Anyone heard from Bill Grumbine?

mac davis

Feb 2, 2008, 1:51:48 PM2/2/08
Haven't seen any posts from him in quite a while and when I sent him an email it
bounced..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

nailsh...@aol.com

Feb 2, 2008, 3:39:54 PM2/2/08

You might try catching him at WoodCentral. He goes there a couple of
times a week when he isn't on the road.

Robert

mac davis

Feb 2, 2008, 5:28:35 PM2/2/08

Wow.. haven't been to W C in years...
have you seen any recent posts from him?

l.van...@rogers.com

Feb 2, 2008, 7:56:45 PM2/2/08
Why would you expect Grumbine to post here ?, I don't remember him
posting if he hadn't something to sell.
And yes he posted on Woodcentral yesterday, guess why
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

mac davis

Feb 2, 2008, 9:22:50 PM2/2/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:56:45 -0800 (PST), "l.van...@rogers.com"
<l.van...@rogers.com> wrote:

>Why would you expect Grumbine to post here ?, I don't remember him
>posting if he hadn't something to sell.
>And yes he posted on Woodcentral yesterday, guess why
>Have fun and take care
>Leo Van Der Loo

Thanks, Leo.. Glad that he's ok..

I remember him posting here quite a bit.. especially when I was shopping for my
1st lathe chuck a few years ago..

He also helped me choose my coring system here...
That's something else that's going to waste down here.. can't core a cactus..
lol

robo hippy

Feb 2, 2008, 11:40:12 PM2/2/08
Mac,
He does post on Wood Net also. Used to post on Sawmill Creek, but had
a disagreement with them also. He did change his e-mail address a year
or so again. I never remember any posts from him here. He did mention
that he was heading out to do another video and was looking for ideas.
robo hippy

On Feb 2, 6:22 pm, mac davis <macsplint...@bajadavis.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 16:56:45 -0800 (PST), "l.vander...@rogers.com"

mac davis

Feb 3, 2008, 12:28:55 AM2/3/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:40:12 -0800 (PST), robo hippy <reed...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Mac,
>He does post on Wood Net also. Used to post on Sawmill Creek, but had
>a disagreement with them also. He did change his e-mail address a year
>or so again. I never remember any posts from him here. He did mention
>that he was heading out to do another video and was looking for ideas.
>robo hippy

Thanks, Reed... I'll see if I can track down his new email..
It still shows the old one on both his personal page and wonderful wood..

l.van...@rogers.com

Feb 3, 2008, 4:47:30 AM2/3/08
On Feb 2, 9:22 pm, mac davis <macsplint...@bajadavis.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Leo.. Glad that he's ok..
>
> I remember him posting here quite a bit.. especially when I was shopping for my
> 1st lathe chuck a few years ago..

Maybe you should view his profile, I think your memory is going like
my hair ;-))
Yes he posts on a number of forums for the above stated reason, but
not to participate in it IMO.

l.van...@rogers.com

Feb 3, 2008, 5:00:56 AM2/3/08
On Feb 3, 12:28 am, mac davis <macsplint...@bajadavis.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:40:12 -0800 (PST), robo hippy <reedg...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
Hi Mac
I just did a little search, so if you do this one, you might be
surprised.

"sorta newby question on turning small jars boxes"

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

> mac

nailsh...@aol.com

Feb 3, 2008, 5:13:02 AM2/3/08
On Feb 3, 3:47 am, "l.vander...@rogers.com" <l.vander...@rogers.com>
wrote:

> Maybe you should view his profile, I think your memory is going like
> my hair ;-))
> Yes he posts on a number of forums for the above stated reason, but
> not to participate in it IMO.

You know, I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it, but I think
you are right. I went over the posts at WC, and well more than half
were him mentioning something to sell. That's great, and all fine and
good and I certainly don't have any problems with someone making a
buck!.

Sad, but I don't think he is participating much anymore except as a
drive by ad for his site, DVDs or teaching schedule.

Robert

mac davis

Feb 3, 2008, 1:23:46 PM2/3/08
On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 02:00:56 -0800 (PST), "l.van...@rogers.com"
<l.van...@rogers.com> wrote:

>On Feb 3, 12:28 am, mac davis <macsplint...@bajadavis.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:40:12 -0800 (PST), robo hippy <reedg...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>Hi Mac
>I just did a little search, so if you do this one, you might be
>surprised.
>
>"sorta newby question on turning small jars boxes"
>
>Have fun and take care
>Leo Van Der Loo

That's really strange, Leo..
As far as I know, I've never posted questions on woodturning anywhere but this
group..

LRod

Feb 3, 2008, 2:27:34 PM2/3/08

You guys should try watching WoodCentral during June and July when he
is coordinating his annual Five Barns picnic. I don't remember a
single sale during any of that. Nor at the picnic.

When did we turn so friggin' cynical about a really great guy?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

LRod

Feb 3, 2008, 4:52:00 PM2/3/08
<l.van...@rogers.com> wrote:

>Why would you expect Grumbine to post here ?, I don't remember him
>posting if he hadn't something to sell.
>And yes he posted on Woodcentral yesterday, guess why
>Have fun and take care
>Leo Van Der Loo

Is there something going on with you and Bill? That's a pretty snarky
attitude exhibited there. Doesn't jibe with the Bill Grumbine I know.

I just checked WC (3 Feb). I have my preferences set (on the Turning
Board) for four days. There was exactly one post (dated 1 Feb) from
Bill. And it was a gracious "thank you" post about some wood someone
had given him. My preferences on the main board is 2 weeks and there
is nothing from Bill in that time frame.

Is there another WoodCentral you're talking about?

mac davis

Feb 3, 2008, 10:48:05 PM2/3/08
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:27:34 +0000, LRod <duckecho@gmail-dot-.com> wrote:

>You guys should try watching WoodCentral during June and July when he
>is coordinating his annual Five Barns picnic. I don't remember a
>single sale during any of that. Nor at the picnic.
>
>When did we turn so friggin' cynical about a really great guy?

No idea.. I've exchanged several emails with Bill over the last 3 or 4 years and
he's been very helpful.. Every question that I ever asked him got answered in a
way that I could understand and made me feel that he didn't mind turning
questions at all.
I have 2 of his DVD's and plug them all of the time.. *g*
The first one showed me that I'd been holding the damn gouge wrong for like 20
years..

LRod

Feb 3, 2008, 11:51:25 PM2/3/08

It bothers me a lot, because I've cyber-known Bill for nearly ten
years. We go back to Badger Pond together and I finally met him
personally at a BP gathering in Indianapolis. I went to one of his
picnics a couple of years later. He has always been very helpful to
anyone needing it and it's never been a question of quid pro quo, just
as your experience indicates.

When he decided to take on woodworking and related activities for a
full time living a few years ago, I don't recall the altruism ending.
He did have to skip the picnic in (I think) 2005, however, but it was
back in spades the next year. It doesn't cost anyone a cent to go, and
he even has some space for campers (at no charge). Doesn't sound like
a money grubber to me.

He sells DVDs and charges people for lessons. Gee whiz, what a
scumbag. The Bill I know is one of the straightest shooters, morally,
ethically, whom I've ever met, and I'm embarrassed for him by the
aspersions cast here. He doesn't deserve that. Thanks for relating
your experience, Mac. It mirrors mine.

nailsh...@aol.com

Feb 4, 2008, 2:11:12 AM2/4/08
On Feb 3, 10:51 pm, LRod <ducke...@gmail-dot-.com> wrote:
>. Doesn't sound like
> a money grubber to me.

I read through the thread... I didn't see anyone that said he was.
Did I miss something? Is someone blocked on my end that I don't know
about?

> He sells DVDs and charges people for lessons. Gee whiz, what a
> scumbag.

Wow.... why would you say that? I firmly believe what I posted

> That's great, and all fine and
>good and I certainly don't have any problems with >someone making a buck!.

I believe that too. I haven't ever heard of anyone saying anything
bad about that man. He has helped a lot of people.

>The Bill I know is one of the straightest shooters, morally,
> ethically, whom I've ever met, and I'm embarrassed for him by the
> aspersions cast here. He doesn't deserve that.

All too true, even though I only know him from the net.

>Thanks for relating
> your experience, Mac. It mirrors mine.

Here's another for you. Several years ago when I was developing a
finish for high speed finishing on the lathe (ultimately, it didn't
pan out) he told me via email that if I sent him some and he liked it,
he would be glad to use it on his projects. How great an advertising
coup would that be?

But, taking up the tone of your post, I went back through the archives
of this group to see if any naysayers had a point. Sadly, I didn't
find one post from him in 2007.

But in 2006, there was a Nov post from him entitled "Bowl Turning DVDs
For Sale " and the one before that was in Oct was " New DVD - Beyond
the Basic Bowl - Shameless Ad"

I went back a few months more in 2006, and from him there were only
posts of updates on his DVD and comments on compatiblity issues,
etc.

I <never> realized that; all I thought when I read mac's post was
yeah, he is over at WC, as I posted. It wasn't until I thought about
things that Leo said it brought some other thoughts rattling around,
and then there was your post.

THAT made me go back and look to see what had or had not been posted.
And I was surprised. This obviously isn't his favorite venue anymore,
and as busy as he is with all his projects, you have to think, you
just can't participate everywhere. The lack of time to do all you
want is a casualty of success I suppose.

Still, it is sad that he doesn't post anymore here. I enjoyed the
updates to his website and the stories he used to tell like making
beer pulls to help pay the bills. I was glad to hear of his efforts
in making his DVDs, and several here that used to participate swore by
them.

Since I must have the poster that shit on Bill kill filed or blocked,
copy and paste him up here for us to see and we can all give him some
hell!

Robert

nailsh...@aol.com

Feb 4, 2008, 2:18:42 AM2/4/08
On Feb 3, 3:52 pm, LRod <ducke...@gmail-dot-.com> wrote:

> Is there something going on with you and Bill? That's a pretty snarky
> attitude exhibited there. Doesn't jibe with the Bill Grumbine I know.

Sounds like you and Bill are great friends. Good for you for taking
up for him.

> I just checked WC (3 Feb). I have my preferences set (on the Turning
> Board) for four days. There was exactly one post (dated 1 Feb) from
> Bill. And it was a gracious "thank you" post about some wood someone
> had given him. My preferences on the main board is 2 weeks and there
> is nothing from Bill in that time frame.
>
> Is there another WoodCentral you're talking about?

I anything be wrong here, and don't want to step in anything, but Leo
isn't a very abrasive kind of guy. In context of first four posts in
this thread, I am thinking that Leo's comments were in regards to
posting HERE, not at WC. It was obvious that mac didn't have WC in
mind when he asked the question.

>Wow.. haven't been to W C in years...
>have you seen any recent posts from him?

>mac

Just a thought. Been wrong about other things though.
Hell, I thought the Pat were gonna march right through the Giants.

Robert

CM

Feb 4, 2008, 9:01:51 AM2/4/08
It happens everytime someone sells something among a group of hobbyists They
sell something of value to the group and someone is always put off by it. I
don't know Bill, but he did kindly answer a few questions for me several
years ago. I don't own any of his cd's but I am glad to know they are
available. He doesn't flood us with spam but makes us aware that his videos
are available. To be successful in Bill's business he has to work his behind
off. I am quite confident he is not getting rich off his efforts. I have a
little business buying and selling vintage travel trailers and there are a
few people that think I gouge my customers. Those people are welcome to look
in my wallet or bank account to witness the dark emptiness. Most of my posts
in the vintage trailer discussion groups are to promote my business. There
is always someone more articulate than I to answer their trailer questions.

More rambling thoughts,

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"mac davis" <macspl...@bajadavis.com> wrote in message

Drew Lawson

Feb 4, 2008, 9:07:38 AM2/4/08
In article <qj1cq3hj0tp71tfiv...@4ax.com>

Google isn't the only one that takes Usenet groups and makes them
look like a forum hosted at that site.

Heh. Ustabe that we'd run into people who didn't realise they were
using a Usenet group gatewayed to FidoNet. Now they think they're
using someone's web forum.

New medium, same confusion.

--
Drew Lawson http://www.furrfu.com/ dr...@furrfu.com

In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened
but inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
-- Ambrose Bierce

Ralph E Lindberg

Feb 5, 2008, 8:39:59 AM2/5/08
In article <jVEpj.196611$MJ6....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"CM" <Kay...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> It happens everytime someone sells something among a group of hobbyists They
> sell something of value to the group and someone is always put off by it. I
> don't know Bill, but he did kindly answer a few questions for me several
> years ago. I don't own any of his cd's but I am glad to know they are
> available. He doesn't flood us with spam but makes us aware that his videos
> are available. To be successful in Bill's business he has to work his behind
> off. I am quite confident he is not getting rich off his efforts. I have a
> little business buying and selling vintage travel trailers and there are a
> few people that think I gouge my customers. Those people are welcome to look
> in my wallet or bank account to witness the dark emptiness. Most of my posts
> in the vintage trailer discussion groups are to promote my business. There
> is always someone more articulate than I to answer their trailer questions.
>
> More rambling thoughts,
>
> cm
>
> www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Good thoughts, you probably hang around, what is it TinTents? (I have
been involved with RV groups since the very beginning of RV on the Net:
I used alt.rv and the old rv-list, I was on the old Good-Sam email list
and lead the effort to create rec.outdoors.rv-travel)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Anthony Selvereo

Jan 6, 2022, 12:15:14 AM1/6/22
Bill passed away from COVID related pneumonia earlier in 2021. He was my ex father in law

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/woodturning/anyone-heard-from-bill-grumbine-44651-.htm

Ralph E Lindberg

Jan 6, 2022, 10:12:26 PM1/6/22
On 2022-01-06 05:15:03 +0000, Anthony Selvereo said:

> Bill passed away from COVID related pneumonia earlier in 2021. He was
> my ex father in law

Anthony I was sorry when I heard this last summer and more sorry when I
learned he had died from something preventable.

(for wider context Anthony was answer a questioon about Bill that had
been asked 13 years ago when he largely went off line)