> Deborah R. Fuller,

full...@falcon.jmu.edu writes:
>Does anyone see a trend with lots of the celebs owning arabs and/or
>western type horses? What is the draw?

Celebrity Cutting....been a big trend to attact crowds and also fund
(fun) raisers.

Marcy Jackson

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Arthur Dennis Foreman <for...@fuse.net> wrote:

>Please tell me which celebrities own and/or ride horses! For a
>story in an upcoming national magazine. Thanks.

>BJ

Actress Sissy Spacek has cutting QHs.

Marcy Jackson

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
full...@falcon.jmu.edu (Deborah R. Fuller) wrote:

>Does anyone see a trend with lots of the celebs owning arabs and/or
>western type horses?

...you could say more specifically, pretty (arab) halter horses and
(western) cutting horses.

>What is the draw? (Not that I'm against either

>arabs or Western, I just find it unusual that they all seem to do the
>same thing.)

>Deb

I don't think its coincidence. If you have money, you can buy top
trainers and the best horses but you can't really buy horsemanship
skills. Halter and cutting are events where most of the work is done
outside of the arena. IMO the exhibitor in these events are important
but not to the extent of other events such as dressage, jumping, and
reining. If you have more money than experience and want to be big in
horses quickly, halter and cutting are a good place to be competing.

Sda...@vvm.com

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com> wrote:

>Celebrity Cutting....been a big trend to attact crowds and also fund
>(fun) raisers.

Pssssssst, Teka

Hmmmmmmm, celebrity cutting. Sounds like a Bogbash event. I hear
them celebreties can be pretty quick.

Rico
Standan Quarter Horses
Lampasas, TX

Deborah Stevenson

Apr 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/19/96
In <4l7rp0$f...@newshost.vvm.com> Sda...@vvm.com writes:

>Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com> wrote:

>>Celebrity Cutting....been a big trend to attact crowds and also fund
>>(fun) raisers.

>Hmmmmmmm, celebrity cutting. Sounds like a Bogbash event. I hear

>them celebreties can be pretty quick.

Actually, I've wondered about this. I always loved the descriptions of
the Mitford "child hunts," where a child substituted for the fox. Could
you "cut" an irritating younger sibling without damaging it enough to get
in trouble with Mom? Would any aspect of the training transfer to
working cattle, or would Sis run too differently? I know the herding folks
in dogdom have been known to practice on the odd duck; can horse people
have the same option of flexibility?

BTW, note I am *not* suggesting practicing calf-roping. I have some
scruples--although I don't have a younger sister, and you can decide for
yourselves whether that was always true...

Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
Acquainted with a few bovine children in Champaign, IL, USA

Sda...@vvm.com

Apr 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/20/96
stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Deborah Stevenson) wrote:

>Actually, I've wondered about this. I always loved the descriptions of
>the Mitford "child hunts," where a child substituted for the fox. Could
>you "cut" an irritating younger sibling without damaging it enough to get
>in trouble with Mom? Would any aspect of the training transfer to
>working cattle, or would Sis run too differently? I know the herding folks
>in dogdom have been known to practice on the odd duck; can horse people
>have the same option of flexibility?

Of course, it can be done without damaging them. Provided they don't
have hock and stifle problems to begin with, why do you think they
call them "horse people". ;-)

>BTW, note I am *not* suggesting practicing calf-roping. I have some
>scruples--although I don't have a younger sister, and you can decide for
>yourselves whether that was always true...

LOL!!! Younger brothers are excellent bovine substitutes as well.

Susan Dangar

Jane Kilberg

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In article <4l7rp0$f...@newshost.vvm.com> , Sda...@vvm.com writes:
>Pssssssst, Teka

>Hmmmmmmm, celebrity cutting. Sounds like a Bogbash event. I hear
>them celebreties can be pretty quick.

Golly gee Rico...I just had a kid. No way I'd cut this or cut that. Too
much work for me. I'd rather chase 'em.

down the sunny trails . . .

Teka, head honcho, proud mama of a bouncing baby boy with spots

Jane Kilberg

Apr 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/23/96
In article <4la0lr$1...@newshost.vvm.com> , Sda...@vvm.com writes:
>LOL!!! Younger brothers are excellent bovine substitutes as well.

Ya wanna borrow my bro....?

down the sunny trails . . .

jane kilberg and her gang of spotted 4 legged critters at the

rocking double j ranch in the great nation of Tejas

M. Brumbaugh

Apr 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/24/96
Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com> wrote:

>In article <4kgh9v$q...@mksrv1.dseg.ti.com> James McCameron,
>a84...@futurity.lvdc writes:
>>Barry Corbin and Jay Novacek compete on Quintessential Horses.
>
>That's Quasimodo Horses, James.... <G>

Actually Jane

James was quoting my final (?) follow up to the QH thread....

According to my QH - it's quintessential horse......

(He was really rather forcefully about this..... Stood over me while
I typed and everything. If my fingers strayed, I got a warning nudge
in the shoulder........)

Kiss French. Drink California.

~ Jerry Mead

Shelly Taranoff

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
In article <4l84dr$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Deborah Stevenson) wrote:
>In <4l7rp0$f...@newshost.vvm.com> Sda...@vvm.com writes:
>
>>Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com> wrote:
>
>>>Celebrity Cutting....been a big trend to attact crowds and also fund
>>>(fun) raisers.
>
>>Hmmmmmmm, celebrity cutting. Sounds like a Bogbash event. I hear
>>them celebreties can be pretty quick.
>
>Actually, I've wondered about this. I always loved the descriptions of
>the Mitford "child hunts," where a child substituted for the fox. Could
>you "cut" an irritating younger sibling without damaging it enough to get
>in trouble with Mom? Would any aspect of the training transfer to
>working cattle, or would Sis run too differently? I know the herding folks
>in dogdom have been known to practice on the odd duck; can horse people
>have the same option of flexibility?
>
>BTW, note I am *not* suggesting practicing calf-roping. I have some
>scruples--although I don't have a younger sister, and you can decide for
>yourselves whether that was always true...
>
>Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
>Acquainted with a few bovine children in Champaign, IL, USA

I Like This!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perfect use for children....

CB Leek

Apr 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/26/96

star...@aracnet.com (Shelly Taranoff) wrote:

>In article <4l84dr$b...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
> stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Deborah Stevenson) wrote:
>>Actually, I've wondered about this. I always loved the descriptions of
>>the Mitford "child hunts," where a child substituted for the fox. Could
>>you "cut" an irritating younger sibling without damaging it enough to get
>>in trouble with Mom?

>>Deborah Stevenson (stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)
>>Acquainted with a few bovine children in Champaign, IL, USA
>I Like This!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a perfect use for children....

At Troika's stable, it's actually a summer camp. Maybe Troika and I
have found a new activity for next summer (when I'm home and
retired!!). <VEG> There's a whole summer's supply. Why, we could
even think of having next summer's Bogbash there. (heheheh, Poor
Jennifer. She wouldn't know what's hitting her. <BEG>)

Corinne, evil-minded and loving it.
Troika, who likes to have fun, so long as carrots are involved...
--
*** Conserve Energy: Laughter is easier than Anger!
*** cl...@terra.nlnet.nf.ca, Goose Bay, Labrador

PACDAVIS

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

of two who were active several years ago. I not sure if they are still
involved. Wayne Newton - Arabian Horses and Patrick Swayze (sp?) - Arabian
Horses. They both have been involved in showing at the International
Arabian Horse Association National Show.

Ellen Beard

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

William Shatner is an award winning breeder of american saddlebred horses.
He was just recognized for his effforts a month ago at the American
Saddlebred Horse Association convention. Patric Duffy also participates
in the breed activities.

CarolP3186

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

USA Weekend listed an address for Christopher Reeve
P.O. Box 277 FDR Station
New York, NY 10150

Wish he had an e-mail address.
Carol in Spotsylvania, VA

Lisa Robertson

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Ellen Beard (JRL...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: William Shatner is an award winning breeder of american saddlebred horses.

: He was just recognized for his effforts a month ago at the American
: Saddlebred Horse Association convention. Patric Duffy also participates
: in the breed activities.

Doesn't William Shatner also have arabians? I could have sworn i've
seen him on some.
Kenny Rogers used to have and show arabians. I don't know if he still has
any, but i don't think he shows them any more. (i could be wrong, of course)

Jackson

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Oh, blah, blah, blah William Shatner. You know what would be real news?
Oh, that Jay Leno raised miniatures, or that Cindi Lauper drove
Friesians, or that Madonna showed Connemaras, or that Spike Lee rescued
BLM mustangs, or that...

CarolP3186

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <319959...@primenet.com>, Jackson <oas...@primenet.com>
writes:

> Madonna showed Connemaras

As a part Connemara owner and breeder NO THANKS
On second thought it would give some of the old biddies heart failure!
Carol in Spotsylvania, VA

KMann17143

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4keern$j...@mozz.unh.edu>, mara...@hopper.unh.edu. writes:

>Calvin Kline(jeans guy) has horses...know that because he broke something

>around the same time my sister did which made her feel better.

He has Arabians. Saw him and a couple of his horses while on a tour of a
Arab stable in Scottsdale, AZ several years back.

Karen Mann
EMT-Paramedic and all around horse nut.

**EMS means Earn Money Sleeping!!**

KMann17143

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4kelvk$s...@tattoo.sccsi.com>, Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com>
writes:

>>I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
>>MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.
>
>You aren't stretching...He ran him at the Derby a couple years ago.

Wasn't that the horse that was named after Mel Brooks that broke down and
had to be destroyed??

Karen Mann
EMT-Paramedic and all around horse nut!!

**You might be a Paramedic if... You walk down the street looking at
peoples arms and muttering 'nice veins' to yourself.**

Lisa Cook

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4keern$j...@mozz.unh.edu>, maramsey@
hopper.unh.edu. writes:

>Calvin Kline(jeans guy) has horses...know that because
> he broke something around the same time my sister did
> which made her feel better.

Calvin's wife, Kelly, shows some really nice hunters - she
has won at big shows like the Hampton Classic. And speaking
of the Hampton Classic, Calvin Klein has sponsored a
jumping class there for the past few years.

Lisa Cook

Kathleen M. Corcoran

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Re: MC Hammer's Horse
His colt was named Dance Floor, and finished third in the
1992 Kentucky Derby, and also placed in the Preakness, I think.
He was trained by D. Wayne Lukas, the current "Mr. Controversy"
of racing. (People either love him or hate him.) Lukas also
trained some other horses for Hammer's Oaktown Stable, such as
the gelding Media Plan. Last I heard of Dance Floor, he was sold
for stud duty to New Zealand or Australia.

The horse, Mr. Brooks, who broke down in the Breeders' Cup
Sprint a few years ago, was oened by friends of the Brooks'. I
don't remember them being recognizable celebrities. The horse
was destroyed after the accident, and jockey Lester Piggot was
seriously injured.

James McCameron

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

In article <4nek4d$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, kmann...@aol.com (KMann17143) writes:
>In article <4kelvk$s...@tattoo.sccsi.com>, Jane Kilberg <jkil...@mcia.com>
>writes:
>
>>>I'm really stretching my memory on this one but I believe Rap musician
>>>MC Hammer owns atleast one TB race horse.
>>
>>You aren't stretching...He ran him at the Derby a couple years ago.

Yeah but whether he appreciates or even knows what said racehorse looks
like is another debate. More likely it's just been the in thing to do lately.

--
James McCameron Lewisville, Tx.
james.m...@dseg.ti.com
"Chlanna nan thigibh a so's gheib sibh feail"

Morgan James

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

Wasn't Hammer the one who started rumors of racism when his horse drew
on the outside for the start?
Morgan

Jackson

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

Morgan James wrote:

> Wasn't Hammer the one who started rumors of racism when his horse drew
> on the outside for the start?
> Morgan

Oh, ha ha (LOL). That's good. Even if its not true, let's spread the
rumor...
Bonnie in AZ

CB Leek

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

Jackson <oas...@primenet.com> wrote:

>Morgan James wrote:
>> Wasn't Hammer the one who started rumors of racism when his horse drew
>> on the outside for the start?

I know, Morgan, even the *race* was fixed?? <pun intended>

>Oh, ha ha (LOL). That's good. Even if its not true, let's spread the
>rumor...
>Bonnie in AZ

While I go along with the outright absurd humour of the situation, I
have problems with spreading false rumours. On principle. Especially
having been on the receiving end of a couple "dillys".
Having fun at the absurdity of a situation is different.

Corinne, who's been burned a time or few...
Troika, who hates to be burned...
Spy, wondering what *burn* means and if it's good to nibble at.

Ann Waller

May 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/27/96

> Morgan James wrote:
> >
> > Wasn't Hammer the one who started rumors of racism when his horse drew
> > on the outside for the start?

> > Morgan

> Oh, ha ha (LOL). That's good. Even if its not true, let's spread the
> rumor...

No, it really is true. The horse's name was Dance Floor and D. Wayne Lukas
trained him. The horse drew #17 (out of 19) in the Derby and drew the
outside post in the Preakness, which is the next Triple Crown race. I save
newspaper clippings on racing, and I have one from USA Today about
this...the headline says "Hammer's family fumes about post draw." It was
pretty stupid though, because the horse ended up doing pretty well...3rd
in the Derby and 4th in the Preakness.

Hammer's family also had a really good filly about this time named Lite
Light. I haven't heard about them having any horses recently, though.
Maybe they gave up because they thought the sport was too racist (yeah,
right!!!).

dmn...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2020, 4:19:12 PM4/25/20
Yes James Brolin was partners with my dad with Navajo Breeze at Diamond D L Ranch in Tujunga California also Carroll Shelby was syndicated with that horses well

John Hasler

Apr 25, 2020, 10:08:30 PM4/25/20
Good to see some activity on rec.eq. again.
--
John Hasler Boarding, Lessons, Training
jo...@dancinghorsehill.com Hay, Jumps, Cavallox