Turning Clubs in Eastern Massachusetts?

Alan Holbrook

Dec 31, 2022, 5:43:54 AM12/31/22
Is anyone aware of any that are active and welcome newcomers?

Thanks...

Graham

Dec 31, 2022, 9:05:41 AM12/31/22
On 2022-12-31 3:43 a.m., Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any that are active and welcome newcomers?
>
> Thanks...
Most in North America are affiliated with the AAW so check their
website: https://www.woodturner.org/

BTW It would be rare to find a WT club that didn't welcome newcomers.

Alan Holbrook

Jan 1, 2023, 4:48:36 AM1/1/23
Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:SkXrL.29790$8blb....@fx01.iad:
Good information. Thanks, Graham.

Graham

Jan 1, 2023, 10:45:24 PM1/1/23
Let us know if you find one near enough to attend.

Alan Holbrook

Jan 2, 2023, 5:02:30 AM1/2/23
Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:mrssL.179163$vBI8.162452
@fx15.iad:

> On 2023-01-01 2:46 a.m., Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote in news:SkXrL.29790$8blb.20483
@fx01.iad:

>>> Most in North America are affiliated with the AAW so check their
>>> website: https://www.woodturner.org/
>>>
>>> BTW It would be rare to find a WT club that didn't welcome newcomers.
>>>

>> Good information. Thanks, Graham.
>
> Let us know if you find one near enough to attend.

There are a couple listed that are close enough to me to be of interest:
the Association of Revolutionary Turners in Woburn, MA, and Central New
England Woodturners in Berlin, MA. I've gotten to the age where I'm not
fond of driving in the winter or in the dark, so it might not be until
the spring before I check them out. But I have the AAW site bookmarked.

Thanks again...

Dave Leader

Jan 2, 2023, 10:12:03 AM1/2/23
On Saturday, December 31, 2022 at 5:43:54 AM UTC-5, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any that are active and welcome newcomers?
>
> Thanks...
https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+turning+club+in+eastern+massachutte&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS905US905&oq=wood+turning+club+in+eastern+massachut&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j33i160l3.18591j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alan Holbrook

Jan 3, 2023, 4:36:51 AM1/3/23
Dave Leader <dave....@gmail.com> wrote in
Thanks, Dave, but the vast majority of the results from that query are
either businesses selling product or organizations that are far away from
Eastewrn Mass.

Jim Diamond

Jan 6, 2023, 5:05:14 PM1/6/23
My club was on-line only for a year (or was it more?) because of
Covid. While a zoom meeting was not as nice as an in-person meeting,
we did make it work (to a degree). Since returning to in-person
meetings we have been considering doing hybrid meetings (in person for
people who can make it and are comfortable doing so, and zoom for
people who can't/won't come in person (health concerns, winter travel
issues, ...). Perhaps one of the clubs near you is doing on-line or
hybrid meetings right now, maybe you want to ask around a bit.

Good luck with the hunt.

Jim

Alan Holbrook

Jan 7, 2023, 4:39:54 AM1/7/23
Jim Diamond <JimDi...@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in

> Good luck with the hunt.
>
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. Personally, I think Zoom (closely followed by con calls) is
the work of Beelzebub, but that's just a personal opinion...:-)

Graham

Jan 7, 2023, 8:45:22 AM1/7/23
During the depths of covid, my club, usually in combination with two
others in the Province, subscribed to several well-known turners'
live demos such as Nick Agar and Glenn Lucas via Zoom. Well worth it.
Graham

Alan Holbrook

Jan 8, 2023, 4:25:02 AM1/8/23
Graham <g.st...@shaw.ca> wrote in
Probably was well worth it in that example. My "love" of Zoom came from
having to use it to conduct meetings of the rare disease organization I ran
at the tme. I much prefer (as I'm sure you do if given the choice) face-
to-face inter action.

Graham

Jan 8, 2023, 9:01:50 AM1/8/23
Certainly! Agar was to have visited and given classes at a local timber
supplier but covid intervened. I have tried emulating one of his
decorating techniques but I get a different result each time I try it.
A hands on supervision would have cured that.